Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A3 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

12345679»

Comments

• JLaw012JLaw012 Member Posts: 11
    Riles, are you trying to purchase a brand new 09 A3?? if you go on AutoTrader i see many barely used 2008's for sale for in the low 20's many of them at dealerships within 100 miles of edison.

I got a brand new 2008 A3 Premium Package and Sky Roof for 25k last summer. i looked on autotrader and cars.com the key is patience. i called dealerships within 200 miles of my home telling them i was a serious buyer who wanted to buy NOW. Telling them how much you are willing to pay is up to you but NEVER NEVER go with MSRP that is an artificial number that has NOTHING to do with the actual price of the car. Go to consumer reports online and look at their car buying tips, they also have a service where you pay like 15 dollars and they will send you the actual value or dealer cost of the car, THAT is the number you should be negotiating.
    And if you walk into a NJ dealership ready to buy a car and they know your serious and will not budge, fine, guess what they are losing a sale and you are on your way to BUYING a car from someone who actually wants to sell cars. YOU have the power, patience is key my friend. i could go on all day, but it took me 7 months to finally get the price i wanted, but i was on a tight budget.

Personal Example: i walked onto a Volvo dealership looking at the C30, told him i was interested in the C30 and A3 and i was a NOW buyer. i gave him a low ballish price range i was looking for, 5 min later he came back and told me he would drop the price on a c30 $3,500 right there. Anyway, i could go on all day about stuff, but also go with a credit union for financing, don't fiance with the LIEnaciers at the car dealerships if they give you a good price on the car they will screw you with their lame financing. i got 5.5 apr at a credit union. Good luck and be FIRM.
  • thewinegirlthewinegirl Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I am so sorry if this is not the right place for this post. I am buying my first Audi and really, this is the first time I have bought a car on my own. It is a USED A3-2007. It is light silver w/ black leather interior. It is the S-Line and has Open Sky with 23,000 miles but is MANUAL (that is what my husband INSISTS he wants). I am buying it through a dealer but not an Audi dealer so it is not CPO. The offer is $20,900. Am I getting a good deal?? Should I keep looking? We are a young military family and just need a good, fun car with a back seat so we have room for our new baby. We just sold our Saturn Sky (for less then Edmunds private party unfortunately) but we really needed a bigger car. We found the experience of looking at California Audi dealerships so frustrating and expensive.

Thank you!!
    I have seen any where from 18,525 - $26,875 online classifieds for the V6 s-line. I would say that if this is there first offer that there is always room to go lower, go to consumer reports and look up the actual value of the car. some if it will depend on if it from a dealer or private seller. Private Sellers usually cost less, but make sure if it is a private seller you do a CarFax Report but you probably already know that.....Good Luck.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi musickitty. You can look up the dealer invoice price of the exact A3 model that you are interested in right here at Edmunds.com. Here's a link to the A3 pricing page for your convenience: Audi A3 Pricing.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • LilGreenLilGreen Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a new '09 A3. The offer I have is for the following:

09 Meteor Gray S-line 2.0T
    Open Sky
    Convenience Package

MSRP $34,650
    Invoice 32,239
    Offer: 31,675 (includes $825 destination fee & $400 dealer fee, does not include tax)

Does this sound like a good deal when we're this close to the 2010's coming out?
  • sbarbossasbarbossa Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking at a new '09 and I'm curious too.

09 Ibis white with black interior
    2.0 quattro
    Open sky
    Cold weather package
    Convenience package
    Premium package

MSRP: $36225
    Offer: $34,654 out the door, tax (7%) and all additional fees included

Again, is this a good deal?
    No, its not a good deal. For one thing you should NEVER negotiate MSRP, it is a made up number and has zero to do with the price of the car to the dealer. my suggestion is go online to Consumer Reports, you can pay a small fee and can they will send you the actual price of the car to the dealer, THAT is the price you should negotiate. it also gives you tips on negotiating and dealer tactics. it was very helpful when i bought a new 2008.
  • rhyflarerhyflare Member Posts: 2
    How long did it take you to get that price? Its OTD right?
  • sbarbossasbarbossa Member Posts: 3
    I did indeed get all of the information from Consumer Reports regarding the A3. CR (which I'm sure you know) gives a, "Bottom Line Price" and you're supposed to add dealer invoice for packages and options. They say that 1-5% over that price is reasonable.

Therefore, the MSRP on the vehicle is $36,225
    The dealer invoice (according to CR) is $33,751
    CRs "Bottom Line Price" that they say to work from is $31,251 and the deal I'm looking at is $31,751, less than 2% above the best CR says that I can do for the vehicle.

Of course, tax and motor vehicle fees are extra, but you can't get out of that....

The information from Consumer Reports proved invaluable in knowing what was reasonable to expect.

I feel like I did okay but was wondering if I ahould have pushed for a better price with 2010s coming out.
    I would think you could of gotten a better deal with the 2010 coming out, that is how i got a good deal on my 2008, i got it when the 2009's were coming out and i got a manual lava gray open sky premium package leather for 25,000 + tax, all fee's included. I know your getting the cold package on top of it but besides the fender i don't think there is much of a difference from the 08 and 09's. Anyway, i have had my car for 1 year now and have 9500 miles on it, no mechanical problems but watch the rails on your open sky, one on my car popped up and i took it to the deal and they added more "clips to the rail and 3 months later it popped up again so they replaced the whole rail with more clips. I have heard that this is a problem with the open sky.

I have not had this problem yet but CR said there can be brake problems and Audio problems. And i also heard the open sky shade system will stop clipping when you try to shut it. Anyway, so far i really love the car it is really fun to drive hope you enjoy yours. Cheers.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    jlaw one aspect of your post is incorrect. In fact, nobody can legitimately provide you the actual price of the car to the dealer - that info is private contractual information.
    So perhaps you are unaware that the invoice price is a 'made up number' just like MSRP.
    But of course, 'invoice' is a better baseline to use when negotiating a new car price from consumer viewpoint.
  • bostonfredbostonfred Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have information on prices paid for an A-3 TDI? I am looking at an A-3 Premium automatic with the convenience and cold-weather package. Any information would be appreciated!
    Of course i am aware that the invoice and MSRP is an irrelevant and made up price of the car,Consumer reports has the typical prices dealerships pay for the cars which is the price you should be negotiating.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    Consumer reports doesn't know the price the dealerships pay for new cars either; they too have no way to know private contractual information.

Also to be clear, i don't consider msrp/invoice prices to be irrelevant - each is a good reference point to consider, along with the possibility that the dealer is paying thousands below "invoice price" to the manufacturer.
    Sometimes the dealer-to-manufacturer price is called the "dealer memo price".

Anyway, it is good that you are an educated consumer, Johnny Law! Cheers...
    Consumer Reports offers a Bottom Line — the price where you should start negotiating (including current national rebates, unadvertised dealer incentives, and holdbacks).
    Dealer Invoice Price (provided by the manufacturer to the dealer).
    Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) — what the dealer wants you to pay.
    Invoice and MSRP Prices for all factory-installed options & packages.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    Gee... we have all that here, as well.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jerseygirl12jerseygirl12 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are also looking at the A3 TDI with the cold weather package,
    we were quoted $34,000 not sure of the exact amount.
    We were concerned about repair costs, have you ever owned an Audi prior, someone told us they are very expensive to repair?
    we are also looking at the Jetta stationwagon tdi, it is less expensive but really the same car, have you looked at that?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I've gone more than 57,000 miles now and my costs have been minimal.

New Battery at 3 years and one month old = $100 + labor
    New wipers = $50
    New Tires = varies

And they had to replace my AC compressor under warranty, the center armrest/cup holder assembly in the rear seat, and the center stack lid, all under warranty.

Not bad at all, in fact, quite good.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • coordinatorcoordinator Member Posts: 2
    Have been talking to an LA area dealer about a 2007 A3 S-line with 11,000 miles, Skyroof, auto for $22,000. It is a lease return. How does it stack up? Any feedback.
  • ksmith016ksmith016 Member Posts: 2
    anyone has the updated audi 2010 invoice pricing guide?

I have a copy below, but w/out the pricing info...
    http://www.ecodetuning.com/gallery/B8TSIAPR/reduced/OG2010AudiExclusive.pdf

i checked edmunds for the 2010 a3 and the msrp pricing listed is not the same as it's listed at audiusa.com <-- this is what makes it's frustrating. so how does edmunds get the invoice/msrp pricing info?
  • miamibobmiamibob Member Posts: 8
    locale dealer is talk straight list price on TDI A3. Anyone else looking? What are these Tdi selling for compared to either list or invoice. I'm in Miami and had purchased a prior A3 for invoice at the change over between 06 and 07 in may, 2007. there is a new sales team who appear to be jerks....but they are just so close to my office.

They said that there just aren't TDI's available and they want full list based upon the short supply. To save $3000, i'll buy in atlanta and drive it back to miami.

Where are they selling A3 TDI discounted???????? Or will Audi push over to VW--the TDI sport wagon is sweet, but just not as comfortable as the Audi.
  • hattrihattri Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at A3 TDI as well here in Northern California area. All the dealers are out of stock, taking deposits on the cars coming in. Nobody is giving a discount, selling it at full MSRP.
  • birdman98birdman98 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the Philadelphia Area looking for a 2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus with NAV, Cold Weather, and Convenience. MSRP is $38,020. Current offer (and first) from dealer is $36,500, about $400 over invoice.

As evidenced by the activity in this forum, there is not a lot of transactional information on this car right now.

I'm considering countering at $36k flat. Does that sound reasonable?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Reasonable but bet they won't move. I'd do the deal if they throw in the audicare.
    500 isn't much if the car meets all your needs. Audi doesn't do much on the a3 -- you can deal better on the a4. Depends what you like.
    Your target should be the invoice price. Normally i would say that you are under shooting and that you should be able to get the car for less but the TDI factor might make negotiation a little tougher. Have you been shopping around outside the area at other dealers? having walk away power would be good to have. You know you could get the 2.0 for about 10,000 less and you would probably be saving money in the end even though the TDI get's better mpg. Anyway, good hunting.
  • aaasupr1aaasupr1 Member Posts: 3
    Tried to get one it was a bit tough. Tried to get a used 2008 with 25000 mi for 23000. This was not the TDI, but it was a quattro. Dealer came down to 24500 but would not budge. What really killed the deal was the extended warranty for this vehicle. It was 3200 dollars, so you all better reconsider buying this one used.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Extended warranties are a rip off whether they are 3,200 dollars or 32 cents. It doesn't matter. Unless it's from the manufacturer, it's probably disreputable.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • miamibobmiamibob Member Posts: 8
    The beginning june, 2010, my locale dealer wanted full sticker for their last exec demo, then i was out of the country and bogged down for about 6 weeks.previously pines audi had stock and very good pricing--500 over dealer invoice
    Everything was sold out and the new 2011's were coming in. i am still drivng my 2006 A3.

I would like to buy A3 TDI prem+ My locale dealer was not customer friendly--different sales-manager breaking balls for every penny and wouldn't trade out
    with another dealer. I will buy anywhere within 200 miles of miami for the right price.....orlando, pines, coral springs

Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.