Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion tC Prices Paid and Buying Experience

13»

Comments

• jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Yes, I checked and a 18600 MSRP Scion TC barely wholesales for 14000 after year one, so even with some off MSRP its not a great deal. If they have great inventory control and you can't get a significant amount off along with some free add-ons I would pass.

--jjf

I am thinking about buying my son a scion tC, but I have no idea what to expect.

Have any tips, tricks, things to watch out for?

Anything helps!
  • kupuakupua Member Posts: 31
    I was a little concerned about paying MSRP for a car and seems crazy... :confuse:

Well I can honestly say that it is possible to get a dealer to move off the sticker price. My tactics, test drive the car 1st. This will insure that you are really interested in going further... after that go to any car shopping web site like hmmm edmunds.com and proceed with new purchase.
    1) build your dream
    2) add the options
    3) send the info to your local dealers, I recommend also to use a different zip code to further your search especially if you are in a big city.
    After that you'll start to get emails from dealers.
    It does help if you're starting your search near a holiday or the middle of the month. I think this is due to the fact that most dealers see 2 weeks of exchanges before deals finally drop.
    Let them know that you are serious and will be purchasing within the 2 week window and you do want to begin a long lasting relationship with them. Being that Scions are "Value Pricing" let this work to your fav. Tell the internet sales guy you're working with that if "VP" is at all the dealers, then there is NO reason for you to go out of the way to buy it from him and you'll just buy it from the closest dealer or someone that will provide you some "incentive"! Really, its the same old BS when negotiating any deal... Don't forget, make sure that you reinforce that you are ultimately wanting to establish a great dealership relationship as you'll be "Needing" service down the road.

My deal... 2K off MSRP. So a little additional info to what happened for me. My guy initially said that I'd be able to get 2k off any tC. When he provided me 3 choices of tC's and their options, he came back with discounts of 800, 1600 and 1900. I told him that I was very disappointed. :( If that was what this dealer does, bait and switch, we are done. He did come back with the actual 2K off that I wanted :) Guys hold your ground... and good luck!
  • chuchu8chuchu8 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in a 2008 Tc Auto, please let me know which dealer (City & State) give off 2k off the MSRP. What is the final price you got and what features do you get.

Thanks for letting us know that there is a bargaining room for Tc.....
  • kupuakupua Member Posts: 31
    In order for me to preserve it for all, I can't specifically call out exactly for risk of ruin by calling out the specific dealer or general area. But yes, it is So. Cal.

As I've said, specify your area of interest by... say 20 miles, email ALL of the dealers in that radius or diameter. Tell them what you want and follow what I've posted prior. It will work. Especially now, end of the month, and money is hard to come by for the dealers

good luck!
  • dfairchilddfairchild Member Posts: 2
    Hope you all don't mind, but I'm after an xD and searching other forums for info. I'm an experienced car buyer and have tried nearly the exact sequence as described in the jfritsch approach. I've contacted 5 dealers in Houston with my build list. No luck, no bargains. They are all sticking to their guns on pure price. I intend to add some locally installed items like tint, sun roof, etc, and my next plan to negotiate is to see if I can get these for a much reduced price or "free". I'm not used to haggling without firm information on invoice vs. MSRP for all options. So far, the Scion shopping experience is a different animal for me.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    You need to get at least 10 involved (100-200mi radius). Only about 1 out of 10 dealers may be behind on targets end of month Toward the end of the month see what crunch time brings. A 3 year old 16000 xd may have a trade in of 10000, (look up an 06 xb), so the msrp is not too bad for that. The TC storiy is not as good. Best shot is to get the guy bugging you most end of month to throw in a significant amount of their (overpriced list) options. A trade may help that they can overallow (offer more than most dealers would) and sell it to you for list. (The factory would be none the wiser and they can squeak by their sale.) Perhaps with the extraordinary economic situation will come a extraordinary sales situation. Perhaps not.

Good luck

Hope you all don't mind, but I'm after an xD and searching other forums for info. I'm an experienced car buyer and have tried nearly the exact sequence as described in the jfritsch approach. I've contacted 5 dealers in Houston with my build list. No luck, no bargains. They are all sticking to their guns on pure price. I intend to add some locally installed items like tint, sun roof, etc, and my next plan to negotiate is to see if I can get these for a much reduced price or "free". I'm not used to haggling without firm information on invoice vs. MSRP for all options. So far, the Scion shopping experience is a different animal for me
This discussion has been closed.