Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• yaddamasteryaddamaster Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase a base A3 with 9k on it for 21k even. Brilliant red - not the pearl effect. Catch: it was owned by a smoker and I don't smoke. The smell is quite bad. Dealer offered to ozone the car and change the charcoal air filtration filter. I'll probably also need to have it detailed to thoroughly clean the roof where the majority of the smoke probably affixed to. Body is in great shape.

Nearest as I can tell this is 4k cheaper than getting a new one for some inconvenience.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

- Jeff
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    My advise is to call around to some dealers and see if they have any new base cloth cars in stock. If you're really sensitive to smoke, that might be a deal breaker.

FYI, Audi just put $1500 dealer cash on select A3's. But they were only on early vin #'s that are considered old units. You might find an old unit cloth car that's been sitting on a dealer lot that they may cut loose at the end of the year for a good price.

A cloth A3 has very little markup in it, though. Maybe 1500 bucks. But if you get the $1500 dealer old unit cash and buy for invoice, that turns a $25.6K base (no sunroof - 6 speed) cloth car into one for 22.6K that's never been smoked in.
  • justin12justin12 Member Posts: 23
    Is Audi going to put the Quattro in standard A3's or am I going to have to shell out 37K for an S3?
  • miamibobmiamibob Member Posts: 8
    this was my most pleasant car buying experience ever. this dealership does it their way. they sell only very hi-end imports. audi is their low end product. this is how the other half buys a car.

IF YOU WANT A 2006 A3 CALL THE COLLECTION, coral gables, fl. they still have stock. ask for the audi sales manager. tell him you don't need a test drive and you are ready to buy.

polite; no high pressure; they put the invoice on the table; and it only gets better from there.
    espresso, soft drinks...........everything except a shoe sign.

march, 2006, i originally called the Collection to find out if i could rent an A3. when hertz did not have any a3's to rent, the sales manager offered me a take home test drive. i told them i was not ready to buy and i had not decided on audi much less the a3---no problem--take the car and enjoy.

later i shopped three other dealers and got an idea what was what. i wanted to not go back to the Collection until i was ready and did not need to kick the tires.

i made an appointment to meet with the audi sales manager who had arrange for the march test drive. he showed me his inventory list. the sales manager for audi put the invoices on the table without any nonsense. he sold me the car and had a salesman do the legwork. i'm not permitted to mention names here or i would plug the salesman. he couldn't do enough to help me.

i kept waiting for the pressure. it never happened.
    yes, i had to pay the stupid advertising fee, but they crossed-out the other junk fees. even the finance manager
    was a sweet heart---explained every available item without any hard sell. i'm an attorney and usually drive finance people to drink. she made some suggestions,i called my accountant and he said she was right and i followed her advice----do not lease the a3. buy it or walk away. audi offers 4.9% 60 month financing

they knew i did internet research and requested that i don't post numbers. i want to keep my word to good people like this group.....i never would believe that i would say this about a car dealer. the competion 20 miles north broke my balls and wanted $1000. more.....why deal with that if you can deal with people who treat you like an human being.

i love my a3, premium, auto, open sky. there isn't too much 2006 stock left, now's the time. the a3 will become a cult item and will hold it's resale value.

bob
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    There is no A3 Quattro for the standard 2.0T engine for the forseeable future. If you want Quattro, the A3 3.2 S is your only choice.
    VW, so far, isn't bringing the 2.0 R32 over here either.
  • ghenriksenghenriksen Member Posts: 1
    I faxed a price quote request to Sales Managers at several area dealers. This was at the end of the model year and the quarter. I got a 30% response rate, roughly. I had a somewhat higher return rate for VW dealers in 2002, but not much. The CROOKS at Brookline Audi/VW of Brookline, MA bid for only $1000 under MSRP, which was about $600 higher than any other bid! Their service department is deplorable, too. Ira Motor Group was also a bad experience.

I wound up buying from Langan Motor Car in Schenectady, NY. The salesman did not include any fees in his quote. He was honest when he couldn't match my independent financing. (Other dealers had offered 4.9% Audi financing on the same vehicle, but given the small amount I'm financing, this wasn't enough to matter vs. their price differences.)

Invoice: $35,953 (-$0)
    Paid: $35,558 (-$395)
    TMV: $37,119 (+$1,166)
    MSRP: $38,735 (+$2,782)
    After tax and registration: $37,421.90 (not comparable across states)

Next-best bids were $150 under invoice, $100 over, $350 over.

My yardstick for comparing quotes (since the options packages varied) was purchase price + finance charges vs. purchase price + finance charges for Edmunds TMV.

If I had it to do over, I would've either: Added the invoice and TMV prices to my letter (which simply asked for a final, best bid) -OR- negotiated directly on the phone, playing dealership quotes against each other. Both of these might've prevented dealers from making ridiculously bad offers.

There you have it. Enjoy!

g!
  • ayyateayyate Member Posts: 53
    Very complete explanation. Thanks for going to the trouble. It sounds as if you may (?)have been able to squeeze out a bit more, but probably not much. All in all, I think you did well.

I am sure you know this, but now that you have completed the deal, you must not look back. If you continue watching other prices paid, sooner or later, someone will have paid less.

Hope you enjoy the car.
  • orbitwhiteorbitwhite Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I am looking into a certified pre-own A3 to take advantage of the extended warranty. When search through the inventory of certified pre-own A3 on audiusa.com, the price is not much different than a new vehicle. What is the bargaining range for pre-owned vehicles? Is there any gauge like TMV for pre-owns?
  • raycarraycar Member Posts: 3
    If someone who works for Audi Finance ever reads this forum can you tell us when they will develop a decent leasing program for the A3. A friend of mine works in the finance group at GM and he told me that leasing programs are set many months in advance. So if someone actually knows please share with the rest of us.
    Thx
  • jpfivejpfive Member Posts: 37
    They do have a good degree of latitude. Pre-owned pricing is pretty off base at luxury dealers. Volvo seems ok, but Lexus, BMW, and Audi are out of whack.

Check the "retail" pricing on kbb.com
  • middlp23middlp23 Member Posts: 11
    Hi...I'm almost 16 and ive been looking for a car to get, would anyone reccomend this car for me? How would it fair as a daily driver? What are any inherent problems I would have to deal with? Whats reliability like?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    Hi, middlp23

Since this is a pricing discussion, you might get more response by posting in the general Audi A3 discussion..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• slackinormackislackinormacki Member Posts: 2
    I was offered 1500$ off MSRP for a 2007 A3 as part of Military Pricing, custom configured any way I want. What do you guys think of this?

It would be 26,820 + Destination + any options - $1500 delivered (well tax and tag are separate of course) for the 2.0T with DSG.

Also if anyone wants a copy of the MSRP figures for all the base 2007 a3 and options I could probably post it on the web.
  • nyaudimenyaudime Member Posts: 8
    A3 2.0T DSG
    Premium
    Cold weather
    Metallic paint

Located at a West coast dealer.

MSRP: $30,110
    Selling price: $24,990

Only catch is the car was "the" test drive car and has 900 miles. The warranty was not punched, so it is valid for 5 years, but only 49K miles. I am a bit suspicious of this. What does everyone think of the 900 miles?
    My local dealer is advertising $3K off MSRP on a new A3.. For only 900 miles, an extra $2K is a lot more off.... more than a dealer will usually offer..

The 900 miles wouldn't bother me.. but, I'd want an independent mechanic/body shop to check that car over to make sure it hasn't been wrecked.. I'm a bit suspicious, as well..

If it all checks out, it sounds like a great deal.. By the way, the warranty is 4yr/50K, not 5yr/50K (pretty sure).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I have the vin number and it checked out as having no history of repairs, etc. Is this enough, or do I still need someone to check it over?
  • lessavy5lessavy5 Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 A3 3.2 with 5K miles on it (xenon, cold, light silver, open sky). Sticker is $37,750, Invoice is: Edmunds and KBB--> $35,057. The dealer is offering in the vicinity of $33,000. I'd like to think that I could get more than $2,000 off of invoice for a gently used, warranty-already-started (about 7 months ago), outgoing 2006 model here at the end of the summer. Is $30,000 appropriate? $31,000? My "walking" price would be $31,500. Also, Edmunds lists the first year depreciation at just over $8,000. Taking half of that off invoice puts the car @ $31,000. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    If it is still a new car, Carfax won't have anything on it...

You might start out by asking them straight out if the car has ever had body work...

It might be a great deal... you just have to be careful..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ak496ak496 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a new 2006 A3 2.0T base trim, no options, black in color with a walk out price of $23,800. This is figure translates to $1,300 under invoice and transportation which seems like a good deal to me...

I am wondering about the extended warranty for 3,500 bucks which adds 3 years to the 4 year factory and an additional 50K miles bumper to bumper, and is transferable one time as to help with resale value. Does this seem like a good option to take?
    Seems like you got a good deal. I bought:

2006 A3 2.0T DSG
    Premium package
    Cold weather package
    Metallic paint

MSRP: $30,085
    Selling price: $24,886
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    Bay Area dealer is offering a 2007 for $250 over invoice. Is this a decent deal?
  • luckymess7luckymess7 Member Posts: 3
    i bought a 2007 for 400 over invoice about 3 weeks ago in Pasadena. i thought that was a decent deal. 250 over is even better.
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    Which dealer?

What is the out the door price? You have to be careful they're not sneaking in some fees or making some fees higher than normal.

What is the MSRP and options and what is the OTD price?

I'm surprised they would cut it so low for a 2007. For 2006, understandable since it's the end of that model year. But for 2007? And they really encourage you to buy the A3 rather than lease it, don't they? The reverse of the A4.
  • bigpapidobigpapido Member Posts: 18
    Hi, can you please tell me which dealer you got this deal from?
    Any major changes? MSRP Up? Down? Major equipment changes?

Still S-line only for the Quattro model?
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    MSRP's are up a little. Edmunds actually has the 07 A3 pricing in their "new cars" section.

For 07 there's an S-line pkg offered for the 2.0t. The Audio pkg. also includes sat radio, instead of being a stand-alone option. There's also a Technology pkg that combines bi-xenon with self-dimming mirrors and Bluetooth connectivity.

That's about it. My local Audi dealers have the 07 brochures on-hand.
  • luckymess7luckymess7 Member Posts: 3
    also, 2006's have free scheduled maintenance included. That's nixed in the 2007s. You have to purchase extended maintenance if you want it. I think it's around $750 or so. I just bought a 2007 2.0t w/ S-Line Sport package a few weeks ago. love it thus far.
  • wdrauchwdrauch Member Posts: 22
    Glad to hear you love you 07 2.0t S-line. I just ordered one myself.

Concerning the maintenance program for 07 my dealer told me the 5k service was covered and one can buy the "Audi Care" plan for $650 which covers maintenance every 10k miles after that. He said that for A3 leases Audi ups the residual 1% if you buy the Audi Care.
  • needadeal2needadeal2 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get that deal of $24,886? I'll assume that is not including title, ect. That is ~$3000 off invoice. I'm looking at the same package, '06 in manual transmission.....but am VERY envious of your deal. But thus far, best offer is $26,600.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    2006 A3 DSG, with premium, sunroof and they claim sport (thought it was one or the other?) from an Audi dealer. It's got 12000 miles and it's certified to 100k miles.

The one bad thing: Venetian Pearl paint job.

They just offered me the car for 25k OTD. Yes, OTD. That's 23k sale price then.

Too good to pass up, even with the color?

*****Nevermind - dealer wanted an immediate answer or he would send it to auction. I passed. *****
    thanks for info.

Any idea as to what percentage of all A3 sales are strictly S-line format?

Any 3.2 immediately falls into S-line catagory, so that leaves 2.0T the deciding factor.

If the majority of sales are S-line, perhaps Audi should just drop the other shoe and bring the S3 over?
  • stevevwstevevw Member Posts: 2
    i offered 29,900 for a :

A3 2.0
    DSG
    LAVa pearl
    cold weather
    premium package

they did not accept my offer because i wanted the sirius thrown in. am i asking to much? they let me walk out over this and i was ready to buy right then. should i take it @ 29,900 and just do aftermarket sirius?

THanks for your help
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    walk out, stay out, and let them call you back in within a week. If they don't SCREW Audi!
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    --- or find another Audi dealer you can deal with! :shades:
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    ok..I'm going to talk with a couple dealers on an 07 A3 approx. sticker is $31,500.........how much below sticker is to be expected on these new 07's...anyone got any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
    don
  • drdrew138drdrew138 Member Posts: 1
    2007 S-Line, Lava Gray, OpenSky, $30,325 before any taxes or fees. OTD was 33k.
  • kodervillekoderville Member Posts: 15
    Lonestar...Do you know which dealer offered 250 over invoice in the BayArea?
    Im really thinking about getting the A3
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    The best way to buy A3s is buying a slightly used one on Autotrader.com or Cars.com. In Atlanta there's a few under 10,000 miles (as low as 2,700 miles!) and they're thousands below invoice.
  • 1016rosa1016rosa Member Posts: 10
    Lonestar..Do you know which dealer in the Bay Area that offered $250 over invoice....I am trying to purchase a new A3 and would like to contact that dealer...
  • th3sp3ckth3sp3ck Member Posts: 1
    I have started looking into an A3. The TMV calculator on Edmunds isn’t showing much room for negotiating:

2.0, Premium Package, Cold Weather, Pearl Paint:
    MSRP: $30,340
    Invoice: $28,125
    "What Others Are Paying" price is: $29,837

It seems that there isn't a lot of room for negotiating and I’m curious if that’s consistent with what others have found and what might really be expected?
  • longfotolongfoto Member Posts: 1
    Wanting some feedback on this price from a local dealership.
    2007 A3 3.2 Open sky, cold weather package. Invoice $33919.
    The dealer wants $750 over invoice + 500 to get the car from another dealership (He doesn't have the car I want).
    Total price $35169
    Edmunds TMV = $36209 for my area.
    what have others paid? thank you.
  • seanwestseanwest Member Posts: 6
    Trying to find a Audi dealership in Northern Virgina or Maryland that will give me somewhere even close to invoice.
    Any ideas?
  • percythejeeppercythejeep Member Posts: 2
    I looked at A3s for at least 2 months before I bought one. I found that if you go to the regional marketing web sites (San Diego Audi Dealers, Los Angeles Audi Dealers, etc.) and enter exactly what you are looking for, their Internet Sales people will contact you with the best deals. For whatever reason, these people offered their best deals up front - unlike visiting the showrooms where the standard back and forth took place.

The deal I made was this: 2007 A3 3.2, Light Silver, Tech Pkg, Sirius, Premium Gray Leather, and 18" wheels - sticker of $38,500 and I bought it for $35,500 which I think was $500 over invoice.

This was in Sept 06 so the 07 model hadn't been out very long. I'm sure there may have been better deals, but there were only three 3.2s in the entire state of California at the time and this may have been the only 1 that didn't have Open Sky. Considering that, I was happy with the deal.

That was 6 months and 10,000 miles ago. The car has been an absolute joy to drive and own since then - not even a hiccup. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that.
    My fiancee is serious about the A3 but given the pricing, we're looking for a used 2006 2.0T.

Glad to hear you're having good luck with the car - returning to VW/Audi scares the bejezus out of me.
    I think Audi has made a decided and concerted effort to separate themselves from VW in terms of having poor reliability.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • msurbrowmsurbrow Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2007 A3 2.0t DSG Premium.

Dealer is insisting that the invoice price on edmunds and other sites is incorrect because there is a $495 dealer prep and advertising fee that all dealers in the Boston area charge.

I can find nothing on this fee, and I'm guessing the dealer is just trying to add more profit to the deal. Though the sales person I am talking with has offered to show me the invoice for "every A3 in stock" in order to prove to me that the fee is valid.

Also, dealer is charging about $385 for registration & doc fees, which I also think is high?
    My suggestion - check around as it's easy to find a used 2006 A3 with low miles for around 22-23k. No sense paying 8-9k in depreciation when you can get a lightly used A3 with the remainder of the free maintenance warranty.

We picked up a 2006 with dsg, premium, xm for 22.5k last week. 12 miles on the odometer.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    You could also try to come up here to New Hamster. There is a fairly large Audi dealer in Nashua on Route 3.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The $500 Port Dock/Dealer Prep/Advertising fee is a conspiracy I've verified for all of the dealers in Southern California. Now that I hear they are doing it in Boston, at least I know it is a nation wide deal that all Audi dealers have agreed to charge for. Therefore, it is semi-legitimate; though I fear next Audi will add on charges for electricity useage, welding machine depreciation, worker's retirement, and worker's bonuses! :mad: :sick:
    so said Consumers Union for 2007, which is a complement to Audi given most of their cars are below average (as are nearly all VW's).

Hopefully Audi can get even better.
This discussion has been closed.