Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes-Benz S-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited January 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
Share your shopping stories here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host
Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    Any prices for S350 vs. S430 for purchase or lease? Also, anyone have specifics on the difference betweent the two (looks, features, ride, options)?
  • dpjdpj Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info. Can you let me know what you were quoted for the S430, what the MSRP was and what options? I drove the S350 last week, noticed the space difference, and basically didn't think it drove or looked like the S430 or S500. Also, if you were quoted a lease it would be great to know the details.

Thanks, Don
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    What would $45-50K buy me in a used S-Class, and would that be a good value?

What model year, features, etc? Any model years to avoid due to maintenance/reliability issues?

Thanks in advance.
  • las430las430 Member Posts: 1
    I know this seems like a random idea, going against all my common sense, but there is a 2001 S430 for sale with 139,580 miles, it is only 23,000 dollars, should i take a risk as i can't afford anything else and i want a cool sedan, I drive very little, I'm wondering just what will need replacing right away?? any thoughts on this topic??
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    I know this seems like a random idea, going against all my common sense, but there is a 2001 S430 for sale with 139,580 miles, it is only 23,000 dollars, should i take a risk as i can't afford anything else and i want a cool sedan, I drive very little, I'm wondering just what will need replacing right away?? any thoughts on this topic??

That's a lot of miles. I think that you would be looking at major expenses down the road with a MB car of this high mileage, potentially costing many thousands of dollars.

I would not buy a MB unless it had some original warranty left on it or it was Starmarked by MB -- but that only takes a car up to 100,000 miles. There's a reason that MB will only warranty up to that mileage threshold .. they're not dumb!

One thing you can do is to ask to see ALL of the maintenance records. If not available in hard copy, the dealership where it was serviced (if indeed it was serviced there) should have maintenance records in their computer files. If you cannot know the maintenance history of this car, that's another deal breaker, as far as I am concerned.

If you are willing to buy a car with such high mileage, consider a Lexus LS430 instead. Even if the car were to need major repairs (doubtful) they would be far less costly. You would still be getting a luxury car.
  • lealawlealaw Member Posts: 1
    My car was totalled from the flood and my banker has offerred me a 1999 Mercedes S320 with 152K miles for $13K. It runs smoothly, but there are 3 lights on - one ARB which supposedly has to do with the "lifts" and which the dealer that is cleaning it up for the bank, said should self correct with driving, but it hasn't; one for the air bags and one with a light symbol to the left of the stearing column. The glove compartment won't unlock and they don't have the "auto" remote, so I can't look at the book. The right side mirror is unstable and the cup holder won't collapse.
    The bank says they will service it and fix the obvious. Could someone please tell me what service I should be asking for - I used to have a mb and the timing chain alone was 3K when I had to replace it. They tell me this car will go 500K miles...is this true if properly serviced? Any information would help and can someone tell me if there is any way to get a remote for this vehicle without paying $700 for it through mb? I'd like to have it if I could get a feel for the service issues.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Since this is the pricing discussion, you'll have better luck in our regular Mercedes-Benz S-Class discussion, where you'll find other owners of this vehicle.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    "If you are willing to buy a car with such high mileage, consider a Lexus LS430 instead. Even if the car were to need major repairs (doubtful) they would be far less costly. You would still be getting a luxury car."

Hmmmm, not sure about that either. You'll have airbags fail on a Lexus, $1500 per wheel. The display on the radio and climate will fail, hundreds more, the power steering will leak on the alternator, taking out the alternator - there are issues on an old Lexus too. Not saying they're not good, just not perfect as is sometimes implied. At high mileage, anything is gonna cost ya.

If you have $23,000 to spend, you could get an 04 Lincoln LS, an 02 Jaguar S-Type, or about an 02 C-230 frankly, that would give you quite a bit of life. I do agree - that S-430 is for someone who has money for repairs.
  • caldwell1caldwell1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    Onthe subject of price....overall cost I mean.
    If am considering a 2001 s430 with 45k miles for $22k. Surface research indicates that is a fair price, but are there glaring issues with this year/model I should factor in?

TIA-
    MC
  • wabendswabends Member Posts: 102
    I am looking for a 2003 MB S430 with intention to buy early next year. I have found one with the following specs. on line and will appreciate any suggestions about the asking price of $45999.

This vehicle is white with front and rear heated seats, ventilated front and rear seats, keyless go distronic and parktronic automatic transmission, trunk closer, sport package, xenon lights, dynamic seating, rear air climate control, side and rear sunshades, 4matic, 4place seating, moonroof, 18 inch alloy MB wheels, Leather, Wood and chrome trim, Hands-free communication, cd changer, navigation system, and Bose audio sound system.

Any suggestions that you will be really appreciated.

Wabends
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I just bought a new S350 with Keyless Go, Elec Trunk Opener, and CD changer for $53,500. What is anyone else's experience?
  • detroitlionsdetroitlions Member Posts: 21
    Just bought my wife a 2003 s430 for 41000 grand its seems clean in and out we are really stoked it just feels like the rug is gonna be yanked from under us .. we never owned a mercedes and we hear everything is double price when something goes wrong,, weve taken out extended warranties aside from the existing one from the manufacturer. any unforseen problem possiblities or irregular consistantcys that members may have heard of please advise thnx guys!!
  • detroitlionsdetroitlions Member Posts: 21
    hi guys looking for chrome rims for my s430 2003? any ideas something maybe in 17" or 18" chrome. but dont like the 'star' look my wife will be driving it to work so i dont really want to get into low profile but yet we want the big wheel look maybe 19"..please help.
  • carnut100carnut100 Member Posts: 7
    We had a 2003 s430 and it hooked us Mercedes. We traded in an 01 Lexus LS430.

The only problem we had while we owned the S430, was the auto leveling had to be fixed once ... under warrantee. Not other issues whatsoever. Great car! Good luck.
  • lauren12lauren12 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I received this message display 'No magazine' when I tried to activate the cd in my 2002 S500. The cd magazine is in the changer located in the trunk, but if I try to eject it, it will not eject as well. Does anyone experience this problem with their cd magazine and could advice me on this? I took it to the MB dealership for an estimate to fix it and they say it'll probably be $1200k to change the whole unit. Any advice would really appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Hi, lauren12...

Since this is a pricing forum, you might have better luck getting an answer to your question in the general Mercedes-Benz S-Class discussion..

Thanks,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• elmer3elmer3 Member Posts: 20
    I live in the Pittsburgh, Pa area 9 months of the year and central Florida 3 months of the year. Does anyone have any good experiences with dealers (both price and service ) in either of these areas. Thanks
  • barkingdogbarkingdog Member Posts: 1
    Believe it or not, I prefer the outgoing body style/interior to the new '07 model and was wondering if anyone has had any recent buying experience from a Mercedes dealership. Are they offering great deals on the '06? Any input would be appreciated.
  • mcaleermcaleer Member Posts: 11
    When will pricing be available on the 2007 S5504Matic? I thought they were supposed to start production last month.
  • mickylmickyl Member Posts: 14
    I am about to buy a MB S550 brand new with the sticker price of $92,300, for $89,000. I am getting $3.3K discount off the MSRP. Good deal or no?

Any comments welcome.
  • slattery2slattery2 Member Posts: 3
    Sounds like that was a great price 7 months ago...what are they going for now? I am in the market TODAY for a new - or gently used S class. My present 99 S320 LWB has been great - any idea what I can really get for this with less than 64000 miles on it? Edmunds says less than $20K but that seems quite low for the last of the beautiful big body MB's?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    Slattery2, are you still in the market for an '06 S-Class?
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Where are you located?
  • slattery2slattery2 Member Posts: 3
    I am still - or back - in the market for either a used S-Class or perhaps an E Class WAGON (I would consider a new wagon). I know this is a vast departure from an S-Class, but my first MB was a wagon and I loved it. I have spoken to MB dealers, but nothing with the right "provenance" in either an S-Class or a wagon has come available. I actually purchased a used Wagon locally and took it to my mechanic - he told me to "run-away" as there was undisclosed body damage (I thought I was pretty good at spotting this sort of thing) and - as it was "imported" from upstate NY or MASS - there was road salt damage to the sensors...and I do NOT want a "Manheim" car. I have always purchased NEW and have ALWAYS purchased "over the phone" and just picked it up. I now must either DO something or replace all 4 tires and face the upcoming 70K service. I AM READY FOR A NEW CAR.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I read the above post with a grain or two of salt (pardon the expresssion). Cars "imported from MA or upstate NY have "road salt damage to the sensors". Thats a new one on me. Additionally, upstate NY cars and MA cars have no more salt exposure than any other eastern car and in any case with modern cars you just don't see "salt damage" for at least a decade.

Me thinks that the 70K mile service would be a far better way to go, anyway. The sales tax alone on a new car would be far more than THREE of these services and what do four premium tires cost from the Tirerack cost, $475 with NO sales tax.
  • benztunerbenztuner Member Posts: 76
    For everyone out these thinking about buying the S65 or even the S600, take a look at all of the options before buying the AMG car and you might find yourself with a little extra money and one very custom car. Here's an example, a customer wanted the S65 but I talked him into the S600 and we did a WALD kit on it, larger wheels and lowered the car. We are working on larger brakes and performance increases now, and when we get done he'll have a completely unique car and it'll still be cheaper than the AMG. And I always tell my friends that it doesnt cost anything to ask. ">Here's a couple pictures.
    See more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • ebnesomebnesom Member Posts: 1
    I hope it isn't a lemon but I got it for $1700 I am having some tran leak and hydraulic system leaks but I hope to hold on to it. I love the way it drives.
    I never dreamed I was a benz person.
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Any news on latest pricing to lease an S550?
    Thanks
  • gmannjgmannj Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in getting some perspectives on a lease for a 2008 MB S550 4Matic. The MSRP of the car is $98, 950, and has the premium III package. The lease specifics are: 39 month lease with 15K per year, with a MF of 3.00, and a $5k down payment. The residual is $49, 801. The monthly payment works out to be $1,695 per month. Is this a good deal? Thanks for the help!
  • fuenferfuenfer Member Posts: 7
    Make sure you deal on the purchase price, too. Shoot for $10k off MSRP. Even if you lease, the price of the car is very, very important.
  • jeffparkerjeffparker Member Posts: 10
    I'm in the market for an 08 S550. Options:

- P2
    - AMG Package
    - Wood/leather steering
    - Power rear/side window blinds

The MSRP is $98,585 (incl. GGT). Any idea what I should pay for this? I am in Austin, TX and looking to go with MB Of Austin but have not heard too many flattering reviews about them. I'm also looking at Houston/Dallas dealerships.

I'm good at bargaining, so I should be able to get a good deal. The question is WHAT's a good deal for this car?

Thanks!
  • jeffparkerjeffparker Member Posts: 10
    fuenfer - what's a good deal on the S550 I want to purchase? Please see my post above.
  • andoverandover Member Posts: 5
    I am considering buying a 2005 S500 Designo Edition with 62 thousand miles.It is a one owner lease car. Can anyone give me some feedback? Do I sat away? Problem areas? Expensive to maintain? Reliability? Is this a good year for this model? What is a good price to pay for this car? Please, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    I currently own a 2003 E-320, new in January 2003. I have thoroughly enjoyed this car, only 25k miles on it. At service another customer said the S is so superior to the E there is no comparison. Well, that created interest! Setting the purchase price aside, anyone out there made this kind of fleetup? Opinions?
  • technartechnar Member Posts: 10
    The following might be helpful for people considering getting an S class and are not familiar with MB customer service.

About two months ago I leased a 2008 S63 (first time Mercedes customer). Several days ago, the A/C compressor quit working and I took the car to the dealer for repairs. It appears that the compressor has to be ordered from Germany and it may take 2-3 weeks to finish the repair on top of the 5 days the car's been at the dealership. The dealership is not willing to provide a comparable loaner. Their offer is either a C or an E class. They are also not willing to overnight the compressor from Germany. So, I have to wait a month for my car and basically pay $2500 (my monthly lease payment) to drive the E350 instead. I know Lexus would give you the same model as yours for a loaner.

I thought I'd try calling MB customer service. Their response was that as long as the loaner was a Mercedes vehicle not much else they can do. When asked about expediting getting the replacement compressor, the guy said he will try to help me out as if doing me a favor (will update on that later). Well, I think I'll do myself a favor and go with a different brand the next time I decide to get a $140k car.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hi. This is a first time I heard from a S63 owner.

Well I am surprised its 1 of the top end benz model you should get some respect.

My uncle bought a S class 3 or 4 months back not the amg version

No problems at all......

What car did you own previously before getting the s63?

Any experience in other brand or suvs.

Yes lexus is a very reliable car without any kinds of trouble I don't think you will have any problems with lexus thats the reason why lexus has had such an amazing reputation since many years.

From what I keep reading from other posts german cars are amazing to drive the best road feel fun to drive but when you have those troubles again and again you tend to forget about all the good things.

I think its true as some1 said benz bmw audi jag are all great luxury cars but a RISKY buy ;)

I like suvs and I think BMW suvs are amazing but those troubles really scares me to get a german car.

I hope to get a reply from you.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    That really is unfortunate. I'd say the E-loaner would be fine if they were willing to "eat" your monthly payment, or at least pro-rate it for the duration your vehicle is out of comission.

Hard to believe that there is not a single S demo they could let you drive for a few weeks???

I don't blame you for wanting to switch brands.

In this case, you might want to throw some of your clout out there and emphasize the fact that your are indeed driving a $140k automobile. Not a big fan of the ego, but a little bit of a "do you know who I am" attitude might get somebody's attention on this matter.

Good Luck!
  • technartechnar Member Posts: 10
    To bmlexus:
    Just turned my A8L in after the lease term has ended. My wife drives a 750Li. Both the A8 and the S63 are great cars. I was going to get the S8, but it seems that Audi's residual value is worthless at the moment. I think the 750 is inferior to both in terms of interior and especially the iDrive thing (clearly designed by engineers instead of designers). Never had any problems with the A8. 750 ran out of oil within about 10k miles (was nearly empty when we got to the dealer), no other issues.

I don't mind that the compressor broke down that much. I'm sure it's not a common issue. But I never expected this level of "service" from Mercedes.

Lexus makes great cars and I did look at the new LS, but it just seems like this is a car for a much older crowd. S63 is a blast to drive. I've gone up against several Porsche and some guys on crotch rockets and was able to keep up just fine (I'm not very experienced). Just feels like a big let down from MB over a minor issue such as this.

To ocautoseeker:
    I did mention the payment. The dealer sends me to MB. MB sends me back to the dealer :) As far as an S class demo car, I asked about that too. Since MB does not make it a requirement to match the loaner model with yours, the dealership does not have to cooperate (I guess they don't believe in repeat business). Speaking of the dealership, the one in question is Keyes Mercedes (Keyes European) in Van Nuys California. I would recommend avoiding it at this point. The whole thing just seems weird. I own a business myself and I would never dream of treating my customers this way.

Anyway, enough crying :) Just wanted to share my experience. I hope it may help someone in the future. I think my next car will be an R8. Audi just seems to be a better company and the R8 has got to be a great car.

Thank you.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    . How do you rate these 3 cars from 1 TO 3?

Well since the S class is the latest of the 3 I think it was the better choice.

BTW do you know that the 7 series will have a redesign this year Audi as well not sure when.

think the 750 is inferior to both in terms of interior and especially the iDrive thing (clearly designed by engineers instead of designers).

I guess if you say so.

I don't mind that the compressor broke down that much. I'm sure it's not a common issue. But I never expected this level of "service" from Mercedes.

I guess they will always be like that.

To proud of their product ;)

Lexus makes great cars and I did look at the new LS, but it just seems like this is a car for a much older crowd. S63 is a blast to drive. I've gone up against several Porsche and some guys on crotch rockets and was able to keep up just fine (I'm not very experienced). Just feels like a big let down from MB over a minor issue such as this

Well the car is for a much older crowd because the older people have a better experience I guess ;)

crotch rocket? like lambos ferrari etc?

Just wanted to share my experience. I hope it may help someone in the future. I think my next car will be an R8. Audi just seems to be a better company and the R8 has got to be a great car.

Audi R8 isn't that a very different car then the S class :confuse:

Anyway good luck let us know here when you get back your car.
  • corblimey2corblimey2 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone aware of any dealerships offering 0% financing for 3/5 yrs?

thanks in advance
  • alexanderkalexanderk Member Posts: 9
    Buying used, certified 2007 with low miles. Any suggestions ? Prices payed?
    Prices payed on new 2009?
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    I'm thinking to buy used too. If I understood it correctly, MB certified program does not help, because you get it only for 1 year or 100,000 mile, whatever comes first. of course, 1 year will come first, so there is no point to do it. I'm thinking to go to delear's action and buy 2 year old car with 25-30K on it. Realistically speaking you can buy this car for about 45K from MB finacial service line on action. Make sure you use green light cars only and check Carfax history of this car before you going to bit on it. MB original warranty is for 4 years or 50K miles, so you will drive another 2 years with warranty and then decide what to do with this car. Anyway it should be smart way to enjoy S-class. What do you think ?
  • georget3georget3 Member Posts: 53
    alexanderk:
    >>Realistically speaking you can buy this car for about 45K from MB finacial service line on action<<

Could you advise how to get to this MB "auction"?

Thanks in advance,
    George
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    You can go there with any dealer, who has a right to buy from there. Usually they charge about $500-$700 for this service plus all auction fees. You may do better deal. Where are you located. I'm in NY and we have no problem to find those guys.
  • vicmingvicming Member Posts: 3
    I went to a MB dealer in NJ today, and was offered a left over 09 S550 4Matic with the following options for $76280 + Tax + Fees and the total is $82640 or so.

- Premium II
    - IPod Integration
    - Bluetooth

Is it a good deal?

Thanks,
    Victor
  • mcvolvomcvolvo Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at 1 owner pvt party 31K miles P2, Flint/ Black S550. the car is out of the org war period; however, i can get an ext war from MB if I like for about 5k (7yr 100K). I can get the car for 43K. Thoughts on that price? I'm in the southwest. Great carfax, all records...meticulous guy.
  • blevan7blevan7 Member Posts: 2
    I have my 48 month lease coming to end shortly. Lease-end buyout option is $37k. The car is in excellent condition with under 30k miles! So, I am considering buying it out. Any ideas if this is a fair price? I did some quick checks, e.g. Edmunds TMV and it looks fair but may be I am missing something. It will be plus taxes and $150 fee to buy out. Most importantly, can the buyout price be negotiated with MB Financial? I mean has anyone had success with this? If I approach them, not sure what to tell them about the miles, they may like me returning it if they have an idea of its good condition and not negotiate the price at all.. Thanks.