Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Uranium...., would you believe yellow cake?

How about a $75 peanut butter and jelly sandwich at Ray's Tavern in Green River? (Trust me, it's on the menu)
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    I am getting a knock or pop sound and feel when I back up with the steering wheel turned max to the right. It has progressively gotten worse, is this the half shaft problem?
    Are the General tires on recall?
    My steering knock got progressively worse. I hope they fixed it this time. I could feel it all the time this latest episode. At first, only over uneven terrain, or when turning or braking over bumps. When it felt loose even at freeway speeds,...that was too much. Read about this problem in the Car and Driver long term update too. They charged them something like $135 because it was out of warranty. As far as I am concerned, if it keeps happening, it'll never be out of warranty.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Yellow cake....geeez. You had my hopes up....LOL

Dean
    you'll note it is for 1/24 nascar models....makes you kinda think...hasn't sold any full size vehicle on ebay as of yet...just toys. Biggest sale prior was for $24.00

Dean
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    ok, yeah, i scribbled #592...thanks oby. thought he had sold 24 real cars on there...LOL at myself!

bco
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    about a a clicking noise on 2000 Chev. Monte Carlos? It happens at slow speeds or stopped, and happens when the front wheels are turned to the left or right-only clicks once when turned in either direction, but is annoying. Sounds like a relay going on or off. I know this isn't Silverado related but there are some knowledagable people on this site. Thanks for any help!!
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    Yes, as long as its an actual Firestone store, and you bring the letter with you, you should get fair value for your trade-ins.

Oby - Expy vs Denali - I explained this a few months ago, but the bottom line is that I wouldn't give in to GM's lack of pricing incentives to buy the damn thing. I got the Expy for a lot less cash per month, and its only a 2 year lease (give time for GM to get their programs right), and also the fact that its my wife's main vehicle anyway.

My bigger decision comes next year when my Z71 goes back. What to get - Avalanche, C3, 2500 Crew ... Decisions, Decisions.
    lightning? Bumped up the HP and Torque. they also look pretty decent...for a ford.

Come to think about it, I do remember about the Expedition...at least it wasn't an explorer...

C3 looks inviting....but the price tag...don't know about that one...
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Loose CV joints in the front driveline?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Thanks i printed the letter iam going to go today maybe ill get new ones the 29th. How manymiles did you have on yours? Mine have about 6200 mls

Ryan
    Got my truck back. Steering knock gone.

They had 2500 HD on the lot, in LS trim, X-Cab, 4x4, 6.0L, 4 spd auto. Stickered at $32,478.
    I don't see what the fuss is about. Truck looks exactly the same, inside and out, except for revised hood and grill. Purely cosmetic, purely sheet metal. Allison 5 spd auto adds 2300, and duramax adds 4300. Salesman says it's sooo quiet, exactly what I predicted after noting how quiet those medium duty Izusu trucks are. Problem is, some owners want that loud clatter so the world knows they paid extra for it.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Evidently, the dealer is going to replace the rack and pinion-hope it doesn't turn into a Shakerado problem!!
    Well guys i printed out that firestone letter and drove to my local dealer. GOt there showed him the letter at first he tried and play stupid. Asked me how many miles i told him 6288 he said thats outta warrenty i said what? Then he said oh six thousand he said no problems. he said call him tomorrow to see if the warehouse had replacements. I said the duelers right? He said yea. I said how much will i have to pay? He said huh? I said the difference in tire prices he said no charge my tires are still "new". So i am getting a set of free tires woohoo!!!

Ryan
    you're getting bridgestone dueler at's? let me know how you like them. i'm looking into them too. really don't want to stick with that company, but $650 for michelin atx m/t's is a little high for me right now. maybe the next set...

bco
    I am but i dont know which size didnt ask that i will tomorrow.

Hopefully the LT265's

Ryan
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    Truck arrived at the dealer yesterday. I will pick it up on Friday. Yes...it does have OnStar...I do not think it has Climate control though.

...Jeff
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..let us know how it goes..

- Tim
  • sabot1sabot1 Member Posts: 28
    BCO,
    drop me a line sabot1@compuserve.com. And Yes, I was in Korea. Top of 72 steps and 200m to north. What are you up to now that you're installing plow wiring harnesses and, I assume, plows?

Phil
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    I can't find your original post on your tires. Did you get a letter from GM to exchange them? What size are your Firestones? Thanks!
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    What exactly happens to them ? Does the other end get worn from it being loose,and if let go could it break where they join? I will take it in soon as I can do without it for a day.
    that they had their intermediate shaft replaced but did not resolve their clunk in the steering. They replaced the upper bushing/bearing to solve the problem. I gotta laugh as mine just started yesterday as I reverse and turn the wheel to the right, it clunks, kind of like it's binding, then releasing. Tech was saying that it needs grease when I spoke to him on the phone. Had to laugh then asked him to order a new one...

Dean
    visited my local firestone dealer last night. he measured my tread depth, determined 23% usage, and pro-rated them against a brand new set of dueler at's (LT265/75r16) that he should be able to put on next week. let the warnings fly...

bco
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    How can the air flow thru the vents be completely stopped? Fan setting is "off" - shouldn't that stop the flow of air thru the vents? There is no flow when the truck is not moving, but when moving the air must be forcing its way thru the vent system. Any ideas?

John
    Stuff it with paper towels haha j/k

I know what you are talking about happens all the time seems the faster you go the harder it comes out???

Ryan
    You got it! Seems there should be some way to completely shut off the airflow.

P.S. - What brand of paper towels do ya recommend?

John
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    flow air when the fan is shut off. Manufacturers don't want you suffocating. Bad for plubicity (spelling?)

Recirc on low setting directed at your feet is the best you can get for minimum air flow.
    Bounty the quiltted quicker picker upper hahaha
    I'm sorry guys. I didn't ask to see the shaft they took out. The warranty papers only show about 0.25 hours to put it in. That question your service advisor raised about needing to lube, I've wondered if that would take care of it. Can't answer. The knock, I'll bet, is what you guys are feeling. Feels loose knocking right inside the steering wheel hub, up close. Nevertheless....the fix which has worked twice, if albeit temporary, has been to replace that shaft. I've wondered where it connects. Right up to the wheel? Dunno. Maybe it is just dry, in need of lube. Kind of feels that way. Feels to me like steering column shaft moves in linear direction, along its axis. One thing for sure. Once replaced, feels tight as a drum. Hope it lasts this time.
    Thanks.

John
    He is putting the order through today and they should be in by monday.

Ryan
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Selecting Recirc turns on the AC even when you don't want it.

Mike L
    i imagine you've tried this, but i think at least on the side vents you can close the actual vent itself right? got a little wheel under there that when you point it to "x" it physically closes the vent. if memory serves me right, the middle ones don't have that option. hmmm...point them straight up in the air and cool your map reading lights??? LOL

bco
    does not turn AC on for me....

- Tim
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    How many miles did you have on them?

My 99 has 24,000 on it. I don't think its worth it for me, since it goes back off lease next year anyway.
    What I really wanted to do was be able to completely shut off the air entering the vehicle in extremely dusty conditions, ie., following another vehicle on a gravel or dirt road. I usually try to stay well behind another vehicle, but sometimes its just not practical. Doesn't seem to be a way to do this. Best bet seems to use the recir mode.

John
    It does on both my trucks. The AC light is not on, but cold air blows just the same.

Usually happens in the cool morning. The day before I had AC -Max Cooling (Re-circ). In the morning, I start up, turn off the AC and drive away. A couple of miles later I'm getting cold and I have the heat turned up 1/2 way. Then I check the Recirc, select outside air and the AC turns off.

I called Chevy Cust Support, but they were no help. They couldn't even tell me if it was supposed to be that way, or if it was a problem.
    'Go see your dealer'. Dealer says they all do that.

Suprise, suprise.

Mike L
    i just turned 12k on them. figure they're prob'ly rated to 40 or 50k. dunno if it's worth it to you or not...you plan on keeping it after your lease is up? consider the fact that you can get brand new tires all around for prob'ly less than half the cost.

i was telling ryan last night...local cooper/goodyear guy has been selling various makes of tire for 19 years now. i asked him what kind of tires he drives. he prefers bridgestones and firestones. said bridgestone is prob'ly second only to michelin in the tire industry. he also said the reason he prefers bridgestone is because their quality is exceptionally close to michelin, only at a much better price. i believe the way he put it was, "if you can afford michelins, get 'em. your next best tire available is bridgestone."

bco
    i'll check again tonight....but I don't think it does it......

- Tim
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Hey Guys,

I just called thje local FS dealer and asked if what I had read about them inspecting and replacing the tires if I am not happy with them was true. He said, No they will inspect them and replace them under warrany ONLY if there is a problem with the tires. Is this what happened with you guys?
  • dumanduman Member Posts: 53
    start with fan on; re-circ on, a/c on. then shut off a/c then the fan........no air enters my cab when i do this........havent seen any rain in about 70+/- days, been fishin and dove huntin.....i feel your pain afa the dusty roads!
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    I’ve notice a squeak on the passenger side (somewhere between the cab and the bed) when driving at slow speeds over bumpy areas.
    If I stand on the bumper and rock the truck side to side I can duplicate it. It does not seem to squeak in the up/down motion, just side to side. Is this normal?

2000 GMC Z71

Thanks,
    Randy
  • dumanduman Member Posts: 53
    that wont work unless you select vent only. bi-level, defrost and split defrost will bring in the outside air. the owners manual(not helms) says somthing about "decreasing the humidity..." when the selector is in any position 'cept vent. i might be wrong but check it and see
    Nope guy didnt even look at my tires just asked how many mls i had

Ryan
    go to:

http://www.bridgestone-firestone.com/news/consumer/news/00803a.html

and click "print". then show the dealer the nice little line that says:

"We will inspect each customer’s tires for damage or excessive wear and ensure that the tires are wearing properly and inflated to the level specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. As part of our long-standing customer satisfaction program, customers who would like to exchange their tires will be given a credit toward new tires, based on the remaining life of the tires. In fact, any issues or concerns following the inspection will be remedied to each customer’s satisfaction."

and ask him what part of "any" he does not understand. that's what i did. matter of fact, when inspecting my tires they DID find two problems. one, they said "firestone" on them. two, they said "wilderness" on them. that's defective enough for me...

bco
    According to the latest Wheels.com report dated Sept 18.

Also has availability of Duramax as Sept and 6 spd as November.

Mike L
  • idahodanidahodan Member Posts: 12
    What have they done to our trucks? OnStar will immediately connect you to either an ex-welfare recipient or an ex-Packard Bell Tech Support rep who will, after getting your customer number and your SSN, will recite an advertisement while telling you exactly the difference between your [non-permissible content removed] and a hole in the ground.

Meanwhile, too stoopid to buy a map, you sit in perfect Climate Controlled Comfort, fat, dumb & happy like a Lincoln owner, complaining that your truck makes a squeak when you floor it to make it through another reddish-yellow light while swerving to miss the too-damned-slow school bus, and that's why you wanted 250-hp anyway.

Yeah, it's a rant about what trucks have become; just sissyfied, p-whipped SUVs for guys that don't want to be mistaken for someone who watches Oprah. It's too bad someone can't make a pure truck anymore, just a big V-8 or diesel, enough hauling capacity to tow a small house, and tough enough to make it up a muddy hill or through the trees, clearcoat be damned. Yeah, it rides rough, and it squeaks and it burps, but damn, it's a truck. Sometimes I think we're just a bunch a citified nancy-boys. OnStar my [non-permissible content removed].

Come and get me, meredith, but i'm talking the truth.
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    Doesn't turn on the AC compressor on mine. I seem to recall a thread about sertain models doing it and having the computer reprogrammed, but I don't recall. Mine never did it, so I didn't worry about it.

Interestingly, I haven't noticed air coming in when the system is off, either, even though I know it is supposed to. You'd think I'd notice, since I get hot easily and I often drive barefoot.

Mine is a '99

Richard
  • tex6tex6 Member Posts: 96
    Especially the line .....don't want to be mistaken for someone who watches Oprah. LOL
This discussion has been closed.