Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• Options
    bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    I have everything ready to order my avalanche although I can't decide on color. All my vehicles have been white in the past, I really like the lower wash factor.
    My first thought on the Avalanche in white is the high contrast between the cladding. However, the the tinted windows really look good with the white!
    I like the Storm Gray offered with the Silverados but it's not available.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Brad in HB
  • Options
    robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    Well I have the Forest Green and really like the contrast between that and the cladding. If cleaning is a concern, the dark colors like this should be avoided. I love the color, but it seems to be a dirt magnet. Another thing to think about is that dark colors tend to take longer for the AC to cool down.

Bear
  • Options
    mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    Mark, Bear, and others...

I agree that if you like this truck and everything it has going for it - which is a lot - then the grey cladding should not stand in your way towards a purchase. I've been following the AV from concept to production and have been thoroughly impressed with the number of test drives I've taken as well as the mid-gate operation.

If you look at most of the AV's marketing material - even new comercials - you'll find that GM downplays the cladding/body color clash, using greyish film filters, sunset shots, or tire sprayed sand in the off road pictures, etc. So when I saw my first production AV, the grey cladding did not impress me. I think the fact that body color cladding was unavailable (even as a special order) my decision to get an AV was not reversed, but just delayed. I could not get the pre-production EXT out of my mind - full body color - even the bed assembly. If they put the chevy front end on it -I had my future pickup/SUV materpiece.

So I decided to put off the purchase a few months and to keep checking Edmunds and other sites for the most current and un-biased (owners) overall opinions on the AV. I also decided to ride out the first half of production year #1 and see if any issues arose. (Remember we all worried about the seals)

All I'm saying now is that if the dealers are already painting the cladding (two months into sales), ETX full production with colored (not painted) cladding is just over the horizon, and GM intentionally plays down the grey cladding in marketing - my bet is it's just a matter of time before GM color clads the AV - and waiting for the color option so my new truck looks as well as it performs is the way to go for me. Plus, maybe GM will throw in a swivel rear head rest so the front seats can be all the way back when the midgate is down.

If I'm wrong and I don't see the colored (not painted) cladding within the next few months - I'll still buy an AV - but I bet I'll still wish I could have picked up one with body color cladding from time to time. Best Wishes and congratulations to all the new AV owners.
  • Options
    warrenw48warrenw48 Member Posts: 21
    I noticed the other day how much cladding or lower color is on the Lexus RX300 yet no one says anything about it because the fantastic colors they came up with to blend with it. If GM would just do alittle more color coordination the cladding would not be that big an issue. Dark Bronze metallic like lexus has would look great.
  • Options
    The dealership here in So. Calif. bought a bunch of these (50+/-) and he tells me they are not selling like they had predicted. I also bet there are "changes" on the horizon.

Does anyone think they will ever offer the rear passenger stereo control option like on the Tahoe. I was interested in having this for the kids. This option gives the passengers their own independent stereo control and headphone jacks. (Or does the design of the rear cabin prevent this option?)

Brad
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    today and they have 60 Av's on the lot! "BSHEFMIRE", The White looks pretty darn good despite the cladding.
    "INVESTED", would you expect them to say "really nice, but Dam that cladding's ugly!"?
  • Options
    showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Dennis, I too looked in the accessory guide for the AV online a chevrolet.com, it states the bug deflector will not rattle the mirrors or interrupt the wiper spray pattern. Wipers are still OK but the rattle of the mirrors and hood hinge cover still persist. I am confident I received the correct deflector from parts as no other chevy has the same hood line (it fits perfectly) and there was a part #12497075-02 tag, made 07/12/01, 2001 CHEVY AVALANCHE (without logo) sticker on the deflector itself. You read correctly, 2001 AV?? Part number matches the box except for 02 as I think they are packaged 2 per shipping box. I have no idea if they are making one with a logo on it as "without logo" is on the sticker. I will call my dealer tommorrow and find out if they know and what can be done about my problem.

The defector extends to the very outside corners of the the turn lights and turns up there so as to deflect items. I suspect this creates too much of a vortex and thus my problem. Hope Chevy has a different one as I'd like to protect the front, flat edge of my hood from the many rocks and sand we have here in Kansas City, not to mention the bugs.

I'll keep you all postedon my findings.

Roger

PS. Dennis, you are to blame for my Blue AV. Your photos of your AV look great and I've always been a dark BLUE fan. Gravel road dust is nasty on it though.
  • Options
    midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    You've got a dealer with 50 Avalanches on the lot? Here in NJ the two closest Chevy dealers have one Avalanche each, and the one dealer just sold theirs. In the past month, I've seen two Avs on the road, and that's it. did they introduce this truck to certain parts of the country first?

For the dealers with a lot of Avs, are any of them 2WD? Does anybody know the back-seat dimension differences between the Av and the F-150 Supercrew? I've sat in both and they seem similar.
  • Options
    www.autonation.com/dealers/teamchampionauto/champ-chevy/index.ehtml?count=1&

It's Champion Chevrolet in Austin, TX which is part of the Autonations Group. Yes they have some 2wd's although most appear to be 4wd. I saw a coiuple with Z66 on them. That's A 2WD package isn't it?
    You ought to be able to get the dimensions here on Edmunds
  • Options
    modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    While doing a remote broadcast from the Chev dealer she inadvertanly(sp?) called the Avalanche "the LEGO truck"!!! Next hour she went on and on how great it was and how she was buying one herself!!!As far as I know she still has her job.
  • Options
    darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I wonder if mud flapps installed on the front tires would help keep some of the road spray away from the sides of the AV. I have noticed that the spray pattern is the lower half of the side of the AV when it is raining.

Does anyone have the Vent Visors installed on the AV windows? If so, how are they doing and how do you like them?
  • Options
    slafondslafond Member Posts: 8
    What is the proper way to break in the Engine for the Avalanche? I've been told differnt methods, and I am left quite confused.
  • Options
    I did what the manual recommended. It did state that the engine does not really require a break in, but it will last longer if you do the following. Don't drive over 55 for the first 500 miles and don't tow for the first 1000 or 1500 (not sure, don't have the manual with me). Still thinking of changing the initial oil earlier than suggested. I want to use Mobil 1 and don't want to wait to long to start.

Hope this helps,
    Bear
  • Options
    markiiimarkiii Member Posts: 21
    I love the dark models I've seen so far... Red, Blue and Black. My car is black and I originally wanted a black AV but the first one I could lay my hands on with the correct options for me was the Pewter. I've washed it once (1200mi, 5 weeks) and have been pleased with this color's ability to hide minor road dirt. Sure, I can wipe a finger across it and see a difference, but you have to look hard. Tough choice....Good luck :)
  • Options
    kooikerkooiker Member Posts: 11
    Interested in the Avalanche? Check out this link. Seems that GMC is going to have some sort of version too!!!

http://www.auto.com/industry/wiri6_20010706.htm

• Options
    showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Hey all, talked with parts department today. This is the only bug shield they make per the accessory book. I ran out of time to call GM direct but will try this week. FYI

It appears to me that the mud flaps will help with the spray on the lower 1/2 of the vehicle. Don't think they will help with road dust from dirt or gravel roads though.

Roger
  • Options
    frankfx1frankfx1 Member Posts: 14
  • Options
    The artile say 3516 were sold in June. Chey said they would
    like to do 100K a year and June was limited release in a few
    states only! It looks to me like the Avalanche is here to stay
    if these sales keep up. This is reassuring to me.

Joe
  • Options
    I was just looking for a link that shows GM sales figures. Wanted a guage on how the AV is selling vs. expectations.
    I got an email from the AV spokesman. I asked if there were any planned "changes" for the AV..see below

Brad,
    As you know, the 2002 Chevy Avalanche is just being launched as we speak. We do
    not have any plans to make the side cladding body color. Any changes to the
    Avalanche or for that matter any future Chevy vehicle would be released from the
    Chevy Communciations office.

Randy Fox

Thanks again,
    Brad
  • Options
    mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for passing on the e-mail. I sent a note on to "communications" as well to see if I could get some more insider insight. I'll follow-up here when/if I do. All the best.

-mount1

PS: GM press releases, marketing materials, sales reports, etc. - can all be found under ....

http://media.gm.com/news/

...its a good site to check from time to time.

• Options
    mount1 and bshefmire...thanks for the posts and URL's!
    This is great info for me and I never knew this existed on
    line.

Regards
    Joe
  • Options
    Hope this works?

If not head on over to

http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance-discussion.html and check out the post from yesterday titled "2nd shot better of wheels"

Brad

• Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    But it needs more Rubber around them...
  • Options
    10x10x Member Posts: 1
    I'm taking the big step to buy an AV. Is the bed water tight with the hard covers in place? Has anyone experienced any leaks? If covers are off and if it rains will water run into front cab? Local dealers say "I'm pretty sure it won't but it new to us too."
  • Options
    (Who is Led Zepplin?) for $300 Alex....

Asking a salesperson? yeah, right!

On one of my test drives I stopped by the local "wishy wash" and gave it a good once over. I did this with everything open (midgate down, window stowed, hardcover panels off). There are 2 drain holes on either side of the bed that work pretty well (gotta keep em cleaned out I suppose?). Also, located near the forward cabin on the truck bed is a "dam" of sorts that stops any water from moving forward. I also noticed the bed is somewhat "sloped away from the forward cabin.

I did not test the bed with the hardpanel covers on because I did not have them with me.

I also understand there have been major complaints about the sunroofs leaking in the Burbs and Tahoes.

check out this link

http://suv.s5.com/defect.htm

Keep us posted about your AV!

Brad in SoCal

• Options
    jkoontzjkoontz Member Posts: 3
    I can't decide between the white one or the pewter one. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?
  • Options
    avalanche87avalanche87 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,
    I just talked to my neighbor who works for GM on the Avalanche. He told me that they are putting together some sort of ride to coincide with the big Cruise next week. He said they are doing it on Thursday night around 5 and they are trying to get together something like 30-40 Avalanches together to ride a bunch of their employees around Woodward and then have a party at Poppleton Park (15 mile and Woodward) after their cruise. I think I will be there just to see that many Avalanches and I suggest anyone in the Detroit area that is thinking about heading down there to check this out.
  • Options
    Ok, coming up on a month now and have been is several heavy storms plus a few washes. First, the sunroof doesn't leak, I think that is a solved issue. As for the bed, I have yet to have more than a few drops inside the cargo area and I have checked just after the storm. I also have a driveway which forces it to point downhill. No water inside the cab or bed. As far as leaks with the covers off, don't know, haven't tested. There is a drain grate at the midgate and, as stated above, 4 drain holes (about 2"x1") 2 on each side.

Hope this helps....

Bear
  • Options
    simtechraysimtechray Member Posts: 8
    Could a few more owners post up some pics in the photo section. I'd like to see some other colos besides blue and silver.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    a red one this weekend up at our lake.

Looked hmmm futuristic. Didnt get a chance to talk to the guy but he was towing a large bass boat.

I liked the silver one i seen but when i seen this red one i dont know maybe it was the color?
  • Options
    timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    OK, so much for the pokes at your grammar. While on a week's vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks, we saw (NOT seen) two around town - white and black. The black one was from a client/dealer of mine (offered to me for $8k over what I am paying). Most Chevy lots had one or two Avs in the front row. I expected to see more on the road through Missouri; we spotted only one on I-70.

The red is loud, seemingly more contrast with the cladding than the white.

Jkoontz, the pewter is more subdued and hides dirt better; the white, when clean, is good looking.
  • Options
    Let me guess your an english teacher?

Funny thing though i have gotten A's in all my english related classes. To bad im not an english major.
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Seen in the Sunday Paper that Northridge Chevorlet is selling the AV at INVOICE, every other dealer wants STICKER for them, we'll see what this does to the price of the rest.
  • Options
    I read Motor Trends feature article on 48 hours in Death Valley.
    The AV was one of the 8 or 9 vehicles. They were happy with the AV
    and were positive on a few catagories of performance, but as
    is usually the case, they slammed the cladding. It seems that
    all authors who reviewed the AV jump on the cladding bashing boat.
    (It must be a right of passage for auto writers...:)

One thing that makes me loose credibity for MT is that they just spent
    48 hours in sand, dirt, and rocks yet they fail to even mention if
    the AV's cladding was effective against off road body damage
    (eg...nicks, dents and scratchs from tossed up rocks and brush)
    I would have loved to hear the verdict on the AV compared to the
    other cladding-less trucks. Not very objective on the part of MT!

Joe
  • Options
    just educated. With all the A's, tell me that spelling "your" when you meant "you're", and "to" when it should be "too" is just you joking around. Or, maybe it's a good thing you're not an English major.

Bowhunt - If these dealers keep on thinking they can get at or above MSRP, the inventory of Avs on the lots will build. I can't believe that anyone is seeing so much demand that they think they can get sticker. Does Northridge have Avs on the lot?An ad yesterday had financing on the Trailblazer at 3.9% - another brand new model with decent reviews and demand.
  • Options
    lazyness? Dont feel like typing extra letters or symbols when i dont (don't) need to.

I guess its internet lingo.

you = u
    things like that

some of its joking around (too vs too) and other times its cause its late and im tired (not thinking)

Sorry ill try to do better

Hey an av question how come they dont have the yellow turn signal on the rear lights like the rados?

Ryan
  • Options
    Ryan, don't you know yellow clashes with the cladding? You aren't an art major, are you?

Seriously, it must just be a styling issue. More of the vehicles coming out recently have all red or even the chrome look with red inserts on the tail lights.

Talking about lights, I know I will like the headlight below the bowtie bar on our Av. A better idea from the GM crew. I blinded more than one driver with the lights from our F150 in their rearview mirror. The 4WD F150 sits so high that the lights shoot right over the trunk lid.
  • Options
    Nope not an art major.

Engineering major. 2 yrs to go

I thought the yellow turn signals were a safety feature? Kinda wierd they didnt use it on the av. The tahoes, burbs, silverados and most of the new gm vehicles have them if not all
  • Options
    Thanks, Frank - I'll need to pick up the magazine. Online - Good pics of Death Valley test. 8 vehicles - 4 of them GM models. You can also vote for your choice - Escalade is leading?
  • Options
    Remember the 'rado design (includes the sub, tahoe, etc.) is three years old. Your 'rado is now officially outdated. The new Trailblazer has red lenses. Maybe you can find all red to update your truck, Babs.

However, you can find yellow on the new Envoy, and others, too. Maufacturer's choice.
  • Options
    One thing the AV in the MT article was the acceleration
    in the sand. Some thing about the AV gave it the best
    hook up in the sand.
  • Options
    outdated?

only 16 months old. almost 19K miles on it.

Its not even broken in yet :)
  • Options
    The realization that your baby is over the hill. Broke-in but not yet broken. You'd better go get yourself an Av.

frankfx - Any other comments from MT on ride, etc. on the Av?
  • Options
    Yes, they did comment that the ride was suburb.

The lock on the tailgate broke so they had to crawl

into the bed from the cab.

They shredded a tire, but that wasn't the AV's fault.

It really seems to me that they didn't give the AV the

attention it should have had. I want to know about

the cladding (we know all about how ugly it is (allegedly)

but what about its body protection?) .

None of the trucks overheated. The Escalade got close

when idling with AC on in 120F heat.

There are some pictures posted on the MT web page:

http://www.motortrend.com

Also, I have been reading the GM press release for 8/1/01

AV sales are 9419 YTD. I find this encouraging. If any

is intersted, go read that report.

Joe

• Options

Joe

• Options

Joe

• Options

Joe

• Options
    mine in for an av?

No way only thing right now id trade for is a 2500HD CC.

My brother on the other hand thinks i should buy him an av. haha he better get a job.

Hey question for you guys with leather. Is there a chevy logo stitched into the seats? The red one we seen had leather seats and a bowtie on/by the headrest
  • Options
    Everyone talks about how well this thing rides. It's my understanding that it's built on a Suburban chassis? Have any of you also driven a new Sub.? Does it not ride just as well? One more comment on the cladding......why not just put it on the 4wd? Same as with the talgate cap, and the bedrail caps on the Sportside. Save that stuff for the work trucks.
This discussion has been closed.