Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F250 - 5.4,V10 or Diesel?

bdcm1688bdcm1688 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Ford
I am looking at buying a 99 F250/4WD/Ext or Crew
cab and can't decide which engine to get. I would
use it to commute (70mi.RT) to work 98% of the time
but pull a 5000 lb. camper 4-5 times per year and
want to have enough power to do the job. I am
currently pulling it with a 95 suburban with a
350/3:43 rear end and it seems to be in a strain
compared to my friends who pull same size campers
much easier with F150 with 5.4's. Is the 5.4 enough
in a 250? Love the diesel but struggling a bit
with the noise and justification of the cost
difference for no more weight I pull and the
frequency of use. Also hearing horror stories about
V10 gas mileage. I would greatly appreciate any
feedback from owners. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Get the 5.4, if you ask me. Whether you get the Superduty or half ton, get the 3.73 rear end. it should pull fine. the Surburban was hurting because of the 3.42 rear end, its just too tall of a gear for a 6,000 lb vehicle--i used to have that combo. The 5.4 has great power and seems to be getting good mileage from reports on this BB ,though i haven't heard any first hand reports on it.

You'll never justify the cost of the diesel pulling only 5 times a year. as a daily commuter, the 5.4 should get only 1 or 2 mpg worse than the diesel.
  • bdcm1688bdcm1688 Member Posts: 3
    exactly the input I need. much appreciated. Do you know how to easily determine the rear end ratio for the 1/2 ton or 250. I know its in the VIN or another label somewhere but not sure. Some salespeople don't readily know and I would like to be able to get that info over the phone without me driving all over north GA.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    the 3:42 rear end is the problem why you think a 350 is not enough....a 3:73 would be best for commuting..although i would get a 4:10...or whatever Ford offers?....4:30?

Don't waste the $$$$ for 98% commuting on a diesel...unless that 2% towing was a lot more than 5K.

The Ford V-10 ain't much to write home about. Chevy's V-8 6.0 just about does the same thing.

Get the 5.4...maybe even a 1/2 ton?....although 3/4's make better commuters as well....as I know first hand. Almost 20K on the 00 Silverado 2500 and it has rode farr better than any 1/2 ton I ever had....especially on the highway.

Good Luck

- Tim
  • bdcm1688bdcm1688 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, Tim. Are you saying that the F250 may ride better than the 150 for commuting? I always thought the suspension on the 3/4 tons would be stiffer.
    i don't know Ford's specific engine codes. You might be able to look in the owner's manual and find the code corresponding with the rear ends. I know mine has it corresponding to engine, never looked for axle. Thats all I know to do...
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Tim is speaking of Chevy expierence. When considering Fords, the half-ton is a better ride empty than the Super-duty. You may want to consider a F-150 with the 5.4 and get the heavy tow/load suspension. It comes with stiffer suspension and larger raditor/brakes. It used to be the F-250LD which they discontinued last year.
  • redufo2redufo2 Member Posts: 13
    If you running 70 miles per day at 50 + mph you notice approx. 1-2 mpg difference with the 5.4 vs the 6.8 using the 3.73 gearing. I'm getting 14-15 mpg hwy at 50-65 mph unloaded with the V10 in a 4x4 sd cc w/auto trans and 3.73. The 5.4 will shine when in stop and go traffic and short 6 mile RT commute. I only get 11mpg +/- 1 mpg on an in town stop and go 6 mile RT commute (the V10 eats alot at idle when compared to a V8). The truck pulls like hell when at 4500 rpm but can suck a 25 gallon tank dry in less than 200 miles.

5.4 with 3.73 or 4.10 if you can still get Ford to put it in is my best fit for under 3 tons. Over 3 tons the bigger motor will make you smile a little more when towing. Over 5 tons look at the V10 with 4.30 or the diesel with 4.10 or 3.73.

good luck

EEE
  • fbroomfbroom Member Posts: 29
    Your original post indicated you were looking for a 99 SD. Given the weight trailer you're looking at pulling the low frequency of pulls, I agree that a diesel would be overkill and hard to justify cost wise. Personally, I would stay away from the 99 vintage V10. I've read numerous posts regarding piston slap problems with this engine, which can lead to high oil usage and ultimately premature engine failure. Sometime during the production year, Ford corrected this problem but I don't know when. That leaves the 5.4. It's a solid engine, but keep in mind that the Super Duty weighs about 1000 lbs more (empty) than the F150. Personally, I would go with the 4.10 or 4.30 gearing to keep acceleration acceptable. But again, that's a matter of personal preference. As far as me, I have a 00 F250 SD SC, V10, Auto, 4X2, 3.73 LS. It's an awesome truck and I average 14-15 mpg empty on daily commutes to work (25 miles one way, mostly flat roads). I only have 2500 miles on the truck to date so I can't speak of long term durability. But the power is tremendous. It has gobs more torque and Hp than the 5.4 and also has better power than its 1999 brother. I traded 1-2 mgg for the power by choosing the V10 over the V8. On top of that the problems from the 1999 model year have been corrected in the 2000 model. Also, be aware that the early 99 model SuperDuty had a problem with brake life and the rotors and calipers were enlarged midway during the production year to correct the problem. If it were me, I'd hold out for a 2000 model V10. But if you can't wait, I'd go with a late 1999 5.4 model.
  • bohunterbohunter Member Posts: 2
    I too am looking at a F-250 4x4 sc sb. As of right now I'm leaning torwards the v-8 with 4.10 rear. Has anyone considered the aftermarket accessories to boost performance and gas mileage? One add stated a gain in 50hp, 60 ft-lb, and 25% gas mileage with installation of chip, exhaust and air filter. any feedback?
  • psmith13psmith13 Member Posts: 32
    All personal preference, but here's my 2 cents.
    I have a '00 SD,F350,4X4,CC,LWB,Lariat,V10,Auto,4.30,ESOF and love it. I have just over 7,000 miles with no problems. I have a couple of friends with the V8 and they beat me on gas mileage by about 1, and that could be my driving habits. I get about 14 hwy and 11 to 12 mixed. If you are planning to pull anything the V10 sure makes it nice. It may use a little more gas pulling but that's only a few times a year and you'll be smiling all the way as you pass the other folks on the hills. The F350 has a little stiffer ride than the F250 but the Crew Cab helps out not to mention all the extra room inside.

I upgraded my truck with a 6" lift and 38" tires. The books say I should run 4.86 gears but the V10 does great as is.

www.picturetrail.com/psmith13

My opinion that's all :) Luv my SD
  • rrichfrrichf Member Posts: 211
    Here is my $0.02.

In my '99 F-250 Super Duty, Super Cab, Long Wheel base, auto trans, 3.73 LS and diesel the mileage is in the high 16's to low 17's in the Los Angeles freeway stop and stop traffic. I've got over 41K miles on it. I've taken the truck from Huntington Beach to Reno usually running 65 to 75 MPH on highway 395 and got 19 MPG. (Enough with the economy stuff.)

The diesel is easier to drive in traffic because it free wheels easier (less engine breaking) which makes the stop and stop more tollerable. The ride is better than my older '92 F-250 but it's not car like. I've added velvet shackles and edlebrock shocks and the ride is very good, for a truck. (But it's still a truck.)

I really don't notice the engine noise as I run the A/C almost all the time.

I am biased because I just like driving a diesel.

If you're spending an hour plus daily in your commute, get the thing that is going to give you the most comfort and convienence for that time. If you arrive home relaxed because you're not fighting the vehicle it really helps relationships.

Rich
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    First to Tim...the V-10 about the same as Chevy 6.0. NOT!!!!!!

I own 99,F250,sc,V10,4x4,3.73 gears.
    My brother owns 99,Silverado,2500,4x4,6.0L.
    We both pulled a tractor/truck pull. I finished 4th (behind 2 F350's and 1 supercharched Dodge).
    I pulled about 230' and all 4 wheels were slinging dirt. My brother powered (whimpered) out at about 168'. By the way both trucks were stock.

About pulling 5000 lbs...
    My previous truck (92,F150,4x4,5.8,200HP,
    300lb ft,3.55 gears) had trouble pulling my 27', 7000lb camper. The new 5.4L has around 240 HP & more torque too. If you really only weigh in at 5000 lbs then you will be fine with F150.

If you think about getting anything above that I'd go with the F250,V10,3.73 gears. Compared to the F250,5.4L,4.10 gears the gas mileage will be not worth mentioning.

As for ride, no comparison!!!
    The F150 has the twin arms.
    The F250 has a solid axle.
    My wife and two children wish I had a truck that rode as good as the last one. But I love it & it gets the job done...PERIOD.
  • jojo55jojo55 Member Posts: 2
    I am going to purchase a ford truck for commuting to work and to pull a camper trailer (when I buy one) maybe 6-10 times a year. I have preferred the F150 with 5.4 engine. But I understand this may not be enough to pull a 24 to 30 foot trailer. I am now considering F250's. But again that problem of deciding whether to buy a diesel or gas engine looms. I would plan to keep the diesel for as many years as it will hold up!!! My 89 olds calais has 150k miles on it and is still going strong because of careful maintenance. I must have spent at least $4,000 over the years maintaining it.
    My questions:
    1. What could you expect to safely pull with the F150?
    2. If a F250 is the best route, and I plan to keep it for as many years as it will hold up (with proper maintenance of course), would this justify buying a diesel (ford powerstroke) vs. a gas engine? Would this be cost effective, because I understand problems with injectors etc.in later years can be very expensive?
    3. In general, what would justify buying a diesel over the gas engine?

Thanks very much for the input.

Jojo
    about 5,000 lbs is all I would regularly haul with a half ton. It will do up to 7500 probably, but you have no room for extra.

unless you drive 50-60K miles per year, you will NEVER cost justify the diesel. But it pulls better and gets slightly better mileage. longevity with gas is about the same, in my experience. maintenance will be more expensive with the diesel, even if nothing ever goes wrong. Fords have never been good on glowplug and small electronics.

you can't justify it with just money.

But if you really love the way it drives and pulls, and the macho sound, then thats the justification you have right there.
  • lockshoplockshop Member Posts: 5
    jojo55,

I own a 97 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4 3.55 ext cab sb. 4x4 with 17" tires, extra are not much but help, k&n filter and flowmaster muffler. I pull a 27' Wildwood with no problem at all. My friend has 94 F150 5.0 and pulls a 22 ft sunline (light) and I pull away from him on hills with no problems. Hope it helps
  • jojo55jojo55 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Cdean and lockshop,

Thanks very much for the responses. cdean, I was hoping to hear from you. You seem very knowledgeable in the area of trucks and what can be pulled with a particular truck. Lockshop, I also wanted to hear from someone who has the 5.4 engine.

Jojo
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    I didn't think the new Powerstroke's had glow plug's??? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Great combo.

I have a 2001 manual 6.0L CC 4.10 on order.

We expect to see similiar performance and fuel economy.

I'd recommend either.

Drove a '89 diesel for 175k. No way would I buy another diesel as a short daily driver, particularly since I live at 7,000' elevation with cold winters.....
  • dbrandon2dbrandon2 Member Posts: 1
    I just pulled my mustang from Chico, California
    too Jackson, Tennessee. There is no other diesel
    Chevy or Dodge that will out pull it. The guys
    on this page that say Ford diesel's suck don't
    know what they're talking about.
    How many miles got on that Powerstroke?
    my '89 diesel was a Ford non-turbo......

Same basic bottom end as a powerstroke. Engine was basically worn out after 175k miles, even with oil and filter changes every 2,500 miles.

As daily drivers, going short distances, I have my doubts that a diesel will go as far (and certainly not as cheaply) as a gas motor.
  • jtc44jtc44 Member Posts: 2
    I have 293,000 miles on my 1983 F-250 6.9 diesel.
    Went to test drive a new 2000 7.3 turbo. Was disappointed in the acceleration compared to my 6.9 4 speed. Got 20+ mpg new, now about 18mpg after all those miles. I'm wondering how many more miles I can get on this engine. Like the bunny it just keeps going. Oil changes every 5,000 miles; changed injectors at 210,000 for no particular reason. All highway miles. Was wondering if trading in is a step down. Also in the test drive I seemed to hear the high pitched
    wine of the turbo on acceleration. Is that normal? Any thoughts?
    Yes, turbo whine is normal.

Very surprised that your 6.9 will out run anything! much less a 2000 Powerstroke!

6.9 is a very durable engine. I know a fellow with well over 300K on his...his odometer quit working, but the engine and the truck keep on chugging along.

Hard to say how long it will last. You are at the point where you can pretty much expect something to give at anypoint. I have seen several diesels just poop out around 250K or sooner.
  • engfarmengfarm Member Posts: 8
    I have a friend whos job is hauling trailers back and forth between Grand Rapids Michigan and California. He has a 98 ford 350-SD with the power stroke diesel, and he already has 270000 miles on it. He takes it into the dealer once a week for an oil change, and other than that, he has had no trouble with the engine or the truck except for a torn belt at 225000, and he has had to replace the brakes a couple of times.

IMHO the super-dutys are the best trucks on the market. I own a bobcat service company, and have been looking for a truck that will pull my bobcat. (when loaded down with the bobcat and auger, the trailer tips the scales at just over 10000 pounds) I've tested a new Dodge 3500 V-10, a 3500 - Cummins, a Ford SD 350 V-10, and a Ford SD 350 with the stroker, all pulling my trailer.
    As far as power goes, the SD with the Power stroke wins hands down. No other truck could match it hauling uphill, passing, etc. The cummins came pretty close, but always had to downshift one extra gear when hauling up a grade. The V-10s might have been a little quicker off the line, but I'd give that up for the torque that the diesels had. Not to mention the fuel economy.
    I have ordered a Super Duty F-350 Lariat, Super cab, 4x4, LB, Power Stroke, and am expecting delivery any time.
    -Ken
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    I don't think there's any doubt that the diesel is best for you with the weight you tow more then not or for someone who puts on 135000 miles a year.
    My question to you is for the average Joe who tows 7000+- pounds puts on maybe 10000 miles a year would you still justify the higher expense, less quickness, more maintenance, smellier, louder diesel?
    modvptnl,
    There is one other justification. I like the diesel, I like the powerstroke, I like the Ford.

Until you use one as a daily driver, you probably just won't understand the nuts like me.

Rich
    People don't need Corvettes, but they buy them. They don't need Mustangs, but they buy them.

Just cuz you don't need a diesel, doesn't mean you can't buy one. Rich is a perfect example!
    who still buy diesels even if they won't really work them. You can't beat a diesel for gas mileage, and hopefully, there won't be any extra maintenance. The oil change ratio of a diesel is 2-1 for gas, so you're not really putting that much more money into the diesel for maintenance.

Everyone has their preferences, I like diesels. I bet that once you get behind the wheel of one, you probably won't want to switch back to gas.

I agree with rich - until you drive one on a daily basis, you'll never truly appreciate a diesel engine, or understand us diesel nuts. :)

-Ken
    Not for me. I used to drive diesel all the time. i want gasoline. my gasoline engine jumps off the line, and, in passing gear, can run circles around a diesel. It tows all my hauling needs no prob. I like the quieter sound. i get about 2 mpg less, and kept $4000 in my pocket from initial costs. thats just me.

I guess i've seen so much diesels, i'm happy to be w/o one! But I do know all the reasons you guys love the diesels...I hang around w/ plenty diesel nuts!
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Gosh....In the middle of this debate, I have one question: Where is Dodgeram7? I would think his insight to trucks would be valuable here!

Must be studying for that first Pre-Algebra test....Hmmmm ;)
  • idahoanidahoan Member Posts: 12
    As of now the diesel in my 00 F350 4X4 CC SRW 3.73LS has made me a happy camper. My last truck was a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 Xcab 4X4 318(5.2) which sucked gas like crazy, 11-12 mpg on average with about 76,000 miles when I traded it in. The diesel is getting about 18.5 mpg with around 14,000 miles. It does ok off of the line, but I'm not racing it either. I use it for my daily commute to work and back(50mi.) with the intention of replacing my 31ft trailer with a slide-in in the future, which is why I opted for the 350 over the 250 for the extra couple of dollars. My wife didn't give me any grief when the gas prices were $2.08 for gas and $1.45 for diesel around us for a while, like she had done when I first wanted to get the diesel rather than a V10 for gas mileage.
    I'll admit I will never understand the attraction and I have driven them back to back.

Engfarm, I can't debate personal preference but I will disagree on the maintenance. You've got double the oil capacity 2-3x's the expense for filters and the water separator PLUS changes more often.

Cdean, I agree, the larger gas motors just "feel" better to me.
  • iefproiefpro Member Posts: 3
    I have had a F250 7.3 power stroke for about 1.5 years now. Love the brute power of the power stroke, actually I think the take off is fairly impressive for the size.

As for Maintenance, it is true that each oil change is expensive, costing approx. 3 to 4 times what it costs for a gas engine. But of course that is halved by the fact that gas requires it more often... But I think that is much offset by the longevity of the engine and the fuel savings.

I have worked around diesel engines all my life, I am an owner operator of a large truck, a Kenworth. With the correct maintenance they can last for ever. One of the things I will point out that we large diesel owners do, that does not seem to be done on the smaller ones is, Change your coolant every two years or so. The coolant will gather acids and will break down the engine walls. You will suddenly discover soap suds in your coolant when trouble appears... This is evidence of oil beginning to show up in the coolant.

By the way, I hate the telescoping mirrors, they should be able to retract. I have replaced the left one twice now.... Can't replace just a small piece of them either it's all or nothing....
    I thought diesels require more frequent oil changes??????? Even though I do mine every 3-5000 miles using synthetics I think the recommended oil change on the gas motors is 7500 miles. What's the diesel's recommended interval.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I dont know about the power stroke but I have a 24v Cummins and the recommended intervals between oil changes are 7500 miles for light duty 5000 miles for med duty and 3000 miles for hard towing or extremely dirty roads. I change my oil every 3000-5000 miles using delo 400 semi synthetic oil.
    Sounds like the same recommendations as the gas motor to me. It also sounds like a lot of people change oil more then required. Cheap peace of mind.
  • russjwrussjw Member Posts: 7
    I've read this board off and on and am SURE one (or more) of you can answer my question please. Last year I bought a 99' 4x4 F150, 3:73,5.4L and absolutely love it. However, we've decided to retire and full-time RV next year. I'm pretty sure we are going to be pulling an approx. 30ft fifth wheeler that will GVWR at about 14,500lbs. Of course neither Ford nor the RV salespeople ever have the correct info on what will pull what, so I'm turning to the real pro's (you guys). I've obviously got to sell my F150 (with 8500 mi.) Boo Hoo and get something that I can reliably tow that big RV with. I really have no desire to own a deisel. Do you think I need a dually? I hate the thought of 12 tires ( 6 on each vehicle) but I'll do what I have to. Will a F250 HD with a V10 and a 3:73 rear end do it with reasonable ease or what do you guys suggest? Thanks a lot. I REALLY appreciate your answers...Russ
  • vanfoswevanfoswe Member Posts: 1
    I'll preface this by the following statement:
    I do not profess to be a diesel expert and none of what is reported comes from first hand knowledge. In fact I'll be a diesel virgin...

I've recently ordered a '01 F350 CC 4wd SRW Lariat PS and trading in a '99 F250 SC 4wd Lariat V10. The reason for the trade is 2 fold: kids aren't comfortable in the rear of the SC (leg room), V10 MPG/range. The pulling power of the V10 was adequate (3.73) but even moderately steep hills caused pesky downshifts.
    Prior to selecting the diesel I did considerable research (internet, acquaintances, contacting engine manufacturers) regarding durability. In addition to towing, I use my truck to travel to work (6 miles - 1 way) and for short trips and I was concerned regarding the reprted wear on the diesel caused by short trips and the corresponding costly maintenance. My first question regarded as to why short trips would be "harder" (mythical or not) on a diesel than a gas engine. Nobody has provided concrete information or data as to why this might be true. Another issue I can't quite get squared away is that diesels are MUCH more prevalent in Europe than in the US and there is no fundamental issue with diesel durability as compared to gas. This of course assumes that the basic design methodologies are the same.

As best I can tell the major maintenance "issues" with a diesel as compared to gas are:
    1) Frequent oil changes - why? the oil is used to cool the turbo bearings and gets contaminated at a faster rate (see #2)
    2) Fuel filter - diesel fuel by nature is dirty
    3) Engine coolant in regards to engine cylinder wall pitting corrosion - the energy release is significantly higher and longer causing higher vibrations in the block resulting in pitting corrosion with inadequate corrosion barriers

Through proper maintenance all of these "issues" can be managed.

My question to the experts in the audience is: why do short trips damage a diesel more than a gas engine? and what are the, pardon the phrase, "Top 10" maintenance "differences" regarding a diesel as compared to a gas engine?
    vanfoswe,
    The only thing that I noticed with short trips (Less than 3 miles one way to work.) in a diesel (6.9L) was that mileage went down about 15%.

A far as maintenance goes. I change the oil on my PSD about every 5K. I use 15-40 from WalMart. (It's Q-State and meets API specs.) Every 15K I check the coolant for the need for anti-cavitation additive (a.k.a. Fleet Guard or FW- something like 16 or 17) and change the fuel filter. The fuel filters can be had on the web inexpensively as can the FW-whatever.

The nice thing about diesel maintenance is that it can be done at home. (It ain't brain surgery or rocket science.) The big maintenance of oil, lube filter, cavitation fluid and fuel filter takes me an hour to 90 minutes. And it's a h--- of a lot more exercise than clicking the remote.

Rich
  • rinkmillrinkmill Member Posts: 1
    I am contemplating buying a 2001 F250 4WD CC Diesel with a utility bed from Royal out of Cal. I am a engineer that normally hauls around 1500 lbs. of equipment and travels about 35000 miles a year around Arkansas.I also from time to time deliver freight for a local trucking company on weekends.I also hunt from Nov. til Jan. is why I'm looking at the 4WD.My question is this.....is this truck overkill for my situation. I've heard fuel mileage is as good if not better than gas and the powerstroke is very durable (300k/miles)??
    The one kicker is of course maintenance...I know that the oil,filter and fuel filter needs changed about every 3k miles. I have found one local dealer that will give free lifetime oil changes for as long as I own the truck.Any and all advise appreciated...
  • jzarlijzarli Member Posts: 7
    Russ, if you are looking for anecdotal tales, I can tell you about my neighbor who pulled a trailer that size home with a Dodge minivan. Nevertheless, as you are retired, I'd suggest watching a few hours of daytime TV, note all those sleazeball lawyer ads & peruse your warranty & insurance documentation. I don't think even F350 or >ANY< LD trucks are rated that high. (V10 F350 dually is close) Sounds like you need to look at a Freightliner, or checkout many of the newer lighter weight trailers. I know folks who got eaten alive in court for overweight in an accident. Not worth it.
    If the trailer of yours weigs over 14000 pounds, don't even look at a F-250 or 350 to pull it. I don't know why someone hasn't suggested this already, but what you'll need to get is a F-450 or 550 super duty dually. (I would definately not try to pull something that heavy on single rear tires.) Both the trucks are rated for over that weight. The bad part is that neither can be ordered with a box like the 250-350. You'll have to go with a flatbed. If you really want to pull that trailer around, these are basically the only trucks that will do it short of getting a freightliner. I wouldn't even bother looking at the GMs or Dodges.

I really recommend going with a diesel engine - the main reasons are obvious - more power, better fuel economy, and more durable. A V-10 would still pull your trailer, but you'll get shi_ for gas mileage.

I have a close friend who recently bought a 1990 Jayco fifth-wheel that tips the scales at just over 14200 pounds. He uses a 1999 F-550 dually, diesel, flatbed to pull it and he loves it. Says he hasn't had any problems with it.

I hope that this has been a help to you.
    -Ken
  • allworkallwork Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a new f250 supercab ,I do very little towing and would like to have info on the mpg of the V8 and V10. I hear conflicting stories on the V10 I need your help thanks
    rinkmill,
    I don't know of any reason to change the fuel filter every 3K miles. Every 15K is more like it, per Ford recommendations.

IMHO, every 3K is over kill for oil changes too. Every 5K is sufficient for just about every type of driving except city delivery. (The engine is left idling at each stop.) I KNOW that I'm leaving myself wide open on the 5K bit; but oh well.

Rich
  • fordtuffordtuf Member Posts: 101
    As for the 5K oil changes...
    I totally agree, been doing it for 14 years. 1st truck had over 180K miles, 2nd truck only 94K, new truck only 18K (99 F250,V10,4X4,sc). I live in Atlanta and do a lot of city driving, never a problem and never used any oil.

V10 gas mileage w/3.73 gears and a heavy foot...
    City..............................12-13mpg
    Highway empty(75-80mph)...........15-16mpg
    Highway 7400lb 27' TT(70-75mph)....9-10mpg

Towing 14,000 lbs....
    Go with the medium duty truck!!!
    Get a hold of a Coast-To-Coast camping magazine or something like it. It has great sources for finding the Freightliners and other trucks. They cost more up front but can last for 300K miles and more.

Power to pull is great, and you can always add on more power to a light duty. Its very hard to add on more stopping power and control.
  • bclowardbcloward Member Posts: 1
    Lots of good info here, thanks guys. A couple questions, Rich or whoever. I understand for my '89 F250 7.3 diesel I am supposed to add 2 pints of FW-15. Can I get something comparable to the Ford stuff at Walmart or Checker or the web or somewhere? Cost?

I am also looking for a newer truck, mostly because I need 4x4. Will a '93 351, or a newer 5.4 in an F250 handle a 21' camp trailer? I don't know the weight, but it's older ('73 Invader) and fairly heavy. My '89 diesel 5 sp. barely handles it on hills.

Let me know if you see a deal on a '95 or newer CCab or Scab Pstroke in the Utah area.

Thanks,
    Bernie
    bcloward,
    I ordered my FW-16 from these folks. The cost for 6 bottles and shipping was about what the dealer charged for one and a half or two. (*&*(&^^&$ dealer parts departments! They carry about everything that you need for the truck. I think that I got 6 FW-16, cavitation test kit, 6 fuel filters, K & N element and cleaning/recharge stuff all for $150. (I think. The info is not at hand right now.) They always seem to have deals on something. My order was delayed for the K & N but they called to let me know the status. For the prices, I can be very patient.

www.dieselpage.com

Rich
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I am currently contemplating on buying a fifth wheel too, a 36 foot Montana. The king pin weight is 2100 lbs, the trailer weight, wet, is 14100 lbs. For my money I am looking at the new Duramax Diesel with the Allison Transmission. This new heavy duty truck is rated at a GCVW of 22000 lbs. Your hitch weight will help you decide for either a 2500 HD or 3500 dually. Both max out at 22000 GCVW. If you want a gasser, you can opt for the new 8.1 engine with the Allison tranny. This combo will handle 22000 lbs too. However your mileage will be in the single digits.
  • fordnewbie1fordnewbie1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 99 F250SD 4x4 SC LWB. It has the 5.4L engine w/24K on it. Should I hold out for another used on that has the V10? I do not haul any thing over 3000lbs, but I do travel through the mountains of NC from time to time and like to move above a snails pace. This is my only reservation, otherwise it is a perfect truck condition wise. Also, what is a good aftermarket exhaust? Borla, Flowmaster,,??
    Thanks in advance,,,
  • belljobelljo Member Posts: 15
    Currently driving 1000 miles weekly, all driving at 5 to 8k mountain range, some hauling. Currently considering F250 4WD SC SB, in your opinion will it last? what other 4WD would hold up for 3 yrs??
This discussion has been closed.