Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646

You have to admit Hyundai did copy Honda.

"Of course the Sonata is not exactly Audi A4 or A6, but its very close to anything that resemble those cars(hyundai has said straight up those were the cars to copy)"
    The closest car it resembles IMO is the Accord. The Sonata IMO does not look like the A6. If you dont think so, i am going to try to ask my friend who owns a 2004 Accord to park it next to my other friends 2006 Sonata.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    the only thing that Hyundai "copied" was the color scheme of the tailights.....red on top, white on bottom. The shape of the tailights isn't the same at all, and that's why the Hyundai looks better.

Face it, if you switched the styling around on the cars, you'd hear about how ugly the Hyundai was and how good looking the Honda was from all of the Honda fans. You can say that the styling of the Sonata is derivative, but what car doesn't have some sort of derivative styling?

I agree that styling is subjective to a point, but I don't think that too many people can honestly argue that the Accord is better looking than the Sonata, because it's not, and that's a fact. :)
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83

Here is more what the Hyundai look like in the front. As for the rear just flip over the tail lights and adjust the mid line to agree with the tail lights and there you go almost an accord. But, who cares, the Sonata looks better.">
    Where have i ever clearly stated "Accord looks better than the Sonata"
    I agree the Sonata looks better than the Accord. But what i am trying to explain is they look similiar. You are just looking at the little details that put the cars apart.
  • fezzyfezzy Member Posts: 83
    They just about admit that they did use other cars for their inspirations but who doesn't. The ford 500 looks like a passat from the side.
    The Sonata is a great looking sedan but it looks to much like an Accord from the back and about a dozen sedans in the front. And for all you people who say "It looks nothing like the Accord" If its so different just by straightening the lights of the Sonata and adjusting the midline to agree with the tailights should not make it look identical to the Accord.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    the Sonata is an excellent vehicle, and a tremendous value. The only reason I mentioned the Accord in conjunction with styling is because someone (cant even remember who) made a claim that the Sonata is something extra in terms of styling. Its not. But thats not what counts- ride, efficiency, room, acceleration, handling, reliability, safety, etc (not necessarily in that order) are what matters to many buyers in this segment. Nobody's buying an Accord or Camry to make a personal statement, and they're not going to buy the Sonata for that reason either.

~alpha
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    Yes i said they did something extra and its true.

Look at the detail of the exterior, though some may say conservative, all the lines are in harmony from front to end and side to side. Also look at smaller details like the twin exhaust pipes and even to the design of the alloy wheels(its gorgeous). Also look at the front end jewel lights(what mid size car maker would add such a thing). Thats what i call extra , extra little detail i guess you wouldn't notice

The 2007 Accord and Camry according to alot of sources will still discount such details, frankly cuz its not in their agenda, which to me shows lack of effort in comparison to what sonata is trying to do, which is try to make a car upscale as possible even though it clearly does not belong there looking at its price range.

Also Ctalk how u dun think the it resembles the Audi A6 is beyond me. i'd say 70 percent of the car resembles it, especially from the sides and certain design elements( i mean even hyundai admitted it themselves). How much more objective can you get
    The 2007 Accord and Camry according to alot of sources will still discount such details Sources? If your going to say such a thing you should back it up with raw data.

"Look at the detail of the exterior, though some may say conservative, all the lines are in harmony from front to end and side to side. Also look at smaller details like the twin exhaust pipes and even to the design of the alloy wheels(its gorgeous). Also look at the front end jewel lights(what mid size car maker would add such a thing). Thats what i call extra , extra little detail i guess you wouldn't notice" You have to realize that its your opinion, you may be speaking for others but the majority agree that Sonata is although clean and handsome, needs to distinguish itself from others (In other words needs 'pizzaz'). I agree with alpha that styling isn't a selling point for the Sonata but many others are (price, room, safety)

The Sonata does have some similarities to the A6 but i feel (IMO) that the Sonata looks closest to the Accord (from the behind).
    Where have i ever clearly stated "Accord looks better than the Sonata"

I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm saying that there are certain people who will say that the Accord looks better simply because it's a Honda.

I was replying to you because I don't agree that Hyundai "copied" the Accord's rear end 100%. If Hyundai flat out copied the Accord's rear end, the Sonata would look like crap just like the Accord, and it doesn't, so Hyundai clearly did something different.
    I agree with alpha that styling isn't a selling point for the Sonata

I disagree. Styling isn't totally irrelevant, even in this class. I passed on the Accord because of styling alone. All around, the Accord is a better car than the Mazda6, probably best in class....but it looks like crap.
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    When I first saw the Sonata's taillamps, I felt that they were similar to an Accord's, but much better looking. Huyndai did a much better job. I don't remember exactly, I believe MT or CD metioned the same too. As a Honda fan, I felt that this is the design the Accord should have had.

As for the front, I prefer the Accord, but that's just my .2
    What i mean is styling is not a selling point for Sonata. What Choe13 said is the Sonata's styling is the 'best in the class' and will be the best for years to come (which i disagree with)

I didn't say the Sonata is exactly like the Accord, but i said it is SIMILIAR, and i know i'm not alone on that.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    choe, I deleted your last picture - it is way too wide for this page. Please make it a similar width to the ones posted recently and repost. Thanks.
    V6

I4 even looks great

best looking mid size cars in their price range in my opinion

my bad pat Host, i know if you could reply you would even say its a great looking mid size car
  • oldjoeoldjoe Member Posts: 132
    The split RED/WHITE taillight assembly for the rear end of the Honda is only for the 2003-2004 models. The 2005 Honda Accord has RED tail lights with only a small white backup light integrated into them. So the 2006 Hyundai Sonata is copying a tail light scheme from the 2003-2004 Honda Accord...not produced on a Honda Accord sine the 2004 model...two years old copying...well it's better than nothing. of course the fit and finish of the Hyundai will not even be close to the Honda...

Owner of a Honda Accord EX-L
    "better than nothing. of course the fit and finish of the Hyundai will not even be close to the Honda"

explain to me how you know this
    I know about the red and white only for 03-04. :P i own a 2005 EX V6 and i did notice the change colour.

I will have to disagree with you about the fit and finish in honda being better, i have driven the new Sonata and i have to say its a great car. Although i like my Accord better, if i was on a tight budget, and was only allowed to spend 20,000 i would buy the Sonata.
  • jcee1jcee1 Member Posts: 5
    Good Looking Honda !!!! Sharp !!!!! I just got a 2005 Honda Accord EXL three weeks ago and love it!!!! I had one in 1997 Was a very good car....
    I look at a lot of cars and it came down to the Saab 9-3 and the Honda Accord EXL....
    The honda won out in a close race....

Drop me aline some time if you like and we can chat about Hondas...

jnc@carolina.rr.com

JC in NC
    "The 2007 Accord and Camry according to alot of sources will still discount such details, frankly cuz its not in their agenda, which to me shows lack of effort in comparison to what sonata is trying to do, which is try to make a car upscale as possible even though it clearly does not belong there looking at its price range."

I have did some research on the internet and it all contradicts what your saying about the NG Camry (couldn't find any on Accord though). Toyota is actually improving its designs and it started with the Avalon.
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Of course Hyundai can copy the Accord tail lights all day long as they do other makes so well like the last Sonata, what a design mish-mash! It wants to be a Mercedes wow. Lets see how famous they are for racking up 270,000 miles like the 4 cyl. Accords will do of past and now. Resale is still the bottom of the barrel and the new one won't change in this department any time soon.

The Japanese are still way out on top in overall refinement, engine technology and durability, don't be fooled by Hyundai's marketing pitch on this. No need to get a $20K Sonata when the all new 06 Civic rolls out in the fall with avail. 200hp and CVT transmission. Honda's engine technology alone blows away the Koreans and smokes the domestics by far.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Obviously you have not driven a '06 Sonata or you would not be comparing it to a Civic (which btw is not a mid-sized car). There is no comparison, especially to the V6 Sonata. With the last-gen Sonata already known for its reliability, soon the only major advantage the Accord has over the Sonata will be predicted resale value. With the Sonata priced thousands less than comparably-equipped Accords, that is not an issue as soon as the "new model fever" is over on the Sonata.

As for who is copying whom on tailights, take a close look at the photo on the 2nd row, far left on this page--which mid-sized sedan does this rear end resemble?

http://www.lexus.com/models/gs/gallery_exterior_photos.html
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Well, hate to break it to ya my friend...but things have changed significantly over the past year.

Yes I do believe that the Sonata is a bland car, boring in so many ways and no more stylish than the Accord or Camry.

BUT, and that's a BIG BUT...you can't deny how far along this car has really come.

It is literally beating the Accord and Camry at its own game.

And as far as resale value is concerned. The last generation Altima had ifffy resale value. This generation has great resale (up there with Accord and Camry)

Now if the Altima (which I own) can have resale up there with the Accord and Camry but not be as good, what makes you think this new Sonata can't, when it is better in many ways than the competition???

And who cares if the Civic offers 200hp (which is for the SI COUPE BTW), it wouldn't do a conusmer any good if they need a midsize car.
    Wow your funny. A civic are you joking?? puhahaha

Man you need to wake up and smell the coffee. Guess which car right now is manhandling the civic? The mazda 3 and even the corolla. As for the new one coming out, the sedan looks nasty, though i will admit the coupe looks like its going to be a fine car. But still don't be coming onto a mid size comparison thread and using the civic to compare to the 2006 sonata. How much bigger is the sonata? how much more horsepower? how more everything? you really think a guy who is 6 feet will have a stinkin civic as their alternative to a mid size?? than you are nuts

Also like i said you need to wake up about this overall refinement, engine tech and durability whatnot. Did the accord even make 2004 JD quality top 3?(even its own owners felt there were some problems here and there). BTW my 96 accord literally died by 177 k even with all the best car treatments available. My car before the 93 sunbird died at 222 k and it was used and not even that well taken cared off. I think engine life after 150 K is really hard to predict for any cars

I think if you test drive the 2006 sonata, you would actually not believe you just said that
    Um, guess again. The Sonata came out first to the public. Which cars did Lexus copy?

Also, if you compare the front end of the Maybach with that of the XG350 in its latest restyle you'll notice quite clearly that Maybach copied their front end from Hyundai. That is, if one subscribes to the theory that if a part of a new car looks even remotely like part of another car released earlier, than the manufacturer of the new car intentionally copied from the older car. Personally, I don't subscribe to that theory. But I guess some people do.
    I am an owner of an 05 Accord EX-V6, i have test drove the Sonata and i have to say its a great car. Ample power, Loaded (in features) etc. Hyundai has came a long way. Although it may not be considered at the level of Honda and Toyota, it is getting there. I admit i use to look down on Hyundai, but the new Sonata has changed the way i look at Hyundai.
    It's just the Sonata looks like too many cars IMO. If its going to be considered a 'Next generation vehicle' it should have more orignal styling.

If Hyundai is going to copy other sedans, it should atleast make it more original. Ex: The TL copied the 3's side, atleast they dont look very alike (like Sonata is to Accord)
    You honda guys can keep on saying the 06 sonata copied the accord, yet i bet you if you had a chance to talk to either the hyundai prez or chief engineer, they would tell you they certainly did their best to copy mostly the audi a6(publically admitted themselves).

As well please PLEASE take a look at the cars front shape lights. With this there were not really many other choices they had to make the backlights(because the front and back complement each other well). If you can picture the front of the car, you can tell, in rational desighn, the back makes perfect sense.

With the accord this was not the case, and EVEn they know this themselves and they are changing their back end. I can thow alot of harsh stones and say the back totally is copied of a 2005 Galant(which is true at a first glance) , but the new 07 backend, actually does complement the front lights alot better, so to me, if thats what you have to do to create harmony in design, than thats better for them.
    Cars, faces, and perception of beauty...

Studies have been done of what kind of women's faces people see as "beautiful". The result? The nondescript faces devoid of exceptional features (some may say "bland" or "boring") were judged most beautiful by most people. There are exceptions, of course--e.g. some people like big lips, or big eyes. Overall, though, "bland is beautiful."

Don't think that these kinds of studies are lost on car designers. Very unusual styling doesn't sell well (e.g. Pacer, Aztek, current 7 Series). Cars with clean lines and pleasing proportions do sell well, because they appeal to the masses. It should be clear why Hyundai went the direction they did with the '06 Sonata--make the styling of the car more "mainstream", to appeal to a larger number of potential buyers than did the previous Sonata with its bolder styling.

Anyway, if you think the Sonata looks like the Accord because both have horizontal tailights with both red and white plastic in them, then I know you also will admit that Honda copied the rear of the Accord from the mid-80s Buick Skylark.
    You may think your speaking for everyone (except 'honda guys) But i can give you a huge list of reviews who agree that the Sonata does look the the Accord. I admit the 2006 Accord does look like the Galant but the difference is when you look at the Sonata (you immediately think Accord) The same can not be said about the Accord and Galant (or Grand Prix). But really when you look at the Sonata do you really honestly think A6 (from behind).

The same can be said for you 'Sonata guys.' You think the Sonata looks like a A6, but not an Accord.

Backy- The Sonata is a handsome sedan. Earlier Choe13 said Hyundai did extra with its styling (adding 'pizzaz') which i disagree with. I dont see styling as Sonata's selling point. I just dont like how Hyundai has such an unoriginal design (I know thats just my opinion but i know some people agree with me).

Anyways, we should end this styling talk we're not going anywhere.
    i think the truth is as an accord owner you are scared of how good the 06 sonata is. That is the reason why you have to use such a silly excuse as the back end looking like the accord.

Clearly as everyone has put it, there is absolutely no sense trying to copy an inferior back design, and i don't think Hyundai is ran by dummies. If it was so great honda wouldnt' refresh it themselves.

Lastly you talk about that canot be said about the accord and galant? that is pure BS. you just say that using Hondas reputation and power , and that they are so original and etc.Whatever man.
    I admited the new Sonata is a great vehicle, i never said its bad. Silly excuse..? Come on, stop denying that the Sonata does look like the Accord from the back. If its that much different than why are reviews saying "Remind you of an Accord? If so, your not alone"

that is pure BS. you just say that using Hondas reputation and power , and that they are so original and etc.Whatever man
    You know whats also pure BS, you saying the Sonata doesn't look like the Accord (from behind).

Edmunds just did an overview of the Sonata
    All in all, though, the 2006 Sonata looks a lot like the current-generation Honda Accord, especially from the rear. We're not sure this is an altogether bad thing, but Hyundai would probably be better off giving the Sonata a more distinct look.
    Can you find one review that says "the sonata looks nothing like the Accord" if you do post it.
  • boltmanboltman Member Posts: 85
    The Hyundai Sonata has a style all its own... and yes it does appeal to a wide variety of people. I could have bought any new car for the past few years! But #1 I don't like new car payments and #2 There has been NOTHING (that would be practical) that has thrilled me up until this year (the G35 the only possible exception)!

So what car did I want?? (my self imposed limit of up to $40K+ ) It has been 15 years since I bought MY last car (1989 Mustang LX 5.0). The last two were my wife's choices with my guidance (1995 Contour V6 her 1st new car then turned into my car and 1999 Windstar V6 her second new vehicle). So this was MY turn all bets were off!

My priorities.. fun to drive car,decent family room, safety, mileage,realiability, style, value and warranty. Needs to last ten years plus!

This ruled out most 2-doors, cars with lousy back seats, cars with lousy reliability and overpriced cars! So I searched...

I looked at "used" Lexus G430 (nice car,needs premium gas,4 years old,new too pricey)
    I looked at Prius (nice MPG but no good deals, long term repair costs, low power/fun)
    I considered the G35 new and used ( very nice cars think they need premium as well)
    I looked at new Mustang GT (great design and power w/ decent mpg, lousy back seat)
    I looked at new Pontiac G6 (nice backseat and panoramic sunroof , low on power)
    I looked at Saab 9-3 (very nice car with innovative features, repair shop time a big factor)
    Accord's or Camry's not even on my radar! (Too something I'm not)

I also looked at the 2006 Sonata LX... Even at MSRP (under 25K) this car is a great package! Built in America for America with a brand new 235 HP V6 engine expected to last 300K+. Lots of power (feels nearly as fast as my Mustang 5.0 to me), tons of safety features, MP3 stereo 6 disk changer that lets me have 72+hours of music and podcasts at my fingertips, nice handling, nice braking, beautiful paint job, 17" euroflange alloys, homelink mirror w/ auto dim, I could go on and on but I'll end with looks like a much more expensive car than it is especially in Ebony Black! My neighbor thought it was a $50,000+ Lexus at first.

I don't buy that the Sonata "looks" like an Accord or Camry when you take the entire package together they are all different. Accords are very nice cars.. my father in law has a new 2005 Accord Hybrid V6 (top of the line) which I drove ... I like my Sonata LX much better (also my car was over $5,000 less). Camrys are nice cars as well (Can't argue with Toyota/Lexus reliability) but a little on the sedate side of things for me. So for me the Sonata looks much better overall to either of those makes. In fact I think Lexus and Infinity will need to watch their back very soon... the Koreans are coming. I find it ironic that the new 2006 Lexus has the same back end as my Sonata! Hyundai is doing something very right here!

So really when you compare the feature sets, the overall price and the styles I think Hyundai has a lot going for it. Then when you can negotiate almost $2000 off an already decent price.... well that made a quick decision for me. I love this car!

Not to mention that it was nearly the least expensive of my choices. Love the feeling of that change jingling in my pockets.
    ugly back

Nice back
    Wow why dont you say that to edmunds, cause they agree with what i'm saying.
    Now your just changing the topic, like i said before if you find a reviewer that CLEARLY states "the Sonata does not look like an Accord" then post.
    5 series? now just getting desperte and you know i am right.
    when I'm driving the car I most mistake for a 2006 Sonata is the Accord! So Yes they do bear a resemblence....

However so do most wine bottles but as you examine then the differences are evident.

and when you compare the features well Hyundai has some that neither Toyota or Honda offer as standard or even at any price yet!

Before you mention GPS... I've already got one (Garmin).

Plus I like the looks of the twisted H better than Honda's "I have to go" H !!!

Have to admit Hyundai hit a solid one here.
    2007 accord(copies galant and G35 back lights detail in Ctalks perspective)

ALSO the 2007 accord by Ctalks perspective copies the 2002-2005 Altima trunk shape back end
    :) Finally someone who admits they do bear some resembelence. Wine bottles... no offence or anything but how do they relate to similar styling?
    The Sonata is a great vehicle, very well priced (but i like the EX V6 better than the LX)

H and Hyundai's H :P I hope you didn't buy the car just for that reason.. :P
    Ctalks perspective? when did i ever say that...
    Ok really I dont see how the Galant and the Accord look SO Similar. But i see how the Sonata and Accord look similar. OK odviously you did not read my lasts posts. You said the Accord and Sonata dont look similar if you can find a review that clearly states "Sonata does not look anything like the Accord" please post it.
    The answer is from afar they look the same but it you compare what is in the bottle there are vast differences... yes they can both get you drunk but there are so many nuiances in the bottle itself.

You even have to admit from the side by side photos (or up to down) there is little resemblence but on the road there is something very similar as I have not mistaken any other car for a 2006 Sonata but a late model Honda Accord. Don't quite know why that is. Must be something besides just the tailights.
    The answer is from afar they look the same but it you compare what is in the bottle there are vast differences... yes they can both get you drunk but there are so many nuiances in the bottle itself.
    I dont see how it relates to Similar looking cars.

Really it looks similar to the 05 Accord? I think it looks like the 03-04 Accord (look at page 11 I posted a picture of an 03-04 Accord next to the Sonata, have a look). I parked my 05 Accord beside the 06 Sonata. They dont look the same to me (well they do look a bit similar, they have the same shape).

Anyways, finally someone who admits they look similar :)
    Ctalk...

I looked at the pictures and you are 100% CORRECT. I think those are probably the years I'm mistaking the most. Now that I look at them I think the reason the 2006 Sonata and 03-04 Accord look similar is that their tailights are negatives of each other (reverses). The proportions and colors are similar hence the similar back end appearance.

Of course that Honda Accord didn't have chrome tipped dual exhaust.. but I digress.
  • truethattruethat Member Posts: 123
    I've been coming here and reading your posts (here and other discussion fora)
    for a while now.
    Thanks for your insights. I really think you guys write wonderful (and passionate)
    opinions and that really is generally a good thing.
    Somewhere around the time of the Midsize Comparo results, all these nonsense
    (and nastiness) started to show up.

Did Hyundai copy Honda in Sonata tail lights?
    You guys really think that's worth all these time and effort?
    I don't see where this discussion is going.
    You'll never settle such pointless arguement, don't you think?
    And does it really mean anything if one side wins?
    Maybe it's time to move on. I think you guys said all there is to be said about
    that specific subject.

Anyhow,

I am about to buy a car for myself (it'll be the first car i'll be able to call "mine").
    I am extremely interested in both Sonata and Accord.
    Sonata has shown awful resale values (although it just might get a little better)
    and the Accord is getting a little old (in terms of design i guess)

I went to the Korean website for Sonata and they must have come out with new
    edition (very minor facelift?) for 2006. (I guess the model has been around for
    almost a year now over there) And frankly, I'm really impressed. Do you think
    they'll have this edition available in the US soon?(perhaps with a nav?)

My friend owns an Accord and I test-drove (so to speak) a couple times and
    obviously there is very little I can complain about the performance of the car.
    Its styling (at this point) doesn't really seem like a selling point since they'll
    probably have a major change coming not too far from now. Is there any insight
    you guys can give me about the 2007 accord? (in terms of styling or performance, or anything?)

I am throwing questions at you because
    1. it will be my first car and very important decision,
    2. and I really want you to move on.

You guys are better than the silly scrutinization of every word posted.
    Exactly what i said before, we should stop.

Are you buying the top of the line models? If so i would suggest you go with a Accord. I felt the front seats were more comfortable, interior has a better look (exterior, i have to say it goes to Sonata), leather felt more rich and came with features i like (dual-zone climate control, power passenger) If your looking to the lower end models like LX-G i would go with the Sonata, it comes with a lot of features at a great price.

You should test drive the Sonata, its a great car, ample power, roomy, feature packed at a great price etc. Resale value will increase for the Sonata, you wont have to worry about that (but i'm not 100% sure). Navigation? I'm not sure when the Sonata is going to get. There are rumours going around saying it will be in the Sonata in November, but its not backed up by solid evidence.

About the 2007 Accord, its actually a 2006 Accord. The EX-V6 will have a 6 speed manual. The lower end models (LX, LX-V6) will have more standard feautures like alloys, moonroof (i'm not totally sure though) Vehicle stability control will be standard on V6 models. If you want to know how it looks go to Edmunds future vehicles or vtec.net.

Note: Edmunds just did an overview of the Sonata and i noticed on Cons they put "Still doesn't match the segment leaders when it comes to overall refinement"

I highly suggest you test drive both vehicles, to see which one fits you best. For me it was the Accord.
    the 2007 accord will get a very mild mid cycle refresh. A couple of horsepower upgrades, some little add ons for the suspension, maybe some freshening up of the interior and the major change for the back.

Would i buy it? No way. Its not enough changes to warrant a buy

I think since it will be a car you want for the next little while and as you said will be important for you, you should check out 2007 Camry and 2006 sonata, which are pretty much brand new cars and have more modern buildings. Sonata is also priced very low for what it can give you

I dun think you should worry about resale that much, hyundai for example gives you 10 years engine warranty that will no doubt increase your resale value

Take some cars for a test drive, but if i were you, i would eye on the sonata and 2007 new camry
  • 03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Chloe, if you compare the 03-05 accord to the new sonata, there is a definite resemblance. Its not just the taillamps, it the over all design, the way the bumper meets the taillamps and the fender, the style of the licence place holder etc.

There was a picture posted earlier that compared those two, they did look similar. I do agree with you, the Sonata's back looks better than the Accord, in fact as an Accord owner, I would have wanted those on the back of my car.

Now, as far as the car itself goes, I am sure the Sonata is a huge improvement over its predecessor, but as of now, the Accord and Camry remain the benchmarks in this class. It takes time to wipe the slate clean.
    For pictures of the 2007 Camry go to
    2007 camry
    looks very stylish to me. It is believed to come out possibly in March of 06. It will be one of the most powerful sedans out, it is believed to have 260+ hp. The Accord will get 10hp increase on its Inline4 and 6 cylinder models, in order to compete with the upcoming Camry. Dont look down on the Accord even though its been out for a long time. It is still a very strong player, and should definetly be considered when buying an midsize (its safe, comfortable, powerful, refined) and i really honestly dont see how the Sonata is 'a generation ahead' of Accord.
    Note: I dont think Honda is ready to lose it 10 best spot on Car and Driver.

I expect the next Camry to have a sportier demeanor and a stylish exterior. Toyota has been improving its designs starting with the current Avalon, and has been improving their "boring, bland" images.

You should test drive the Sonata and Accord (and i highly suggest you wait for the 07 Camry). Keep us posted on your decision ;)
    Me and Choe have been argueing over the topic 'Sonata looks like Accord' for a very long time. PLEASE do not bring it up again!

Now, as far as the car itself goes, I am sure the Sonata is a huge improvement over its predecessor, but as of now, the Accord and Camry remain the benchmarks in this class. It takes time to wipe the slate clean.
    Very true, but Hyundai is definitely going to make a dent.
    "am sure the Sonata is a huge improvement over its predecessor, but as of now, the Accord and Camry remain the benchmarks in this class"

do you think the sonata is like a pontiac G6 or something?? Please take a look at the edmunds mid size comparo if you haven't and see who won. Even if it was a full fledge V6 comparison , hyundai would still win having a great price kicker(that couldn't ever save them before)

Also 03accordman, like your nickname insist, i think its a good bet to say you own an accord. Why don't you back what you say about benchmark etc, and take a measily test drive of this sonata(even just for fun).

Until then u can't be talking about this past glory accord and camry are benchmarks, things change. And i believe i'm in a better seat position to know that things change, because i test driven all three in the past month, and the sonata was found to be the new benchmark mid size car in my books. The camry and accord just aren't as sophisticated and classy currently compared to the sonata
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    This board seems to have become a bastion for a useless argument on styling, which is totally a personally preference, and one that, in research studies, has historically ranked low on the scale as deciding factors in this segment. Perhaps we can go back to debating these car's merits, and include a few others, such as the Altima and 6?

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.