Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

1343536373840»

Comments

• ygmnygmn Member Posts: 179
    not much enough difference that if you do not tow will impact you too much in any way....unless you start modifying the engine for more Hp...then you may want to research which to get
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ...the salesperson has never owned a truck.

jdnbl,
    The last thing you want is a V8 screaming at near-redline all the time just for "performance". In a truck, it's about low-end torque, not high-rpm horsepower. You have a lot of weight to get moving and, with the lousy aerodynamics, high speed will put unnecessary strain on the powertrain. Regardless of the redline and power numbers offered by the manufacturer, running higher rpms all the time will just wear out your engine, motor oil, and other components that much faster.

If you have a tachometer in your current vehicle, watch where it is most of the time. Then look to choose an engine that will be most efficient at that rpm range. I went with the diesel in my pickup because it gives me the torque and economy in the rpm range I drive (I never see the dark side of 2500 rpm - on the interstate, 70mph equates to just 2000 rpm). Now, I realize you can't get an Av-1500 with a diesel, but if it's just going to be a family hauler that makes an occasional trip to Home Depot, the 4.10 is likely not necessary.

The only reason to get 4.10 axles in a full-size truck is if you will
    A- tow heavy things often
    B- lift a 4x4 and add larger tires
    If you just want to go faster, you probably should look at a smaller vehicle.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and FWI Message Boards
  • jdnbljdnbl Member Posts: 4
  • got1bgot1b Member Posts: 48
    Avalanche owners, how satisfied are you? I'm thinking of buying a used one, anything I need to be cautious of (01 vs 02). I'm also interested in the upcoming Nissan Titan and my waite a year for that.
  • emptyempty Member Posts: 14
    AFAIK there have been no complaints or TSB's on 2001 models, so that might be you best bet.

On 2002 look for water intrusion around the midgate. Most don't leak, but those that do won't ever stop.
    there were no 2001......

First model year is 2002...and they were sold in 2001...

things to look for.....Tranny, transfer case electrical, Ignition switch, water leaks from midgate and fender seams......

these seem to be the items which give some problems......

HTH
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have the 3.73 in my 99 Silverado Z-71 - I wish I had the 4.1's.

I have the 3.42 in my 01 2WD Tahoe - wish I had the 3.73.

Next truck I buy will have the lower rear end gears.

Do the math - at 75 MPH with 3.73 gears your engine RPM will be about 2,083, with the 4.1's it is only 2,290. Yes that is 10 % faster - but still not - IMO - a high RPM level for these engines.

My advise - drive both - and get the one you like.
  • stakeoutstakeout Member Posts: 173
    I've been looking at the new Avalanche.. butt.. would like to know before I buy if there is a cap available from an aftermarket source for the rear deck.. thought I saw one a while back on I-95 but going in opposite direction.. haven't seen one since.. not even sure if a cap is possible

also we presently have two '01 burbans..both are 4x4..1500 series ... my wife's is an LT with 3.73 gears.. I have a Z71 with 4.10 gears... I get 10% less mileage on mine both in mixed city-road driving as well as over the road on trips... mileage comparison taken while I was driving in both trucks.. I usually drive either truck over the road on a trip.. let her sleep... :)
    SNUGTOP....they make the GM approved top.....and are the only ones too.....

Check CHEVY accessory site for pics
    many thanx... I knew I saw one on the road.. but never saw another one since..

again appreciate the info.. :)

I checked them out on their site.. http://www.snugtop.com/wn_02xuv.htm
    if you didn't see my post on the other board.. looks like more complicated than the average cap install..but do-able
    http://www.campway.com/products/snugtop/xuv/install.pdf
  • brucecr_msbrucecr_ms Member Posts: 47
    From what I've read, people are happy with their AV caps. You can even decorate the plastic widget that goes into the triangular openings.
  • mcrendogmcrendog Member Posts: 1
    You can see pictures of the caps (and a whole lot more for Av owners) at www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Yeh, and you could get hit by lightning, Sadam may excape and kill you too or the tie rods falls off Joe Blows 15.1 year old car crosses the road and hits you while you walk down the street. Come on, get a life.
This discussion has been closed.