Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2006+

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I think Honda try to use the smallest AC possible to minimize power drain. Civics and CR-Vs, in our experience, were notoriously the worst. I do find the AC in the TL adequate, although I've not driven it in the dessert yet!
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    The AC in the 2003 TLS is more than adequate and it gets cold in a hurry.
    I went to lunch in my co workers 2004 Toyota 4Runner and it took forever to get cold in that cabin.
  • zeakzeak Member Posts: 24
    My TL is 3 weeks old and the AC will run one out of the car "COLD". In fact the only complain is from my wife, I am always looking for a reason take it for a spin.
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    LOL delmar :P

I have been in the in the CA Central Valley (HOT) and the TL AC is not very strong. My 96 Camry had a much more powerful AC, I would turn it off in about 10 minutes, the TL AC is on constantly. Oh well, nuff said. :cry:
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    :cry: <------ Nick...are those tears or are you sweating?
    Yes :cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    My 2003 Acura TL has the same problem. It gives cold air but when you put it on high, it is not as strong. frisconick, did you put the a/c setting on? You should press mode so the a/c would be on.

One time the A/C setting was turned off accidentally on my 1996 Toyota Avalon XL and it blew out hot air until i realized i turned it off. But it works fine now. So it may be the same issue on your TL. If it blows out hot air, you should turn on the A/C mode.

My TL's glove box wont stay closed. When driving, it would fly open and it doesnt seem as good as my Avalon. Does anyone else have the same problem and any solutions?
    Solution is duct tape.

Actually...I believe what you need to do is to adjust slightly either the 'catch' bracket or whatever you have that locks the glove compartment. All you need is a screwdriver.
    Yes I put the AC on me, so I guess I will just have to get rid of my TL, and buy back my old 96 Camry :P
  • zompzomp Member Posts: 1
    Here it is and it does not look like there are any exterior changes. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/3653.html
    The car looks the same to me. Plus it will likely cost 2k more, so I don't see the benefit of an 06. But if you are new in the market, I would go for and 05 fast. :P
    Hope my car never looks like the bottom two pictures.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I think it highly unlikely that the '06 will cost as much as $2,000 more.

The benefit of the '06 is that the rattles, vibrations, etc. will be further refined out of the car, not to mention the fact that torque steer of which some have complained will be significantly lessened.
  • ssoper1ssoper1 Member Posts: 4
    i cant imagine anyone would say anything bad about the TL i have a 05 TL aspec and the ac in it is colder than ever imagined ... your icee must be a hot cup of coffee pal.. if your ac is bad or not working there is a such thing called a warranty and yes dealer will diagnose and fix your ac problem free of charge...
    yea all wheel drive so the car can weigh another 500 pounds that would be great thinking there... the car has limited slip as it is and the car handles and delivers great power to the front wheels... all wheel drive= more money you already got 35 grand into the car oh what the heck is another 3 grand then the car would be in the 40 price range - the car would never keep up on the market.. the TL kicks ***
    anybody who knows anything will not settle for an infinity no comparison between the infinity and an Acura.. its honda and its only the best...
    Just a message to all Acura buyers.. For starters i have owned honda/Acura vehicles for the past 10 years. not once has anything ever gone wrong.. If you use high quality motor oil such as redline 5w-20 or 5w-30 and change it every 3k miles the car will run so smooth.. then drain the coolant and run 40/40 water coolant and run redlines water wetter and watch and feel the smoothnessw of how much better flow your car will be.. you can run your car hard all day and it will never know it.. then running manuel tranny's put redlines mtk or a 10w-30 or 40 oil in the tranny and feel it shift sop much smoother.. I got an 03 rsx -s turbo i run it hard all day had 40k on it runs all day ..smooth.. and my 05 TL runs beutiful with 8k on it and yea my grandmas 1987 honda accord. with 376k on it still starts and runs like a champ everyday... HONDA ALL the way nothing else even comes close....!!
  • sriggs1sriggs1 Member Posts: 17
    Wish my Acura did not require premium gas. I have an 03 and will be buying a new one. My 03 has less horsepower than the V6 Honda Accord which burns regular fuel. Any thoughts with all the concern about gas prices why they insist on premium.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You don't need premium gas. Ask any mechanic. The computer controls on the car will make the very minor adjustment to burn the lower octane fuel. The Accord is getting a redesign for 2006 and will look like an Acura. They're fixing that aweful rear - probably end up looking like a TL or TSX.

I hope Acura does another CL type. The TL is a bit boxy. And the Accord coupe is a bit too small. The Infiniti G35 coupe sits real low too. Tough for a 6'1" 225 lb guy to get in and out of 6 times a day.
    TL boxy? Generally the TL is viewed as one of the more shapely cars on the road. Any other taller TL owners who can give their experiences with ease of entry into the TL?

BTW....on the TSX board...there is an insistance that premium fuel is needed.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I believe Acura increased the price of the '05 TL. When you consider that the '06s might not be discounted as much as the '05s, $2,000 sounds reasonable.
    The computer controls on the car will make the very minor adjustment to burn the lower octane fuel.

That "adjustment" will result in a lower level of performance and worse mpg. You either pay the higher octane amount or pay with more frequent refills and a less enjoyale ride. Your decision.

What any mechanic will tell you is that putting premium gas in a car made for regular will not improve performance.
    I have heard several people here complain of the TL weak AC. Maybe the aspec has a super AC.
    I think Frisco's just fussy!!! :D
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    He's just prone to hot flashes at his age! :P
  • phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    Folks, I sell Acura's and my customer feedback is that running the 89 octane does not really affect HP or gas mileage, running down to 87 does.
    hmmm...funny - I've never thought about 89 - only 87. GUess I'm an "all or nothing" kinda guy.

Technically, premium has min oct rating of 92. The TL technically requires 91 (that's what I recall seeing on my gas tank). Maybe the deal is that gas with a MINIMUM octane rating of 89 is likely to be close enough to 91, whereas 87 would never get high enough.

Any thoughts?
    LOL :P

We are having a hot wave in the west, and the AC is just plain weak. I just turned in a 96 Camry that blasted me with cold air for a whole less money than the TL's AC, yeah, damned straight I am fussy. :cry:
    frisconick.... Just was thinking. I recall you have a silver with black interior. What was the color of your Camry...along with seating material (cloth or leather)? Could it be that the color combo of the Camry improved the interior temp? That is....if the cabin was cooler to begin with...then the initial blast would be cooler. Just curious.
    I had a maroon Camry with a light clothe interior, but the difference in AC power can't be acounted for by color of the car. The Camry AC was far more powerful than the TL, at least by a factor of 2 or 3 times. I am just shocked about how weak the TL AC is, just stunned. I bought my TL is May when the weather was very mild, but now that it's really hot, I am very disappointed in the TL AC. :cry:
  • jeffreylevinjeffreylevin Member Posts: 32
    I have 17 k miles on my 04 TL. For the first 2 months I put premium; gas avg was maybe 1mpg better for 10 cents a gallon more. I use Amoco Silver 89 octane. No performance issues; 21 mpg mixed, 27 highways. TL engine sensors adjust fine. My recommendation would be consistent with a good brand of gasoline.
  • gemgemgemgem Member Posts: 3
    I leased a new TL back in April. I currently have 10,000 Km on the odometer and have only a couple of minor issues. I hear a low rumbling sound coming from the rear end of the car. The noise is most noticeable between 60 (35) and 80 (50) Kph (Mph) I have had the dealer check the balance of the tires, suspension, etc., and everything is up to spec. They even switched identical tires and rims from a demonstrator to see if it made a difference and it is still there. The dealer says the noise is coming from the 17" Michelin tires. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since this discussion is about the '06 model, please visit our topic titled Acura TL Owners: Problems & Solutions to ask about problems with previous model years.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I am not sure if using mid-grade pencils out where you save 10 cents and lose 1mpg.

1mpg / 22 mixed mpg = 4.55% lost mpg
    $2.95 for premium x 4.55% = 13.4 cents.

BTW...have you ever tried to use regular? If so...what type of mpg difference did you get?
    Delmar, I want to make sure I understand your calculations. You are saying that if you lose 1 mpg, you're using gas 4.55% less efficiently. Is your next calculation indicating that the loss of efficiency costs you 13.4 cents/gallon?

Premium in Tampa is $2.60/gal, so that'd mean that as long as the mid-grade was 11 cents cheaper, it'd work out, right?

The reason I might be interested in the mid-grade, 89 octane is that (theoretically) it's possible you would not lose any mpgs. Our Acuras recommend 91 Octane. Premium is 92 - more than enough. 89 is too low, but gas labelled as 89 Octane isn't 89 Octane, it's gas whose MINIMUM OCTANE LEVEL is 89. That means it is guaranteed not to be lower than 89, but the "ave octane level" would be higher. Could be 89.4 - could be 91.

In general, does anyone know the relationship between "minimum octane ratings" and "average octane levels"?
    Here is my calculation again....and let me clearify.
    1mpg / 22 mixed mpg = 4.55% lost mpg
    $2.95 for premium x 4.55% = 13.4 cents.

What that means is a decrease of 4.55% mpg with mid-grade requires that the alternate fuel source to be 13.4 cents cheaper than premium to break-even fiscally....as you will be consuming 4.55% more fuel. What it doesn't account for is performance (hp) or for improved gas detergents (for instance, regular and midgrade Shell has 2 times the EPA standards....premium has 5 times standards)

Let me know if that makes sense...believe I have calculated apples to apples.

So...if it does make sense...in Tampa.... $2.60/gal x 4.55% = 11.83 cents is the required hurdle rate of where mid-grade has to be cheaper than premium.

As for your question regarding minimum octane...well...I'll let others touch on that...then I will pipe in later.
    Got it - thanks.
    You were interested in stepping out of premium gas....so here is a good link from another board:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#55 of 56 Regular v. Premium by jrynn Aug 15, 2005 (7:26 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Lainey -- Your link wasn't working when I tried it, but here's another from the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/05/AR2005080501595.html?sub=A- - - R

Here are a few very brief excerpts:

Automotive experts say using regular gas in most vehicles does no damage and makes no discernible difference in performance. Cars made in the past 15 years have such highly refined computer controls that the engine will adjust to the grade of octane in the gasoline, even in cars sold as requiring premium gasoline. Some drivers -- in some cars under some driving conditions -- may notice a drop in horsepower, but for most people behind the wheel, it wouldn't be enough to notice, the experts say.

"It's not going to hurt anything," said Peter Gregori, service manager for EuroMotorcars, a Mercedes-Benz dealer in Bethesda. In fact, Gregori has been using regular gas in one of his own Mercedes cars for two years, and "it's perfect," he said -- even though Mercedes-Benz says owners should use only premium.

"I get better mileage with the regular than I do with the high-test, in this particular model that I have," Gregori said. Among cars that come in for service, Gregori said, he can't tell which have been sipping premium.
    What happens if something messes up in your engine, you go to the dealer to get it fixed, but they tell you that the warrenty does not apply because you used low-test gas? :cry:
    From what I understand...they are unable to determine what type of gas was used. It isn't like the petro-police will come screaming to fink. Especially what was indicated in the article.

However....I am play devil's advocate...when I indeed use premium. As I wrote above...it doesn't pencil out that there is any savings if there is a decrease in the mpg. Look at my lousy math I did yesterday...in a post about 5 up.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Automotive experts say using regular gas in most vehicles does no damage and makes no discernible difference in performance. Cars made in the past 15 years have such highly refined computer controls that the engine will adjust to the grade of octane in the gasoline, even in cars sold as requiring premium gasoline. Some drivers -- in some cars under some driving conditions -- may notice a drop in horsepower, but for most people behind the wheel, it wouldn't be enough to notice, the experts say.

I guess that is true for a person that doesn't know much about cars or doesn't pay attention to things like acceleration and mpg. Whether or not people notice the difference or not, their car is not performing up to its best with lower-grade gasoline and is most likely using more gas per mile than it would on the correct grade. I guess at lot of this depends on the type of car who's low-grade gasoline you're buying. If you're buying from someone other than Mobil,BP, Shell, Exxon I think you're only fooling yourself by getting cheaper, low-grade gasoline from a no-name outfit. Just my experience.

M
    Yaah....I agree that the car is most likely to be using more gas per mile...and it really depends on why brand.

I definitely would stick to the major brands...that seems to make a huge difference. In one of my past cars...filled it with Costco brand. Gas was $0.10 cheaper...but gave the savings back by getting 2mpg less.

As for what is the 'correct grade'....who knows if mid-grade of 89 octane would work and whether it is close enough to the recommended octane of 91. I did pencil out the savings in a few posts back from another person...and it shows it did not pencil out with a 1MPG change. Even if it did...it would be immaterial savings.
  • sychterzsychterz Member Posts: 7
    The compression ratio determines the octane required by your engine. Lower octane will combust with less pressure than higher octane gas. So if you have an engine with a high compression ratio (ie producing higher pressure), then you should use higher octane fuel.

If the fuel has a low octane, and the engine has a high compression ratio, then the fuel will combust BEFORE the cylinder reaches its highest point (ie BEFORE the spark plug ignites), due to the pressue in the cylinder at that position, thus causing less fuel efficiency, and eventual long term damge due to the exhaust in that cylinder being forced out of valves that are not yet opened.

Putting high octane fuel into a low compression engine that has low mileage has little to no effect.

But engines these days have detonation sensors, oxygen sensors, throttle sensors and more. All of these sensors relay information to the computer, and the computer adjusts the air/fuel mixture and the timing to keep the engines from detonating. However, when one sensor goes bad, we are back to an engine with too much squeeze for the quality of the fuel that's available.

In a well used car, cooling systems, old sensors, and engine deposits will cause the low octane fuel to combust sooner than it should, thus causing the valves to "ping". Ping is caused by the explosion happening before the valves are open, and you hear the explosion hitting the valve. Simply using higher octane fuel will reduce the pinging. This works for my 1990 Accord which has 270,000 miles on it. Honda's seem to have a greater tendancy to ping as they age, and often people think something is wrong with engine, when in fact this is a common occurance.
    GREAT post... Premium seems to be the way to go. Becoming more clear.

Alright...if all of you feel the gas price pinch...here is way to mitigate. I have been using gas rebate credit cards. The Discover Gas Rebate card gets a 5% rebate ($0.15 savings on $3/gal..savings of some $75/year) and the Chase Perfect Card gives 3% or $0.09 per $3/gal). Others I have seen is AAA credit card...but it has a really quirky structure where somehow the rebate is capped by other purchases.
    Whether or not people notice the difference or not, their car is not performing up to its best with lower-grade gasoline and is most likely using more gas per mile than it would on the correct grade

To me, this still begs the question, if the TL recommends 91 Octain, and mid-grade MINIMUM OCTAINE is 89, how far below 91 is the AVERAGE OCTANE? In other words, will using mid-grade gas give you an average octane of 90 or 91?
  • sychterzsychterz Member Posts: 7
    will using mid-grade gas give you an average octane of 90 or 91?

That's a moot point. The octane rating is what the oil companies' quality control department has determined that they can certify. I highly doubt its much higher than the certified octane rating, since then the oil company would be losing money, and they're greedy enough to make sure that doesn't happen.

Anyway, isn't the topic of this forum supposed to be about the 2006 Acura TL, and not about OCTANE????!?!?!?
    What would you like to contribute regarding the 2006 TL ?

Taxesquire has a valid point. Besides...it would behoove the oil companies to keep monkeying to get it to just pass the threshold. They would be better off keeping a margin of safety. It isn't like adding and controlling the exact amount of sugar in a cake mix.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    OK, but this really isn't the discussion in which to debate gasoline formulation. Let's stick to the TL and take the gas conversation to News & Views.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Have you tried turning on the air recirculation feature and seting the temperature to max?? That would give you pretty good air flow.... otherwise, how about getting a fan and plug it on the cig lighter?...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I definitely would stick to the major brands...that seems to make a huge difference. In one of my past cars...filled it with Costco brand. Gas was $0.10 cheaper...but gave the savings back by getting 2mpg less.

It would be very interesting to know where Seven-Eleven, Jewel, Costo etc. get their gasoline from. I would swear that Citco 'gasoline' is nothing but funny smelling water, but an engine will run on it.

M
This discussion has been closed.