Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 BMW X5

Comments

• thompjbrthompjbr Member Posts: 11
    Your welcome! I have used John Armstrong for years. He is wonderful.

Thanks,
    Wayne Thompson
  • e90sede90sed Member Posts: 15
    This vehicle is suppossed to be pre-wired for trailer lighting.
    Has anyone found the pigtail that goes from the auto to the trailer connection??
    All the wiring and such came with the hitch kit I bought from Bavarian Autosport. It went in very easily and is specifically designed for the X5. The kit came with the factory mating plugs, RV to 4 pin adapter, and the relay for trailer brakes. All of the wiring mated right up to the connections which are located in the spare tire well.
  • anon3anon3 Member Posts: 147
    If you order an X5 without the 3rd row seat, the area where the seat would have been contains a spare tire. The early descriptions show a storage compartment, but my X5 4.8i has a spare tire there.
    I have read that a top of the line iS version is being planned for the new X5 (along with an X6), but it will not be available until late in the 2008 model year after a new engine first appears in the new 7 series.

One site claimed that the new engine is supposed to be a turbo-charged V-8. This kinda makes sense because it follows the pattern of old 4.6is/4.8is. BMW will not use the 500 hp engines from the current M5/M6 because torque and power are produced at rpm levels that are too high for an SUV. (That's why the old 400 hp M5 engine was not used in the 4.6is/4.8is.)

The re-designed Porsche Cayenne turbo will be available spring 2007. In any case, there will be no X5 iS model until at least the 2008 model year.

But details are very sketchy at this point. Has anyone heard anything similar about engines and delivery dates?
  • oniaconiac Member Posts: 13
    Was planning on trading my Lexus for a used 03 or newer Carrera but my wife wants to keep the LExus since it's already paid- off. She will use my Lexus & will trade her PIlot instead but we can't have 2 cars w/ kids in the household so I need a sporty SUV. Will trade her 04 Pilot for either of the 2.

BMW looks better but Porsche is a bit faster & seems to handle a tad bit better. Interior of Porsche is better but BMW is more roomier & is more family oriented. Price on both are the same. What do you folks think ??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Yes, the engineers at BMW have improved the iDrive so that regular humanoids can use it."

Driving -- and Deserving -- the 2007 BMW X5
  • bornoborno Member Posts: 77
    In the same boat, need suv to tow and for the winter, I'd lean towards Porsche for the same reasons you mentioned, but overall price to own is higher for porsche.
  • dianegdianeg Member Posts: 6
    I have just received delivery of a 2007 X5 3.0 with the standard front seats & I find them uncomfortable..too hard especially after several miles I couldn't adjust them to feel comfortable for very long...my husband agrees with me...my daughter-in-law just got a 2007 328 coupe with the sport package & finds her seats much more comfortable...I don't have the sport package...I considered ordering the 20-way Multi-contour front seats but my 2002 X-5 we traded for my new one didn't seem so uncomfortable...my husband also traded his 2002 525 & it wasn't uncomfortable...I have been driving a 2004 Range Rover since last August & it certainly is not uncomfortable...How are the 20-Way contour seats...are they more comfortable?
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    Hi dianeg,

I have the 20-way contour seats in my 7-series and they are extremely comfortable. Many ways you can conform it for your comfort. They are pretty amazing. From the test drive of the X5 sport package seats, I'd say those seats are comfortable, snug and hold you in place. They are different though than the 20-way contour seats..just depends on your needs. If I were you I'd try and change yours out and get one or the other as I felt the same as you on the standard seats. If cost were not an issue...I'd get the 20-way.
  • eschengescheng Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.

Has anyone out there ordered the new USB iPod port with their 2007 X5? I've had my X5 for two months now and love it. But, the iPod port doesn't work right. It switches to FM after playing for a few minutes. My local dealership has no answers so far. Has anyone else experienced this and knows a solution?

Dianeg, I love my 20-way seats. My X5 was delayed because I wanted those seats, and they are worth it. I traded in a 2004 330xi with the regular seats- they weren't too bad, but my new seats are great!

I'm new to this site and really like your discussions here! BTW, I have the 3.0si with premium, cold weather, tech, rear climate, heated rear seats, 20-way seats and comfort access.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    A friend of mine just got popped for a new $300 RUNFLAT tire on his 4 month old 2007 X5. He hit a nail and destroyed the tire.

When it's time for new tires, MUST he use RUNFLATS or can he get something "normal" like a good set of Michelins?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    He hit a nail and destroyed the tire.

I'm curious. How big was the nail?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I don't know. I think it was more a matter of WHERE the nail punctured the tire than the size of the nail itself. The tire remained driveable ("run flat") but was ruined long term.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Any runflat that you drive on is ruined..

So, if you have a puncture, your only choice is a tow bill or a new tire..

Other than gaining the option of driving the car to a different location before changing the tire, I've yet to see the advantage to runflats.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree, hence my original question: Instead of spending $300 to replace ONE of them, can "regular" tires (Michelin Energy??) be installed. You can do 4 of them for about $800. If it were me, I'd probably just trash the "runflats" right now and apply that $300 toward the $800 "no run flat" Michelins. But it was an emergency and I think he already paid for the new runflat.

But again I ask: Can "normal" tires be installed on the new X5?
    I haven't heard specifically about the X5, but other BMW owners have switched out.. on 3-series, MINIs, etc, etc..

I can't see any reason why you couldn't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 2007x52007x5 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get a hitch installed on my '07 X5. The dealer is really annoying me. They did the cut-out and the trim cover, but have kept the vehicle for a couple of days because they can't get the hitch. They want me to pick it up and come back next week for the installation of the hitch itself. Now, I have installed hitches before on Suburbans and the like, so I assume that the tricky part, doing the cutout neatly, is already done. I'm thinking of just buying the hitch from etrailer.com and installing it myself. Could you provide some pointers? Here's the link to the hitch I am looking at, including an instruction pdf. Any suggestions or direction you could provide will be appreciated. http://www.etrailer.com/productdetail.asp?partno=13077&vehicleid=9869&yearfrom=2007&h=
  • us_matrixus_matrix Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

I am thinking to get 07 X5 w/Third row seat. But i was wondering is it safe and legal to put car seat on third row seat? I went to dealer to check but i did not find any hinge
    on thrid row seat (That is suppose to be standard of any 2002 model year or newer)

Thanks.
    Mugen
  • peteandkendalpeteandkendal Member Posts: 2
    One of the things that I like best on the new X5 is the seven seat option. Does anyone know if it is possible and/or easy to add the third row of seating to a 2007 X5 that did not come from the factory with the 3rd row??? Long story why this is necessary, but this is key to me getting this car.

Thanks in advance for you replies,

Peter
    I have been driving a 2007 X5 with active contour seats and the ventilation package since December 2006. The contour seats are extremely comfortable. I specifically ordered these seats because I had them in other BMWs and loved them. Note the following:

1. The contour/comfort seats have better NHTSA safety and whiplash ratings than the base BMW seats. The contour seat backs have more adjustments that help a driver to adjust the headrest right up to the back of your head while driving. The seat backs are higher to support your shoulders and they pivot forward/back at the center point, which helps you make the seat conform to your body contours. Higher seat backs that support your shoulders and closer head rest positioning are important safety factors for whiplash and rear collisions according to Consumer Reports, the NHTSA, etc.

2. While I love the contour seats, I question the value of the active (massage) and ventilation optional packages. Choosing ventilated seats limits your choice of interior color and leather because it requires a special leather that can be perforated. When I ordered the car, ventilated seats were only available in black or tan. Also consider that when you sit on the seats, your body blocks the ventilation holes and you really get very little air flow. The massage and ventilation functions are nice to have, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't care about purchase price.

The contour seats, however, are absolutely worth the money in my opinion. A good seat is very important to the driving experience: it affects your communication with the car and the road (especially driving conditions at the rear wheels), driver comfort/fatigue, ability to control the car in turns, etc.
    I used tirerack.com to learn which tires can be used on my X5. I had a 2005 X5 4.8is with 20 inch wheels and OEM low profile, run-flat tires that are useless in the snow. It took less than 10 minutes to find several options for replacement tires and wheels that are compatible with my X5. I bought a set of non-run-flat, all season tires that were pre-mounted on 18 inch wheels and they worked great (even though the vehicle shipped with run-flat performance tires.)

The correct sizing of the tires and the performance ratings are more important than whether they are run-flat. Just make sure you have a functioning spare tire if you swap out your run flats.

I have heard from several friends that run-flat tires yield a bumpier ride because the side walls are reinforced and stiffer. The ride improved after switching to standard tires. They had BMW and Lexus vehicles.
    Hi escheng,

If your dealer can't fix the problem with the USB controls, you may be able to use your iPod in auxiliary mode. Check under the arm rest to see if your car has an auxiliary stereo input (3.5mm single stereo input) in addition to the USB connector. If it does, you can buy a cable for $10 (from stores like BestBuy) that connects an iPod to the auxiliary input on a stereo. Select Auxiliary on the car's stereo and connect the iPod using the cable. You will have to operate the iPod using its controls and use an external charger, but it will play through your stereo and will sound just as good as the USB connection.

I use this method because 2007 X5s that shipped before April 2007 did not have the USB port to control an iPod through the iDrive or stereo.
  • achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    Any runflat that you drive on is ruined..

So, if you have a puncture, your only choice is a tow bill or a new tire..

Other than gaining the option of driving the car to a different location before changing the tire, I've yet to see the advantage to runflats.

regards,

kyfdx

I have had my RFT repaired twice. The key is having enough pressure in the tire to avoid the side-wall taking majority of the load. I just changed out my OEM tires after 28K miles.
    Well.. Although I didn't write it that way, what I meant was.... If your tire is flat, and you drive on it, it's ruined...

Sure, if it holds enough air pressure to get you to the tire shop, then it's just like any other tire.. If the sidewall is okay, then you can repair a puncture.

The difference really isn't in the run-flat part... It's in the no spare tire part. If your run-flat tire is flat, you don't have the option of putting the spare on. It's either a tow bill, or a new tire.

Actually, assuming that a run-flat tire would ride and handle just like a gets-flat-tire, then I'd love to have them.... as long as I still had a spare. That would be the best of all worlds... a CHOICE!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    Actually, that is what I have done.
    I bought a spare and left that in my garage. The RFT on both occasions has allowed me to drive back home to change out my tire.
    I have also noticed that the solid sidewall helps with the slow depletion of tire pressure as it supports part of the load.
    Yeah.. I can't imagine not having a back-up spare, at least at home.. That was a good idea!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    My new X5 4.8 picks up my new cell phone with the bluetooth but it doesn't pick up the telephone numbers in my phonebook so I have to voice dial after fumbling through looking for the numbers. By the way, the cell phone is a brand new LG Trax, which just came out. Any suggestions on how to download the telephone numbers? thanks
    If your cell numbers are saved on a SIM card, then bluetooth won't grab them...

You have to have the numbers saved to the phone, itself..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kabbalahkabbalah Member Posts: 58
    I tried that today & it still doesn't work. Any other suggestions?
    Not really... My wife's car has the bluetooth, but she rarely uses it, as it runs down the battery on her phone so quickly..

Try asking here: Bluetooth Technology

If no luck there, try here: Bluetooth and the 3-Series

Even though that one is 3-series specific, they might be able to give you some BMW-related tips.

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• harry28harry28 Member Posts: 29
    While shopping for a new 2007 X-5, a pre-owned salesperson got my ear about the earlier models, '04-'06. He was tauting how much better they were.

Any opinions on the older ('06) model vs the newer '07 X-5?

Thank you
    A BMW used car sales person was promoting used X5 vehicles? There's a surprise.

The old X5 was a nice vehicle (I had 4 of them). But I would not choose one over the new X5 unless I was looking for a bargain basement price. These forums have hundreds of posts on the improvements in the new X5 over the old model. It would be worth a look at the older posts if you're considering a purchase.
  • kpeterskpeters Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 bmw x5, and the last two weeks here in the Seattle area, we've been hit with snow storm after snow storm and not its icy. I've had a few instances, where I am going up a hill and then i start spinning and cant get up! Then, I was going down a hill, but had stopped and started slidding. I am just not sure why I am slipping, is it the tires (19")all seasson OR My driving?
    If i am going down a hill and slip i usually just downship and that works. But going up hill I dont think that works??
    If you have any helpful tips or experience with this please let me know. I was just hoping a 75k car would do better on snow/ice. thanks!
    Hello,
    I've lived in Colorado my whole life. I have owned a '94 318I, 95 318TI, '02 325XI and currently own a '03 X5 and a 2008 535XI Wagon. I have always put snow tires on all my Bimmers for winter and they are fantastic in the snow. Even my 318I and Ti, which were rear-wheel drive only went very well in the snow. DO NOT be fooled by "All Season" tires for winter/snow/ice driving. They are not good in these cold and freezing conditions. I buy combo wheels &snow tires for winters on both cars. This makes it very easy to swap out and in the end you are not out any extra money as you are not running either sets all year round. It's simply the initial cost.
    VERY IMPORTANT...Also, get into your X5 Owners Manual and read about the DSC and DTC traction settings. There are certain instances where you will need to turn these functions OFF in slippery/low traction conditions. Your manual and/or your dealer will also know.
    More importantly on the snow tires they help you to STOP faster/better in the snow. Stopping and turning is GREATLY enhanced with these style tires in the snow. I have run Blizzaks and Michelin Alpins and have had great luck with them both. Worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck,
    Wayne
  • jeffaljeffal Member Posts: 28
    kpeters,

The price of the car has nothing to do with how well it performs in snow/ice. The tires you have on the car are the most important thing. All-season tires can only do so much in snow/ice. Switch to a good set of winter tires and you'll instantly see a difference in how the car behaves.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    So my Dad and his 2 (1.5 year old) Great Danes are driving to work in their 2007 X5 3.0si on a snowy, slushy morning here in the suburbs of New York City. The LOW COOLANT warning comes on. My Dad pulls over to change direction and head to WIDE WORLD OF CARS BMW where he got the truck from. He pulls over and the warning goes away. 10 minutes later while driving on the Tappan Zee Bridge, he gets another warning that says LOW COOLANT, ENGINE IS OVERHEATING, PLEASE DRIVE AT MODERATE SPEEDS. Well since he was going 30 mph (due to the inclement weather), he figured he could get across the bridge, pull over, and call roadside assistance. Slowly the car started slowing itself down, bucking, and then STOPPED! It stopped in the middle of the bridge.

The first truck from the New York State Thruway Authority comes out and says he's going to push my Dad to the other side of the bridge. Well, the car won't turn on and the transmission won't shift into neutral. Next comes the tow truck. No good. Then they call the flatbed in... they can't figure out how to get the X5 into Neutral!

At this point he called me and I was on my way to work (I work for my Dad) in my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH. He tells me the whole story and asks if I can come and get him. Him yes, but there is no way 2 Great Danes are fitting in my Prelude. So I turn around and get my wife's X3 (good thing nyccarguy jr. has no school today hence mrs. nyccarguy has no work). I cross the bridge and make my way back toward the tollbooth.

They yanked the truck onto the flatbed. Getting the truck into neutral was a ridiculous process. I read in the owner's manual to take the mat out of the cupholders, twist a cap off, then get a tool from the back (by the spare tire) to release the transmission.

I load up my Dad and the dogs into my wife's X3 and send them on their way. They unload me off one flat bed and put me on another. I go with the tow truck driver to WIDE WORLD OF CARS BMW.

Turns out my Dad drove over a piece of wood that got lodged into his radiator. A few other things under the truck were damamged. SO far we are talking about $3300 in parts alone and they aren't done pulling the truck apart.

WIDE WORLD OF CARS service department stepped up big time for us. Our regualr service advisor wasn't in today, but I was taken care of and they even gave me a loaner (328i Coupe w/ X drive). I can't say enough good things about how well I was treated.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    All I can say is "Wow!" Nice story.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    So the radiator, condensor, lower front bumper, and some other juicy parts have to be replaced on my Dad's '07 X5 to the tune of around $5000.

I can't believe the insurance company. Our service advisor sent them pictures and a detailed estimate that included parts and labor for both the service department and the body shop. For whatever reason the body shop labor is less expensive than the labor in the service department. The insurance company called the service advisor and said they want the body shop to do all the work on the car! Is that unbelievable?! :mad: The service advisor explained to the adjuster that the body shop doesn't do mechanical work and the body guys aren't trained by BMW to make mechanical repairs. SHEESH! ANything for them (insurance) to save a few bucks :mad:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• dfrescadfresca Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 X5 and just recently, I went to go start it on a Monday morning (after not driving it for only one day) and it wouldn't start. Had the car jump started and two weeks later the same thing happened. I took it into BMW for service and after two days I got it back - allegedly fixed. NOT SO! After driving it yesterday morning to the store, I went to start it just two hours later and the battery was dead again! Is anyone else having this problem? I will be getting another jump tomorrow and, AGAIN, taking into service.
  • zeevjabotinskyzeevjabotinsky Member Posts: 1
    I'm having constant dead battery problems on my X5. I've been to the dealer several times, one time replaced the battery completely (under warranty). Still no positive results and it's still dying.

It's to the point that if I don't drive it for a couple of days I'm planning to have to jump start it. I can't see how I'll buy another BMW again.
  • lalarry959lalarry959 Member Posts: 1
    My '07 X5 is the 2nd BMW I've owned. I had an '04 330ci with 41K miles which I traded in for the X5. I've had it for a year this month. I'd say that it's been in the shop at least half a dozen times, if not more. The current problem is my engine light came on. The Techs said that there was a problem with the 'Vanos' system.. something I never heard of until I Googled it. If you own a BMW, you have a Vanos system too. So, this was Monday. Thursday the system was put back together after having it torn apart. According to my Service Advisor.. the Fault code hasn't cleared. A software download/upgrade didn't resolve it, nor did another task performed on it. It is now Friday after 5. My Service Advisor says they've exhausted their efforts, and have to contact BMW Support on Monday. I'm driving this piece of crap Nissan Rogue which I shouldn't be too tough on, it currently runs better than my car. THIS might be reason why I'll never buy another Bimmer.. more to come.. :mad: :lemon:
  • dianegdianeg Member Posts: 6
    My X5 was not driven for 3 weeks because I was out of town & the battery was dead when I came back...in Dec it was weak after I was gone for one week...my service dept here in Yakima said I should have on a trickle charger whatever that is...my husbands Range Rover's battery did not die after 2 weeks...what is up with this?
    I've had many BMW's. You are not experiencing something out of the ordinary for a BMW. BMW's, and many other late model luxury type cars, continue to operate a lot of electronics (alarm, motion detectors, some ventilation, etc) even when the car is turned off. A week is not uncommon before the battery is run down, maybe not dead, but rundown (especially in cold/winter climates.) Can't speak for the Range Rover. A trickle charger can be purchased from BMW or from Bavarian Autosport www.bavauto.com and some simply plug into an AC outlet and into the car's cigarette lighter. About $50

94 318I
    95 318TI
    97 M3
    2002 325XI
    2003 X5 3.0 - Current
    2001 M3
    2008 535XI Wagon - Current

Wayne
  • yagit1yagit1 Member Posts: 11
    yes i do have the same problem since day one...i have a 2002 x-5 and that has been my problem ever since i bought it 7 years ago... i moved to new york and worsen my problem since i don't have an outlet to plug my trickle-charger, my battery is a year old and my car went dead 3 times since the beginning of the year...last wednesday morning, i started my car and kept it running for 30 minutes, drove it for 5 minutes that night and the folllowing day, the battery was dead...have been to 2 bmw service depts but they cannot address the root of the problem...so the only solution if im going away for vacation is to disconnect the battery which of course is quite a task since the battery is located underneath the spare tire...please let me know if anyone can find a solution to this problem...thanks...
  • mbabazadehmbabazadeh Member Posts: 1
    Story of my life for the past 3 yrs! When the car was only 1/2 months old, I had in towed in b/c it was dead. Over the past 3 yrs it has been in over 8 times for a "high battery" drain warning or b/c the battery was completly dead. I have been blamed for the problem being told either I drive "short miles and do not let the battery charge" or that I left the lights on when they are set to turn on and off by themself. Some of my other favorite "theories" by BMW is that it's the alarm system, the battery is bad, the vehicle "wakes up" way too many times while turned off.

I have told them while turned off in the garage, you can hear the car's computer running (humming) the interior lights turn on and off and sometimes the alarm goes off so much at work I have to disarm it all together.

Hands down if I was aware the FL lemon law only covers you within the 1st 24 months I would have not had a problem getting a new car/refund. Now I have a lawyer and they will not work with me what so ever. They won't even offer an exteded warranty to cover this vehicle once it hits 4 yrs old and the factory warranty runs out. WHich I can probably guarantee will still have problems. In that case I will have car payments and the expense of paying for service out of pocket. So as I speak the vehicle is in for service b/c the a/c stopped working for the 2nd time now. In my opnion, BMW should stand by their vehicle rather than focusing on their bottom line. Clearly, I am not the only person with the problem. Why can't the countless local techs and the "regional engineer" from BMW fix my car?????
  • dfrescadfresca Member Posts: 3
    I think I am lucky....or at least lucky for now. After BMW replaced my battery (I think a second time) I have not seen the high battery drain warning and have had no instances where the battery died anymore. I am not concinved it will not come back though!
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    Local BMW says they're back-ordered, probably pretty expensive. Are there any reliable trailer hitches, safe to use for this car?
  • oziboyoziboy Member Posts: 2
    Please note that I own a 2007 BMW X5 4.8I. Last week I noticed that when I park the rear of the car is lowered on one side. When I do unlock the car with my remote and open the door on the driver's side the rear goes up again slowly. The X5 only have 30,000 miles. If anyone is experiencing that problem knows the solution, please tell me.
  • oziboyoziboy Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 BMW X5 4.8I and I am having some suspension blues. The vehicle has only 30,000 miles, but whenever I park when I return the back is lowered on the left side(driver's side) When I do unlock the door and open it the back goes back up. I hate to see my vehicle one one side when it is parked. It looks like s--t. Can someone tell me if they have the same problem and the solution.
This discussion has been closed.