Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Z71 - You like it or you hate it. WHY? You all asked for it so here it is brought to you by Ryan

ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
What does it mean to you???

Comments

• steveeaststeveeast Member Posts: 158
    you have too much time on your hands!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Hey buddy how bout some happy thoughts.

haha yea i have to much time on my hands. Im on lunch and RED awhile back said i should make one. So i made a topic with the word Z71 and a long title as long as it would allow. SOrry JEEZ if you dont like it don come in here

Ryan
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    an overpriced option that creates a lot of discussion. but i still like it, besides the fact i own one. overall pleased, but i am coming to the conclusion (as with most in the silverado forum) that the OEM Tenneco's do suck. looking to put on bilsteins at the recommendation of kyle.
    pat
    In some ways yes. $365 wasnt bad considering my truck was $33K msrp. I am also thinking of changing the shocks. Ill probably do it end of august if i do. Maybe bigger tires too.

Ryan
  • mrurlmrurl Member Posts: 116
    I'm not interested in advertizing my suspension choice on my truck. If I had a Z71 I would have had the dealer take the stickers off.

Peter
    Well why didnt you buy a Z71??? Did you get a regular 4x4?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    To me Z71 is a great moneymaker for GM. They charge $365 and probably only put $50-100 into the option. Great profit margin.

And what do you get for the $365?

- Skid Plates - Available for $95 (GM cost ~ $40)
    - Decals - Available for $20 (GM cost ~ $5)
    - Shocks - You're going to replace them anyway (GM cost ~ $20 above standard shocks)
    - Hi Capacity Air Cleaner - A $25 option (GM cost ~$5 more)
    - Stabilizers and Jounce bumpers - All trucks have them

So what did you get for $365? I know it is not much money to you, but it is to me. You could save money by ordering the individual options and sticking on the decals. Ah, you couldn't say you have a Z71, could you?

And I did buy a 'regular' 4x4 with the Skid Plates, High Capacity Air Cleaner and I bought Bilstein Shocks for it. $20 for Z71 stickers and I'm done.

Mike L
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    1. i'm into charities, and gm is one of mine.
    2. i think the stickers look cool.
    3. i AM into advertising my suspension on the side of my truck. in fact, i'm currently looking for the following additional stickers (please advise if you can tell me where to get them):
    E24 - fourth door
    E63 - fleetside body
    C7H - GVWR
    FE9 - federal emissions
    LM7 - 5.3L motor
    M30 - tranny
    GT4 - axle
    1SB - PEG
    QGD - tires (worth the extra $125 for the owl)
    A95 - seats
    ZY2 - two tone paint
    T96 - fog lamps
    AJ1 - window tinting
    DF5 - ISRV mirror
    Z82 - HD trailer pkg
    NP8 - Autotrac

LOL

kyle
    To be like all those tundra guys my respone is resale value haha. I guess it was a "Status" thing. Come on who ever says look at that 4x4? All i ever hear is woah check out that Z71. haha Im young and i had the $$$ why not spend it i am losing money letting my money sit in the bank anyways.

Ryan
    Just put the Z71 stickers on it. Do you think any salesman is going to know the difference? Here on Edmunds we've talked about how little salesman and the average customer know.

How could you tell (without opening the glove box door) if a truck was a Z71 or somebody just put the stickers on it? You couldn't tell, and neither could the salesman giving you a trade-in value. Nor could any potential buyer. At least they couldn't tell if you had put the Bilsteins on it.

Mike L
    It was a joke.

Ryan
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    If you don't like Z71...

Hardly any difference in ride compared to Z85 firm ride.

Why so similar? Because neither truck, in 4x4 trim has coil SPRINGS up front...just torsion bars. And not much suspension travel. So if you don't like the ride, it's not going to get much better putting wimpy shocks on.

When you carry a big payload, the 46 mm shocks feel good to me, because they control the motions. I like firm rides, not bouncy trucks.

As for the stickers....I'd like to see Kyle's truck when he gets the rest of them put on. Yall 'be green with envy!
    As for the price of Z71...of course it's a waste, but so are half the things people slap on, nerf bars, boom boxes, billet grills.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    to me it means you weren't man enough to get a 2500....(well..you asked)heheh

Oh no..but I have a 4x4 sticker...not a Z71...how will I ever live?...easy..with the better suspension/axles/brakes/engine/frame and ride I get with a 2500.

Z71 is a hype...and it seems to work..so much so that people call it a Z71 instead of a Silverado. When you ask people ..why did you get it?...they tell you.."Cuz I go off road".....OK..what does it offer?....uhh..."off road stuff"......

Even babs who didn't know what it all included at first had to have it...to go off roading...(which he hasn't done..nor will he)....

Ryan,...I think you are feeling like you need to start more posts...and feel they are your own baby...ever since I was in control of a discussion site?...LOL

I gotta take my hostility elsewhere tonight...

yawl have fun

- Tim
    I got it, Z71 because it was in stock. Just like 2500 LT's at my dealership...in stock...noooo waiting...noooo gas mileage....noooo buyers.
    to worry about gas mileage.

...or a Sticker for that matter

- Tim
    what did I miss?

send it to me personaly Quad...

- Tim
    I(t) just said if you buy my gas, I will send you my Z71 stickers. Then I decided I'd rather keep the stickers and buy my own gas. Z71 membership, has its privileges you know.
    I scribbled it myself. Don't blame Front Porch Philosopher. Just thought it was stupid.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you got that right....

for more intelligent conversations.....come here!

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/

(check out the new header too)

- Tim
    I didnt buy the Z71 pkg thinking that i could go offroading anywherei know its just a sticker and all hype. And yes i plan to do a little bit probably some trials this labor day weekend. My girlfriend keeps asking me when we are gonna go. She wants to go more than i do i think.

Ryan
    a conversation someplace where you said you NEED the Z71 package...

who cares..it's here now.

Maybe she justs wants to get you back in the woods?

- Tim
    I needed it??? No i wanted it. I needed 4x4

Yea she probably does wanna get me out there. OOOOO Sounds like fun. Labor day weekend can not come any faster i am counting the days down woohoo
    haha

Ryan
    The mileage isn't that bad on a 2500. I was expecting much worse, but what I got was only 10% worse than my 4.8L 99:

99 4.8L 5spd 3.73 w/camper 24967 miles ave:15.4mpg

00 6.0L 5spd 3.73 w/camper 8432 miles ave:14.0mpg

I actually can't complain about the fuel economy of the big engine. Now, my buddy with a Dodge Dakota 5.2L, he can complain about mileage.

Mike L
    sounds like Ric Flair... ;)

Dean
    Ric Flair is just....Whooooo!

- Tim
    just whoooooooooo!!! Wonder when he's going to retire? He used to wrestle Dusty Rhodes who retired what 4-5 years ago...man just like the Hulkster. Think Flair must be pushin 50 by now. My $.02...and no...I'm not a rasslin fan even tho it goes great with beer...LOL

Dean
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I know this is a little off the topic, but I'm going to ask anyway.
    For those of you who have owned both compact trucks as well as full size trucks, which do you like better and why? I'm trying to decide which is better for me.
    I CAN ANSWER THIS one from firsthand experience. Opps sorry bout the caps

I got my silverado end of april. before this i have an S-10 which was a very nice truck. It had its limits. It was a 2wd and i know have a 4wd. I had the S-10 stuck a few times in snow havent had the silverado in snow yet but im sure it wont get stuck. I like the bigger truck for a simple fact of the roomier cab. I am 6'3 175 and the S-10 was kinda cramped especially on long journies. I have yet to be uncomfortable in the silverado. The silverado also hauls building materials (wood drywall cement i have hauled all these things in both trucks) much easier.

The silverado is above and beyond the S-10 thats my opinion

Ryan
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    No matter how many opinions you get from us, eventually you need to sit down and ask yourself, what is important to me in a truck, what am I going to use the truck for right now, and what could I be using the truck for in the future?

Keep in mind that if you do go for the compact truck, it will always "do" less than the full size truck will when it comes to room for hauling people in the front or materials in the back. And based on the engine/transmission/axle, it should have more horsepower and torque for towing.
    However, the compact should be better if you are concerned about gas mileage, maneuverability/parking, and maybe insurance.

Bottom line...don't sell yourself short for possible future demands you will require of your truck.

Ok Tim, you can post your sales pitch for the 2500 w/ 6.0L now.

-David
    ...i think you just did?

- Tim

(It is a better ride for me though)

- Tim
    get both...one for light haulin...Nissan...one for drivin...Chevy...that's about all folks.

Dean
  • idahodanidahodan Member Posts: 12
    Ok, flatlanders, since the Z71 seems to be getting a bad rep, the reason SOME of us buy the Z71 is the skid plates. I've peeled back pumpkin covers and dropped all my gear lube while climbing a hill, and it's not fun. If a couple hundred bucks keeps that from happening, I'll spend it. I've also center-posted trucks before, and I'd rather center-post on a skid plate under the transfer case than sit it on the transfer case itself.

Yeah, alot of you asphalt cowboys like the stickers and the "off-road" designation, but I got 2 miles of uphill dirt road to get home and I'm damn glad Chevy sells a good limited-slip diff (locker??) for a few hundred and the Z71 package. If they didn't, I mighta screwed up and bought a Ford or (shudder) a Dodge.

Oh, and as for you 2500 lovers out there, yeah, if gas was a buck a gallon, I woulda got one. But it's 30 miles to town, and even though I gotta haul wood & gravel every season, I don't wanna blow 3 gallons of fuel to get to town like I would in a 2500.

By the way, only women drive Tundras in Idaho.
    SKid plates are available as an option for like $85 (?) with just a regular 4x4 you dont need the Z71 pkg to get em. Personally i like the sticker haha.

Ryan

Idahodan seems that in indiana women also are only ones who drive tundras. Seen a total of 3 tundras today all were driven by women
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Even though I will drive my new Z-71 95% of the time on asphalt, the other 5% will be out in the Cascade Mountains with my father-in-law getting to our favorite hunting spot, or favorite camping spot, or favorite snowmobiling spot. It is nice to have the insurance of the Z71 package (that and a winch too) to help me get into and out of those tough spots.

When my father-in-law drives on these trips, we take his Ford 3/4 ton. Not only is the gas mileage terrible, but the ride and leg room is pathetic.

A real man should be too embarrassed to drive a Tundra.

idahodan,
    Where abouts in Idaho do you live, and have you ever dealt with Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg?

-David
    Like Ryan said, you can order the skid plates on a standard 4x4. Anyway, the Z71 doesn't give any protection for the rear end.

As for the 2500, I've been pleasantly suprised by the mileage on mine. With a total load of 2000lbs (small popup camper), my 1500 (4.8L 5spd) averaged 15.5 mpg and with the same load my 2500 (6.0L 5spd) averages 14 mpg. Without the camper I fully expect 17-18 mpg on the 2500. I was expecting 10-11 mpg, but was overjoyed to find the truck has such good economy.

Mike L
    Hey, I sure hope the fires are not near you. If they are near you, we hope you come through without damage.

Mike L
  • idahodanidahodan Member Posts: 12
    DCH0300 & mledtje, I'm in the hills a couple dozen miles north of Boise. I haven't dealt with Dave Smith in Kellogg, but alot of guys here do, especially for Dodge trucks. I was able to get my Z71 for $100 over invoice, so I can't complain about the cost (except $29,000 for a g--damned TRUCK is ridiculous).

We've had fires in the area, within 50 or so miles anyway, sometimes see/smell smoke, but that's it. Every summer everyone up here gets nervous about the fires & lightning; this season's real bad though.

HEY TIRES!! What kind of tires did you get on your Z71 and how do you like 'em?
    I got the P265 WOL Firestone AT's ($365 option). They are alright not the best. One complaint is small stones get stuck between the treads and at highway speeds like to shoot out. I might change em out in a yr and go with BFG or Michelin.

Ryan
    Unles you are getting a 4wd for looks, I'd suggest you get the LT tires. P-series tires don't belong on an off-road truck. The LT tires are much stronger and puncture resistant. If you really want bigger tires, get the cheapest on the truck and change them out after you get the truck. $365 will almost buy a set of new tires, plus some independent shops will give you a couple of hundred dollars for your 'new' takeoff tires.

Mike L
    Firestone Steeltex are fine.....no probs with them....it's not all Firestones that are bad....kinda like the pinto....does that mean all Ford stinks?

- Tim
    after exchanging the Firestone Firehawks off the Denali and replacing with Michelins...it's like a whole different truck. Handling and ride improved to the point where it's like driving a truck instead of a garbage truck...
  • zonk1zonk1 Member Posts: 37
    I have the 265-75 Wilderness AT's on my '99. 24K miles and they "look" fine. I am a little nervous on the hiway even though Firestone says they are not affected. It makes you pay closer attention to your driving. That in itself is not a bad thing. The dealer I bought my truck from goes thru 2 trucks a year. No matter what tires come on them he pulls them and puts on Michelin.
    Most of the LT245's I've seen on Silverado's have been Firestone Steeltex.

I have them on both my trucks, and I really like them. When they are worn out, it will br either Michelins or the same 'Stones again.

Mike L
  • bob332bob332 Member Posts: 137
    What does Z71 mean to me. It is called gm marketing! The Z71 package is just a fad for gm to make more money. They probably would not have sold many of the packages without mounting the stickers on the trucks. If Z71 is so important to issue a sticker for it to promote sales, then gm should also issue stickers for the ZX3 (ride control suspension). The Z82 (trailering package) might also deserve stickers, but there are so many of these trucks being sold with the Z82 that promotion is not needed. I have heard that some owners are actually removing the Z71 stickers to make it easier to wax, etc. Bob
    Actually early 2000 they did have ZX3 stickers i seen 2 trucks on a dealers lot with them.

Also you say the Z71 is a fad??? Ok i dont think i would call it a fad because a fad comes and goes. Seems this gets bigger each yr. I would describe it as "hype".

Ryan
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I think a fad is something that only lasts a few months - 1 year max - the Z-71 has been around for several years. I agree it is a way for GM to make $$ - but why are they in business? To make $$ so what is wrong with that. What % of Z-71's are driven off road on a regular basis - I would guess less than 2%. Some have posted the Z-71 package is a waste of $$ - that you are better off buying heavy duty shocks, skid plates, high capacity air cleaner (really just a filter) and anti-roll bar. The only thing you could not add on as a factory option would be the off road jounce bumpers and the badging (GM speak for 2 stickers). But then it would not be an official Z-71!! If it cost me $3.00 more to get the package I could care less. I get that much satisfaction every time I blow by an F-150 with the "4X4 off road" sticker on the side of the bed, which is at least twice a week.
    ..people call them Z71's...and even ask if you have it right away...

it started out as an option code.(still is) and turned into a huge success..

i didn't need it though....I moved upward!

LOL

- Tim
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Going strong for 13 years now.

Maybe they should make a Z71-B for the 3/4 tons, then more people would buy them. LOL
This discussion has been closed.