Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Not in Feb, much later. Summer 06.
  • morphusmorphus Member Posts: 1
    Hello.

I have found a gorgeous 2002 C70 HPT with 50,000mi for $25,000.

Is this an acceptable price?

The extended bumper-to-bumper warranty (to 100k) costs $2k. Seems wayyy too high!

How reliable are these vehicles?
    Is it a 150k+ mi worthy vehicle?

How are the costs after 50k mi?

I appreciate any information.

Thank you :)

- William
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    I didn't look it up, but I'm thinking that sounds pretty high for a coupe with that many miles.

As far as reliability, mine has been pretty good (I have the S70, but its the same from a mechanical standpoint - although there are some differences between my '98 and an '02), IMHO, up through the 104K I now have. Yes, I've put a few thousand in repairs into it, but I still love it and figure having such a great car is worth it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I agree with gbrozen. Probably a bit high for 50k. Think it should be in the 12-16k range.

As far as the extended warranty, 2k is not too expensive. We'll see what Volvomax says about these issues but.....

I put in a new throttle body after 40k. (think that was around $800)
    I put on new shocks and struts at 85k (that was around $1,100)
    I hear that the windows for the Cs have issues and I know that's around $900.
    I agree with gbrozen. Probably a bit high for 50k. Think it should be in the 12-16k range.

As far as the extended warranty, 2k is not too expensive. We'll see what Volvomax says about these issues but.....

I put in a new throttle body after 40k. (think that was around $800)
    I put on new shocks and struts at 85k (that was around $1,100)
    I hear that the windows for the Cs have issues and I know that's around $900.

Warranty price is about right.
    If the car is an HPT coupe the price is at full retail.
    Car should sell in the upper teens to maybe $20k.
    $12-16 is too low in my opinion.
    yeah, the 12-16k comment confused me, too. but i think maybe he was saying that a $25k example should have 12-16k miles?

anyway, the extended warranties for volvos are darned expensive, that's for sure. Oh, but, schuhc, shocks and struts won't be covered no matter what.

One major detail we're missing is whether its stick or auto.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

meant miles....sorry

In the Chicago area I have seen 2002 to 2004 coupes/cvts with 10-20k miles going in the $22k to $26k range.

WOW...It's amazing how much clearer things get when I actually put dollar signs in front of numbers.
  • azzaazza Member Posts: 2
    Hi, wondered if anyone knew any resolution to the problem with the SC 901 not playing CDR's. Does anyone know a make of CDR that works in the cd player ? Or does anyone know any other way to make burnt cdr's play in the stereo ?

Thanks,

Azza
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Azza, I've had no problems using TDK and Sony brands.
  • dfwk2500dfwk2500 Member Posts: 68
    We have had the same problem with our '04, but had no problem with our '99. Discs that worked in the '99 will not work in the '04 although it is the "same radio". The only recordable cds from the '99 that work in the '04 are the old style 650mb's not any of the 700mb. I cannot find any more of the blank 650mb to test and see if that is the issue. I have tried 3 different burners, different brands of media, etc. I do find it amusing that the 700mb's that do not work in the '04 C70 will work in the 60 series loaner they gave us when the '04 was in for service. I've gone round and round with the service folks on this and so far have gotten nowhere. I wish I had pulled the radio from the '99 before we traded it in.
    That is definitely weird!! :confuse: :confuse:
    Hi guys:

The cds that work for me are the TDK 700mb's.
    You can get them at Target in spools and they have the 'white film with dots in them' (that's the only way I can explain it). When burning those cds, you should make sure that you burn them at a very slow speed. Usually takes me around 20 minutes to burn the 700mb cd.
    Have minor issues with the 00 C70 (wil sometimes take a bit of time to 'catch') and absolutely no issues with the stereo that is in my wife's 04 XC90.
  • azzaazza Member Posts: 2
    That's great, i hear that FujiFilm CDR's also work and so may HP 700mb ones, so i'll be trying out those and TDK.

I tried using older 650mb ones but still not 100% successful.

I am trying to contact Volvo directly to get help on this, i have heard that there may be some sort of software update you can perform on the SC901 stereo, but i am very sceptical about this.

I'll keep you all posted..

It would be good if we could build up a list of suitable CDR's that work.

So we have :

TDK
    FujiFilm (tbc)
    HP (tbc)
    Tommy indicated that Sony worked as well. I would be a bad business partner if I didn't push our main client out there.

Next 4 Sony commercials you see are ours.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I'm going to be selling my '02 HPT Convertible. It's in excellent condition and has 31K miles. Based on the Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book websites, I've priced it at $27K, but some of the postings above suggest it's worth less. It's a 5 speed, and has the optional audio system and optional wheels. Is my price where it should be? I'm in New Jersey.
    $25,000 is probably closer to its value as a private party sale.
    What will hurt you is the manual tranny.
    I'd put the car on some national sites so people all over can see it.
    Thanks, Volvomax. What national sites would you suggest? The only one I'm familiar with is cars.com.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    If you go to http://www.edmunds.com - on the left you will see "Sell Your Car" with our partner AutoTrader.
    There is also a well known auction site ;)
  • piertwinpiertwin Member Posts: 5
    Do you know if I could find a wind screen other than at a Volvo dealer ?
    It's so expensive I cannot afford it ? any help ? thks. :confuse:
  • suziecsuziec Member Posts: 1
    I've been a fan of the C70 for as long as I can remember. I'm considering purchasing a 2000 C70 LT for $20K. It has 41K miles and seems to check out okay... any recommendations?
    The only other place I've seen them is Ebay every once and a while. There are TWO versions and they are not interchangeable. I think the second one came with MY03, but don't hold me to it. Assuming I'm right, the 99-02 ones have a slot in the back seat above the speakers and reading light. The newer version has a circle, round hole, in the same location. Therefore, the screen bracket has to match the car, or it ain't gonna fit! Sometimes on Ebay the seller doesn't always have it right, so ask the seller if it has the slot or the peg, which goes in the hole. Don't know why Volvo changed it, unless the newer one holds better. I've got a '99 with the slot and sometimes on real rough pavement one side will come loose. Not a big deal but it happens.

You're right they are expensive, bought mine at the dealer, was approx. $350, BUT it's worth every dollar. Truly amazing the difference it makes. Good luck.
    we're missing ALOT of info here. Not the least of which is whether this is a coupe or convertible.

Let's ASSUME its a convertible (it better be for that kind of money) and let's assume it has leather, stability control, heated seats, and trip computer. Looks like even Edmunds says that price is full dealer retail. And I usually find Edmunds to be on the high side. So ... if from a dealer AND if it has all the options AND if its clean and has no bodywork in its history, I'm thinking more like $18.5-$19K.

THks for your advices. In Canada they sell it for $575cdn -> $460 US...so if I got to go in New Hampshire this summer I may order it from a NH dealer when I'll be there...thks again. ;)
    I have a 2000 C70 , living in Quebec, Canada and have the same :mad: problem...looking forward to find The solution...
    Piertwin, check out item # 7972831344 on the bay. As previously mentioned, I'm not sure of his date range so ask first. Says it's from a 2004. In your original post your model year wasn't mentioned, so I don't know if this one will work or not.
  • cjbsuccess1cjbsuccess1 Member Posts: 1
    Was this issue ever worked out. My car just did the same thing to me. i pressed the shift lock button and now I can not get my key out or lock the wheel. Can you help? :confuse:
    Thanks again Tmart - mine is a 00 model....I think my best move is to buy it from an east cost dealer (VT or NH)...I'll continue to check Ebay...thks again. :)
    I've been trying to sell my '02 HPT convertible for more than 2 weeks, but have not received even 1 call in response to my ads...very odd. I've advertised in 3 local papers, plus autotrader.com. It's a 5 speed with the optional 17' wheels and stereo, 31K miles, and is in excellent condition. I had priced it at $27K, and reduced the price to $24K, and still no calls. I maintain my cars very well, and in the past it's never taken me more than a few days to sell a car. One would think that it's the absolute best time of the year to sell a convertible. On top of that I'm in Northern Jersey, and Volvos are so popular here. Any ideas?
    Without looking too deep into it, seems like a decent price. Did you keep advertising in the papers with the reduced price? Do you live or know anyone that lives on a busy street? No matter how much advertising I've ever done for any car, every single one I've sold has been to someone who spotted it driving by. good luck.

Thanks qbrozen, I was thinking of doing that...the car is very sharp looking and I would expect it to attract attention.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    shark715, have you tried going to Edmunds.com? You can get your car in front of online used-car shoppers by clicking the "Sell Your Car" link.

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

The only thing I can think of is that it is a manual car.
    Very few convertibles were manuals, it does require a special buyer.
    In the 7 yrs were have sold convertibles I think 4 cars were manuals.
    You might try ebay.
    you also might want to try posting on volvo enthusiast sites where the manual high-pressure turbo is likely to find the right buyer.

It went for $280.
  • apolloc70apolloc70 Member Posts: 13
    i have the 98 T5 coupe (saffron)
    i also noticed recently that 650mb sony CDs work "better" than others, but they are hard to find. but burned CDs still skip more easily than Original CDs. do you guys find that CDs, original or copied, skip way too often ? (they do for me)
    i am considering upgrading to a double din unit (Pioneer AVIC-D1) it has a monitor to cover up the giant surface that the radio uses up, but the dealer says volvo wiring is very sensitive and may cause electrical problems......$$$
    short of that, u can get an ipod and use an FM Transmitter to listen to it off of the radio but i doubt the quality will be worthy of dolby surround....

ps: i'm in montreal, which one are you ?
    I'll try the sony CDR..to see if they are readable. I alraidy tried to burn a CDR at a slower spped without success.
    I Live in Bromont but went to Mtl last friday night.
    PS: I don't intent to change the SC-901 sound system for an OEM one...I'll use the original CD's I got...regards. Pierre
  • 10scoachrick10scoachrick Member Posts: 74
    Please excuse the re-post if this has been discussed...couldn't find any info...
    Our '04 C70 convert LPT has had steering 'ghosts' since 2k miles(has only 8k now). Under normal driving conditions, the steering is normal but has a bit of 'power steering whine' especially noticeable at parking lot speeds. The steering stops have been lubed three times and each time the whine is less pronounced for a while. The REAL problem is when trying to turn the steering to or near the limits(as in a U-turn or tight parking)...the wheel grabs as though there is no power assist as one would pull into a parking space--not jamming the wheel, just turning near the limit. The whine is more pronounced and the wheel 'relaxes' after a second or so but basically, the turn is interrupted for a moment. Dealer says the convert and coupes behave this way and unless the service 'district mgr' discovers a flaw, we are to live with the problem. There is NO comparison in turning ease or radius between the C70 and our V70 even though the C70 should have a slightly smaller radius. I've seen this problem mentioned on the MSN site but there was no follow-up to the discussion. Anyone have any ideas? We've become accustomed to the C70 quirks but this rates as dangerous, IMO. Thanks for any help!
  • otis4otis4 Member Posts: 14
    Rick,
    Our '04 C70 LPT has 10,000 miles on it, although I do not consider ours quirky at all, I did read here on Edmunds, before purchase, about several potential problems. One guy thought the transmission was very sub-par as a unit sourced from Mitsubishi (I've had no problems with mine). That same guy had the steering problems you mention...he even had the entire steering rack replaced with another factory unit. Before Edmunds 'revamped' their format you could look up owners' surveys and comments...I don't seem to be able to find that part of the 'new' website design, unfortunately, I guess it's been deleted (my review was there too as a very satisfied customer). However, due to what I read, I made sure the Volvo salesman test drove my car prior to delivery (it came in on a dealer exchange) to include several full circle turns with the wheel at the steering lock. Both he and I noted no problems when the car was new. BUT, it wasn't too long before I noticed that the steering seemed to be "taxed" at the limit of the rack travel...I don't think my experience is as drastic as yours...I certainly wouldn't call mine unsafe...more of a nusiance getting in to that tight parking spot or making that tight u-turn. I try to avoid such manuvers since I really don't want to cause trouble in an otherwise trouble free car, but I do get the distinct feeling that without trying too hard, I could get something to snap in that rack-and-pinion system. Design flaw? Friday car? Who knows, I just know I love my C70 convertible and if I have to do the occational K-turn instead of a U-turn then I'm OK with that. How does this info help you? Well the dealer is probably right when he tests your car and says it's operating normally or within limits. To put a new steering rack in would more than likely not improve your situation or your car's performance. Additionally, it would be installed locally instead of factory installed and that always worries me a bit. BUT again, if you are not happy or have safety concerns, Volvo should be putting you, their customer, first. If you have leased your car, like me, I would say live with it if it isn't a danger. If you bought it I would be more inclined to pursue. My steering quirks are a lot like yours...let me know if you have more questions or other issues with this otherwise fine car.
    Rick,
    ...one more thing. As I have learned from this site, there is no comparison between a current V70 (based on a wagon version of the current S60) and your C70 which is based on the older S70 underpinnings from the 1990's which is based closely on the even older 850 platform from the early 90's. Obviously Volvo is learning from earlier platforms like our convertible's and applying better engineering to more current stuff like the S60/S80's and even more recent 2004 1/2 S40 which I have driven and like alot! I can't wait to see the retractable hardtop version of the S40 to see if it will be a worthy replacement to the C70.
    going to be called a C70, not a S40.
    tmart,
    Actually, I thought the jury was still out on that one. C70, C50, big, small, mini sized...no one seems to know for sure and Volvo corporate is very tight lipped about it all. They certainly aren't telling their dealers anything they can pass on to their consumers. I have taken to calling it "Volvo's next convertible" as that seems to be the only sure thing! I think I am right when I say it's based on the S40 platform right? No matter what they finally end up calling it, I'm still looking forward to seeing it and driving it. I visit this site alot so when something definite is known I will surely read about it here!
    IIRC, a couple of months ago Volvo confirmed the new convertible coupe would be continue to be called the C70. You're correct that it will be on the S40 platform. Check out this link. Hope it works: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=105701
    For the record.
    It will be called C70.
    It is based on the S40 chassis.

It is also at least 1 yr away.
  • heisnsteinheisnstein Member Posts: 45
    These are from a Dutch mag that refers to the car as a C70. Whatever it's called, it's clearly a S40 derivative.

http://www.autovisie.nl/news/items/20050603T0944058_0.xml
    Damn, that looks good. :D
    Wow. Finally a photo that is not 'computer generated'. Looks like they had this one out on the road...or two since I notice the interior colors are different in the two photos. Makes me wish I could read Dutch. Nice treatment on the tail I think, I was wondering how they were going to work the S80-like taillights onto a roofless car. I think I like the back view better than the front. Thanks for the link.
  • myoumyou Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum and read you message. I have a 2005 V70 with memory seats and mirrors, but haven't figured out how to program the key fob. How do you do it?

Michael
    myou,
    I am afraid I cannot help here since I have the C70 convertible that does not have that cool key-fob feature like your V70. Your salesman should have included this info as part of your new owner delivery when you picked up your car. If it is not easily explained in your owner's manual, I would just give the salesman a quick call as he or she probably gets this question a lot. Good luck with the new Volvo.
  • abc2abc2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a C70 conv 2002 and I think I had your problem with the steering quirks when U-turning.....I went to the dealer and what they did they changed both sway bars end links ( P/N 30714686-0), lube the steering stops and replaced some metal glue bolts in the suspension (P/N 1161370-0). I must tell you the problem is gone ....Hope it won't return, but the VOLVO service was outstading

goog luck with your problem