Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...even the less-sporty V6 versions are loud inside and out. ...

:confuse:
    Did that person even drive the Mustang?? This is the quietest Mustang ever. Road noise is minimal and wind noise is virtually non-existent. (I've never driven the V6, though, so maybe it's different from the GT.)

On another note, does anyone remember the movie The Fifth Element? Do you remember those robot-alien things in the beginning of the movie that landed over the pyramid in the desert? Those things are what the rear seats of the GTO remind me of. I've been trying to put my finger on it for the longest time! It finally hit me a couple of days ago.
  • musclecars4memusclecars4me Member Posts: 47
    How many of those 45k V8 powered Fbody were the top of the line expensive Firehawk near $39k, SS $29k+, 35th anniv edtion SS $33k etc? Probably not many more if not less then the 12k to 18k per year $33k GTO's being sold.

I think it's more then just GTO owners not caring...any car prior to my GTO that I have ever bought or owned, I don't care how well it sells or how many people have it etc. If I like it that is all that matters. I don't care what anyone else thinks or follow the herd like some people..
    It is the quietest mustang ever, I agree, but maybe the writer was comparing it to the noise level of other V6 powered cars? I rented the V6 Mustang, there is a dif, faster then I thought, auto tranny. Pretty quick, but the engine/exhaust note was coarse/unrefined once you hit 4000rpm. For that alone I would only buy V8 GT.
  • kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    How many of those 45k V8 powered Fbody were the top of the line expensive Firehawk near $39k, SS $29k+, 35th anniv edtion SS $33k etc? Probably not many more if not less then the 12k to 18k per year $33k GTO's being sold.

First, a Firebird Firehawk is not the F-Body equivalent to the GTO. That was a specially modified version by SLP. The GTO is regular production line stuff. Second, according to my source, 11,200 2002 F-Bodies were Camaro SS, and nearly 15k of the 2002 Firebirds had the WS-6 ram air package. This kind of goes back to my earlier Fox mustang argument, except in reverse. The F-Body, despite "not selling well" seemed to sell well. So what changed 2 years later for the MY2004 GTO? I think we've been over the points before. We can say it doesn't matter, but I don't think that means the question can't be addressed.

We know the F-Body had poor interior materials and fit and finish (though it had been largely improved by 2002). But the cost of the models I cite was less. So in 2002 could it have been that interior quality was less of an issue and cost was more important? Probably. Could that have changed in less than 2 years? It may not have.
    What changed 2yrs later for the MY2004 GTO? It was NOT meant to ever be a F-body replacement and it was from the beginning a limited-low production import of 18k or less cars per year here over a 3yr period, 2004-2006. Unlike Fbody, GM is making $$ on GTO-Monaro-Vauxhaull platform. Sold 4x their orig prod estimate over their run. Still waiting list in England. Plant in Austriailia is maxed out, just like Mustang plant here is. In fact an extra 1500 or 2000 Monaro special edition was made because of people still wanting them. They were sold out before production began!! The car doesn't sell poorly as some here have pointed out.

As for the F body demise...
    The platform they (Fbody) were on (nearly 20 yrs old) was at the end of it's life-cycle and it would NOT meet more stringent 2003 Front end crash stds. The sales on the vehicle could not support the plant that the vehicle was in. Capacity to build 200k+ cars but only did 73k final year? One of GM’s worst performing plants. Also, it is a matter of economics from the assembly and design side. Significant costs come from the location of the plant (St. Therese, PQ, Canada) in terms of labor, taxation and physical distance from other GM supplier facilities. Price on the F body constantly rose, the top of the line models were approaching Corvette pricing !! Mustang V8 was cheaper, more bang for the buck.
    As for the F body demise...
    The platform they (Fbody) were on (nearly 20 yrs old) was at the end of it's life-cycle and it would NOT meet more stringent 2003 Front end crash stds. ...

I don't think that's correct. The F-body guys constantly ragged on the Mustang guys for having an ancient platform. Now you're saying the F-body platform was nearly as old and wouldn't meet new crash standards? How is that possible if the F-body platform was proclaimed to be superior to the Mustang's yet the Mustang's inferior platformed endured on through the 2004 model year (meeting 2003 crash standards)? Guess the old Fox platform wasn't so inferior after all. ;)
    It was NOT meant to ever be a F-body replacement

I know but I think that was what the market wanted!
    The F-body guys constantly ragged on the Mustang guys for having an ancient platform

I am not real familiar with this but if I had to guess, the only leg the F-body guys would have to stand on would be that the platform was moderately revised for the 4th gen (MY1993). New front suspension and the platform was generally stiffer. I dunno if the Mustang had experienced a revision along those lines during Fox production.
  • mojojojo24mojojojo24 Member Posts: 24
    "The GTO offers 18" wheels optional, don't think Mustang does! GTO comes with 17" std."
    You can order 18s (fan blades or "Bullit") on the GTs. Availability is spotty right now, especially on the Bullit, as they're late availability anyway, The tires will be P235-45/18s as opposed to P235-55/17s.
    "Hearing Freddy Mercury sing that seems a bit hollow, though given his orientation."

He was an equal opportunity kinda guy, actually.
    "Did that person even drive the Mustang?? This is the quietest Mustang ever. Road noise is minimal and wind noise is virtually non-existent. (I've never driven the V6, though, so maybe it's different from the GT.) "

I own a GT.

It's a little louder inside than the GTO as far as exhaust, but I think the GTO has more tire noise and wind noise. YMMV.

They're both a little louder than most cars, for that matter. Not obnoxious, but hard to carry on a conversation over the road, exhaust, and stereo if you're going at speed. Nothing too bad if you're used to performance cars, but if you're used to something like a Camry or Accord, then I can see where someone would be annoyed.

Coming from an F-150, the wind noise on either of them is non-existant.
    I never said F body platform was as old as Fox Mustang platform, it wasn't. Fox was 3 yrs older. However I read somewhere that it (Fbody) would not meet newer front crash stds for 2003 or 2004. Something in the front end. I never said the F body was superior to Mustang Fox either. Thats open for debate. Didn't F body handle better? Just guessing I don't know.

I read that the Fox body had to be replaced/redone because of where it's gas tank is located for rear crash protection stds It wouldn't have passed for 2005 or 2006. That is why they re-located Monaro Gas tank to pass rear crash stds. However the Monaro will get a NEW Chassis for 2007-2008
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    So, what happens when a 19-year old kid is test driving a Holden Monaro HSV Clubsport and goes a leeeeetle too fast coming back to the dealership....

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/newphotos/weird/weird569.shtml
    It's not a Monaro. It's a 4 door version. See this link....

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1796/printArticle.html

Entertaining none the less.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    There was a guy coming from an Accord who posted in the Mustang thread and was complaining about the GT's noise. I mentioned that if he's wanting the GT, and he's expecting something silent, he's missing the purpose of the car.

I did hear the Freddy had a certain duality about him.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    there are reports on the net today about ford being ready to produce a hybrid mustang V8 that gets 37 mpg city. i'm a GM/goat guy all the way but i think that is awesome news if true, and another example of Ford beating GM. i don't quite believe the 37 mpg number, of course. but hey, a hybrid mustang will be able to drive in the cali carpool lanes! woo hoo. of course, if the cali govt stooges really wanted to decrease pollution and decrease fuel consumed, hybrids would be *prohibited* from the carpool lanes - they get better mpg in stop-and-go traffic!

maybe the whole mustang hybrid thing is a prank. i cannot find a source for it. the web site listed on the report i got doesn't even exist. but hey, i hope it's true. as a GM guy i say "GO BLUE OVAL" if this is true! oh yeah!
    From what I have read the GTO LS2 was designed to be retrofitted with displacement on demand (DOD). New oil pressure manifold and new wiring. 8% increase in fuel economy (ONLY 2 or 3 MPG) taking into account that your driving style is within the paramaters for the system to operate. Not worth the money in the long run to add it to a vehicle. That is all I can remember.
    After driving both cars, many V6 Rental Mustangs on business trips and test drives of the GT, is that the GTO is the more quieter, comfortable, luxurious muscle car, IMO. Reminds me of Mercedes/BMW. GTO is the poor mans BMW. I can have a totally ok conversation in it. The only sound in the GTO that might get annoying for some, Cam-Accord driversI is the twin pipes of the LS2. I love that sound.

What I noticed is that inside the car the GT's exhaust is louder/better, but OUTSIDE the car the GTO has a louder-meaner-deeper note to it's exhaust then GT. Hear it further away, IMO GT sounds nice also!
    I can certainly attest to the exhaust note on the GTO. Had a nice red '05 pull up next to me at a light yesterday; I'll admit I had to drop my window so I could get a nice earful. Sweet.

Now why can't my Celica sound like that? :blush:
    "Now why can't my Celica sound like that?"

It's missing half its engine. ;)
    Well, given the displacement disparity, it's actually missing about 2/3 of it's engine. It only SOUNDS like it's missing 1/2.

Actually, it's sounds pretty good over 6k rpm. :) It's just the 0-6k part that blows.... :cry:
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    ok, the reports weren't really on the net. a coworker made up the whole thing and posted it to the company "cartalk" newsgroup because he was annoyed with the never-ending hybrid/diesel/gas-guzzler debates. apparently this guy is even more calendar-challenged than me. oh well, it was funny, sort of. on the serious side, honda has in fact started the tradition of using hybrids to increase performance rather than necessarily increasing mpg: honda accord hybrid.

and i think it is a serious question, whether ford or gm will get a serious hybrid to market first - and which will get hybrid-tech into a muscle-car first. i bet it WILL happen. PEACE !
    rorr....what did you decide to buy? Mustang GT? RX8?
    Well, when gas hit $3 a gallon, I decided to keep driving my Celica for a bit longer. For all intents and purposes, both the Mustang and the RX8 would probably be about equal in terms of mileage.

Haven't driven the Mustang yet, but after my drive in the RX8.....well, it was nice and handled sweet but I think I'd like a bit more oomph off the line, particularly for the amount of gas I'd be burning.

The kids may just have to learn how to get in/out of the back of the Mustang. Besides, I hear Ford may issue a new Bullitt edition next year in my favorite color. It would look nice in the garage next to my Ivy Green '66 Fastback. :shades:
    rorr...totally understand. For what it's worth, the Mustang GT only burns "regular". I'm getting about 22-24 MPG on the highway and about 17-18 MPG "in town". Not Prius terriroty, but not bad considering what the car can do.
  • kbobe67kbobe67 Member Posts: 23
    Damn, it's good to have two (maybe three with the Charger) American cars in the modern marketplace that inspire heated rivalries. How long has it been since Ford guys and GM guys had anything worth arguing about. Do you think there's a searing battle going on between the Camry owners and the Accord owners? Doubtful.

I have an 05 GTO. The Mustang wasn't on the shopping list for me. Without a doubt the 'Stang can look good, particularly in the right color and in full performance trim, but there's too many secretaries and college girls buzzing around in the skinny six cylinder jobs to make the car something special. For me it dilutes the brand. Probably why you can't buy a watered down Corvette. The Mustang also strikes me as a very "safe" choice, which is not always good. It takes major cajones to lay down 30 large for a quirky, limited production Aussie import. Maybe it takes cajones to buy a Mustang. I just think they're probably smaller, less impressive cajones,

Now, in fairness, I didn't begin this quest looking for an American muscle car. My criteria was simply that the car had to get me in the gut. I figured there'd be four years of payments, and I didn't want to be bored with the thing by Year Two. I tried a $50,000 Acura RL, a nice TL, the TSX, the RX-8, Mazda 6, the BMW 3 series. Nada. The only car that really got to me was the GTO.

Once I realized I was destined for a mid-life crisis car, I did briefly flirt with the idea of checking out the Mustang, since the cars so clearly compete with one another, but the interior for me was a deal-breaker. The dash seemed like Mattel's version of what a retro Mustang interior would look like. Overall I like the body, especially the nose. The rear lamps seem a little oversized but generally I think the Mustang is a good looking car. Obviously the motoring public thinks so too, which is why there's six of them at every intersection. I'm sure the GT is powerful and fast, and if that car had pushed any of my buttons I'm sure I'd be thrilled to death to own and drive one. The GTO just got to me first.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to have somebody drop off an 05 GT and an 05 GTO and leave them both for six months. At the end of the six months check the odometers and see which one spent more time parked. I'd bet you'd see some defections on both sides.
  • powerstangspowerstangs Member Posts: 1
    ....especially to those whose attention I don't want!
  • oldredrider929oldredrider929 Member Posts: 2
    considering buying a gto for the same reasons you mentioned.
    how have you enjoyed it since you purchased it?
    would you buy it again?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wanted to give you guys that are considering a GTO my 1 year update.
    Bought my '04 Quicksilver M6 11/30/04 exactly 1 year ago today.

So far I have put the '05 hood on and installed Ronal R41 18" wheels with BFG KDW tires.
    The tires really transform the car allowing quicker turn in and the ability to hammer it off the line without as much wheel spin.

Just rolled over 16,000 miles a couple of days ago.
    So far I have had the clutch pedal busing greased due to a really annoying squeak and the all 4 rotors turned because they were warped at about 11,000 miles.
    I have also had the speedometer do the 200 mph thing while stopped and a false coolant light come on 2-3 of times.
    Turning the car off and on again will clear this.

I absolutley love this car. it is the best GM car I have owned and along with my '04 cadillac SRX has had the fewest problems.

It feels well screwed together with no creaks after 16,000 miles and that is with 40 series tires on 18" rims.
    The leather is very high quality and the seats are extremely comfortable.

This is really a great car. I feel like I am driving a car that is much greater than the sum of it's parts.
    If I could afford it I would be another one and keep my '04.
    ...will supposedly feature a new sport coupe based on GM's Zeta-lite chassis with a Corvette drivetrain to compete more directly with the Mustang. Though it can't use the "Camaro" name, apparantly the styling would evoke 1st gen. Camaro (or possible the late '60s Chevelle).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=108247

Comments?
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    Know this is off-topic for this board, but do you, or anyone else here, think GM is more likely to make this uopcoming Zeta-lite car now that the Challenger seems to be a go? If there wasn't going to be a Challenger do you think this Zeta-lite concept would be just that, a concept?

And what does this spell for the U.S. Monaro / GTO? Will this car move upmarket to truly compete with the BMW M3, G35s and such, or be as it is now: not really competing with the Mustang but kind of; not really competing with the M3, G35, but not really?
    Personally, I think GM was a surprised at the huge success of a retro-styled Mustang and wants a (bigger) slice of the pie. No, I don't think the Challenger was the kick in the pants GM needed since (apparently) the Challenger concept will be unveiled at the SAME TIME as the new GM concept.

Interesting question though regarding the future of the GTO and (perhaps) it moving up market to the $33-35k niche with a potential Zeta-lite coupe in the $25-30k spot. I think this is a definite possibility (and also to distance itself from some of it's own stablemates).

A side question: would a Zeta-lite coupe (perhaps weighing 300lbs less than a GTO) use a Corvette drivetrain since this would canabalize sales from the GTO? Would a Zeta-lite coupe NEED the Corvette drivetrain to compete with either the Mustang or upcoming Challenger?
    True, GM may not have needed the Challenger kick in the pants to have the Zeta-lite concept. But I do think with the Challenger being announced to come out in the '08 - '09 time frame, this may have been a kick to GM to get something going on an actual vehicle.

A side question: would a Zeta-lite coupe (perhaps weighing 300lbs less than a GTO) use a Corvette drivetrain since this would canabalize sales from the GTO? Would a Zeta-lite coupe NEED the Corvette drivetrain to compete with either the Mustang or upcoming Challenger?

I think it should have a Corvette drivetrain, maybe as an option. It's pretty much the same thing Chevy did with the F-Body, A-bodies, B-bodies, giving them either a detuned or same version of the Corvette mills. I think it would need the LS2 engine to compete with the GT500 (which the convert is a freakin' tank. You see the weight on that thing, damn near 4K lbs., check out latest MT) and the Challenger Hemi. But I think it should have at least the 5.3L. OR they could go with the 4.8L/5.3L. I mean the 4.8L would be ok, if they pump it up a little. But definitely at least 5.3L. Kind of like the 283/327 or 305/350 days.

I'm not sure if it would cannibalize Monaro/GTO sales, since most buyers seem to like the attributes of the vehicle: somewhat large size, weight, back seat, idie rear. Especially if the vehicle moves up into the mid-$30K niche and GM actually markets the car to that segment, not just saying once or twice that's the buyers they're going after.

Which leads to a question to you and the board. With so much to-do in past posts about the indie rear in the Monaro/GTO is automatically superior and Ford's use of a solid-rear axle in the Mustang makes it somehow less of a car, how would you feel if GM used a solid rear in the zeta-lite? Would that be a negative to the vehicle? :confuse:
    Corvette drivetrain as on option (perhaps as a 'SS' edition). Personally, I think the use of the 5.3L would be ideal for the 'base' V8 edition.

Hmmmmm, the old IRS vs. solid rear debate again.....

Weeeeeeellll, like the Mustang (and the GTO for that matter) it's all in the execution. Would the solid-rear be cheaper? Sure, and that would be a benefit to keep the car in the $25-$30k market. Would it be a detriment? Well, like the Mustang, I think it all has to do with how well executed the design is. I think if GM could bring a reasonably quick, good handling 300hp classically styled V8 coupe to the market for $25k, buyers won't give a rats if it has an IRS or not.

Just my take.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Well, if Nissan could make a sporty rear driver for like 15 grand in 1989 (240SX/Slivia with multilink IRS) why can't GM make one for 25 grand 15 years later?? And the 350Z for 27 grand now? :lemon:
    "...with multilink IRS) why can't GM make one for 25 grand 15 years later??"

I don't see any reason why GM COULDN'T do it (offer a 300hp retro-styled coupe for $25k with IRS). All I'm saying is that, IMO, it is unnecessary for that market.

Compare the number of folks who didn't buy a Mustang simply because it had a solid rear with the number of folks who either don't care or who felt that the Mustang handled and drove quite well despite the solid rear. Personally, I don't think that the beancounters with Ford regret making their decision to go with a solid rear end.

That being said, IF GM were able to bring a 300+hp RWD coupe styled after a '68 Camaro AND an IRS to market for $25k, they would certainly steal a bunch of sales from Ford. I just don't see (IMO) an IRS as being a necessity to sell a ton of units.
    Exactly the same thinking here on all points:

LS2 6.0 for SS,
    5.3L for the base V8,
    maybe the 3.6HF for a base model,
    execute the rear end well and it doesn't matter
    5 spd auto/man, 6 spd for an "SS", or 6 spd man for both V8s

Think that should cover everything in terms of drivetrain.
    Yeah, GM should just hire us..... :P :blush:
    Naw, I don't think they would...we make too much sense! ;)
  • 05goat05goat Member Posts: 2
    I think that the 2005 gto is a good looking car. Pontiac could of made the car more "muscle car looking", but i like the car. The Gto will beat a 05 mustang..the new msuatngs are too big and too pricey.
  • 05goat05goat Member Posts: 2
    hey can anyone answer my question? Who many miles a gallon does the 05 gto get "in town", for anyone that ones a gto..? Thanks..
  • starrbuckstarrbuck Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting about 15. With only about 300 miles on the car, it's not broken in yet, and I'm going easy on it.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    The GTO is dead after the 2006 model year. Pontiac's main focus is on a RWD sedan to take the place of the current Grand Prix (which dies after 2008 MY) and compete better against the Charger (I know of two former GTP owners who just bought Chargers, one an R/T, the other an SRT-8). Pontiac may see a RWD coupe in 2009 or 2010, but with all that's going on at GM, nothing is set in stone.

The new Camaro "concept" that will be shown at NAIAS (leaked pictures of a prototype are out there) will have IRS, so no need to debate if it's necessary - it will have it (so, supposedly, will the Mustang, by MY2009). Speculation says the base engine will be the 240 hp 3.9L engine (as found in the G6 GTP and Impala LTZ, among others), with 5.3L and 6.2L mills as the rumored V8 options. Don't expect it to be the LS2 as that engine goes bye-bye around 2008 as the St. Catharine's engine plant is scheduled to close...

GM has fast-tracked their RWD vehicles (much like they did their trucks earlier this year), and, unless public reaction to the Camaro concept is negative, it's a shoo-in for production. Expect it to fit into the 22-32k market, depending on engine and options - more closely competing with the Mustang. Also expect it to have a more Mustang-sized back seat than the larger GTO.

Chevy is having several hundred Camaro enthusiasts at the press introduction event... a sign of what is to come. Also, this project has been in the works for years (GM has wanted a RWD sports coupe since the death of the Camaro/Firebird, the Monaro/GTO was just a stopgap for Pontiac) - if anything, the success of the Mustang pushed this to the front burner.

There is still some debate about what platform the production car will be on... the protoype looks like Sigma from the leaked CAD drawings, but the rumor is that the production car will be on the Aussie VE/Zeta platform (which does use some Sigma suspension components). I guess we'll find out in a couple of years...

--Robert
  • blackflag3blackflag3 Member Posts: 29
    If the 06 is the last of the GT0's be darn glad that you have one. This can only mean it will increase in value in the future. A collectors item for sure.
    There is not a regular US production performance car on the road for the money any quicker or better made than the 400hp GTO including the SRT-8 Charger at this point in time.
    Guess GM was looking at my and rorr's back and forth a few posts back. :P

Thanks for the update hammen2
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    While I agree the GTO is a great car, I take issue that "there is not a regular US production performance car on the road for the money any quicker or better made than the 400hp GTO including the SRT-8 Charger at this point in time." Most of the magazine reviews have been very close between the S197 Mustang GT and the Pontiac GTO. I will definitely say the GTO bests the Mustang in interior styling, back seat room, and acceleration (just barely though). The Stang, however, has the lead in exterior styling, transmission performance, and handling and trades rear seat room for trunk space.

Based on Edmund's average cost numbers when I bought my Mustang GT, I saved $6,000+ over a similarly apportioned GTO. Granted the GTO has 100 more hp, but it's greater curb weight negates most of that power. With the extra money I saved, I've spruced up the interior and added extensive Eibach and Vortech upgrades which well exceed a stock GTO.

I'm not saying the Mustang is the unequivocal winner. The GTO and Mustang are both great cars for very different reasons. The "sleeper" GTO is definitely more stealthy and more collectible/less desired, but it is by no means the end all, be all of US production performance cars.
  • coolhandlukecoolhandluke Member Posts: 34
    After you have had a little "break in" period I would suppose you should see around 17+ MPG in the city.
  • vxr04vxr04 Member Posts: 1
    got an 04a4 gto no mod all stock except superchips killed the governer raced with a ninja hit 166mph without a sweat heavy car won't fly as you stated. I've noticed at those speeds the steering wheel stiffens witch is good. control is very reliable and with its stealthy design it cuts thru air like rocket and I kept pulling. no BS just a happy costumer
  • ronjumpsronjumps Member Posts: 6
    My 10 cents...

I own a 2001 Mustang GT 121,000 miles...And while I love the power. It is not the most reliable car I ever had. It is in the shop right now. It has had three trannies in it, two front racks, the leather ripped at 60,000 miles....ect.

Still, I like the car. Even looked at the 05's just the other day. Took one for a drive and liked it. Seemed light and very fast. The interior looked cheap. Not terribly cheap, but not really nice either. The upgrade made it look better, but not much.

Good points...Well it looks kinda cool. Its pretty fast and FELT fast. Its about 25,000 fully loaded for me.

Bad points...Well it looks cool, but so did my 2001 and I am sick of seeing 3 at almost every stop light. I think the new body style will suffer the same fate. Also, it looks pretty much the same as the v6...Yes, I know that YOU & I can tell the difference, but the average idiot on the block cannot. I had to explain to my parents and a few of my friends the differences...One guy thought I had the "Cobra" version. The average idiot cop also seems to like the look of the new GT.

I almost can give the nod to the Mustang GT for my personal driveability.

I also drove the GTO. It seemed heavier, and not as "quick". It did seem MUCH nicer inside and out. I think it is a higher class of car. I think some of the folks on here saying its like a BMW, or Benz...Might not have ever been in a BMW or Benz. Its nicer than the Mustang, but not nearly as nice as any 325 I have been in for fit and finish.

Good points...Well its a much more "Adult" car. It is refined and if I buy it I will not have 18 year olds driving 19k dollar V6 versions of it slapping "Cobra" emblems all over it acting like an idiot making cops and insurance companies look at me. Also it seems according to the numbers to be about the same speed as a Stang, and with the same economy.

Bad points...Well working the numbers both ways, it will cost me more. I am looking at a new 2005 GTO for about 28K vs a 2006 Mustang for 25K.

The Mustang "feels" faster, but the numbers say the GTO actually gets the performance nod. And the GTO is above the Mustang in the "Comfort" factor and the knowledge that while it may not turn heads....I will not see one at every stop light.

Most reviewers give the nod to the Mustang based on "Style"....Well thats great, but I think the style fades with so many out there and with so many of those being V6's it makes me give the nod to the GTO.

Two questions remain.

I HATE the over 70 warning on the GTO, and the two hour "Rest" chime sucks. Can I turn those off?

Does the GTO need high test vs the Stangs regular?
    It has had three trannies in it, ...

Who you ride around in it is no indication of your Mustang's reliability. :surprise:

Does the GTO need high test vs the Stangs regular?

Yes.
This discussion has been closed.