Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2006+

Comments

• jojowhitejojowhite Member Posts: 3
    I assume that to be true, but the manager of the dealer told me otherwise...Thanks
  • muff1369muff1369 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems when trying to close the trunk in the TL. Sometimes it will not shut. I have to hit the unlock button on the remote...then close it. Seems odd....but might just be my car.
  • jimer78jimer78 Member Posts: 3
    Is it me or does the 2006 TL have less horsepower than the 2004-2005 TL? It's gone from 270 to 258. Does anyone know what happned?
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    You may have inadvertantly locked the trunk with the remote when the lid was open.....I did the same thing with my wife's Camry.
  • calgarydrivecalgarydrive Member Posts: 7
    Yes I agree with you taxesquire on that comment, only problem is my wife can not drive a standard otherwise manual all the way for driving, no doubt about that! :D
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    They changed the measurement method / standards. Same 'power' as prior year...different measurement method. This is a bad analogy...but it is like measuring inches versus centimeters.
  • marsinoregonmarsinoregon Member Posts: 5
    All HOMELINK systems I have ever used (including in my TSX) supports Rolling Code. THere is a complete how to program in the manual.
  • marsinoregonmarsinoregon Member Posts: 5
  • phastphil1phastphil1 Member Posts: 24
    All manufacturers change things form time to time. Would you go back to a restaurant and complain that the price of a meal you bought the week before went on special or was lowered in price before you bought it? They probably got enough feedback from customers that they wanted the Acura warranty to be closer to what Lexus or Infiniti offered. Should I SCREAM AND YELL at Gateway, because the computer we bought a little while ago is almost half the price now? Give them credit for stepping up and offering more.
  • phxphx Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone had success in programming a pause in the dialing string with the Buletooth phone, I would like to set up one command to dial into my voice mail, pause and then dial the remaining digits. I see you can do this with two commands but it's very clunky. It seems to accept the Pause and repeat it back, but not actually provide the pause. I am using a Motorola V710 phone.
    I was successful in programming my Home Link with my rolling code garage door opener. The issue is the distance is limited to the point I have to pull into my driveway before the door will open. With my remote that came with the garage door I can open the door at least a hundred feet away if not more.

What kind of experience are other having with a rolling code system? :confuse:
  • jiminthehillsjiminthehills Member Posts: 60
    I know this is from 4 months ago, but I have now caught up w/ my reading (up to the present post), so bear w/ me. I am now out of lurking mode and appreciate all the great reading material so far.

I would like to pose a couple of HOT questions to all of you that have the Ebony interior -

Is it as hot as I think it is in the summer :cry: ?

If so, I am really conflicted because I'm trying to stay as cool as possible within my two ideal color combinations for an 06 6MT....

Now that I have waited 3 years to get my TL (when they finally offer WDP w/ Ebony for 2006 - got to love it :D ), people are telling me that this may, in fact, be the "warmer" combination in the summer (So Cal) than my second favorite (Anthracite w/ Quartz). Please tell me it isn't so.....

Any opinions from any of you that have had previous cars w/ these general color combos?

Is a dark exterior/light interior a cooler temperature combo than light exterior/dark interior?

Logic would tell me that this is not the case, but I have searched these forums for a while now and haven't found anything definitive on this so far.....
    The distance issue you are referring to may be related to how long you are pushing in the button. With the homelink...you have to hold the button in for a tad longer (probably a safety feature I imagine) and that is why it may seem the range is less. Try it...see if that works.

If it doesn't....you should look at your garage door opener and see how the attenna is spread on the remote. It should be this little wire that comes out from the rear of the power head. Try to lengthen and relocate the attenna.
    Is a dark exterior/light interior a cooler temperature combo than light exterior/dark interior?

A dark interior should be warmer in temp than a lighter interior all things being equal. It is the 'greenhouse' effect of where you have glass surrounding the cabin and the interrior cooks from the sunlight.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I think the question was whether a light exterior could counteract, to some extent the heat retained by a dark interior.

Put another way, which is cooler:

a dark ext with light int
    a light ext with dark int
  • cbunncbunn Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I just signed up for the Acura TL discussions... I just bought one two days ago and ....... OH MY GOD! This thing is absolutely dreamy. The '06 does accelerate in a seemingly more controlled fashion. And other than the Tire Pressure Monitoring System, those are the only major differences. The A-Spec package was considerably more. But who cares? The vehicle is bad to the bone, in every way.
    Yes....that is what I was attempting to convey in my opinion....that a lighter interior is cooler all things being equal.

Here is how I came about with that opinion. When I used to do a lot of business travel....I would have basically the same rental car make and model...but in different colors. I found that the lighter colored interior cars to be cooler...even when it had a dark exterior. My thoughts are that it is the greenhouse effect...where the a darker color interior absorb and retain heat from the surrounding glass.
  • maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    My solution is for you to install a remote starter, and get whatever interior you like. I have always had a dark interior, on both my 2000 black TL and now on my 02 Satin Silver TL. My 06 Tl that I am waiting for will have a dark interior, but the first thing the dealer is putting for me is a remote starter. I use the starter in both summer and winter. It really makes a lot of sebnce to have a remote starter, I don't know why more manufacturers install them at the factory.
  • mldj98mldj98 Member Posts: 378
    For what it's worth...this is my view....I owned a Lexus RX330 that was silver exterior and ebony interior...I live in Florida....talk about your heat....lived in SoCal for 8 years....trust me...Florida is much hotter...period! Anyway....I had the same concerns about the dark interior....so this is what I did....stupid as it may sound...when I was on the Lexus lot we did an experiment....while blindfolded (no bs) I sat in different colored cars with different colored interiors to see if I could tell the difference.....guess what....natta...nothing....they were all extremely hot....these cars were sitting out in the sun on the lot all day...it was about 2 pm when we did this test....first I did it...then my wife...same result....when it comes right down to it.....not that much difference....especially if you are on the fence about which one to get....if you like ebony...then go for it...that is the only way I would buy a white TL...and now the 06's come with white exterior and ebony ineterior....now the exterior color does get a little hotter to the touch between dark colors and light colors....but since you like white....that color reflects uv rays...but dark colors tend to suck up more heat.....and while we drove our SUV around during the day....we just set our ac on auto and the rest is history!
    But this is only my opinion....good luck!
  • wymanwyman Member Posts: 13
    I've not been able to do program my garage door (rolling code) my TL. My wife's Accourd works fine but the TL can't seem to make the connection when I program it. I'm now using the garage door remote. :(
    Ok...let me come up with a solution to my the hot interior concern. First...even if a darker interior is hotter...it really shouldn't stop you from getting the color of choice (I was only answering the question of which I believe is hotter without any solutions...shame on me).

The solution is this... Of course use a sunshade. If possible...use one of those metallic reflector type...it makes a difference. Then for the car seat....throw a towel on the seat to insulate it from the heat. Yank that towel off before you sit...then just blast the A/C with the recirculation mode. You will be fine....
  • jiminthehillsjiminthehills Member Posts: 60
    You know, mldj98, that isn't as stupid as it sounds - when I posed this question to some of the engineers at work, one of them told me to take two thermometers to the Acura dealership at 2pm and quickly throw them into the two candidate's passenger seats and let them bake in the closed cars for 20 minutes. Then, open the driver's door of each car and observe the readings as they come down over the next 5-10 minutes. This may be more telling than what you, your wife, or I could tell from a subjective "seat-of-the-pants" test.

Not bad advice - I actually may do it!

My concern now (after all this research) is that the Ebony leather will retain heat longer than the Quartz (grey), especially being trapped against my back side while the car is trying to cool on a hot summer day....

Even though the Ebony is beautiful, the day in and day out hassle of the extra heat may drive me nuts after awhile.

Thanks, Mr Esquire, Mr Delmar, and Mr Zoey for your comments, too, that may ultimately make me go for my second choice....
  • bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    Using a remote started is questionable considering concerns over pollution and the energy crisis. In some places laws have been passed on the amount of time a vehicle can be left idling. I think that manufactures are very sensitive to this, and that could be why it is not offered as an option (despite the desires of a small segment of the global community).
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Here's something peculiar. In the '05 TL brochure it says:

"Gasoline with an octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance."

But in the '06 TL brochure it says:

"Using gasoline with an octane lower than 91 may cause damage to the engine. Please consult your owner's manual."

Well, which is it???
    Was the remote start by Acura? If not what brand?
    1stly, "your welcome" even though I don't think your actual question go tanswered.

My concern now (after all this research) is that the Ebony leather will retain heat longer than the Quartz (grey)

Isn't the quartz a dark, charcoal gray? If so, I doubt there'll be much difference.
    DON'T GET A REMOTE STARTER IF YOU HAVE THE 6MT!!!

The car will lerch forward when you start it since no one will be depressing the clutch! I know that's obvious, but I just wanted to get it out there.
  • sriggs1sriggs1 Member Posts: 17
    Got my 2006 TL yesterday, first in Little Rock. White/Parchment, so really no different than 05 except for the tire monitor, but I bought instead of leased so the year newer means something to me on resale. LOVE IT! Got the Nav which I wasn't going to get at first but am glad I did. Hooked my bluetooth phone last night and love it, too. I was thinking of just buying a Honda EV V6 (which is a good car), but after driving and looking at both, the TL is definitely worth more than the 6000 difference.
    The answer is both... You will achieve lower performance with the possibility of engine damage with regular use.
  • mannyfmannyf Member Posts: 1
    I heard there is a problem with the Bluetooth feature and Treo 650s. Anyone had experience with that?
    Manny
  • bogiedriverbogiedriver Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking forward to getting my new TL, Silver/Black, automatic with navigation. I've agreed on a price with the dealer and now just waiting for it to arrive. It's due to be manufactured the last week of October. Hopefully I will have sold my 1999 BMW 323i by then!
    Any suggestions on an extended warranty, I doubt I'll buy one but if anyone has please tell me what kind of deal you've gotten. I know they usually offer them at discounted rates. We've owned hondas and Acuras, so I don't expect to need it. Any other suggestions for the new TL would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I'm getting ebony in my TL to arrive in a few weeks. I live in the central valley of California. VERY HOT in the summer here. I've been driving a 1999 BMW with black leather and I love it! (the black leather, not the BMW) Like the TL, the BMW's windows can be lowered and the sunroof opened using the remote as you aproach the car, that really helps on a hot day to let some heat escape before getting in.
    Hurray for ipod users! :)
    The following is copied directly from the owners link at Acura.com.

Acura today unveiled the Acura Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the 2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."

"We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific restrictions. :shades:
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    They announced the "Acura Music Link" like a month ago. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the feature for my 3G iPod. Now, if only Apple would release a 8GB Nano before Christmas which would be large enough to hold my entire music collection. If not I may have to get me that new 30GB 5th gen iPod even if I'm not interested in watching TV episodes on that small screen. :shades:
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    bogiedriver: what kind of deal did you get for your 06? Where from?
    sriggs1: you too!

Re: extended warranty -- I'd lean against for reasons mentioned and the longer powertrain warranty included with 06s. Have you priced them out for 05 vs. 06 that might be a lot cheaper given the extended 06 powertrain warranty?
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    $250 plus installation? why dont they just have a connector the ipod hooks into so you can control it from the ipod?
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    I had the same problem but, my sone found the answer. On the back of unit is a red button, push it once; after doing that, you have 30 sec. to push and hold the button in the car. If took about 40 sec. to lock in. My neighbor had to hold his opener next to the home link after pushing the button on the back of the opener once.........
    Don't know if I helped or not, good luck :)
    Stickyman
  • stickymanstickyman Member Posts: 53
    You can use either but the performance will be lower if you use less than 91 octane. I tried 89 octane in my 05 TL and had the rotten egg smell that would not go away. Switch back to 91 and the smell went away. When I made the switch to 89, I saved $3.00 over the cost of the higher octane..........it wasn't worth the savings to me.
    I purchased the car knowing that I had to use the higher octane so, I'am comfortable with that.
    Using lower octane in a TL is like buying a steak and having it cooked well done..........why waste the time or taste.
    Stickyman :D
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    And while I am loathe to spend one penny more than I have to (on anything!), let's say you fill up 15 gallons/week paying .20/gallon more for premium. That's an extra $156/year. You are driving a $30k+ car so I'd have to hope that extra buckfiftysix won't cause you to default on your mortgage! Trade one cup o' Starbucks each week for the good stuff for your TL!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

That gas to drive to Starbucks alone will recover the price difference. Get a bag of Starbucks beans from Costco and grind/brew at home.
    I agreed on $1,200.00 over invoice, pretty sure I could have done better but I've dealt with the same sales manager on two other cars in the past and just kept it simple. It went like this: What price are we talking about? He replied 1500 over invoice, I said 1000, he said 1200. Fine done in 2 minutes, I know I may be a sucker to bite that easy but I'm so satisfied with the dealership (Fresno Acura, Fresno, CA). Such a change from the incompetent arrogant ___ _____ at Weber BMW here in Fresno!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,732
    You are not a sucker. If you got the car you want at a price you are comfortable paying, you've won. Especially if you now have a dealer that treats you right!

Enjoy the TL!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

But what did he say the invoice was? Sometimes dealers pump up what they claim is invoice. I would want a dollar amount, not X over invoice. At the closing, one could get a bit of a shock.
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    We plan to buy a TL this week (or next week). $33K is our limit for the 06 TL 5AT/Navi. If we don't get that, we'll wait until all of the 2005 models are sold. Maybe a month from now. I don't want my dealer to think of me when he/she is in Hawaii this winter. :shades:

Before you ask, we're interested in the TPMS so we'll pass on an 05 TL.
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    If you can get it, take it. 33K for '06 TL Nav is only a few hundred over invoice.
    You'd probably start a stampede to any dealer offering this kind of deal.
    Why would the '06 prices drop after the '05s are sold? :confuse: (I'm not arguing, I just don't understand the economics of that)
    Popular cars usually sell for sticker (or near it) when they're first introduced, early in the model year. Then, as time passes, winter sets in, car sales decline, and the discounts begin. Granted, the '06 isn't a "new" model, but I think in general prices decline in each model year as time passes, falling to a low before the introduction of the next model year.
    That's invoice, isn't it? Surely, you will have to pay something OVER invoice.
    I understand that prices drop as time passes, but the prior poster didn't mention waiting until February when sales are lower. He said he'd wait until the '05s are gone. Other than that being a way to measure time, I don't see how the disappearance of '05s will reduce the prices of '06s on that basis alone.

Maybe he meant "wait for a rainy day towards the end of February," but decided to phrase it in terms of the '05s disappearance b/c that's when he thinks they'll be sold off, but. . .
    My mistake, invoice is not 33k, it is 32,999 for an 06, ATw/Nav
This discussion has been closed.