Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
edited September 2014 in Lexus
Share your shopping and buying experiences here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host
Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi everyone. Please use the following discussion to post any questions that you have about leasing a Lexus SC 430. Thanks.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • jack46jack46 Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking of buying a used 02/03. To get the best deal should I wait until Sept/Oct.? Does anyone know if the 07 model will be redesigned?? Thanks...
  • gokadengokaden Member Posts: 28
    Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2002 or 2003 CPO sc 430, and the KBB trade-in and retail values for this vehicle differs about $10K.

Therefore, should I expect to pay toward the high or low end of this range for this particular vehicle? I think this is heavily based on the popularity of the vehicle.

Any thoughts would help.
  • bsedrishbsedrish Member Posts: 26
    Just started looking into the SC. What are people seeing on lease rates for 15k miles, no money down, and no more than a 36 month lease?

What is typical for:

1. MF
    2. residual percentage
    3. percentage off of MSRP
    Here's the info that you are looking for, bsedrish. If you were to lease a 2006 Lexus SC 430 through Lexus Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00255 and 52%, respectively. This is LFS' standard lease money factor for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. I believe that it varies slightly depending upon what part of the country one is in. I'm not personally all that familiar with how much this car is selling for right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forums
  • apexncapexnc Member Posts: 3
    The best time to buy an SC430 is dead of winter. If you live in the south, then the summer is also good, i.e. it is no fun to drive with the top down when it's 95 degrees. Spring and fall are the worst times to buy.
  • scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    I am looking at getting an 03 SC430. I can get a CP from a Lexus dealer for $45K with 17K miles or an 03 for $35K with 55K miles from a non Lexus dealer. This car is scheduled to be inspected by a Lexus dealer. The car looks excellent. Any thoughts on which is the better buy?
  • scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    Do you feel there is a major benefit here in New England in waiting to buy a used 2003 SC430 early next year rather than now due to the additional depreciation?
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Car_man, Howdy,

Most of the 2003 SC430's sell for $35.0m to $41.0m.
    I am considering a lease which would be for 36 months with
    12.0m miles per year.

Could you give me the Tier 1+ Buy Rate and Residual for this
    car from LFS?

When you get the opportunity, I would as always appreciate
    your info. Take care. Addi.
    Howdy addi. Unfortunately, I do not personally keep tabs on the lease programs for used vehicles. The main reasons why I don't is that leases of used vehicles are much less popular than they are on new vehicles and the lease programs for used vehicles have even more variables than new vehicle lease programs so there is more data to keep an eye on. Sorry that I could not be of more help.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • addiaddi Member Posts: 33
    Car_man (Host) Hello again.

Thanks for getting back to me concerning the above. If I decide not to go with a used SC430, I will come back to you for further lease information.

As always, I appreciate your efforts and information.

Addi.
    No problem, Addi. Talk to you soon.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • dallexusdallexus Member Posts: 1
    I am considering leasing. I have looked at a Lexus 1pay lease. Can you advise me on the pros/cons of this and approx what the 1pay should be on 36 months?
  • howard17howard17 Member Posts: 1
    The first quote we received for an 2007 SC 430 was $61,800, approx $5,000 off sticker price. The lease quote was for $1,022, 15k miles and residual of $36,964. A second dealer told us before we even ask for a price that they were starting $4,000 below sticker.This is lower than what Edmunds and Kellys are quoting as true market value for the car. Any thoughts on why they seem so interested in dealing on this model?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My experience is that it is almost always possible to buy any new car at a price below kbb and edmunds numbers.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I see where SC430 sales in December down 39% from a year ago. (Well, this is better than SL sales, which are down 50% from a year ago.) I think this explains why dealers are anxious to deal on them. They probably have a factory incentive on them.
    Hi dallexus. Even though they are getting all of the money for your lease in advance, banks that offer One Pay leases, aka Advance Pay leases, still charge interest. They do usually provide a reduction in the interest rate that is used to calculate the cost of the lease though. Specifically, Lexus Financial Services reduces vehicles' money factors by .00100 for consumers who pay for their entire lease in advance. Unfortunately, Lexus is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the 2007 SC 430 right now. If you were to lease one through Lexus Financial Services, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its buy rate standard lease money factor varies slightly by region, but it should currently be around .00275 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. If you pay for your entire lease in advance, this factor would drop to .00175. I would be happy to estimate what the cost of a One Pay lease on this car would cost right now, but in order for me to do so I need some additional information from you first. This information includes this car's full MSRP, its approximate selling price, and how many miles per year you need to be able to drive it. Let me know and I'll crunch some numbers for you.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • glhglh Member Posts: 3
    Where is this? I'm having trouble finding one. Does anybody know if they will discount if you order?
  • glhglh Member Posts: 3
    I am looking into buying/leasing a 2007 SC430. The MSRP would be $67,735. I would do a 36 month, 12k miles lease. In order to get the car I want they will probably have to order it. Will that impact the pricing?

How can I calculate the advantage of leasing over buying?
    Thanks!!
    Hi glh. While technically there is no additional charge for ordering a new vehicle, dealers are usually more willing to provide attractive prices on vehicles that they already have in inventory than on ordered ones. There are two main reasons for this. The first is that dealers are constantly paying "floorplan" interest on the vehicles that they have in stock. The sooner they sell them, the sooner they can stop paying interest on them. The second reason is the old saying "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush." A lot can happen to ruin a deal between the time that a consumer orders it and they physically take delivery of it. Dealers would rather finalize deals immediately than rusk losing a deal.

Lexus is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the SC 430. As a result, if you were to lease one through Lexus Financial Services right now you would have to use its standard lease program. Its buy rate standard lease money factor usually varies slightly by region, but it should be around .00275 for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier. This is equivalent to an interest rate of around 6.6%. Furthermore, LFS' residual values for the '07 SC 430 are decent, but nothing to write home about. There's nothing wrong with leasing this car, but the program that is available on it right now is not attractive enough to push one in that direction.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    I was interested in 2005 430. The car had low milage. The dealer wanted $48,900 for the vehicle. I asked the dealer to drop the certified warranty price. We can start talking at $46,000. The dealer stated you must buy the car with the certified warranty. I asked why? The vehicle still has over 2 years of the factory warranty and vehicle only has 7,000 miles. I stated nobody can force a customer to buy a warranty if they do not want it. I really believe that these vehicles are not inspected as they claim. I know a neighbor who purchased a 430, the breaks were sweaking. H e put it on a lift there was less than a 1/16 remaining on all the pads. I would say buyer beware on the certified warranties. You are paying for the original warranty.
  • manlymanly Member Posts: 14
    I live in Los Angeles area and plan to purchase the 2007 SC430 (Pebble Beach edition) in the next couple weeks. I am a lousy negotiator. Would anyone share your purchase price, experience and recommend a Lexus dealer where you have purchased? I plan to offer 2% over invoice price. Would that work ???

Thanks for sharing.
  • jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    The Sc430's are not selling that well due the price of gas and customers hate the runflats. We have one dealer who has 15 in stock and has only sold 1 SC430 since March.
  • gordogordo Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a 1992 SC400 from a private seller. The vehicle is good to excellent condition with 112,000 miles. Normal wear of leather seat on driver's side. Owner said it was rear ended a few years ago, but was completely restored. Looks great with a very nice exterior/interior. Options include the moonroof, rear spoiler, 12 disc CD changer with premium sound system. Asking price is $7895. When I compute the price on Edmunds TMV, I get $4372 Private Party and $5891 Retail (including regional and mileage adjustment). KBB has it listed as $6195 "Good" and $6755 "Excellent." Question to you all is why the big difference in TMV vs. KBB? And what do you think would be a fair market price for this vehicle? I think the owner has it priced too high. Wanted your input before I make an offer. Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Hi, gordo..

We have a couple of discussions where you might have a better chance of getting an answer from a professional.

Real-World Trade-In Values

What's my classic worth?

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• den6den6 Member Posts: 1
    The dealers in my area only have one if you are lucky. Do they have the pebble beach model every year? How can I find what I want?? Frustrated...
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Hello members. I picked up a pre-owned 2006 SC430 in Smokey Granite Mica on Friday. Will be the Mrs. ride (although she has let me drive some) ;) . Replaced a 2005 GX470. She is extremely happy. Not even sure she is aware of the harsh ride she gets with the run-flats. I'll have to keep everyone posted.
  • bslusherbslusher Member Posts: 1
    Car man! What does .00255 mean? I understand the 52%. If car's price is 65,000, how do they figure the lease payment? This leasing is all new to me. Thanks in advance.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hey bslusher. The articles that kyfdx directed you should answer most of the questions that you have about leasing. .00255 is this car's money factor. Most banks use money factors instead of interest rates to calculate the interest portion of lease payments. You can convert money factors into approximate money factor equivalents to see how good they are by multiplying them by 2400. So, a money factor of .00255 would be equal to an interest rate of around 6.12%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • bbattsbbatts Member Posts: 6
    All cars will be less expensive later than they are now. In addition due to economy, dealers are dumping more expensive cars which will only drive prices down both now and later. Any dealer can only afford to keep so much inventory at time. Since they are not selling as many cars now, many of the extra cars are have to be moved through other means at a lesser price.
  • bbattsbbatts Member Posts: 6
    FYI. I just purchased in Sept. 09 a red 2005 SC430 with 11,500 miles for 33,900. My limited research seems to show low mileage 2004 SCs selling around 29K and 2005 selling in mid 30s. If dealing with a dealer, add on about 5K. Keep in mind on a trade, you normally only pay taxes on the difference of the trade $$$.

BB
  • rcraftrcraft Member Posts: 16
    Sticker was just over $70K and I paid $64K plus TTL. I'm guessing that I paid about $2K over invoice. Dealer really struggled to "hold gross", but the soft market was my friend. BTW, the '09 Pebble Beach is drop dead good looking - Mercury Metallic, Ecru Leather with black stitching and black hard seat backs and very dark (nearly black) bird's eye maple. The two tone interior is just beautiful. They have reduced the Pebble Beach run to just 300 in '09, so the dealer was using the scarcity ploy, but in the end my $64K was more scarce than his PB SC430. I love Capitalism. :D
  • paragon99paragon99 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my certified 2005 Black/Ecru with 37,000 miles from local Lexus dealer. Paid $37K - it's a beauty. Only complaint is "oily-looking" condition of center information display and similar condition on Navigation screen. Looks like a good cleaning would solve the problem but did not. Dealer could not improve appearance (said they tried). Any suggested remedies would be appreciated. :shades:
  • graceandersgraceanders Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 05 sc430 with 50K miles, deal of the century. Flew to vegas and drove it back to San Francisco, paid 23,888! I don't like the wheels. It has the run flat tire option. The ride seems a bit rough, compared to the way my 3 series sports package BMW hugs the road. I would also like to get chrome wheels...any ideas - where I could find good deals on OEM wheels? Thanks
  • billplanobillplano Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a silver/saddle perfect condition with 62,000, all records, no issues 2002 SC430. Sweet ride. I am in north Texas near Dallas. One small problem - the radio door/cover will not come down. Any ideas on how to fix it?
  • tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    It could be a mechanical or an electrical reason. The radio door could be mechanically stuck if something sticky got spilled on it, say a soda that could tip from the cupholder. If all the radio buttons and knobs turn without sticking and the ashtray opens easily that is probably not the cause.
    Either the button is not making a contact or the motor is out. Just to be sure - also check the fuses. There are at least three fuses listed in the manual for the audio system. To check the button you need to open the console starting at the seat warmer dials - directions are lengthy but available on the Internet.
  • chief1731chief1731 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 3 year lease on a 2007 SC 430 WITH 11,500 miles priced at 43,500. What should the payments be?
  • king11king11 Member Posts: 8
    I was told by my Lexus dealer that Lexus does not lease pre-owned Lexus cars. Is this true? I live in Ma.
  • asolare1asolare1 Member Posts: 31
    Do you know what the money factor and residuals are for 10,000 and for 12,000 miles and 36 months on a new 2010 SC430? Thanks.
    I certainly do, asolare1. Lexus Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 SC 430 with 12,000 miles per year are .00190 and 50%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

The residual value for a lease with only 10,000 miles per year is 1% higher.

Car_man
    Host
  • asolare1asolare1 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks very much.
    You're very welcome, asolare1.

Car_man
    Host
  • cht1cht1 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to purchase an SC 430. i'd like to stay below $30k and would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what years to look for (or avoid). Also, any thoughts on options or other considerations i should factor into my purchase decision.

Live in Dallas, so local selection is pretty good.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.