Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram MEGA CAB

truckghtruckgh Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Dodge
Want to see the quad cab resale fall? Check out the new Mega-Cab. I am saving my money. They say pricing may be mid 30k.
http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/mega_cab/gallery.html

Comments

• cowboycadicowboycadi Member Posts: 5
    Are they saying how much for a 2500?

04 2500 4x4QC hemi
    02 1500 4x4 QC
    03 Durango 5.9 4x4
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    I don't think Quad Cab resale vales will be affected much. Most RAM owners realized from the beginning that the RAM Quad was an extended cab with four doors. I have found that most people who bought one wanted the extra cargo box capacity more than capacity in the rear seat area. The ones that wanted more rear seating bought the F150 or the Silverado.

RAM Quad resale will only be affected if the density of used Quads increases significantly.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • howser51howser51 Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend that works for chrysler finance he told me that the mega cab would be out In august or begining of september. He also told me that they were only going to put an 1000.00 on the price of any other truck for the mega cab.
  • striddystriddy Member Posts: 2
    Please can you explain to me what you mean by 1000.00 on the price of any other truck. I am saving my money too for the mega cab
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I don't think the Mega-Cab can be had with the 8' bed. Anyone know for sure?

Bob
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    That is correct. It is only available with the short (6-1/4 foot) bed.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bart5bart5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the Mega Cab will debut?
  • tex10tex10 Member Posts: 27
    it needs a long bed
  • jaco1jaco1 Member Posts: 1
    IT is out. We jsut drove the beauty on Sat and will be buying it on Tue. We actuall went to look at Quad cabs, but after driving this and riding front seat and back well this is the ONE. With the back seats foldes down you could sleep in the thing--- not aht we paln to. Lots of cargo space if ya need to tote things around or travel alot. Hope it will get decent gas mileage. Does anyone have one yet? I am told it only weighs a little over 300 more tahn quad cab. If anyone gets one please correspond b ecause WE are getting one and it is inferno red,. LOL kath
  • polcarpolcar Member Posts: 1
    I own a 02 SLT Quad 4.7 4x2 and got to drive a loaded 4x4 2500 mega with a diesel yesterday and I was truly impressed. The ride is very smooth and quiet (almost as quiet as my truck)! The rear space is totally amazing, my wife even enjoyed the short ride in it. I was thinking about getting just the quad diesel, but I'm seriously thinking about the mega. I'm going to wait and see what people say about it before I really start to consider trading in my truck.
  • dodgemcdodgemc Member Posts: 1
    I just received my 3500 4x4 Mega Cab and what a truck!! It is extremely quiet, nice ride and I love the exhaust brake. Great investment - anxious to get the ball in the bed to start hauling!!
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Member Posts: 654
    No it doesn't. The main point of the mega cab, is a very roomy cab. IMO the target buyer is looking for space in the cab not in the bed..
  • shadow16shadow16 Member Posts: 3
    I need a no B.S. assessment from anyone that has hauled with the 6.0 Power stroke and the latest Dodge Cummings. I would like to know if you were able to tow with power and speed or just power. If so, advise which provided, what? I've owned the 7.3 and I know what it could do. I currently have the latest edition 6.0 Power stroke and was thoroughly disappointed with it's stock performance. The last Cummings I owned was 97-12 valve that was very slow and under powered. I was left in the rear by a Ford PS 7.3 carrying a similar load.
    Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of installing the Gear Vender. I would like to hear from someone that have experienced this product 1st hand.
  • rbdodgerbdodge Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2500 2004.5 HO Dodge and a 2005 F250 6.0 and I just traded the F250 in for a 2500 2006 Dodge, For me the Dodge will out pull the Ford and my Ford was in the shop 5 times with less than 18,000 miles for turbo problems the 2004 Dodge has never been to the shop for problems and have 60,000 on it.
    What's your towing weight and average speed while in tow? Without?
  • looneytoonlooneytoon Member Posts: 14
    I currently own a 2006 Charger R/T and a 2006 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 4x4. I am looking to buy the 2006 Ram 2500 Megacab with the 5.7(which I love so far in the two vehicles I have) or the 5.9 cummins. Both I know are good motors. My only debate is the wife will make me sale one of the others. So I guess my question is should I trade in one and if so which one or should I Keep what I have and why? Thanks
  • shellrehmshellrehm Member Posts: 15
    Ok we just purchased a Mega Cab 2500 can't wait to take it for a ride to see how much we like it. Any comments on the Mega Cab let me know.

Thanks.
  • mercer3mercer3 Member Posts: 3
    I am about to purchase a mega cab diesel anyone have feedback on the truck ? I have been very impressed with a couple of test drives and i really like the extra cab space. The diesel seems very smooth and everything I have read about the engine has been good.
    John
    I can't speak for the cab itself, as I have an 05 Quad Cab, but since the engine is the same, I can tell you that the Cummins will not let you down. Unless you need to drag a small house, you should not need any performance upgrades.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • mearsmears Member Posts: 4
    I was told by Dodge that they wouldn't put an 8 foot box on them because they would be to long. but in the line of work that i was in that would have been great. But since i no longer do hot shot work and stay out for a week at a time i no longer need all the extra room that i was wishing for in the mega cab. It's because of the short box that i decided that it wouldnt be right for me, sometimes you just need the extra room for tighter turns.
  • stubsstubs Member Posts: 4
    I'm planning on buying a Dodge Mega cab, but am having difficulty deciding between the 1500 and the 2500, hemi vs. cummins. I have always driven 3/4 ton trucks even my suburban is a 2500 454. I'm replacing the Suburban with the Dodge mega cab. Won't be daily driver, used on trips to the city , lake etc. Will only pull boat trailer several times /year. Too many decisions. I've always had the 3/4's for the bigger brakes, tires shocks and trailering capabilities. Is there such a difference between the 1500's and 2500's? Any advice will be useful.
    The 1500 and 2500 Mega Cabs are essentially identical - the 2500 offers the option of the Cummins. The 1500 has a GVWR of 8510; the 2500 is 8800 with the Hemi, 9000 with the Cummins. The 1500 MC 4x4 even has the same solid front axle as the 2500. Dodge did this to keep the heavy Mega Cab out of EPA ratings (>8500), while still offering a "1500" to those who really don't know the difference.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Is the extra expense of the cummins vs. the hemi justifiable if one isn't going to do alot of heavy pulling.
    I understand that the mileage of the cummins (20mpg) is better than the hemi (13-15 mpg) performance about equal but cost of diesel 40 cents more than gas. I also realize that trade in value of the cummins is greater than the hemi. Will be driving mostly hyw. miles. Any suggestion

Thanks
    Did you go thru with your purchase of the Mega Cab? If so what motor did you get? Would you buy another one? Pro's and cons.

Thanks
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Don't forget to factor in the increased maintenance costs of the diesel....that can be significant.
    I have to disagree with this. The Cummins never needs a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, etc), the oil-change intervals are longer, and everything else is the same as far as changing filters. I spend a whole lot less keeping my Cummins happy than I ever did with gasoline trucks.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • megabumedmegabumed Member Posts: 2
    GET THE DIESEL! i JUST BOUGHT A MEGA CAB HEMI AND DROVE IT TO COLORADO FROM KENTUCKY PULLING A 3750 LB TRAILER, AND GOT MEGA LAUGHED AT BY MY BUDDIES, MEGA PASSED ON ALL THE GRADES BY DIESELS PULLING BIGGER TRAILERS, AND AVERAGED A MEGA 7.3 MPG OVER THE COURSE OF 3000 MILES. THE HEMI IS NOT ENOUGH ENGINE FOR THE MEGA CAB- I WANT TO CRY, BECAUSE I LOVE IT OTHERWISE, BUT HERE COMES THE BATH WHEN I PUT IT ON EBAY- I WAS TOTALLY EMBARRASED ABOUT THE ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUSLY SORRY [non-permissible content removed] PERFORMANCE OF THE ENGINE- MEGA HEMI'S ARE A MEGA MISTAKE. THE TRUCK IS AWESOME, OTHERWISE! BUY DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • megabumedmegabumed Member Posts: 2
    THE ONLY TIME MY MEGA TRIP COMPUTER SHOWED 15 MPG WAS ROLLING DOWN A GRADE WITH MY FOOT OFF THE GAS COMPLETELY- AROUND TOWN IN KY WITH NO LOAD IT AVERAGES 10.2 MPG. THANK GOD I HAVE A COMPANY GAS CARD!!
    I finally bought the MegaCab 2500 with the hemi. Pulled my boat and trailer home from the lake this weekend. Rarely saw more than 10 mpg on the trip computer. My chevy 454 with 410 gears was a much better puller. Love the truck otherwise. I was made an offer on the hemi that I couldn't pass up. May have to trade up to the Cummins. I reasoned that for $5500.00 difference ,that I could by a lot gasoline, especially with diesel $.50 more per gallon around here. Hopefully the truck will loosen up with more miles! My son keeps telling me "I told you so"
  • dodgeram2dodgeram2 Member Posts: 5
    As a employee with cummins fuel system. Cummins controls the standards for EPA. As of now there is no other manufacture can keep up with cummins fuel system. they are developing an V-8 with better fuel mpg. The V-6 out works any Ford or chevy light truck diesel and better mpg.
  • dodgeram2dodgeram2 Member Posts: 5
    My brother in-law had major problems with his ford, the flex hose kept blowing off and oil everywhere. That seemed to me was alot of backpress from a restricted exhaust. never again drive a ford here.
  • lawinstructorlawinstructor Member Posts: 4
    Not sure what you have done to yours I have 06 mega cab with Hemi got 14.5 on the trip home from the dealer, 250 mile trip combo hwy and city. Local mileage is around 13 since I added 50 series flowmaster and duals with CIA and now get 17.5 on open road,
    satisfied with mine dont want the diesel
  • yellowjeepdadyellowjeepdad Member Posts: 2
    I just bought the 2007 Mega w/ Hemi and I am interested in what specific mods you made, products you bought, to improve the mpg of your truck.

Thanks for your reply!
    I have not completed all the mods that I intend to do but I put 31/2 inch dual exhaust cat back flowmaster 50 series muffler, one pipe in and 2 out both come out behind the rear wheels at an angle with stainless tips
    Volant CAI installed. I intend to use a throttle body spacer and programmer but waiting until I reach 12,000 miles on the vehicle before adding, just to see what it would be, My mechanic told me that the truck wont run to full performance until it reached the 12000 mile mark.
  • yellowjeepdadyellowjeepdad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.

Did you in fact see an increase in gas mileage when you added the CAI and exhaust system? If so, did you see a differance in the city mpg, highway or both?
  • inspector62inspector62 Member Posts: 1
    If you work for Cummins it seems you'd know it's not a V-6. It's an in line 6.

Do not buy the Mega Cab is you live in a climate where it gets very hot, such as down south. Florida, Texas, Socal, GA, etc.

The AC is very undersized. They used the same AC for the mega cab as was used in smaller cabs.

Dodge has admitted to a lot of complaints about this, but has yet to fix it.

I otherwise love the truck, but living in S. Fla it is just intolerable 4 or 5 months out of the year.
    not me...replied to wrong thread sorry
  • kcox7kcox7 Member Posts: 3
    AMEN brother! If you live in a warm to hot climate - DO NOT PURCHASE A DODGE MEGA CAB! I cannot say this enough!!! You will be so pissed off if you do. Dodge knows that it's a problem but won't fix it. If you have 80 degree weather then your probably ok and can get by but if you live where I do and it's 95, 100, 105 and sometimes can get to 110 in July and August then your flat out SCREWED! Even when the dealer fixed the broken recirculating door to A/C housing, it still did not produce sufficient air volume to the front or back vents. Not to mention the warm air coming through the vents. I drove the truck for 30 minutes and it still was not cold when I got home from work. As I said, I don't live at the beach but I live where alot of people live and that's in hot climate in the summer! If I use the A/C in the morning, late evening or when it's in the 80's then it's ok - But people use their A/C when it really gets hot not when it's cool or cold! Please somebody come up with a fix for the Dodge Mega Cab A/C since the Dodge engineers can't!
    kcox7
    If anybody totally disagrees with the above posted message then you must have been blessed with nothing short of a miracle and I need to talk to you.

Thanks,

kcox7
    Dont totally disagree but I live at the beach in eastern NC and yes, it does not have the air flow that the Durango (mine) has but after about 10 -15 minutes it will run you out of the truck. Try driving with the reat window down about 3 inches for a few minutes to clear the cab then make sure the ac is set to recirculate, that uses the inside air and recools it if you leave it to normal and try to cool it on an above 90 day it wont do it (most cars and trucks wont either) I am pleased with the MEGA and have upped mine to around 398hp and am totally pleased.
    I have tried lowering the windows for a little bit and even have opened the sun roof to help eliminate the extreme hot air inside although, this still will not get the air cold enough or keep the air cold inside the Mega Cab in hot summer weather. It also will not do the job even if I keep the recirculating fan on continuously. I have owned alot of cars, trucks and SUV's but never ever have I been so displeased with the "mega Cab A/C". Like I've said before, if you live in a cooler climates it's probably ok - but absolutely terrible in warm to hot climates. I thought that A/C was to be used in hot weather not cold weather. I'm glad to see that your pleased with it in your cool climate by the beach but when I purchased my truck they didn't make me sign a discloser stating that I had to live near a beach. Sorry if this comes over a little strong but if you lived where alot of people do live - I believe you would have an entire different outlook on the "plagued Mega Cab A/C. If you do alot of searching on the internet you will find countless owners that have this same problem and Dodge will not fix it! They just say "IT'S NORMAL". This is there way of saying it will cost too much to fix the nationwide problem.
  • sstgermainsstgermain Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mega Cab 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. My question is where can I find the axle ratio info and can I pull a 8000 lb empty weight 5th wheel with this truck. It is equiped with the towing package from Dodge. Any info would be greatly appretiated.

Steve
    If you're looking for the axle type, ratio, and size, there should be a label affixed to the inside of the glove compartment door. If you are looking for the axle load weight, that should be on a label found on the door pillar.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • megacabbermegacabber Member Posts: 1
    For towing a 5th wheel with a shortbed you'll likely need to get an extension kit for the trailer. "Popup" makes one that seems to be pretty popular. Check out their site to see what I mean. (Just search 'popup 5th wheel extension'). The problem you'll run into is that when you make a sharp turn with most 5th wheel or gooseneck trailers the corner of the trailer likes to crush your rear window. Not such a problem if you never turn, however if you plan on going in anything other than a straight line, you'll probably need one of these adapters. Also, If you try to get around this by mounting the hitch too far back in the bed, you'll affect your truck's ability to steer, another unfortunate problem with the shorty bed. Aaaah, these mega cabs are full of issues, but I still love mine!!!
  • zone4zone4 Member Posts: 46
    What year is your dodge truck? Has this problem been fixed on the 2009 mega cab or crew cab that you know of?
  • mckenzie101mckenzie101 Member Posts: 12
    I have the 6.7L Cummins with all the emmisions crap on it. When the warranty runs out I want to take this stuff off (don't tell uncle Sam). Right now I have 40K miles on the odometer and I'm getting 14-16 mpg. I want to get 20-26mpg like the old 5.9 Cummins. Anyone know how I can improve my mpg right now???
  • flash46flash46 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007.5 Mega cab 6.7L and live in Dam Hot, Texas. I don't seem to have the problem you are experiencing. I always keep a blue-point thermometer stuck in the front center vent, just something I've always done. The air coming out is a cool 36-38 degrees with decent flow and it cools relatively quick. Note: I also have a mild "legal" tint job. Is it possible something has been sucked up the intake on the passenger side? I had an 04' Ram dually 4 door and had no problems until a piece of cellophane got sucked into the return and was blocking flow over the ac coil which caused it to freeze up lowering flow even more. I would have to turn ac off and leave fan on for 15-20 minutes before it would thaw and start flowing again. Hope you find the problem/fix as no ac definitely sux.
    Some early build Mega Cabs had a problem with insufficient cooling capacity, and I think the fix was to increase the evaporator size as well as some internal design changes.

Dusty
  • southtx_hemi07southtx_hemi07 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi w/ 3.73 rear end. I live in the HOT South Texas area and I haven't had one problem with my truck since I purchased it brand new in December of 2006. As a matter of fact once I get it paid for next year I will be looking into a 2010/11 RAM 2500 mega cab 4x4 with the 390 HP 5.7 HEMI.

The mega cab has spoiled me with all the cab room. I installed a gooseneck hitch 3 months after I purchased the truck. I do have the 9" Pop-Up gooseneck extension and it works perfectly! I don't have to worry if the hitch will hit my tool box when I'm turning or going over a dip in the road.
This discussion has been closed.