Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• dadecountydadecounty Member Posts: 7
    "cobragt"??? is that when you buy a GT and then put the snake emblem on it that you got at the swap meet?
    One more thing, give me 19 year old Dwight Gooden wearing all white shoes and throwing 100 mph rising fastballs in the 1984 MLB All-Star Game. Thanks.
  • cobragtcobragt Member Posts: 95
    My IQ just dropped for reading your last 2 posts. Remind me again WHAT you are talking about?

As far as the snake emblem, I own a 03 Cobra. What's your point?
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Funny, I thought we were talking about the GTO and Mustang, but yeah (let me see 4.6 -.5 = 3.9), if you show me a 3 second car, I have no problem admitting "I just got smoked".

hahahahahahaha

That's hilarious! :P SOMETHINGS obviously been smoked....

Car and Driver got a 0-60 of 4.8 for the GTO, 5.1 for the Mustang. Pontiac's OWN WEB PAGE for the GTO (where it says "click to see how we beat the competition) gives a time of 6.00 for the GTO and 6.18 for the Mustang (both auto equipped cars).

3.9 seconds for the GTO? Stock? Wake up from your dream before you make a mess.....

Yes, there's always somebody faster out there. Yes, I know we were only talking about the GTO and the Mustang. But your response indicates you don't care if another faster car 'smokes' you, only that you can 'smoke' a Mustang.

And the fact that you've admitted that you believe manhood is centered around 0-60 times is FASCINATING.....
    Hey genius, I wasn't using the 3.9 second number for the GTO. I definately think a 5 tenths of second difference between the 2 cars(GTO and Mustang) is realistic though. But, hey, with 3 tenths of a second difference (let's do this SLOOOWLY 5.1 - 4.8 = 0.3 sec), you still got SMOKED. Your right I don't care if there are $50k - $500k cars out there that are faster.

And the fact that I go 0-60 in less than 5 seconds for UNDER $30k, yes, that is Fascinating...
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    What was that, like ONE time the GTO made a 4.8 0-60? You guys keep comparing the GTO's best time EVER to the GT's average time. What gives?

BTW, at a lousy 60MPH, 3 tenths of a second isn't very much distance at all. A whopping 26.4'. About 1.5 Mustang lengths. Even less if you use GTO lengths. That's far from a "smoking." Getting "smoked" would be the distance between a Ford GT and a GTO. Or maybe even the distance between an '04 GTO and an '05 GTO (which the Mustang GT would be smack dab in the middle of the two.
    we can debate the accuracy of the 0-60 sec times all day (you think the Mustang GT's AVERAGE time is 5.1??- who's really smoking something)- I have no desire to and this whole discussion is starting to bore me.

Bottom line, and no matter how you want to twist the truth, every Mustang owner knows this, THAT LS2 WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT ALL DAY, PERIOD. The Number #1 Most Important Thing that people talk about and remember when it comes to "Muscle Cars" is WHO's GOT THE GOODS. As for the rest of the BS and talknig about cars (The GT) that costs twice as much - who cares. Again, I thought this post was about '05 GTOs and Mustangs.

Like I said, the whole argument from you Pony Pirates is TIRED. If any one wants to spit cold hard facts about LS2's, 400 lbs of torque and the reason you can't even put 5.0 (sad, ain't it?) on the side of your cars anymore, let me know.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    there are 2005 GTO leftovers sitting on lots right now for around 28k

Consumers vote with their dollars. There are no leftover Mustang GT Premiums w/ manual sitting around anywhere, and when you do find one, good luck getting it at less than MSRP. :shades:
    Wow, dude you are getting way, way lame here. Either you are some dilusional old man, or some immature teen.

You tell me WHERE I EVER said that my GT was a Cobra? Ask anyone here. I never said, nor hinted nor clamied that to be the case. I said I own a 2003 10th Ann. Ed. Cobra, and a 2005 GT. If there is one thing I hate, its people who buy a car, and make it look like something its not. I'm proud to have a GT that has extra power due to modifications.

I think anyone here will agree that you are going out of line with comments like that. Totally uncalled for, and doesn't even make sense.
    "Bottom line, and no matter how you want to twist the truth, every Mustang owner knows this, THAT LS2 WILL RIP YOUR GUTS OUT ALL DAY, PERIOD."

Trying to define whether a 0.5 second advantage or a 0.3 second advantage qualifies as a 'smoke' is tedious. Likewise with trying to define 'rip your guts out all day'. Boring.

Let's review a few facts:

The previous generation F-bodies had a performance advantage over the same generation Mustangs.

The previous generation F-bodies are no longer with us.

The current generation GTO has a performance advantage over the current Mustang.

The current generation GTO is soon to be history.

Do you see a pattern?

At what point will the GM fans realize that most consumers DON'T CARE about a 0.3 second (or even a 0.5 second) disadvantage in 0-60? At what point will GM fans realize that we don't all have our own personal little John Force living inside of us with a rabid desire to 'smoke' everybody?

Just because you may lie awake nights, trembling in cross-eyed ectasy at the thought of how many people you left cowering in the wake of your mighty GTO that day, doesn't mean that everybody else is sharing the same fantasy. Get a grip; or perhaps loosen it.....
  • keepinonkeepinon Member Posts: 10
    With all due respect, can you spell PEAK OIL?
  • gto05gto05 Member Posts: 4
    If your a ford person the mustang is your car. Your lucky the way the mustang is priced, more people can afford it. Now my 16 year old daughter loves the mustang and I thought of getting her one. Now she really loves my red 05 GTO with it's chrome wheels, air intake and corsa cat back, but I would never consider letting her drive a 400 + hp GTO.
    Then better not let her behind the wheel of a GT either. There's so much testosterone oozing out of that machine, she's liable to join the Marines.
    If I bought her a new mustang, it wouldn't be a GT. AT 16 the 6 cyl would do.
    Are you sure you want to buy her a Mustang at all...? I mean, she might loose her manhood? Isn't that right dadecounty?
    I'm sure. The 6 cyl.
    1) It's nice looking.
    2) It's safe.
    3) It's what she wants.
    4) It's affordable.
    5) And I'll get to drive it when I service it. ha ha.
    Your 16 year-old daughter should just be thankful she has a dad who is buying her a brand new car, let alone one she wants, let alone a Mustang. I worked for my first car, a used Volvo, and every single one ever since. :shades:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    and other manly things... allow me to inject a little estrogen into this discussion in hopes of lowering the flames. Please remember that this topic is not about YOU -- it's about your cars (or the cars you wish you had). Insults and comments about each others' intelligence or other personal attributes will be removed. Thanks.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans
    imageDrive on over and see me!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

No, I'm sure you are sure, I meant nothing against you. I agree with pony pirate, she should be very thankful. I know I would be. You must be a pretty cool father.

And yes, I'm sure you will enjoy it when you take it for service. Make sure you do it lots, ha. Tell her..."Oh, umm the car needs this today...think I need to take it." lol.

Hope she enjoys it.
    ... If any one wants to spit cold hard facts about ... the reason you can't even put 5.0 (sad, ain't it?) on the side of your cars anymore, let me know.

This ought to be interesting. Let's hear it. I want to know; especially since the 4.6 makes way more power from the factory than the 5.0 did.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    I had a brand new 87' GT and it was a fast car with 225 hp and 300 lb ft torque, it was an auto and I believe it was 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds and the quarter @ 14 seconds. My 06 GT say's you best be paying attention when you mash the gas. The Rpm's on an overhead cam engine are much higher hense the hp increase. One other thing, the 87 had an 85 mph speedo (what were they thinking)I remember trying to interpolate the RPM's and the needle position to get real speed! That 87 was very areo and was very stable at high speeds.
  • dan1dan1 Member Posts: 76
    I had an 87 LX 5.0 with a 5 speed and I think they were tested at more like 6.5 seconds 0-60 but I still think that car left the line harder than my Bullitt. That car sure was fun and so is the Bullitt!
  • whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    Wow, you guys were pretty busy there for awhile, although sometimes a little off topic. In replying to some of the responses to my previous post #1901, I will post factual information from my personal experiences with regard to the GTO vs. Mustang GT comparisons.

First, I am not partial to any auto manufacturer. Am I proud to own a 2005 GTO? You bet! I would be proud to own a 2005 Mustang GT also. I chose the GTO over the Mustang GT for three basic reasons, (1) the GTO has noticeably better acceleration than the Mustang GT, (2) the interior of the GTO was much more pleasing to me than the Mustang GT (the GTO is a daily driver for me, so this was important), and (3) the perceived value for the money I spent (when I purchased my GTO, the price was comparable between the two when the Mustang GT was comparably equipped with the GTO - GTO $28,900, Mustang GT $29,000). Yea, I don't know where people are getting up to a $3K - $5K difference in the price of these two vehicles, but these were the actual lowest negotiated prices that I got from the four dealers (two Ford and two Pontiac) that I visited.

Second, as far as dependability, I have not heard of any serious issues with the 2005 GTO. I have 3,300 miles on mine and, so far, this car has been completely trouble free. I also have a friend who has a 2005 Mustang GT. While he has slightly under 10,000 miles, his car has been in the shop three times (clutch, rough idle and squeaks/rattles). I have driven and rode in his car enough to know that it is not as quiet as my GTO (it has several squeaks and rattles inside and out that have not been able to be fixed). The Mustang's ride is not as smooth and the Mustang seems to have an understeer problem in hard cornering compared to the GTO. If anything, the GTO tends more to oversteer in hard cornering which can be quite fun to correct with a punch of the throttle.

Third, as far as gas mileage, I consistently get in the 19's driving approximately 50/50 highway/city with my foot in it quite often. I have gotten as high as 25 cruising 80 mph on the highway. My friend's Mustang GT consistently gets in the 18's and he claims there is no way I can get 25 cruising 80 mph on the highway (so I assume he has never gotten 25 out of his Mustang).

Fourth, as far as performance (and I know there are a wide variety of definitions for performance), I consider acceleration to be a significant performance issue. We have a local dragstrip in KC where local guys can bring their daily drivers or whatever and compete. My best 1/4 mile time is 13.12 @ 107.9 mph. My friend's best time in his Mustang GT is 13.82 @ 102.1 mph. We have raced head-to-head several times. I have beaten him giving 6 car lengths. In my opinion, beating someone in the 1/4 mile after giving a 6 car length headstart is getting pretty close to "blowing their doors off".

I know a lot of people look at the GTO and say it has been a failure for GM. Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to blame the GTO when the UAW will only allow GM to import a very limited number of these vehicles into the United States. There is absolutely no GM advertising dollars that have been spent on the GTO. Have you ever seen a television advertisement for the GTO? There isn't even a glossy brochure that you can pick up for the GTO. I know people that didn't even know GM was making the GTO again. Perhaps if the GTO was assembled in the USA by the UAW and GM would have put up the advertising dollars that Ford has for the Mustang, it could have been a much bigger prize for GM. I bet you could sell a few of the GTO's in Australia for less than $30K, considering the Monaro (Australian GTO) sells for about twice that amount (and doesn't even come with the 6.0 LS2 as an option).

Yea, I'm sure the Mustang GT owners are pretty happy to say Bye Bye to the GTO in this forum because they sure can't say Bye Bye to the GTO on the streets.
  • vppreachervppreacher Member Posts: 72
    The GTO does have better acceleration and a more finished interior than a Mustang GT. However, there are plenty of stock 5-Speed GTs that are getting mid-13s.

The 5k price differential between the two cars is based on Edmund's nationwide average price data. Some will pay more and some less.

Secondly, the reliability data comes from Consumer Reports which has thousands of members contributing data. When you factor in the sales price difference, the significantly lower reliability of the GTO, and the manufacturer's suggestion for high octane gas, the average cost of ownership for the GTO is way above the Mustang.

Thirdly, I get 19 MPG in my 5-Speed Mustang GT in nearly all City driving and have seen 23-25 while doing 85 up the East Coast (Shh....please don't tell Smokey!)

Fourth, comparing one owner's anecdotal experience doesn't invalidate the overwhelming body of evidence to the contrary on these points. I picked the Mustang so I could use the money I saved to personalize the interior and exterior as well as ramp up the performance. The Mustang GT doesn't need much to meet and exceed the stock GTO's numbers.

Lastly, there is no disputing the GTO has been a sales failure, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad car. Unlike the Mustang, the new Goat rarely gets people's interest. It didn't fail because of advertising; it failed because they stuck a classic American Muscle Car name on an Australian Sports Coupe. The Holden Monaro is a great car, but it just doesn't capture the feel of the Goat for the vast majority of people.
    ... the Mustang seems to have an understeer problem in hard cornering compared to the GTO. If anything, the GTO tends more to oversteer in hard cornering which can be quite fun to correct with a punch of the throttle. ...

I gotta admit. You almost had me until you said that BS. You do not correct oversteer with a "punch of the throttle," unless your idea of correcting is throwing it into a spinout. I call BS on the rest of your story, and here's why:

... I have beaten him giving 6 car lengths. ...

That's total BS right there! Your friend must be one of (if not THE) worst drivers out there. There's NO WAY a GTO will beat an '05 Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile after spotting it 6 cars. Heck, the GTO doesn't even beat the '05 GT by 6 cars in a straight up 1/4 mile race. So this could be 1 of a few things. 1) Your friend has an older Mustang GT and you're embellishing on your story. 2) Your GTO isn't stock. 3) Your friend can't drive for s##t.

... considering the Monaro (Australian GTO) sells for about twice that amount (and doesn't even come with the 6.0 LS2 as an option). ...

You're right, considering that it comes standard.
    Well said well said. I have to agree with vp. Chevy, you cannot place your facts on the ability of just your friend to drive the car, nor on just the one car itself.
    As vp brought out, there is a tremendous amount of information regarding each vehicle.

As far as gas mileage goes, again, you base that statement on the ASSUMPTION that your friend has never gotten that. Maybe he has, or maybe not, but that doesn't mean that its not possible.

Just today in fact, I was trying to see exactly what I get in gas mileage. Even with all the work that I have done, don't forget about the 4.10 gears, we all know that with gears comes a loss of gas mileage, I actually average 20.4 mpg going 85-90mph down the turnpike. Sure that is lower then your 25, but when you consider the work I have done, I think that's pretty damn good lol.

One more thing. About your friends car having problems. Well, what year is his? Was his one of the first ones made, because it is true, they had their problems. What I'm trying to get at is that most cars, when they first come out, usually have some problems. I mean, take the GTO when in first got released again. It had to be redesigned again for the next year...that's pretty serious. Ford is having incredible sales with a car now, that even after its 1st year, hasn't had to go back to the drawing board and given more power, or added styling ques, or dual exhaust to make it sell better. That right there should speak for itself.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    i just got back from a distance cruise with goat, fenway park to ft myers & back. WOW is it comfy for a long cruise, significantly better than my passat TDI. goat got 23.5 mpg at typical 79.9 mph compared to the passat's ~33 mpg at slightly faster average speeds cross-country last summer.

i wonder how mustang GT compares to goat for long distance interstate cruising comfort? have any of you compared?
    (to me, long distance means >1000 miles).

also after 2800 miles , near the end of the return trip, some guy in CT with a sweet-looking blue modded previous-gen mustang GT insisted on some "demonstrations" on I-395 after he entered the freeway. when he saw my goat, he did a typical move that i see from so many other drivers "inspired" to make bonehead moves due to seeing my goat. he cut across two lanes to get in front of me, but he needn't have done that. i always yield to traffic which is ahead of me, so i let him in no prob. later when traffic opened up, at 70 mph he dropped down a gear & goosed it and i dropped to 5th & goosed. he was fast but he couldn't pull away and we both backed off quickly for safety of other traffic. i won't mention the peak speed we achieved there. his mustang clearly had some sort of nonfactory exhaust, and i think no cats either. also he had some sort of intake/hirise hood, not sure if that was just an intake or was a blower too. i guess if it was a blower maybe i wouldn't have been able to keep up with him... i'm not a ford guy but gotta admit mustangs in that metallic blue color look fantastic, almost as good as blue Z28s or blue vettes!
    "I know a lot of people look at the GTO and say it has been a failure for GM. Maybe, maybe not. It's hard to blame the GTO when the UAW will only allow GM to import a very limited number of these vehicles into the United States."

This point would have some validity if the limited number of cars imported were snatched up as soon as they hit the dealer lots. This isn't the case. Despite the limited number, the cars still languish on the lots. I don't see how having more cars to sell would help improve sales.

What is telling is that you picked up an '05 GTO for under $29k which had an MSRP over $32k. With few cars imported and HIGH demand, the dealers would be getting closer to (or over) MSRP. Yet despite the low numbers imported, the cars are still going for invoice (or substantially less).

Anyway you spin it, the sales numbers indicate a failure from a corporate standpoint.
    Let me assure you, they do quite well in long drives. I have just hit 39,000 miles on my 05, and some have been long trips, and I love it.
    Your comment:

"I gotta admit. You almost had me until you said that BS. You do not correct oversteer with a "punch of the throttle," unless your idea of correcting is throwing it into a spinout."

My response:

Obviously, you haven't done much driving with your rear end chasing your front end. If the rear end is hanging out, you aim the front wheels in the direction you want to go and spin the rear tires as fast as you can. If you do not accelerate, the rear tires will indeed continue to slide sideways and that is why you spinout. Yes, I have turned them all the way around, but your best bet is still with your foot mashed all the way down (on the gas, not the brake). The only way to correct understeer is to let off and drift or brake early and try to set your car up to enter a turn with the back end already trying to hang out.

Your comment:

"That's total BS right there! Your friend must be one of (if not THE) worst drivers out there. There's NO WAY a GTO will beat an '05 Mustang GT in the 1/4 mile after spotting it 6 cars. Heck, the GTO doesn't even beat the '05 GT by 6 cars in a straight up 1/4 mile race. So this could be 1 of a few things. 1) Your friend has an older Mustang GT and you're embellishing on your story. 2) Your GTO isn't stock. 3) Your friend can't drive for s##t."

My response:

We are talking a 2005 Mustang GT which is completely stock and a 2005 GTO which is completely stock. You say it must be the driver. Huh? My best time in his Mustang GT is 13.87. His best time in my GTO is 13.20. I would say based on that, our driving capabilities appear to be pretty even. I have yet to see a stock 2005 Mustang GT that recorded a 1/4 mile time in 13.50 (at least not at the dragstrip). I also did not say that I beat him everytime by 6 car lengths. However, at 100 mph, a tenth is worth about 3/4 of a car length. I can beat him all day long by a half second to 8 tenths (approximately 4-6 car lengths). Since you must be such a superior driver to us, pick a Sunday and bring on your Mustang GT and let's run. Kansas City International Raceway, 8201 Noland Rd, Kansas City, MO 64138. It'll only cost you $20 and a little of your pride.

Your comment:

"You're right, considering that it comes standard." (Referring to the 6.0 LS2 being available in a Holden Monaro).

My response: (Taken from the Holden website)

Overview
    • 260kW, 5.7 litre high output Gen III V8 engine
    • Electric tilt and slide factory sunroof
    • Dual zone climate control
    • 260 watt 6 disc in-dash CD audio system
    • Electrically adjustable leather sports seats
    • 18" CV8Z machined alloy wheels
    • Dual outlet free-flow exhaust
    • CV8Z badging

Step 2 of 3
    Choose your engine/transmission type, options and accessories for your Monaro CV8Z:

* Recommended Retail Price (RRP) does not include Dealer delivery and Government charges, or fitting and labour costs for accessories. Pricing for alloy wheels excludes tyres. Pricing for body kits and spoilers are for primed parts only.

1. Select an engine/transmission type:

Monaro CV8Z 5.7L Automatic Generation III V8 engine $60,490.00 RRP*
    Monaro CV8Z 5.7L 6-Speed Manual Generation III V8 engine $60,490.00 RRP*

2. Select the options you would like to add:

There are no options available for this model

3. Select the accessories you would like to add:
    NB. Fitting and labour not included in RRP

Lockable wheel nuts $51.15 RRP*
    Bonnet protector $88.00 RRP*
    Headlamp guard $82.50 RRP*
    Bluetooth mobile phone kit $495.00 RRP*
    Mobile mounting platform and holder $61.60 RRP*
    Boot lip protector $55.00 RRP*
    Boot organiser $198.00 RRP*
    Performance Exhaust $1,397.00 RRP*

4. Total price: $60,490.00 RRP*

Now who's credibility should be questioned? As I said in my post, I will post factual information based upon my personal experiences.
    Based upon your complete disregard for the power of advertising, why does Ford spend so much money promoting a car that you contend should sell itself? If you don't put something in front of the public, you are not going to get the sales that you would have if you did. GM knew going into this, that with such a limited number of vehicles available, it did not make sense for them to initiate an advertising program for the GTO. While sales have been slower than what I'm sure GM had hoped, it still comes down to the advertising aspect, not the automobile itself.
    Could you please go back to my post and re-read it? I'm fairly certain that you will not find any mention WHATSOEVER of the role of advertising on sales for either the GTO OR the Mustang.

But, if you insist, let's talk about advertising. First, the GTO has been featured fairly prominately in generic Pontiac ads, ads featuring the G6, and recently ads featuring the Solstice. Has there been a campaign DEDICTATED strictly to the GTO? After the flurry following it's introduction as an '04 model, not to my knowledge.

Second, I haven't noticed much of a campaign for the Corvette either. One doesn't appear to be necessary as sales of the Corvette are fine. And the Corvette is quite a bit pricier, with much less utility for not a GREAT deal more performance. Yet, even with little advertising the Corvette sells just fine.

Third, IMO you are inflating the ad campaign for the Mustang. I recall a few ads when it first came out (particularly the Steve McQueen ad) and a few ads for the new convertible when it first came out. Otherwise, the only place I see the Mustang is briefly in generic Ford ads. Maybe I'm just missing this massive promotional campaign you've insinuated.

Fourth, with as few GTO's as GM planned to import (and given the price/performance ratio for the car), it shouldn't NEED a great deal of advertising to move that number of units. I'm fairly certain that most of the target demographic for the GTO is aware of it's existence. Blaming a lack of advertising on the slow sales is to ignore the real problem.

regarding the other post about the issue of oversteering and power application:

It all depends on what has induced the oversteer in the first place. If you've started to oversteer in a corner because you've applied too much torque to the rear wheels (power ON oversteer), applying MORE power won't help.

If you've started to oversteer in a corner at a constant throttle or no throttle, then yes, you can help the car regain traction by applying throttle. I would debate whether or not this should be done forcefully as you recommend or gently. It probably depends on the amount of oversteer, available traction, and torque characteristics of the car.

The reason applying power CAN help with oversteer is because when torque is applied, the car will attempt to accelerate and you'll get weight transfer onto the rear wheels. This weight transfer will help the rear-end to regain traction. But you can't just make the broad statement that oversteer is always corrected by mashing the gas.
  • macatowamacatowa Member Posts: 69
    You have to hand it to Ford for sticking with the Mustang through the good times and the bad times. I'm sure the have been at the crossroads many times and yet they have perservered, that for me say's volumes about the car and managements identity of who they are and what has made them who they are. What value and heritage would the Mustang have if it was stopped and started again later when the marketing folks say "hey let put some lipstick on this thing and try to make a few extra bucks". I love my 06 Vista Blue GT but I also enjoy my 03 Chevy Trailblazer with 85k on the clock.
    "Could you please go back to my post and re-read it? I'm fairly certain that you will not find any mention WHATSOEVER of the role of advertising on sales for either the GTO OR the Mustang."

Thank you for confirming my point on the advertising.

While I will agree with you that "full throttle" (as I may have insinuated) to correct oversteer in all instances may not always be the best thing, feathering more throttle would have been a more appropriate term. But really, where did you come up with "power ON oversteer"? That one really killed me!
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    Just thought I'd mention a few times I ran on my 06 GT 5 speed. My estimate is about 360 to 370 at the crank.(cai, headers, X-pipe, cats, tune, Hurst, and exhaust) The HP is still less then the GTO but times were pretty good. 1/4 mile in 12.94 and 60 at 5.02 sec. Not to shabby considering I am still 30 to 40 HP less then the GTO.

D
    I think you may be a little conservative in your HP estimate. I would think with a tune, the cai, exhaust and the headers (especially if they're HP headers), you should be closer to 400. That's still pretty quick in the 1/4. What was your 60 feet time and mph at the end of the run? I have a friend with an '04 Cobra (cai, x-pipe, exhaust, tune and 315/35's on the back) whose best time is 12.72 at 111.9 mph. He hasn't had it on the dyno yet, but he's thinking in the 450 HP range.
  • dread2dread2 Member Posts: 1
    The Impulse Blue GTO is not to shabby.
    You may be right; I have yet to put it on the dyno.
    60ft time was 3.89 and my trap speed was 105.17 MPH The headers I purchased are made by Kooks, long tube and very nicely designed, not to many people have heard of them, but from what I have read and seen they seems to be very nice.

Just a side note, a friend who is running this same setup, for the most part, with a supercharger putting something like 465-475 to the wheels and he said he ran a 11.3 Don't know what the trap speed was.
    Your numbers don't add up. I was trying to figure out how quick you were on the tree to get under 13 seconds on your run. There is no way you're going to break 13 seconds with a 60 ft time of 3.89. That's asleep at the wheel. I also don't think there is anyway you could be talking a 60 mph time also. When I ran my best time of 13.12, my 60 ft time was 1.90, which actually isn't bad for the stock tires I'm running. My trap speed was 107.9 mph. Perhaps a 60 ft time of 1.89, but then a 105.17 trap isn't going to get you under 13 seconds.

I have seen a stock '06 Z06 run 11.6 at something like 122 mph. I don't see a 300 lb. + heavier car running an 11.3, even with the best supercharger and pulley on the market, unless he's running something other that Quik Trip 91 octane!
    Honestly I don't have the numbers in front of me, I've been out of town working for the last two weeks and was trying to recall from memory and as you mention I am probably way off on the 60 ft and trap speed. I'll let you know exactly when I get back into town.
    Check out this link as well on a Mustang project.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/wb_archives/supercharging-05-gt.html
    Likewise:

How about a street driven GTO - 10.66 1/4 mile @ 130.32

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/brent_gto_10.66_130_mph.wmv

Or this street driven GTO - 9.89 1/4 mile @ 140.11

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/kennygto989.mpg
    Actually he is not being conservative at all. Before the blower, I had my car tuned with the following mods, cai, headers, hi-flow cats, x-pipe, and axle back. Wish I still had those graphs but the hp at the crank was right around 345.

As far as the 60' times....yeah those are odd.
    With just those mods and 4.10 gears I managed to get a 60' time of 1.868 and a trap speed of 106.9mph.
    Your track numbers make good sense to me. What tires were you running to get that 60' time? I'm still miffed that you can't get better HP numbers from those mods? I would think you should get close to 35-45 HP just from the cai and exhaust?
    You know, now that you have me thinking lol, I might have got it dyno before doing the the headers and cats...
    The intake is suppose to give you 25hp with the tune...then 10 hp per remaining mod..so maybe 365ish.

Anyway....on my OEM street tires, I was able to get a 1.989 and a 1.924 in the 60'. With BFG Drag Radials I was able to bring that time down lower. After the frist couple times ever running on D/R's, I got my 60' down to 1.868.
  • casoncasecasoncase Member Posts: 48
    Elias, I'm no expert here, but you've got to keep the revs up to 3,500-4000, which 5th gear will not give you at 70mph. Any back-up on this opinion?
    Jeez! Such passion! Well said, Claires.
    I had the 04 Goat and have an 05, which I'm going to goose to 455HP (SLP perf. mod.), install date April 12. Doesn't really matter, all this "my daughter", etc. stuff. Buy what you want to buy and leave me alone. But my unbiased opinion is that the new GTO is, hands down, superior to any Ford.
    This is as absurd as the Suboru (or however you spell it) compared to the GTO. The GT is a good looking car, but so is the Volvo model...whatever. Compare it to a GTO? Come on!!
    In order to make the GTO look good in its TV ad, Pontiac cloaks it in shadow, a black car against a black background. Come on, sucker, shine a light on the thing! :shades:
    How about we actually get back to some good arguements, or points or facts or what have you...but not this lame excuse to keep the thread going.
This discussion has been closed.