Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

SILVERADO POOR PERFORMANCE

obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Take it to another dealer. Too many variables to try and guess what the problem could be. Next time try launching in 4 hi and see if it makes a difference. BTW, lose the caps...

Comments

• mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    put bigger tires on?....did the last one have 4:10's?....are you using sub-standard gas like 86 or lower?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    too many variables....Hehe... ;)

Dean
    off the line was more than my 2500 with 6.0/4:10...but that's mostly due to the higher 1st gear ratio that the 1/2 offers as opposed to the 3/4 1st gear which is geared for towing.

- Tim
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    if you have very noticeable loss of power, something is definitely wrong. these engines are pretty complex, with lots of little electronics that all need to work in sync.

If something is broke, its very possible that it can't tell the computer it is broke. that happens alot, I mean, the majority of the time. Dealers need to get off their *ss and actually do some work, instead of just plugging in the computer saying "nope, nothing wrong here!" Major cop out, in my opinion.
    that it could be numerous things that could have gone wrong including installing 4 mudders. And I still see the only solution is to go to another dealer....wonder if the original poster will even return to read this...LOL

Dean
  • 3311bfd3311bfd Member Posts: 1
    thanks for your thoughts. i dont get online too often to check for replies. I tried 93 octane this past fill up, no change. i also neglected to state i installed a gibson cat back system and a K&N intake to increase performance and have seen none. it does sound better though. the tires are stock 265's . i think i will go to my dealer again and give him another chance to find the problem.
    perhaps you have too little back pressure now?....I am not a believer in changing truck exhausts...now cars...bring it on....

- Tim
  • tubeking1tubeking1 Member Posts: 6
    Just for the heck of it... build a cob'o clamp on restrictor for your tail pipe and see if things improve.
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    Nah the exhaust isn't his problem!My friend went off road in his 99 Silverado,and tore the exhaust up real bad.He went to a muffler shop,and since he was going to order a Borla cat back ,he had them just make a straight pipe.It drove fine for the two weeks he had it on there.It was pretty loud though...The problems he's having sound like computer issues to me...
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Check the plugs. My '00 Silverado Z71 is now running like a "scalded dog" since replacing two plugs (4600 miles). The rough idle is also gone and the sluggyness is history.

Dustyone
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Are you the one who replaced his wires and plugs for the rough idle? Someone posted that they use NPK??? plugs and the rough idle was gone.
    have found flaw in the so called 100K platinum plugs standard on the Silverado. NGK TR55VX provides the most economical solution. Myself, I went with the Magnecor racing wires and Torque Master plugs. dbhull also verified the plug changeout for pinging and went with a colder set of plugs.

Dean
    thinking about changing them out and seeing what happens?.....hmm....what numbers would a 6.0 use?

- Tim
    There are two plugs which you could use from NGK. They are the NGK TR55 or the NGK TR55VX. The TR55VX costs more and is a higher performance plug. The preset gap and factory recommended is .060. However, dbhull aka budlitedude posted that he had experimented with different gaps and found .052 to be the best to eliminate knock. Then he bought a Ford...I checked the ACDelco.com site and the 4.8,5.3, and 6.0 all use the same plugs. The NGK's can be found at Napa for around $2.50 a piece and may have to be special ordered. Good luck!
  • bob1715bob1715 Member Posts: 2
    Turned out to be dirty injecters. The Dealer can clean them under warranty. Runs fine now.
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    discussion in one of our many active Silverado topics.

Appreciate it!

Bonnie Rick
    Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall
This discussion has been closed.