Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    really interested in that option, but I will take it if I do not have a choice. Looking at the OnStar web site they say they will be installed in the fall production. Mine was completed on 9/14, so we will see how it is delivered.

Jeff
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to...

i didn't coin the term "flaps", and i'm too lazy to look backwards. i call it a gasket, or rubber boot. who knows what the term is. it's a piece of rubber that prevents water from leaking between the windshield and sheetmetal...how's that? main point i wanted to communicate was - why silicone? looks like i guessed right.

say, speaking of guns, any you guys ever messed with a 120mm smoothbore? used to have four of 'em...had to give it up tho. :( those things have some kick now... best when used on iraqi's at 2+ miles... ;) on the waaaaayyyyyyyy!!!

bco
  • kayhkayh Member Posts: 1
    I recently ordered a Silverado LT. I specifically asked the dealer if I could add options after I ordered and was told that I could until they started building the truck. This past Saturday I went in and asked to have the ON-Star System and Electronic Traction Assist added and was told that it is too late, even though it is my understanding that they have not yet started building my truck (the truck was ordered about a month ago). Is this in fact true? It's too late to add these items? Also, how can I find out when they do start building? Thanks for your feedback. Kay
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    number....you can change it until you have a build date....a buld date insures that all parts will be there when yours is made.....it's not lik ethe old days when extra parts were there.....

once you have a build date..and want to change...you have to start all over again...

Good luck

- Tim

No kyle.....I have not used a 120MM..sorry guy....how good does it fit up the rear of a ford guy who has "rules" in his user name?

LOL
    I have noticed new for this year, only for the LT's, is Automatic climate control. Anyone know about this.

Jeff
  • richardm6richardm6 Member Posts: 45
    jaumen

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try and see. www.bnsf.com/cws/tracing/index.html
    This site lets you track your vehicle from plant to dealer.

Richard Mc
    That WEB site would probally work, only if your truck was coming by rail.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    ...NOW we are talking......there are those times when 2 is too low and 3 is too high...and you wish the temp had one more click in-between....

forget on-star....(hello?..where am I?)....now we are talking something usefull...

I like it in my dad's Lincoln....I'd like it in an Ado..

- Tim
    Tim
    I have not yet had anyone that has bought a 2001 LT say if they have it. I hope that it is not a late production feature. I have not even seen any LT's on any lots in my area.

Jeff
    may be a later option....My 2000 2500 LT was built Aug 99...and it lacks a few things later 2000's had....nothing major....but things change....

Glad I'm waiting 'till 2002 for the HD.....maybe things will be concrete by then?

Good luck

let us know what happens

- Tim
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    You think that duramax video is for real? I know its gonna be pwerful but from the looks of that itll blow em all away

Ryan
    ...but reviews of real life hauling..it blows them away.....about time GM steps up to the bar for Diesels....

- Tim
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    What duramax video?

John
    Go
    http://www.teleweb.net/mgdvhman/index.htm

At the top theres a link

Ryan
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    Thanks to the people here, I used electrician’s tape to secure the "rubber flap" for 2 day (it's not noticeable). This seemed to fix the problem, on Saturday I took it to a window shop and they removed the molding and installed double sided tape (for free, the installer owed a silverado). No problems so far. Be careful not to leave the electrician tape on for too long in the sun, it gets sticky and can be hard to get clean.

Randy
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    GOOD video!

Sometimes I wished I'd waited to get a 2500HD diesel - I have several friends with the powersmoke diesel I'd love to see eat crow, but I do really like my '00 2500 6.0L.

Goin' camping this weekend. Towing a 4000lb trailer for the first time with my new truck. Real curious how it'll handle and what mileage I'll get. Round trip should be about 550 miles to the salt plains in north central Oklahoma with about 60 scouts. Hope mother nature decides to cool the temps a bit or rain. Been 59 days without rain so far.

Boy that HD diesel sounded GOOD!

John
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    That's cool go ahead and vent here, but when you get into negotiations, remember, stay cool and detached if possible. Now knowing that you had transfer case work done, which would disturb the transmission, makes your case all the more plausible. Stay cool and no threats

matthew
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    With 40,000 miles in just a couple years, a good dealer would help you get credit from GM. That many miles usually means you commute on freeways; 40,000 miles is WAY too soon for a trans to go out. Good luck.
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    Does anyone have the Snowplow Prep package that includes the aux lamp switch? I ordered the switch to use as for some work lights that I am adding to my 2000 Silverado and I was wondering if anyone could give me some help as to how I could find which wires should go to the various places. If anyone is interested in the part # for the switch I have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I really don't want to have to chase down the functions of all of these wires.
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Randy - Thanks for the info. I will put some tape on it probably Thursday, it supposed to rain tonight. The truck is going in to the dealer for 6000 mile service on Monday so I will see if they will do anything about it. If not then after I yell at them I will take it to a glass place.

Thanks again,
    Mark
    jeff -
    my wife has the climate control in her jimmy. great feature...i agree with tim. set the switch to a certain temp and forget about it. perfect for long trips.

phil -
    i think we may know each other. you been to korea? i recognize your name. hmmm 9 m1's, 13 brads, and two gun tracks...you know what they say...if you ain't cav...

...you ain't cav... LOL!

bco
    tim,
    how come there isn't a video link when i go to your site. first thing i see is the pic, then the beer quote of the week, and then the site guidelines. no link? can you post it here or email it to me at work? i'll shoot ya an email real quick...

bco
    you have to have the program called "quicktime"

I sent you the link Ryan posted above....and tested it...works fine

- Tim
    a newer version of Netscape or IE...

I just tried old version of netscape...and it did not work....worked with IE though....

Good luck
    - Tim
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Stick to TRUCKS people, PLEASE????!!!!....

he said, locking the gun safe and pushing away temptation....

"Why me?" he said, looking upwards, "I've been good, mostly."....

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host

"Official Keeper of the Keys to these 3 Asylums"
  • davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone recommend a particular injector cleaner? If so, how often? Are they worth anything or just a bunch of marketing BS
    Meredith is off her rocker
    Whyd you ax my bedliner topic??? I said please dont i even said PLEASE!!!!! It was about trucks too it wasnt nonsense. Thanks for ruining my day :(

Ryan
    for those of you trying to access tim's TRUCK video, you need "quick time" software to do it. you can download this software free at:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/index.html

install this on your machine and you can view the following video link:

http://www.members.home.net/mgdvhman/psd_lost.mov

and watch a chevy TRUCK pull a dodge TRUCK or ford TRUCK around a parking lot in bumper to bumper tow-offs.

bco
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    is Trailer Life and their tow results. They list tranny and oil temps after an uphill pull. Only thing they exaggerate is the solo 55 or 60 mph run as I have never driven that slow for so long.

Dmax numbers look good..... but I still don't want one for a dailey short distance commuter.
    Could we do it like penny did brian hill in orlando?????
    ..we ARE talking trucks.....it's about a truck video and tuning your browser for it...

- Tim
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    I dont know if this will help but I did the same thing on my 1996 truck I had.The switches I used had (5) five pins or maybe in your case wires,mine were pins and were not marked in any way so I solderd wires on to the pins.Here is a list of what the (5) five pins did
    (1)power in from battery power
    (2)power out to light
    (3)power in to back light the switch
    (4)power in to turn on power indicator
    (5)ground wire
    I assume your truck is not factory equipt with this switch and you are doing an add on.I have the snow plow prep package so my truck has this switch and the pigtales from the switch were not an easy find but if your truck is factoy equipt with this switch let me know and I can tell you where to look for the wires.
    I hope this helps.
    Andrew
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    Do you know how TL conducts their acceleration timing tests for a vehicle driven solo and when towing? I mean, do they just floorboard it or do they accelerate under moderate throttle and then punch it hard? Also, I'm wondering if they do their timing runs with the air conditioner on or off? I've always been curious about their 0-60 times when towing a trailer, because I've found as much as 7 to 10 seconds difference in my 2500 depending on how I manipulate the gas pedal as I am accelerating. In a recent issue, they had a 2500, 6.0l and 4.10 gears pulling a 7300# trailer from 0-60 in like 21 seconds. The best I can do with my 6000# rig with 3.73 gears is about 29 seconds.
    I have talked to several dealers and they have said that OnStar and the Automatic Temperature Control will be standard on LT's this fall.
    ....nobody says I have to USE the on-star....

- Tim
    But they are still going to make you pay for it whether you want it or not....

Jeff
    in the first year as I understood it?.....nobody says you have to re-new it?

- Tim
    what I have been told, the first year is free. They also said they are working towards putting it on every vehicle GM sells. There is probally a direct link to the IRS so they can track everyone down.

...Jeff
    ....people have already said that...it's all a conspiracy!

LOL

They are watching us!...

I've disliked many changes in life...and even got to use them or accept them in time....who knows?...maybe I'll be an On-star Junkie one day?

LOL

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    maybe you could borrow bco's 120mm. That should take care of any tracking being done....LOL.

Seriously, I haven't activated mine on the Denali. They say the first year is free...buy who gets lost on an island...Plus I'd rather look at maps rather than have some operator trying to guide me. The only feature that I like is the ability for the operator to open the truck in case you lock your keys in it and the automatic notification when the airbags go off. I wonder if its connected into the security system. Must be, if not just cut the wires and be done with it...

Dean
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Sticking to trucks, what are the best trucks for using on those long skateboards? I find that the trucks from my regular oard flex too much ...

And my Kenworth 18-wheeler has been using too much diesel lately ...
    Hey Joel i seen you posted about changing your tires on your expedition in the tahoe topic. I was wondering if they will do the same for the silverado tires??? Did you have yours changed???

Ryan
    are on recall also...I think I had mentioned before that chunks of rubber fell off my old ones. Well, I guess they now figured that it is a defect...took them only a year to figure it out.
    Denali to Expedition....what's up with that? AT least you wouldn't be ignored in the Yukon topic...LOL!!
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My truck is ready, but I didn't have time to get it. They replaced the intermediate shaft again. Also had a squeaky window motor on drivers side. They replaced motor. My warranty has about 4000 miles left. I'd like to have confidence that the steering shaft lasts as long as the rest of the truck.

BTW Ryan, if you read Merideth's earlier post about the garand, you'd know she is a he. Don't overlook these rare opportunities.

Onstar, who needs it? Maybe a few do. I prefer using my GPS and software. Next dirt bike trip, if I can make it in October, is Utah again. I've printed the 3d maps, charted waypoints. Made virtual fly overs of the terrain. Of course the software makes it look like it's just sand, when what you really have is hard scrabble, slickrock, desert badlands, sedimentary deposits, silt, sand, salt, sulfur, uranium and quicksand. That's the San Rafael Swell for you. I'm going to know where I am and what I'm doing instead of clinging for dear life, sucking roost!
    in what kind of quantities? Just curious in case I have to make a small toy bomb.... ;)

Dean
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    The switch is just the start of a long down hill road to travel of giving your hard earned money to GM and a dealer.

I did this and used the factory harnesses, but it took a while to do it along with a very sympathetic parts man that is a friend of mine.

There is an intermediate harness that goes from the switch to another harness that plugs into the mid-buss electrical center (under your left foot), the parking brake rachet mechanism, and the PRNDL switch by the steering column. The power flow then goes out to the under-hood electrical center (fuse box) and then back to the same harness that connects to the harness with a relay in it to power the roof beacon. All the wiring is in the centers already and the SEO (Special Electrical Option) fuses are all in place.

I am currently on the road on business but send me an e-mail and I will send you further info re: the part numbers and if you send me your fax number I will fax the wiring diagram info from the Silverado service manual.

It does work slick once it is done, but requires a dedication to detail and love of labor.

matthew
This discussion has been closed.