Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Sierra/Silverado 2500 & 3500

greggauchogreggaucho Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
We need a topic exclusive to the new GM Heavy Duty
pickups. I'm tired of wading through all of the
Z71 talk on the giant Silverado topic for
information relevant to the new Sierra and
Silverado 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks. It seems all
of the topics related to this keep getting
rejected. Meredith, please allow us this one
topic, the issues involving the new Duramax &
8-liter engine, Allison transmition, and purchasing
obstacles are worthy of exclusive discussion.

I've been looking to get a new Sierra 2500 with
Duramax/Allison. I personally like the looks of
the GMC better than the Silverado. Just for kicks,
I thought I would price the Silverado also, and I
was surprised to see that the Silverado doesn't
seem to allow as much versatility in ordering
options, and it would actually cost more for the
Silverado than the Sierra for what I would want.

Anyone have/heard any build dates yet?

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    I alaways liked the Sierra,but the new HD Silverado looks sharp with the New Hood...

Think I'll get a 2002 Silverado
    3/4 ton, 2-wheel drive, 8.1 Allison auto, regular cab...
    Anybody see that New color for 2001 metalic orange Gettin tired of black
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    is very nice...seen a lot of burbs in it as well as ado's...I'm getting it in 2002 as well

I went by GM truck and Bus today and there must have been 200 HD Silverados in the parking lot...very cool to see..

Gregg,

there are several topics dedicated to the HD..or at least a few....so I don't think this is gonna make it?

- Tim
  • sovercash1sovercash1 Member Posts: 112
    You find out the Alocations and Build Dates for the Duramax/Allison equipped HDs in early Sept.. The Duramax trucks will start to roll off the assembly line come middle of October with Oct/Nov delivery.. Now what I just told you only applies to the people who placed an order early (June) for others it will come later...

I have one ordered myself...
  • markj10markj10 Member Posts: 18
    Trucks with the 6.0 V8 and 8.1 V8 are currently being built, many dealers have extended cab versions built and in transit. I have a 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 crew cab shortbox, SLT trim on order I was intially given a TPW (target production week) of 9/11 but as of last Frieday according to the VOM (vehicle order management) system it has been changed to 9/18. The latest word on the Duramax was for late September allocations for late October and November build dates. Most dealers have orders for these rigs in their system and are waiting for an allocation. If your order isn't in the dealer system currently I would plan on waiting until after the holidays. There is alot of good discussion about these trucks on the site pickuptruck.com Check it out
  • greggauchogreggaucho Member Posts: 62
    Tim, I don't know if I'm just missing them now or what, but I can no longer find all the old topics dedicated to the 3/4-tons, 1-tons, and the Duramax in particular. I was away for vacation in Canada for 2 weeks, then my old computer died, so I missed the "town hall" for several weeks. Then I couldn't find the old topics. I didn't want to filter through the 400+ posts on the more generic silverado topic. That's why I thought I'ld try to get this one started. I thought this topic would be broad enough to survive rather than the old topics like "Pictures of new ..." or "allison/Duramax...".

I e-mailed a quote request for a 3/4-ton Silverado (4wd/duramax/allison/SLT/club/longbed) to Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho last week. They are supposed to be one of the biggest volume dealers (if not the biggest) in the nation. You see lots of Dave Smith plates here in Oregon and all over the west. It will be interesting to see how they respond to an anonymous person like me requesting a quote for such a popular product.

I just hope GM gets production numbers up for this truck. I will never get something smaller than a 3/4-ton. I just found out that I can't even pick up the Bobcat I want to rent next weekend with anything less than a 3/4-ton. I really don't see the point in a 1/2-ton pickup unless all you're filling the back up with is soccer balls.

dave40,
    You're right about the 3/4-ton Silverado looks. I really like the looks of the 1/2 Sierra's a lot better than the Silverado (just my personal opinion, Tim), but I do like the new HD Silverado looks alot better. But it's funny that the Sierra set up like I would want is actually less than the Silverado (the SLT Silverado is loaded with a lot more than I want, and does not have as much flexibility - the dealer invoice on the SLT Sierra loaded like I would want is about $35,750, while the Silverado would be over $37,000). I still might end up going with the Silverado because I have a some family relationship with a Chevy dealer and maybe I can get some help with getting an allocation or something.
    Make that a 3/4 Sierra that I ordered from Dave Smith, not a Silverado.
    about the diesels/HD......select the pickip section and scroll thru.....it's great that this is here...but I'm just saying that "someone" may think different...

GMC did have a few more flexable points..like a slider in an LT (SLT)..and 2 tone...but I believe GMC is more expensive...not cheaper. They may have x package and Chevy has X package that make whatever more expensive...but it's close regardless.

I take no offense to what you like....like I said..I just prefer not to buy GMC, mainly due to the front end.

- Tim
    The other positive for Chevy is that there are more dealerships. I guess Chevy dealers really don't like to work on GMC?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    not allowed to...warranty anyway. Dealers will do anything for profit unless the General tells them not to.
    Any of you who may have jumped on early to get in line for a 3/4-ton with Duramax/Allison, how much above invoice did you end up getting stuck with?
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I have started two or three topics on this and they have all been shut down....guys check out www.thedieselpage.com, under my post on ride height in the 2001 HD section....the guy who responded to me somehow has access to a few DMax's and has some great pics...compares the ride heights to a 2000 z71...the hd is abbout 2 inches higher...also has the dmax sound going in the background...I ordered a 2001 Crew Cab LT 4x4 with the 6.0 on the 7th...do you think i'll get this truck by the end of sept?
    Well, my e-mail price quote request to Dave Smith Motors was responded to with an automated reply from a specific salesman. He says he will be calling very soon. I e-mailed a full run-down of the vehicle/options with all codes to hopefully reduce the amount of time he has to put into me. I will update after I talk to him.

More about Dave Smith Motors (Kellogg, Idaho). They sell Dodge, Chevy, GMC . . .. They are the largest dealer for Dodge pickups in the world and the largest GMC dealer in the Northwest. They say their "no hassle pricing" uses the same method of setting prices, for all vehicles, for all customers. It will be interesting to see how this works out, such a high volume dealer and such a high-demand truck. I hope I don't sound like I work for them, I just know they gave my boss a very reasonable price on his '99 Sierra, which he then used to get the local dealer to match. Only problem is, the local dealer is small-time.
  • geno7geno7 Member Posts: 10
    Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg. I have been dealing with them for a Dodge. Nearly the whole town is a truck lot. They do have a big selection of GMC Sierra's & Chevy Silverado's on their different lots. Their price is under $60 over invoice. I got the best quote from them for the Dodge over anyone else here in the Portland area. Some dealers say they will match their price, but end up getting you to spend more on other things. The only dealer that can come close or beat them is Quality Dodge, GMC & Chevy near Salt Lake City in Utah. You should be happy with your quote. The dealers here don't get nearly the allocations that Dave Smith's do.
    I just talked to a salesman from Dave Smith. He gave me a good quote on a Sierra, but he said there are a couple dozen people in front of me and to expect a delivery in the Spring. I wonder if that delivery date is that bad, or if he was being more realistic than other dealers.

I have asked this question several times, but no one ever seems to have an answer. Are the headlights on the Sierra brighter? They sure are larger. I do a lot of night driving where there is big game (deer, elk, antelope), and bright lights are very important to me. I know I can get aftermarket bright lights, but often the biggest problem is with oncoming traffic where you need to use low beams. My current Dakota has pathetic headlights, especially the low beams. My wife just got a new 4-Runner that has the best headlights I have ever seen. They are huge, and the low beams are particularly good. If the Silverado's headlights aren't as good as the Sierra's, as I suspect they are not, I think it is pretty stupid to make an important functional item like headlights inferior solely for a designer's idea of good looks.
    Oh yeah, the Sierra I got a quote for was a 2500 HD SLT, 4wd, extended cab, long bed with Duramax/Allison. I'll let you know the final quote when I get it, but it sounds good.

He said that two-tone is not offered, on-star is restricted until the beginning of the year (which should not affect me)
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Last year, the Ford Superduty had the same showroom rush, and some people waited close to a year for trucks. Expect supply to be very sparse for at least 8 months....especially given GM's history of production delays.
    When you ask about the lights being brighter compaired to?

Yes they are brighter than the C/Ks.. but the same as the 2000 Sierra 1500s...

4x4,

SteveO here,
    At pickuptruck.com, there is an article saying that a 1/2 ton version will be out in early 2001 WITH the 6.0 engine...so whats really the diff in the 1/2 versus HD...bigger brakes, suspension and the the cosmetic things on the outside and the option of the 8.1 and diesel....i probably only need the 1/2 but i like the HD look better and like the fact that it sits higher due to the allison option, but glad GM finally has something to beat out the Super Crew...
    Quote from 4x4, "bigger brakes, suspension and
    the the cosmetic things on the outside and the
    option of the 8.1 and diesel".

You left out larger cooling system (Radiator, Transmision cooler, Oil cooler, P/S Cooler), Much larger Frame, Stronger Transfercase, Stronger (And larger) Rear End..

The 1500HD is ment to haul people more than cargo, but if you need to haul things your still driving a quit capable vehicle.. Where as the Ford Supercrew is useless for anything other than groceries and small cargo..

Plus the 1500HD sits low enough to the ground that it will attract the older folks.. You may like a truck to sit way up in the air but I can guarrantee you ask 100 people on the street which they would prefer (Low or High) and 90% would take the lower step in height truck...

SteveO
    they must have better cafe ratings....or are going to jack the GVW up into the "not rated" catagory...that's my guess...

- Tim
    SteveO,
    I am talking about whether the Sierra's headlights are brighter that the Silverado's. They are definitely different shapes, with the Sierra's appearing much larger, more like my wife's 4-Runner. The Silverado's headlights look more like the size of my Dakota, which has pretty poor lights.

4x4,
    I would not want to go with a 1/2-ton ever again, on any truck, let alone a crew cab. Things just tend to fall apart faster, and instead of working well within the range of capacity the truck was built for (with a 3/4-ton or 1-ton), you will find yourself at the higher end of the working range with the 1/2-ton, putting stress on less durable components. The ride is no better on the 1/2-ton, and the cost difference is negligeable at the levels of these new trucks. Besides, even if you only plan on carrying people, you are bound to fill it up with heavy things or tow heavy things from time to time.
    Now if they could just supply the truck. I know it is better to sell every truck you make than oversupply the customer, but it seems like GM could increase production of the 3/4-tons and 1-tons. This truck is going to go beyond all other heavy duty pickups in sales due to the ride quality/comfort/quiet. I'm guessing there won't be any of these trucks sitting on lots for a long time unless the dealers mark the price up well above MSRP. Give us our trucks!
    ..figured that's what they would do....now we will have a 1500HD 8600GVW and a 2500 8600 GVW????....what's with that?...

will the 2500's be phased out with the HD2500's now?

- Tim
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    It sounds like they are going the way of Ford with having a high GVW 1/2 ton and doing away with the light duty 3/4.
  • geno7geno7 Member Posts: 10
    You probably did get a very good quote just like I did for the Dodge I will probably buy from Dave Smith. The only dealership that comes close and can beat Dave Smith is Quality Dodge in Tooele, Utah - near Salt Lake City. When I was in Kellogg, there was several lots with Sierra's & Silverado's on them (2000 model's). Smith's probably have very good allocations for all brands they carry. The HD Sierra & Silverado with the Duramax diesel will be hot sellers with long waiting lists. You may thank your lucky stars on having to wait till spring to get it. Different articles have said they don't start hitting dealerships till November 2000. By spring, all those that have got theirs will have plenty of time to air their complaints and get their problems fixed - hopefully. It seems that many of the new vehicles are released to the public so they can experience/find all the bugs in them. In my line of work it is called "testing in production" so it will fail till all the bugs are worked out of it. The end user has to suffer for awhile.
  • kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    Where can I find some info on this option? I'm getting rid of a std suspension 1500 Xcab, and wanted to go to a LD 2500, but from what I've seen so far, it looks like the only option there for 2001 is a 2500 HD.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    Wow, I'm surprised they would do that. The can't make enough 2500 LDs, they are super hot. The 6.0 and the higher riding suspension were the big sellers for the 2500HD, something the Ford LD didn't have. I guess now you can get the 1500HD with a 6.0? If not, huge mistake.
    I don't think the new HDs will have the amount of first-year bugs common to many new vehicles and other products. First of all, from what I have heard, there were WAY less problems on the '99 and '00 3/4-tons than the 1/2-tons (as Tim). Secondly, the engine and transmition are heavy duty products that have gone through extensive testing, and the rest of the truck is not totally from-scratch. I have considered your point though, and hope that if there are early production glitches and bugs, that the manufacturer would be able to fix the glitch without delaying production too much by the time mine is built. By the way, I will probably be placing my order tonight and will post my price soon.

Greg
    When I say eliminated Models, that only means they have eliminated them in that GVW (8600)..

The 2500HDs with a GVW of 9200lbs will cover the 4 Models they dropped from the 8600lbs GVW..

Confused??? I hope not...

See ya..

Steve O
    ..to have an 8600GVW Crew cab....with 2500 wheels..but call it a 1500HD....

whatever...I'll be getting the 2500HD....

....at least Chevy gives us a 6.5 bed..unlike Fords super short 5.5.....

- Tim
    Thats' right!!! That's Right!!

See ya....
    Do you remeber the Heavy Half of the 70s???

I have two friends that still have those trucks..

Both 1500 Long beds with a 454 and 400 Turbo transmissions..

Body is rusted all to bits but the engines are still kicking...
    I am sticking with my original order which is 2001 Chev Crew Cab LT 4x4 SWB with the 6.0....I really don't understand the 1500HD concept if it comes with the 6.0 and has some 3/4 ton options including the wheels and tires and is going to be around the same price...I saw something in todays Houston Chronicle that stated the price to be in the high 20's(which i am assuming is base)...I would rather have the beefed up truck and the HD looks for about the same price..I am getting mine for about 32.5 + TTL...Plus i like the raised ride height, which is one reason i liked the supercrew at first, i just can't get myself to buy a Ford truck with that wimpy 5.4L engine...I think i will be very happy when my truck finally comes in....Around here in Texas SteveO, those who prefer the higher ride height is much greater...I would say that 50% of the trucks in my area have lifts! Hell even my 60 year old dad has a lift on his 96 Surburban! I guess its just that redneck in us...lol
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    congrats on the new truck order. Keep us posted as to how long it takes to actually get it. Looking over the price list, I was kind of surprised that the Allison automatic is only about $1,000 over the base ZF manual tranny. I expected it was going to be a lot more. On my 2500 6.0l, the 4L80 auto was about $950 over the base 5 speed manual, so the Allison deal really looks pretty good. You ought to be able pull the world with this thing. Or maybe just a Ford or Dodge diesel trying to go the other way!!
  • roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    The reason the Allison is only $1200 more than the ZF, is that in the SLT pricing, or any extended cab, you have already paid the $1095 for the regular automatic. It is a pricing thing, but the Allison costs $2300. I think you get a credit back if you get the ZF.
    something was wrong with the way I did the numbers. I forgot about the GMC/SLT pricing structure being different. I just hadn't seen any figures yet on the Duramax/Allison units yet. Sure wish I had waited another 8 months before I ordered a new truck. I probably would have gotten the Duramax instead of the 6.0l.

Anybody seen any real-world fuel mileage results yet on the Duramax? I've read a number of press releases and early tests in various magazines, but nobody has published any mileage results yet.
    Over on the Diesel Page there are estimates, more rumors than anything, ranging up to 25. I guess those who know, that have been driving test vehicles or are on the Power Tour, are being asked by GM not to talk about it. SteveO may have a comment. By the way, SteveO, do you know how many quarts of oil the Duramax gobbles up? Wondering if I need a new oil pan.
    the spec sheet on the diesel page says 9.8 liters or about 10.5 quarts, including the filter.
    Tim or anyone else with a '99 or '00,
    I am trying to decide whether the fog light option is worth the money. I have fog lights on my current pickup, and they are virtually worthless. In fog or snow you can tell the fog lights are on, but they do not help the low beams appreciably. Further, they are no better than the low beams if the fog lights are used exclusive of the low beams. I think it is different than a passenger car, where the fog lights are way closer to the pavement. So I was wondering if any of you have fog lights on current model GM pickups, and whether they are worth the money. I was kind of thinking of getting some good aftermarket fog light/high beams instead. My buddy has some aftermarket high beam lights that he uses on vacant road in the desert or mountains that work great.
    Thanks for getting back to me with the oil spec. I guess I could have found it easy enough. I think that is a few quarts less than the p-stroke and cummins.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I have em on my SIlverado 1500 but havent had fog to test em out in. I do drive at night with them on regardless i think for $140 they were worth it. Prewired and all.

Ryan
    they came with an LT...but are very cheap and not too bright....I'd skip them and put aftermarkets on next time if I could....

- Tim
    Guys..

I have been told mileage is better pulling and empty than the competitors.. How much better????

Steve O
    That's about what I figured on the lights. The salesman didn't care one way or the other, but did make the point that if you don't get the fog lights, the bumper may come without the holes that could be used for aftermarket lights. He did not know if that was the case. I think I am going to go without and get aftermarket. That's what I already have ordered anyway.
    I've got fog lights on mine, and like Tim, I'd recommend you put on after-markets. The GM version is pretty cheaply made and not much light. I've seen some trucks running around with no fogs but with the holes in the bumper. Hard to imagine they'd build 2 different bumpers.

That Duramax oil capacity is less than the Ford or Dodge - I thought those were like 12-15 quarts.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Cummins oil capacity is only 10 quarts since the 1994 model year with the new body - from 1989 to 1993, it was 12. All figures include filter.

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    wight1,
    I did not know if the poor fog lights were just a dodge thing, if all the manufacturers put cheap ones in, or if fog lights are just too high off the ground to be effective on 4wd pickups. At any rate, thanks for the info.

Thanks for the oil capacity figures KC. Do you use synthetic with your diesel? Anyone heard anything yet on if GM recommends sythetic oil?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    No, I stick with 15W40 dinosaur juice. I use it all year here in Nj, and have never had a problem with it. Cummins only recommends synthetic in consistently extreme temperatures, either steadily 100F+, or steadily below zero-F. I would imagine GM/Isuzu would say the same.

Getting back to the new GM HDs, am I alone in not liking the single lens over the center three ID lamps on the roof (and tailgate on the 3500s)? A rock cracking the lens could easily cause a three bulb failurew if moisture (rain, snow) enters the hole, while individual lights (Ford, Dodge, previous GM) would suffer only a single failure. On a plus side, I give GM credit for using complete taillamps, with separate amber turn/hazard lights. It still amazes me how Ford and Dodge think a single red lamp is sufficient for all rear lamp functions.

kcram
    Co-Host - Smart Shopper & FWI Conferences
    edmunds.com Town Hall
    Do you know the reason for Three cab lights instead of Five??

The reason is, you have three holes in the top of your cab instead of Five.. Less chance for water to enter... I think the lights are LEDs.. I may be wrong, but I am almost sure they are..

I personally don't want the lights on my pickup, so it really doesn't matter to me..

They look VERY cool at night though...

Steve O
This discussion has been closed.