Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 BMW X5

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited October 2014 in BMW
BMW's next SUV is currently under development

Comments

• m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    i wonder if itll look like the x3, ugh... hopefully not. i also dont really like their decision to add 3rd row seats.
  • mylotcatmylotcat Member Posts: 1
    If the base X5 gets a 360hp 4.8L, I wonder if there will be a different engine option for whatever replaces the 4.8is? I hate to see the '07 base X5 cranking more horsepower than my '05 4.8is (355hp), although if it's bigger and heavier maybe the '07 won't be as quick.
  • waldenwalden Member Posts: 1
    From the spyshots I saw, it will be as ugly as all recent BMW's. That's why I am considering buying the last of the X5 4.8is model.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Those test mules are usually heavily disguised though. Angelina Jolie would look ugly with the makeup they slap on those pre-production samples! :sick:
    wise decision i say :)
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    This discussion's been inactive for a month now.

Anyway's here's an undisguised X5 picture that I found on the net. Doesn't look that bad.

http://automobilemag.com/2007_sneak_preview/0505_bmw_x5/
    not too bad, if its not a photoshopped pic from the current model
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    not too shabby.
    I just hope they don't make it too big.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    It will be bigger than the current model because I hear it's getting a 3rd row of seats.

Although I think an X7 with third row seats would be nice. The X5 has the perfect size right now with 2 rows, and I doubt a 3rd row would be very comfortable.
    Well, I hope then that the 3rd row seat is at least only optional, and not standard across the board. The X5 turning into a mom-mobile would be sacrilegous!

The current X5 is pretty close to ideal size. Perhaps a couple of inches more in length to gain some added luggage space. Hope they don't make it any wider.
  • gilbert2gilbert2 Member Posts: 1
    BMW X-5
    I wish they do something to avoid the glare on the navigation sytem while driving against the sun - Adding a third row in X-5 is not a good idea
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    While you or I may not want it... they are extremely popular in SUVs... It is what allows Mom to ditch the mini-van...

Those SUVs that offer it as an option... are worth much more on re-sale than the ones that don't have it..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• emcmemcm Member Posts: 1
    Does any one know what new features are planned like the i-drive system or a keyless entry? Thanks!
    But couldn't Mom stick to her MDX, Pilot, Highlander, Explorer, and other such appliances? :P Upscale Moms can pick from GX470, LR3, XC90 and such. ;)
    Well... she could... but, BMW wants her money, too!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I see. But it's going to cost 'em.....in the image department! :P
    lol... so true...i agree bmw should make 3rd row optional, not standard.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    lol... so true...i agree bmw should make 3rd row optional, not standard.

Why? Will the 3rd row adversely affect X5 performance/handling? I dont think so unless you 6th and 7th passenger are a bit on the portly side.

Image? What image? I believe BMW would solely manufacture sport sedans and wagons if marketing/sales were not important! The fact is the market is MOST IMPORTANT and most successful SUVs do have a third row.

Give me your reasons why a 3rd row should be optional? If the new X5 had only two rows it makes much more sense to buy a Touring 5 series xi or if you're more frugal a Touring 3 series xi, assuming performance/handling is your priority.
    "Give me your reasons why a 3rd row should be optional"

Why? Because not everyone wants one! I don't want one, so why should I be forced to pay for one? The X5 is primarily a Sport Activity Vehicle. Not Sport Utility. Most people that are interested in maximum passenger hauling don't look to the X5 as their primary choice. There are plenty of other fine vehicles designed for that purpose. People buy X5 for the styling, the image, the performance, the handling. Basically all the attributes of a BMW sedan, but with an elevated driving position, and all-weather capability. They want to look good, and feel good, driving one. They don't care that they can't haul 6 friends along, or carpool with the neighbors' snotty kids!

Besides, most 3rd row seats in an SUV are only suitable for amputees. :mad:

Get a minivan if you have so many people you need to lug along!
    Get a minivan if you have so many people you need to lug along!

Most auto makers are going to offer third row non-minivan vehicles(SAV/SUV or whatever you want to call them), BMW included---whether you like it or not!

What the market demands, the market gets!
    i just dont want it, sure i can remove it but who wants to pay for something they dont want...plus it means the new x5 will have to be a lot longer in size, and to me it simply blows, the current dimensions are almost perfect imo.

i do agree however with the statement, what the market wants the market gets, but guess what, the merc ML doesnt have 3rd row anymore since most customers dont want it. it might be a good sign... :)
    Don't they fold down... out of sight?

Really.. seems like a small nit to pick.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

plus it means the new x5 will have to be a lot longer in size, and to me it simply blows, the current dimensions are almost perfect imo.

We dont know yet how extended the dimensions could be with a 3rd row. If you want better dimensions/weight in order to have better performance/handling then the x3, future Acura RDX and Audi Q5 may be most suitable for your needs.

ML doesnt have 3rd row anymore since most customers dont want it.

There is a reason for no 3rd row on the new ML. The reason is called the newer MB RL. A 3rd row ML would cannibalize sales of the higher priced RL Minivan or SAV or whatever you want to call it.
    true, and i wish bmw will make something else w/ 3rd row instead. call me crazy, but to me its about the image, somehow a 3rd row just wont work for me.
    Couldn't agree with you more!
    Well, I say the X5 is the wrong vehicle for that. What's next, built-in flip-down baby booster seats? :mad:
  • forzaforza Member Posts: 36
    at a bookstore the other day and was browsing through the latest issue of Car and Driver and they have a roughly 20 model sneak preview on new cars coming out till 2007. They had a picture of the new X5 and I'm not too happy with the looks.

There was also a picture of a new BMW called the V5, which will be a competitor to ther R Class. It will have the third row seat that some of you don't or do want.

There were also pictures of a new Audi coupe called the R9, I think, and also a picture of the next Lexus LS.

Pick up an issue today. It's the one with the 6 supercar comparison test on the front.
  • iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    My wife is looking to replace her 330xi with an SAV/SUV. New 6month old, and working a child seat makes the front seat of it barely usable.

We looked at XC90 V8 and a X5 4.4. Since the XC90 has a third row of seats we noticed a few things:

1. The third seat, if it goes into the floor, takes up potential space. They are also not removeable.
    2. The second row seat backs on the XC90 are farther forward than they should/could be. IE the seatback is 2-3 inches in front of the C-pillar/door frame as compared to flush on the X5 and my Jeep Grand Cherokee. (salesman says that is so the 3rd row rides far enough forward so that their heads don't hit the rear window.)
    3. On an XC90, you can give the 3rd row more leg room, but you take it from the second row seats (the 2nd row seats move back and forth a few inches.)
    4. 3rd row seats are really only good for pre-teen kids, but they are all in seats/boosters and I really don't want to be belting a squirmy kid into that third row seat. Plus, if you have feral neighboorhood kids hitchhicking, don't you need booster seats for them under 100#s???? (Also, does that mean that Calista Flockheart still has to be belted into a booster seat?)

I thought the XC90 was going to be the solution. Just as powerful as an X5, all those safety features, not having to deal with "Oh, you drive a BeeeHeMMMMMMuhhhDoubleU", about ten grand cheaper, and not the last year of a model run.

Not so clear now. Leaning towards X5.

3rd row seats, to me, are excuses people use to get the smaller SUVs they want, when they really should be getting Tahoes or MDXs. "Really honey, we can put your grandmother on oxygen and a walker into the 3rd row."

The Volvo guy said "Even if you don't use the third (turd) row everyday, you can use it to pick up family at the airport." And I'm just thinking, instead of compromising my everyday driver, I'll just get a limo to pick them up.
    I agree with everything you said, including the part about Ms. Flockhart! :P

That's why I don't want to pay, in more ways than just money, for a 3rd row in an SUV/SAV.
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    The ML doesnt have the 2rd anymore because of the new G-Wagon, thats gonna be the new 7 seater and they cant make 2 7 seaters for the same sort of price! :)
  • perch10perch10 Member Posts: 1
    3 kids, 4 yrs., 3yrs. and ETA of 3rd in 30 days........does anyone use 3 children seats in X5? I know Grand Cherokee does but would prefer staying German w/o a 3rd row....

Any ideas
  • suzn43suzn43 Member Posts: 2
    Maybe it's the picture quality but does the 2007 X5 look a little like a cross between the LexusRX300 and a Subaru? Maybe I'll buy the latest issue of Car and Driver to get a better look. If I'm right, I might want to make sure I get a 2006 before they change the design.
  • thstonethstone Member Posts: 6
    With all regard, you are confusing market segments. There are very few potential customers who are currently driving a $25K minivan but have not made the move to an X5 becuase of the lack of a third seat.

The addition of a third seat is meant to compete with the upscale domestic SUV's like the Escalade, Yukon XL, and the top of the line Expedition. Some of these customers (who are already looking at a $40K+ vehicle) might make the switch to the X5 if it had an optional third seat.

However, the risk in adding the 3rd seat to the X5 is that the car has the potential to lose its sports cred.
  • maxpower2maxpower2 Member Posts: 1
    Why the hell would you compare a piece of farm machinery (Jeep) to an X5? There is no comparison, kid seat compatible or not! But get the 4.4V8! Mine is great and had it for 5 years now, and it has spent a lot of it's life towing my 2.3Tonne boat and or the 1.3Tonne Go Kart trailer.
  • gela2badgela2bad Member Posts: 1
    Yes, this model is scary, I had to look at it a couple of times. I am actually thinking about getting a Lexus 2007 because of the way the new X5 looks. My focus was on the X5 for 2007, but not with that new LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dc1977dc1977 Member Posts: 1
    The fact is more "soccer moms and Dads" are opting for an SUV instead of the old mini-van. I think there are many twenty somethings and thirty somethings who have careers and children and want a luxury suv that can accomodate the family and room to breathe. If you are paying the price for a BMW, you might as well get an extra row. The only option out there is to either get the volvo xc-90, the new Land rover LR3 or dont get a luxury suv ( if the third row sells it, which for me it does) I would LOVE the x-5 to come in a third row. I recently bought the land rover LR3, but given the option I would have gone with the third row BMW X5. :)
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    Before you look at Lexus (as I have driven them the RX and GX) take a look at the upcoming Audi Q7. I saw it in person at the L.A. auto show and it is pretty amazing and the price is very reasonable considering all the standard features as well as specs. First one coming out will be a V8 350 HP FSI engine with 3rd row seats. Both 2nd and 3rd rows fold into the floor. It's pretty cool.
  • cefuscefus Member Posts: 45
    The new X5 with have several new features that are not on the older versions, It will have the I-drive and keyless entry like you mentioned, Other options are HUD,active cruise control, and 3 options for 3rd row seat area,
    The newer version will be 7 inches longer and 5 inches wider.
    Also a option for a 12 speaker stereo system, heated and a/c seats. And many more items
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Member Posts: 48
    does not look promising for a 3rd row according to Edmunds article. "A yet-to-be-confirmed rumor concerns whether the X5 will grow long enough to accommodate a third row of seats. By the looks of this prototype we would say no as it doesn't appear to be much longer than the current model. More precise packaging of the interior could make that a possibility, however, so we'll have to wait for more detailed photos to find out."
    Its gonna happen I know for a fact, and the added width and length are what I replied.
  • lexus460llexus460l Member Posts: 51
    I have real pictures of the new 2007 photos unrapped
    I already been sitting in several of them and worked on them.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    How about posting some pictures and specs? Please?
    5 inches wider?! Is that confirmed? In the Edmunds Spy Video it doesn't look that much wider. That would put the X5 into Navigator/Expedition territory in terms of width. That's too wide (for me anyway). :cry:
    I will measure everything again just to make sure,as of right now i can not post any pics of the E70
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    Will there be a Diesel option for the new X5 here in the U.S.? The X5 is available in Europe with a Diesel--so why not here?
  • bu96bu96 Member Posts: 19
    For those with the inside knowledge, does the new design look anything like what is pictured in the spy video?
    the video has the cars camo the taillights and bumpers and front end is covered up pretty well,the sides are also covered. Its not straying to far from the first edition version,nothing to radical. The inside will be totally different
This discussion has been closed.