Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Comments

• caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I feel your pain. I lost the keys to my Caliber for almost a month. Being that it was $180 to order a replacement key fob I considered just making a copy but I was told that although the copy would unlock the doors it wouldn't start the car because there is a chip that "unlocks" the engine.

I would imagine your car is similar. I think you may have to grin and bear it and order a new key from the dealer. :cry:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    The dealer should have delivered 2 original keys to you. Some dealers lose one. Where's your other key? If you never got it, see if you can get it from the dealer. There is no way to start the car without a key with a chip in it, that has been programmed to match your ignition.
  • minnieusaminnieusa Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 PT ... I had a spare key made and it cost me $110. The key must be made in a car shop not a key shop. This is a computer chipped key that is designed that way. If you use that copy key in your ignition, it may turn over the engine, but the engine will stall within a minute. This is a safety feature so your car cannot be stolen. Let your ins. company know, usually you get a discount ... works the same as a car alarm ..
  • digger3164digger3164 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2 key blanks that both had the chips inside from EBay. Then took them to a hardware store to be cut. Cost around $75 for both. :)
  • saber39saber39 Member Posts: 1
    Yes..EBAY!! You get a blank key with the transponder. They should send you instructions on how to program. Very easy and will take you all of about 60 seconds to program. You then go to a locksmith that can cut the uncut key for you. You might have to call around to locksmiths to see if they can do it. Example: I have an Audi A6 with a special side cut key. I got a blank key on e-bay for $50 with programing instructions. I then called several locksmiths to see if they had the machine to do a side cut. They call the machine a sidewinder and I had no luck finding anyone with the $20,000 machine. So I did what you wouldn't expect..I called the dealership parts department (parts people are cool and love seeing you save $$) to see who cuts their keys (sometimes outsourced to local locksmith). They told me only Audi, but he said they do use a local company to help them with locks and transponders in the Audi's. He told me the name and BINGO..they have a sidewinder and will cut the key for $10. I have a cut working key for $60. Audi wanted $190. So do the leg work..it can pay off!!
  • kandakernskandakerns Member Posts: 2
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    That's great! I'll have to remember that when I lose my keys. Yes I say WHEN not IF because I always do. :blush:
  • ajzinmanajzinman Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 PT Crusier and I've been told that I can improve it's gas mileage by putting on a duel exaust and maybe a new (about $50) air filter. Is any of this true? Can someone help me?
    Thanks AJ
  • charlesf4charlesf4 Member Posts: 20
    I have read all kinds of ways to improve mileage. Different kind of plug wires, different kinds of plugs and on and on. I guess it it works that is great. My 2004 GT Turbo will be four years old this month and have not had any problems with it. I too would like to get better mileage!
  • game76game76 Member Posts: 2
    I got an 06 limited edition turbo, I put magnaflow exhaust on it, with a 4inch tip,and a cold air intake. If i dont get on it, i get about 2 miles more per gallon, and I added about 20hp to my ride.
  • ajc3ajc3 Member Posts: 1
    I unhooked the battery on my PT to clean off some corrosion on one of the bolts. When I restarted the car, the CD player shuffled thru the discs and then CA-pooy. Radio does not even register that there is a CD player in the vehicle now. Took it to the Chrysler dealer and got a, "Um, yeah, um, Uh-huh." Was told that this is a problem with SOME PT's, but not all (said he'd seen it before). He couldn't get it to register either and now my 6 CD's are being held hostage. It's a April 04 vehicle with 27,500 miles on it. Warranty, of course, expired on 4/15/2007. In my mind, this is something that should NOT happen to a vehicle wiht this few miles on it. Plus I have Sirius, and rarely use the CD player. Was told this was about a $600 replacement. Anyone have any thoughts, heard or know anything about this issue? Can't get my CD's back w/o taking the radio apart. Was told to go by a new radio thru a radio store. Very helpful dealer advise. Appreciate any help!!!
  • kronykrony Member Posts: 110
    Chrysler puts PT Cruiser’s future in doubt
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20265908/
    Automaker will build them through ’09, but demand for them is softening
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Hardly a sad day for PT Cruiser fans. Maybe a sad day for early adopters who paid a premium over list price.

But to me, the PT Cruiser looks as good as it did on day one. In fact, better - all of them have body colored bumpers instead of the grey bumpers on the original base model. The current version has a nicely redesigned interior. They still work REALLY well for their intended purpose. I know, I had two, and they served as mini-minivans for my small (in size, not numbers!) family - before people had heard of a Mazda5 or Kia Rondo.

In fact I just saw the 2008 PT Cruiser in LX trim (that's what they call the base trim model now) at a dealer and it's still a triumph of packaging and "retro" design. It now comes with side air bags (unfortunately not side CURTAIN) as well with power windows, door locks, and keyless entry, standard.

The large dealers in Northern California routinely advertise the PT for $12.5 K with an automatic - a great price, especially compared to its nearest cousin, the HHR from Chevy. One San Jose dealer has been selling sunroof equipped, Boston Acoustics equipped, automatics for $11888.

Is there anything else available in America, from a domestic or import maker, than comes close in value? It sure beats a Focus or Cobalt. Stripped Dodge Calibers sell for more!

If Chrysler discontinues the PT, it will only be when they have a similar entry level car with a little more "class" than most entry level cars. The PT is perfect for Chrysler - it drives traffic to the showroom, introduces first time or budget drivers to the brand, and has some cachet - it's an economy car in specialty car clothing.

Probably the only problem Chrysler has is having to price them so low to move enough of them to justify keeping it in their lineup - but they must have amortized a lot of their initial capital investment by now.

Yes, the PT is probably a little past its "freshness date," but over a million have been sold, and they have a great reliability record. I doubt they will come out with an updated PT since Chrysler would have to sink a lot of capital costs into a now-limited demand/price specialty car. But it's hard to imagine what kind of viable replacement they can come up with - I simply can't see a "re-badged" Dodge Caliber in Chrysler's future, that car has Dodge DNA so deeply written into it, it wouldn't "fit" on a Chrysler lot.

If you doubt me, read the major metropolitan newspaper ads and see how PT Cruisers keep popping up as very economical "ad specials." Not just one or two for 5-10. This is a car which is easy and cheap to maintain and keep running. I couldn't think of a more functional vehicle for a single mom who needs an inexpensive alternative to a bloated (in price and features) minivan or impossible expensive "cross-over."

What would you recommend to your friends now that Chrysler offers a lifetime power train warranty - a Honda CRV for $22k or a $12k PT Cruiser? Trust me, a $10 difference buys a LOT of baby food.
    And then there was the VW bug that went on and on. I have often thought about how those people feel that went out and bought the first Cruiser with the out landished mark ups.

The first time I saw a Cruiser at the LA Auto Show I knew one day I would have one. I test drove one later and was disappointed because it felt so under powered. I waited around and bought a 2004 GT Turbo. it is a gas hog but I don't care. I love the car!!
  • superwoodysuperwoody Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2007 PT Cruiser that didn't have cruise from the factory so I ordered the factory speed control kit from Mopar. Everything went fairly well on the install except for a couple of problems of the instructions not showing the correct view. In other words, in one case where it shows to plug 2 wires into a certain plug, there was only room for one! Has anyone here installed a kit in an 07'? Also, does the computer need to be reset/reprogrammed for the cruise, the instructions had ZERO words on it just pictures :confuse:

HELP ANYONE
    No help from your dealer? I'd check with them on some help...especially if it's Mopar parts.
  • atuncayatuncay Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with the kit I just received. The part number on it is 82209360AB, it shows the incorrect connector configuration on the steering wheel and has the pin numbers reversed on the connector on the firewall.

Calls to Mopar have not helped. Have solved your problem?

-ahmet
  • car2starcar2star Member Posts: 5
    Hi ajc3, the problem you described just happened to me. 2004 PT cruiser with 25K miles. Battery died and my radio works but does not recognize the CD player in "mode". The dealer said something about a "reset", but said to buy a new radio! Did you ever get an answer? Thanks.
  • wschellwschell Member Posts: 3
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF A DUST COVER FOR A 2006 PT CONVERTABLE WILL FIT A 2007 PT CONVERTABLE.

THANKS, BILL
    A dealer should be able to tell you for sure but from what I know due to the major facelift for 2006 there are no differences between any of the 06 and 07 PT's with exception of equipment in the base packages and the "PT Cruiser" decal/emblem going to the rear hatch instead of the doors. That's probably a safe cost reduction :) .
  • carbugscarbugs Member Posts: 7
    I had a Plymouth Sundance that used 1 quart of oil for every 1000 miles and some other serious problems such as broken air conditioning, paint coming off, stalling and loud squealing noises that made people stare. I took that car to every dealer within a 50 mile radius of my home and it was never fixed. Chrysler finally sent me a letter stating that 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is "normal". I should have framed that letter, it was hilarious. Took a huge loss on the vehicle.
  • russhawleyrusshawley Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was wondering if you resolved your problem and I would also like a copy of the instructions if that is possible. I am a pretty good mechanic but I would like to see what all is involved. Thanks
  • russhawleyrusshawley Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if someone could send me the instructions for the speed control kit part 82209360ab. I would like to see what all is involved before I purchase the kit. Thanks, Russ. They can be emailed to rushhawley@aol.com
  • billybugbillybug Member Posts: 8
    HI,

Just got back from Ely, Mn with our 2001 PT. Original battery and 30,000 miles. Seven year old battery started car at -24 degrees F! Not wind chill but the real thing.

Bill
  • mysophiemysophie Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue, has anybody solved this? If so, what was the fix? Any help is appreciated.
  • tomquinn3tomquinn3 Member Posts: 2
    I bought our 2004 PT , no turbo, new from a dealer. We currently have 105,000 miles and had great luck with this car. We just replaced the Timing Belt and Water Pump at the recommended 105,000 miles. Otherwise, we have only replaced he left turn signal bulb and nothing else. I drive at average speeds of 75 MPH constantly. I read all the issues with the automatic transmissions. My thought when purchasing was to use the 5 speed manual. I do not believe with mixing a small horsepower engine with an automatic due to the constant up and downshifting when power is needed. This hard constant shifting is what I believe is causing the auto transmission problems. I feel I have an additional 100,000 plus before I will have any major problems. I also have used Synthetic Oil, a bit more expensive but well worth it in the long haul.
  • smcelduffsmcelduff Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend who has one of these cars and we are trying to remove the larger of the two rear seats and we pull on the cord that seems to be the only thing used to release the seat but the mechanism seems not to release such that we cannot move the seat from the floor. He will be taking it to the dealer shortly to have it looked at unless there is some "magic" someone here knows about when removing these seats.... thanks in advance for any help, hopefully I have described problem well enough.
  • rondeerondee Member Posts: 1
    I have a new to me /07 PT Convertible black top We park in an underground parking Hi Rise and it is very dusty. and I mean dusty. I got an answer they are available but were from? I am looking for a nylon top cover that covers the front windshield and rear window and only the top! it should be sort of like a nylon jacket that you can stuff into its own pocket or a small stuff bag with a drawstring and put it in the glove box. I dont need it for rain or snow just dust .
    Hope you guy's can help out?
    I am new to this forum and hope I can find my way back so please email me with the answer
    rongk@sympatico.ca

Ron G Kennedy
    Kitchener Ontario Canada
  • tedebeartedebear Member Posts: 832
    Did you try a Google search? Here's what I came up with by using the following keywords:

PT Cruiser Convertible Top Dust Cover

I'm at work and I cannot check each one in the list but that should get you started. If it's not what you're looking for try some different keywords and see what turns up.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Why not buy a car cover? They come in standard sizes and should fit your car. Living in Canada, you should find one at your local Canadian Tire store. Good luck.
    Hey folks...I have an '06 Limited that seems to be having a issue with the outside air temp readout on the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (on the dash). At first I got the runaround that they couldn't recreate the issue, then I took it in while happening and they replaced the sensor which is located in front of the radiator.

It's now acting flaky again, sometimes will be off by 20 degrees then after 5 minutes of driving with "wake up" and count up/down to read accurately. My service advisor at the dealership says it's normal to sometimes have 5 min of lag which I think is crazy.

Anyone else have that issue and got it fix?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I, also, Have a 2006 PT Limited and have had that same problem periodically. The first time I noticed it, I took it back to the dealership and after about fifteen minutes they said thay fixed it. About a week later, it acted up again but, as you said, about five minutes later it was A.O.K.
    Now, I just let it "reset itself' and it works fine (until the next time)!!!
  • kjp1017kjp1017 Member Posts: 1
    Having trouble with a code 0222 throttle positioning sensor low output. When pulling a hill of any size, car bucks and carries on and tranny shifts awkward. what can I do?
    There is the problem of shifting! It is a non-turbo. I have a 2004 turbo and believe me I never have shifting problems.
  • krfkrf Member Posts: 4
    there is a cover out there go to caPopTop.com they carry a top just what you are looking for it is made out of tyvec material and the more you use the softer it is i know they carry one for the pt convertable i have one :)
    Thanks, A friend of mine picked one up for me here in So. CA.
    Charlie
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hi...
    Why is this particular forum lifeless? It's a pity. The PT Cruiser ain't dead, and it looks as though it still has a long(?) shelf life to go. From what I read Fiat intends on keeping this machine in the New Chrysler stable as a niche vehicle. If the "New" Chrysler wakes up and gives this vehicle the attention it needs the PT may rise like the Phoenix and revive itself, so to speak. They should do as VW did with the original Beetle: maintain the body as is and make all sorts of mechanical improvements to it, to make it a superior machine and keep it from being a "has been" idea passed it prime, IMHO. I dig the PT and only hope it lives on, contrary to what the squares say.
    Peace!<-AladdinSane<- :shades:
    Unfortunately, the PT Cruiser will only live on for another year. The factory in Mexico that builds the Cruiser will build a Fiat model (likely the Fiat 500) for the 2011 model year. I recently purchased a PT Cruiser convertible and I thoroughly enjoy the car.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    My wife & I have had a PTC for a rental car about 5 times in the past few years, most recently in HA where it seemed like every 3rd car was a Chysler product and PT Cruisers abound,
    Although most of the cars I have ownered have been Hondas & we currently drive a Del Sol, A4, & Forester, I must admit that the PTC makes a great rental car. Lots of glass for good visiblity, plenty of room for suitcases, relatively comfortable & quite ride, reasonable fuel economy (we have typically gotten 23-26 mpg). The power is adequate for relaxed cruising & it handles pretty well for an inexpensive car. In fact I found it handled the corners of Wiamea canyon well at above average speeds coming down on two occasions last week. - relatively flat & no drama.
    All that to say, while I would probably never buy a PT Cruiser due to poor mpg for it's size, I think they make a great rental car for getting from point A to B relatively comfortably & inexpensively. I can heartily recommend them for rental car for 2 people. :D
  • curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    So I was looking at wagons on CR website and the PT Cruiser is ranked second to last in owner satisfaction, just ahead of the Dodge Caliber...this is out of 24 cars! I'm not sure how a new buyer who does his/her homework can argue with the majority and buck the trend/experience. It may be part reliability issue but also driving experience. I doubt this model will last long given many factors mentioned on this site. :lemon:
  • finethingptlefinethingptle Member Posts: 7
    I need some of my decals replaced.... had some body work done on my car .. ooops... and as a result I need some of my flame decals replaced... Where can I can them? I dont need the whole set, is it possible to buy what I need, or do I have to buy the whole set?
    I would start by looking at Google and then Ebay.

Good luck
  • greenacuragreenacura Member Posts: 42
    My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a used PT Cruiser. We twice had a PT Cruiser as a rental, one seemed great but the other seemed well worn. I've seen some used PT's in the $6,000 range with 50K plus. I've read the history and wonder if this is a smart buy or if I'd be better off with a Toyota Matrix or Mazda 3. My wife loves the styling and I think it is OK, we are looking for something to complement or leased 2009 Maxima and it would be nice to have something that would make trips to Home Depot easier. Thoughts?
  • finethingptlefinethingptle Member Posts: 7
    My PT Cruiser is good... the only thing that is a problem is those damn chrome rims... I switched mine. Other than that, it's good on gas - mine is a 2002 - as you pobably know, the newer models are even better on gas. They are also convenient due to the extra space inside. Mine also has the roof rack which is very handy. The car is a good value for you dollar, I'd get another one.
    Good luck.
    I bought a 2007 PT Cruiser convertible in May 2009. I really like the car; paid about $14,000 and the car only had 5,500 miles. The gas mileage could be better (approx. 24 MPG for mixed driving). The only concern I would have is that the car is low to the ground. If you live in a snow belt area this could be a problem. Good luck.
  • cindylou53cindylou53 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Pt Cruiser it's below zero out, battery was dead, let it sit for a few days before replacing, car turns over but won't start, anyone have this problem, or any ideas on how or why it won't start?
  • barsenderbarsender Member Posts: 1
    i just got my pt cruiser, they changed the motor and they could not get it to start.it wants to start but will not i changed the coil pack,new i had to get a new lower intake new plugs checked the code ,checked the timing belt poured gas in carb but still just tries to but will not start can any one help Ronnie
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter wants to talk with folks who own/ed a PT Cruiser and/or have a strong opinion about the car. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, July 9, 2010 with your thoughts about its heyday and/or its demise.
  • acuevasacuevas Member Posts: 2
    Hey All,

My 05 PT ( 2.4L Turbo, 82,358 miles ) is not running well. It will lose speed/power at high speeds. I ran the above codes over at a shop. Can anybody point me to where I can find what the codes mean? Thanks. :confuse:
    Sometimes google searches work, or else try an Autozone or O-Reilly Auto Parts Store.