Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Two Avs were present, Sunset Orange Z66 on the floor and a Forest Green Z71 at the Chevy Truck Special Event. The floor model was on a turntable and could be seen up close, but not hands on. There was a display of the midgate nearby, yet only the seats folding forward were demonstrated. The demonstrator looked like a bouncer from Rush Street and was less than humorless. He wouldn't explain not being able to demonstrate the window - "it was not a working display" - read broken.

At the Special Event - hands on with the Av. This Z71 had an engine exemption tag from 2/29/00 - it is almost a year old. There was a sign on the back glass that it could not be demonstrated, as it had been dropped a couple of times on Sunday. I did cajole the hostess into demonstrating when a supervisor left and no one else was around. It worked nicely and fit tightly into the seals. The lower portion midgate may not have latched as tightly as I would have expected, but the cargo panels were not removed to where I could get behind to check it out.

I counted at least 17 drains - three in each top box, five in the bed, one on the inboard side of each sail panel, two beneath the rear seat (channeled via plastic trim), and two where the window seats. It is set up so the bed can be flushed out and the water will drain from under the cargo mat. A removable plastic grate will catch debris at the base of the midgate.

The cargo panels are to now come with bags they can slip into for storage - originally bungee cords were to hold them in place with no protection.

Production info: The Av will be manufactured in Mexico. Production is not expected to commence before March with vehicles hitting TX, FL, and CA in May. It will be late summer before volumes pick up. One large Chicagoland dealer told the girl working the floor he had two allocations for June. Another guy told the girl at the special event he had one on order and walked away when she laughed.
    Escalade EXT - The body lines look cleaner than the Av until you get to the front end - yuck! The black paint had so many swirls that it would swear you off black forever.

Dodge Ram 1500 four door - did they borrow those short rear doors from the Tundra?

Sport Trac - construction seemed "light", rear seats were not comfortable for my wife.

Buick LaCrosse - if you get tired of talking to yourself, you can always talk to your car. Voice commands for everything. Heads-up Display with an empty dashboard.

Aztek - if you can buy the tent for only $195, maybe you can live with the looks.
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Message #152 posted by timfam on 2/13/01 contained the following statement:

"Production info: The Av will be manufactured in Mexico. Production is not
    expected to commence before March with vehicles hitting TX, FL, and CA in
    May. It will be late summer before volumes pick up. One large Chicagoland
    dealer told the girl working the floor he had two allocations for June. Another guy
    told the girl at the special event he had one on order and walked away when she
    laughed."

Is this true? Can anyone verify or confirm this? I was really counting on the Av being available this spring - like around April. It appears that this is just a pipedream now! I really was looking to buy a 4-door truck but I don't want to wait forever for the Av. Perhaps I will have to re-evaluate the purchase of the Supercrew? What is the problem? Is Chevy re-thinking some of the finishing details - like cost - and getting rid of that ugly Aztec-like body cladding? Looking for some answers and some more info. Thanks!
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    GM has never been on schedule with new vehicles at least since I've been buying them.

They were late with the new 99 Silverados, they were late with the new 00 Tahoe/Subs, they were late with the new 01 Denalis.

Now this Ave will be even worse, since they have a complete new vehicle structure to work with, and compounded with the fact that this midgate thing will be an absolute [non-permissible content removed] to get sealed properly for years to come, never mind just the first pass. If we see them even by summer, I'd be surprised.
  • guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    I don't know yet if I can afford an Av, but that may be beside the point. I *NEED* a new vehicle in June when my lease ends. I figured that GM would miss the original launch date, but I thought for sure I could get one by late spring/early summer.

Every day that goes by GM is losing market share to Ford in this category. With SportTrac and Supercrew already ringing up sales, who wants to wait for something that is continually delayed? There has to be some legitimate reason for these delays.

The only thing I can hope for is that the general is holding up the show to make sure they get things right the first time. Well, maybe when I need my next new vehicle (8-10 years from now) I can get an Av.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Bill Gates. They simply don't care and put out crap with a lot of bugs in them. The Ave won't be an exception to the rule.
    Personnel working the show reitierated the focus on FL, TX, CA and limited availability before summer. I, too, need to replace my vehicle for summer towing and may buy an interim substitute - Sierra excab or the like. The Chevy media launch is scheduled for the end of March in Palm Springs. They should have production going or would delay the event.

Joelis/Obyone: The midgate seemed well-thought and engineered - even on a one year old model. One piece looked like a retrofit in order to keep the glass in place as it is being unlatched. Oh, but for a test drive to evaluate squeaks, rattles, leaks.

My wife did like the Av and has asked me every day if I've called the dealer. I did, and they aren't taking cash yet. They did attend a training session in Chicago last week with a number of Avs, new Trailblazers, and competing models on hand for comparison.
    Still having problems with your GM products? LOL!

As for my Silverado, its funny how easy some of the problems are to ignore when you only have 6 months left on its lease. (Now, just have to make sure it gets past that post-lease inspection...)
    One way to insure that you pass the inspection is to either buy or lease another vehicle from them. You will definitely pass with flying colors as long as the truck is on their lot and in one piece... ;-)
    Something new - a soft tonneau cover for the Av with two hoops for support. Installs into the channels the hard covers lock into. I can't think of a reason to have both covers. The panels will come with bags for transport/storage when not installed.
    Having decided that this truck best meets my needs, I'm seriously considering picking up a distress sale Silverado Excab or SCrew for about a year. I want to divest of my Jimmy before putting it through a summer of pulling a 3500# + boat.

The Avs are supposed to start production 3/26/01 and GM and most dealers are expecting a huge demand. I would argue that point based on the traffic in this forum. Look at the number of posts here compared to the Silverado and Tahoe/Yukon topics in the early stages. GM's annual sales are projected as 35,000 2WD and 65,000 4WD. "Not gonna do it." (I hope production is at that level - invoice deals within 9 months.)

Why wait? 1) I want to get what I want - not what is deemed "most popular and what everyone wants" by the General. 2) Pricing - until extras are on the lot - MSRP will prevail. 3) Delivery - will northern states see any Avs by June? 4) First yeaar bugs - Let others take the shakedown cruise?
    If you're interested, I've got a 99 silverado LT with 30K on it and 8 months left on lease. Its pretty Distressed. LOL.

Actually, I'm hoping the dealership will help me out of it a little early when my Vette comes thru this spring.

I'll worry about the next winter vehicle then next fall.
    I want to buy from the distressed owner, not a distressed vehicle. I know you are the Stressed owner. Regarding stress, vehicles are not moving off the dealer lots in my area. And, speaking of 'vettes - my dealer has a few collecting dust, snow and ice. Can't sell a 'vette in the winter - what gives? LOL

I checked out the '02 Olds Brav topic - they have a brand manager answering questions. Av managers need to take note and do the same. Maybe once they get it on the road.
  • warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    www.gm.com news then press releases. Stating that the new avalanche 2wd-30965.00 fully loaded 35409.00 4wd- 33965.00 fully loaded 38409.00 they also list the standard equipment. The press release stated sometime in May. First states will be CA. FL.
  • wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    Half years ago, I was eagerly waiting for two new trucks: Toyota Seq. and Chewy Av. It turns out both of them are big disappointment. First is Toyota Seq. It only can tow 6200 lb. Now, it's Av. 38K is too much for a semi-SUV.

I don't know what Chevy is doing. Why they can't build a truck to compete directly with Ford SCrew?
    Wes - Have you priced (MSRP) the SCrew Lariat with the 5.4l? Fully loaded, I come up with over $36,000. (Not including the rear video player). Granted, we don't know yet what options the Av will include, but the pricing is close. The SCrew has less functionality, less horsepower, less towing capacity, and features like DRLs and SCV on the sound system are missing. It does have the adjustable pedals, which are nice - but these are countered by the memory seats on the Av.

An Av below MSRP will be hard to find, I may yet get a SCrew for the interim, but the Av still looks like the fit for me.
    Thanks Tim. Like you, I won't go for the first year Av. If I have enough patient, I will wait Chevy to sort of all first-year bugs. Otherwise, Ford SCrew will do for me. I probably also wait for new Dodge Ram for a while.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    Well I was really exicted about the avalanche and was thinking of buying one when I get out of college, but I found out it is going to be built in the Mexico factory so no avalanche for me too bad. Of course I think I would be happier with a 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 or Suburban anyway (US Made Version).
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Has anyone seen the Cadilac version (EXT)? Supposed to be out in '02
    http://www.wieckphoto.com/public/*2PV_021635

By the time it arrived at the Chicago Auto Show, it was the most convincing argument for not buying a black vehicle (badly swirled).
    Enough Said. LOL!
    So, you like the moniker for the four door Ford offering? It is a decent truck except for the short bed. They have sold a lot units while GM is on the sidelines.
    I just don't think a 5 foot bed is good for much. Might as well just get a full size sedan and use the trunk, which even has a built in cover. LOL

At least the Ave is adaptable to a full size bed when necessary.
  • z71josez71jose Member Posts: 22
    Wesyang...Chevy ALREADY has a truck to directly compete
    with the S-Crew. It's the 1500HD crew cab with a 6.5ft bed!!!
    Unlike the Avalanche...they are out now!!!! Saw 2 at
    my local Chevy dealer!!!!
    Thanks z71jose, but I don't think 1500HD is the answer for F150 Screw. First, it's too big to fit in most garages. Second, 6.0 engine and the heavy body drinks too much gas. Third, HD suspension is not comforable for street driving.
    What I really want is a 1/2 ton Crew. Unless I have to tow more than 8000lb, 1500HD is too much for me.
  • broncoboy2broncoboy2 Member Posts: 1
    just thought I would write and put in my 2 cents worth. First off, I really wanted to buy an AV when I graduated from college, but as each day goes on it looks like I would be a moron to get one! Chevy really screwed up this time now if I want an American car I need to buy a Toyota. I deffinently dont want a truck thats built half [non-permissible content removed] in Mexico. It appears that others feel the same because there hasn't even been a post for 1 week. So when any of you decide to purchase an AV I'll happily wave at you when you are sitting in the shop gettin those bad midgate seals fixed! And i'll be content with my American made toyota or heck, even a Ford!!
  • z71josez71jose Member Posts: 22
    broncoboy2,
    There is no such thing as an American car/truck anymore...heck there is no such thing as Japanese or
    European automobile anymore. We have Chevy's and Fords
    built in Mexico/Canada, Honda's and Mercedes in the U.S.
    all built with components made in some other country.
    As for built half-[non-permissible content removed], ironically, there was a thread here
    about a year ago that addressed quality. About 90% of the
    people on the thread said GM trucks built in Mexico/Canada
    and Dodge Rams built in Mexico had much better built quality
    than their U.S. counterparts.
    Amen to that. Next time I'm in the market for any vehicle, I'll be sure to check the door to find out where the damn thing was made.

I remember when American Honda first opened on US soil. Everyone was skeptical on buying one. Eventually, they were convinced that even though it was built in the USA, was still better than the quality of General Motors and Ford.
  • smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    has anyone else heard they ain't gonna release it until August or September??? it was supposed to be in the Spring of 01, typical GM. Ain't no gooowoood deeeeeeeaaal!
  • notdosnotdos Member Posts: 5
    I really like the Av, but I'm terrified of the "American made" issue. I've owned two new American made cars in my life(Chevy,Ford)and both were junk. I've owned four foreign cars(Nissan,Toyota,Volvo)and they've been wonderful. Heck, I'm driving a 95 model Toyota 4x4 with 200k miles on it now and I've literally never done anything but routine maint. So what's the reason for this quality difference? Where is the value in buying an Av for 30k+ when, based on past performance of many of Chevrolets products, other seemingly more reliable vehicles are available?
    from the executive level down. Bottom line....cut costs to increase profits...it's the American way isn't it?
    GM hasn't given any official update since the 2/22/01 pricing announcement. Regional release is said to be May for units beginning production in late March and national availability in July. We'll see if they hit the date for the national media preview scheduled for April 1-7. It begins on April Fool's Day? LOL
  • balserbalser Member Posts: 90
    We've had a Y2k 'burb for over a year - put on 15k without a hitch. One recall for front brake line placement and when the steering stops dry out, they make a horrible grinding noise, which drives us crazy. Both of these are design issues - not build quality issues. Ours was asembled in Mexico and the fit, finish, and overall build quality are excellent. Check out the 'burb boards - I haven't heard too many complaints (none maybe) regarding the build quality. I'd be more concerned with GM engineers screwing up the design of the mid gate (leaks, rattles, and such) than I would be regarding how it's screwed together. JMHO.
  • wxfcstrwxfcstr Member Posts: 18
    The 3/9/01 Ft Worth news paper had an ad in from a Chevy dealer who was advertising 52 Avs and Trailblazers on the lot, they apparently had 75 a one point in time. Don't know the number of each but a picture of Av was in the ad. Like most on this board, I too am disappointed in the Av price. $31K for a base model, I don't think so!! I would love to have a crew 1500 but without the shortened box, there's no way it's going in my garage. It's too big of risk to have a nice truck like the 1500 crew sitting outside in the south where all too often thunderstorms produce goofball size hail or larger or you leave it to the mercy of the sun and 105 plus degree temps. Come GM, wake up and smell the coffee. Offer the crew 1500 with a shortened (5.5 ft) composite box, and I will remain the loyal GM owner I have been for 25 years. Otherwise, it's time to consider a Ford Screw for my growing kids.
    Bob, if you can get a picture of an Av on the lot, you may have the scoop of the year! The Trailblazers may be there - but the Av? Post a pic or the ad itself.
  • wxfcstrwxfcstr Member Posts: 18
    Tim:

The ad was run again today in the 3/10/01 FTW Star-Telegram (Section F, pg 9) and the Av is pictured in the ad. The Chevy Dealer is Moritz Chevrolet, which used to be the Troy Aikman Automall. This has been the only Chevy dealer I've seen advertising as having the Av on lot in the newspaper. Their phone # is 888.590.7687. Their web address is www.moritzdirect.com. I checked there inventory online but neither the Av or Trailblazer was listed on the site. This same dealership has been running 2001 Silverado Ext Cabs for less than $17k ( I suspect no V8, but they do adv. auto/ac/cruise). Part of their adv. this price on these Silverado's is using the Olds loyalty rebate ($1K). They list the dealer discount as $5,708, GM Rebate $500, Olds rebate $1000 on the Silverado listed in the ad.
  • aesiosaesios Member Posts: 4
    Look at this picture:

http://www.tampachevy.com/vehicles/avalanche2.jpg

It shows the bottom of an ava in white cladding. When I first saw it, i wondered what it was showing, and then i saw the door handles and i assume i have found a new feature that most peopole here do not know anout. What do you all think?

Another DFW dealer shows pricing for two Avs - but there are none in stock. We are probably witnessing dealers trying to create interest.

Here's an e-mail I received Sat. from Chevrolet- note the pricing shows cloth 40/20/40 seats only.

Subject: Order your Chevy Avalanche
    Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 01:50:31 -0800 (PST)

You waited patiently and now it's time. The all-new 2002 Chevy Avalanche, the only vehicle that can change from an SUV to a pickup can now be ordered from your local Chevy dealer.(1) Please see your local Chevy dealer for order specifics, product availability and timing.

The chart below details pricing and the features included in each package.

2WD Avalanche

Standard
    (High Content)
    $30,965(1) Vortec 5300 engine, four-speed automatic transmission, Custom Cloth 40/20/40 split-bench seat, 16-inch aluminum wheels, P265/70R-16 tires, air conditioning, power windows/locks and carpeted floor mats.

Convenience Package $31,618(1) Self-dimming driver's OSRV mirror, OnStar,(2) electronic climate control and HomeLink®.

Premium On-Road Package (Z66)
    $31,800(1) Traction Assist, 17-inch aluminum wheels, P265/70R-17 all-season tires, specially tuned springs and load leveling rear shocks, locking differential, aggressive rubber mats and Z66 decals.

Both Packages $32,453(1)

4x4 Avalanche

Standard
    (High Content)
    $33,965(1) Vortec 5300 engine, four-speed automatic transmission, Custom Cloth 40/20/40 split-bench seat, 16-inch aluminum wheels, P265/70R-16 tires, air conditioning, power windows/locks and carpeted floor mats.

Convenience Package $34,618(1) Self-dimming driver's OSRV mirror, OnStar,(2) electronic climate control and HomeLink.

Off-Road Package (Z71)
    $34,800(1) -17-inch aluminum wheels, P265/70R-17, blackwall on-/off-road tires, skid shields, specially tuned springs and shock absorbers, locking differential, high capacity air cleaner, aggressive rubber mats, Z71 decals

Both Packages $35,453(1)

Want to dress up your computer? Do it with an Avalanche screen saver. Simply click here, follow the directions and you'll have a computer screen as great- looking as Avalanche.

Avalanche available 2001.

Since you're receiving this Avalanche Email Exclusive, you'll be among the first to receive upcoming Avalanche news as soon as it's available. Stay tuned.
    Is it white or the standard gray looking white due to the strange angle of the shot?
    I dunno, it looks pretty damn white, but I see what you are saying it has a dark tent. This is weird.
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Watched the Chicano Auto Show on Speed vision tonight. Great piece on 4-door trucks, but..... no news or coverage on the Avalanche?!!! Showed the Cadillac Escapade and the Lincoln Black wood but best of all showed the new 2002 Dodge Ram with 4 doors and shortened bed option. Very impressive looking truck!! Since Chevy is slow getting out the Avalanche and only has so-so looks in the pictures, I just may wait a few months and go for the Dodge. This one really looks like a truck without the ugly side-body cladding, etc.

By the way the show will be on again tonight at 12 midnight Eastern and on Friday, March 16th at Noon.
    Where did the picture come from? Are there more?
    It came from TampaChevy.com, they sent me an email when I told this one car website that I was looking for Avas in my area. They had one more pic, but it was a regular Ava. Has anyone seen the accories on the chevy website for the Ava? They look pretty nice.
    Well it's good to know that the one picture they sent you is taken while the truck rests on the photographer's chest! Why wouldn't they release pictures that really show off the truck and its unique lines? Aesio - you make reference to a "regular" Av - what do you mean?
    The other picture was of a blakc Ava on some rocks i think.. let me get the picture...

Here is the website link:

http://www.tampachevy.com/avalanche.htm

Roll over the pic to see the whiteness.

• pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Took a harder look at that pic....it is not really white...it is just the reflection of the sun at a wierd angle off the gray plastic.
    Got the latest piece of AV promo literature, complete with the color lineup....looks like
    Black, White, Green, Sunset Orange, a Red, not much else.....kind of surprised I didn't see yellow, may have been cool.
    The lower cladding looks excessively chunky on anything other than the black truck....
    and here is another kicker....the fuel tank is 32 gallons! I thought it would least have the "regular" 26 gallon tank of my 1500 Silverado Ext. Cab, which already is in the $35-$40 neighborhood to fillup here in the Northeast. I'm thinking that I should stand pat for awhile and
    seek how the Av shakes out the first year or so, or when the bugs get shook out and the incentives come out. The incentives will come...for those who don't have to have the first one....even on the new Silverado, I was getting financing and rebates at the end of the intro year.
    Fuel capacity is advertised as 31 gallons on the Av. If you only want to fill with 25 or 26 gallons at a time, do so. Or, extend the time between those painful fills and put in the extra $7 of gas. The capability to go 500+ miles on a tank is an advantage.
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Is a real bonus, just ask anyone who tows with the 2500/3500 HD's - 200 miles between fill-ups. Ever try bringing a fifth wheel into a convenient store for gas? Be happy with a larger tank, it is much better than the other extreme!
This discussion has been closed.