Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Pickup (pre-Tacoma) issues

allevitaballevitab Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Toyota
i have a 91 toyota deluxe extra cab 2wd with a 22re motor/it has 211k+it quit running/i've tested fuel pump(70psi)+i cant keep it running longer than 5 seconds/keeps stalling/it started acting up when it got cold(first freeze last winter)every time it warmed up+sun came out was the only time i could get it started/i couldnt understand it then+now i'm really stumped/and i took 3 bolts off the block+i STILL cant get the fuel filter off to check it/what moron decided to put it above the starter under the manifold?HELP-i love my toy+its just sitting

Comments

• paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    On my '93 Toyota is also nearly impossible to access the fuel filter. It has 209K and has been almost 100K since I changed the fiter last time. It sounds like that might be a possible cause of your problem, I'd definitley want to check it out. Have you ever changed the fuel filter before 211K (I would guess probably not)?
  • 89toy4x489toy4x4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 89 toyota 4x4 pickup that just had a engine job. They replace the timing belt, rods, gaskets, etc. Job caused me about 1700. You would think the truck would run brand you right? 2 days later truck, was stalling when i slowed down, something was making a diesel engine type sound at times. before I could bring it back to the repair shop. Truck was losing power, over heats when i had to stop at a toll booth and had some sort of noise in the engine that something was wrong. Anyway i explained everything to the mechanic and when he checked it out, he said i had a problem with my crank shaft. probably got damaged when they replaced the timing belt or when the truck over heated. Out of 1700 bucks and mechanic can only suggest to me to put another engine in the truck. So stress out in NJ. Has anyone encounter this type of problem? Haven't pick up truck yet, not sure if i should be piss off at the mechanic or sue him or what? Any suggestions? HELP!
  • jmeutahjmeutah Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 toyota pick-up 4x4, with a 22 re, 4 cyl. I feel your frustration, at 187k got a leak in the head gasket, caught in enough time to still rebuild. Guy gave an ok deal of $2000, but it took him 5 weeks. Got it back expecting it to run great too. And it did for a weeks, but then it sounded just as rough as it did before. I was told latter by a friend, who worked for a Toyota dealership machanical shop, that toyota engines can not be rebuild as sound as they are when they are built. It has something to do with being aluminum. I have been taking it to the shop for something once a month now it seems. You know what thou, its worth it, I love my Toyota :P . If I can find an engine to replace this one when it really craps out in a few years, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
  • 89toy4x489toy4x4 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my truck last night, had a few words to the mechanic. Looks like i'm in the market for a replacement engine. Thanks for the feed back.
  • rgettmannrgettmann Member Posts: 2
    The truck is a 2.2 SOHC Diesel. It has a 5 speed overdrive transmission. The problem is that it will not go into 5th gear or reverse. I can eventually get into reverse, but never in 5th gear. I have been looking for a rebuilt transmission, but the transmission is worth more than the truck. I think that there might be a adjustment or maybe the bearings are froze up. The rest of the other gears work fine. The truck has 215,000 miles and has never been touched. The transmission is the only problem. Would appreciate some help.
  • cmoen2003cmoen2003 Member Posts: 2
    The only gear I cant get it into is 4th. downshifting can be a hassle- i cant put it in a lower gear unless its ready. It started with it poping out under load, but recently it wont go into gear at all. It has 190k. is it time to replace or is there an adjustment i can make?
    Thanks!
  • juliewestjuliewest Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 deluxe 4x4 - well cared for since the original purchase. Had the timing belt replaced a year and a half ago, along with the timing belt had all other belts replaced. 6 months ago, I'm backing out of a car park and my power steering stopped working. Looked under the hood and the belts to the oil pump and power steering pump had come off. They weren't broken - looked brand new. We put them back on and all was good. But 2 days ago, parked the truck in a car park and when I backed out, my alternator light and brake light(?) came on. Popped the hood and my belts had come off again. I figured the power steering pump or something got torqued and threw the belts. All fluids are good, mechanic said power steering pump wasn't the problem - the first time it happened. What else could it be? Thx!
  • mobimobi Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys\gals,

I have a 94 pickup 2wd with 244,000. This past weekend I installed
    new head gasket due to loosing antifreeze. From what I can tell the
    head is fine, no visible warping or cracks. Pistons, cylinder walls
    also look ok. Before I replaced head gasket it would run fine for
    about 5 minutes then start idleing rough, coughing, sputtering, etc.
    After head gasket replacement it is still doing the same thing.
    Anyone know what this might be? I am going to replace the egr and o2
    sensor, but not sure this will help. I want to get a few more miles
    out of this motor if possible. Trying to save up for a new turbo
    motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mobi
  • tuff289tuff289 Member Posts: 2
    sounds like pulleys are misalined.make sure alt.pulley is straight w/ other pulleys.
    No - do not get a new transmission or anything before checking your shifter bushings!! The shifter seat bushing is a $7. part at the Toyota dealer, and can be replaced by (carefully) taking off the top cover of the transmission without having to remove the transmission from the vehicle.

A test you can do (at your own risk of course) is to lift up slighly on the lever when you shift - if it goes into gear, it's probably that your shifter bushings are worn out. Mine gave out at 170,000 milies and the mechanic replaced the clutch - although that was not necessary. :mad:

Same goes for the transmission popping out of gear under load - check those bushings!! :)

- Paul

'93 Toyota pickup with 22RE and 5-speed - 211,000 miles
  • crazydoccrazydoc Member Posts: 1
    if the head was leaking in to the eng. i would check for a plug catalystic converter if not it try the air flow meter
  • ak_mikeak_mike Member Posts: 1
    hi,

i have a 90 toyota p/u with the v-6. it has 106k on it and i am seeing some decrease in gas milage.

i've never had the o2 sensor changed and have been advised that it might be time. i've looked at the proceedure and it seems simple enough, but, i have read on the web that some folk have had to reset their computer.

does anyone know if changing the 02 sensor involves any more than just bolting in the new one?

thanks for replies!

-mike
  • indyjoeindyjoe Member Posts: 1
    I bought an '81 Trekker 2WD w/R22 engine. The gas lines are all rusted off!
    I need a diagram to recconnect them. There are 3 lines, and if hooked up
    wrong could maybe blow up me and the truck. Can anyone help? Thanks
    in advance, IndyJoe
  • timk54timk54 Member Posts: 3
    My truck has 150.000 miles and is hard starting when it is warm outside. What might be the problem
    Could be anything, but you may want to give it a tune up - check and/or replace the spark plugs, distributor cap, air filter, fuel filter, and clean the battery connections. You may also want to replace the fuel filter (hard job) if it has not ever been done. Good luck!
  • tjstriketjstrike Member Posts: 1
    Get you a chiltons book and change out the shifter seat and bushing :) . Costs about $20.00 :)
  • cmoen2003cmoen2003 Member Posts: 2
    i got the online one. It just has transmission r&r. is the book a better source. seems easy enough.
    Thanks!
  • landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Original owner of '83 2WD 5-speed 2.4L 22R SR5 longbed at 180,000 miles and still going strong!
  • 22re22re Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 Toyota Pick up 2wd I am wanting to buy a set of 04 GTS celica wheels will the fit.I am new to this please help....
  • shubrosshubros Member Posts: 1
    dude you need to go buy a repair manual for your truck. I have a 89 toyota pickup 2wd 2.4L 4 Cly. I have saved about a 1000 dollars doing all the work my self. I have never takin a shop class nor had any type or training. I just did what the book said. Go to ur favorite auto parts store and pick one up for about 20$ it will pay for itself in no time. I turned my old pickup into a hot rod. I went from 0-60 in 20s to 0-60 in 11s. I can get up to 80mph in 20s. I changed my fuel filter a couple months ago and it was not that hard. Just read the book and it will tell you to go at it from the bottom. take out the starter motor and you will have easy access to it from below do not try to get at it from the top you never will be able to get it out. So go out and buy the repair manual and buy a new fuel filter for about 15$.
  • joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Hi,
    I have a friend trying to locate his fuel filter on a 88 toyota 4x4.
    Would the fuel filter be in the same location as yours? And by manifold, do you mean exhaust manifold?
    Thanks for any info...............Ken
  • coryeecoryee Member Posts: 1
    my truck has a v6 and it will not run. it has gas to the injetors. but it will not run. u can shot some starter fluid in the intake then it will run tell it is out of it. there is gas to the fuel rails need help with this
  • austin22reaustin22re Member Posts: 1
    hi, my name is austin, and i have a toyota pickup, have you checked your efi fuses in your fuse boxes on the left side of your truck, cause if one's blown, the efi will not function but the fuel will still be there, the efi is what distributes the fuel to the cylinders, my guess is a fuse, cause we know its firing, see if this helps
  • curious8curious8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2x4 turbo diesel pickup, I have had almost every single part on this truck replaced and it runs like a top. My problem is it didn't pass its emission test (never needed to before). It is fine at 60 and 50 miles an hour, but not at 40MPH. I have been told that there is a way to adjust the fuel pump to lean it out. Is this possible and can someone suggest that or anything else as a solution?
  • bufhunterbufhunter Member Posts: 1
    1987 toyota pickup 4x4 with 22r engine. Everything was working fine. Without any warning the transmission got stuck in fourth gear. When I push the clutch the transmission disengages but I can not budge the shift lever no matter how hard it try. Can someone tell be what the problem might be and the approximate repair cost? Thanks
  • 86_4xkid86_4xkid Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem(in my 86 4x4) except it does it in all gears. If you find any information please let me know. Ive talked to toyota and they say that the $6 bushing that is on the end of the shifter(that fits into the trans) may have worn down and no longer pushes the forks enough to engage the gears. Again please let me know if you come up with anything.
  • harrybulldogharrybulldog Member Posts: 5
    4 cyl. 22RE. Engine has 125k on it and idles rough. Replaces all plugs and wires, pcv and air filter. I CAN'T FIND THE FUEL FILTER! I have been up and down the frame from the tank to the engine. It doesn't tell me in my Haynes manual, other than, "Engine" where it is located. This truck was wrecked before I purchased it 5 yrs ago and now I am thinking that they bypassed the Fuel Filter and ran the gas line straight to the engine. My questions are:

1. Where should it be located?
    2. Can you run it without the filter?
    3. If it doesn't have one, should I install a new one?
    4. If I replace and the idle is still rough, would my next area of investigation be the exhaust(cat converter)?

Thanks,

Jay Johnson
    GA
  • obiedanobiedan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1982 Toyota 22R 4 cylinder pickup. It has been sitting for a year and it was running "ok" when I parked it. The vehicle only has 153,000 miles on it. I just went out the other day to try and start it and it would not even turn over. All that would happen when you turned the key was just a click noise. None of the lights on the dash would come on or anything. The battery is good, the battery cables are good. I put a new starter on it and it did the same thing. If I turn my hazard lights on inside the arrow lights will flash on the dash and also the windshield wipers work and the washer fluid motor...So i know there is some power running through it, but those are the only things getting power...
    Please give me some tips on how to make it turn over!!! thanks
  • mandevilmandevil Member Posts: 1
    Do you still have this problem? If so your starter might be overheating. Common fault for toyotas that old. I have a 91 4X4 and had that problem. I bought a early 80's starter solenoid for a Ford Mustang. Mounted it on the firewall and ran a wire from the battery to the new solenoid then from the solenoid to the old starter. Hooked up the negative cable to the new starter solenoid. Everything is A OK.
    The starter is mounted to close to the engine and overheats. You can fabricate a makeshift heat shield or try the above. Either one should solve the problem.

My problem is that the truck wouldn't want to start after being run for a while in the hot or cold weather or if it's sitting in direct sunlight (High Temp days). But the 1st procedure fixed it 100%
  • tedesco455tedesco455 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the timing chain on the 22r engine and I can not get it to start, it turns over fine and I have spark and I have put a small amount of gas in the carb. when I installed the chain I had the marks on the CAM and Crank at 12 o'clock, I took out #1 spark plug and made sure #1 Piston was at TDC and I could see that both valves were closed, when I installed the the distributor I made sure the rotor was pointed towards #1, Any thoughts?
  • azredlinerazredliner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1894 Toyota XTRA Cab 4X4 with a 22R. It runs beautiful except at idle. It has an excessive amount of valve train noise. I did a compression test and it resulted: #1 = 165, #2 = 165, #3 = 140, #4 = 150. Those are dry test results. When I stick the timing light to it, the timing mark bounces back and forth about 3 degrees. Cold it be that the chain was not installed correctly? It's a newer rebuild. Less than 50,000 miles.
  • azredlinerazredliner Member Posts: 2
    There's more to a Toyota timing set than just aligning some timing marks. The chain has to be positioned a certain way too.
  • fuller1167fuller1167 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1990 toyoto pickup truck 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive and over 100,000 miles. We have replaced the starter ,the starter coil, and the battery. It still wont turn over to start. Sometimes it will make a little clicking noise but usually nothing. However we can pop the clutch and it will go just fine. What else can we replace? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
  • neonwaterneonwater Member Posts: 4
    The fuel filter is mounted just under the intake manifold toward the back of the engine. It's hidden by the intake and injector for cylinder four. It is black and mounted horizontal to the ground. You'll need a flashlight to see it. A new filter cost around $35 at the dealer.
  • damn_filterdamn_filter Member Posts: 1
    I have traced the line all over the place (theres 2 lines comming out of the tank) but can 't located the stinking filter. The replacement i bought is this little white thing. Anybody know where it is located?
  • jasko22rejasko22re Member Posts: 1
    i was driving downt the road my truck was running perfect like always and then it just shut off and will not start. the fuel pump is running and everything seems to be fine i just cant figure out what is wrong. i took it to a shop and they told me it was the Mass Air Filter so i replaced it but nothing. If i open the MAF with my hand the truck will stay running but as soon as i let go it shuts down. can anyone help me.
  • jellopuddinjellopuddin Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone knew if it is possible to replace my 94 Toyota Pickup 22R 4-Cyl engine with any kind of V6 engine. I'd just like a bit more power but I enjoy and love my truck too much to change right now. Is it possible or even worth it? If so, anyone know a rough estimate of what that would cost? THANKS
  • domino3domino3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 Toyota Pickup/4 X 4, 22RE engine. Had to have a remanufactured motor put in (plus install clutch) - timing chain broke along with the 4th piston. Now, periodically having antifreeze leaking. Drove 30 miles out of town then engine light coming on. Took back to mechanic and they told me the oxygen senson plug was not put in all the way. Does anyone have any answers? Thanx!
  • surferclarkesurferclarke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 86 22re 4x4 custom cab pickup. I can't find my fuel filter either. It's not In front of the right rear wheel on the frame like I've heard people say I'm becoming suspicous that there is no fuel filter at all.
  • woodwardwoodward Member Posts: 1
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 90' toyota pickup with the 22R (2.4L 4-cyl) engine that I've had for 13 years now. I'd like to get more power out of it but I don't know how. I've looked into rebuilt V6's for the toyota but I only have 125k on the engine in it now with no problems so it almost seems wrong to retire such a good engine so early. Have you found any ways to get more power out of your engine?
  • dakotadondakotadon Member Posts: 1
    hey all, i am working on a 89 toy pickup 4 cly EFI, no fuel, checked fuses ok, checked efi relay, it checked ok according to manual, can hear it click, check power at fuel pump, no light came on the test light.... ok so im looking at the circt opening relay.. have power to it, cant hear it click, so i checked the ohms reading ..

sta term to E1 term ok 20 to 40 ohms
    +b to Fc term ok 88 to 132 ohms
    +b to Fp term book says (infinity), and i have no readings there at all.. is the last reading ok with no ohms readings, or should it be peging my meter? what else would no cause the fuel pump not to come on..

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    if i spray carb cleaner in the TB it will run.. but the pump womt run, id hate to replace pump if thats not the problem..
  • budwardo1budwardo1 Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know how to get my rotors off my 86 4x4. I have the caliper off,the 6 nuts on the outer hub,the 6 nuts on the inner hub. There does'nt seem to be anything else holding it on.I hope someone does'nt tel me I have to go get a puller of some sort.Anyway,help.
  • photodrewphotodrew Member Posts: 1
    My 1985 Toyota 22RE Pickup Truck runs great, however everytime I want to call for aditional battery power it sputters in and out. It drives just fine and it dosn't sound weird until I use the windshild wipers or the headlights or any aditional power? I replaced the alternator with a brand new working one and then replace the battery with a new battery because it seems to be electrical in nature but that didn't change anything I think it has something to do with the computer or the voltage regulator. Can anybody shead some light on the problem.

I am totaly in the dark i think i tryed everything. :confuse:
  • pdomenpdomen Member Posts: 2
    budwardo1,

Here's an answer to your question, there are cone-shaped washers on the bolts for the inner hub. You need to thread the nuts back on to the bolts partially and with a hammer you need to tap on the hub where the bolts are and the washer will pop out. I hope this will help you!!
    -pdomen
  • pdomenpdomen Member Posts: 2
    Aloha, Mobi

Most times warping is not visual to the human eye. We are talking about thousandths here. You need a feeler guage and a straight edge in order to know. I recommend takeing the head to a machine shop so they can check for warpedge and resurface the head if need be. Maybe even do a complete head job.

pdomen
  • djc4djc4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem when it rain, my truck will star and run well then wen I start driving, all of a soden it will stall on me, when I try to start it, it starts but dosent continue running, but as soon as it stop raining I will start it as if nothing has happen and it run find. I did a compleet tune up on the engine and nothing has change. Did any one have a similar problem before. would appriciate feed back
  • jmiller4jmiller4 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my son a 92 Toyota pickup 2wd 22r, and it runs great except that the fuel flows back throught the purge filter and out the overflow. I can not fugure out why this happening. Need help.
  • rbetherbethe Member Posts: 1
    i to have same problem .please let me know what you found out .or if i get it fixed ill let you know.
    pdomen was right so was mudrunner88.Can anyone tellme how to locate someone specific in tese forums? I'd like to thank a few people.
    ( I suppose I should look at my spelling BEFORE I send post.Duh.) :blush:
This discussion has been closed.