Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I'm facing the exact same issue at mars04. I also live in Ohio. Initially, I was favoring 4WD but as Winter has progressed (and called to mind our recent mostly mild winters), my view is starting to shift more toward the 2WD. The cost is significantly less and, while it is true that much of it can be recovered on resale, it's still considerable. I'm fortunate to have multiple vehicles with front wheel drive with traction control and have never gotten stuck. However, the piece of mind (not an excuse to drive without caution) of 4WD can't be denied. Here, in Columbus, we've had only one day this season where 4WD would have been handy. I, too, would like to hear real life experiences on this issue. Thanks!
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    Well at the other "better" website (I like that) there was a huge debate on this issue. The general conclusion after a long discussion was this:

1) Get what you can afford. If you can afford 4WD and you want 4WD go with the 4WD. Further the 4WD will probably have better resale value in the end.

2) In the mid-Atlantic and places outside of the snow belt (I'll assume you live in southern Ohio and not in Cleveland or up by the Great Lakes) the Z-66 package 2WD is more than enough. Even 4WD owners who live in areas where it snows have stated that they drive in 2-Hi or Auto Trac most of the time and rarely use 4-Hi.

3) No matter what you do if you buy a 1500 series get the Z-66 or Z-71 package. For what you get in either of them the added price is an absolute bargain (heck just price out 17" rims and tires alone).
  • bayhunterbayhunter Member Posts: 3
    So, what happens if I mention the name of that other, "better" website?
    Am I going to get struck by lightning, or what?
    Let's see...
    dubbya dubbya dubbya dot chevyavalanchefanclub dot com

Ouch! eww!
    Nah! I'm still here.

Hey, it's not my website. I don't even know who's it is.

Go and check it out. The folks over there are very friendly. And, extremely helpful.

Ok, I'll duck as I click on the "Post My Message" button, just to play it safe.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Picking on this " other AV site " when I don't see them blanking out other sites with ford or the mention of the durango owners site. Are they afraid of it? It's one model........
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    IT was stated above pretty good. Get what you can afford.

I personally think resale value is soley dependant on the area you live in and I cannot see 4wd being that much of an added value when used.

Heck I would be scared of problems and such from a used 4wd. Not knowing how the previous owner used it or abused it. JUST my 2 cents.

I plan on having my AVY for so long I will not care about resale value!
  • skippy_xskippy_x Member Posts: 2
    The discussion about capability in snow is good, but one other consideration you might want to make is whether or not your plans include towing a boat. 4WD makes it much easier to pull a heavy boat up out of the water on a slick or slimy boat ramp.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I have never had to use it in the 8 months that I have had my AV. I don't think I will renew OnStar when my year is up. It seems pretty useless to me.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    need it. BUT...........
  • helmutkhelmutk Member Posts: 3
    I use my Onstar basically for the cell phone capability. Since it is built in it is more powerful than a portable cell phone, gets great service and is hands free. Also since there are no long distance charges it works out cheaper than my portable cell phone. I use the Internet features on occasion for news and weather.
    It is like insurance...you never know when you will need it but when you do thank you god.

PS it also lowers insurance rates due to the theft tracking capability.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    In using the personal calling feature (during the trial period), the people I would call would complain about the quality of the satellite transmission. Also, you can not access extensions, voicemail, etc. that requires subsequent keypad dialing. Onstar is very limited - and at $.67/minute, use of a cell phone is much more economical.

The safety and security plan is a great feature - but for a couple hundred dollars a year - do you dial 911 on your cell and try to avoid locking the keys inside?
    I like it for the theft tracking and insurance discount.

PLus they use analog Cellular for the phone hook ups.

The satelite is for tracking from what I understand?
  • gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    From what I understand is that Onstar hasn't reached it's full maturity yet. As far as what it can do now I guess the Chevy dealers weren't to informative in their explanations. When I bought my Olds they were very helpful and taught me everything that I could do with it.

Theft recovery, vehicle navigation, vehicle control, cell phone, and safety features. When your vehicle is stolen all you have to do is call Onstar, they will disable the vehicle and tell the cops where it's located (better than low jack). If you are lost all you have to do is hit the button, the support agent will tell you exactly where you are at, and then tell you how to get where you need to go. The cell phone sevice is pretty good, but it cost way too much. I would only use this in case of an emergency. Also if you ever have a problem with you car, call onstar, if the "service engine soon light" is on they can diagnose your problem while you drive down the road. This can save you from expensive troublesome repairs. Oh and safety is really cool, if your airbags ever go off, don't worry about it police and paramedics will be there soon.

Now if you upgrade to the comfort service! You essentially have a personal freaking secretary while driving down the road! They will tell you where the nearest Italian restaurant, or cleaners is, or whatever you want. Plus they are a personal navigator whenever you like. Also soon they will include voice reading of emails and voice activated internet searching.

So really it's pretty cool.
  • ak4x4ak4x4 Member Posts: 126
    An Av 1500 or 2500 4x4 or Z71 4x4 with a Plow on the Front, or working with other plow trucks. Where ya gonna put the snow, in the bed, and risk messing up you inners??? Then ya gonna call onstar to complain that the snow hurt the interior?? All this truck will ever be is a soccer mom mobile. Just like the Burbans. If it's all the same I'll keep my 01 Silverado 1500 with a plow package and a nice big bed... And yeah, I don't have leather or onstar either... But then again when you buy a truck you dont' want all that stuff. I say if you want that route, buy a Benz, or other yuppie mobile....
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "Where ya gonna put the snow, in the bed"

Who in the heck puts the snow they plow in the bed?
    Has you rado forum gotten boring???
    Hummm where else ya gonna put it. You have to put it in someone elses bed or have them put it in yours.. Take a look at our trucks compared to the rubbermaid mobile. Just look at the bed. Not saying the Avalanche isn't a good truck, just not for those who worry about admaging our leather seats while carring lumber back from Home Depot.

Went down to the dealer yesterday, and saw a couple looking at an avalanche. Funny All I heard the salesman saying was payment, and how the truck could outperform the 1500's and 2500's. Funny considering how it is built on the same frame, and has the 5.3 the same as us!!!

To me it just looks like one of those storage bins that you buy at Wal-mart. With Legos all over the side... I am sure my girlfriend would want one. But I think she'll keep her Expedition.

And ryan to answer your question: That would take some plow huh?? LOL One that can reach over the cab to dump!
  • venadolocovenadoloco Member Posts: 10
    Probably an old question, but I'm just about ready to buy an AV and I wonder what the experience has been on how well sealed to normal rain etc. is the AV bed while covered by the 3 piece hard cover. Will bags in the bed and other stuff be in danger of getting wet?
  • plutolouplutolou Member Posts: 12
    I was wondering what was the general consensus on the Roof Rack. From what I have read some people have been unhappy with them. Whether it be the poor installation or just the poor quality in general. In searching gmbuypower.com and carmax.com for new Avalanches I have been weeding out those with a roof rack that is already dealer installed. Plus I feel I will never facilitate the need for a rooof rack. Am I being too narrow minded? Thanks
    You said:

Take a look at our trucks compared to the rubbermaid mobile...

OK, but the same composite bed is going to be in all Silverados. GMC's with 4-wheel steer, and starting this spring ANY Chevy truck with 4-wheel steer will have completely plastic fenders and quarters.

Sheet metal is NOT the definition of a quality vehicle in the 21st century. If steel is the "gold standard" than how do you explain the all aluminum Audi A-8 (one of the best engineered cars in the world), the fiberglass encased Corvette (C&D 10 best), any Saturn built (with almost all composite panels).

When the Fed raises CAFE standards and closes the SUV loop hole, you better get use to composites, or plan on driving an S-10 if you still want metal.

And here is some food for thought, with a composite bed, liner, and top rails in aircraft flooring materials, I'd take a front end loader load of gravel in the back of my Avalanche WAY before I'd do it in a Silverado, Ram, F-150 - if I'm comparing stock model to stock model. I didn't have to pay extra for a bed liner, or rails, or other protection.

I'll take it one step further. Would you go to Home Depot, but $3,000 in tools, load them up in your truck, and then park in a supermarket parking lot all day in a major city. Oh wait, one more spin, truck has to be stock no after market cargo covers allowed.

Didn't think so...

OK, one more pop quiz. With no brush guard, bull bars, or lift kit, would you drag a new Silverado through packed, dense Pacific Northwest blackberry bushes that are sitting 3 feet high? Hey, one of my composite rear quarters costs a whopping $45 and best of all, I can replace them myself. How much will a repaint of that steel cost?

You know it is funny how people lament how, "they don't build them like they use to."

The first small trucks frames were hand made.

Out of wood!
    Dude - the rack is of excellent quality. Here are the two issues:

1) SOME dealers were using poor technique when installing the roof rack. Two issues were coming up. First, in some cases they drilled the holes to deep. This was causing water to seep into through the roof, down the B & C pillars and on to the floor. Second problem was they were just brushing aside the metal shavings from drilling. These shavings would get between the sheet metal and the weather stripping along the top of the doors and cause rust.

2) This problem is not unique to the Avalanche - but any vehicle equipped with a sunroof and a roof rack. There is a long read on the aerodynamic reasons for this on "the OTHER Avalanche website that cannot be mentioned here."

Basically if you have the sunroof, and it's open, and you're driving at highway speed, and the forward bar is OVER or forward of the sunroof, you'll hear wind noise. The solution is simple, move the front bar back to the B pillar or further behind. This problem is on the Trailblazer, Subaru Outback, etc. etc.

So - how do you solve the worry? Well first if you don't WANT the roof rack you should get what you want, period. However if in looking at GM Buy Power or other sites you see an Avalanche with a roof rack in inventory, it doesn't mean the roof rack was already installed! It may still be sitting in the bed of the truck, so don't filter just based on you don't want the roof rack.

If you do look at one with a roof rack it's real easy to figure out if it was installed right. Open up all the doors, get up there, fold the weather stripping back and look down. Metal shavings and rust? Forget that Avalanche and IMHO doing business with that dealer. You just got an education on how their service department does things.

No rust, no metal shavings nice and clean (like my Avalanche) - they did it right. The factory rack will support up to 150 pounds, is full adjustable and GM comes with a wide range of accessories for skis, cargo boxes, kayaks, bikes, cargo rack, etc. etc. etc.

I hope this answers your questions. If you do some digging in the 1500's of the thread, you may find some more information on the website we're not suppose to talk about!

:-)
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    I let my Ava sit in 2 heavy windy rain (and later snow) storms for a few days. There was no leak inside the cab or on the rubber mat at the bed. However, there was some moisture under the mat. The manual says that the channels under the mat are expected to be wet. They are part of the 'water management system'. It even shows diagrams of the areas that would get wet.

I have read somewhere that an owner had leaks inside the cab but was fixed by the dealer.
    First off composite is just that a composite. I would like to see a commercial grade composite(Like in the Saturns) take a impact better then sheet metal in a full-size truck. In a car it's great, but fact is a truck is a heavier vechicle.

Second: How many pro-Tec boxes have you seen?? I have only seen one on a LT. I have heard that that option was a tough one to find.

To quote you for a moment:but the same composite bed is going to be in all Silverados. GMC's with 4-wheel steer, and starting this spring ANY Chevy truck with 4-wheel steer will have completely plastic fenders and quarters.

Ummm you're talking about Sierra Denalis and Rado LT's that are going to be 40+ Grand. And how many people are going to go out and buy a 40K half ton??? And I have seen the pics same as you, I know the front end of the 03 rados is going to look like the Avalanche.

And the Vette thing: Have you ever seen a new Vette crash?? I have. I would never rate it one of the 10 best. Since in 75% of all Corvette related accidents the driver winds up dead!. Now if you were to say Carbon Fiber, then I would agree with you.

And ummm, no blackberry bushes up here. Just good ole dirt roads and tundras. But Alaska is alot different from WA or Oregon. So to answer your question Yes, but just not in mine!

And why would I park all day in a supermarker lot?? If I lived in a Major city where I could take the bus or other means of transportation, I would save my money!

But honestley, would you buy a 40k Half ton?? didn't think so.

And why don't you compare sometime. They are built on the same chassies. But then again keep in mind when you try to load that wood into your Avalanche's bed, don't hit the leather seats!.

Plus I hate SUV's so I would never buy one regardless of who it was from. Things are unsafe in my opinion. But what is an Avalance?? A SUV or a pickup?? Looks like a Mutt. Looks like a Rado and a Burban goot hooked up and went out!.
    Thanks luvsuv for the feedback on the "leak"...sure hope that "water management" doesn't end up like the pop in the front end of my wife's Crown Vic. The dealer said and wrote on the shop slip, "operating in accordance with factory design"..! (Sure do hate to do business with designers that work hard to get a pop in the front end..!)

Really too late for me anyway since I ordered the AV today and will be able to provide my own feedback pretty soon. 1500 4WD and I took one that had the roof rack on it...after reading the earlier notes now I'm worried about that...phooey..!
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    Congrats! You will love it. I have absolutely no regrets. It's the most functional vehicle I've owned. I thought people might find the look a little too radical. To the contrary, I've got so many compliments from fellow snow-boarders to the guys at the lumber yard.

The roof rack is a dealer installed item. If you worry, tell the dealership to notify you when your Av comes in before they put the rack on. Then, tell the guy who installs your rack or the service manager that there is a TSB regarding the rack installation. Hopefully, they will do it right.

I live in the snow country. The Av handles the icy roads like a champ. The cladding is god sent for the sand and salt.
    ak4x4 wrote:

Ummm you're talking about Sierra Denalis and Rado LT's that are going to be 40+ Grand. And how many people are going to go out and buy a 40K half ton??? And I have seen the pics same as you, I know the front end of the 03 rados is going to look like the Avalanche.

I STRONGLY suggest you read GM press releases before you make this claim. In another two to three months four wheel steer, complete with those plastic fenders and quarters will be available on ALL, read any, the whole line up, every single one, of Chevrolet and GMC trucks as an option. Several magazines have already looked at other trucks over the GMC with this option and have praised it has a huge victory for GM, plastic fenders and all. Ya, it's pricy at $3,500 but the package shines during trailer towing especially in emergency manuevering (that's the reviews not GM talking).

Look, I'm glad you like your vinyl interior throw up floor sheet metal drag it through the woods truck. I'm sorry you're offended by your badge of truckdom that General Motors has the audacity to want to beat Ford for the first time in 25 years in light truck sales. If you look at the corporate strategy, Ford's numbers, and GM numbers, the loss of market share Ford should have this year, the ground being gained by the Silverado, and the 100,000 plus Avalanches that will be sold this year (the General has moved over 55,000 units as of January 2002) it will put GM over the top and make the CK-1500 the most popular truck in America.

Ya, shame on GM for wanting to delivery share holder equity while at the same time deliver to the customers what they want.

You then also wrote:

And why would I park all day in a supermarker lot?? If I lived in a Major city where I could take the bus or other means of transportation, I would save my money!

This is called denial. Sorry, I don't know anyone who goes to Home Depot on the bus to buy a table saw, lawn mower, gas grille, and some plywood. Of course the key difference between a regular half-ton and an Avalanche is I can have all that in the bed locked away and secure from prying eyes and still go to the supermarket afterwards.

Then you also wrote:

But honestley, would you buy a 40k Half ton?? didn't think so.

Wrong - I did and I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world (well the sticker was just under $40K - it's not what I paid). Further over 55,000 people have ponied up, and the General expects to sell about 15,000 Cadillac EXT's that sticker for $51,000. Before you say GM is delusional, Lincoln expects to sell 10,000 Blackwoods this year and I haven't even tapped the $45K to $70K luxury SUV market.

Ya, I could have got the vinyl interior hand crank throw up on the floor no AC AM radio equipped Silverado. Would be great to drag through the woods and beat up. However I don't like how my skin sticks to vinyl, and I'd rather not here each individual cylinder fire. If you're comparing a "work" truck to an Avalanche is apples and oranges.

The bottom line is the Avalanche is a genius play on GM's part to beat Ford in overall 1/2 ton sales in 2002. It's called profit and market share...
    sales GM could have if they had a real 1/2 ton CC Pickup. I see an AWFUL LOT of Ford S'Crews on the road.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    What's wrong with the kids of today, step back and look at the parents, they bash one another even in the same family (GM). A person buys what they want for their purpose not their neighbors. If someone wants to buy a 4x4 AV just to go to the grocery store, more power to them.

I doubt the bushman from alaska would ride a bus anywhere if he lived in the city. And to think he says he's looking for a 2002 BMW M3. I'd spend 40K on a pickup anyday over a bmw.

I wonder if edmonds has spell checker in alaska?
    This forum is going down hill fast!
  • f1julesf1jules Member Posts: 288
    For all those embracing the plastic loving av, Isn't the the plastic cladding mounted over steel quarter panels? I mean really, what is the point? You have metal under there anyway, do you want to make the vehicle heavier? and uglier? Is that the goal of the design team? Seriously, I want to know...
    Outdoor, you are missing my point here:

The point I am trying to make is How many of 1/2 Silverado owners will currently spend 40+ grand on a new 1/2 ton???

Maybe you did, but if I was going to spend 40k on a truck I would have bought a 3500 Diesel dually and not a Chevy either.

And you're avalanche is just as safe as our trucks. Your locking topper can be broken into just as fast as everyone elses.

Seems like you're skating around my question that's all. I am not saying that I would not buy an LS with quadrasteer, but there are some of us who want to keep it to a minimum. To me a truck is just that a truck. My BMW on the other hand is just that a BMW to very different vehicles made for two very different reasons.

And just for your info, quadrasteer is only going to be offered in AWD form for the 2003 model year. geee Lets see ya take on a 4wd. Unless that's what GMC says I may be wrong.

And serious, you're saying you would spend 40K on a truck and leave it in a supermarket parking lot each day, even if you lived in a big city and could walk, or ride a bike to work??? C'amon seems like a waste of a paycheck to me, but hey it's your dollar.

And do this for me, because I have checked and checked, at several dealers and at GMbuypower.com. Find me a quadrasteer LS or LT extended cab 1500 and I will never say another word to you about that again!. I have seen the Denalis but that's about it.

And when are you going to get, that an Avalanche is a Silverado??? Take away the fenders, and bigger cab, it's a 1500 extended cab. So in a way due to your amazing disbelief it was made from a work truck and is a worktruck.

But wait, you just said it was not a worktruck. So what is it?? A soccer mom puller?? Just curious.

And how can you compare the same engine??? Just curious how you can compare a Chevy 327 to a 327??

And after all you have those composite fenders. Don't ya. I bet ya all that plastic on the Av will not hurt the paint!

One more thing, I would love to see you load up with wood and be able to "Lock" your bed away from prying eyes! Taht would be one feat to see. Especially when they stick out of your tailgate.

Keep in mind I am not saying the Av is a bad truck, I quite like it. It's just not like a pickup. If they made a 26K avalanche maybe I would buy it. But for now I'll stick with my Ls extended cab 4x4.

And Bowhunt: I bet ya the 40k you would spend on a truck would not be on a Chevy.
    And keep in mind I own several cars one being a BMW, the other being an older VW GTi 16V, the trucks of course being the Rado, and the 84 Blazer, and a New arrival a 86 K-5 blazer 4x4.

And yes if they have the money more power to em, not my hard earned buck!
    But it'd be a Lightning, , Chevy SSR, the soon to arrive? Silverado SS, the V10 Dodge, or one like that. BTW......the Av is a gussied (or hacked) up Sub. not an ext cab.
    We are gaining speed as we tumble down the this forum hill!
    Yeah me too... That's something I would spend 40K on... Personally I would take a Reg Cab short bed 1500 and put the 8.1 in it. That would be a True SS496 and would whip the Lightnings.

But back to the Av subject. To me after thinking it over and going to the store and seeing another one! It looks like a 1500 HD Crew Cab. Just with a shorter box??

What are the box dimentions of the Av Just curious if it's a full 6 foot bed or not.

And if Chevy took the bed cover off the Av what would it look like?? U gessed it a Ford Sport-Trac just bigger!!

And Txyank, a Silverado EXT cab 1500 is built on a Burbans chassies same as the Av. So the overall lenghth is close to the same or the same. As far as I can tell I am the same lenghth as a Burban 1500. I'll check that claim out more, but I am pretty sure their are about the same.

And I would say more Gussied up. I do like the front end however, which for '03 will apply to the Rados as well...

Imagine an AV quadrasteer Z71??? That would be one nice truck if you don't mind all the plastic. Just I wonder what they would re-name it. Avalanche Denali or something like that??
    the Av dimensions but it's been stated numerous times in Town Hall that it's built on a Sub. chassis. The 1500 ex-cab has quite a bit longer wb and is slightly longer overall than a Sub.
  • loclassloclass Member Posts: 5
    AK4x4, you really need to get your facts straight before you go spouting off with misinformation. The Av is built on the Sub chassis, so it has the same wheelbase. The AV is about 2.5 inches longer than a Sub. As far as the ext. cab Silverado being the same length as a Sub, wrong answer. An ext. cab short bed Silverado is 6" longer in overall length and 13.5" longer in wheelbase than a Suburban.

The reason you can only find quadrasteer on the Denali pickup is because it's only offered on the Denali right now. It will go full stream in the '03 model year, and will not be an AWD only option. Look for it on the ext cabs, crew cab short box HD's and 3/4 ton Suburbans/Yukon XLs.

I'm not trying to get in the middle of this arguement, rather I'm trying to set facts straight to stop the spread of misinformation.
    Anyone have any thing useful to say?

Kinda sick of these flame wars.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    that "other" site.
    Read my post posts. It should become clear that I have stated I did not know the dimentions. So get off my back. I was asking anyone if they knew.

So let me follow you for a moment: Yes I know my 1500 is longer then a Burban. But What you're saying does not make any sense.

If an AV is longer then a Burban and a 1500 then how would it be built on the same chassies?? I can understand body parts, but unless you're talking about the Av 2500 it seems odd that's all.

And speaking of the AV what is it?? Is it an SUV or a pickup??
  • emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    AFAIK, Av & Sub use the same frame. Silverados use a different one. But all are fab'd using the same techniques.

Av bed is 5'3".

> "And speaking of the AV what is it?? Is it an SUV or a pickup??"

None of the above. It's internet troll bait. Just mention "Avalanche" anywhere--usenet or any of the many message boards--and someone will spring forth to berate the vehicle. But not just once, obsessively--as though someone will change their minds.

I've chatted with curious passersby. One guy at WalMart mentioned he'd bought a Dodge. I could tell he wasn't an internet poster because he didn't follow me around the store telling me how the Av isn't a real truck, how ugly it is, or that I paid too much.

empty
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    in overall length makes no real difference. The 13.5" (or whatever) added wheelbase is what makes the ext cab Silverado harder to maneuver(sp?). Sub and Av are the same w/b, same chassis.
    -- Don
    Yeah I go there much much more now.
  • loclassloclass Member Posts: 5
    ak: Please reread my post and do the math. I said the ext cab silverado is 6" longer than a Sub and an Av is 2.5" longer than a Sub. That would make the Av 3.5" shorter than an ext cab Silverado.
    Well I picked up my AV and have a whopping 150 miles on it..! Still trying to learn all of the little things about it but so far great ride and interior, funky exterior that I'm starting to get used to. Not much choice there since I tend to keep vehicles forever. I am still convinced that it is going to be just what I wanted for hunting in south TX and Mexico. One thing I noticed that was a turn off was on the left side with the tailgate open there is a 3/8" pin sticking out that I believe is part of the latching, this pin has a washer (1 1/4" dia.) under it and that dude is as rusty as if it had been soaked in saltwater. Pretty obvious and indicates lousy materials or coatings. Worries me about the things I can't see..!
  • uhlmeuhlme Member Posts: 4
    I am seriously considering purchasing an Av in the next 2 days, but I have a couple of questions:

I know they are assembled in Mexico, does anyone know what percentage of parts are made in the USA?

Does anyone know why the base price was adjusted $220 in December 2001?

What kind of gas mileage(in what type of driving) do you get w/ the Z66 package and 3.73 rearend?

Do the side mirrors work with the seat memory setting?

Are the rebates going up or down after Feb?

Is there a certain build date I should look for?

What changes are going to made for 2003? Upgraded audio and keyless entry for the tailgate?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    uhlme - I have many of the same questions and I am in the same boat, debating whether to get an Av before Feb. 28.

One problem I have is trying to get a 2WD Z66 model Av with the bench front seat. It seems that 90% of Avs have the bucket seats. I need to have the ability to tote 6 people around on occassion, so the buckets are out for me.
  • uhlmeuhlme Member Posts: 4
    I am seriously considering purchasing an Av in the next 2 days, but I have a couple of questions:

I know they are assembled in Mexico, does anyone know what percentage of parts are made in the USA?

Does anyone know why the base price was adjusted $220 in December 2001?

What kind of gas mileage(in what type of driving) do you get w/ the Z66 package and 3.73 rearend?

Do the side mirrors work with the seat memory setting?

Are the rebates going up or down after Feb?

Is there a certain build date I should look for?

What changes are going to made for 2003? Upgraded audio and keyless entry for the tailgate?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • idocpilkidocpilk Member Posts: 18
    I have seen a number of Z66 Avs with the bench seats. You can do an exhaustive search on GmBuypower.com or your dealer can do a search. Don't know where you live...check Dallas, Austin,
    LittleRock...southern states in general. The $2002 is off for sure on 2/28...replaced with $1000 rebate. This is from GM to my brother who is the controller of Reliable Chev in Springfield, MO. Email idopilk@aol.com I may be able to direct you to the right AV...I've searched until I'm sick of it...found mine in Ft. Smith Ark. Don't know about any changes in 2003...gas mileage is supposed to be 14-18 probably pretty accurate. Don't know where the $220 came from...still alot with the old price though. Oh yea...Memphis has 2wd...
    I am paying $25500 after 2002 and 1000 gm for a 32610 truck...Z66 with RR/AS. Most dealers will go invoice over the phone (some are trying to hold on to 1-200$). Easy to make a deal...SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW sales.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    No link to the seat memory - sorry.
    One thing that I discovered on my new AV is that the side storage boxes are great and will hold all of that "stuff" that either flopped around in the bed of my previous PU or had to be kept in a box. Really neat feature and they are suprisingly large.
This discussion has been closed.