Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• wesyangwesyang Member Posts: 32
    At Seattle SeaFair, the truck is in light gray. It looks very close to the black one shown in the mini brochure. In addition, it has the running-broad but no sun-roof. The demo truck has the 18" wheels. I asked the Chevy rep how much difference between the demo truck and the final production one. He said very few. 18¡± wheels for sure will be replaced.

Interior in demo truck is very close to the current Yokon. The dashboard and front seats are almost identical to Yoken. The only difference I found out is the head-set in the second row seats. They are smaller (more like the head-set in the third row seats of Yokon XL). The Chevy rep said the head-set of second row seats are not adjustable but Chevy web site said yes.

Overall, I feel the truck looks very cool. However, some of my friends think the truck looks funny when they saw it because the cab is very big and truck bed is so short.

Wesley
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..how about Yukon

- Tim
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Were they on the light gray truck? Does the black truck in the brochure show Boards? The red show truck clearly shows boards but I can't pick them out on pictures of the other trucks. I'm wondering if running boards are built in as part of the lower cladding.
  • sviseksvisek Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone know anything about when GMC will get its own product from the GMT805 program(Avalanche) and how it will differ? I would have preferred the Avalanche's looks when I was 16, but 15 years later it seems a little adolescent for a 30-something. And a Cadillac version, which I've heard called the "Warrior" and also the Escalade EXT, strikes me as a bit of a "dandy." GMC's new look, exemplified by the new Yukon Denali, Denali XL, and Sierra C-3, are what I'm looking for....and adding the 6.0 V8 is even better.
    Black truck in the brochure doesn't show the running boards. It's a seperated part from the lower cladding. Chevy rep mentioned the running broad, roof rack when he talked about the accessories for the Avalanche. I guess we have to pay extra to have them.
    will be no twin to the Avalanche - see post #21 on this topic. Also, no 6.0 (at least in the first year).
    Almost a week - no posts. Is the interest level in the Avalanche dropping off, or is there just not enough new info to post? Is interest in the big SUVs and trucks fading as fuel prices stay high? Excursions have been at 0.9 -2.9% financing and you still see them sitting on the lots. Just wondering...
  • superjim2000superjim2000 Member Posts: 314
    I read in car & driver that Caddillac will have a twin to the Ave to compete with the Lincoln Blackwood.
    Last year, when Chevy/GMC introduced the new re-designed Suburban/Tahoe, dealer didn't want to sell them any price other than full MSRP for a full year, do you guys think this will happen to new Avalanche? It seems easier to get close-invoice price on Ford F150 S-Crew than Avalanche. And I really hate to pay dealer more than 500 over invoice.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    to get an Ave for $500 over invoice unless you wait a year.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I got my 99 Z71 LT in Nov 98 (one of the first LT's in the midwest) for $500 over invoice. (due to my repeat customer status with the dealership).
    I have the opportunity to buy a '99 Silverado Z71 LT (fully loaded, 20k miles). I would use it while selling my '92 privately, keep it over the winter and trade it for a new model in the spring. Any idea of what the '99s are bringing in your area? IYO, can I pull this off without getting hurt on the trade?
    In my area, this guy is going for about $21-$23k right now.

Just go to a local Chevy Dealership and tell them you have one you want to trade in right now, and ask what they will give you. It should only be about $1K less in spring.

That will give you an idea of how much you want to lose (pay) for it now.
    I just heard that GMC will build the twin of Ava in 2003 production year.
    Wes - what was the source of your info?
    I read this from one of the online magazine but can't remember from which one, Automobile, MotorTrend or Car & Driver.

I will do a search, if I find it again, I will post a link to that web page.
  • fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    I was glad, after seeing many rag on the S-Crew for having a short bed, to see some question how big the Av bed really is, when half of it's "inside." I was on the original Av mailing list, cause I don't mind the looks at all, but am leaning heavily toward the S-Crew instead. Why? I can fit my dirtbikes in the bed. On full-sized bike with the gate up (even with a kid's bike thrown in); or two adult-sized dirt bikes with the gate down. I don't think the Av will be able to do the same.
    The Avalanche is 63" with the midgate up while the Supercrew is 67.2". The Ava does have the capability to carry full 4X8' sheets of drywall, plywood, etc. with the tail gate up (midgate down). More versatility and interior room with the Ava, if the minimum size of the bed fits your needs.
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    My Dad went to the TX State Fair this weekend. The guy there demonstrating the Avalanche features told him that the 2wd version will be about $35K, and the 4wd will be $39K. After hearing that I'm glad I ordered my 2500HD instead. But The Avalanche is still a cool idea, just too pricey for in my opinion.
  • jose13jose13 Member Posts: 11
    isn't that sort of the twin to the Avalanche? from pictures (read: guesstimating) it looks similar in dimensions... or is it something different altogether?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Nope the terradyne is a work horse truck. Has the 6.6 duramax 4 wheel steering (all 4 wheels turn) on board generator and storage. power sliding doors. Terradyne is a concept truck and probably wont ever see production (the concept is like cost a few million dollars)

Ryan
    From AutomotiveNews.com...

CHEVROLET AVALANCHE
    Chevrolet’s new four-door sport-utility/pickup debuts at the beginning of 2001 calendar year as a 2002 model. The truck’s base engine is the 5.3-liter Vortec V-8.

The cargo box is 5 feet 3 inches long. But open a door on the back of the cab, and the cargo area stretches into the passenger compartment and provides an 8-foot-1-inch cargo area.

The Avalanche sets the styling cues for Chevrolet’s future truck line.

GM will offer a Cadillac model based on the Avalanche but no GMC version.

For the 2003 model year, the Avalanche’s standard V-8 engine will be modified to handle blends of ethanol and gasoline of up to 85 percent ethanol, a year after the Tahoe and Suburban receive the same modified engine.
  • testtest Member Posts: 5
    Pickuptruck.com drove the Avalanche. Here is an article I found:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/reviews/2001/chevrolet/avalanche/first_drive.html
    I picked up a magazine in a waiting area this morning (mag called "Outside"?) and a large foldout of the Avalanche was very evident. Has anyone run into a dealer that knows of its existence or possible ordering timeframe?
    I did a web searching on "Chevy Avalanche" to hope finding some new stuff. Here is my search results.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Chevy+Avalanche&btnG=Google+Search
    There are some new Avalanche Concept pictures on www.wieck.com
    And then come these pics. Is it the accessories or the putrid colors? It looks more like an overstuffed Frontier in this configuration. Chevy can lose the brush guard that neatly angles around the bowtie, because the only place this thing is going will be to tailgate weekends where the colors match someone's alma mater. The elk would be puking if they met this in the Rockies!
    The blue suits who came up with this one must have gone camping together one weekend and got a little too heavy into the booze and geef - and then said "hey, what if we did this..."

I agree, its not easy to look at. You would think that there would be no way they could ever let this one get thru, but then they produced the Aztec, so go figure...
    they might keep the entry level models more mundane looking. The Aztec is a good comparison to this concept. GM has recently revised expectations on production for that cube (do I need say lower?). It sure has been quiet as to the release of the production models of the Avalanche.
    Maybe they are still trying to get that rear window working right (without leaks), and are keeping quiet on the release until they know everything works properly.
    Acquisition #13....allow current and future owners to determine operational efficiency of vehicle components.
    What are the first 12 GM Rules of Acquisition?
    Per your request...the first 12

1) Once you have their money, never give it back.

2) You can't cheat an honest customer, but it never hurts to try.

3) Never buy anything for more than is absolutely necessary.(This relates to quality)

4) Sex and profit are the two things that never last long enough.

5) If you can't break a contract, bend it.

6) Never let family stand in the way of opportunity.

7) Always keep your ears open.*

8) Keep count of your change.

9) Instinct plus opportunity equals profit.*

10) A dead customer can't buy as much as a live one.

11) Orange peel isn't the only thing that shines.

12) Anything worth selling is worth selling twice.

Be sure to note #1 and #12 as they are the most used by GM. Especially when talking buyback...LOL!!
    Is your Denali shaking, rattling while rolling? I take it you have a buyback story, but you're still with GM? I, too, have been through the buyback (an '87 Grand Am 2.5l "Iron Duke" with an idle problem - try driving a 5 speed that won't idle below 2500 rpm after a couple stop start sequences.) They did buy the car back and I received an '88 (my third GA) with the Quad 4 and a 5 speed - great car. I was treated fairly; it did take a little haggling but I ended up with more car for the same cost. #12 did hold true - I found out later a guy from a neighboring town bought the '87 and took it to the Univ. of IL. He hadn't had a problem with the high idle, yet. I still prefer GM over other domestics for the ride, economy, performance and looks.
    The problem with the vibrating Denali was taken care of buy replacing the Firestone Firehawks with Michelin LTX M/S. Truck rides real smooth now. Couldn't believe what a difference tires made. The worst thing about it was that they couldn't find anything wrong with the Firestones so they said that it was the nature of the tire...

My '00 silverado came close but so far, the dealerhip continues to work on all the little quality problems...so if they want to continue that's fine with me as I get to drive all the different new trucks while mine is in the shop. Plus I figure the truck is like new with all the new parts they keep putting in...
    on the Avalanche front. Has anyone spoken with a dealer that knows anything about release dates or the model itself? GM is busting out all over with info about the new Envoy, Trailblazer, etc.; what has happened to this model?
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Chevy says production is to begin in January to early February. No hint of order dates, etc. In other words, no new information from the General.
    I think its due to them still not being able to get a good seal on that rear window area.

First thing I'm going to do when I can get my hands on one to test drive is take it thru a drive thru car wash (with towel in hand).
    at this point are speculation. I think the sealing of the window may be less of a concern than the entire mid-gate. I have a 1979 TA with the Fisher T-Tops and have never had a leak problem. As long as the Fisher Body people are being used, I would expect they can make the window seal. Accessories are being offered already on the GM site, including running boards to match the lower cladding. Will the cladding be available in colors other than the gray?
    92 was posted by me; I was logged in. I'll see if it happens again. (timfarn)
    In topic 2325 "Silverado 2500 LD vs 2500 HD 6.0 liter", people talks about new Chevy truck 1500 HD Crew cab. Not sure if it's the same as Avalanche or a totally different new comer.

2001 Ford 150 S-Crew has the new 2nd row seat. Finally, it has the head rest.

Anyone has new info for our long waiting Avalanche? The competition in the full size crew cap goes higher and higher. I wish Chevy ship it on time.
    Still troubles logging in - Town Hall tech is working on it. I have seen other references to the 1500 Crew Cab. It is available to order now - I don't know if it is an HD or a crew cab version of the Silverado. Also, I saw a post in another forum that saw the Avalanche at a show in November and the Chevy rep it was 5-6 months until release.
    I downloaded it on one computer for hotmail and I had login troubles here. The Pickuptruck.com site had the comments about the 1/2 ton Crew Cab.
    I just read the review from Pickuptruck.com. Here is the link http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/2001_GMC_Crew_Cab.html. I bet it has the same wheelbase as the current 1/2 ton super cab with the long bed. Not sure how many home's garage can fit it.

Anyway, I seem like it. Especailly, it can tow more and don't have to wait for several months.

Anyone would like to make a comparison bewteen Avalanche, Chvey 1500 Crew Cab and F150 S-Crew? Seems to me all of them can carry 5-6 people and tow more than 7000-8000 lb. Now, it becomes harder and harder to make a decision :-)
    Not much fanfare, and this model will be on the floors before the Avalanche. I hopespecs are out soon - wheelbase, length, etc. GM should be promoting this model and maybe catch some buyers of the SCrew looking for choices. Another oddity, the Blackwood only available in 2WD. How long will that last? By the way, fixed my problem by dumping MSN Explorer and resetting cookies. My advice - don't download the POS.
    Just before I left work a salesperson with whom I had tested a Yukon called. When I mentioned the 1500 Crew Cab, she said let's check it out. She got on the order system and could spec out the Chevy and the GMC. It is a heavy 1/2 ton and is definitely in the HD line. The base engine is the 6.0. Base MSRP for the Chevy was $31,500 and $31,900 for the GMC. I am certain that all other specs would match the HD 2500 except for load and towing capacities. She had no word on the Avalanche.
    Got a letter from Chevy about Avalanche. Nothing is really new. It still explains the midgate feature.

However, it mentions the optional packages.

Z66 Package:
    17" Aluminum Wheels, Premium Suspension, Traction Control, Locking Differential, Z66 Decal, Rubber Mats.

Z71 Package:
    17" Aluminum Wheels, Premium Suspension, Skid Shields, Locking Differential, High Capacity Air Cleaner, Z71 Decal, Rubber Mats.

Convenient Package:
    Electochromic OSRV Mirror, OnStar, Climate Control, HomeLink.
    Just thought I'd bring this topic to the top of the list in case people have not added it to their preference list yet.
    For what it's worth, I talked to my dealer/client last night and the sales person checked up on the status of the Avalanche. She described two spec/order systems - one is showing ordering commencing 01/01 and production in January/delivery in late Jan. or Feb. She is to check to make certain this is correct and call me next me week to try and spec a unit out, if possible. Also, no 1500 HD Crew Cabs have been ordered yet.
    I viewed a launch web site with my dealer and it stated order generation begins in January with pricing available in Feb/March. Target markets are the top truck markets for GM - TX, CA and FL. Distribution will be focused on these markets initially, however each dealer nationwide has an allocation of one truck to be shipped within the first 90 days after introduction. A calendar of events schedules media blitzes in March.

Also:

No GMC "cousin" to the Avalanche.

There will be a product with the flexibility of the Avalanche in a vehicle that will be distinctively Cadillac.

Chevrolet is forecasting more than 100,000 units in its first year.
This discussion has been closed.