Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Avalanche

Comments

• fpmikefpmike Member Posts: 21
    I just received an email response from gmpartsdirect.com.

1. The color coded running boards (pewter) for the left hand is part number 15768547. For the right hand is part number 15768546.
    2. The black running boards for the left hand is part number 15718561. The right hand is part number 15718562.
    3. The roof rack is part number 12497773.
    4. The tent extension is part number 12497828.
    5. The hood protector is part number 12497830.

Stuart (markiii), I will check my digital pictures for the lot numbers and post it when I get home this weekend.
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    Had anyone put a front license plate on the front bumper yet? I noticed that to do it, you will have to drill holes. There are some indents in the plastic. Is that where the holes need to be drilled? Is the standard screw that comes with a license plate going to screw into the hole behind the plastic?

Has anyone got their AV front end aligned yet? Are there knockouts on the AV that need to be taken out like there is on a 96 Silverado?

Dennis
    Proud owner of an Avalanche since 06/06/01.
  • fpmikefpmike Member Posts: 21
    The Lot Number I previously posted had an error.
    The correct number is: DOT MKT6 BYDR 1901

markiii: I verified the lot number as noted above. My AV got home last night and the new tires are lot number: DOT MKT6 BYDR 2001
  • gerrickgerrick Member Posts: 21
    Found a website listing TSB's for 2002 gm models - a couple of interesting avalanche topics [but none that seem major issues]

http://www.geocities.com/crackeregg/gmsi.html

Still waiting for mine...supposed to be built next week.

• minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    gotta finally gotta throw in my two cent's worth. Been watching the Avalanche develop for, what, two years now? First thought was it was a great idea with the usual caveat that nothing GM should be purchased in the first year of production. But looking at the final unfortunate execution, styling, and timing of the introduction I think GM has finally, 44 model years later, met it's Edsel. This thing might play well in So.Cal.(yeah, I've lived there in my checkered past so I get to express my opinion) and, maybe, Seattle but it's either sinking like a rock, or going to, everywhere else. Low end gas mileage on a vehicle that doesn't know if it's a truck or an SUV at the same time the economy's tanking and gas prices are all over the place, mostly up. Wierd styling, and function ill suited to almost any real family; both of which also totally turn off any real truck guy. Model year 2002 discounts, 2+ months after it hits dealer lots and after all that hype, that make 2001 Sub/Tahoe kick backs look almost stingy by comparison. Last straw was when I got to poke at one up close and personal. What an ugly, dysfunctional truck; and even less good at being an SUV. Much as I hate to say this, Ford got it right with the SuperCrew. I just wish to hell GM would build one. Just MHO!
    -- Don
  • darkeyedarkeye Member Posts: 36
    I have had over 40 people look at my truck and talk about it with me and only a couple of them had negative things to say about the Avalanche. I have had diehard Ford owners drive my Av and they comment on how nice it is and wish they could get one.

I'm still getting 16.78 mpg in the city.

Dennis
    Proud owner of an Avalanche since 06/06/01.
  • bshefmirebshefmire Member Posts: 39
    Damn, My wife told me I should have waited until Don gave his opinion.
    I doubt that people who can afford the AV look a fuel economy or give a crap... "what the vehicle thinks about itself".
    Go trade in your rado for a "Ford got it right with the SuperScrew" and then go slam your new Ford family over on their board!
    Brad in SoCal
    Nope; don't think Oz uses terms like IMHO. But if i just bought an Av and liked it and lived in SoCal, I'd be grumpy with me, too

Dennis -- thanks for the gas mileage numbers, I would have thought it would be lower than that. Have no intention of trading my Silverado; if I'd wanted a Screw I would have bought one in the first place. The Chevy's far better even without the crew cab space. My problem with the Av is that I think it would have been neat if GM had just taken that excellent chassis and made a chopped Suburban instead of adding all the tinker toy stuff and cladding and creating an extra six inches of liftover height and adding 400+ pounds with a bed that makes a Screw's look large. Went back over to my Chevy dealer again today. I've been trying really hard to like this thing, if for no other reason than it's cheaper than adding a Tahoe to what I already have and has the full size Sub rear doors. Too bad they don't make it in Charcoal; that would almost blend with the cladding. Dealer had a black 8100 3/4 ton on the lot. Wonder what that runs like? Have a nice weekend, Ya' all.
    -- Don
  • jjglantonjjglanton Member Posts: 3
    Picked it up yesterday. I was planning on getting a pewter Av, but never quite liked any of the colors until I saw the North Face in Medium Sage Green Metallic. This was the first time I saw this color and I instantly liked it. It looks sharp with the cladding and the multicolor green leather interior. You can see pics of it in the centerfold of the new full-size Av brochure.

Everything is perfect so far, no complaints. All the upholstery is perfectly made (I was a little worried that they might blow it on a special edition). It was Sunday and the parts department was closed so they still owe me my roof rack, Dufelo bags, and Summit Pods so I can't comment on these yet.

MSRP was $37660
    Invoice was $33460
    Price was $32660

All Avs can be had for well under invoice these days. The base model can be had for $25K which I thing is a helluva deal compared to the competition, if you don't mind the cheap interior.
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Where did you get at North Face Edition for $800 under invoice? Where I live the dealers aren't marking them down very much as they seem to be selling well. Very curious!
  • wfbartowfbarto Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone compared the ride and handling of these two differently equipped 2wd Avs? I drove a Z66 about 3 weeks ago and really liked it and then yesterday I drove a non-Z66 and it seemed much less impressive all around in terms of handling and ride. Was wondering if anyone else had made the comparison and what your comments were.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    although maybe not quite so strongly. The only reason I'd consider an Av is because it's the only real GM 1/2 ton CC choice we have. Much as I like all the power I can get I really don't need the 6.0, don't want the the longer wheelbase, so don't need or want the heavier duty 1500HD.
  • timfarntimfarn Member Posts: 289
    Don, you've looked at the Av - drive it to give a more objective critique. Styling isn't going to suit everyone's taste, but this truck is unbelievable on the road. There is absolutely no comparison to a Screw.

Assumption - poor mileage - I'm still under 1,000 miles and at 17.2 MPG. (Z71)

"function ill suited to almost any real family" - we have used the bed, covered and uncovered, to transport dogs, gear, you name it. The topboxes hold my towing gear.

People are constantly wanting to take a closer look and check out the features. If you check the pricing, you won't find 2002 discounts, just dealers willing to sell near invoice.
    I live in Southern California. Here, all versions of the Av can be had for under invoice. I expected them to try to tell me that the North Face was special and deserved a higher price, but they didn't even try. I made my offer of $800 under invoice, they said that had to at least make $100 dollars (boo hoo), I started to stand up, they took my offer. Took five minutes.
    these great deals but I'm glad I'm not the Salesman trying to make a living on them. They work on a percentage and when it's invoice or less they usually just get a "mini" of $100 - $150. Takes a helluva lot of them to make a living. Been there, done that. I allways remember one of the films we saw where this Customer tells the Salesman to give them this great deal and "make it up on the next Customer". The Salesman replies "what if you are that next Customer"?!
  • mount1mount1 Member Posts: 22
    jjglanton: If I may....what was your down payment & what type of financing (or cash) did you swing on $800 under invoice?

-------

txyank1: I'm sorry, but getting the best deal for me and my family comes long before I'll start to worrying about the salesman's commission. The give and take - let's make a deal - process is the result of the car dealers - not the buyers. Buyers should receive nothing but kudos for swinging the best deal they can. Show me a car salesman who would not "want" the most money he could get for a vehicle in order to pad his commission and I'll show you a Saturn dealer.

My apologies to the Av board for my digression.

-mount1
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Here in central NJ, each Chevy dealer has maybe one Av on the lot, and it's usually a demo that a salesman is driving. And I've only seen one Av on the road since they began making them. Can someone explain this oddity? I don't think I could expect to pay around invoice for a vehicle that is so rare. Anybody else out there buy an Av in the northeast part of the country?
    Also, GMBuyPower.com for some reason does not list the Av in their database, so I can't even search for Av's at the Chevy dealers in my area.
    ...or any other site you can view pricing at. This will list invoice and retail so you can have an idea what $100 over/under invoice really is. GM will not list the AV on buypower until it is available everywhere (that's "their" story).
    I think the "oddity" has been given many explanations if you simply look "back" at all the opinions throughout this group!

Brad in SoCal
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Seem pretty lumpy around the country....
    here in upstate NY, dealers have 4 to 5 Avalanches on the lots....CT only had 1 to 2...down in SC, dealers had 4 to 5 per...

GM Buypower website now lists the AV on it, so you can do some remote dealer snooping.
    Now that is bizarre. Yesterday - no Avalanche on GMBuyPower. Today - there it is magically. Of course what's with the color Av they show as a sample of the vehicle?
    50 - 60 on the lots!
    I searched for 2WD Av's at the five dealerships in my area. There were a total of two trucks, neither of which was equipped with the Z66 package. It amazes me that there are 50-60 on the lots in Austin. Maybe I should move.

Anybody here special order an Av? If so, how long does it take to get them built?
    Ordered Indigo Z71 w/Neutral Leather, Convenience Pkg., Sunroof, Running Boards on 7/6; arrived at dealer (Iowa) on 8/21.

BTW, getting out of Jersey would do you good - living there has you speculating on towing with a Kia!???
    Ordered Forest Green Z71 w/graphite cloth buckets, Convenience Pkg., Sunroof, Running Boards, block heater on 7/13; TBW this week [have not heard anything from my dealer yet - going to call tomorrow][Illinois]
    According to the dealer, I got caught in the summer shutdown period..should have ordered one week earlier!
    Come on now - my trailer is only a popup camper, so it should be able to be towed by a van. Actually, to pull it with an Av would be extreme overkill, but I just love the looks of the truck and I'd be set for a heavier trailer if I decide to move up in the future.

And besides, why would I want to move out of NJ, especially where I'd need to order a vehicle with an engine block heater! I had enough of that bad weather back in college.
    contacting Nelson Auto Group in Austin. (nelsonautogroup.com) They are a used vehicle Dealer (mainly trucks) but have connections with New Car Dealers and will find vehicles. Who knows maybe they could find one for you at an acceptable price. Maybe I could even drive it up to you. And visit upstate NY. BTW....my Son-in-Law (Dick Batten) works for Nelson. I bought my GMC through them from a Dealer in San Antonio.
    I haven't seen a forest green Av yet, it should look good. Do you keep your vehicle outside that you ordered the block heater?

I'll be through on my way to Bloomington-Normal mid-month; what dealer did you order through? Hopefully you'll hear soon on delivery - two to three weeks from TPW, depending on how quickly they can get a load scheduled out of Wentzville, MO.
    Unfortunately, the wife gets to keep her mustang in the garage...AV won't fit...the larger garage plans have to wait about a year or two, so the new truck sits in the driveway. It only gets cold enough to use the block heater seriously 3-4 times a year, but for $27.39, if I use it once the entire time I own the truck, I'll feel good about spending the cash.
    Odered the AV from Sam Lehman Chevy in Eureka, Sales guy called me right before I was going to call him. My AV has been built and I have the VIN #, just got to wait for it to arrive. I checked the rail line tracking website, but nothing comes up for my VIN: I'm guessing its not on the train yet or something. Another added bonus: Chevy just started a new dealer rebate for the AV in September - $500. Since I used GMS pricing, this comes right off the top, before taxes. With this added rebate, I'm now about $1,000 below invoice with GMS pricing.
    Uftring Chevy in Washington just got a forest green Z71 all options in a few days ago. Can't wait for mine to get here. I've seen all colors in person now except the sunset orange metallic. All Chevy dealers around Peoria have 3-4 AV's now.
    Well I'm not very happy tonight. Picked up my Av from the dealer tonight after having the roof rack installed. Got it home and found that the crossbars wouldn't tighten down. They were all loose and floppy and sliding around. Something was wrong with them. Weren't safe to drive with, so I gently started to remove the rear crossbar and to my horror it lifted the left guide rail right off the roof. Some moron better not have drilled the holes in my roof too big but that's what it looks like. And the crossbars are flimsy plastic crap. Wish I had not got the roof rack altogether.
  • robbins_robbins_ Member Posts: 37
    I hope you are wrong about that, but it sounds like someone screwed up. I decided against the rack from the start, sounds like I made the right decision

Bear
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    I think Chevy could have come up with a better ad for the Av than two guys driving the Av, stopping to drop the "mid-gate" and getting back in and driving, seems like wasted advertising money to me.
    My wife and I bought our first new vehicle, an '86 Grand Am SE, from Sam Leman when we lived in Peoria. We had a good experience all around with them.

jj - Hope it works out with the rack. For others contemplating ordering with a roof rack: After 8 years with a Jimmy with the rack, we used it only three to four times. The time to wash and wax around is not worth it. The bed on the Av should take care of the items we had to put on the roof.
  • showme1showme1 Member Posts: 38
    Mine has roof rack as desired for one reason. I am making an extention from the receiver hitch up to the level of the roof rack to haul a 40' extention (20 + 20)ladder back & forth from farm to our house. I've had no concern with mine and it looks good too. Haven't hauled anything there yet either.
    Roger
    I have a Windstar minvan and have used the roof rack extensively to attach storages bags, canoes, and furniture. But I must agree about the Av - with all that enclosable space in the bed, I'm not sure I'd need a roof rack.

Does anyone have an Av with the bench seat up front? Is it reasonably big enough to fit three people up front? My search on GMBuyPower has revealed mostly vehicles in stock with reclining bucket seats. I need the ability to haul 6 people around on occassion.
    the front will seat three. Biggest drawback being the center hump. It would be best if they were relatively good friends and didn't have BO.
    Well then, that eliminates the In-Laws! LOL!!
  • dsw7311dsw7311 Member Posts: 15
    Well I have had my Avalanche for 3 1/2 months now and over 8300 miles. No problems so far and only small problem I have had was drivers headrest had to be replaced because fabric cover wouldn't stay clipped on. We have had quite a bit of rain here in Dallas/Ft Worth area and not more than a few drops of water in the bed. Getting about 17MPG on average consistantly. Wish I got paid a buck for everytime I have had to demonstrate the midgate.
    Haha
    Want a cheaper Av and a vacation in the high country at the same time? Roth Chevrolet, south side of Denver, has roughly 20 on their lot. That was last weekend, maybe more now. Most, or at least half, are Z-71s. I'd expect any one of these would go at around $5000 off MSRP. If you're adverse to negotiating, our local Elway dealer will peel $4100 off sticker.
    -- Don
  • simtechraysimtechray Member Posts: 8
    I read you were looking for AV's in Central NJ.
    Check Chevy dealer on RT 88 Lakewood, last count was about 20 on lot.
  • drewdrumdrewdrum Member Posts: 1
    It was raining yesterday, very hard at times, so I decided to go to Bill Kay Chevolet in Lisle,Il to check on the AVs for water seepage into the truck bed. There were about 8 AVs on the lot, all of them were Z71s except for the one 2500 4X4. All of the AVs had the hard covers in place and a rubber mat on the bottom of the truck beds. I opened the tailgates and found no evidence of water seepage into the beds with the exception of a couple drops at both lower corners on the back of the midgate. That is, until I looked underneath the rubber bedliner. There was water pooled between the rubber mat and the truck bed - a lot of water. The rubber mat was dry on top so the water must have gotten in some way other than dripping down through the hard cover. This was true for all the AVs.

I found two other quality issues which bothered me. One was that the front grill and brush guard were made of a very cheap plastic. Is very very flexible and seemes like it would be easily broken or chipped. The second issue was the top set of lights on the front of the vehicle (there are so many lights on the front of the AVs I don't know what they are all for). If you push (lightly) the plastic housing the whole housing will move inward. It appears, they are attached to the truck only at the top part of the housing. The bottom of the housing can be pushed in exposing an opening. The housing will come back to it original position when you stop pushing but geez GM....screw those things in all around.

A couple other observations: the tailgate needs a pretty hefty slam to close it securely, the running boards are not very wide and don't hang out far enough, the drain holes in the cargo boxes cause the water to drip down in front of the rear wheels right over a very thin exposed wire....hmmm.

All in all it's a killer truck. I think it looks great in the Pewter, Black, Blue, or Green (not fond of the White). If someone could put me at ease about the water in the truck bed issue that would help my purchasing decision since I will use it to carry musical instruments and other "DO NOT GET WET" equipment around.
    The same material in the grille has been used on other vehicles. The flexibility and "give" may help with flying debris. The top set of lights are the turn/parking lamps. Again, they don't require aiming like the headlamps; a little play may help in deflecting oblects. Below the "Bowtie Bar" are the dim/bright headlamps. Below that are the DRLs and the foglamps. The DRLs are the inboard pair.

On the cargo area and water, ours seals tightly and protects the contents. I haven't had water on top of the mat yet. Closing the tailgate requires effort because of the sealing. Besides being top heavy and awkward due to its height, it has a full seal around the perimeter. Water tightness comes at an expense. Try closing the tailgate with the midgate down to see the difference with no air to compress.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    go to www.pickuptruck.com and see the pics of Avs, even can vote on the one you like, may even give you guys some ideas to set your truck apart from the rest.
    I do not know if it is a quality issue related to water in the bed. The system is designed to move water away from the cargo mat, not eliminate it. Here is a reference from the GM list of TSB's for the avalanche:

Chevrolet Avalanche Cargo Area

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

The Chevrolet Avalanche is designed to give customers unrivaled flexibility. Avalanche delivers on that promise through the many unique and useful ways this vehicle can be configured. Not unlike a convertible car, Avalanche's cargo and passenger area can be opened to the environment. As a result, some care must be exercised to ensure proper performance of the Convert-a-Cab® System.

The Avalanche's overall water management goal is to ensure the contents of the cargo area remain dry and protected. To achieve this, the Avalanche uses an exclusive Water Management System to move water away from cargo that is placed on the rubber cargo mat. The system is designed to manage water whether the cover system is in place or removed. This allows customers to use this area as they would a pickup truck bed, as well as carry a wide range of cargo including dirty, wet and otherwise messy items.

The Avalanche's Water Management System is designed to quickly direct water out of the cargo box. With cargo covers in place, there may be certain conditions (e.g.; heavy rains, automated car washes) where some water may be present in the following areas:

Drainage area (51 mm (2 in) wide) around the back three sides of the cargo box

Cargo box walls

Under the cargo mat

Endgate

Catch cup and gutters

goto:

http://www.geocities.com/crackeregg/bulletins/01-08-66-006.html

for more information. Hope this helps in your decision making...

• ropdropd Member Posts: 6
    Can I wax it yet? That indigo blue is absolutely unmatched (in my humble opinion) but after two weeks of nearly daily rain the water spots are forming and setting in. Not to mention it's love bug season in Florida. For those not familiar with the Florida love bugs, let me know. They have been known to nearly cover the front of a vehicle in a short 50 mile stretch of turnpike driving. Ya gotta admire the little critters for their virility in flight but their splattered little bodies will eat away the paint. Anyway, can I wax this beast yet? I know there used to be a "waiting period" until the paint cured or something.

Rich
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    is gas there $5 a gallon?
    Today's paints do not require a "curing period". You can wax to your heart's content. Check out www.LS1.com site and go to the forum titled "show car detailing". There is lots of good info by pro detailers.
    You will be introduced to a great product we all use called Zaino.
    Have fun washing that Indigo Blue.
    Brad in SoCal
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Ryan, we have a topic over in News & Views for this...

Report Your Local Gas Prices Here

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I AM ASKING here because i know a few guys on this board are from indianapolis
    I have a bone Stock Z66 and am currently @ about 330 miles with 1/4 tank left. My calculations put me at about 13 miles per gallon. Where the hell is 16-18 miles per gallon? What could I look into to get more?

Thanks, Brad
This discussion has been closed.