Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang (2005) vs. 2005 Pontiac GTO

Comments

• gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    This should say it all.. Ford Officials promising Some chassis UPGRADES fairly soon? WONDER WHY? Obvious problems... Thats what happens when you rush a car out to the public, kind of funny because LS chassis was pretty decent. Do NOT buy a FIRST year car. from consumerguide.com.....

Meantime, mainstream Mustangs may get various tweaks aimed at improving ride comfort and reducing noise, vibration and harshness. Timing is unclear, but a leading industry trade paper recently quoted Ford officials as more or less promising some chassis "upgrades" fairly soon.
    You are right, all cars have their own problems, including the GTO. But the Mustang seem to be more sever, esp that gas tank problem.

Electronics issues on GTO were a bad battery which can happen on the 2month transit from Austrailia to America. As soon as dealer put a new battery in, it was fine. Unlike Musttangs that seem to just die at highwayspeeds from electriclal malfunctions, LOL! Dealer can't find out why. Thats a lot more sever to me.

Got news for ya, Pontiac did adjust the front suspension accordlingly to handle P245 tires. In austrailia they have P235. It was one rare case. Everyone else that posted after that never had that problem at all. All suggested he had an alignment problem if you read the whole post. if you saw the pictures of the tire he posted it was CLEARLY an alignment problem. Read the whole thread first!

I supposed we could keep on going, but I won't last post on this. Mustang is more problematic then GTO, face it. As they say you GET what you pay for.

Holden is a proven platform, the 2005 Stang is Not yet. Give it until next year to iron out bugs.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Embarrased that someone was having issues with refueling their cars taking too long being the kiss of death? That's a stretch.

59 posts of issues (some of them solutions to issues) for a car that's already got 100,000 of them on the road? Not bad at all in my estimation. Even some of those are issues that are more an indication of a poor dealer service dept., not an indictment of the car.

GM dealers are all sterling, right?

I can start a thread for GTO problems if you want. But, I don't own one so I have no need.

Some people having to take a while refueling their Mustangs isn't something I'd consider a big problem. Ford has addressed it with a running production change and offered those who have early builds a fix IF THEY EXPERIENCE any such behavior. I consider the "issue" to be minor and one that I've yet to experience.

One of the things I don't understand is anyone saying a Pontiac (no matter what the model) being some sort of "lux" car. I just don't see it. My dealer took a BMW 330i on trade for a Mustang. Does that make the Mustang a luxury car?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    graphicguys writes......someone actually said that the GTO felt like it was wearing an "auto condom" when compared to the Mustang. I concur. .....

Kind of funny because C&D said the GTO was the MORE FUN to DRIVE car then Mustang,and it's steering was FAR more communicative then the steering the Mustang, LOL!

Graphic guy writes.....I do think some of the lack of performance difference stems from the shifter in the GTO being less precise than the Mustang's, too. ......

NO, the GTO outperforms the Mustang, plain and simple, WON all the performance categories.

Graphicguy writes....... Clearly, the marketplace has spoken on what the public likes.....

The market place likes it because it's CHEAP and starts at $19k, and has the BOY RACER GOT TO HAVE looks..... GTO starts at $31k+ FOrd had the ability to sell nearly 200k, GM only had the max ability of 18k for the UMPTEENTH time. The avg Mustang buyer can't afford GTO. Big dif, $19k car vs $31k car Got alot of teeny boppers, high school students/college students and fleet sales/ Hertz buying them. Why do you think 66% of 2004 sales were CHEAP V6 model?

How do you know History won't remember the GTO? You ssem to forget the Grand National and V8 impala SS were only made for 3 yrs too! They are fondly remembered. LOL! The advantage is that you don't see them a DIME a dozen like the Mustang.

As for the Mustang GT sold out, NOT IN MY AREA, there is 3 on the lot by me now and 2 V6's.
    I would consider the fueling problem a MAJOR Deal on even a used car. Gm dealers are far from perfect too, but never heard from one, how they can't fix a problem before. Sorry.

The thread for GTO problems won't even come close to Mustang problems.

The BMW 3 series is NOT a luxury car. It's a tiny cramped car. You can get one for not much more then Mustang, low 30's When you buy a 3 series BMW around here it says I wanted a BMW but couldn't afford one. The 5, 6 and 7 series are the real BMW.

BMW quality is now worse then GM.. Ibelieve Buick far surpassed them in quality a few yrs ago. My 528 was nice but very high maintenance costs.

the avg BMW owner is not trading in for a Mustang, sorry to burst your bubble. However if you read the GTO specific forums, you will see many former BMW owners, myself included that have traded in for a GTO.

GTO is more the luxury car then the Stang will ever be
    For my last message here... Just because the Mustang SELLS BETTER then the GTO, doesn't make it a BETTER CAR! LOL! if that is the case then the Camry or Accord is the Best car in the world then, right? Or the Tauraus of 5 yrs ago was the best?

If you remember the Pinto based Mustang of 1974 to 1978 was a decent to good seller.

It shows you that people will buy CRAP/Garbage.

Look at the Ford Focus, one of the best selling cars, yet it is also the MOST RECALLED Car in history, LOL! many quality problems.. that shows you people will buy CRAP. Same thing with Sunfires/Cavaliers.. sold pretty well for GM but were CRAP!

At one time when Mustang sales dropped as low as 90k or 100k units Ford thought about cancelling the lline 20+ yrs ago.

Just because something sells the best doesn't make it the best. Look at Titanic movie, exactly. It may have set all time sales record, but far from the best movie. LOL!
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    If all you can do in a comparison between two cars is to rip the other car (just how many times can one use the word "crap" in one post, anyway?), then indeed, it may be time to move on.

Enjoy your GTO. I'm sure gguy enjoys his Mustang. I don't think there's any reason to burst a blood vessel over this.......
    rorr...I don't get it either. I do really enjoy the Mustang for all the reasons previously stated.

Enjoy the GTO, if that's your preference.

Why the name calling (the Mustang is "crap")? Particularly given the overwhelming success the Mustang is enjoying. Ford must have done something right (quite a few things right since the Mustang has been so overwhelmingly praised).

This is one of the few times I'm left confused and to wonder if there's some sort of underlying "bad feeling" regarding the success of the new Mustang. Given the fact that some here have spent quite a bit of time in all Mustang forums (lifting posts out of context), I have to believe they have more than a passing interest in the car itself, regardless of what they currently own.

Even the consumer ratings here at Edmunds give the Mustang a "9.1 rating" and call it one of the most desireable cars with all their readership. Can't be "crap" if so many readers here want one.
    I think what we're seeing (IMO) is simple frustration by GTO owners.

The GTO is a good car. THEY know the GTO is a good car. Yet they see hordes and hordes of people buying Mustangs; they see the automotive press panning the GTO in favor of the Mustang over (what they see as) non-performance issues. They see that GM has essentially abandoned the GTO (lack of advertising) and they realize that, due to no fault of the car itself, the 2006 is likely to be the last year for the GTO.

I would be frustrated too.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    You are right, all cars have their own problems, including the GTO. But the Mustang seem to be more sever, esp that gas tank problem.

Umm... I wouldn't call a slow-filling gas tank a severe problem unless I was being chased buy a creepy monster or psycho-back-from-the-dead-hellbent-on-revenge that was going to sever my head from my body and I had to get a fill-up on #4 before I could escape. :blush:

Electronics issues on GTO were a bad battery which can happen on the 2month transit from Austrailia to America. As soon as dealer put a new battery in, it was fine. Unlike Musttangs that seem to just die at highwayspeeds from electriclal malfunctions, LOL! Dealer can't find out why. Thats a lot more sever to me.

Got news for ya, Pontiac did adjust the front suspension accordlingly to handle P245 tires. In austrailia they have P235. It was one rare case. Everyone else that posted after that never had that problem at all. All suggested he had an alignment problem if you read the whole post. if you saw the pictures of the tire he posted it was CLEARLY an alignment problem. Read the whole thread first!

I supposed we could keep on going, but I won't last post on this. Mustang is more problematic then GTO, face it. As they say you GET what you pay for.

Holden is a proven platform, the 2005 Stang is Not yet. Give it until next year to iron out bugs.

Total double standard there. One minute you're complaining that the Mustang is (very loosely) based on the 5 or 6 year old LS platform and it is old, but the GTO is on the same Monaro platform that is OLDER than the LS, but it is a proven platform??? :confuse: Give me a break! One guy reports an electrical system problem that is obviously being caused by moisture getting into his electrical system somehow and it's a Mustang epidemic. A GTO owner reports premature tire wear and it's an isolated incident?? :confuse:

You have said you weren't going to post in this topic anymore AT LEAST 6 times. I sure do wish you would keep your promise because you're full of it. And if I have to see you type "LOL!" one more time, I think I'm going to gouge my own eyes out!
    :sick:
    GTO is more the luxury car then the Stang will ever be

Thank goodness for that! If it was a luxury car, it wouldn't be a Mustang now would it? Unlike some other cars, the Mustang has remained true to its roots.
  • cmnottcmnott Member Posts: 200
    Unbeleivable.

I don't know how old this person is, but the level of insecurity creadted by the 2005 Mustang is mind boggling. I have never seen someone get so riled up over a car that they feel discredits theirs.

The GTO is a nice car. The Mustang too. I really don't know what more gunit can accomplish by listing 6 problems from 100,000 cars. I mean, if gunit was driving a Lexus, i would put more weight into arguments such as quality issues. Instead, coming from GM, it is like the pot calling the kettle black...it is to laugh.

The thing is, I will put up with inor annoyances with my Mustang because I love the car. If I wanted perfection, I would have bought a Lexus. And a pillow.

This thread is getting more and more immature. You can discredit Mustang buyers all you want, from being high school kids to not being able to afford a class car like the GTO. My last car cost twice as much as the Mustang, and many others out there just like to have fun. there is no need for arrogance because your car cost a few thousand more, is there?

Like i said both nice cars. If you can sleep better at night without night sweats of a 2005 Mustang, I'll help you out by saying that the GTO is more powerful, has more room and sounds great. How's that?
    rorr..cmnott...s'pose you're right. I do think the GTO is a good car. Probably, one of the better ones the General has produced, regardless of its origins. I chose the Mustang over the GTO for previously stated reasons.

If I put down my own money, I'd probably be a little perturbed at GM for leaving it "swinging in the breeze", too. In that same vein, you have to wonder how the folks who bought the SSR are feeling, too? Someone mentioned that the Solstice was just delayed. That's hot on the heels of the big GM recall....GM losing marketshare and billions. I'd be a little frustrated at GM, too.

Not a slight to the GTO crowd, but while Ford has had its share of foibles, all this is is becoming more the rule rather than the exception with GM, in general. The Mustang is a very bright spot for Ford that shows what the big auto behemoths can do if they get their act together.

Pontiac is not alone with their general malaise. They are joined by such fabled brands like Mercedes, VW and others.

Along that same line, who would have thought that Renault (of all companies) could turn around Nissan.

The Mustang has been a very pleasant surprise within Ford. I don't mind the alluded post about it's comparison to a Camry. Ford and GM could take some lessons from Toyota (just don't take their advice about "muscle coupes"). Now, if Ford can get their act together with putting an engine worthy of the 500 chassis, they may be on to something. They are already on track with hybrid Escapes. The Mazda 3 platform is one of the best out there. The Focus will use it as is the Volvo subsidiary. There is a light at the end of Ford's tunnel.

GM? Well, the best we can say is wait and see.
  • sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Excellent article. Especially with the times being so much slower for both cars, it makes me think they might be more realistic figures.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    "It was one rare case. Everyone else that posted after that never had that problem at all."

If we're talking about the same site, I just went back and checked the thread. Since 4/10, six people have confirmed their cars exhibit this problem and have filed complaints with the NHTSA.

No matter if it's one or six or six hundred, this type of issue is unacceptable on a $30K + vehicle. The margin for error in this price range is very small indeed.
    Right on dude! I bought mine for the drive train also. Of course, the fact that the interior has the best quality materials and workmanship of any American car I've ever had didn't hurt. Actually, if it had a cheap interior I wouldn't have sprung for it. I've worked too long to settle for less. And it has the best handling of any American car I've had. If it isn't the best for the money, fine, I'm still more than happy with it.
    Those are good observations. The GTO is designed more for the European crowd and is not related to any other living Pontiac. High quality? Definitely. Now, do I like the center stack in the dash? No. I prefer a horizontal look. But not the retro look of the Mustang. It doesn't look like any Mustang I've ever driven. I think its the cost though. The common thread of the Mustang owners seems to be that its cheaper. So, I think if you got the bucks then you go for the GTO. If you don't, you go for the Mustang.
    I agree with you on one count....both interiors, the GTO's and the Mustang's were a drawing card for me. I liked the GTO's interior. When I first saw the aluminum interior of the Mustang, I was quite impressed, too. Mine has the red (ICAP) interior option and that just bowled me over...especially with the aluminum interior. If neither car had an attractive interior, I think both would have been less of a draw.

Regarding pricing, I don't know if price was the issue with the GTO. In the low-end of the marketplace, price may be more important. But, where the Mustang and GTO tread, I don't think it's as much of a drawing card.

GTOs did have a bump in sales when GM initially slapped sizeable rebates on them for '04. But, then it trailed off again and dealers were left with too many '04s as leftovers.

I do think people buy "value". Obviously, the value equation was answered with the Mustang considering how well it has sold. It may just be the reaction to the styling that has been the achilles heal for GTO sales rates. Looking at some of the reactions from people, that is probably the #1 "beef" they have. But, you like the styling so it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

The mere fact that this thread exists and is so popular should tell you that the market lumps the GTO and the Mustang GT together. It's probably a fair assumption that the two would be cross shopped. It's probably also fair to say that most of us are quite aware of the price ranges between the two cars. The logical conclusion would be that most people in this market know that they are in the high $20s-low $30s price range when looking to buy.

What we don't know is if the '05 GTO would sell better with more incentives. We'll only know that when we get closer to the end of it's model year and see how many are still lingering (and if GM has to add more incentives to clear them).

I was originally in the market for a new Corvette (which I knew was going to put me in the low $40s range). I would have been in the Corvette if an accident didn't make me shy away from a fiberglass bodied car.
  • sensaisensai Member Posts: 129
    The impression I get is the Mustang people think their car is better than the GTO, because it is cheaper and sells more. Both are true, but do not make a car better by any means. The GTO is clearly the better car because it is faster (and not just by a couple tenths as certain magazine racers keep droning), it rides better, has IRS, better interior, better build quality, and useable back seats. Handling is still subjective until we see real track numbers, steering feel is subjective as someone pointed out both cars have been proclaimed better in that regard by different publications. The only real downside is the trunk, which is certainly a factor for some people as usuable back seats is a factor for others. The GTO cost more because clearly it is more of a car. Can anyone deny with a straight face if the GTO had a different badge on it that it would not be declared one of the best cars out there (and certainly not compared to a Mustang)?
    GTO: quicker - yes. I think that's been established. You know, the old f-bodies were quicker than Mustangs too. RIP Camaro.....
    rides better - subjective
    irs - yes (pushrods - yes)
    better interior - subjective
    better build quality? According to......?
    Useable back seats (well, they are MORE useable, yes)
    Handling is subjective. Track numbers don't describe everything. This is why different reviews come to different conclusions.
    Steering feel - uh, I haven't seen the reviewers who preferred the GTO steering response.

Mustang: quick (just not quickER)
    better shifter - subjective (though seems to be a fairly universal consensus)
    better looks - I'll get to this in a moment
    better brakes - subjective
    better steering feel - subjective
    bigger trunk
    cheaper
    history/heritage/style

etc. etc. etc.

Blah, blah, blah. Neither car is the "BETTER" car. When will you guys get it through your head? Every car buyer (EVERY ONE) has a different set of criteria; whichever car it is that is a best fit for THEIR criteria is 'best' for THAT person. Haven't you noticed that most of the 'Mustang people' have said, repeatedly, that the GTO is a good car? I've said it; I know gguy has said it several times. I'll say it again: the GTO is a good car. As a matter of fact, I think it represents a good value (if your priority is performance) Guess what? The Mustang is a 'good car' too. And for some people (apparently a lot of people), the Mustang is a 'better' car......for THEM.

Why? In this segment, style counts for a lot. You can deny it all you want but it counts. The Mustang has it (though you may not recognize it); the GTO doesn't. The Mustang is INSTANTLY recognizeable as a Mustang; it won't be confused with a Focus, or a Taurus, or a Lincoln, or anything else. Even people who can't tell the difference between a Camry and a Regal know INSTANTLY what the Mustang is. You guys can't tell the difference between a V6 and a GT? What do you expect: different bodies? How many people could tell the difference between a Z28, SS Camaro, and V6 Camaro? Oh, that's right.....badges.

The GTO? Anonymous. Bland. Typical mid-90's GM soap bubble. It.....ain't....got....no....style. Now for a lot of people, this is a good thing: cop's eyes just kinda slide off of it, kids in Integras don't harass you, sleeper's are kinda cool in their own right. In this sense, it is very much like the original GTO. If you like the anonymous look, GREAT. More power to you. For you, the GTO is 'better'.

Why is it so important that 'your' car be declared 'better'? You either like your car or not; who cares what everybody else thinks.
    "Why is it so important that 'your' car be declared 'better'? You either like your car or not; who cares what everybody else thinks."

Agreed.......I don't need nor want any outside approval and/or justification for my Mustang purchase (although there just so happens to be plenty of it from the automotive media, professional testers and about 190,000 other enthusiasts this year).
    My experience is just the opposite. When I joined the GTO forum it was guys talking about the GTO. First there were guys like you who actually drove the GTO. Now if you actually drive the GTO and still buy a Mustang, well then there isn't much I can say. I'm sure you can afford either car. So you must prefer the Mustang. And more power to you. But after that, ringers started posting. They are here for only one reason, GTO bashing. So I kinda figured you Mustang guys must be a little insecure if you have to come here and talk about the Mustang. Can't we all just get along?

And then someone started up this forum and it was pretty cool. People started letting it all hang out. And it was good! But personally I'm ready to go back to the GTO forum. I know how you feel you know how I feel. I'm getting the feeling that gunit is pro GTO. Everything's been said. Once in awhile there is something new to comment on. I think I'm going to check out LS1GTO and see what's going on there and get some real world feedback.
    I have appreciated you posts. I enjoyed "debating" with you.

In all frankness, I do like the GTO. That's why it was on my "short list".

We just both made different choices for different reasons. That's what makes the world go-round.

I agree with you. I don't see much more here to dissect.

Best of luck with your GTO. I know you'll enjoy it.
    I agree that price is not an issue when actually buying one of these vehicles. I doubt there is anyone out there that bought a Mustang but really wanted a GTO but just couldn't afford it. What I'm talking about is that I always hear that the Mustang gives you that performance for $24K. Oh, and if comparably equiped is only $29K, still cheaper than the GTO.

What irks me though is usually, not always, the comparisons are done between a GTO and the stripped down version of the Mustang. For the sake of objectivity I would think one would test comparably equiped cars. But I know the answer to that. The Mustang is so popular there aren't any loaded GTs available for testing.
    I know you like the GTO. That's why I was surprised when you turned to the dark side. Just kidding. I like that recent post that said if the Mustang went upscale then it wouldn't be a Mustang. Conversely, if the GTO offered a 6-banger, then it wouldn't be a GTO, it would be a Le Mans. It will be interesting to see what happens when amateur drivers go head to head though.
    ....that I saw over in News and Views.

Apparently Edmunds is getting reading to do a head to head comparison between the '05 GTO and......

......the Subie WRX STi. Carl had the GTO on Tuesday night and the STi last night.
  • benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Wow, I bet no one here saw that comparison coming. I sure didn't. Should be interesting, though.
    Say what? I thought we were finally going to get Edmunds comparison. But with a WRX? That's not a good comparison. Small car, lots of horsepower? Doesn't that sound like the Mustang. And isn't that what we argue about all the time? Oh well. Let us know how it goes anyway, ok.
  • riccaryriccary Member Posts: 10
    I agree Ron. The other thing is take a look at the GM sales figures. All of the numbers speak for GM - way down. Monte Carlo sales are down 29% this year.

The union is going to bankrupt GM within the next two years. At that point it won't matter about the GTO. It's a shame.
    GM wonders why they have so many sales problems - get some modern looks and quality. Good looks and quality sells cars.
    At least the Mustang has something America can be proud of that offers both the looks, price and quality.
  • stang22stang22 Member Posts: 36
    You cannot deny that the GTO is one ugly looking (cavalier) car!!!! Who cares that GM was sooo cheap that they took an existing ugly car,dropped a corvette type engine in it and put a gto emblem on it and called it a GTO--YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! I don't care if the thing has a 1000 horsepower in it,the car is still ugly and it does a huge injustice to the original GTO's.Just because you put a suit on a horses behind,it doesn't make it a thoroughbred!!!.Mustang wins all the way around!! Just on looks it wins,no need to look any further!!! Hey CLUTZ, I MEAN LUTZ, YOU BETTER GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER OVER THERE AT GM BROTHER,AMERICANS DEMAND RETRO MUSCLE CARS,NOT REPO!!!!! :lemon:
    Now I'm hurt. All this time I thought I had a cool car. Thanks for setting me straight.
  • brushbanditbrushbandit Member Posts: 33
    Thanks for your thouhgtfull insight on the subject. You really raised the debate to a new level. "suit on a horses behind", Corvette "type" engine, "CLUTZ, I MEAN LUTZ", really great stuff. Oh yeah, and the looks of the Mustang just ends the debate, It's SUCH A FRESH DESIGN.
    I see on the Mustang "problems and solutions" thread they have resorted to discussing automobile fueling techniques. Some of the suggestions to get your Mustang to accept fuel are "put the nozzle in upside down", "put it on the first detent, slowww, go in and make some Nachos and check out the magazine rack, take your time". Or maybe this Mustang fueling technique "say a few prayers, cross your fingers and go for the second detent. Damn, it kicked off, I should've never went for the second detent, what was I thinking" Wow, maybe I should've bought that GTO after all. :P
    Yeah, a lot of people are having some difficulty with the fuel filler neck. The light at the end of the tunnel is that the Mustang will be around long enough for a fix to be put in place. And I believe one already has been.

But once the GTO has returned to the Defunct Musclecar Hall of Fame and the GTO owners start needing some hard to find (and expensive to replace) imported parts (body panels and other odds and ends), they'll be thinking, "Dang! I should've layed my brand bias aside and bought that Mustang GT when I had the chance." :P
  • danmandanman Member Posts: 16
    My 2005 Mustang was Lemon Lawed. Got all my $$ back. Fuel Tank and Shaker radio was fixed. Window problems fixed, Electrical problems and rattles that couldn't be fixed on 5 tries. Still there. Very nice car, but enough was enough. It was in the dealer more then I had it. Apparently I'm not the only one based on some of the comments I have read on the Mustang Problems and solutions board. I should have learned and listened and NOT bought a first year car. I'm sure hope by 2006 they willl have this fixed. My Mustang looked real good on the back of the flatbed truck though. Going down to Pontiac tonight. GTO has been our since 2002 as Holden so I'm sure they got the bugs worked out, I hope. Still not crazy on the lack of styling, but not ugly. I want to see how it drives. Maybe buying it.
    GM has sold alot of Holden Monaros in the last 9 years so parts won't be problem. One of the benefits of buying an existing established design. Nice try though. ;)
    HEY,Just as Jack Nicholson said,YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!I'd take a 300c srt-8 even over a GTO.Don't get me wrong,I love the GTO----THE OLD ONES,Not the cavalier like new ones, with the vette engine in them!!!! Cheap Lutz,very cheap!!!!
    "GM has sold alot of Holden Monaros in the last 9 years" in Australia so parts won't be problem in Australia.

;)
    Hey,The best thing that could happen to the new gto is that it DOES need some hard to get parts like Body Parts.Heck ,if ya collect enough of them,and put them all together,you might be able to melt them down and put together a nice designed gto ,of a retro classic gto,not the new cavalier one that CLUTZ seems to have designed over at GM!!! :lemon:
    "I'd take a 300c srt-8 even over a GTO"

:confuse:

300c srt-8 available with a stick shift? Is the handling, braking, steering feel up to the GTO? What Mustang-like qualities does the srt-8 have that the GTO doesn't? Are you saying that if you were cross-shopping the Mustang and the 300c, that you wouldn't even consider the GTO based on.........? Styling alone?
    Get it straight,its not a gto,its a cavalier with a vette engine,which by the way,is the only good lookin' thing on the whole vehicle----THE ENGINE---WAY TO GO CORVETTE, at least its not been totally put out of its misery yet---well,that's until you start driving it though!!!!! :lemon:
    It's a Holden Monaro from GM's Austrailian Holden Division, not a Cavalier, that was rebadged as a GTO for our US Market. This car was NOT designed by Lutz. This car can be equipped with the Corvette engine in Austrailia as well. It's also sold as the Chevy Lumina SS in Saudi Arabie as well. Get it straight!

Theoretically the 1964 GTO wasn't a REAL GTO either, it was a rebadged Lemans with more powerfull engine, badging, etc.
    Give it a rest.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Let's take main rants about GM to the News & Views board where we have a number of GM and Lutz discussions.

This discussion is about the new Mustang and the new GTO.

Thanks!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    If you disagree with a point of view, state your case without resorting to negative comments about each other; otherwise, your posts will be removed.

Claire

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A large number of posts were deleted this evening as a few people can't read what the discussion is about and are talking off-topic and were attacking each other.

Stay on topic, stay civil or you will be removed from the Forums.
    The 300c SRT-8,not only looks better than the gto,but it was faster in 1/4 mile,it is more luxurious with muscle too,seats and interior are better, and a real cool look to it!!! In the end sales tell the story!!! GTO will never catch up to sales of the 300!! Also, the 300C SRT-8 is a very limited production car,which will make it even more collectable!!!! :)
    Actually the GTO is just about as fast as SRT8 and costs $8k less too! SRT8 was 13.2 in 1/4, GTO was 13.3 1/4, very close, driver's race. As per Motor Trend. 0-60 was nearly identical for both cars, 4.9 and 5.0 SRT8 is Slushbox, Auto only, no manual tranny option!

Actually the GTO will outsell the 300C SRT8 for 2005 by nearly 2 to 1 ratio. 12,000 GTO and 5,000 SRT8 for 2005 production. They are BOTH low production cars. The SRT8 is a nice car no doubt. Glad we have a lot of choices in american muscle.

Traditionally real muscle cars have 2 doors and manual trans, so by those definitions, SRT8 isn't a muscle car in the true sense.
    Also, the SRT-8 is produced in even fewer numbers than the GTO and they are being swiped up FAST. Can't say that about the GTO. It's imported in limited numbers, but I still see more than plenty of them just lumbering on dealer lots like beached dolphins.

I'd most definitely take a 300C SRT-8 over a GTO, but had (the right) one been available, I would've probably taken one over the Mustang GT, too! :) No doubt about it that I would take a Magnum SRT-8 over all three of those. The only negative I can think of with the SRT-8 cars is the horrendous fuel economy. But the saying goes, "With cars like these, who's worried about fuel economy?" :shades:
    As per Motor Trend. 0-60 was nearly identical for both cars, 4.9 and 5.0 SRT8 is Slushbox, Auto only, no manual tranny option!

Stop the presses!! :mad: A 4.9/5.0 SRT-8/GTO 0-60 is nearly identical and a "drivers' race," but you guys argue that a 5.0/5.1 GTO/GT 0-60 is a thrashing?? :confuse: Talk about hypocritical. :surprise:
    I never said that a 5.1/5.1 GTO - GT was a thrashing! You might want to check your fact first, wasn't me that posted it!!

Mustang-GTO would be a good drivers race. No doubt.
This discussion has been closed.