Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ford 4.2 v-6 is junk

milo7milo7 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ford
had a problem with my 97 f-150 smoking on
start-up. took it to the dealer and after 7 days,
they decided it was valve seals. got the truck
back and still had the problem. went back to the
dealer and they gave up and replaced the engine
with a rebuild. got it home and it also started
smoking and the "check engine" was on. after
another 200 bucks, they "solved" this problem. the
original engine had 59000 miles when it gave out.
i just got rid of a 79 chevy with 320,000 miles on
it and the engine had never been touched, what an
idiot!!!!!!

Comments

• f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    So you got a lemon or at least one that had premature problems. Next time it may be that Chevy. Roll the dice or leave the table, but the game doesn't change somewhere else. Chevy has as many or more problems than Ford.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    to me, that the dealer service department may be more of a lemon than the truck.

Harry
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    cdean,
    It does sound like my buisness. Somehow my Fords are holding up....
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    The 4.2 is crap , i work for a truck rental place , there ford vans and 10 foot box vans , have 4.2's and after 20,000 miles they are smoking , you can let them sit for 12 hours , and they blow a big puff of blue and black smoke ,,one thing i can say , they are a little bit peppy in these vans , but still , we have some 95 and 96 gmc van floating around with 4.3 v-6 's and they have 100+ thousand miles no smoke , ford needs to bring back the 300 inline 6.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Rental, eh? Say no more...it's not the engine pal...
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    hey now, Roc, he also has some GMs in his rental place that are doing fine!!!

Sounds alot like your biz...someone else driving your truck and not caring about it...
    The bigger trucks have 5.4's and the 6.8 v-10s , they are a little better , alot stronger than the 4.2 is , ive seen a few 5.4's have smoking problems but not alot of them , by far the best motors in any of the trucks is the 350's in the gmc trucks, the company is mixed gm and ford , the older fords had the 460's , which i would call second place to the 350, these gmc's are like 95 and 96 model's with 120,000+ mile no smoke still running strong , the insides of the 460 are good , but it tends to be the outside of the motor that gives us problems , exaust leaks , a/c comp., fuel injection problems , but the 350 is strong in all areas , its not as powerfull as the 460 ,but its got good enough takeoff and puuling power.
    As a general rule , the lowest milage 350 ive ever owned was 161,000 miles the highest was 325,000 all and in between with no rebuilds , basically , this is the most wide spread engine ive ever seen be this reliable , i guess i'm cursed when it comes to fords because all the ones ive ever had were crap , if i had to name the most reliable universaly used gas engine , it would have to be the 350 v-8 , no question.
  • modvptnlmodvptnl Member Posts: 1,352
    everything!!!

Currently best friend has '95 302 Bronco with 180,000+ miles. Starts and runs perfect!!! Other friend has '93 Bronco 302 with 120,000( I had to do fuel injectors recently, $99 over the net) My Father does 40,000 a year X 4 years with nary a problem on his 302's. This will be the last year of the 302 Explorer so we'll wait on the high mileage verdict on the 4.6's. I don't put the miles on that these family members and friends do but my Ford motors have NEVER broke on me.

If you want info on my old '87 454 turbo 400 GMC I'll be happy to expound.
    my main truck is a 91 chevy c1500 , with a 350 and 4 speed automatic, it has 210,000 miles on it and uses no oil and none of the drivtrain has ever been rebuilt , whats funny is this TBI 350 cranks faster than my neighbors 91 bronco with the MPI 351 , and 89,000 miles, his acts like its got a carb. on a cold morning.
    That would be a designed in feature that helps build oil pressure!! LOL.

The TBI on my 454 was junk!! Air leaks, throttle shaft holes worn etc...this was under 60,000.
    in So. California. He'd go through 700r's in the early '90's Chevies like planned replacement items.

To each his or her own.
    would be because , you had an early modle 87 , in 1990 the modle 220 tbi came out which was near flawless, i had an 87 suburban with a tbi 350 , and i had problems with the tbi on it, but all the 90 and after chevys ive had never gave me any problems with that , ive never had a 700r go out on me , ive had 6 trucks with those transmissions, i had one 4l80e go out in a 92 suburban at 250,000 miles , i still have that truck it now has 270,000, and runs perfect never been touched , except for the transmission.
    700r's sucked

4L series is bulletproof.
    Fair enough. I know you're talking 350's but I, most of the time, needed a big block for my toys. Everyone I ever talked to said the 454 went through exhaust manifolds regularly. I only went through 3 in 60,000 miles! I've heard the Turbo 400 was bullet proof. Guess what? Mine was gone at 55,000. This truck did have to pull a 26' Nordic and an 11' camper, so it did have to work.

I actually traded for an '85 F-250 460, C6 that NEVER faltered.

I too would be GM loyal if I had your luck but as fate would have it it just worked out the other way.

I am interested in the 8.1 Allison combo when it comes out. If it is significantly more powerful then my 310 HP 425 lbs torque 5 speed super duty, who knows?

The next personal area is styling. LOL!!
    the little Edmunds write up said the 8.1/Allison combo easily walked away from both Ford and Dodge v10 trucks. Flat empty 0-60 race, the 8.1 Allison out ran F & D by about 1 second.

GM 8.1 340 hp/455 ftlb
    Fd 6.8 310 / 425

both obviously have a very flat torque curve. Unless you are pulling 18,000 lbs all the time, you miss the 8.1s power over the 6.8 too much--both engines way more capable than most apps need...but the Allison is far above anything Ford and Dodge has. Not only in durability, but in performance and towing features.
  • f220swiftf220swift Member Posts: 103
    Is the 8.1 offered in a 2500 or do you have to step up to a 3500?
    Swift....
    I beleive it is offered in both.
    We have to remember a few things; Just like Ford stepped up with the diesels to match the Duramax in torque and like the V10 went from 275 HP to 310 in one year I don't think Ford will rest on their laurels. Then again it might be decided on sales. If GM doesn't put a dent in Super Duty sales Ford might not do anything which would be a shame.

I agree on the Allison issue.
    F220swift

All engine and tranny combos are offered in the 2500 HD.
    they haven't matched it yet.

But they will.

leapfrog.
    figures that the 6 speed Power Stroke matches the Duramax at 520#'s. Like Dodge Ford must not trust their automatics with that much torque; it's rated a little less.
    from being frozen.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    After 30 or more days of inactivity....

this topic is being "frozen". It will be archived or deleted in the next 10 days or so.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.