Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I took pics of my pics (does that sound right???) tonight of the scratch i had in my truck that caused $750 damage. Its not the best but i thought id add it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ryanbab

its the last 2

Ryan
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ..a photo album of repairs??

LOL

.....drink AFTER you take pics boss......after!

hehehee

- Tim
    Did you see it? I took a pic of a pic. that was a kodak photo of the scratch i took a pic with my digital camera. Not the best of quality sorry. YOu get the idea though

Ryan

Album of repairs??? No no
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    My truck drives really good again with the new intermediate shaft. Have 32,000 miles now. Dashboard still really tight, no rattles anywhere. I do have to oil those leaf spring shackles or they squeak. Aerosol lithium grease works best. Love it when it drives like this.
    you know what you are looking at.....I have no clue what you are showing us..

LOL

- Tim
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I am about to order Zaino -- the whole set, probably including the leather care stuff too. I am just curious, since I've read a ton of positive posts here and elsewhere ... is there ANYONE who has used Zaino and didn't like the results

I think my black (on black) LT will like it.

Richard
  • vince4vince4 Member Posts: 1,268
    I don't get ANY air flow through the vents when the fan is off. The manual says the system switches to recirc when the fan is turned off to prevent just that. Maybe this function doesn't work on many trucks? Or maybe they changed it. Also my a/c doesn't come on in recirc mode. Mike showed me the symptom on his new truck and sure enough, cold air. How stupid does GM think we are that we can't decide when the a/c should be on?

Early 2000 2500.

P.S. Mike, you say your 99 does the same thing? That is really wierd because mine was built between both of yours and it doesn't do it.
    Tell me about the rear leaf spring squeak and the fix. Mine has developed a "chirp" when I accelerate sharply from a stop and sometimes when the rear end goes over a bump like a driveway. Do you use the spray grease on just the shackles or between the leaves too? Have you ever tried WD40? Since I have that I'd like to try it for diagnosis even if it doesn't hold up as long as the grease.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    and polish the wood trim on their dash? I heard of using furniture polish and was wondering if there was anything better to use out there.
    Got the truck back from the dealer yesterday. They kept it 2 days to change the radio (3rd one) because the transmission won't work with the radio removed. Crazy. They replaced the entire rear slider because of the cracked frame. The new one is just fine, I'm glad I had them do it. Now if only it doesn't crack. The window motor was loose and rattled when the door was closed with the window down. Thanks to the GM Lemon Truck website I had the TSB# for the advisor. I only got one "that is normal" diagnosis, for the rear differential oil seepage. Not bad. I was tempted to complain about the idle but thought I wouldn't push my luck for now.
    My truck is 100% good old American plastic. You must have one of those fancy SUVs.
    there was a time when I didn't like the results of the Z5 and Z2. After using Zymol, you get used to wiping the polish off before it dries. Unfortunately, the results are not the same with Zaino using the same technique. You have to let it completely dry which was my mistake the first time I used it. Since then, I've read the directions... ;)
    Thats a pic of the side of my truck (cant you see the black flare?) with the scratch and dent (cant see)

Ryan

Its a bad pic i know sorry
  • storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    I had a similar squeak/rattle issue. Only squeaked at low speeds over bumps. The dealer ended up realinging the bed because it was rubbing (on the frame I guess). Don't really know the details of what they did. But, it worked!!

Kevin
    Whats up with topics 2194 and 2195 they are one in the same. Delete 1

Ryan
  • davec1257davec1257 Member Posts: 24
    cause I got dissed before. Is anyone trying a particular type of injector cleaner on their Silverados? Do they really work or is it just marketing BS?
  • storchstorch Member Posts: 72
    I just use my right foot every now and then! Wouldn't think anyone would with a Silverado would be in need of injector cleaner anytime soon! If the truck is getting to be 15 years old, it might help. Are you having any hesitation or rough idle issues?

Kevin
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    same thing for me. last two times...i've let it dry for a couple hours. had two neighbors knock on my door to make sure i wasn't off my rocker. once it's dry...it's easy to take off and looks great.

bco
  • z71z71 Member Posts: 67
    Thank both of you for your information. It seems that you both used two different methods at getting the switch to work. Careyace or blackmax200, do you remember which prongs went to which functions? Do y'all think that it would be easier to just figure out which prongs go to what and solder them or do you think that it would be better to buy all of the correct parts? From what I remembered at looking at the prices of some of the wiring harnesses and stuff it looked like piecing it together was pretty expensive. Blackmax200, how much was the price for all of the parts? Where did the power lead eventually come out at? Under the hood, etc? The guy at the parts dep. ran my vin # and he said that I did not have the correct equipment in my truck for the harnesses to hook up to, although I am not sure that he knew what he was talking about. Blackmax200, do you know for sure that all of the trucks have the plugins that you were talking about? If I do not have the plugins, it would seem that careyace's method would be the best way to go. Again, thank y'all for your help. Oh yeah, out of curiosity, what do both of you have hooked to your switches?
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    For me, they replace both leaf springs to get rid of the squeek. It worked. I hope its not an annual visit though.

The springs were so compressed that they were riding on the bumper pads of the lower leaf, and would grind at take off. On the new ones, the bumper pads don't even come close to the upper leaf now. Truck sits higher too.
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Is yours a 1500 or a 2500?

John
  • tfstfs Member Posts: 12
    Just greased my '00 4wd ex cab sb, appreciate the detailed info from this site. the pics were excellent ! will be installing the 90 degree zerk next time. I now have 21 k miles, and no problems to date- thanks for the help- tom
    ok, i FINALLY got my most recent zaino pics uploaded to the pictrail site.

goto: www.picturetrail.com/kwerking

and look at the "action photos" album, pics 3&4. that's the best i've seen...

richard...think you're black on black will benefit from that???

bco
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I really needed to verify that switch P/N.

Mike L
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    today while I was running around. According to the brochure, LT models come with OnStar and Auto Climate Control. I also saw the new "tan" or "neutral" color interior. Massive improvement over the "pumpkin orange" medium oak. Neutral leather looks great... like a Lexus or something. Hmmm. Now if GM will just buy back my shaker, I might be persuaded to try a black LT with neutral leather. But only with a 24-hour guarantee. I figure I'll drive down to Ft. Worth (about 500 miles round trip) and have lunch with my cousin. That way I'll put enough miles on it in one day that maybe I won't have to wonder if I have a shaker. Definitely do not want to go through this mess again.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    what a shine Kyle...that's a great lookin truck!
    now if we could just get the EPA to put a ban on
    those yard blowers.

...red
    thanks red...lotsa elbow grease...but worth it...

bco
    ...I still like the results....but the actual process sucks....I don't even like washing them anymore either...

GRRRRR

Good thing both are not black!.....DOHHHH!

- Tim
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    Anyone have links to some pictures of your truck with rocker panels preferably 99-2000 GMC Sierra, but silverado would be nice too. I just had some installed, since I have the fender flares they said the could only get the 7 1/2" instead of the 9 1/2" panels, so I have a 2" gap between the panels and the chrome molding. It looks ok, but I want to know if the larger ones were available and what they would look like.
    Thanks,
    Randy
  • fortopfortop Member Posts: 239
    Is she like one of those imaginary friends I had when I was 6 years old? Each to his or her own.
  • jaumenjaumen Member Posts: 54
    ...everyone use to clean the black part of the bumper?
  • kraftekrafte Member Posts: 4
    I have put up with the spark knock in my 2000 LS for about 4500 miles. My first wish is that I never bought it because the dealers can't hear the noise and the outside mechanic shops can't fix it. If I sell it...lose 4K. If I don't....lose mind! Has anyone heard of some ways to decrease the knock that are proven?
  • careyacecareyace Member Posts: 44
    I think it would be easier to figure out witch pins go where using a multimeter and some trial and error and for a lot less $$$$$.
    The switches I used were from the previous body style with the dash from 1995-1999 and it went in the dash right above the push button 4wd.
    The switch I had has five pins.If you look at the back of the switch at the pins,mine had two rows of pins.I'll try to type out a diagram.
    1 2 3
    4 5
    (1)was for the power indicator light on the switch.
    (2)was the ground.
    (3)was to back light the switch(I tied into the dash lights so the back light would dim with the dash lights).
    (4)was from the battery or your power source.
    (5)was for your light you want to operate.

And then where ever you run your wire just put it in some of the wire loom(the plastic tube with a slit) that you can buy.It looks better,And don't forget to put in an in line fuse.

I'm guessing that your switch will be different than mine though but I sure hope this helps.

I don't have anything on mine just yet but I will be putting on some sort of strobe light when I get a snow plow maybe next winter.

Andrew
    Injector cleaner has not been needed since sometime in the 1980s. New injectors are self cleaning, especially when combined with the new cleaner fuels. I doubt the dealers even do anything when they get the big bucks for the service.

bco: nice pictures!
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Andrew, you do have a point about the expense, in that I spent 4X what it cost in parts doing the research...but I am real anal and wanted to utilize the existing wiring taps for power and ground so I didn't screw up the computer(s) wiring. Besides I like the wiring to look neat under the dash. If some GM tech had to get under there to do wiring under warranty, I didn't want a fight on my hands.

What really burns me is that aside from the snow plow prep package, I know of a few volunter fireman that would like to have the wiring there so all they have to do is drill and plug in. GM will not put this option in a 1/2 Xcab but will in a 1/2 std. cab and 3/4 Xcab...go figure?

Anyway the pin-out for the switch, which is where I think, this all started is as follows:
    Top __
    F A __|
    E B
    D C

A is unused

B is ground for the internal lamp and LED below powered by connectors D and E.

C is power out through the main switch for the relay coil.

D is power in from the dimmer to control the "Aux Lamp" light on the switch bezel

E is power in to light the indicator LED to let you know that whatever you have powered up is on... LOL

F is B+ power, that should be fused, to the main switch that goes through to connector C and on to the relay.

Hope this helps

Matthew
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    Can get snow plow prep package on K2500 Xcab
    That's for Tim
    LOL

Darn right!

- Tim
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I broke down and bought a set of PIAA 980 dual driving/fog lights. They are small enough to fit in where the stock foglights fit.

Well, they are installed and working. Took a couple of hours to fabricate brackets to mount them, a couple of hours more to wade through the wiring diagrams and decide on how to wire them (I wanted to use existing, unused wires through the firewall), a couple of hours more to actually do the wiring. In other words, the whole day.

The foglight portion works through the factory foglight switch. I added a switch for the driving lights in the small pocket where the autotrac switches would be if I had them. I had to fabricate a small metal panel to fit in that spot and hold the switch and an LED (to tell me when the driving lights are on). The driving lights only come on when the high beams are on.

Since I have the relay that has high and low beams come on at the same time, I now have Hi Beams, Low Beams and Driving Lights at the same time. If I can't see at night, I better get new glasses.

See pictures of the dual PIAAs at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/mledtje

Anybody want to buy a factory foglight? I have both the right and the left available - $25 each.

Mike L
    Nice truck. Hey whered you get that blue bow tie for the front???

Ryan
  • 99crewcab199crewcab1 Member Posts: 79
    how many of you guys park you truck outside? I started college in late august and have left my truck at home in the garage. I hate not having it, so I was thinking of taking it this week. just curious.
    Nick
    due to the fact you would have to park outside?

- Tim
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    got anything to do with the elements, but rather
    the jealous idiots that have nothing better to do
    than to walk by and scratch a perfectly good
    TRUCK. but then again i live in calif. where
    there are alot of zaney people running around.
    LOL
    Today at work a guy came in with a F150 supercrew for a bunch of bricks. I was like your gonna take it all they said yep so i didnt argue. 420 holland pavers appx 7lbs each. Loaded all of em on a pallet and threw it on his truck pallet barely fit. Truck held it but that bed isnt made for hauling. Pallet goes in push it forward maybe 5inches and its against the cab. Truck sagged very bad rear end down to the ground. From what i have seen if you plan on doing alot of materials hauling the F150 crewcab isnt for you. I couldnt beleive how small the bed was. Nice truck but its a people mover.

Ryan
    LOL

Dean
    Mine is outside too. Have too many power/bench tools, and the Camaro and Sebring convertible are inside.

We make the zany people stay out of the area.

Richard
    I got the other cars out and too much crap to fit in the front side of garage....winter it all goes in the back section and I park indoors.....I hate scraping snow and Ice man.......when's the ado gonna get one of them instant de-icer buttons?

- Tim
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    Southwall technologies (SWTX) is working on a laminate in the winshield that will give rapid de-icing. Maybe GM would contract them and we would see it in the Silverados.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    For purposes of efficiency,....

this topic is being "frozen." Please continue these discussions in Topic 2310, Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Member Posts: 115
    to Chevy Silverado - Continued XVI. Thanks!

Bonnie Rick
    Conferences Manager, Edmunds.com Town Hall
This discussion has been closed.