Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• fastz28fastz28 Member Posts: 19
    I'm getting consistently 16mpg, mixed, about 60% hwy. My Z66 isn't quite yet broken in, only 2500 miles.

When I got mine, there are plenty of front bench Z66 in Austin, TX.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Very few Z66 models here in the northeast, so I spent the extra money and got a black Z71 with the bench seat. I just wonder if I'll be towing a gas tank behind me due to low mpg of the 4WD. Is the 13/17 mpg rating 1 mpg less than the 2WD model (14/18) due to the 300 extra pound weight of the 4WD model?
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    probably the weight and the extra friction due to the transfer case and front axle.
  • shaneashanea Member Posts: 3
    Insider information not correct - GM renewed rebates.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Awhile back these were being discussed. FYI.... I saw a 1/18 scale in K-B Toys last night. Only one I saw was red.....$17.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We've been looking into buying a new Avalanche 2wd, and I have a few questions as to price & options.

-Lately, what prices have you been seeing or have gotten? We live in the Northeast (Delaware to be exact) and I've been searching inventories on GMbuypower lately. I've found a few that are close to what we'd want and they all sticker right around $33,000. There's the $2002 rebate still until April, but what kind of discount would a dealer be giving? How much off or at invoice before the rebate? I remember reading people getting close to about $5,000 grand off w/o (I think) the rebate factored in. Any better or worse?

-From what I was looking though, I could find a few Pewter Z66's, some with the buckets, and one or two with the Conveniance package, but none with sunroof. Idealy, we'd like to get a Pewter Z66 with the sunroof only and just the standard bench seat. But, from what I've seen so far, the closest I can get is the Z66 and the bench seat. So, have any of you had the dealer install an aftermarket power sunroof? Good results and price? Or, would you recommend just having the exact one we want located if possible?

-Also, what have been the main problems any of you've had? Any rattles or leaks? That's one of the main reasons we want to ditch our 2000 Chrysler 300M as rattles and squeaks are annoying and are hard to fix. We also have a trunk that leaks sometimes, but that's probably because of being rear-ended back in October. Beautiful car, but we've jsut been to the dealer one too many times, the quality isn't that great, and we want something bigger and safer. The Avalanche is absolutely perfect for us, size, power, looks, it has it all.

-Is it really as smooth and quiet on the road as everyone says? Anything is better than our 300M here too, as it's one of the noisiest cars we've had. We don't want road noise nor do we want to fell all the bumps.

Thanks again, and any commentary would be very much appreciated from current or future owners!!
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    beach15,

I bought mine in the N CA area a few weeks ago. It was $200 over invoice before the 2k rebate. Didn't do any bargain. Just gave my over over the net (via the official gm site). Almost all the dealers were selling at or just above invoice. N CA tends to be more expensive than S CA and other regions. I imagine you can get as good, if not a better deal elsewhere. There are plenty of supply. You may go the the 'gm buypower' site to check the inventories of the dealers. Pick the one you want and email the dealer your offer. No one laughed at my offers. They usually just counter offer you a price if yours is too low for them.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Northeast? Ever heard of Mass/NH/Maine? You be south of the Mason-Dixon line, dude!
    -- Don
    Oh, whatever, same basic vicinity of the country, just a simple mistake!

So, do you have an Avalanche?
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    the same. Been there, done both & Delaware is light years away from "nor'east,"
    -- Don
    Selection of Avs in southern NJ is similar to Delaware - not too much. I wanted a 2WD with bench seat in victory red with tan interior. I couldn't find anything within 100 miles that met my requirements. Apparently Chevy doesn't make a red Av with a tan bench seat! I got tired of waiting so I ended up getting a black 4WD model with the bench seat.

The cabin is very quite, but I'd go with the Z66 2WD package if you don't want to feel bumps. The Z71, while smooth for a pickup, is still subject to feeling pavement joints and jolts. I think the Z66 is smoother, but I'm not sure how much.

BTW - I used the GM Supplier discount, which worked out to about invoice price. So it probably didn't save me much money, but I didn't have to haggle either.
    Yes, I know about the supply of Z66's with certain options here in Delaware. I searched all around within 200 miles last night and actually found one that fit the bill. Several either had Z66's with buckets or the few that did have a Z66 with a bench, was in a color we don't like. The one I found is about 2 hours north of where we live, and it's a Z66 in Onyx Black with Graphite cloth and the bench seat, plus the Convenciance Package and White Letter tires. It stickers for a little more than $32,700. I still haven't found a Z66 with the bench AND a sunroof though. That would be ideal. Actually, very few I found at all had a sunroof.
  • ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    Go to a dealer and order what you want. It makes more sense. I doubt you will ever find a bench seat with the sunroof.

Good Luck.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I have to agree with ygmm BUT it's not impossible to find a bench/sunroof combination. I've been searching inventories here in Ohio and have located a couple of such trucks, albeit Z71 models.

I would like to specifically ask midlifecrisis:
    how does the vehicle compare with your expectations thus far?
  • uhlmeuhlme Member Posts: 4
    Midlifecrisis, Idocpilk, Timfarn, and Fastz28: Thanks for your answers to my "Questions about Av" post. I am trying to decide to purchase now or wait on the 2003's. I would like to have an airbag cutoff switch, keyless tailgate release, steering wheel controls for radio and cruise and possibly painted cladding (which are all rumored to be options for 2003.) I just can't decide if it's worth waiting for rumored options and not getting the $2000 rebate now. At least I have a couple of weeks to decide...
    Actually, ordering exactly what we want would be nice. It was something we wanted to do when we got our 300M back in October of 2000. But, as is the case now, there were a few rebates and good deals out there at that time for cars that were already on the lot, especially the "leftovers" from the current model year. My point, the deal was good and we came close to the perfect match, and we took the deal. Also, ordering can sometimes take quite a while if you want to get in a new car ASAP.

Kind of like now. Our 300M is really not gaining any value by the passing days and the $2002 rebate ends April 1 (or whenever they decide to extend it to again). There's also the fact that we want to get out of our current car as soon as we can while still being able to afford it. So, if the deal is good enough, we can live without a sunroof. We use our 300M's a lot now, but it's not really a necessity.
    What kind of mileage does a 2wd Z66 with the 3.73 actually get? We normally only get anywhere from 17-20mpg (low for a car) in our 300M, so I'm hoping that an Avalanche isn't much worse.

Also, how's the handling? I've heard it's fairly good for such a big and high vehicle, but any other comments? And as far as supensions, do most prefer the Z66 and Z71 over the base setup? I like the Z66 more because of the rear leveling and bigger wheels that fill up the wheel wells more and look nicer.

And, last but not least, pricing. I'm looking at an Avalanche Z66 with a sticker of $32,798 and an invoice of $29,245. I know there's the $2002 rebate but would an additional $5k discount be too much to ask for? I'm looking for about $7,000 off total, bringing it to slightly under $26k. Is such a deal too much to ask or is it quite possible to get with a bit of haggling? The dealer I found the black Z66 at advertises a little more than $5,000 off in the paper and on their site.
  • imaniguanaimaniguana Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone checked with NuCar in New Castle for Z66s? He had a mix a while ago. Also, James Chevy in West Chester, PA had about 14 Avs a few weeks ago.

One thing to remember is that GMBuyPower DOES NOT have all inventory listed. Only the dealer system DOES! GMBuyPower lags in timeliness to the dealer system AND is not accurate. After not finding the Trans Am my wife wanted on GMBuyPower, we went into a dealer and had him check HIS system. Sure enough, we tracked down the exact car she wanted, at another dealer. The car we found for her NEVER appeared on GMBuyPower inventory and the dealer had it for about 2 months!
    CCompson: The Av has lived up to my expectations and more. And I haven't even had it two weeks yet to tap all of its potential. In April we will be going camping and I will be towing our 2500 lb popup camper. One of the reasons for buying the Av is the versatility it provides. I just didn't have the confidence in our minivan as a towing vehicle, especially when we loaded it up with people, equipment and heavy things like firewood. With the large deep bed on the Av, I can load so much more without having to spend hours packing in a precise fashion.

I have not used the midgate yet except to test it out and demonstrate it. I'll probably need it soon as we will be buying an oven range.

The Av handles and drives very well, especially for a 5700 lb vehicle with an off-road suspension. It isn't like driving a Buick LeSabre, but what do you expect?

The toughest part to adjust to is the size of the truck. Backing and parking took some getting used to. But if my wife can do it, anybody can! Ironically, once inside the cab, everybody tells me that it doesn't seem to drive or feel like a huge vehicle.

I'm not going to be real happy with gas mileage, but that's not why you buy this vehicle. Our first tank yielded 13.2 mpg around town for the 4WD Z-71. It will probably increase to 14-15 mpg when broken in. On trips I hope to get around 17 mpg. With my Windstar minivan, I was only getting 15-16 mpg around town anyway.
    Through GMBuypower, last night I emailed the dealer that had the Avalanche closest to what we want. As I've said before, it's a Z66 in Onyx Black with Graphite cloth and the bench seat. It also has in addition to the Z66, the Conveniance Package and White-Letter Tires. The sticker is $32,798. Here's the email from the dealer:

"Thank you for using GM BuyPower. I am GM BuyPower/Internet Manager here at Diver Chevrolet. Our selling price to you would be at our dealer invoice price minus all incentives. This is $29,245.23 - $2002 or $27,243.23 plus tax and title fees. I realize that this only represents a $5,554.77 discount off of the "sticker" price. I put the term sticker in quotation marks because there are many ways that dealers can inflate the sticker price and show a greater discount. Although this may seem a bit unscrupulus, it is a fairly common practice because ot the many shoppers that base their buying decisions on the discount amount. The most common way that this is done is for the dealer to add(or install) products to the vehicle that might cost just $100 to $200, but add the inflated retail price of say $1000 to $1200 to the "sticker" price. Now they can show you an additional discount of $700 to $1000(ie making their discount seem greater that the competition's). This is why I offer to fax you the actual Invoice to the vehicle you are interested in. This will help you to make the most informed(I hope) decision. I look forward to hearing from you so that I can get you the copy of the Invoice and answer any further questions that you may have."

To me at least, the guy seems really nice and straightforward, along with offering a good price from the start. Invoice minus the $2002, nothing else. So, do you guys think this is a good deal? If we can get the right amount for our 300M, it could possibly be a done deal soon.

So another question, when buying an Avalanche, what are the main things to look for on the vehicle? Are there any common little things to look for like loose pieces or odd noises? Is it necessary to do a water check with the Midgate?

This dealer is 2 hours away, so we'd probably only want to go once to look at and pick up the vehicle, so I just want to have all the ends covered before hand.

Another thing I'm looking into is financing. Through who did any of you recent Avalanche buyers get? Peoplefirst seems good to work with and we want the best rate possible for 60 months.
  • luvsuvluvsuv Member Posts: 31
    Grab it! You won't regret.
  • idocpilkidocpilk Member Posts: 18
    I think invoice is pretty standard right now on the AVs...just ask to look at the actual invoice and make sure the VIN numbers and all the options match. It should be very close to what Edmunds shows for the invoice...possibly a little adv. fee. I don't think there is any dealer incentive. I got invoice from my brother in law on 32390msrp to inv. of 28558-2002=26556-1000 gmcard=25556 + ttl. Looks like your deal is legit...just don't let them inflate their profit with a bunch of junk...just say no. They are trained to take your money and make you feel like they are doing you a favor. If they talk extended warranty...just say no...you can wait and buy one later (before your MFG Warranty is off) for the same or better price. Check the build date...look for something after Sept 01...the earlier ones had a few problems that seem to be getting taken care of now. Drive the thing for awhile...be sure to hit the hiway and check the tracking and take it up to 75 or so. Listen for noises you don't like. Open the doors...peel back the weather strip and check for rust...that is common with roof racks. Usually is can be cleaned off by the dealer. Can't think of anything else but go to 'problems/solution' thread and that may give you an idea of what to be thinking about. Good luck.
    They seem to be very easy to deal with. I got 5.4% for 60 mos. Look carefully...I got 2 different rates depending on which website I went through...one was .5% lower than the other. Should still be able to get 5.4 or maybe a little better...if you can't find the lower rate and you've already applied call them and they will take care of you. I think they deal with good credit people mostly.
  • northfacenorthface Member Posts: 14
    Alert! Parked my Avalanche in Metro Parking Lot in surburban DC at about 7:30 am returned 6 hours later to find my Av gone - stolen. Police in area indicate that the C1500 Chevy trucks are beginning to be prime targets for theft. That plus the "luxury" aspects of the Av appears to put it near the top of some thieves list. So watch out guys!

And BTW the On-Star system has been of no use whatsoever; took over 30 minutes to get them to take any action at all; they required that I have a case number from the police before they would do anything; luckily the local police reacted quickly and produced one for me and communicated it directly to On-Star. Now over eight hours later - not a word from On-Star.

Police indicated the Av was probably headed to a chop shop and located in a metal building making the On-Star of no use.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    have the coded keys? I was just wandering or maybe someother theft deterrant?
  • venadolocovenadoloco Member Posts: 10
    My Av is a Z71 with a 3.73. The first 526 miles produced 15.33 mpg with what I'd guess was 85% interstate at 72 avg mph.

So far I like it a lot, made the trip with 4 adults and they were bragging about how comfortable the rear seat was. Handeling was fine on rough ranch roads but fortunately did not require 4WD. The interior that I chose was the charcoal leather cloth combo. Looks good but I use this truck in dirty dusty terrain and on would chose the light colored interior if I had to do it over.
    The back seat is definitely roomy and comfy. Venadoloco - what color is the exterior of your Av given the dusty conditions? Mine is black and it gets pretty dirty. And in NJ we're in a drought so I can't even wash it!

I'm kind of disappointed that you only got 15.3 mpg with 85% highway driving. I was hoping to get around 17 mpg for long trips. My first tank with mostly around town driving was 13.2 mpg. I also have the Z-71 with a 3.73.
    Well, the deal still stands on the black Z66 with bench seat I found. But, we're not too thrilled in the fact that it's 2 hours away from here. This only further complicates things because we usually go look at and drive a car the one day, and they usually have to prep it and have it ready the next day. In addition, we still have to get rid of our 300M, and if they can't give enough on trade-in if we do trade it, it's just a wasted trip. So, we now have to try and sell the car for the right price as soon as possible and hope that it's still available by then.

I still have yet to find another 2wd in stock anywhere with the bench seat in either pewter or black within 150 miles. I know GMBuypower isn't always up to date correctly so I have a dealer not far from here doing a search for me. He said they'll search the same places I've tried and see what he can come up with. We'll see what he comes up with.

Too bad we don't want the buckets, because I could get a good deal and find one easily.
    Any idea about if we ordered an Av now, how long it would take to get it and if we could lock in the price with the $2002 rebate?

Just ran into another issue. Here in Delaware when you buy a new car, you get temp. tags for a certain period and then you get new state tags. We have a special vanity plate and paid extra to have it transferred to the 300M from our old car when we bought it. But, if we sold the 300M, I'm thinking that'd we'd most likely lose the tag as they'd probably not let us keep it, even if we are buying a new car immediately after. Maybe there's some way? We'll have to call the DMV and check.
    midlifecrisis, that trip required an intermediate fillup. The first part was 100% freeway and the mileage was 16.6 mpg, so I would think that 17 is a reasonable expectation for pure freeway driving at 72-73 indicated once it has a few miles on it.
    midlifecrisis, I forgot to tell you the color. It is light pewter metallic and it is about the best possible color for the conditions that I drive in. Wish I had used the same judgement on the interior...!
    I just finished a roundtrip 800 mile trip of mainly 4 lane with intermittent towns slowing us down. With a little tail wind I got 20mpg at 75. The truck was poorly aligned and only had 700 miles when I started. I got about 18 on the way back with very little wind and more stop and go. I expect when it get broken in I should be able to squeeze 20 hiway...15 or so in town. Not bad for this much truck with this much power. My last rig had 4.3 and I got 22 and 18....
    Beach15 - When we bought our Av, they would not let us keep the plates due to a change from a minivan to a truck. So we needed a new set of plates in NJ. I don't know how Delaware does it. Z-66 bench seat models are near impossible to find. We needed the bench seat and wanted 2WD, but ended up spending extra to get the Z-71 4WD. We hope to recoup the extra cost in resale value. Bench seats are hard to find period. I bet less than 10% of Avs have bench seats. But I'll tell you, the ability to seat 6 people is a huge bonus for us and we've used it several times in the first two weeks alone.

Venadoloco - glad to here of the 16+ mpg, maybe there's hope yet to getting 17 +/- mpg. My wife wanted the pewter Av, but we couldn't find one with the options we wanted. We ended up with black, which obviously is the worst color to keep clean!
    Yeah, I know about the shortage, the black Z66 with the bench we found is at a dealer 2 hours away. In a week, it's the only one I've found. The dealer has been extremely nice, and the internet guy emails me very quick, answers any and all questions, and last night even gave me his home phone number in case we needed to get in contact with him quickly if he's not in. I just wish we could get the situation with our current car fixed--getting it sold as quickly as we can. That's what's holding us up.

As for the seats, it's my mother who's the one wanting to buy an Avalanche and get rid of her 2000 Chrysler 300M. When it comes to cars, she is not particular at all, other than color. And, it must not have any rattles, be quiet, and ride well. So, when it came to finding an Avalanche, she really didn't care what was on it, and just wanted the least amount of "junk" and the bench seat. In our house, there's 2 teenagers, 2 adults, and a poodle. She wants to have a lot of room and be able to carry 6 people. We also had a 2002 Buick LeSabre rental for a month, and she came to love having a front bench seat. So, I was very lucky to find a Z66 with it, and in a color she'd take, black.

There's a dealer that's closer to us who has 4 Z66's on the lot, 2 black, 1 blue, and 1 green. They all have the bucket seats, and both of the black ones have the neutral interior. He'll give me a better price than the one I found with the bench, the dealer is a lot closer to us, and I'm starting to think that the Neutral interior would be easier to keep clean and maybe a little cooler, though with black paint, it'll always be cookin' inside! But, like I said, they both have the buckets. We hope to go look at and test drive an Av. sometime tomorrow or whenever and see about what seats we like better.

I have a question though. With the bench, it seems as though you lose quite a bit of storage space without the console. I can't tell from pictures, but with the bench, does the center armrest open up with a storage compartment?

And as far as transferring the tags if we sell the car, I still think it could be done. Here, cars and trucks do have different plates if you have the standard state tags. With vanitys, I know it's different somehow but not exactly sure. There must be some way, or at least we hope! We should call the DMV sometime. She'd hate to have to lose her special lighthouse "JOURNEY" tag, named for the 80's band.

Times ticking, and March is already half over! We have to figure out a way to get the 300M sold for enough and buy a new Avalanche before the rebate ends. Also, because we have a 7-hour trip planned on April 5th to visit family back in Pennsylvania, and it sure would be nice to have a vehicle that we can fit all our stuff in and still have room, and a vehicle that doesn't deafen us on the highway with tremendous road noise! I better hurry up!
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    I know you will take a hit... But what about just trading it in???? I did the same thing last year when I got my Silverado. At least you will have the truck that you want.. or if you could wait, why not just order yourself an Av?

Just my .02 cents...
    Yeah, that's actually what we're going to do. We don't have the time or patience to worry about selling the car, so now we just have to get enough on trade for it. And, of course, find the right Avalanche. Still thinking about the bench, but my mother does not want to drive 2 hours just to get them and I can get a better deal on one with buckets, not to mention find one closer to us. We plan on going some night this week to look at and drive one of the Black Z66's with Neutral cloth and buckets. Or, we may try to have the dealer do a swap for a pewter one. We'll just have to see what happens!
    the Dealer to swap the seats out. 'course you'd probably have to wait for them to get a bench seat. There are aftermarket custom seats that instead of a console have a fold down center section to make a bench seat. I have also seen a narrow seat that fills the space between the buckets after the removal of the console.
    The fold down armrest in the bench seat model has a substantial amount of storage space. It opens up on a hinge for access. There's also quite a bit of area on the floor in the center to lay stuff there if needed.
  • belljobelljo Member Posts: 15
    your thoughts please. Situation, take my Av in to have the door repaired. Door is removed, battery drains, door replaced good as new....? No, now the radio is locked out (LOC) and air bag sensor is constantly on indicating a problem. Dealer want a $100.00 to hook up to the diagnostic equip, repair shop say's not my problem as they charged the battery back to full capacity.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    if those conditions existed when you brought the truck in. They will usually note if anything is wrong when they check the truck in so as to not be liable for damages. Since those problems did not exist when you brought the truck in, it is assumed that the dealer caused the problem. One has to wonder though why all those problems just because the battery drained. That doesn't make sense either.

Since your truck is still covered under the 3/36 warranty, these problems should be covered under it regardless of who caused it. The dealer seems more interested in making the $100 than keeping a good relationship with the customer. I'd keep an eye out on these guys.
    Tell them you'll take your business elsewhere unless they fix the problems under warranty at no cost to you.
    work they'd be more than happy to have you take it elsewhere. more than once i've had a dealer request that i take my business elsewhere! they didn't like being cussed at.
  • dogsportdogsport Member Posts: 4
    Have a question for anyone out there about towing a camper. We are looking at purchasing a 30' travel trailer weighing approximately 5800 lbs. without anything put inside. We are looking at purchasing the 1500 4x4 with the 3.73 gear ratio. Will that be OK or do we have to go to the 4.10 gear ratio? Thanks in advance.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    the 4.10 rear end would probably be better
    magazine. (Chevy Traiblazer on cover) It has a few customized Av's (with painted cladding).
    dogsport: With a 30' trailer weighing 5800 pounds, you could be pushing either the 3.73 or 4.10 1500 Av to its limits. Consider that the 7200 lb trailer capacity of the Av does not include anything but the weight of the Av, trailer, and the driver. Add up passengers and cargo and you may end up close to the trailer capacity. I don't know how many people you would be hauling or how much luggage, etc, so you'd have to do the math for your particular circumstances. If you're anywhere near the 7200 lbs, I would consider the 2500 Av model.

But if you go with the 1500, definitely go with the 4.10 as a minimum.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Does he still post here, I read a little over a week ago that his Av was stolen and I was just wondering if it was recovered or what happened?

-Mark
  • cmeskiicmeskii Member Posts: 3
    Got a question about installing a power amp to a radio in an Av..Circuit City says they cannot install an amp because there is already an amp attached to the On Star system and they don't know how to install it without cutting out the On Satar..Any help here?
  • jmstacksjmstacks Member Posts: 1
    Avalanche to Drop Plastic Skirt in 2003

GM is making the cladding optional because it costs $750 per vehicle and it doesn't do much to attract buyers. The plastic will remain available as an option.

-John

This discussion has been closed.