Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mystery car pix

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,087
    edited December 2013
    "But how long from the time the C7 was known until the Mustang was designed? Cutting it pretty close, IMO."

From Iacocca's books, and others I've read through the years, in the industry there have always been spies that know what the other guy is doing waaayyyyy before it's released to the public.

I just find it very, very hard-to-believe that such a nearly-identical shape would make it onto two makers' top-image-sports cars without some inside scoop from somewhere.

I've argued on these forums before that Corvette is the only true American car like it, when others have compared a Mustang to a Corvette. I compare a Mustang to a Camaro, but not to a Corvette, in concept. I think Ford was trying to inject a little 'Vette into its Mustang. Your opinion may vary. ;)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's such a generic motif, I think it's purely coincidence. It's like saying 'someone copied my circle".
    Well, if you say so, but I can think of only two cars that share that size and shape, and both are that company's flagship sports cars. ;)
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131
    edited December 2013
    The windows appear to be of a significantly different size, the Corvette being much smaller (and probably carrying it better). As you say, Mustangs also compete with Camaros, not Corvettes. One has usually been a bit smaller, lighter, and cheaper than the other.

I see it as more of a played out styling trend than specifically copying that car, seeing I can think of at least 3 other 2-door cars that have had a very similar trait for many years now. For some, a little upkick or flourish at the C-pillar is a way to show "character" - ask Lexus, who does something mildly similar.
    edited December 2013
    Oh no I've seen that motif for many years. It's pretty old hat.

"The windows appear to be of a significantly different size"

Not to my eyes, but I haven't seen the Mustang in person and only saw a C7 in person for the first time this morning.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    It's such a minor styling element, not like it defines the car's 'look'.

As for folks calling the Mustang the equivalent of the Stingray/Corvette:
    hahahahahahahahahaha....

You're correct, it's always been the Camaro/Mustang war.
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    1956 Chrysler New Yorker.
    Camaro's a much nicer every day car.

The Shelby GT500 is a real beast though--it'd give a Vette a run for the money.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013
    It looks smaller on the Corvette, to me.

Anyway, I see it as more coincidental than copycat. If that's a copycat, I can then say the Impala steals the greenhouse profile of the Fusion, who stole it from the A5/A7.
    I think the Impala's rear-end styling is cribbed from the Sonata.

Personally, I believe it's more likely that somebody swipes a Corvette styling cue, than the Impala from an unknown sales/image quantity like the new Fusion, but that's me. I'm just glad the Impala doesn't have the latest Ford 'fish mouth' grille look...MHO only of course.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    OK I'll vote - Mustang. But I go by convertibles!
    I'll agree with that, the big mouth look is getting old. Ford is milking the Aston connection for every penny it is worth, the Mustang has it too. And to their credit, it is working, the Fusion is a definite success.

Faces on cars are even more tiresome. It works on a Bugeye Sprite, not on everything else.
    Maybe it's the Cars movie influence but I'm more partial to the Camaro's looks.
  • magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,154
    edited December 2013
    I like that the two pony cars are very different in looks, just like back in the late 60's and early 70's.
    I'll go for the VW bug in the lower right. Er, late 50s?

Is this a movie still? Those cars are all pretty shiny.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,471
    Darn! You nailed the only one I have a clue about.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

At far left looks like an Austin A40/Devon, another of which is seen perpendicular to the street towards the top. The car at the front of the line looks like a Ford Prefect, perhaps. Nearest the Beetle is a Fiat Topolino.
    I think the VW is a bit earlier _ it looks like a split back window to me. The cars are all shiny because they were then fairly new - the picture was taken in Haarlem Holland, in 1954.
    edited December 2013
    The two Austins are A40 Devons - well done for spotting the one in the distance - its not a very big picture. The Ford Prefect is the E493A model which was in production until 1953, I think, and the Fiat is a 500 Topolino - many were built before the war as it was introduced in 1936, but the 500A went on until 1948, and the 500B was in production for another year or so - the separate headights didn't go until right at the end of 1949with the 500C, so given how shiny this one is I would imagine it is post war. It is also possible that it could be a Simca, or even Neckar-Fiat from Germany, but the Italian version is probably most likely.
    So, what is the black car following the Prefect?

PS - the bus is apparently a British built Crossley - Dutch Railways had a large fleet of SD42's with local built bodies from the late 40's. (The guy who posted this picture knows his buses)...
    The black car is a mystery to me. I can't pin it down - looks fairly British, but continental cars weren't much different. I know it's not American, for sure.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    Is it an early Volvo?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I thought this one would be more difficult. It looks very British, although it isn't, and although I can see where you are coming from with the Volvo it isn't one of those either.
    Not British, eh? Gee it looks a lot like a Humber Hawk.
    I can see that too - it looks a lot like a Lea Francis, but it really isn't British.
    Another clue, then - the country it does come from used to drive on the left until the war, like we still do now - and it isn't Sweden which when this picture was taken was still driving on the left.
    Oh, I get it. It must be made in Iceland.

No, that can't be right. Maybe a Czech car?
    I think the latter is true. I know Tatra T87 were exported to the Netherlands after the war (although this isn't a Tatra).
    So Czech what else was made there - Czechoslovakia drove on the left from its foundation in 1919 until it was seized by the [non-permissible content removed] in 1938/9...
    There's really one other large scale maker, still in business today (with design help from the fatherland - and I am trying to see if someone else can guess :) )
    edited December 2013
    Skoda? Can't place a vehicle made by Skoda that looks quite like that...maybe a Model 1102?
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I cannot think of any Skoda which looks like the black car and cannot think of any other Czech manufacturers from that era.

Regards

Graham
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

This has taken far more time and thinking than most, but I found a You-tube of a 1950 Skoda 1102 Tudor Saloon from somewhere in Canadian which looks similar. Even found a rear shot of another 1102 where the two boot handles are apparent.

Skoda enjoyed a good reputation in Australia in the 1950's and the local distributor was both profitable and listed on the Stock Exchange.

A 1952 story, originally appearing in the Melbourne Truth, is interesting reading

INGENUITY KEYNOTES
    NEW SKODA
    The Melbourne "Truth" writes:
    Trust the Continental people to
    produce something just a bit dif
    ferent in the way of motor cars.
    We are referring to the Skoda, for
    many years well known in Europe,
    but entirely a newcomer on the
    Melbourne market
    It comes from Czechoslovakia
    and arrives on the Melbourne
    wharves wanting only the wheels
    braced on, a battery connected,
    and petrol put in the tanks.
    The Czechs know their body
    building and the first impression
    is of flawless finish. The second is
    of accessibility and a more de
    tailed examination discloses many
    refinements on what is basically a
    conventional o.h.v. of 11.4 h.p.
    Among the refinements we
    listed:
    Gravity feed petrol tank, which.
    with the radiator, generator, coil
    or distributor could be removed in
    a matter of a couple of minutes;
    "One-shot" lubrication, which
    means that by stepping on a lung
    er near the pedals the chassis can
    be lubricated without hoists or.
    grease gun;
    That the back seat can be en
    tirely removed in 30 sees, and the
    6-ft. long flat space extending into
    the boot used for commercial or
    camping purposes;
    That the conventional form of
    back axle has been replaced by a
    differential bolted to the chassis so
    that the back wheels are driven
    through universal joints as in
    front-wheel-drive cars. This gives
    independence of springing on all
    four wheels.
    We tested the springing on a
    slhort test at 40 m.ph. over the
    cobbles near Victoria dock with
    very pleasing results indeed.
    Among other things we discov
    ered that the car went to the cus
    tomer with a really comprehensive
    set of tools even to tyre gauge
    and spare light globes.
    There appeared to be enough
    tools to tackle a rebore-except
    that the Skoda is not rebored.
    The principle is that you leave
    your car at the service station in
    the morning and pick it up at
    night, by which time the cylinder
    liners and pistons have been re
    placed. which is a slightly differ
    ent story from having to leave
    your car for a week.
    The cost is a bit different, too
    about £30 for a Skoda, and any
    thing from £60 to £80 for most other
    cars.
    Maker's specifications claim
    maximum speed of 70 and petrol
    consumption 35 m.p.g. at 30 m.p.h.

I am intrigued by the reference to the ease of doing a rebore as a one day changeover. I cannot imagine doing a major engine out rebore in a day, even now!

Cheers

Graham
    I'll take one!
    Well done - and to graham for finding a lot more about it... This is either a four door version of the 1101 or more likely (because more were made) the 1102 - that also had a slightly longer wheelbase I think and the one in the picture looks longer.

They made about 67000 of these (more common in two door form) between 1946/52,and according to the author David Randall in his history of Skoda, the whole range was known as Tudors - including the four door. Presumably it was a reference to a noble sounding name rather than the Ford way of naming a car according to the doors, but it wasn't sold in Britain so we never found out.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,386

Notice that half the drivers don't know they should turn their lights on in the rain. Some things don't change much. :mad:

Might as well call em off by rows.

Bigger.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I'll take the 59 Pontiac convertible. Fin, there's a 60 Ford behind it.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,908
    Is that the 405 or the 101 in LA?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

You beat me to it. I am surprised so many are using lights, to be honest - not much different from today.

I'll pick off the Triumph TR10 behind a ~55 Ford truck at lower left. Lots of good pickings in this pic, many should be able to chime in.

It never rains in southern California.
    I'll grab the 1951 Buick.
    Check out the grades of the exit and entrance ramps.
    edited December 2013
    Your Triumph TR10 was a Standard 10 over here - is it my imagination or was this an Estate version - we knew that as a Standard Companion.

Third car in outside lane - is it a 57 Pontiac?
    Los Angeles rainfall
    2009-2010 16.36 inches rain
    2010-2011 20.20 inches rain
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited December 2013
    Los Angeles rainfall
    2009-2010 16.36 inches rain
    2010-2011 20.20 inches rain

Put it in perspective - fin is in Seattle and annual rainfall is 36".

Just for kicks I looked up my locale of Boston: 43" of rain and 41" of snow. Seattle is like Phoenix and LA is the Sahara desert in comparison.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Not the 405. I had thought it might be the 110, which is the oldest, but I have driven that path a lot of times. It is the 101 south of Highland street.

You beat me to it - I was going to say I knew the highway, if not the cars!
    edited December 2013
    Yes, it's a 57 Pontiac and before and after it, 58 Cadillacs.
    Fin, salute Fort Lewis for me. Been there, done that.
    And on the WA coast where my mother lives, the rainfall is usually 60-70". No thanks. Although this part of the country still has the best summers of anywhere I know.

I was naming an old song :)
    "It never rains in southern California"

Nope - it's all just Pacific Shelf Overhang as the weather people call it :-)
    edited December 2013
    There was indeed an estate version of that car sold in NA, along with the sedan. They seem to have a good survival rate for something that might have dissolved when wet.

Here's one:

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,238
    59 Ford wagon going away.