Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    The insurance company RISK code is higher on the Mustang then GTO as well, thus the cheaper insurance on GTO. All the younger drivers cracking them and getting traffic violations. Same thing with F body which was even more expensive then Mustang to insure.

Insurance rates are also based on your driving record, violations/crashes, age and other factors too.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    When I was still shopping between the GTO and the Mustang, I checked insruance rates. Mustang's insurance was actually a little lower than on the GTO for me.

But, as you say, the rate is determined more by the driver, driving record, credit record and where you live as much as it is by the type of car you drive.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You said: The best part of this is that the HEAVIER GTO with the bigger 6 liter engine with 100 more horsepower gets the SAME EPA gas mileage as the Mustang, LOL!

But in the GTO forum, you said:

The only thing I have noticed is that the Auto 4 upshifts too early. It shifts into TOP 4th gear as low as 30mph or less. I think as low as 28mph. [sounds like CAGS to me]...

And here's the best part:

I must admit I have gotten the 21 EPA rated Highway gas mileage, this is the first car I ever got the # on. That was at a steady 65mph. I don't use it much on the highway. Mostly in town, stop lights etc. In town I get about 13 to 14, not the 16.

Umm... The Mustang GT is rated for 25MPG on the highway. You admitted that the best you've gotten is 21 on the highway. I can get 21 in the city with my GT. But you have an automatic, you say? Well with today's technology, you don't see much of a disparage between automatic equipped cars and the same car equipped with a manual; especially not a 4MPG difference.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Insurance rates are also based on theft rates. Perhaps Mustangs (in general) are in higher demand for parts than GTO's. Typically, vehicles with extremely high sales numbers are also amoung the most stolen. Given that more Mustangs are sold than GTO's, it follows (in my mind) that they would have higher theft rates.

Given all that, I don't know how relevant insurance rates are, unless one is trying to 'prove' some point regarding the cars in question and the type of people who buy them.

Isn't it enough to discuss/argue about the cars themselves without trying to make 'points' by characterizing the car owners?
    Isn't it enough to discuss/argue about the cars themselves without trying to make 'points' by characterizing the car owners?

Absolutely. And I, too, am confused as to how/why insurance rates ended up in the discussion.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    I can't even follow what point anyone is trying to make re these engines any more, but I thought I'd toss this into the conversation. The LS1 was developed in the mid-90's for the then upcoming C5 Corvette, and has absolutely no lineage to previous 350 Chevy engines. It was totally new, and I don't think it's even really 350ci. It's an excellent piece of eqpt, doesn't weigh much or take up much space, gets great gas mileage considering the power, and has proven very reliable. Every home should have one!
  • 442man442man Member Posts: 210
    ....."Absolutely. And I, too, am confused as to how/why insurance rates ended up in the discussion"....

The last time I checked this FORUM is Mustang (2005+) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO, so why can't insurance rated be included on both cars in the discussion? For some people that makes a big dif when they purchase similar cars. Chill out dude.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    ... and there's no need for flames here. I've removed a number of posts today due to disrespectful / off-topic remarks directed at other members. Express your opinions, but leave the personal remarks out of this discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Claires.....you need a Mustang convertible to take care of the "heat" issues..... :shades:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    LOL!

Given that we're in the throes of a Chicago heat wave/drought, I'll need one with the automatic sprinkler system option. :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Because it can affect your buying descision. I know that it was very expensive to insure Camaro/Firebrid's and that IMO is a big reason they stopped selling. People who bought them drove recklessly so the insurance went up.

Since the GTO is priced higher than the mustang, and designed with less extremes, the insurance should be lower. This could affect many people's buying descisions, plenty of us here understand that paying 1,000 - 2,000 a year for auto insurance basically reduces the influence of the 5K difference between these two cars.

I only wish the GTO was made here. At least the money eventually goes into the American economy.
    I'll need one with the automatic sprinkler system option.

Get the Mustang Convertible, put the top down, pray for rain.......
    Since the GTO is priced higher than the mustang, ..., the insurance should be lower.

That's not how it works. An expensive car is expensive to insure. If the Mustang had no claims history, it would be cheaper to insure than a GTO.
    Did anyone watch Fifth Gear on SPEED last night? They selected the Mustang as one of the greatest cars in the world!
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Good point regarding the LS1. Excellent peace of machinery.
    I wish my cable company offered SPEED. From what I understand, they have some great programs.

Do you know if you can buy episodes from then that included their review of the Mustang?
    I believe you can buy episodes online. They didn't do a review of it. It was just each editor had his picks of the worlds greatest cars. They spoke briefly about the original Mustang, but didn't do a tie-in of the new one. They had a lot of cars to cover, so each car didn't get more than a couple of minutes of mention.

On a side note, Tom Cruise has a sweet Highland Green GT350 (I think) in War of the Worlds. (Very good movie.) He's only driving it for about 5 seconds though; screaming around a corner.
  • sonicblucrisissonicblucrisis Member Posts: 52
    Off topic, I'll keep it short
    Speed does have some good programming, I especially like "American Muscle Car", "Dream Car Garage", and "My Classic Car". Unfortunately, their road tests look more like manufacturer infomercials than actual road tests. Sorry, no links on their web site (link title ) to purchasing videos. Beat up your cable company, they're missing a great demographic
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    And the V6 Mustang was quicker than the V6 F-body; less weight.

Until 99, the 3.8 V6 in the Mustang was 150hp. The 3800 in the F-bodies in 95 to 98 would have blown that away. Even the 3.4L would have probably at least kept up if not still beat it. As for less weight, yeah. About 250lbs lighter for the V6 versions of the Mustang.
    ...is tonight's debut of the GTO-R in the Grand Amerian Rolex series race from Daytona (beginning live at 8pm eastern on Speed).

What I can't figure out is why the GTO is in the GT class in the Grand American Rolex series (competing with a whole slew of Porsche GT3 Cup cars, BMW M-3's, and a lone Corvette) while the Mustang's compete in the GS class in the Grand-Am Cup series (a different series) against Porsche 996s, BMW M-3's, Cadillac CTS-V's, and Nissan 350z's.

All I can say is the GTO drivers better watch their mirrors since they'll be sharing the track with the much quicker prototype class (DP) cars. :surprise:

It sure would be nice if the GTO was in the same series with the Mustang..... :)
    Cable bites.

Get Satellite TV (I've got DirecTV although DishNetwork is supposed to be pretty good too).

Just my .02.....
    Had "Dish Network" for about 2 months. Whenever it rained, snowed, the wind blew.....no signal. Plus, in my neighborhood, the don't allow sattelite dishes, of any size (although I flaunted the regulation with no complaints).

Plus, when I bought an HD TV, they wanted me to buy about $600 more equipment to get HD broadcasts. I know I could have just invested in an antenna to get local channels in HD, but I've got to have HBO's Deadwood and Sopranos in HD (I need a life).

Dumped Dish went back to cable. I haven't watched a SD program since.
    Can we reply if we own neither?
    Haven't had the signal loss problem you've encountered (except in HEAVY rain).

Don't have HD so that's not a concern.

But I do have Speed Channel..... :shades:

Only thing I miss about cable is my cable modem. Unfortunately, I live so far out in the sticks I can get neither cable service nor DSL. :cry: :sick: :cry:
    The 350, which became Chevy's and eventually GM's, workhorse, proves that

The 350 is gone and has been since a few years ago in HD trucks, 1999 in light trucks and 1998 in f-bodies, etc. The current Gen-III V8s are all new. And the 5.7L LS1s and LS6s are 346cid. It's flat out a completely different engine. Like a Ford 4.6 compared to a 302.

LS2 can somewhat trace (and this is a very minute trace, like it's 4.4" bore spacing) itself to the 265 SB

I wouldn't consider bore spacing to be trace-worthy, but I guess that's just my opinion. Considering everything else is different, I don't see the purpose. I mean, you can't interchange any parts, so why does that similarity matter? It doesn't really.
    Thankgod it was imported, build quality is better then any other GM car sold, even better interior then Vette.

You know, I've been in a Vette (2001 Z06) and I've been in a GTO (2004) and I have to say, the only thing that really detracts from the C5's interior quality is the stereo head unit. If it had a higher end head unit, maybe something resembling a late model caddy, the interior would appear higher quality. The rest of the controls, the dash, etc. all seemed high quality to me (the C5 that is). The GTO's interior is pretty european. But those climate controls HAVE to go.
    But in the GTO forum, you said:

The only thing I have noticed is that the Auto 4 upshifts too early. It shifts into TOP 4th gear as low as 30mph or less. I think as low as 28mph. [sounds like CAGS to me]...

Well obviously since he has the auto, it's not CAGS. Though I guess the auto shift schedule sort of mimics what CAGS would in the manual. I don't think that's a problem, though. Never driven a GTO A4 but obviously if you want more acceleration, you push the gas more. Besides, most automatic cars I've driven (with the exception of my Caprice 9C1) seem to upshift too early and are geared to tall. With a 3.46 rear, the GTO obviously doesn't have a tall gearing problem.

Well with today's technology, you don't see much of a disparage between automatic equipped cars and the same car equipped with a manual; especially not a 4MPG difference.

I've already gotten to the bottom of this one. Historically, as far as cars with the LS1 are concerned (Corvette, F-body), GM always gives the A4 version a taller differential. Like 2.73. The M6 version would get 3.42. This allowed the A4 to reach similar highway numbers as the M6s in the Vette and f-body. But on the GTO, BOTH versions get 3.46. With a big 6 liter turning those high rpms on the highway (4L65-E has only a 0.7:1 OD ratio) with no displacement on demand, it gets the 21mpg rating...the car needs a 5-speed auto.
    I know that it was very expensive to insure Camaro/Firebrid's and that IMO is a big reason they stopped selling. People who bought them drove recklessly so the insurance went up.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but yeah, it's up there. I am not doing collision on either of my cars but I know that it costs about twice as much for liability for my 95 Z28 over my 93 Caprice. Comprehensive is also roughly 2x as much. Fortunately, even though I am only 24 with some tickets on my record, Progressive charges me under $700/6 months for two cars. That's not a bad deal.
    Not a particularly auspicious start last night in the Rolex series race from Daytona for the brand new GTO-Rs.

Three GTOs finished (?) dead last in class (26th, 27th, and 28th) and the last surviving GTO-R was punted into the wall by a DP class machine with around 15 laps to go. I think it was running around 12th in class when that happened; ended up in 20th place in class.

Those Porsche GT3 Cup and BMW M3 cars are strong.

Anybody know why the GTOs are in the Rolex series in GT class while the Mustangs are in the Grand Am series in GS class? And for some odd reason, the BMW M3 is in BOTH series (in GT class with the GTO-Rs and in GS class with the Mustangs). Sure would be nice if the GTO-R and the Mustang actually shared the same track at the same time.....
    Well, that's interesting. I would have expected a better performance considering how well the Holdens are doing in Australia. Did you watch it? Was there any commentary as to what the problem was? Was it tire or suspension problems, engine failure, drivers? I'm curious.
    I was expecting a bit better performance myself. I think the problems were mostly just some teething issues in getting the cars sorted out. I remember seeing one GTO-R going out very earlier (lap 2-3 perhaps) with a fairly catastrophic engine failure (at least I assume so; he was leaving a very wide, shiny oil streak on the pavement behind him and nearly spun the car 3 times with oil on the rear tires before he could find a track exit around on the backside). Not sure what happened to 2 of the other GTO's but I know the last one was the victim of a bonehead move by Scott Pruett in one of the DP cars towards the end of the race which put the last GTO-R into the wall on the front straight, tearing the RF suspension out of the car.

I look for them to do much better in the next race. Still don't know why the GTO's are in a completely different race series from the Mustangs.
    Thanks for the info. Wish I had Speed Channel. Glad I missed that race though.

It is curious why the GTO and the Mustang aren't in the same venue and BMW is in both. Hopefully the GTO works out the bugs before going head to head with the Mustang.
  • gtogmgtogm Member Posts: 31
    The new August issue of Automobile puts the 05 GTO, Mustang GT, and Charger R/T against each other. The GTO wins EVERY performance test against its rivals. 0-60/0-100MPH: (GTO- 5.1/11.8, Mustang-5.6/13.7, Charger- 6.1/14.6). 1/4 Mile: (GTO- 13.6@108, Mustang- 14.2@103, Charger- 14.6@100). Top Speed: (GTO- 158, Mustang- 148, Charger- 149). Peak Cornering: (GTO- .90g , Mustang- .89g, Charger- .84g). Braking 70-0MPH: (GTO- 164ft, Mustang- 165ft, Charger- 166ft). Peak Braking G-force: (GTO- 1.07g, Mustang- 1.04g, Charger- 1.05g). This was the THIRD CONSECUTINVE test that the GTO has SWEEPED the Mustang GT in every performance benchmark (also MPH Magazine test, and Speed Channel test). Gotta love this car

I'm sure we're still dead last in the "gotta have it" category, GM has to work on that, funny!
    BTW, the GM employee discount deal does NOT apply to the GTO, Corvette, or Medium duty Chevy/GMC trucks. They must be selling well enough then. Lutza at GM in a very recent interview claims GM is selling every 2005 GTO they can build.
    Why I picked the GTO. After having driven the GT (with leather and lots of options) there was just no comparison. The GTO sounded better, performed better, was more comfortable, and felt much more solid. At the time both cars were the exact same price with the $3000 "pound you in the rear" dealer markup on the Mustang.
    Before I Test drove the V8 stang I rented a V6 model. Went up to the Hertz counter and saw they were available, so I thought I'd check out this "gotta have it" thing I've heard so much about. Granted, the one I rented was a six cylinder, but I think I can still be fairly objective about it.

On the plus ide, the windows have the "express up" feature, which is pretty nice. Styling is a subjective thing, so I won't say much other than it's obvious many people like it since the dealers still aren't discounting the GT's.

On the other hand, the inside of the car is just not going to impress anyone who has spent time in a GTO. All the panels are flat, and the plastic they use is hard and cheap looking. The car seems to have more bulk than it actually has because the beltline is so high and the hood arcs up so much, giving the car a ponderous feel.

The tach and speedo are buried in two deep bowls, and it's difficult to get a quick sweep of them because they are separated too far apart. GTO's much easier to read.

It occurred to me that renting a GTO would be a very difficult thing to do. Having to suffer with a V6 and cloth seats is an indignity a GTO owner will never suffer.

It's easy to see why Ford is able to sell these so cheaply. In fact, I got the impression they're making a nice margin on them.

Didn't give me an "gotta to have factor"
    My buddy just bought a Mustang GT that he waited 3 + moths and paid Over MSRP for. When he sat in my GTO....his face said it all! HE could believe the GTO interior was that much nicer-comfortable!
    I myself thought my GTO would blend in on the road.. well I had two different truck drivers literally hold back traffic with their rigs to ask me about the car, 10+ different people rolled their windows down to ask how much it was and I had at least one person walk up to check it out at every gas station I stopped at on the ride home from NJ to Fla when I picked it up.. A sleeper its not! at least not in yellow!
    Where is the slalom results? I think the Charger might out-slalom the GTO.
    Lutza at GM in a very recent interview claims GM is selling every 2005 GTO they can build.

I always enjoy hearing things like this. When has a manufacturer NOT sold every vehicle it can build? EVER?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    There is a dealer down the road from me still advertising NEW 2004 Suzukis.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    If you have a lame car it will not sell. :cry: :P
  • gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    Haha, no - the yellow model is definitely not a sleeper!
    Mine is black - much more sedate looking but then it's a blast when you get blow some beemer's (or Mustang's) doors off at a red light.
    Enjoy your car!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    You should wait unitll the light turns green. :P
    It's fun to keep up with or out run $70k CLK AMG 55's. Motor Trend did a head to head comparo with 2004 GTO vs 2004 AMG. Benz is the better car, but the Pontiac, "holden" did very well against it for less then half the price.
    I always enjoy hearing things like this. When has a manufacturer NOT sold every vehicle it can build? EVER?

Pontiac did NOT sell all the 2004 GTO's it built yet! There are still some new lingering around
    Ditto!!! Every light...every time I come in the gate at work...people ask questions, stop and stare...point..
    For such an un-assuming car, it sure does turn some heads. Furthermore, I have taken the GTO down to various shows, "cruise-nights" parked it there and it has gotten as many if not more looks than the C6 and other vettes. People want to sit in them and when they find out that it has the LS2 they really seem to take to the car I have also gotten many people saying "nice car" as well. It stands out more then certain Mustang owners think.
    2005 Saleen supercharged Mustang is listed at $48,000 and sports 400hp and 425 torque. But a GTO with similar hpa and save $15k

A guy next to me had the NON-supercharged Saleen and said he paid nearly $45k with dealer markup, that guy got taken for RIDE! It' only has 10 or 20 more hp then regular GT in non S/C form?

I hope he got gold plated door panels and jar of vaseline for that deal.
    My experience is that Mustang hp has always cost more than Pontiac hp, going way back.

I wonder what the Saleen's top speed is?
    The car that is, not me. On the way in to work this morning I saw some open road and thought I would open it up and see what it would do. Got it up to 120mph before I caught up to traffic. I guess at that speed objects in front of you appear farther away than they are. Checked the tach and was a little over 3 grand. Lotta head room there.
This discussion has been closed.