Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Turbo Corolla?

91rolladx91rolladx Member Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Toyota
I have a 1991 Toyota Corolla DX and an interested in turbocharging it. Has anyone ever done this?

Comments

• turbodude84turbodude84 Member Posts: 26
    I have a friend in Maryland I think he has a kit for that car.. is it front wheel drive or rear?
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    If you can find Dennis Wade (posts as badtoy), he turbocharged his Corolla with the help of Toysport. But I think his was quite a bit never than yours (1999?). I'll see if I still have an e-mail for him.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    Nice to have a topic we can sink our teeth into!

Yes, I had a 2000 Corolla with a Garrett T25; it ran about 5.5 lbs of boost wihout intercooling, and was very strong and entertaining. Never had any problems with it, and I still got 28-30 mpg.

There are any number of places who can install a turbo for you -- just don't get too crazy with the stock engine, or the bottom end will bo away on you. I would also suggest intercooling, for top all-around performance, especially on hot days.
  • 91rolladx91rolladx Member Posts: 5
    All this has been helpful. I have been doing a lot of research and I have found a complete turbo kit with intercooler for my car. The price is right around $2500, so its not that bad. I'll be buying the kit in 2months. I need some time to save some money. http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/prod/TC2001-X
    Garrett Turbo with wastegate set for 6 pounds of boost
    Cast exhaust manifold and exhaust outlet
    Chrome heat shield
    Down pipe with gasket
    Map unit (black box)
    2 injectors and interface block
    Injection control unit with turbo timer
    Blow off valve
    *Fuel pressure regulator
    High flow intercooler
    Polished aluminum piping for intercooler
    *Air cleaner and piping
    Stainless steel braided lines for water cooling of turbo and all fittings
  • turbodude84turbodude84 Member Posts: 26
    Good Kit
    Is that Turbo Specialties Kit?
    Later Derek
    From my understanding it is alo a great idea to run turbo back exhaust when you turbo your car. I havent been able to find any turbo back exhaust systems for my car. does anyone know where a system is available for the 1.6l 4afe toyota engine???
    Yea it is turbo specialties
  • dgunawandgunawan Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have 2000 corolla that I want to put turbo in it. Is your vehicle doing fine with turbo alone without intercooler? Did you buy the turbo itself without the kit? Did you have to do any modification or pretty much bolt on? Ok thanks in advance for your information.
  • speedangel1speedangel1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All

I have a toyota corolla 1993 xli Plus 1.6, since i also have a bmw 325is , so i don't know anything about the Toyota but i would like to do some engine upgrades on the toyota can i install a turbo kit on the stock engine , what is XLI plus means can the enjine handle it,

Thank you
  • speedangel1speedangel1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    i'm kind of new on this site actually on the Toyota cars , i have a 1993 1.6 L 4afe, dohc , i would like to install a turbo kit on my car i read from your profile that you have the same engine that i have , i just want to mention that i have no idea about toyota cars i was looking at the net and found the T20 turbo , will it work on my stock engine and what else i need to upgrade to have a complete kit

Thanks for your help

Tamer
  • skepskep Member Posts: 1
    hi every1
    i came across this site in search on info bout turbo's on corolla's.
    i have a 97 model corolla seca rv with a few mods to it. im interesting in knowing if a turbo is possible, what sizes, and prices. if anyone could help or has info or a site can u plz email me at bboy_skepp@hotmail.com

thanks heaps
    skep
  • toyboy7toyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    I want to modifie my 1990 toyota celica and make it a beast. I recently tough
    that it may be possible to put a 1990 toyota camry v6 engine and man trans under
    the hood. Is this possible or what else can i do.
    :confuse:
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    What does this have to do with Corolla discussions???? :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oops, that was my suggestion - focused on the Turbo and confused the model. Toyboy is getting some suggestions in another discussion or two though.

:blush:

Steve, Host
  • 4afeturbo4afeturbo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1991 corolla turbo, and im having problems with boosting. it boggs down under boost like it doesn't want to pick up. It is find under vac, but once it hits about 2 pounds it boggs down and i have no clue why my compression is fine, i dont understand what the problem is will you please help!!!
  • masiahmasiah Member Posts: 2
    (Currently out of denver)Hey whats up people?I am currently working on a 1991 toyota corolla dx sedan and wantd to know if anyone knows where i can find a good performance engine for it(maybe something with a turbo charger builted in)?I would b very grateful for any ideas...
    Thank you
  • masiahmasiah Member Posts: 2
    (currently out of denver)Hey whats up man?Am looking for a new engine for my 191 toyota corolla with a turbo builted in.Do u happen to have any suggestions?If u do i would love the feedback........
    Installation is very easy, but tuneing it is a [non-permissible content removed], it took me 2 months and $500 dollars later to finally get everything running right. It was wel worth it, car is very very fast under boost. No 4age could take me. so dont let anyone tell you its not worth it to turbo a 4afe if you tune it right, its worth it. If you dont tune it right, then its probably not. highly recommended to buy a airfuel controller also, i had to cram a LOT of fuel into my engine to get it to boost, i was running way lean for a long time and it wouldn't boost. This is on a 1991 corolla dx. Picture that one.. lol.
    Very good kit. i bought the cheaper one of the two and i had to buy a fuel controller but im pretty sure you get one with the kit you buy, but it is very much worth it. And about the turbo back, Try going to a muffler shop and getting them go put on a 2.5, or a 3 inch exhaust cat to muffler. I didn't get charged to much for mine like 75 bucks for a 2.5 catback. Good luck with the kit. Its wel worth it.
  • coopscoops Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of putting a turbo on my AE92 with a 4A-FE and saw your note just wondering how difficult it was and if you could post your tuning specs?
    okay, i dont know what to tell you right now, it may just be my engine is messed up some way, but i keep blowing my head gasket between cyl 1, and 2, im running lean under boost too. so i dont have specs, i am tunin it myself. when i get it all right and running A1 i will let you know what i did to get it tuned. It probably would be a prolblem for a shop to tune it, but i want to do it for a living to im just startin on my own car first. install was not hard at all, easy as putting on a cai, just takes a little bit longer. if you have any more questions email me at blind_sk8er_7@yahoo.com..
  • nos4afenos4afe Member Posts: 1
    what exactly are you tuning it with? just adjusting your fuel pressure or actual ecm tuning...im very interested please let me know!!
  • 407kw4agett407kw4agett Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problems when i started playing with turbos on my corolla change ur fuel pressusre reg and upgrade ur fuel pump. i had i nissan navara turbo on my 4afe and when i put the 4age in i went to twin 28 32's running 14 pound of boost and when it hit 2500rpm ur in another world till 8700rpm then you change up a gear. its currently running 407kw at the wheels since i tuned it and upped the boost to 14psi. i also found the haltech interceptor was the best piggyback ecu for it. if any questions email me at cookie.182@hotmail.com. oh and i didnt spend more than ten grand it is the perfect first project car and the power to weight ratio is 203.5kw to 350kg.
  • 407kw4agett407kw4agett Member Posts: 2
    its running standard unleaded at the moment cause of how expensive the [non-permissible content removed] is. wen i had the 4afe it was fine but when i put the 4agett in it i had a heap of troubles its got nippon denso 600cc injectors and a tsunami fuel pump the boost controller timer intake adjuster fuel regulation is all programmed by the ecu and i just put my laptop on my passanger seat and adjust it to the way i want to drive it. im actually starting to run methonol thru it which ill find out the results on the weekend
  • st1llz82st1llz82 Member Posts: 1
    on the 4a-fe and its rods are very different from the ones in a 4age they don't seem as strong. [URL=http://media.photobucket.com/image/4age rods/20vbtseca/Picture582.jpg?o=1][IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/20- vbtseca/th_Picture582.jpg[/IMG][/URL] the one on the left is the ge and the right is the fe if im not mistaken. so along with the turbo id get some thicker rods. Unless yall already took that into account. then im just blowin hot air. just my thoughts though
This discussion has been closed.