Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

An early Toyota Corona, from about 1965. They were assembled in Port Melbourne (near my office) under the same deal as the Renault 16 mentioned above, being sold here as the Toyota Tiara. I am not sure if they made it to the USA, but obviously somewhere other than RHD countries.

This is sort of the beginning of the Japanese revolution in Australia. I don't think a massive number were assembled but from the next generation, they were a big hit.

Cheers

Graham
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173

Odie
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Well, I'm not sure what it is (beyond 'a Honda'), but it's somewhat gratifying to know that the US isn't the only place where people don't know how to park.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154
    edited December 2012
    Honda FRV - and judging by the reflection of the palm trees in the headlights it isn't in Guernsey, the only one of the British Isles to use all numeric number plates - so I guess this is somewhere Caribbean, or a Pacific Isle ?
    That Triumph 2.5PI was a Mark 2 sold 1969-74, they had a face lift in late 69 together with the 2000 to give that new grille.
    The Mark 1 from 68-69 was different with as it had the same front as the early Triumph 2000 from the mid 60's.
    edited December 2012

My stupid Flckr site no longer allows me to post my photos directly - all you can do is access the page itself using the little blue box there - sorry...

Any of you recommend a simple site (preferably free) where I could post my pictures and then copy them across to here?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    I usually use tinypic and paste the "Direct Link for Layouts" in a post using the IMG button. And I usually go back and edit and stick height=400 width=600" at the end of the code to get it to fit the page.

I think the reason you're getting nowhere with Flickr is because their URLs use and @ sign in them and we mask @ signs here to foil spambots.
    edited December 2012
    Ah, if you use the" Grab the HTML/BBC code" button at Flickr and then just grab the code following the img scr= stuff, you can paste that in here, block it all and then click the IMG button. Or click IMG, paste the code, then click IMG again.

The code is the farm9/staticflickr stuff.

DSCN7407
    Good call.. Yes it is a 2010 Honda FR-V with the 2.2ltr diesel. This was taken in Bermuda at the dockyards. From the size I would say it is right between the Fit and the Ody. The new 2014 Fit Shuttle that is due in the US is suppose to be based off of the outgoing FR-V from Europe. I think I may have spotted a tester the other day of it (had all the gear covering it like you see in the "Spy Shots") but I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a picture.

Odie
    This should be easy. I can say I've seen alot of things buried in flower beds before as decoratons, but this tops them all.

Odie
    That's almost as sad as seeing old canoes being used as flower boxes. :sick:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The car was probably massively rear-ended.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386
    edited December 2012
    1965 Ford Mustang ( WTF?)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    Yep, a Toyota Tiara. One of about 300 sold in the huge US market, and maybe the best survivor, if not the sole roadworthy survivor. I suspect these things rust at the mere rumor of rain. It was just "discovered" near Portland OR, although has obviously been enthusiast maintained. The replacement Corona would be 100x as successful in NA too, and the rest is history.
    Yeah, you should be able to right click and get the URL. I use photobucket, which has recently undergone a terrible "upgrade" that seems to have ignored any usability studies, but at least it allows easy direct linking.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Weird image, but 61 Ford convertible
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,082
    Although I prefer the Starliner hardtop, the '61 is my absolute favorite Ford of the sixties!

I like that blue too. I hate Ford's tomato reds of that period.

I'd have to have one with the correct full wheel covers, but love those cars.

One thing about Fords of that era I thought was a little goofy for a Big Three car, was how the steering column was actually two columns--a smaller one for steering and an exposed one for the shifter. Wouldn't keep me from really enjoying one though.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    A Galaxie Sunliner, then. Dog dish caps and wide whites, I don't know.

Call me crazy, but I prefer the 1960. Both 60 and 61 are excellent examples of the transition between 50s glitz and 60s modernism, kind of stuck in metamorphosis.
    Back in the 90s, my dad had a red and white on red and white 60 Country Sedan (try to find one of those today), I remember the two columns. Cool car, so wide and long, but via that it rode nicely.
    Thanks for this - I don't pretend to understand code, but does that mean I literally go along and delete all the code before farm9/etc... or do I also have to delete all the @ signs?

Oh - and by the way - anybody know the car?
    Yup[, that's a '61 Ford Sunliner.

yes it is 1/2 of a '65. This is located at CJ Pony Parts east of Harrisburg on Rt.22. It is only the front half not the entire vehicle. My girls (pictured) wanted to hide a geocaching container on it somewhere, but I said no.

Odie
    the '61 is my absolute favorite Ford of the sixties!

I'll go with the 63. I believe they were all on the same chassis through 64.
    edited December 2012
    The code you want to grab/copy in your example is:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8033/8067741157_3d4093d59a.jpg

So you'd delete anything else.

Then you'd bracket that with the IMG code that you can get by hitting the IMG button (hit it once to open the IMG code, paste the jpg photo link, then hit the IMG button again to close the code). The code goes between the "s.

Someone can probably explain it better. Or shoot me an email the next time you're having trouble (stever@edmunds.com). And you'll have to handtype that email address since the @ won't copy and paste right. :blush:
    Last call for the little white Berlina [hint] in #35166.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Alfa Romeo Berlina 2000?
    Definitely not a 2000, it's a 1971 Alfa-Romeo Giulia Super aka type 105, most Supers had 1300cc motors, some had 1600 and there was a 1760cc Perkins diesel starting in 1976. Then there were the endless variants including TI, and Nuova Super versions.

The tipo 105 was popular with the Carabinieri and as a taxicab during it's long production run lasting from '62 to '78.

G'day

Sort of Orphan Annie.

Peugeot 309 from about 1990.

When Peugeot bought the faint remnants of Chrysler Europe, they acquired the Ryton plant near Coventry and the plants in France. I think that this ws supposed to be badged as a Talbot, although Simca based. Logically, it should have been badged as a Peugeot 306, but being non Peugeot made, they called it a 309.

I know that I've driven one, belonging to a colleague, but have absolutely no recollection of it. I do recall that it looks like a sedan from the front and a hatchback from the rear.

A remarkably ungraceful design.

Cheers

Graham
    G'day

at first take, I thought some derivative of Fiat 124 Spyder, but proportions look larger. The grille and tyres make wonder it it is American.

Maybe some American one-off using mid 60's Italian design cues.

Very pretty

Cheers

Graham
    edited December 2012
    It has nothing in common with the Fiat 124 Spider, or any Fiat. You're correct about its origin, it was American-built in Oakland, California.

A hint: power came from the 3.5 Liter Buick V8 or the 5 Liter Buick V8 and it was built in coupe and spider versions.

That'd be Milt Brown and Newt Davis' Apollo sports car, Buick-powered, and given a lot of respect in the collector car world today. They are steel-bodied, and the car pictured here is quite rare---only 11 convertibles were made. The design should resemble an Italian car, as it was penned by Scaglione
    Yep, it's a rare 1962 Apollo GT Spider. Eventually production was shifted from California to Frank Reisner's Intermeccanica in Turin Italy.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    edited December 2012
    '62 Dodge Dart 2-door, I don't know the particular trim level. We had a 4-door, so maybe that's why I don't see how it was particularly ugly, as some sites state. Especially in comparison to other early '60s cars, many of which can best be described as 'interesting'...
    texases -- we're trying to reach you. Contact Karen at karen@edmunds.com
    that's why I don't see how it was particularly ugly, as some sites state.

I dunno, when I see that pic I think of Jack LaLanne. Muscular and fit, but dude, lose the jumpsuit).
    It's a very tortured design, IMO--it has no coherence. The front and back haven't been properly introduced. Reminds me of how a car might look if it were designed by 3 separate teams living in three different countries, each one assigned a part of the car--to be later glued together.
    Yup, it's a 1962 Dodge 440 Max Wedge, pretty rare, pretty fast and pretty ugly.

I s'pose it's not that bad looking for a '62 MoPar but a little restraint would've gone a long way, which they eventually figured out>

At the risk of sounding like I think it's GOOD looking (I don't) I will take issue with "The front and back haven't been properly introduced"

If you compare them, you'll note the headlights and taillights match in configuration, with the same offset for both. More coordinated that some.

But good looking? Nope.
    I guess I'm not as tough on the 62 Dodge Polara/Dart and sister Plymouth Shifty. The cars from Ford and GM were pretty simple in their style then (not that there weren't some really nice lookers because simplicity in design can be classic) and I think Mopar was trying to differentiate themselves. However, I do think they would have come out better on their originally conceived full sized platforms - but still been a bit quirky I suppose. You have to admit that the long nose and short deck lid they brought back became pretty common on midsize product a few years later. Also remember that Chrysler was somewhat successful with that canted full size big car design change in 1960 which also yielded a different looking car. Like them or not, I think those 62's at least grab some attention and can provoke some discussion.
    While that's labeled a Dart, it's not, I think it's a Polara (the rear fender is wrong for a Dart). Coincidentally, we owned a '63 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop with a 383 'police' engine.
    I guess I'm not as tough on the 62 Dodge Polara/Dart and sister Plymouth Shifty. The cars from Ford and GM were pretty simple in their style then (not that there weren't some really nice lookers because simplicity in design can be classic) and I think Mopar was trying to differentiate themselves. However, I do think they would have come out better on their originally conceived full sized platforms - but still been a bit quirky I suppose. You have to admit that the long nose and short deck lid they brought back became pretty common on midsize product a few years later. Also remember that Chrysler was somewhat successful with that canted full size big car design change in 1960 which also yielded a different looking car. Like them or not, I think those 62's at least grab some attention and can provoke some discussion.
    While that's labeled a Dart, it's not, I think it's a Polara (the rear fender is wrong for a Dart). Coincidentally, we owned a '63 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop with a 383 'police' engine.
    yeah, okay, I see your point about that---maybe it's all the useless gingerbread that gives me the sense of chaos or the lines going up down and sideways.

But yes, there is a sense of diagonally offset lights front and rear. So probably the people who designed the front of the car did look at the back of the car.

But you're also right, it's still ugly.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,486
    Fiat Dino 246 (C?) with the targa top.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Yup, it's a 1962 Dodge 440 Max Wedge, pretty rare, pretty fast and pretty ugly.

I have no argument with the 'ugly', but it would be a 413 Max Wedge. The 440 didn't show up until 1966.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])