Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Vibrating Chevy Silverado Buyback

obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
since a lot of 2wd '99-'00 Silverado owners are
saying that they are initiating buyback after the
last TSB to change the rack and pinion. My question
for those that have gone through buyback is what
becomes of the mods, if any, that you had placed on
the truck? Remove and sell them on ebay? Maybe on
this forum? Leave them on the truck? Curious on
this cause a lot of owners have modified their
trucks...Thanks in advance...

Also what kind of problems encountered during the
process? Any bits of info that you could pass on?

Thanks again...

Dean

Comments

• scrappy6scrappy6 Member Posts: 13
    I had the rear leaf springs replaced on my "00 Silverado and then the rack and pinion....and now with the new rack on you can feel the slightest vibrations on the road so it is in my opinion not as smooth as the first one that was on there that squeeled. As far as the mods go you would be on your own on that one. They won't give you squat for anything now adays....Adam
  • timoliver2timoliver2 Member Posts: 1
    How does the buyback process work. I
    have a Silverado 2wd and have had all the
    ride and tire problems.
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    does that mean that you're not gonna buy another
    silverado? i sure this whole ordeal has been a
    heartbreaker for you and would probably leave
    anyone in a pissed of state of mind, especially
    towards GM for having let you go through what you
    have over these past months. it seems though that
    you like the new silverado and it's features. it
    also seems that if you wanted to buy another one
    that chevy would build you good one if you
    ordered another one. when i bought mine i was
    told that a different than normal order number
    went in to the order system, which was to help
    insure that the truck got special attention on
    the line. don't know if this is true but so far
    the truck has been virtually flawless.

don't give up.

...red
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    red and dean,
    I think that if I were in the buy back situation, I would skip the re-purchase part. If you're really determined to go with another truck from the same manufacturer, I would wait another model year or so. If you have to have a truck buy a beater and do just enough maintenance to survive a year or two. If you need something reliable for the business I would go to one of the rental companies. (Hertz, Avis, Enterprise but not National.) The guy at my local Enterprise told me that they will sell their pick ups at about 30-35K miles. All three usually include a decent warranty with the vehicle.

Even a short term (1 year) ride in a D, F or T might give you a different perspective, especially when you KNOW the durn thing is going to be gone in 12 months.

As far as a 'Special Order Code' goes, I have my doubts. I took a tour of the factory in Flint many years ago. The only 'Special Treatment' that I noticed was how they adjusted to doors to make them close correctly. (Two guys, one with a 10 pound sledge and the other with a protective steel plate. The plate was placed on the door jamb and whacked with the sledge until it closed correctly. Special treatment indeed!)

Whatever you decide, get something that's "Right" for you and the H*** with everyone else.

Good luck.

Rich
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    red and Rich,
    thanks for the comments...
    I'm glad I didn't trade my '91 Nissan when purchasing the 'rado. Only problem with the truck was tranny replacement at 35k miles under warranty. Of course it's no comparison to the 'rado. But it doesn't vibrate and it's doors, after nine years, still close with no Olympic effort like my new Chevy. All in all, the Chevy has been a good experience as I know all the service advisors, shop foreman, service manager, sales manager, finance manager, and general manager of my dealership on a first name basis. Even got invited to the sales managers house for a cigar bust. Of course, the fact when negotiating the price of the 'rado, I bribed the sales person to foresake his commission and give me his lowest price with $200 cash and the sales manager with a $30 Opus X cigar sure helped.

It's 3:22 am in Hawaii as I type this. What's funny is I think I'm going to wash the truck and reprogram with the HPIII right now. So for now, it appears that I'm going to keep it and have the service department work more on it cause I ain't gonna remove no $6k worth of mods on the friggin thing. So, if anything, I'll wait a year or two and probably trade it in for another. Hopefully GM won't come out with a "new model" by then. Oh yeah, since the autobody shop left both control arms and rack in the back of my truck, I welded the two control arms together and will return them to the dealer tommorrow. I guess the devil made me do it. Yawl have a good hair day now.

Dean
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    I remember in some of the old messages that the BBB would figure in any mods in an official Lemon Buyback. Of course Lemon Laws vary from state to state. If you go directly through Chevy, it is probably negotiable (as everything is).
    same thing dealer said when asking if I was interested in a '01 model. Even offered to transfer mods from old to new.

Checked my state's Lemon Law and doesn't have anything relating to the subject of modifications...maybe an attorney might help on this one. Even though it could be negotiated, don't know if I would want to start all over again and order the damn things. Cause I know I couldn't live with the truck in stock form. Too much fun afterall the mods as it takes on its own personality, so to speak...
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    weld 'em together eh?.....you are a sick man....that's why we get along so darn good!

..sounds like something I would do...

hehehehhe

- Tim
    the face of the service advisor. He asked if the control arms were welded together when I found them in the truck. I told him I guess so cause I didn't touch those things since they were dirty. So he assumed that the auto body shop did it to prevent someone from trying to use it on another vehicle. I told him that was a great idea and left. It was kinda heavy though cause one control arm isn't too bad, but two welded together starts to get a little clumsy and heavy.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    would have used them on another truck too......so they get what they deserve...

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Good one Dean. Thats so funny

Ryan
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    included. In Wisconsin, under the state lemon law, the cost of any accessories or modifications will not be reimbursed to the owner. So with this info, I'm seeking a replacement truck (2001). Still waiting to hear back from the BBB (was told approx. 2 weeks)
    You were told two weeks from the time the BBB received your letter? If so, that's pretty quick.
    received a call from the BBB today. They are working on scheduling a hearing the week of August 28th. I originally had contacted them on July 24th. So, I would say they are responding fairly quick. I would imagine that GM will try to contact me prior to the hearing, should prove to be interesting.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Has anyone heard about buybacks on 2000 4x4, shortbeds? How about frame modifications on the 2001 models? It seems to me that if they made modifications on the 2001's, then they are saying that the 2000's were built wrong or faulty..
  • tiredofwaitingtiredofwaiting Member Posts: 74
    I think they will argue it is not a fix to the frame merely an "improvement". Otherwise they would be admitting a defect and the flood gates would open. Kinda like Firestone tires.
    Therefore, they will say nobody is really entitled to it retroactivly or through a buy back.
    Clay
    <<A HREF="http://agmlemon.freeservers.com">http://agmlemon.freeservers.com&gt;
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Has anybody filed their BBB complaint through the BBB website? I have tried this, and I hope it wasn't a mistake! I have thought about it and realized that I don't have any way of knowing for sure if they have received it, or if they are doing anything with it. How long should I wait before calling to check?
    confirm that they did receive the letter. For the additional piece of mind. I'm sure they check their site daily. If not they could probably let you know when to call back.
    Give the BBB a call, I called 4 days after mailing the claim form to make sure they received it. Also, I was notified yesterday for my hearing on Aug. 29th, I would imagine GM will be calling soon! I'll keep everyone posted as it should get interesting quick.
    How did they notify you? By phone, mail, email?
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    URL for their website?
    The BBB contacted me by phone. Will be sending some papers in the mail with map to hearing location.

Don't have the URL, search for Better Business Bureau should get you there.
    To file my BBB claim. Also when you get your paperwork from them you can fax it back instead of mailing. I did. The fax number is on the form.
    BTW settled with GM on a "Trade Back". Dealer is attempting to locate a 01...

Clay
    are they locating a vehicle to your specs? Or could you order a truck like you had(hopefully without all of the problems)?
    Said they would locate. The BBB said they were sending me an agreement in writing that stated GM would comply in 45 days... I guess if they don't find one just like mine in 45 days they will give me one with more options...since they wont let me order...and there are not many GMCs out there. Only one in 300 airmiles of my dealer that was leather. It was completly Loaded $31,000.

Clay
  • steveguitarsteveguitar Member Posts: 12
    Hang in there and don't give up. Gm will try to get you upset, hoping you'll give up or give into them and their demands. They even tried to say that I said my truck was fixed and ok. That was far from right and I WON my case through the BBB. My truck even QUIT on the way back from the BBB meeting (only 35 miles from home). Had to have it towed into a dealership for another repair. This time ignition module @ 12000 miles!!! Are the trucks really this bad or is mine just a lemon?
    url for Better Business Bureau is http://www.bbb.org
    I think after mine is repurchased, I'll buy a 2000 Firebird and a 96 or so truck. I can get a brand new Firebird for about $16,000, and after checking the Firebird thread on TownHall, with only two complaints from over 400 posts, I think I'll have alot less problems (hopefully!).
    Can you give us the details on your buyback? Like you said, GM called and told me that since the tires are not the ones the truck was originally delivered with, that they were no longer responsible. She seemed to be more interested in finding a loop-hole than in judging whether or not there was actually something wrong with the truck. When I told her that the dealer fit a set of tires from a truck on their lot, and it still vibrated, she told me that they should not have done this, and asked why they did. I told her that GM specifically told them to do this. She said she would have to check on that, but that she was denying a buy-back. Big shocker there. Unfortunately, I read the BBB stuff, and according to the literature, the best I could do through abritration would be purchase price minus any rebates minus a milage charge based on the milage at the abritration hearing. No refund for taxes, tags, etc. Based on these figures, the best I could get would be about $18,770 on a truck I paid $21,652 with extended warranty ($470)(sticker of $23,200), plus $850 excise tax and $100 for tag for a total cost of 11,000 miles and 9 months of ownership of $3,832. NADA lists a retail value of $19,900 for a '99 with 24,000 miles on it and equipped like mine! And I'm supposed to take $18,770 and be happy? This is ridiculous.
    If you trade it in for another one, maybe a 2001 or a 2500, I wonder if you will have to repay the taxes?? Might have to pay on the difference in price maybe? I don't know, but it looks like it might save you 800 bucks or so. Still not a great deal for a defective truck, I agree. As you can tell, it's best to get they to buy it back with low mileage. The only things that count are - the price of the vehicle - if you can get them to buy it back - and how much mileage is on the truck. You don't get any credit for aggrevation or doing without your truck while it's in the shop. As a matter of fact, you don't get any credit for the possible hundreds of miles the dealership drove your truck to test the vibration fixes.
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    I appreciate the information provided on this topic. I know very little about the process of "buybacks and the lemon law." I am not even considering it and hope I do not have to consider it. My 00 up to this point has had only a few of what I consider minor problems and nothing major. (I better knock on some wood) I can certainly understand the frustration that some of you are going through. At the same time it appears that when it is all said and done that it is not a very good deal for the truck owner. I guess it comes down to just how bad the individual truck is with down time, repair time, frustration, etc., etc. for one to decide to go through the process, then take a financial hit at the end. Power to you!!! Have any idea on what the success rate is for truck owners in these decisions? GM will not provide, Would the BBB have and share this information? Keep us posted. Good Luck. Bob
    The lemon law has its variations from state to state. The mileage deduction is based on the mileage at the first service for the buyback problem. While I have 12,000 miles on my truck, the mileage calculated for buyback would be 800 as that is when the first warranty service began for my vibrations. The rest of the mileage can be attributed to GM while trying to correct the problem. I'm sure you are aware of the 3 times and you're out criteria as well as the 30 working days out of service unless for safety reasons where the owner is not required to use these. GM is allowed the opportunity to repair the vehicle, the owner is not held responsible for any mileage after the initial. I didn't check on other states, for mine, the above applies.
    AND THE ARBITRATOR RULES IN YOUR FAVOR THEY WILL USE THE CASH PRICE OFF THE SIGNED PURCHASE AGREEMENT. LESS THE DOLLARS TAKEN OFF FOR MILEAGE AT THE TIME OF ARBITRATION. SOME STATES ALLOW FOR THIS CALCULATION TO BE MADE USING MILES WHEN THE TRUCK WAS FIRST TAKEN IN FOR REPAIR. MY STATE DID NOT ALLOW FOR THIS. MILEAGE DEDUCTION IS CALCULATED MILES AT HEARING DIVIDED BY 100,000 X(TIMES) PURCHASE PRICE FROM PURCHASE AGREEMENT = AMOUNT DEDUCTED. I ALSO BELIEVE IF THEY RULE IT A LEMON YOU WOULD GET BACK ALL MONIES PAID. THEY CAN ALSO DEDUCT FOR DAMAGE TO VEHICLE, LIKE BROKEN WINDSHIELD OR OTHER DAMAGE VISIBLE AT HEARING AND TEST DRIVE. THEY MAY ALSO, AS PART OF BUY BACK, REQUIRE YOU TO FIX THE DAMAGE. THE MAIN THING FOR THE ONES TRYING FOR THE BUY BACK IS TO HANG IN THERE AND DON'T GIVE UP. THEY WILL TRY TO GET YOU UPSET AND MAD HOPING YOU WILL GIVE INTO THEM OR JUST GIVE UP AND QUIT THE BUY BACK PROCESS. DON'T GIVE UP!!! ALSO IF YOU'RE GOING INTO A HEARING BE PREPARED, HAVE MORE EVIDENCE THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL NEED. TOO MUCH IS BETTER THAN NOT ENOUGH. ALSO KEEP TRACK OF ALL YOUR PHONE CALLS TO THE DEALER, TO THE BBB AND ETC. BE SURE AND KEEP ALL REPAIR ORDERS BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED THEM IF THEY TRY TO MESS WITH YOU ABOUT THE NUMBER OF TIMES AND DAYS IN FOR REPAIRS. KEEP TRACK OF ANY TSB'S PERFORMED ON TRUCK, HAVE TSB # AND COPY OF BULLETIN IF POSSIBLE. YOU'LL NEED ALL EVIDENCE YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. THEY WILL ALSO SWITCH PERSONS YOU TALK TO AT THE CO. YOU'LL HAVE YOUR FIRST CONTACT PERSON WHO'LL TRY TO GET YOU TO GET IT REPAIRED AGAIN AND IF IT'S STILL NOT FIXED, LIKE IN MY CASE, THEY'LL CHANGE TO ANOTHER PERSON. THIS PERSON WILL MOST LIKELY BE THE REP. WHO WILL BE ON THE PHONE AT THE HEARING. THEY MAY ALSO HAVE AN AREA REP CONTACT YOU IN BETWEEN ALL THIS MESS. BE PREPARED AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
    I am pleased to say my ordeal is coming to an end. I took delivery on a 2001 Yukon today because I could not take a chance on another shaker truck.... After three months of pain, anxiety, education and frustration GM Bought Back my 99 Sierra! The first offer was $18,600, what we finally settled on was $22,400. They actually refunded everything I paid plus my after market bed liner. Whoever said persistence doesn't payoff is wrong. In emotion I am sure I spent another $24,000. Oh well, I am just glad it is almost over. The final paperwork should arrive next week. GM and my dealer agreed to let me go ahead and purchase the Yukon and get me out of the Shaker. I guess my point is, if you feel like you can take the heat, by all means go after them. It won't be easy but as we know, the trucks have a problem. And when you call GM on it, they don't have a leg to stand on. I believe the BBB is instrumental in getting the ball rolling. Then its up to you to be persistent with your dealer and anyone you can contact at GM. You will prevail if you really have a shakerado, cause they don't know how to fix them. Anyway, I plan to document the whole Buyback process on the web site as soon as the final paperwork is in next week.

GUIDING PRINCIPAL: REMEMBER THE SQEEKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE

Good Luck to Everyone,
    Clay
    congrats on the Yukon...what happened to the Tahoe? I guess you'll be joining Clifford Martin's group over at

2000 Yukons/Tahoes - Any Details? - X (Topic #3044)

Don't know if you've been following the topic but it's pretty interesting...Good luck with the Yukon and thanks for the posts and info you've provided.

Dean
    Did any of you have trade-ins on the shaking trucks? My Bill of Sale lists the sticker price for the truck, minus my trade-in allowance. Chevy is saying that part of the trade-in is the "value" they assessed my trade worth. The other is called over-allowance. They are trying to subtract the over-allowance from what is listed as the cost of the truck on the bill of sale. They pulled the trade-in and over-allowance numbers out of the air, I never saw it when I bought the truck. Those figures are supposed to be how they tracked the vehicles on their books.
    BBB - in my state they use the mileage when you open up the case with the BBB. Other states are drastically different. This really isn't coming into play yet, because Chevy is trying to settle with me outside of the BBB.
    You guys got any ideas?
    SOME POSTS ON TOPIC 2141 SAYS THAT GM SAID INFORMATION USED FROM WEBSITES WAS HEAR SAY. HOW ABOUT THE WEBSITE FOR THE NHTSA (NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION) WWW.NHSTA.DOT.GOV
    THIS IS ACTUAL COMPLAINTS LOGGED AGAINST 1999 AND 2000 MODEL SILVERADOS AND SIERRAS. AS OF AUGUST 16TH THERE WERE SOME 615 COMPLAINTS LOGGED AGAINST THESE VEHICLES. HANG IN THERE!!!1
    SHOULD BE WWW.NHTSA.DOT.GOV
    SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE...
    Congratulations on your ordeal coming to an end. I can certainly believe all the emotions that you went through for the past months. Did you have to buy another gm product for the settlement agreement or could you have taken the $22,400 in cash. What kind of price compared to invoice did you end up with on the Yukon. Best Wishes and Thanks, Bob
    Clay, do you have the number of the tsb for the steering wheel whine/squeal on the 00 1500 when turning only to the left. I think Dean said you had it, and I would like to read it, but this problem computer of mine will not access many webesites, including yours. I will appreciate the number of the tsb so I can give it to my dealer when I take my truck in about the problem. Thanks, Bob
    the TSB bob332 is referring to is to change the p/s gear and not the metering valve. I know someone posted that after the TSB for the rack, their p/s made noises on left turns....guess I'll go back and look...
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    It is true that GM will take the bill of sale and manipulate it to their benifit. I had a 99 bought back voluntarily per my dealerships request. They would only give me the price for my trade in based upon the bill of sale. Since I bought the new truck for about $900 below dealer invoice (advertized special of the week), I conceded on a lower price for my truck since it was only the difference in price I was concerned with. Since I had no trouble with the bank financing, they did not have to inflate the numbers to show more money being put down. I asked the GM rep who handled the negotiations about getting a fair market value for my truck and she said they could only go with the bill of sale numbers. BUT I asked her if they had inflated the values (MSRP on the new truck and higher value for my trade) on the bill of sale, would she have given me the price for my trade in, she said NO. They would have given my the fair market value. They are good at playing the cards in their favor. Maybe I should have fought a little more but at that point I didn't care any more.
    HE SAYS CHECKS ARE READY FOR THE BUY BACK OF MY 2000 SHAKEARADO. I AM TAKING MY TRUCK BACK TOMORROW. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE TRYING TO GET THEIR PROBLEMS FIXED OR TRYING FOR A BUY BACK. THIS WILL SURELY END ALL MY PROBLEMS.
    HANG IN THERE!!!
    Congrats...and Good Luck

Clay
    Clay, Thanks for the information. I'll check the postings that you identified for the tsb on the steering whine then turning to the left. Bob
    That should have been Dean. Sorry. Bob
    to GM. BBB decision is to award me with a replacement truck. I'll have to see what my options are if the replacement would happen to have the vibrations, can I request a different truck,or upgrade to a 4wd (pay the diff.)
  • ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    When GM bought back the 99 Silv I had, they gave me the option of exact replacement (value), or up grade. On the upgrade I either paided the difference (MSRP to MSRP) and kept the same note or refinanced the whole deal. Upgrades had to be calculated MSRP to MSRP. Also, you have to pay sales tax on the increase if you upgrade. From what I can remember, I don't think you have to pay the processing fees or tag and title over again. Check with them to be sure.
  • slamphereslamphere Member Posts: 10
    Does anybody know if the 4x4 or 3/4 ton have the same vibration problems?. Also I had the tsb fix and the problem is worse but not as bad as some other people. The service writer claimed that the fix is not completed yet. Why the hell am I driving the truck then? I know that the rack was changed and the control arms.

Steve
    Did the service writer say what still needs to be done? After the rack and the control arms, only things left is the p/s metering valve and alignment.

Dean
    sounds like time to get the BBB involved. Does your work order for the tsb mention what parts were replaced?
This discussion has been closed.