Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jehanjjehanj Member Posts: 11
    I'm shopping around for an AWD and am being told that they it is very rare to find a car without the premium package. Any truth to this? Thanks.
  • apboapbo Member Posts: 1
    i'm about to purchase a new rx 400h. any tips or insights into best price. any location in tri state area ok. thanks everyone.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    try Lexus of Bridgewater, NJ - got mine a few months ago for 45k before TTL, RX400h all option except rear entertainment & dynamic laser cruise.
  • fuego228fuego228 Member Posts: 3
    Wow great price! I'd like the same car at the same price.I live in the Bay Area as well.Did you ask that price over the net right away? Did it include Tax and Title?
    Thanx for help.
  • sloopgsloopg Member Posts: 4
    Doing my homework before making a purchase decision for a 07 RX400h, AWD, all options except Levinson Sound and laser cruise control. I currently line in Northern California. The Northern california dealers that I have talked to are unwilling to discount the RX below 1K under MSRP. Based on reading this board and some on-line homework, it seems like the best deals are in Southern California. I don't have any issue doing a weekend trip to LA to save some serious money. Questions is how much can I really save and are there any cards available.

Here are my questions...

1) Does CarsDirect really work... they are showing a $3k difference between northern and southern Ca. Are there really RXs available through them and are there any hidden fees or will I find dealers unwilling to honor their quote?

2) Is the CarsDirect $3K discount the best deal or are there dealerships where I can negotiate a better deal?

3) Do you recommend any specific dealerships in the LA area that you recommend? Is the best way to contact them through the internet?

4) Is it worth waiting until Dec and getting an '08. Obviously they will not be discounted as heavily as the 07s.

I have also come to the conclusion after talking to some local dealerships that I will not get even close to KBB trade-in value on a trade so I will have to sell it privately before proceeding.

regards,
    SloopG
    Where in Northern Cali? Im in the Bay Area and asking 46,600 with everything but the laser cruise control.After haggling for 3 days he is sticking to 48K for a 51K MSRP.He told me himself that SOCAL has better deals though.
    If you can get a $3k off MSRP discount in the bay area, go for it. Otherwise, you will have to shop down in LA. Who was the dealer who offered $3k off MSRP? Most of the dealers I have spoken to have been unwilling to deal.
  • wareverwarever Member Posts: 28
    I leased a 400h in March. I had leased several RX's (and my fiancee bought an IS) from Jim Falk Lexus in BH in the past. Their prices were on a par with everyone else on the 350 but they were $100 higher a month on the 400h. So I went with Longo Lexus (here in So Cal). David Truong.

I was sick with the flu, my RX300 lease was up and the bank wouldn't extend it even 1 day (US Bank - never use them), so David drove the car over here personall (which is about 30 miles) and dropped it off for me, then took back my RX300.

The vehicle is an AWD, Flint Mica with Gray interior, Mark Levinson with NAV, Premium Plus, heated seats, pretty much everything but the laser cruise control, DVD rear entertainment system, and for some reason no cargo net. MSRP was $51,346. I don't have the cap cost handy but I think it was about $3K off MSRP.

Lease was 48 months, 12K miles, $598+tax = $648 per month with $2,500 total drive-off (first, license, and cap reduction).

They're huge, which somewhat makes you feel like you're walking into a Wall-Mart or something, but that also means they get and can give great deals. I'd definitely recommend Longo - and call David in their Internet department.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • jacksonjonejacksonjone Member Posts: 1
    where are you coming up with this? I have tried and tried. I have gone down the dealership and cannot get them to do any better than 48388. Any ideas?

Jack
    The best bid. about $47.8k, I was able to get on the Lexus 400h was Stevens Creek. Going in an talking to them will not help, you have to negotiate with their internet sales person. Do a carsdirect.com search using a Los Angeles zipcode like 90007. The price through carsdirect in LA is $3k off MSRP. The same search with a SF zipcode yields no discount at all. Bottom line, if you want a good price on an RX400h, buy it in LA.
    Curious what options and color did you get? I had been negotiating with them for a few days and never got close to your figure but not the 46,600 that people claimed to get from them here.Im going to LA soon and will negotiate with a few of the suggested dealerships from here.
    Didn't buy from them. The options that they included on the RX400h AWD for that price included everything other than the Mark Levenson stereo and laser assist cruise control. I have to sell my current car privately because you get ripped trying to do this type of deal with a trade in.. dealerships are offering $2500 under KBB trade in value. I hate privately selling my cars but the $$$ difference is too great. Once I get it sold, I'll probably find an LA dealer with the best price. No way will I give my business to a Norther Cal dealer. What a pain. All I wanted was a fair price on the RX and KBB trade in value on my car. Let me know when you find a good deal in LA. Some of the other mail strings mention Lexus of Riverside for decent pricing.

good luck
    sloopG
  • jessy604jessy604 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I live in the Chicago area and was researching the best price for a leather prem package 2006 AWD -no more than 25-35k miles? Can anyone share their experience with pre-owned and what they paid? It seems the new cars are almost the same price as the pre-owned listed price. McGrath has a 2006 with 18500 miles premium package AWD listed for 44k that sounds high compared since I read in the california threads that some people bought a 2007 for that much. I know the chicago market can have an inflated price so I am willing to travel in the midwest to find a great deal (like 36-38k).

Thanks!
  • ksrpksrp Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a 400h. Bay Area dealers tell me that the 08 models will not be available before October at the earliest.
    Is this accurate or is this a standard ploy to get me to buy now rather than wait for a couple of months?
  • erc66erc66 Member Posts: 13
    From what I understand in the DC area, at least, they should be out in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming that as soon as the Sept. 4th sale is over with, they will start getting the 2008 hybrids. But, that's East Coast - CA might be different.
  • crvexl4wdcrvexl4wd Member Posts: 35
    Hi, Did any one buy the 2008 RX400h AWD base model. If so pls provide the detals of your deal. I am in Portland area and looking for one to buy. Thanks
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    >>>I have to sell my current car privately because you get ripped trying to do this type of deal with a trade in.. dealerships are offering $2500 under KBB trade in value. I hate privately selling my cars but the $$$ difference is too great.>>>

Keep in mind you will have to get a fair amount MORE from a private buyer to make up for what you would save in taxes with a trade-in. When you trade in a vehicle, you only pay taxes on the amount after your trade in price is deducted. Not on the entire negotiated purchase price of the new vehicle. Basically, if your trade in is worth $20,000 and you live in an area of 9% taxes, you'll have to pay an extra $1,800 in taxes if you don't trade in your vehicle. You'll have to get an extra $1,800 from a private buyer just to break even (not including your time, advertising fees, liability, etc.)

Granted the total value of your current car, your locations taxes, etc. will effect this, so it might be worth it, but this is one more part of the total equation to consider. Another factor is the market for your particular used car in your area. In many areas, you won't get anywhere near KBB when selling a used vehicle because there have been such good deals on new for the last few years, the used market is flooded with inventory. Of course, the opposite could be true if your particular vehicle is not as common and in demand.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "When you trade in a vehicle, you only pay taxes on the amount after your trade in price is deducted. Not on the entire negotiated purchase price of the new vehicle."

This may vary by state. It is not true in California:

" 9. Are trade-ins taxable?

Yes. The value of a trade-in is considered taxable. For example, if you sold a car for $20,000 and accepted a trade-in valued at $4,000 as partial payment, tax would be based on the $20,000 selling price (that is, you would not deduct the value of the trade-in from the sales price of the car being sold when computing sales tax)."

CA Sales Tax Rules
  • eshapireshapir Member Posts: 24
    Recently, my wife and I moved from the State of New York to Florida with our 2007 Lexus RX400h on lease and I have a unfortunate situation that I'd like some advice on.

When we leased our car in NY the full tax payment (8.375%) was added to the capitalized cost of the vehicle. When we moved to Florida, Lexus then took the monthly payment and added the FL sales tax even though we'd been in NY with the car for more than 6 months. Since Florida charges tax monthly as opposed to upfront, our monthly lease payment went up by $42.

Last month, I sent a letter with copies of our lease agreement, proof of residency in FL to the NY Dept. of Taxation and Finance asking for a rebate of $1,573.23 from the full tax paid of $1,826.98. This represents the amount of time left on the lease that we won't be registered in the State of New York. Today, they denied my rebate claim. However, upon moving to Florida, Lexus told me to contact NY state for a refund of the taxes paid at origination.

Help, I'm now paying double tax on a car and this doesn't seem fair. I brought the car into FL after 6 months, which is the minimum time for paying tax on a purchase/lease. How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Ethan

FYI, the reply from the State of NY specifically stated that "there is no provision in the NY State sales and use tax law to allow for a refund of sales tax paid on the lease of a vehicle where the lessee relocates to another state where they may also be required to pay tax."
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Sorry to say, but this is not a rare occurence. If NY won't rebate part of the tax you paid upfront, then you are out of luck.

Unfair, but nothing you can do.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jkjjkj Member Posts: 6
    I'm considering an 07 RX 400h in the DC area. Hoping to get an end of the year deal that will make the extra cost of the hybrid more justifiable. Anyone with recent experience? If so, how much above invoice or below MSRP have you been able to do negotiate? Please say what dealer and salesperson.

Thanks

John
  • erc66erc66 Member Posts: 13
    Hi there. Unless you know of a particular Hybrid that's still available, I don't think there are any left in the DC area. They all got sold during that huge sale that ended on Sept. 4th. In addition, there are hardly an new 2008 models, unless they've started to come in. So, good luck!
  • billc112billc112 Member Posts: 41
    The same exact thing happened to me when I moved from NY to California. I sent a letter to the Tax Dept in California with a copy of my lease which showed that I had already paid NYS taxes on the cap cost of the car. It took a while for them to respond, but they eventually did acknowledge that I was being double taxed on my lease and made the proper adjustment and credited me for the overpayments I had made since moving to California.

You should try the same strategy in Florida.
    Good Luck.
  • kavimandankavimandan Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

I just bought a 2007 400h with 2500 miles on it. The miles are from Lexus executives driving the vehicle at the US open this year. I bought the car for 42000$ (invoice was 46775$). Does this sound like a good buy to you all?

Nik
  • kerikkerik Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase this car in Seattle area. Any recent buyers who can share their price paid and buying experience are appreciated.
  • ehanehan Member Posts: 1
    who did you see at bridgewater lexus to get that pricing?
  • jcf118jcf118 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any recent purchases/pricing in the Buffalo area?
  • merkin17merkin17 Member Posts: 1
    I have been doing research for a 400h AWD for about a year. I have checked out all kinds of web sites looking for the best deals. I have found some good deals at Fleetrates.com. If your local dealer will match prices from online prices you can get a 400h AWD for 3-5k below MSRP. There is a 400h AWD posted right now with more options than I am looking for listed at $$46775. I have visited my local dealer in Evansville, Indiana and spoke with him a few times to see what deals he is willing to honor. I'm planning to purchase within the next 2 months and figure I can get a 400h AWD w/premium package, navigation, heated seats w/sensing wipers, wood interior, and towing package for close to $45.7k.
  • trez2020trez2020 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy my parents a new RX. I just called Longo Lexus in El Monte and I was told that the 2009 RX just came out 2 weeks ago and they only have 35 2008 models left. Is this the perfect time to get a brand new 2008 model since the 2009 model just came out? I suppose the demand is still very high for the 2008 model so does anyone have any advice on when the best time is to get a new Rx? (I don't mind getting an older model) Thanks!
  • bocastephenbocastephen Member Posts: 35
    I tried the fleetrates route - the prices are 'sample' representations and don't reflect the actual price you will pay. What the webpage doesn't tell you - the quoted prices, if/when available, are with 10% down (plus inceptions) and 60 month leases!
    Does anyone know the pricing deal employees of Toyota/Lexus corporate get? Not the dealer/distributor employees, but the managers who work for the HQ or manufacturing locations.

I have a connection with someone who works in the corporate marketing department, but we're not very close, and before I go out on a limb and ask them to help me with an employee buy, I'd like to know how good a deal they get. I know my local distributor offers their staff $1,500 over 'landed cost', which isn't a great deal or anything a hard negotiator couldn't swing themselves. I'd hope the HQ employees get something better.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I don't have an answer for you, but I know all the managers at a local Toyota parts warehouse drive company cars.. (like a bat out of hell, I might add).

U.S. Toyota manufacturing headquarters is nearby... One of their engineers lives in my neighborhood, but I think they've only bought one new Toyota in the last 10 years.. Either they are frugal (likely), or the employee deal is not that impressive.

I'm not sure how a "not very close" acquaintance would be able to help you, though? I don't think a Toyota employee would risk his job to get a car for someone that wasn't eligible, otherwise.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

She would help, provided she didn't already use her allotment for the year. I believe they get one car for themselves and one additional car for family/friend at the special rate, with some other restrictions (I think a ban on resale was one such restriction)...or it might have been one car per year, which could be used by them or transferred to a friend/family member.

I had another friend from a few years back who worked at the HQ in Long Beach, but I can't remember the details of his deal. I do remember it was one per year, but he used his allotment and couldn't do anything for me.

It's the details I'm after - something like x% under invoice, I would jump at - but something like x% or x$ over invoice, it's probably not worth it.
  • cnmirandacnmiranda Member Posts: 1
    After much haggling we settled on a total purchase price of 23,896 for a 24month/15,000mi lease of a Lexus 400 hybrid. Did we get a good deal? We paid cash upfront, no financing. That comes out to approx. $1,000/mo for the car. The sticker price was 51k with the navigation system, lots of extras, and a 295 scratch/ding guarantee. We turned in our 1999 Volvo S80 T6 for only $2500, however it needed 4k in repairs and had a dent in the side. Finally, we were offered 29k towards a new car when the lease is up, we know that is subject to change and bargaining.

This is our first time leasing a vehichle as we want to see what other types of new hybrids come out in the next few years.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • chance8chance8 Member Posts: 4
    I am new to leasing as well. Here's what I agreed to (and I have a nagging feeling I should have negotiated harder) for the model with leather, nav,...: $4000 down (includes 1st of 48 pymts), $670/month for the remaining 47 months, 16K miles/year. If I'm doing the math correctly that comes out to $8872.50/yr or $0.555 per mile.

In your case Miranda, you're probably paying a bit of a premium for the short term, but I'm sure others with more experience know more than I.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter hopes to speak with consumers who want to buy hybrid SUVs that are having a hard time finding them at dealerships and/or are frustrated by dealers marking up the prices on the hybrids. If you are a consumer looking to purchase a hybrid SUV, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Tuesday, March 25, 2008.
  • japple3062japple3062 Member Posts: 1
    What are the changes in the new model?
  • krellukrellu Member Posts: 31
    I think the changes are only cosmetic.But I did speak to a dealer who told me that in spring 2009 a totally redesigned 2010 model will be introduced.
  • claimguruclaimguru Member Posts: 3
    I am in the process of leasing a 2008 Lexus 400H FWD. This is the following deal offered to me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its good or what I should negotiate better for.

MSRP 48695
    Price 44900
    36 months
    12,000 miles
    Inceptions 1672
    696 monthly plus tax
    residual if 51%
    money factor is .00200

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would like to be driving a new car by week end.
  • swwinlaswwinla Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a loaded RX400h in Brandywine Mica today here in SoCal. Price came to $479 over invoice when you include the profit the dealer made on the iPod kit. I'm assuming that's good, but there's so little activity in this forum it's hard to know. Other dealers I spoke with were all ~$1200 higher.

Sweet car in a sweet color. The wife is very happy.
  • rocknroll389rocknroll389 Member Posts: 31
    Hi,

I was interested in the RX400h and began emailing a few dealers in my area and looked to see what their first offers would be. Within 15 minutes of emailing the 3 dealers, I got emails from all 3 of them. 2 of them stated that they would call me to talk about the price but the other just got to the point and told me their 1st offer, $43900 on an MSRP a shade above 50 grand (nav, premium plus, heated seats, wood trim, etc). I was actually pretty surprised by this since this is their 1st offer and its already at invoice. How much more haggle room do you think I have (paying with cash)? And is the market for cars this bad that a Lexus dealer is willing go invoice and below for a hybrid? I wasnt looking to purchase so soon, but depending how this works out, I may buy before the month is out.

Thanks
  • dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    Who is the dealer that gave you pricing at invoice?
  • dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    swwinla, can you share details of the detail and what was the sales rep you dealt with at the dealer? I'm consider the RX400h for my wife too and live in S. Cal.
  • swwinlaswwinla Member Posts: 2
    I dealt with Nick Pailevanian (fleet manager) at Lexus of Glendale - found him by emailing the sales dept. My deal ... RX400H FWD + Premium Plus + Levinson/Nav + Wood Interior + 18" wheels + Heated seats + Tow Package + Preferred Accessory Package + iPod interface kit for a total of $45571 vs. invoice of $45,092 (includes TDA) vs. MSRP of $51,184. When I went to pick up the vehicle, the price he gave me was ~$300 higher than his email quote. He backed down when I questioned the delta and honored his original quote (saying he'd made a mistake in the number he originally gave me).

A few of those options I didn't really want (e.g. heated seats), but that seems to be the way they all come these days. Compared to the other quotes I'd received, I ended up getting the Levinson (others didn't have it) and still paying less for the vehicle.
  • rocknroll389rocknroll389 Member Posts: 31
    Central NJ- Ray Catena Lexus of Monmouth/Freehold
  • lexus_lover1lexus_lover1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dakineguy,

Can you please also email me the name and some more info ? Thanks in advance .
  • agman86agman86 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at buying a 2008 RX400h. I don't buy a new car very often, so I am a bit reluctant to buy a car that will be an "old design" (as compared to the re-designed 2010). I figure that Lexus will incorporate design changes based on nearly four years of production and customer feedback. I know there are always risks associated with buying a "new model", but it seems to me that with Lexus, there's a strong chance things will be done right.
    Has anyone heard anything more about the re-designed 2010 RX? Does anyone have any other thoughts or insights as to the logic of this approach? Thanks!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to consumers who are in the market for a hybrid SUV but are having trouble finding one. Please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information along with the vehicle you are shopping for no later than Friday, June 20th.