Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread

Comments

• m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    So what ya think of a CVT transmission? I think I would miss the shift of gears feel. I am getting old fashioned, or just don't like missing that old time feeling - take your pick ;)
    -Loren
  • choe13choe13 Member Posts: 348
    altima two thumbs up and sentra= the nastiest designed small car

man is it nasty. Look for the elantra to come in and do some damage to that segment. Its interior is better than the civc and mazda 3 imo

Hyundai with also the santa fe, is going to be a dangerous auto company in years to come
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    Hyundai Sonata won the 2006 Driver's Choice Award in Family Sedan. Keep up the good work Hyundai!!!
    Some people will be whining about this news. But I don't care.
    this car just keeps winning awards after awards.

highest owner satisfaction as well
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    How can you say the all-new 2007 Sentra is "nasty"? Have you sat in it yet? Driven it? It looks to me like it will be a major improvement over the current Sentra. Like the Elantra, the new Sentra just crosses the bar into mid-sized territory, right? So the 2007 Elantra and Sentra will provide alternatives for buyers who need a roomy sedan on a small budget, but don't need the room and power of mid-sizers like the Altima, Camcord, Fulan, Sonata, etc.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The industry seems to think so; the magazine testers seem to think so; and the consumers seem to think so.

To be precise.. '..some consumers...' most don't though.

Actually only a very small portion of consumers choose the Sonata. Many, many more choose either the Civic or Corolla ahead of any Sonata. At the moment this is the buyer that Hyundai has to impress - the one who has $18,000 to spend.
    More precisely, the buyer who has $18,000 to spend and is looking for a mid-sized car and not a small, fuel-efficient car like the Civic or Corolla. With gas at $3.00 a gallon and Hyundai seemingly focusing on the V6 Sonatas, the Civic and Corolla are drawing swarms of buyers. I am wondering if Hyundai's marketing of the Sonata will change for '07 with the price cuts on the Sonata GLS (I4), in addition to the debut of the all-new Elantra (which competes head-to-head with Civic and Corolla).
    This makes sense.

One of the key strengths of the Civic/Accord and Corolla/Camry pairings is that the lower priced vehicle 'insulates' the larger more expensive vehicle from pricing wars. Right now the Sonata is fighting all the battles and that's always tough.

Where we normally have 40+ Corolla's on the lot.. today we sold out!!! They can't ship them to us fast enough. Zero days of sales.
    the old sentra wasn't that bad, the lines were smooth(Especially ser was decent). But the new one looks really really bad imo, lacks class look

Now it maybe a good car in other departments, actually the interior looks better than ever. But i'm the type of car owner that cares about the exterior looks(even though we are not talking about a aston db9 or farrari)

camcord fans isn't there any comments about the sonatas 2006 motorweek mid size car of the year?

If the sonatas name is not as household, its sure getting to be that way winning numerous awards already with more to come
    The camcorder household name? Probably Sony, I'd say.
    camcorder ;)

And a Sonata, while music to one's ears, may not register as a car, but that's OK. Time changes everything.

I kinda like the Fusion/Milan. What doesn't cut it with you on that car line? The butt is a bit high, and the view out the back not so hot. Anything else spotted as not the best attribute for a car with those Fords?
    -Loren
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ....PLEASE...before this forum gets closed AGAIN.

The Chrylser Sebring is beginning to grow on me a bit.

Here are a handful of videos on this new car. The interior is much much much better than I had expected.

http://media.xfactorcom.com/medialink/20060622/default1.asp?Event_ID=199

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/22/videos-2007-chrysler-sebring-pacifica/#mo- re-3162

The car really looks very retro lookin outside those studio pics. looks way way more elegant in the videos than in the pics.

Here's to hoping we had yet another competitor to the CamcordAltiNata sector of the world.
    Well it appears to be a taller version of the Crossfire front, with the rest looking a little bit towards the Altima, yet not quite correct. From the photos and the video, I would say someone tried to make a crossover styled car with Crossfire hood and Altima body works, with even taller doors. Unless it looks better in the showroom, I count this as strike two, after the Charger release.

The previous model was a nice looking car. If it had some better handling characteristics to it, and a bit more refinement, that look would have done it. Dump the 2.7 and make the 3.5 V6 the standard.

From the photos and movie, I would imagine the Altima, Fusion, Sonata, Accord, Camry, and the rest will all just overwhelm this poor cars release into the big - bad world. I have little hope for it. Like I said, unless it looks better up close and personal. The new Elantra will be more stylin'. Ya know, it moves to mid-size.
    No, the smart thing to do would have been to make a Dart, or Duster again. Now those were long running cars. You see the old slant sixers still running today. Make a mid-sized RWD car which would be a true Chrysler or Dodge and not a Mitsu. IMHO, the Duster and Demons still look good today. Cool tail lights and subtle styled lines. And the front and back worked well together. My goodness, some of these new cars, like the Ion look like they were three different styles of cars rolled into one. Others may disagree, and I may hear from them soon :P
    -Loren
    Seems that windows on cars are getting smaller and smaller. In an effort to eliminate the need for side windows we have the perfect vehicle for that modern car look, and ultimate safety

:D Loren
    P.S. thanks to a Fox news story for the pic
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    My Rankings:
    1. Camry
    2. Accord
    3. Altima
    4. Mazda 6
    5. Sonata
    6. Fusion
    7. Malibu
    8. Galant

Guess what Elroy? I agree! I think #3-6 are virtually interchangeable, and in fact positions #1-6 are fairly close. Where I disagree with you is whether #1-4 are worth $5-6K more than #5. Not to me. I'm not drinking the Kool Aid.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    CamcordAltiNata...

funny. I was going with cam-ccord-tima-nata-ssat-bu-lant6
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    According to the Nissan blurb on the new Altima with CVT you will feel up shifts and down shifts, the computer has over 700 diferent algorithms, this is also I think more advanced than what is in the currant Murano.
    I hope Nissan will keep the price on the V6 at a reasonable point otherwiese they will loose out to sonata/accord/camry/fusion.
    Then there is the AWD Fusion, I only wish that Ford would put the new V6 into the Fusion when it comes time for me to buy in about 14 months. Old Mike
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Highs:

- car just feels good: smooth, high quality and enjoyable to drive
    -engine is smooth and power is good. enjoyed manual mode of tranny
    -car is very roomy. I had my three daughters across the back and it swallowed them up.
    -trunk is huge
    -stereo was very good and the more I listened to it the more realized how crisp and clear it was
    - car just looks good. loved the interior faux carbon fiber that ran across the front of the dash and the upper part of one piece dash feels soft to touch and there are no rattles in this car at all. Our $35k Honda Pilot, which is an all plastic dash rattles and is annoying. It looks like Hyundai is increasing content while their competitors are de-contenting. I find it tough to pay extra now for the Honda when I see such high-levels of equipment offered and such a smooth and high-quality machine offered plus the idea that Hyundai will take the keys out of my car at 5 years unlimited mileage or bring me gas or give me hotel and food money if I get in an accident more than 50 miles from home. This is becoming a no-brainer now that we know Hyundai's reliability is better than their competitors. Many will continue to dispute this because it takes time to overcome those Excels and early Hyundais but after 3 days in this car, I am really experiencing a paradigm shift.
    -Impressive details: Even the trunk, glove box and all compartments that open were dampened to open slowly and with precision. The glove box was lined with thick, soft black felt. The inside of the front seat belt connectors had felt on the inside so no scratching of the inner part of the arm rest would not occur. Listen, when I drive other mid-sizers, there just isn't the attn. to detail.
    - this car has gobs of equipment and after pricing it vs. other cars we have rented (we rent every weekend), it is simply more car than anything out there. I mentioned to my wife that Hyundai has a winner in 4 or 6 cylinder cars. If you have never driven this car, I gotta tell you that after spending nearly 3 days in the car, I am extremely impressed. This car completely embarrasses what my wife called the 'plastic Altima' we drove last weekend. Compared to the Altima, altho the Altima was much sportier and had more punch, the Sonata appears like a luxury model in comparison and considering the Altima costs more...wow...the Sonata really embarasses it. The Sonata had trip computer, moonroof, trip computer, fog lights, electronic stability, all the air bags front and rear, etc., etc., and the Altima costs more. Someone has to be getting a knife in the back somewhere for Hyundai to sell this car at this price.
    -there are air bags everywhere in this car: front, side head curtains in front and back with active headrests
    -the electronic stability control came on once when i noticed the right side of the car hit a water and slippery sand spot on Camelback Mtn. in Pennsylvania. Impressive amount of safety equipment for $18k.
    -23.1 mpg in city driving. Not spectacular but again tons of car for the money and I am sure I would get 30+ on highway with restrained driving
    - The manumatic tranny is a nice touch and just extra.
    -I'll say it again: I have driven most mid-size cars incl. Camry, Accord, Altima and Mazda 6 and this car is IMPRESSIVE!
    Major Lows:
    -Very few lows but the lows need to be addressed by Hyundai now because they are noticeably important oversights:

-Hyundai has to fix the seat cushion of the drivers seat YESTERDAY! It tips forward and at 6'1, I found myself wanting more length on that cushion and wanting to adust the height of the front of the cushion. I am surprised Hyundai removed the adjustment that they had on a 2005 rental Sonata I had. This may have alleviated the problem.

Minor Lows:

-Tranny is a 4 speeder. Most have 5 and 6 speed. I am not sure there is any advantage to a 5 0r 6 over a 4 but....
    -exterior door handles not as substantial feeling as the 2005.
    -interior door handles should be chrome
    -one headrest missing in rear seat. should be 3 across
    -grab handle on passenger side was broken. looked like the exact handle as one in the accord we rented a screw was dislodged. shouldn't be!
    -Tranny is a 4 speeder. Most have 5 and 6 speed. I am not sure there is any advantage to a 5 0r 6 over a 4 but....

Was your rental the 4 cyl? All the V6's have a 5 speed automatic. If you think the 4 is nice, you should drive the V6! ;)
    It was a 4 Cylinder. Not as strong as the Altima 4 but very adequate.
    This is a great review and one of the most detailed and balanced ones I've seen here. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    when I note that a number of posts from the past twelve hours or so have been removed.

In an effort to keep this discussion afloat, here's what we're going to do:

- post only about the CARS, not about the manufacturers.

- post only about the CARS, not about other members, nor about purchasers of said cars, whether they are members or not.

- post only about something tangible, postive or negative, about a specific CAR, a feature, an attribute or a detribute (made-up word!), something about which we can civilly debate.

- refrain from sweeping slurs against ANY CAR or brand. As noted post something specific that is civilly debatable.

More rules may come as necessary, but that's a start for now. Posts that do not comply with those rules will be removed.

Those who continue to disrupt this discussion put their participation here at risk ... just so you know.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Tranny is a 4 speeder. Most have 5 and 6 speed. I am not sure there is any advantage to a 5 0r 6 over a 4 but...."

That is a major flaw with the design of this car in this category. Today, that would be a deal killer. There is no way a manufacturer can get smooth shifts, good gas mileage, lower revs at high speeds all at the same time with a V6 four speed.

"It looks like Hyundai is increasing content while their competitors are de-contenting."

That appears to be an unresearched opinion. Can you back it up with fact?

I recently rode in a Sonata and Accord. I was surprised at how good the Sonota was, but even more surprised at how much better the Accord was.
  • yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    I recently rented a Fusion SE with a 4-cyl engine and took it for a drive to Pt. Reyes in California. The car had 9700 miles on it. I am using my 2003 Accord as a benchmark.

Gripes:

-The transmission does not have a overdrive or "2" selector for upshifting during hill climbs and overtaking. The transmission is rather slow to upshift, and I would want some degree of control over the shifting.
    -The outside door mirrors are comparably shorter lengthwise.
    -The sun visor kept popping out of its catch every time I flipped it down or up.
    -The turn signal stalk is angled 45 degrees, making it somewhat cumbersome to use.
    -The map lights are integrated in the dome light, in the center of the ceiling which is not the most convenient location for them. They are just too bright.
    -The fuel filler door does not have a locking mechanism.
    -The door panel already made squeaking sounds as I pulled the door to close it.
    -Rear seat only has built-in headrests whereas many competitors have separate adjustable height headrests.
    -The key with the integrated remote door unlock button is too big and thick.
    -Texture, feel, composition, "plushness" of seat upholstery not as good as Acccord's.
    -This is rather subjective, but I felt the gauges looked rather chintzy with the wide beveled silver rims and I never liked Ford's lime green dashboard illumination.

Anti-gripes:
    -AWESOME styling. It runs circles around Camry and Accord's.
    -2.3 liter engine has decent acceleration, is smooth and power is good. I think this is the same engine used in the Mazda 6i and Mazda 3s.
    -Combined fuel economy was 28.65 MPG with mostly highway miles.
    -Audio controls on steering wheel are handy.
    -Trip computer that computes gas mileage is handy.
    -Minimal and straightforward buttons and controls.
    -Auto-locking feature that locks when the car is in motion is convenient. Being able to open locked doors from inside without having to unlock them is convenient. Accord does not have this feature.
    -Two-tiered console box is handy (probably taken from Accord).

If my Accord was totaled, this car would be on the top of my list for a replacement car. I think the styling easily makes up for the shortcomings I've listed. Ford has a winner here! :D
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    It may not be a lot more than some of those cars, but I wouldnt count the caliber because it's more of a wagon/crossover. That said, the engine is comparable. The GM 2.4L has far more torque than the Toyota 1.8L in the Corolla XRS so I think I would take the ecotec any day. The 3's engine also suffers from lack of torque which is why the Mazda3 isnt all that fast in spite of it's decent hp ratings. The Cobalt SS was clocked at 7.1secs to 60 which is pretty good for a non- hi performance compact car. The lighter Civic Si is typically clocked at 6.7 (give or take a few tenths) which is only slightly faster.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    You are entitled to your opinion but my guess is that you werent really going to buy and Impala. You cant be serious if you think the current Altima, Sonata and Mazda6 have superior interiors. The has a very plasticky interior that is nowhere near as nice as the Accord or the '07 Camry. The Sonata probably has decent materials, but the design is straight out of the 90s, it is totally outdated compared to the class leaders and any GM car with such a design would be trashed in the press. It's really as simple as that. BEcause Hyundai has come so far it seems like the press has lower standards for them and thus says "this is a great interior for a Hyundai". The Fusion is another car with a cheapo interior that I would put on par with the three year old Malibu. I have sat in various Fusions and I have been disappointed with the center stack, the gauges, the fit/finish, etc. It is most definitely not superior to the Impala.

YEah the Japanese can ace an interior, check out the Galant as a prime example. Honestly, the best Japanese interiors are Acura and Lexus. I am not impressed with most Nissan interiors or lower end Toyota interiors like the Corolla, Celica (I know they cancelled it) and Rav4. I looked at a Rav4 at a dealer and I couldnt believe they were asking $29k for a vehicle with an econo feel plastic interior and a haphazard design that was anything but elegant.
  • tucson_girltucson_girl Member Posts: 11
    I mean, really, until you get up into the luxury class, it seems to me that most (all?) cars today have mostly plastic interiors. There are certainly differences in fit and finish, but to call one car more plasticky seems odd to me. My mom has a Camry. The entire dash board is covered in plastic. My Dad has a Volvo S60. The entire dashboard is covered in plastic. One friend has a Civic. Plastic. One friend has a Jetta. Plastic. One friend has a BMW. Not as much plastic as the others, but still a fair amount! :P
    It is a nice car. They did very well in the handling department. And it is comfortable...Competition is the way to do it.. and Hyundai is trying to meet them at every point.. of course imitation is the best form of flattery.

Agreed, it's a nice car. I hope this signals a turnaround for Ford. It has the typical, attractive "world car" body shape as the others in class, with styling and interior cues that American drivers are more accustomed to.

About "imitation": It may not be imitation at all. It may simply be that they "think alike". When the very best designs and materials are applied to cars (or anything else) the comptitor's designs end up converging. (looking similar). All of the manufacturers are slowly gravitating toward perfection. Because of the convergence princlple, I believe we will see future cars looking more and more alike.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I agree, until you get up into the stratosphere in price (100K+), does the use of plastics really decline. The question to ask is: "How plasticky does the plastics look?"
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Please see the "rules":pat, "Midsize Sedans Comparison Thread" #4743, 25 Jun 2006 8:25 am

Debates about the manufacturers are welcome in the Automotive News discussions.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    I think VW has the least "plasticky" plastics.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    All of these cars use plastics. But there is a big difference in grade, quality, feel, and look. The plastics in the Malibu are definitely not the same quality as some others.
  • tucson_girltucson_girl Member Posts: 11
    Seems to me that it's rather subjective though. What one person likes, another will surely dislike. What's a high grade plastic feel/look like vs. a low grade? Seems most dash boards are fairly firm to the touch. I guess I just don't see much difference. To me, plastic is plastic. It's more about fit - whether a car has rattles, seems noisy, or sounds "tinny."

I've never been in a Malibu so have no idea how its plastics compare to other cars. I personally prefer my Mom's Camry's interior over my Dad's Volvo's interior. It's just a personal preference though - and really doesn't have a lot to do with materials.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    It has a lot to do with the grade of plastic, the molding process, the thickness, and texture. Thinner, low grade plastic is prone to cracking or warping from heat (temperature changes). It can also have rough or sharp edges. Ever seen a cracked dashboard? My Chevy truck dash is cracking in some places (cheap materials). I've never been a fan of Toyota interior styling, but they do use high grade plastics. I can definitely tell the difference between Camry and Malibu plasitcs.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    And the Fusion plastics are all glossy and slick, whereas a Honda/Acura has a pebbled look and feel and the knobs, sliders and button controls have more refinement.
  • ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    The fusion plastics are loss gloss and are of a nice grade, i feel ford used a busy texture however. And as far as the buttons and knobs i will agree the honda's have a better feel in the accord, but the fusions are nice as well. The climate buttons just spin on there axis a little to freely.
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    The climate buttons just spin on there axis a little to freely

Nice. I mene knise.

The Fusion needs to cut back on the night club look inside, and move the HVAC controls somewhere else. When the car's in P the shifter blocks the controls. Dumb.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I know the Saturn Ion isn't one of the cars to discuss here but I'm wondering if Saturn offers what I saw in one of their other cars.

I had an Ion rental last week. The speedometer, gas, tach, fuel, etc gauges were all in the center of the dash. Ugh! They are slanted slightly to face the driver but even after three days, I still couldn't get used to it.

Please tell me this won't become a trend in other autos. Does the new Aura have this? Let me tell you, looking to the right to check your speed is strange if not downright dangerous. :(
  • booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    The speedometer, gas, tach, fuel, etc gauges were all in the center of the dash.

The latest Nissan Quest had the speedo etc like that also. We ruled it out of our van comparo quickly cause of that. I saw on TV the new Quest had the guages back in front of the driver, where they should be. I doubt we'll see this miscue again on any vehicle. Dumb idea. Too cute.
    Sorry to say, this "miscue" has popped up again, on the 2007 Yaris. But it doesn't seem to be catching on in the mid-sized class. Yet. I hope.
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Now I am not going to mention any names but there are certain Sonata fans that will try to prove that the cost of a Sonata and a Camcord over five years is going to be the same so resale value does not matter. Okay, then if you make that arguement, than the extra premium you pay for a Camcord coversely does not matter. In the end you'd spend the same. You can't make both arguments at the same time.
    so resale value does not matter. Okay, then if you make that arguement, than the extra premium you pay for a Camcord coversely does not matter. In the end you'd spend the same. You can't make both arguments at the same time.

Fair enough. One car is front loaded, one is back loaded. I know which I would rather. :D
    In general I agree with you, EXCEPT that the little details rear their ugly heads, such as:

* Present value vs. future value of money, i.e. a dollar in your hand today is worth more than a dollar in your hand five years from now.
    * We don't know yet what the future holds for resale values on these mid-sized cars. Will the Camcords keep up their strong resale values? Probably. Will the resale values of cars like the Sonata improve, due to the steadily improving quality and reliability of the cars? Could be, but too early to tell.

Either way, I'd rather have the extra money in my hand today vs. years from now. :)
    It would not matter if you took the other amount and simply spent it. If you take $5k over the course of some 5 to 10 years of investment, as in a CD, Bond or better yet Stocks, you have a lot more than your original $5K. There are certain variables which come into play. One is that one car or the other should happen to go up or down more in resale value than the other by a wider than normal amount. The warranty is a constant, and is in favor of the Sonata owner. From an economics stand point, if you saved $5K, it would be darn near impossible for it to be a wrong buy. If you in misery because you had a strong desire for say a Toyota instead, then you made a wrong purchase. You would spend countless hours trying to find a way in which you could prove the buy was wrong. That is a personal thing. From a straight economics point of view, you would have to find something else wrong with the buying of the Sonata. If gas mileage was considerable different - that could be meaningful to a dollar invested. But I assume you are talking cost in, to net receive upon sale.
    -Loren
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You can't make both arguments at the same time.

Sounds reasonable to me, other than the argument about "up front" money.

I bought my '05 Sonata in April '05 for a lot less than a comparable camcord would have cost. The monthly payments aren't a strain. So far I am completely satisfied with everything about the car. The GLS Special Value has "tons" of features and cost less than my prior '91 Chrysler convertible.

If the Sonata continues its fine service and if the cost is going to be the same over 5 or more years than a camcord, I'll have no complaints.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Why does this matter so much to you? Are you trying to justify your purchase, or one you're about to make? Buy what you like. Seems to me that you can't go wrong buying any one of these offerings (well, except maybe for the Malibu).
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    I'd complain about the aweful looks of that year Sonata (reminds me of a Hungarian police car). Hyundai greatfully put that one to rest. But Hyundai isn't known for their artwork in motion.
    Let me get this straight. You would buy a car, then complain about its looks? Why would you do that? I would recommend that you buy a car that in YOUR OPINION looks better.

Other people like the looks of that model year, as I do. Very attractive car. What is or is not a beauty of course is in the eye of the beholder. If this was not true, then you would need but one shirt or blouse, one car, one drink for everyone in the World.

The Sonata and Tiburon both appeal to me. The Tiburon is very much art in motion.
    -Loren
    When it comes right down to it, we all tend to lean toward what we like and I personally like the Honda, but wow I can't touch a V6 Accord for anywhere near $20K with all the Sonata has. Is the Accord better? Well, what is better? If we say does it drive better, well, my wife doesn't really know or care about steering weight detailed driving dynamics. She cares about things like 'does it have a sunroof and does the CD player hold 6 in the dash and is it safe?
    We just drove this Sonata for a weekend and realize that it's not $6-8K better.
    I presently drive a Honda Pilot and she drives a Civic but will be purchasing a mid-size in the coming month as my she is due for a new vehicle and our daughter is getting the Civic. Camry? Well, we kinda like Honda's. This herein isthe real truth about buying: we tend to lean toward those vehicles we like and we just don't want a Camry.

We are leaning toward the Sonata for the following reasons:

- I can buy an LX (loaded) for about the cost of a lower level 4 cyliner Camry and Accord (or a loaded Civic!!!?)
    -Hyundai will truly back my vehicle and I am not talking about reliability issues but true ownership issues that can plague me. Like the other morning when I awoke and found my Pilot's tire punctured and flat. I did not have time to change it, Honda does not offer roadside assistance or any assistance whatsoever so I had to cancel an appt. and invest it into changing a tire. I have AAA too but the last time we used the guy he took forever. I don't like the fact that I bought a $30k+ vehicle from Honda and they won't send someone to change my tire when it is flat. I understand Hyundai will do this for 5 years and unlimited mileage. How much is this worth? The other day it would have been worth an hour. The dealer also informed me Hyundai will even put me up in a hotel if I have an accident and pay for my meals if I am 50 miles away from home and my car is disabled. I'll probably never use that but hey its nice to know its there.
    I am just realizing, after driving this car and seeing what this company offers that their cars are nearly as good, probably as reliable, very good looking and performing and are loaded with equipment for $20K. Hyundai just offers more car, for what my wife will use it for(comfortable and reliable from A to B..and trust me she doesn't care what the name is on the A** of this car. I guess she's just really practical and doesn't care if it says Honda, Hyundai, Toyota or Lexus.) I did a bit of maintenance homework and the Accord and Sonata, maintenance-wise, seem to be 'fairly' close over 5 years (I am really not concerned if the Sonata costs a few cents more a mile) and overall the Accord has a better reputation but I cannot imagine that over the 5 years of ownership the Accord will outdo the Sonata by $8k. And frankly, we just liked that Sonata. I think we'll probably look seriously at the Hyundai because they just offer so much quality car for soooo much less. That is exactly why I bought my first Civic in 1988.
    Did Honda offer any discounts? Have you shopped Ford Fusion/ Milan, or say an Altima, as well? You are right about the value of the Sonata. I like the looks better than the Azera too. If I make up my mind to go sedan, instead of coupe, I will consider all makes of course. I am not happy to see side sticker pricing on some Hondas here in town. But we have another dealer within 30 miles, so I got two for starters, if I decide to consider an Accord. The overall pack deal of Hyundai products looks enticing, still like Honda interior and exterior fit and finish, the Camry is kinda interesting now, the Altima I always liked looks wise, the Mazda6 has the handling, but I am not sure I like the repair costs listed for suspensions and other parts, and reliability looks up an down, the Fusion/Milan look good, and then there is the Legacy AWD, but we don't get snow here. The Sonata does look good and is a safe car, according to the numbers. Safe for rear end crashes too, as it reduces whiplash injuries. The Accord is poor on rear enders. And Altima is acceptable and the Legacy and the Sonata are good
    ( highest rating ).
    -Loren
This discussion has been closed.