Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL vs. Infiniti M35

Comments

• robin_robin_ Member Posts: 11
    Comparing the Acura RL and the Infiniti M35, here are two questions I've wondered about, but have not seen discussed....

1. The key... I believe on the RL, if the battery in your key pod dies, there is a way to start the car with the manual key. I believe this is NOT true on the M35. Is this correct? If so, is there any way to drive an Infiniti M if your key pod battery dies?

2. Climate Control... You would think that the climate control system on any luxury car would keep the occupants fairly comfortable with little effort. However the system on my wife's new Infiniti FX is terrible - always seeming to be too hot or too cold and always requiring a continual tweaking of the adjustments. I wonder if this is also true on the Infiniti M35, and how it compares with the RL in this regard?
  • docnukemdocnukem Member Posts: 485
    I don't know about the climate control in the RL. The M is very nice. The Auto setting works very well.

You can start the car if the fob goes dead in the M. There is a metal key inside the fob to open the doors; the fob can then be inserted into a slot to the left of the wheel to start the car. The key/fob combo is also used for valet service. You keep the metal part of the key after locking the glove box and the trunk pass-through with it (I am not sure if there is another step you need to take to prevent the fob from opening the trunk, although I know the trunk can be set to only open with both the key and fob).
  • bw45sportbw45sport Member Posts: 151
    Climate Control

I would agree with Doc about the effectiveness of the climate control system in the M. In fact, I prefer it to any that I've had in a Benz, BMW, or Lexus. The air conditioning easily handles the summer heat and the heater is strong too.
  • arizonaheatarizonaheat Member Posts: 8
    My current lease expires in 30 days (German sports car). No interest in keeping. During my extensive research on the web I discovered this Edmunds site. I too have narrowed the field down to the RL and the M35 (w journey/tech pkg). No interest in another lease. Acura appears to be very hungry and willing to move significantly on the price which is enticing. Infiniti dealers are flexible but ultimately it looks like about a $5K difference at the end of the day. Drove both. M exterior looks "nicer", but the Acura dealer near my home has phenomenal service (we own an 03 MDX as well). I've been flip/flopping for a couple of weeks. Plan to make a final decision by end of September. Thanks for all of the opinions on this topic.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Maybe it's just grown on me, but I find the styling of the RL far preferable to the M35. But it's all a matter of taste. I've no regrets, bought the RL a month ago, and would do it all over again . . . even if it cost me $5K more than I paid. It's that great a car. Good luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

At the last minute I decided to purchase rather than lease. I'm curious, why did you decide not to lease?
    The decision to purchase is based on reaching a point in life where I simply don't want to make monthly payments any longer. We paid off the Acura MDX in the first year. The intent is to pay off the new purchase within 12-18 months. The older I get the more obsessed I become with eliminating debt. Additionally, I've never enjoyed the turn in process and wondering if they'll "ding" me for a few scratches here and there as excess wear and tear. Although I've never been dinged....maybe I'm worrying about nothing.
    Bottom line....I don't want a monthly payment long term.
  • robin_robin_ Member Posts: 11
    First thanks to those who answered my questions re climate control and Key Fob battery. I picked up my new M35 today, and read it in the "Quick Reference Guide".

Re RL vs. M35... I could have gone either way. Both fine cars that are fun to drive. I ultimately decided on the Infiniti because I am both big and tall, and I just fit better in it. A "skosh" more room in the front and lots more room in the back with the M35. Also I liked the radar cruise control feature.

Re Buy vs. Lease, I was all set to lease and changed my mind at the last minute. An interest rate of 4.9% from USAA helped in the decision. I'll probably sell the car at 36-40 months, but I had a little extra money to put down, which reduced the payments, and while I like putting money down on a purchased car, it makes no sense (at least to me) to pay down capital on a lease - especially not in PA, with a 9% lease tax. Also, in 36-40 months, on a 60 month loan, I'll have much more equity in the car than I would with the lease. That means I won't have to pay so much for my next "high-tech" car. :P
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Equity in a Car?
    Thats a good one.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    Both the RL and M35x are wonderful cars. I like the looks of both inside and out. Both do the toys well. Both are smooth. Both handle with finesse. I think the #1 difference between them is how they drive. The M is torquey. You hear and feel the engine when you start moving. The RPMs run high. The RL is more of a quiet cruiser. The styling is more subdued.

So if you lean towards BMW, you'll like the M. If you lean towards Lexus, you'll like the RL more.
    I just cant get pass the tail lights, I think evertthing else works okay, but the tail lights are what you woul call overkill.

In any event, it's on my short list for next summers new vehicle purchase.
    I am hoping by then;Infiniti would do the car justice and introduce a more appealing rear end.
  • howardk111howardk111 Member Posts: 17
    I just posted virtually the same question and now see that you did, as well. We'd both like to know the answer.
  • philbakerphilbaker Member Posts: 12
    I've been testing both the RL and M35 as a reveiwer for a newspaper. The M35 tried to route me to my home in a roundabout way using a non-existent street. Never had that problem with the RL, Prius, or stand alone GPS systems. Live in an older area with no roads constructed in years. While this could happen with any car, I'd hate to have to live with a car for years and living with that error. I suppose this could happen with any car, but I would suggest to try any the before you buy.
  • worldskiworldski Member Posts: 14
    With all due respect you are wrong with regards to the M navigation system.
    It defaults to route you using the fastest available route however bear in mind navigation systems can be as old as 3-5 years old at the time they are placed in the new models. In the M you have other route priority options such as avoiding freeways as well as the shortest possible route. It is hard to go wrong with the M
    Be sure the DVD is the correct version. Infiniti has at least two different NAV systems (pre 2006 models and later). Each system has at least two versions.

My NAV on my M has always been dead on except for about 1 mile where there was no GPS signal (it showed me on the map as being in a field about one block from the street I was on--and that was when I wasn't using NAV for a destination).

The only problems arise when you are outside of an urban/suburban area. It will sometimes mark your destination, but it won't give voice prompts.

It appears from your posts that you are an RL owner. Be sure you spend as much time learning the M's NAV system, because I have heard no similar complaints to yours.

Most say the two systems are equivalent with different strengths.
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Folks,

On the M45/35 discussions, there are quite a few people barking about the mpg's they are getting on their 35's. Can we have some real avgs from those of you that have both the RL & the M35/35x/45???

thx.

Ace
    I doubt you'll find many with both cars. I get about 16 in mostly city driving in the M35x.
  • acenjacenj Member Posts: 58
    Sorry - brainfart on my part! wasn't looking for someone with both cars...just individuals who owned one of the cars in question!

thx for your response/info!

Ace
  • philbakerphilbaker Member Posts: 12
    With all due respect it's not a question of right or wrong. The GPS, set to the most direct route, took a longer route by way of a street that does not exist. It was a press car from Infiniti. Did I check that it had the latest CD? No. As I said it's likely a flaw in the database that probably occurs with all databases. This one just happened to be the route to my home. So maybe the data was 3-5 years old, as you suggest, but it was also wrong.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    As I said it's likely a flaw in the database that probably occurs with all databases.

I can attest to there being flaws. When I had my last RL, with navi, I was driving and remembered there was a shortcut to the major street I was looking for. I looked at my map and saw a street that went over to the other street, so I turned. After several blocks the street ended at a park that had obviously been there for years, but my navi showed the street going straight through. I wrote to Navteq which provides the maps for Acura. They acknowledged the error and promised to correct it.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I like both the M35 and the Acura RL, but I decided on the M35 Sport (Ivory Pearl with Stone interior; Journey, Nav, & Full Size Spare). Bought it from Prebul Infiniti of Chattanooga TN on Saturday, 8 Oct 05. Very pleased with the experience at this dealership - very happy with the salesman. (If you want the name of the salesman I used, e-mail me.)

I felt I would be happy with either car...but the deciding factor was that IMO the M35 looked sportier, and that is what I wanted at this time.
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    M35x w 2K miles, using regular fuel, driving with a "feather" foot and max 40 mph speed, local (city) driving - 17.5 mpg (average over 3 tankfuls).
  • zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    As I said it's likely a flaw in the database that probably occurs with all databases.......
    I wrote to Navteq which provides the maps for Acura. They acknowledged the error and promised to correct it.

Now we are getting to the heart of the issue! In the long run, each NAV system will only be as good as the map provider's diligence in keeping their map information current.

I have asked that question of my Inifiniti dealer. i.e., the expected update frequency & subscription process to obtain future NAV DVD updates for my M35x. I have yet to get a definitive answer. It seems to me, the update interval and procurement process have the potential to be a significant differentiator among the different NAV systems going forward.
    I get 16-17 on my M35x. My partner at work has the new RL and he's getting 18-19. Definitely an RL advantage.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Under "normal" driving, there really is not a lot of difference among FWD, RWD, and AWD cars. The differences only show on track, where you push the limit of a car, due to how the weight of the car is being transferred. As matter of fact FWD cars is sufficient for all kinds of weather for most of people, and that is why Honda only has S2000 as only RWD car and RL as the only AWD in the lineup. :cry:

I like to say, "It is the drivers that make the difference, not the cars." ;)

For casual drivers who will only be a race car driver for 10 minutes on a back road, I would choose RWD cars. However, if you are a very skilful driver, then AWD cars is your car. If you worry about the weather and you are a typical driver, then buy a FWD car.
    As matter of fact FWD cars is sufficient for all kinds of weather for most of people, and that is why Honda only has S2000 as only RWD car and RL as the only AWD in the lineup.

I like to say, "It is the drivers that make the difference, not the cars."

For the most part, you're probably correct. However, I still disagree overall. When I had my 99 RL, on two occasions at freeway speeds, the front end skidded slightly on wet curves, enough to scare me. Then a couple of months before I bought my 05 RL, I was on an on ramp in heavy rain, going about 25 mph. I completely lost control and did a 180. I don't believe any of those three problems would have happened with an RWD or the SH-AWD on my 05 RL.
    I think your problem was tires with the FWD RL.

I don,t see how the RL could possible do a 180 going 25 mph in the rain.

The tires must have been completely bald.
    I don,t see how the RL could possible do a 180 going 25 mph in the rain. The tires must have been completely bald.

I don't know how it happened, either, but it did happen (it was a torrential downpour). The policeman who came upon the accident accused me of speeding. However, I pointed out to him had I been speeding, I wouldn't have made it that far - the turn onto the on ramp from the street was far sharper than the curve of the on ramp and I would have spun out upon entrance had I been speeding. The tires had less than 5,000 miles on them at the time, so they were certainly not bald, or even worn very much.
    Three tanks on my M35 and I have been getting 18.5 to 19.5 on all three. This of course is a mix of city streets and freeways.
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I think you experienced hydroplane, meaning tires are riding on water instead of road. So, you have no traction. If there is no traction, then, it really does not matter what kind of car you drive. The outcome is the same. Somehow, I don't think neither AWD nor RWD car would make much difference in your particular situation.

Glad you lived to tell the story ;)

P.s. I somehow think some of the accidents happened due to the belief that AWD cars have "much better handling" than other cars in bad weathers.
    I think you experienced hydroplane, meaning tires are riding on water instead of road. So, you have no traction. If there is no traction, then, it really does not matter what kind of car you drive. The outcome is the same. Somehow, I don't think neither AWD nor RWD car would make much difference in your particular situation.

Glad you lived to tell the story

P.s. I somehow think some of the accidents happened due to the belief that AWD cars have "much better handling" than other cars in bad weathers.

I'm sure you're right about hydroplaning - that was my thought too. It's also possible that AWD or RWD wouldn't have made a difference; however, I believe FWD added to the problem.

Yes, I'm sure people have accidents with AWD because they believe they're somehow invincible to bad driving conditions. It's like the suvidiots who drive fast on icy roads in their 4-wheel drive SUVs thinking they're protected by virtue of 4-wheel drive. Whether you're in a vehicle with FWD, AWD, or RWD, all have their virtues and weaknesses, and none should be taken for granted.
    Having driven FWD, RWD, and AWD cars in bad weather, I can attest to the fact that AWD cars do indeed have much better handling. Splitting torque to four wheels will reduce the chance of losing traction under acceleration.

While FWD cars do have an advantage over RWD cars in bad conditions (I have never fishtailed simply from accelerating in an FWD), the exception is going uphill in icy conditions. Some FWD cars actually have to choose another route or back up the hill.

If I were to live in a dry climate without much rain, snow, ice, or sleet (like southern CA ;) ), I would agree that FWD cars would suffice for most people. I would take oversteer from a RWD car anyday over the understeer of FWD, though.
  • carchallenged2carchallenged2 Member Posts: 7
    OK, i am a tad confused. I am one of those that is still torn between the RL and M35x..i test drove the RL and really like it. I really like the Navigation on it and have only read about the Nav on the M35x. on CNET, it shows the following for the M35x

http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Infiniti_M35x/4507-10865_7-31352784.html?tag=tab

Navigation
    GPS Navigation system - CD ROM data Not available
    GPS Navigation system - DVD data Not available
    Trip computer Not available
    Live traffic data Standard
    Touchscreen navigation Not available
    Voice activated navigation Standard
    DVD navigation system (non-GPS) Standard

What is Non GPS Navigation..and does the M35x have Live traffic Data? and i thought the M35x had a touch screen display. Are they just wrong?
    The only real negatives i have with the RL is the no "cooling" seats, love that with the Navigator and no DVD-Video
    On the M35x does it have Park assist or is that the camera? And does anyone have any experience with the Park Assist addon for the RL?
    The only downsides for me on the M35x is the Real time traffic..but is that a deal breaker? I dont know yet.
    And does anyone have any experience with the Park Assist addon for the RL?

Yes, I added the Park Assist on my RL. It's great. I have to parallel park frequently and it allows me to get in fairly tight spaces without playing bumper cars. Also, my office parking garage is awful, with lots of columns and corners. It's very helpful there.
    The M does use GPS. You can see which satellites are closest and which are being used.

It does not have a touch screen. I consider this a plus as you don't end up with marks on the screen that have to be frequently cleaned (it does get dusty, though).

The back-up camera is great.

Real-time traffic is only useful in a few cities in the U.S. If you are not in one of those cities, it is useless. I believe there is an extra $3 charge per month for that XM service.
  • carchallenged2carchallenged2 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your answers, i was confusing the touch screen with the Lexus IS350.

Does anyone know when the RL 2006 is coming out?
  • ocriceocrice Member Posts: 1
    Since I had used these forums heavily when trying to decide between the RL and the M35x, I thought I'd return the favor with my thoughts on my search and eventual purchase. I have been a Honda/Acura customer for years and loved their combination of technology and reliability. I looked forward to getting an RL as I got towards the end of my 2002 TL lease.

On the plus side, I liked the quality of the interior and the standard equipment list.
    On the minus-side, when I test-drove the RL, I was surprised about how much searching I had to do to figure out fairly basic functions on the center panel- audio and other functions alike. I also had difficulty with the b-pillar which was somehow always in the way when I turned to the left to look at traffic on that side. The lack of a rear-view camera or sensors really bothered me, as I had gotten to love them in our Honda Odyssey Touring - they make parking so much easier. I was struck by the 'soft' feel of the gas pedal and brake. I could clearly get the car to accelerate pretty well if I needed to, but it required a heavier foot than I was used to, and that made merging into traffic less pleasant that it should have been. The same applied to the brake feel. I love the Honda/Acura Nav system, but was somewhat irritated at the lack of a touch-screen and the hassle that added to using the system. I do not use the voice activation more than 10-20% of the time.

I tried the M35x fairly reluctantly, as I was put off by the additional cost to configure it similarly to the RL. My first impressions were that the interior did not 'wow' me as much as the RL (but I have gotten to like it a lot now), but that the gas and brake pedal feel were great in comparison! It has much more accessible acceleration and stopping power than the RL - by an order of magnitude.

The Navigation system looks better (with Infiniti's Bird-View) but I find that I still can get more out of the Honda system- there are more ways of inputting data, in more logical sequences, and you have access to a lot of usable functions while the car is in motion, that Infiniti does not let you do. One thing I miss a lot is Honda/Acura's ability to look forward at facilities available at exits along a route that you have. It was great for planning rest stops or hotels during long drives. Overall, I think Honda are still the leader with these systems, but the Infiniti version is not bad by any means. One warning- a source of major aggravation for me on the Infiniti is the cut-off with titles with the XM radio display, so that I cannot see full names or titles. It drives me nuts!

The back-up camera beats Honda’s system easily. I wish I had sensors as well, but do not miss them terribly. It would have always been a source of annoyance in the RL, even if I paid $600-1200 to install them. I'm told the bluetooth setup in the M35 is slicker, but I cannot vouch for that since I did not try it in the RL. The lane departure warning system is neither here nor there for me, but I like the laser cruise control. There is definitely more engine noise in the M35x, but it is a pleasant growl only when I accelerate. At cruising speeds, it is a very quiet cabin. The premium audio system is great, but so is the RL's. Another downside was I opted for a full-size spare, not realizing that it takes 3 cu ft away- the trunk is definitely smaller than I'd like.

Overall, I love the much sportier drive, the backup camera and the interior room in particular, and have been very happy so far with the M35x.
  • harrybush00harrybush00 Member Posts: 76
    That was a pretty good assessment of both car's electronics features.

As far as this comparison goes, I think both cars are very good all-around, but do certain things better than one another. In the end, it is a matter of preferring sportiness of the M or the quiet, luxuriousness of the RL. If I had to pick, I would say I'd go with the RL because it is still a pretty good handling car with good power, but it is seling for around $40K these days (as opposed to another 4-5K more for an M).
  • ak99ak99 Member Posts: 5
    Here, here - I've test driven the M(35X) and pretty much love it. Unfortunately, I ended up driving behind one in Cincinnati and was put off by the lights when looking at the vehicle dead on. The 05 RL has a better looking rear. Just wish they would stretch it a bit more.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    As far as this comparison goes, I think both cars are very good all-around, but do certain things better than one another. In the end, it is a matter of preferring sportiness of the M or the quiet, luxuriousness of the RL.

Purely subjective. I find the M35 to be more luxurious and just as quiet (as ocrice did as well) as the RL. :shades:
    I've test driven the M(35X) and pretty much love it. Unfortunately, I ended up driving behind one in Cincinnati and was put off by the lights when looking at the vehicle dead on. The 05 RL has a better looking rear.

In spite of the superior rear-view camera in the M, I have yet to be able to see my car's rear end as I drive down the street. :surprise: I sit and drive on the inside and consider any car's exterior to be subordinate to its interior. Overall I find the M with Full Aero Kit to look better than the RL; hgowever I do agree that the M's tail lights are its weakness :blush:
  • 18pctgray18pctgray Member Posts: 6
    Edmunds compared the M35x versus the RL as part of a five part test and said, "With its aggressive gearing and big tires, the M35x has noticeable engine and road noise on the highway. The firm suspension passes on the bumps more sharply than the others, too. None of it makes the Infiniti uncomfortable over long distances, it's just not going to lull you to sleep like the Acura."
    Edmunds compared the M35x versus the RL as part of a five part test and said ...

Yep Edmunds has their OPINION, and so does Car&Driver, and so does Motor Trend, and so does CR, and so ...

I however was giving you my opinion :shades: You see I have been on numerous extended test drives in more than one of each and I know how quiet each one is on roads in my area :)
  • 18pctgray18pctgray Member Posts: 6
    Well, you know what they say about opinions... :blush:

Here's fact instead of opinion:

Here's the interior noise level of the M35 compares the the RL per Autoweek magazine.

INTERIOR NOISE (dBA) M35 RL

Idle: 44 40
    Max first gear: 75 70
    Steady 60 mph: 65 63

Perhaps one of the engineers on this site can explain the logarithmic significance of dBA measurements.
    Here's fact instead of opinion:

The only FACT that matters is the one bewteen my ears :) :shades:
    Unless of course you are buying ;)

Here is a FACT that cannot be denied. I test drove two RLs and two M35s - they were exactly the same to me in terms of interior noise level. If someone else is paying then their perceptions carry weight. :blush: Otherwise :sick:
    I'm not an engineer (nor do I play one on TV...nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but in a nutshell:

Every 3 decibels is a doubling of sound, every 10 is a ten-fold increase....However (there is always a, "however"), every 10 decibel increase is roughly a subjective doubling of sound.
    db is logarithmic. You can definitely tell a 2-3db difference. I've been in both cars too and the RL is always quieter. I really appreciated getting these numbers. It does confirm the exhaust "music" the M allows into the cabin, but when upon reaching cruising speed it's pretty close. The RL though is quieter.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    Most of the comparisons between the M35 & RL are on the money. While I like the M35's agressive exterior better then the RL's, the RL's interior (ergonomically) fits me like a glove. I also feel the nav system is better on the RL as is its stealth-like conservative appearance (hence why in the past I've owned a Buick Regal GS -something about driving a near luxury car with performance and amenities appeals to me). Both the M35 & RL have similar features and it all comes to personal preference, value....and price.

I just purchased an RL. For what I paid ($42K w/ 18" chrome rims), the value far surpasses an equally equipped M35. If purchase price for both vehicles were comparable, the decision to choose would have been extremely difficult.
    Most of the comparisons between the M35 & RL are on the money. While I like the M35's agressive exterior better then the RL's, the RL's interior (ergonomically) fits me like a glove.

Congrats and good luck. I agree that interior is more important than the exterior as a deciding factor.
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    Trying to resolve between RL, GS300 and M35 and one determining fact may be the back seat.

Must take daughter and husband and a tall person will not fit in the back of the RL. It is really tight back there.

Could put him always in front but that is what it would take.

M has better clearance.

Other stuff seems about equal. Love that M demo disc for the surround sound. Might buy the radio and get the car as option.
  • jeff721jeff721 Member Posts: 80
    I have 9,000 plus miles on my M35X and I drive for pleasure without any thought of saving fuel. I am averaging 16.9 MPG and do a 60/40 split between Highway and city driving.

I have not reset the milage calucation in about 6000 miles so it is a true long term average.

I wish the fuel tank was a little larger to increase my range. was used to getting 300 plus miles per tank in the Saab I drove prior.
This discussion has been closed.