Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• whahappanwhahappan Member Posts: 69
    You are correct, my bad. However, according to the Lincoln website the FWD MKZ is rated 19/27, the AWD model is what's rated 18/26. Still lower, but not so bad.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    GM should examine the Accord, the Camry -- and then build a better car in every way!.

If GM could build such a car, don't you think they would have? Honda and Toyota have patents on their designs, so outright copying them can't happen. GM doesn't have the engineering or technology to build a car as good, much less better than Accord/Camry.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The Impala as we know it will be buh bye by 2009 because it's going to be replaced by a much bigger RWD Sedan with GM's 3.6 V6, 5.3 LS-4 V8, and 6.2 VVT V8 in the SS model. ;)

Rocky
    It's not that they can't do it but they need to make a profit.

So you don't think this "perfect car" would sell? Believe me, if they could make this car, they would.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    The Impala as we know it will be buh bye by 2009 because it's going to be replaced by a much bigger RWD Sedan with GM's 3.6 V6, 5.3 LS-4 V8, and 6.2 VVT V8 in the SS model.

Therein lies GM's neverending problem. Big engines with lousy fuel economy. I guess they'll never learn.

Watch for Honda to go the other way. Diesels, hybrids, hydrogen etc. I know which company I'd bet on.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    However, according to the Lincoln website the FWD MKZ is rated 19/27, the AWD model is what's rated 18/26.

That's strange, the numbers I posted (18/25 for FWD) were from fueleconomy.gov., they have the AWD at 17/24. :confuse:
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I'll respectfully have to disagree with ya rock. 08 Malibu is definately a step up from its predecessors but the 08 Accord will be out too.....
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Well I suppose it will be a good car. It is basically the Aura. The G6, yet another variant, is just let's say a different looking car, but pretty much the same. Then there is the original of this class, the Malibu Maxx. Let us all pray the Consumer Reports data looks better for Malibu going forward. That is one thing which kinda concerned me a bit about the Aura -- not so stellar data on past Saturns and the Malibu in Consumer Reports data from owners. No not going buy test drives.

Anyway, the Malibu will be a nice, sorta new car, yet it seems like it is but one of four.
    -Loren
  • mhattrupmhattrup Member Posts: 77
    I didn't think Consumer Reports had tested a Legacy GT since they started offering stability control. I believe their initial test is still the one in their ratings and doesn't reflect a model with the stability control option. I think the biggest remaining knock they'd have against it is the gas mileage but I don't think they have tested one with the SI drive feature either yet so they might even find it more acceptable. I could be wrong but I am a CR subscriber and just don't recall an updated test - I keep thinking they will include in a new test - maybe they will with the 08 redesign which is due out mid year I think.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I have not test driven the Accord or new Camry to compare to the Fusion but I have test driven the Fusion, Sonata and new Altima and I'm not sure I would choose the Fusion over the Sonata or Altima. I saw the video that showed testimony to the Fusion but what I don't know is how many of the 600 people actually chose the Fusion over the other cars tested. Ford only stated that the Fusion was the winner. That could simply mean getting 34% of the vote. Also, I don't remember any of the people on the video being asked "If you were going to buy one of these cars today, which one would it be"? I don't remember hearing anyone make a statement that they were actually going out that day and buy the Fusion (but I could be wrong). I think there are too many other considerations to make before one could say that. It's not only initial price and performance but also depreciation, reliability and customer service after the sale, both from the dealer and from the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong. I like Ford products, moreso that GM. I had a bad manufacturer customer service problem 9 years ago from GM and would never buy another new GM (or GM owned) car again. On the Fusion Challenge, I would really like to have that question asked and also to see the complete vote by all 600 people.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It was a closed course designed to highlight advantages of AWD handling.
    They could have put a FWD drive Fusion and a AWD Fusion together and the people would have said they preferred the AWD version on the course just as the people preferred the AWD Fusion to FWD Accords and Camrys.
    I wonder how it would have gone if all the vehicles had been FWD?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    It was a closed course designed to highlight advantages of AWD handling.
    not only that but also 'handicapped' the other two cars with some nice speed limiting stability control systems not even offered on the Ford. There is absolutely no way that anything with that nasty DT is going to compare even close to favorably with those other 2 drivetrains. If you pick out 600 folks put them in front of an appropriately good salesman you will get the results you want - can you say OJ Simpson. 'The Fusion Challenge' should be regarded as the joke that it is and Ford should be ashamed of having to resort to such tactics.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is about the cars. It's not about the shortcomings or difficulties of the manufacturers, it's not about currencies, it's not about geo-politics, it's not about sniping at each other over differences of opinions - it's not about anything except the actual cars.

Once again here is the link to the Automotive News & Views board where conversations about the manufacturers are going on all over the place.

A number of posts have been removed. If this discussion is going to remain viable, you folks have got to cooperate with me on this. I've been asking for your cooperation for a long time and I'm sorry to see I'm not really getting it.

Work with me here please. This is a really good discussion when it's on track. None of us wants to lose it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    my view is ford has a product with a handling advantage and showed it off. it was able to negotiate the course better than the others, eventhough they have more horsepower and a stability control system.
    toyota has a commerical for their new truck that demonstrates it accelerating to 60 quicker than 4 competitors. i like it a lot better than the one that say 'the average truck has x, we have x+1'. that may or may not mean anything in the real world.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    eventhough they have more horsepower and a stability control system.

you don't seem to understand, laying out the course in a particular manner can (and did) negate any horsepower advantage (and probably also prevented the participants from experiencing that wonderful meat grinder that the Ford engine is) and a stability control system will do nothing but get in the way on an open track course like this. A good poker cheat can arrange to get 4 aces every time.
    my thinking is that better handling is more important than more horsepower. are you saying stability control is useless on dry pavement? i would think it was working during the test, and those vehicles would have done worse without it. i am also sure there is some fuel efficiency price to be paid for awd, though.
    I don't think so. Stability control, like on the Camry, which comes on quickly, as in error on the side of safety will slow down the test results. It can not be turned off on the Camry, so slalom test scores may be lower than other cars. It may show lower skid pad results. That said, driven normally and not on the edge control loss, you may not know that there was a stability control on the Camry. Some little, yet wide tracked cars, like the Mini Cooper, I am sure can out slalom say the Porsche (no I did not check - best guess). Doesn't mean the Porsche is not a great handling car and will not dust the little guy on the race track. Have not seen the test track Ford set up, but I would imagine the shorter wheelbase to width + lower car came out on top. If it is shorter track HP indeed will not matter. Actually a go cart may be the winner here. Anyway, the Stability Nanny is for safety and not for better test results, though some advanced, and expensive cars, like the Porsche have it and it will work well at high speed cornering. Not sure what would happen though on slower speed slalom runs. As for getting a car with AWD, I would go Subaru over getting the Ford -- personal preference.
    -Loren
    any post that mentions a mini cooper, porsche and a go kart, only reinforces the handling capabilites of the awd fusion vs the cam/cords.
    :confuse:
    Let's please stick to the midsize sedans here.
    So the fact that the only comparison test that the Fusion won, was a very limited test, that Ford paid for, doesn't smell a little fishy to you? Smells like a Seafood restaurant's dumpster, to me.
    to answer your earlier question, I never said SC was useless, all I said was that it doesn't improve anything and may even inhibit performance in track conditions. m1miats's explanation is right on the mark. Nobody ever said Ford was dumb, it is to the Fusion's advantage that an AWD vehicle without SC is compared against 2WD cars with the system.The Fusions do BTW have an intelligently designed suspensions etc. thanks to Mazda's continued expertise in that area - but both cars do continue to be infected by Ford's inability to build even a passable small engine.
  • jml7jml7 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with you, especially on the engine part, as the Fusion's base I4 is the 2.3 Liter ported over from Mazda.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I agree with you, especially on the engine part, as the Fusion's base I4 is the 2.3 Liter ported over from Mazda.

I would hardly consider this to be a bad thing. That motor is a lot of fun in the Mazda3 and the highline Foci (the lower Mazda3/Focus gets the 2l).
    for many years now the 4 cylinders were Mazda engines, and the 6s were either Vulcans or Duratecs - and the engine to have was certainly the 4 banger, even back in the 80s. Although I have a problem (as it relates to complexity and durability) with turbocharging in general, I'm sure the Speed6 is a blast to drive, and much preferable to the current 220hp Duratec and probably even a 260hp Duratec rehash.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    I test drove the 4 banger before buying the 6 cylinder mazda6 and found that even in the heavier hatchback, the four cylinder was very fun to drive. Of course driving style needed to change; although it could go into a corner a bit quicker, it was a bit more important to keep the revs up to have access to enough torque to pull out of a corner quickly. But I was impressed by how smooth the 4 cylinder was; mated to a manual transmission, this engine and the mazda6 were a good match. The v-6 has quite a bit more torque down low, so even though there's a bit more understeer mid-turn, the v-6 handles very well for a car in this class.

But in comparison to the mazdaspeed6, well that thing is a beast. I think I heard that this engine/turbo package was rated as one of the best engines in the world. Plus adding AWD helps keep all that power and torque to the road. The amazing thing is that the speed6 can be had starting in the 22k range since demand has been less than stellar. For those who would like to have a Grand Tourer type car, the Speed6 would be a great choice.
    Only a leftover 2006 Mazdaspeed6 can be had for around $22K because 2006 models have a $4750 rebate. 2007s are much higher in price.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I own the Mazda6 4 banger and it is a blast to drive. Anyoen who says not probably hasn't driven one. The car handles like it is on rails and dances like a ballarina. In the straight line (not a normal driving condition may I add) I will get ate alive by many cars. In the corners and through traffic (real world conditions), the car makes everyone honest.
  • jimmy81jimmy81 Member Posts: 170
    I don't get this riding on rails business. Shoot - my old Geo Storm was a tight little handler. Most small cars sit low and are go cart oriented. Its not like other cars in this class are top heavy and lean hard in the turns.
  • scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    motor Trend had a review of the Aura, I'm sure its a nice car. But Motor Trend made reference to the .2 second difference in 0-60 times between the Fusion and Aura... Faster, ok, but can you count to .2 seconds? :surprise:

More features? like what?
    "Most of those "unreliable" domestics you are speaking of arent even unreliable per CR's tables in the new car issue."

Another place to see all those "unreliable Fords/GM products is MSN reliability data.. This will open your eyes! :surprise:
    What?? Fusion has nothing in common with the Taurus. Get it straight man! The 3.0 Duratec in the Taurus does NOT have VVT for one! The suspension and drive train are not Taurus either!

As far as your 30 year track record with the Accord.. Better go back and look at all those recalls for transmissions, electrical issues and more over those past 30 years :blush: The Accord is in no way perfect if you did your homework. I dumped my 2000 Accord for issues, that is why I'll never buy another one. Honda= overpriced, overrated and overdone for me!
    "Most of those "unreliable" domestics you are speaking of arent even unreliable per CR's tables in the new car issue."

Being reliable, isn't everything. Just one thing, in a long list.
    This topic is about midsize SEDANS. It is not Ford vs Honda. It is not foreign vs domestic. It is not large size sedans. It is not engines. It is not anything but head to head comparisons of the specific vehicles listed at the top of this page.

Those who want to continue to participate here have got to stick to the subject.
    booyahcramer, please email asap - pat AT edmunds.com. Thank you.
    "It was a closed course designed to highlight advantages of AWD handling.
    They could have put a FWD drive Fusion and a AWD Fusion together and the people would have said they preferred the AWD version on the course just as the people preferred the AWD Fusion to FWD Accords and Camrys.
    I wonder how it would have gone if all the vehicles had been FWD?

Please, please, please, read the whole article. They were V6 Accord/Camry. So, since the Accord/Camry come with stability control, and the Fusion does not? then it would have been unfair again? They were "comparably priced". Meaning you can get an AWD Fusion for the same price as the Camry/Accord... It also give numbers of people who chose the Fusion, along with interviews. I just don't understand why it is so hard to believe a Ford could actually win something.. :sick:
    If Toyota or Honda had set up a closed course that they designed to highlight advantages of stability control (such emergency high speed lane changes/obstacle avoidance etc.) it would have been just as biased as Ford's closed course for AWD.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    (I think I'll try and start some new topics)

SO! The Fusion and Legacy have All-Wheel Drive! Who is using their all-wheel drive in this wintry weather much of the country is having?

Who has driven the new Kia Optima? Anybody here bought one? They look pretty promising as long as you are shopping 4-cylinders, but the V6 is WAY outgunned by other V6s in this group.

What are you looking for the next (2008) Accord to be offering? A more sporty flair, or a bias to luxury? Will the V6 have 4-cylinder economy or will it have class leading power, or both? Or neither?

(Take it from here, or come up with a new topic maybe?) :)
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    FWIW, the Fusion AWD system is not all that its made out to be. Its the cheap version that runs in FWD mode until slip is detected then some power is transfered to the rear. True AWD systems such as those in found in a Subaru are far superior in slippery snowy/icy conditions because you always have some amount of power to all 4 wheels at all times, not only when the sensors start to predict/detect slipping.

On a closed circuit with emphasis on handling, little things can make a big difference... wrong tire inflation pressures for example. People who take part in autocross events would know this but not the average person off the street. The Fusion could have been setup better than the Camry/Accord ie. "tuned" for this particular showcase.
    Yes, but with full-time AWD comes a heavier fuel economy penalty. Honda's CR-V uses a similar setup to the Fusion AWD, and I've heard few complaints except that people wanting to "off-road" in the CR-V wanted a true 4WD system.

Downside to the Fusion's system? AWD won't do as much for everyday handling until slip begins to occur. Until that happens, it will still handle like a typical front-drive car, not like, say, and Audi A6 Quattro, which is very balanced with its AWD system, I believe.
    3.6-liter XR's 6.3-second 0-to-60
    Fusion V6 is 7.2 0-60
    Yeap, both are quick enough.
    I have not personally driven the Fusion with a six yet. I did drive the Aura 3.5 and 3.6 and will tell ya, the 3.6 is fast, with lots of torque. The six speed works fine. I believe Intellichoice lists the Fusion SE V6 as worse than average value rating as in cost to own. The Aura is listed as average. The Honda Accord naturally is rated better than average. If I was buying a car, and was sure I would be happy with the car for at least seven years, and the car company is around to back the car, then yeap, no problem. Problems arise if you somehow get a car you wish to back out of, as in selling. Low resale could hurt. I have no problem with the Fusion in most respects. Not the fastest car, yet fast enough - price seems pretty fair when discounted - cornering ability and agility is good - looks pretty nice, and it appears that Mexico is putting out a car with good initial quality scores. The caveat of course is in the years to come, reliability, resale, and Fords health. If I am willing to assume some risk, and the price is right, I suppose I could venture in. A journey into the unknown. I am considering buying the Aura, which is made in USA, and is projected to have average resale value. Once again a leap of faith though compared to buying a Honda. Seems to be a little less with the GM vs. the Ford product, but once again things change. In 2005 I bought a PT Cruiser, which had an average rating for total cost to own. Now it seems to have fallen into a poor zone for total price, as resale is faltering. At least I bought the lowest end one, some I did not dive off into the high water. :blush:

It would be good for the US economy of course to see GM and Ford healthy once again. The Fusion though made across the border, throws some money Fords way, as would buying the Aura, which is made here in the States throws money into the GM pot. While I am impressed with the Accord SE V6 and i4 cars I tested, I was also pleased to find a good handling Fusion, with sharp looks, and the Aura having lots of the same attributes of an Accord. The total cost of ownership between the three cars mentioned appears to be all too predictable, and thus some sacrifice is required.
    -Loren
  • virusvirus Member Posts: 21
    I'm not quite certain why they didn't test the Camry SE instead of the XLE which is not sporty at all.
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    The fuel economy penalty is usually very small - like 1-2 mpg, and this partly is due to the extra baggage for the AWD drivetrain.

There is reason to believe that VSC is better than AWD as a safety feature while cornering. And Toyota's VDIM is even better than VSC, though its only currently available on some Lexus models. Check out this post that compared AWD+VSC compared to RWD+VDIM...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152498

The Fusion AWD will be useful in slippery conditions in a straight line (think traction control operation). It still will never have the ability to correct for cornering forces and compensate like VSC can. The VSC available in the Accord/Camry is a better safety feature IMO. And further evolutions of VSC (such as VDIM) could be better than lower forms of AWD (with VSC).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Optima may be the sleeper here. Recently it's garnered very positive reviews from MT (a finalist for COTY), C/D (third to Altima and Accord, but not by a large margin), and CR. It's been praised for its strong I4, quality interior, and good blend of ride and handling. And it's one of the lowest-priced mid-sized cars. Even fuel economy (for the I4) is decent, with its 5-speed stick or slushbox. The major downsides are Kia's history of poor reliability and resale value, and ABS and ESC are both optional (and not even available on the LX MT). Also the IIHS side impact test scores aren't out yet. Otherwise it looks to me like a nice package. The styling is ho-hum, but nothing that is offensive.
    My sister has a new Optima. I asked her how she liked it, and she said the only real complaint she has is the seats (not enough cushioning). She sounded satisfied with it, for the price.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    VSC as Toyota/Lexus call it is the next big thing in safety. So much so thst the NIHS is reccomending that it be standard on all vehicles sold in America. It may end up saving more lives than seatbelts.
    Having owned a Highlander AWD, Tundra D Cab 4WD, Scion xB, and now a Camry, all with VSC, I have personally experienced VSC in action. My '05 Tundra SR5 was ordered with it - now it is standard on all Tundras.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Just to set the record straight, Ford's AWD system will shift power to the rear BEFORE slip is detected under certain circumstances such as higher throttle input. It's not just reactive like some of the other systems.

And the difference in the Fusion Challenge vs. all of the other media tests? This one was decided by regular drivers and vehicle owners, not by automotive journalists trying to sell magazines.
    And the difference in the Fusion Challenge vs. all of the other media tests? This one was decided by regular drivers and vehicle owners, not by automotive journalists trying to sell magazines.

And paid for and edited by Ford who is trying to sell Fusions, not magazines. I think I'd rather trust a magazine editor than one working for Ford. Or, just make the decision myself.
    There is reason to believe that VSC is better than AWD as a safety feature while cornering
    actually the systems serve different purposes - a true AWD/4WD will actually improve driveability especially in slippery conditions and one reason why the Subaru is the 'national' car of New England. VSC/Trac can get in the way in those same road conditions and is construed as a safety feature in that it will prevent the driver from exceeding whatever the mfgr (or their lawyers) has decided is that vehicle's cornering limits. Depending on how the system is set, of course, it is more valuable as a safety feature on normal road conditions.
    You mentioned VDIM which had an interesting effect on the cornering (slalom) ability in the Lexus GS. Slalom speed was reduced because the computer 'thought' that the course traffic cones were impending accidents and the car shutdown before a competitive result could be achieved. The Toyota/Lexus systems, of course, not user defeatable.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    "VSC/Trac can get in the way in those same road conditions..."

You keep saying this same sort of thing, but I think you are mistaken. ESC does help in slippery conditions.

It also can improve the vehicles capabilities in some situations. I believe that the only time it is detrimental is if you are stuck in deep snow or want to plow through deep snow and, therefore, want to spin the wheels, this is the only time our manual suggests you might want to turn it off temporarily.

ESC is able to apply braking to individual wheels, you can not do this yourself. This can improve the vehicles cornering or accident avoidance abilities.

Perhaps Toyota just has a crappy system. Or perhaps the sloppy Toyota handling leads them to having to have a more intrusive system.

We have a VW and their system certainly does help in slippery conditions. I don't think it has ever engaged itself in any other circumstances. I did have to make a very sudden lane change at high speed once, but I think the car did it without the ESC coming on...it certainly did not reduce my speed.
This discussion has been closed.