Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    No they are not GM bedrail caps. They were supposed to be "wade" because that’s what people here said they liked. The truck accessory store here (Les Schwab) said they were made by wade for this other company. He seemed to like the way these installed better than the wades though. I wanted to Line-x the whole bed, but just got the caps and a rubber pad for now. After camping a couple weeks ago, the tail gate got scratched up, so I line-x’ed just the tail gate. I’ve got a canopy on order and it should be here in a week or so.

Thanks,
    Randy
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Thanks for reminding me. Which brand of airbags do you have? Why that particular brand? Installation problems? compressor installed? dual air lines? what other brands would you recommend? and lastly how much? Thanks in advance.

Dean
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I just drove for 15 minutes. Ok ok ill tell you. I was going shopping went past my uncles chevy dealership and noticed a truck with a wierd hood. So i pulled in and to my surprise it was a 2001 2500HD Reg cab Long bed 4x4. White. Guess what it had under the hood. The 8.1 with the allison. It was so awesome its very powerful. They just got it in yesterday. They are a pretty big commerical specialty truck dealership.

Tim if you go with the 6.0 ill smack you. Youd be stupid not to go with the 8.1.

Really got me thinking that my next one will be bigger (engine and size 2500).

Ryan

Oh yea the hoods on these things are really cool i like em alot.
    Did you bother to look at the sticker? I hope you were at least a little bit curious?

Dean
    What i went shopping for new tire quotes.

LT 265 goodyears $650
    LT 285 goodyears $750

:(

Ryan
    Yea i looked at the sticker thats where i seen the options. It didnt have much.

Ryan
    so how was the pricing...the price on the optional 8.1 and allison?

Dean
    Was $31,426
    8.1 was $600
    Allison was $2300
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I don't need a $2300 tranny...and teh 8.1 is only with the allison or a "farmer pete" manual..

..so 6.0 it is....all I need..

Smack me?.....sure you can reach that high?

worry about what you buy babs.....I can handle myself....

you are stuck with that 1500 !

LOL

- Tim
    I am very happy with it.

Ill be looking down Tim not up.

F150 is so beat down (confidence and character) all he can do is bicker and name call pretty sad.

Ryan
    pay the 6 bills for the 8.1....The $2300 for the allison sure buys a lot of Sam Adams...LOL

Dean
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Called GM today, they said my LT was on the production line this week. Does anyone know how long it takes from start until it rolls out the door on the line? Just curious...This wait is painful.
    Your time on edmunds is limited. Soon you will be banned once again....so make the best of it and gor for making all the posts you can. And I'm sure you can do better than #324....try a little harder please!!
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    glad to see you have the cajones to post in here.

sure your ready for what comes next? BTW out of
    the few installers that have 99 f150's in my
    company all but one are trading in for the '01
    chevy's. #1 on the list that changed their minds
    was power. the 5.4 has know where near the
    pulling power that the 5.3 does. this was
    determined under actual trailer pulling through
    the CA grapevine. 1/2 ton chevy vs. 1/2 ford with

identical loads and identical trailers. sorry
    dude, but the chevy left the ford.

2nd on the list was comfort. both crews consisted

of 2 men per truck and all agreed that the front
    seat of the ford nearly broke their butts from
    long term discomfort. I could go on and on but
    the facts are that most people that really use a
    truck as a truck will by the truck that does what

they need it too. now have fun here and don't
    lose control cause you're playin with fire in
    here.

...red
    don't care about Ford topics...but the oval boys just can't seem to get enough of that Ado?

come on over for all you ever wanted to hear about chevy....if your mommy says it's OK?

http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/index.htm

- Tim
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    Nice story. Everyone likes a little fantasy novel now and then.
    I sensed a 22 yrs quote was coming again darnit.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    About $180 at Camping World, in stock.
    You don't want air to transfer from one air bag to the other during hard leans while cornering, so keep the two circuits independent. No compressor for me. I was originally concerned about the possibility of leaks, enhanced by longer air tubes, more fittings, more places to leak. In the end, I think these concerns are unnecessary since I never have to add air unless I want more pressure. I carry a bicycle pump. 45-50 psi is all I ever need, although they are rated for up to 100 psi. I have a short tube running from each air bag to a hole in the fender lip for a shrader filling valve. A better way is to run both lines back to the rear license plate, so you don't have to scramble from side to side with the air hose.

Mine are Air Lift pneumatic springs, model 59501. Camping World carries them under their part number 11551. Why I chose them, I can't say, there weren't many choices for '99 Silverados in the beginning. I've been very happy with them, and the quality, completeness of the kit is first rate. They are not terribly difficult to install. About 3 hours for me. You have to get your hands in some tight places to fasten the nuts that secure the brackets to the frame. Drilling the frame is no prob, it's soft, even through the weld beads. Once installed, you can change out a bladder in 30 seconds without so much as removing a wheel. Has not been necessary to do that however.
    I think I will be watching what the oil futures do before splurging on a gas guzzler. Nevertheless, if you need that much truck, that's the reason for getting one, not just more power for the sake of it. A Camaro or Mustang is much cheaper and faster when speed is what counts.
    thanks for the info on the airbags. When shopping for one, I saw quite a few and was getting confused as to which one and how much to spend.

Dean
    between the Denali and 'rado, spending close to $400 a month on petrol. Could buy another vehicle for that.

Dean
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I also have Air Lift air bags. They make two versions for trucks, light duty 2500lb, and heavy duty 5000lb (I have these). Those advertised ratings are per set and they actually can't lift that much according to the manual on the inside of the box.

I also bought the AL light duty compressor kit. It's kind of expensive at around $150 for the dual gauge version but I'm happy I have it. I carry a camper and use the bags to help level in camp so the compressor is nice for refilling before leaving. The dual gauge controller lets you control the side-to-side pressure as well.

I choose AL because they have more distributors so it was easier to find the right ones. I hear www.jegs.com sells the 5000lb set for $199. That was a good price, don't know about the $180 quad mentioned. Maybe his are the 2500lb version.

Here are 2 pictures of mine. The compressor view is from under the truck looking up.

http://members.home.net/vofm/compressor.jpg
    http://members.home.net/vofm/gauges.jpg
    I have the 2500 lb versions.
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    Here is a picture of the installed air bag.

http://members.home.net/vofm/bar_left.jpg
    info. Will go to jegs and check it out. Price looks good too. Have seen some systems out there for like $800 making these very reasonable.

Dean
    I like the last picture the best. In addition to the airbag, the red color of the edlebrocks sure stand out!! Wished mine looked that clean...
    to that F150?.......doesn't look like it..

...probably like in real life...
    - Tim
    has seveal posts in a row..(now I have two)....I guess his anger just can't be tamed?....

hmm..drop out....I seem to be ahead of you in a chevy!..LOL

....even this post is further than yours!

LOL

- Tim
    ....what?..I dunno....

- Tim
    i'm sorry tim, is there actually a ford owner in
    here or is it one of those Tonka truck owners?
    ..what's the difference?

He's not worth a warning or a boot to me...I figure unless he talks on my site...I'll just ignore him....(as much as I want to slap him around)

LOL

Meredith...what do we do to people who just want to cause trouble...?.....

- Tim
  • gsxr1216gsxr1216 Member Posts: 62
    From what i have seen, if you want a auto tranny you need to get the allison if you order a 8.1 or duramax. The 4l80e will not be put behind either one. So you need to go with the 6 speed ZF manual, or cough up the extra $2300 for a auto. That 8.1 gets pretty expensive if you want a auto, just about a $3000 upgrade.

L18 Engine: Vortec 8100 SFI V8 (HD)
    Includes engine oil cooler. NOT AVAILABLE with MT1, GT4.

LB7 Engine: Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8 (HD)
    Includes engine oil cooler, engine block heater and high capacity air
    cleaner. NOT AVAILABLE with MT1, TP2, VYU.

M74 Transmission: Allison 5-Speed Auto with OD (HD - Base/LS)
    Electronically controlled.

ML6 Transmission: 6-Speed ZF Manual with OD (HD - Base/LS)
    REQUIRES LB7 or L18. NOT AVAILABLE with VYU, NP1.

MT1 Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic with OD (HD - Base/LS)
    REQUIRES ZW9 and YF5. NOT AVAILABLE with LB7, L18, GT4.
    I'll get the 6.0...i don't need the Allison and don't want a manual..

- Tim
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    you asked what happens to trouble makers? they get to hang around and disrupt topics. now, if you're telling the truth that others don't want to hear (read: trucksrme)...well, you just might go bye-bye. what's up with that?

f150 - don't go away mad...just go away...

seriously, keep your negativity over on the other threads, you're interrupting the exchange of quality information over here.

bco
    I gave him a place to go and spew....but he can't figure it out?...perhaps the kid can show him how to post.?

I agree......just ignore it and it will go away..

- Tim
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 2500HD/3500 Series Chevrolet Silverado is now being featured on their main page. Here's the direct link to First Drive: 2001 2500HD/3500 Series Chevrolet, by John M. Clor.
    What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    on Chevy 2500hd last night, ordered GMC 2500HD CC 4x4 LB 6.0 manual this morning from my neighboor. Chevy place was jacking me around on price, wouldn't honor the gm supplier discount.

Plus I like the GMC front end. Ryan, why do you need an 8.1? Buy a motorcycle or a sports car, and keep the old truck for 10 years....
    seriously, i've enjoyed the entertaining banter on the other threads, but i like to think i can come to this one and exchange information with my fellow gm owners. so, if you want to bash gm products, do so in the other threads that everyone else has written off as useful sources of information. don't ruin it for the peaceful folks not participating in the brand wars by chasing the few of us who entertain ourselves with you over here. thanks...

bco
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Since I've already posted this message in topic 2167, please forgive me if I post it here too.

This f150rules guy is something else.
    Kind of reminds me of high school....
    "My car is faster than yours".
    No make that elementary school....
    "My dad is stronger than your dad".

F150rules,
    It is so great to hear that you have all of your
    little toys paid for, and that you are such a
    successful person. After all, he who dies with the most toys or the best toys wins right?

I'm not psychologist just an electrical engineer,
    however that doesn't hide the apparent fact that
    you are a very materialist person (probably a son
    of rich parents), dominating, apparently can't face failure, losing or rejection very well, and that your friends are probably few in number. You need to be right 100% of the time, probably do everything you do exactly perfect and give it 110%, and to fall short on any of these items is unthinkable to you. If you've had children you
    probably raised them with a heavy hand, and your
    relationship with them or any of your friends is
    only skin deep.

And from reading some of your posts, it appears
    that you have had a bad experience in the past
    which has forced you to have this apparent,
    uncontrollable resentment against GM truck owners. What ever incident it was, I think that you should please try to get over it. Besides, does it really matter what kind of truck we all buy? If it does everything I wish it to do, I like it, and meets my expectations than I'm going to buy it, no matter what the label on it says. And currently a new 2001 Silverado LS, ext-cab, Z-71 will do that for me.

Try to loosen up and live life a little more, and
    for God's sake try not to be so perfect.
    And just because some people don't buy Fords all
    the time, or finish high school and go on to
    college doesn't make them unsuccessful by any
    means. Everybody deserves respect, no matter who they are.

-David
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    n/m
    i applaud you effort but have a request.

i'd like to ask everyone posting on this thread to ignore anything malicious f150 posts on this thread. if you choose to retaliate, it will only encourage him to continue returning here.

retaliate over on thread(s) 2168, 2241, and/or 2244. let's keep the pollution over there and the good information exchange over here.

i've been participating in the Chevy Silverado threads since the summer of '99 and feel they are the most informative threads i have yet to find. let's keep it that way. if you want to exchange insults, i would request that you take it elsewhere. tim's got a good site for it for those of you interested. i'm sure he'll be happy to host it at: www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/index.htm

bco
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    Not a problem.
    I too have been a frequent visitor and sometimes contributed to these Silverado topics since summer of 1999. Enjoyed every minute of it. And I'd hate to see anymore time or effort spent dealing with inappropriate comments made by f150rules or others like him.

I welcome any of f150rules comments, as long as they remain relevant to the topic and do not contain information on his self-proclaimed wealth, or personal attacks towards people based on their education, or on what brand of truck they drive. There is no need for that here.

The battle over which is better Ford vs. Chevy is older that any of us, and will continue on long after we all have been turned to dust. But let's not kill each other over it here, ok. That is what childish topics like 2241 are for.

Back to Silverados.
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record now, but my 2001 Silverado LS, ext-cab, Z-71 with two-tone paint (white/pewter) order is still being rejected because of the two-tone paint option. Looks like it'll be Christmas before I get this darn truck.

-David
    David...I think F150 is the high school drop out in disguise....

back to real stuff...

- Tim
  • f150rulesf150rules Member Posts: 195
    Just another affirmation that you truly are a high school drop out loser. That one really bothers you and it shows.
    Never said i needed one just said i drove one yesterday.

ALso help me out guys i am gonna lube my truck friday. What do i use (brand) and where can i get it? THanks

Ryan
  • smith53smith53 Member Posts: 72
    that silverado owners want no ford dodge or tundra owners posting on the rado topic but they are the very ones who do most of the posting on the topics of the other makes.
    ..Crisco works good.....just slap some over each fitting...

hehehehe

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.