Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    My daughter cancelled her order for a Mariner(Merc)hybrid and bought a Toyota Highlander hybrid.They just got tired of the game playing by the Ford Motor Company.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Too bad. The Highlander gets about 20% - 25% less gas mileage....25mpg vs. 30mpg (on average as reported by owners.) At 25mpg she could have gone with a Subaru or other models that get close to that. Unless of course she needs the seating and space that comes with a HiHy...then she made a good choice. :D
    She didnt ask me for advice.Not only is the mileage not as good as the Mariner,the Highlander cost approx $10 K more.The loaded versions of both are about that much apart.They just got tired of waiting,and they managed to buy the last hybrid SUV in the state.
    My son in law said that they were averaging something like 30MPG,but maybe thats only on the trip computer.It does definitely ride better than the Escape though.Otherwise the Ford product is a much better value.
    BTW I dont believe the 4WD Escape will average 30MPG,but the 2WD will.
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    I think Ford should increase the output rate to not to push petential customers away. I believe the Hilander Hybrid is also a nice car, but I incline to 2008 Escape's new styling and better mpg. According to Real Hybrid Mileage Database (http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/) the 2WD and 4WD Escape (2007 and 2008) gets to 32 mpg and 29 mpg respectively. I believe the mpg should be higher (1~2 mpg) for pure 2008 model.
    The online database, as reported tank-by-tank by real drivers shows:

2wd HiHy (52 participants) 26.3 mpg average
    2wd FEH (163 participants) 31.8 mpg average

(I quoted 25 and 30 to account for 4wd) Anyway, its a 5mpg difference when comparing apples to apples.

The HiHy is a great vehicle, it's just not as much of an environmentally friendly alternative - unless it is replacing a Tahoe, a Yukon, Expedition, etc. on the road. Happy motoring. :D
    I visit the same site for my MPG information.
  • nightfly1nightfly1 Member Posts: 3
    It just came in and I was lucky enough to pick it up for 32500C$ plus taxes (which the rebates should more or less offset). It is a FWD with leather, so far over 550kms and still on the first tank...should easily hit 700km. This is with city driving and a trip up to whistler for the weekend (from Vancouver).
    How many miles is 700km?...$32,500....or is that Canadian money?
    $32,500 would be would be over list.I dont know at what rate Canadian dollars exchange with American.
    700km = ~435miles, 32500 is Canadian $, and you cannot just use the exchange rate as the msrp is higher up here the in the US. 32500 was out the door including doc fees etc.
    Just out of curiosity,just what options do you have? :confuse:
  • dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    Yesterday, I filled up the tank (2008 FEH) with 12.7 gallon for 401 miles shown in my trip meter or 31.6 MPG. I do not change my driving habit and always turn on the A/C. For same condition I get 13~14 MPG on 2005 Explorer sport trac and 17~18 MPG on 2006 Honda Odyssey. Happy owner of 2008 FEH.
    leather, chrome package, upgraded stereo
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    Ordered mine on 07/30/2007. At the time of order I wasn't aware of order delays, and I don't believe the dealer was
    since he told me 4-6 weeks for delivery.

I checked recently for a status of my order and was told by dealer that all FEH's are on "National Back Order" (whatever that means). Checked 2 days ago with FORD Customer Service who advised that they are presently building June special orders but couldn't give me a time when June orders would be completed.

Yesterday, I received a call from a different FORD dealer, one that I had visited while shopping for the vehicle I wanted. He says he had just received 2 2008's and wanted to know if I were still interested. Unfortunately, mine has been ordered with a $1,000 Non-refundable deposit.

At the time I was shopping I only found one available. It was loaded with every option available and some additional dealer installed accessories. They were asking a hefty price along with a $3,000 "adendum" they called it.
    (in other words a $3,000 mark-up over the retail sticker)
    That's when I decided to order at my local dealer.

The dealer who called me regarding the two that he claims to have is located in Chantilly, VA. I have no idea of their pricing.

I have been told by a different dealer altogether that FEH orders have been turned over to a FORD division in Detroit and that this usually only happens when the delay problem is caused by suppliers and not by the Ford Production facility. (maybe its the electric motor supplier?)

I don't have a clue as to how true that is, so I'll just continue to wait.

Rnarg
    All this stuff has me so put off so much that I decided to keep my 4 cylinder KIA.It probably gets better highway mileage than the Escape Hybrid anyway.Thats the problem with Ford and the rest of Detroit...they build the wrong cars.They just dont read the market.
  • jamesmartymartjamesmartymart Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I am looking to buy a 2008 Escape Hybrid but can't seem to find one here in Edmonton, AB, Canada. The dealer says there is a 4 month delay!

ps.If anyone knows where I can find one matching the following options please send me a message:

Options wanted:
    2008 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD
    Black Pearl
    Leather
    Chrome
    Navigation System
  • sksuhsksuh Member Posts: 13
    Best of luck. I'm actually quite surprised that my 2008 FEH arrived at all given the dismal delivery stories I've seen online.

Even more surprised given that Bow Valley Ford in Canmore, AB likely isn't a major seller compared to the big city dealers across Canada and the United States.

Stephen
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    Guess I feel lucky about getting my FEH.. Checked the local dealers here in the KC area and was told that 10 weeks is the average order time and of course no one had any. Did a std internet inquiry and a dealer 25 miles away responded that he had a 4wd black slate one coming in the next day and wondered if I would be interested. Went up to the dealer, gave him my Xplan pin and showed him my trade in and drove away 2 hours later. Window showed 31,105 with Xplan and $500 rebate - out the door at $28766 Not sure if I could have done better, but I was satisfied. (trade in was also fair and reduced the cost another $3000).
    Has not of the options except NAV. Would of likes to have the hybrid screens but don't need the GPS side.. The Escape was built 2 weeks before I bought it. :)
  • cloftuscloftus Member Posts: 19
    I'm so jealous. Ordered mine 6/21 and still waiting in Florida. :cry:
    oh, does anyone know how the sales numbers are going? By the time I get my car,if ever, I hope I still qualify for a tax deduction. And where'd the $500 rebate come from?
    TO: kc rusty

Wasn't aware the FEH came equiped with Navigation as an independent stand alone option. Everything I have observed indicates if you have Navigation in the Hybrid it is coupled with the Energy Flow Monitor (hybrid screen)you mention you wish you had, and also the audiophile am/fm 6CD stero option. As I understand it, the only one of these 3 you can get alone is the audiophile system.

If you actually have Navigation, are you sure you don't have the other 2? (If you have Navigation alone maybe it was installed as an accessory?)
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Concerning the non-refundable deposit. Guess what - that is B.S. You are playing their game and being sucked in. If they cannot deliver the product as promised and continue to string you along then you can either let them or take a hike ( with your money ). A car salesman will tell you ANYTHING! Unfortunately, it is not always their fault. They can be misled too. Most are just dumb puppets. I know more about the cars they sell that they do.
    The $500 is a Cash Incentive to purchase. If you go to the Kelly Blue Book site (www.kbb.com) and select New Car pricing and then price the 2008 Escape Hybrid with options, you should see one of the selections you can make refers to the $500 incentive.

Also, buyers who qualify for x plan pricing are offered this $500 incentive in certificate form.

Only problem is, this incentive ends on 10/01/2007, and the date that is used to qualify is the date the vehicle is delivered to you, the buyer. So us poor souls who may have the $500 incentive but are still waiting on FORD to deliver the vehicle will most likely be out of luck since I doubt we "waiters" will receive our vehicles by 10/01/2007.

On the other hand, if after 10/01/07 for some strange reason FORD provides another incentive (more than or less than the $500 one) we "waiters" will qualify for whatever rebates etc are applicable on the date of delivery. ( I know this is true for X plan buyers, so I would imagine the same procedure would apply to all buyers.

rnarg
    Just returned from Tallahassee, Florida. If anyone's interested there are two 2008 FEH's at All American Ford. One is a 4x4. Didn't fit my order, so I'm still waiting.
    I recently contacted Ford's Customer Service Assistance dept to see if they could give me the date of a week in which I could expect delivery of my FEH ordered on 7/30. I contacted Ford directly because I was told by the dealership that the person who could help me had gone "fishing in the carribean somehere".

After providing FORD with the information they requested on my particular order, they responded within 24 hours with the following:

"Our records indicate that your vehicle has been serialized and is awaiting schedule date and estimated time of arrival. There are a great number of variables that may affect production scheduling and delivery: 1. option packages 2. special powertrain combinations 3 delivery delays of components. Other variables that may also affect the delivery date of your vehicle include: 1. Certification and quality inspections 2. Transportation of the vehicle to the specified dealership. As such, it is not possible to guarantee a specific delivery date. Your sales representative at your selling dealership is in the best position to track your vehicle order. We recommend contacting the dealership's Sales Dept for further assistance in this matter."

Please excuse me while I retire again to "the waiting" room.
  • deckmt91deckmt91 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 2008 FEH in late June 2007. I was surprised when the dealer called me in mid-August and said my FEH was sitting in their parking lot. Not sure why my order was filled relatively quick, but I was happy. I love the vehicle! :D
  • dmousheydmoushey Member Posts: 2
    Ordered in March while I was living in Mexico. Arrived in September after I had moved to the US. Holy Frijoles that is slow. Got X-plan on it (hope you all like the floorcarpets!).

Kiwi green
    Moonroof
    Chrome Package
    Leather Package

Paid ~27K
    Ordered my 2008 4WD FEH on 7/30/2007. At the time there were none to be found on the dealer lots. At the time of order I was told 4-6 weeks for delivery. Also at the time of order, I was given by FORD a $500 cash rebate coupon as an incentive to buy, good until 10/01/2007. With the $500 incentive and the X pricing I was given, I was satisfied with the price. Problem is, Ford didn't deliver the vehicle in 4-6 weeks as promised, and as the 9th week passed so did my $500 incentive that ended on 10-1. FORD delayed delivery until the 11th week. In addition, on the date the $500 cash incentive expired (10-1), they announced another incentive effective 10-2 for a $1000 cash rebate with one catch----IT APPLIES TO 2008 ESCAPES BUT NOT 2008 ESCAPE HYBRIDS. Sooo, one may surmise that it's in Ford's interest to delay the delivery of ordered Hybrids (using whatever excuse they can come up with) until any outstanding incentives expire and don't follow it with another incentive, or if another is offered let it only apply to a different model.

Some consider this an out right scam. With the method they are using Ford could offer a $10,000 rebate on an ordered vehicle to get customers to buy, and then simply make certain they don't deliver the vehicle until after the incentive's expiration date!

In my particular case, for them to follow with a $1000 factory cash incentive on 2008 Escapes and not on 2008 Escape Hybrids is certainly demonstrating that it doesn't pay to buy the Hybrid version.-------Thus, "why it doesn't pay to go green".
    I would think that they wont give you a discount on the 2008 hybrid because they can't build them fast enough.They sell them easily with no incentives.The $500 discount was at a time when people were not buying the Escape hybrid.Things have changed.I remember when our local dealer had an Escape hybrid and it sat on their lot for at least a month before it was sold.Now you can't find one to test drive.
  • teperillouxteperilloux Member Posts: 5
    I ordered a 2008 escape hybrid and when it came the sticker price was $1000 more than my order receipt stated. Good thing I had price protection as these hoodlums would have tried to charge me $1000 more than quoted. And that's on top of the $200 mid year price increase I had to pay.

Don't even get me started on the bait and switch hybrid tax credit - absolutely ridiculous.
    I agree with your assessment of supply and demand issues at the time, however my point is-----had Ford delivered my ordered vehicle during the time period they promised (4-6 weeks), I would not have lost my $500 cash incentive promised at the time of order. In other words, I got to pay a $500 penalty charge for FORD'S DELAY. This doesn't make sense to me, regardless of the supply and demand issues. The point is FORD gets rewarded for delaying delivery of the order.

Since Ford could use this tactic again and again at their discretion and regardless of supply and demand, it seems they may be exposing themselves to a conflict of interest charge.
  • lorenejlorenej Member Posts: 1
    A Ford dealership in Columbia, MD is telling me that there is such a demand for the FEH, that the last two have sold at 2500-5000 above sticker price. The salesman is telling me that they had to "BUY" the two they have on the lot from a dealership in California, plus pay transportation to get here. Has anyone heard of the FEH selling above sticker price? After the negotiating began, he was willing to come "down" to sticker price, but I walked away. I know they have to make a buck or 2, but I am very much against buying at sticker and I'm definitely not buying above sticker.
    In July 2007 the only 2008 I could find in the Northern VA area was at Koons Ford in Falls Church, VA, and they were asking a $3000 "market adjustment" I believe they called it.

About a week after my visit they contacted me with an offer to purchase at msrp sticker price.

If there are none around, the dealer is usually aware of it and they will take advantage of the situation with the dreaded "market adjustment". However, I found that if you are willing and able to wait you can still negotiate a reasonable price below MSRP on a special order of the exact vehicle with the options you desire.

Since there is currently a $1000 rebate available in most areas on the 2008 Escape NON HYBRIDS , you might consider purchasing a 4 cyl rather than the hybrid if you are only interested in MPG savings. Considering the $1000 rebate and the better price you can negotiate on the 4cyl and the fact that you can probably find a 4cyl gas powered presently on the dealers lot, it will take you quite some time to recover the $1000 rebate and the difference you must pay purchasing the hybrid vs one conventially powered.

Ford has this figured out, so in order to push the non hybrid Escapes they began offering the $1,000 cash incentive effective 10/02/07. (Don't forget the $2200 tax credit that you will be giving up and the possibility of giving up some HOV benefits if you go with the conventional gasoline powered model.

Also, there appears to be many Hybrids from different Manufacturers that will be entering the market soon. When that happens it will be interesting to watch what happens to Fords selective Escape rebate program and the Ford dealers "market adjustments"
    So.....you got X-plan pricing and you still cannot calculate a payoff from owning the FEH? Do you think gas prices are going to go down over the next 5 to 8 years?....or however long you plan to own the vehicle. Sorry you were "late to the party" on the FEH.

I visited Koons Ford in FallsChurch to place an order for one of the first FEHs in the summer of 2004. At that time they wanted an $8000 premium on top of the sticker price.....the salesman was down to $4000 by the time I was walking out the door.

[This year I realized the first big Personal Property tax savings break - $0 tax on the first $20k assessed value - I own an '06 I bought in VA in '06] The savings are not always a much as advertised but they continue to come from unexpected places. (And oil is at almost $100/ barrel)
  • jopochipjopochip Member Posts: 1
    Where is Fairside Ford??? I've lived in Ann Arbor for 40+ years and never heard of them.
  • gonegrngonegrn Member Posts: 3
    EZ to say after I took delivery. I ordered 7/23/07 with the understanding it would be 6 to 8 weeks. I emailed Ford at least 11 times, wanting my VIN, so I could track the progress. The customer relations has no way of talking to Ford and never offered any answers or help. I never even knew if the factory had my order. After about 8 weeks , my great salesman, Mike at Victor Ford in Wauconda, Illinois said the FEH would start being built about Oct. 1st. Of course, I lost my $500 rebate too.

Once they began building, Lucky (Mike) told me their finish date was about Oct. 19th. On the 16th, he called and it was in. I also tried to get the Illinois financing for a $1000 rebate. There are no banks near me, so I had to apply an hour away in Rockford. The bank turned me down, not knowing my situation, and I lost that rebate too. Ford approved us in 2 minutes and I took the 4.9% for 3 years.

I think if everyone figures 2 to 4 months for delivery and expect no rebates- you will then be happy- and anything better than that would be a small bonus. Gr8 car-still on first tank of gas. Good luck. :surprise:
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    I just got quotes of between 23.1 and 23.9K for a bare bones Tribute Hybrid in the Bay Area. I believe that they are only being sold in CA. Has anyone compared them to the Escape Hybrid? Any major differences?
    I am 2 up- I also have a Mazda 3 and we love it. It shows on Mazda's web site that the tribute is a triplet of escape and mariner, so it should be just as nice. Their web site says starting at 28,000- grab that deal.
    What is a Tribute,and who makes it?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    The Mazda Tribute is a twin to the Ford Escape... Essentially the same vehicle..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• douglosiodouglosio Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2008 FWD with leather comfort package and the 110 volt PowerPoint for an X Plan price of $25,500 before tax and licensing. I've also downloaded the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit form 8910 for a $3,000 tax credit. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml
    I believe the Fed Form 8910 that is currently available is for year 2006. I don't think that 8910 for purchases made in 2007 is available yet. I could be wrong however.
    Be carefull, don't spend that credit until you actually finish calculating your 2007 taxes. If you max out on allowable credits (and bump up against what would be your AMT).......you cannot take any more credits. I only got about 3/4's of my $1950 on my 2006 that I purchased in 2006.
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    I'm guessing with TTL we looking at closer to 26k plus a 3-6%APR. Has maintenance on your M3 been decent? I noticed ford has a pretty pricey maintenance log/price list.
  • johndix60johndix60 Member Posts: 21
    I posted the following message yesterday at the Mariner Hybrid forum ( and I did send an email on the subject to Ford President Mulally ):

Having decided to give up my Wrangler in favor of a Mercury Mariner Hybrid, I armed myself with a X-Plan PIN number and arrived at my local Stuart, Florida Mercury Dealer. Surprise: they don't sell or maintain Mariner Hybrids.

Went across the street to the Ford Dealer. There were zero Escape Hybrids there, but the sales rep said that I could order one and wait two months for delivery. The sales manager said that 1% of Escape production is the hybrid model.

And one wonders why Ford stock is in the tank?
    hey bjc- my mazda 3 has been just oil changes in 2 years- regular maintenance has been the usual. Not one problem- knock on wood. After my '94 Olds Bravada that was towed more times than I care to remember- Mazda and Ford have been awesome to me. We also own an '05 Hyundai Tucson- another awesome vehicle. We like the small suv over the large.

When I got my FEH, the salesman went over maintenance and said oil changes are every 10,000 miles- I just looked it up and it says 12 month , 10,000 mile max between oil changes. I hope there aren't any major expenses, maybe the '06 and '07 FEH owners can share their expenses with us on here.
    I totally agree with you. I ordered mine June 26th and I still don't have a vin number!
    I really wonder why Ford is running commercials for these hybrids.You cant find one.You would think that they would notice which direction the sales wind is blowing. :confuse:
  • devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    I have an '07 Escape FWD hybrid, which I puchased in August 2006. I have 17,000 miles on it. The only maintenance to date is an oil change at 10,000 miles ($19) , a tire rotation (free), and new wiper blades ($20). Currently I am getting between 34-36 mpg depending on the type of driving I did on that tank.
    I counted 12 Escape Hybrids on the lot for sale(in various colors and options) at my local dealer a couple of weeks ago....when I was there to have the HVBattery connector on my 2006 changed out under the service campaign (recall). :D
    Where in the heck do you live?In Il they are like the proverbial hens teeth.I have not seen a single one on any Ford dealer lot.I have looked on line at dealer inventories and finally I gave up.BTW I also looked at a large Ford dealership in Sandusky Ohio.Not a single hybrid.
    I have read that in 2008 Ford will make another hybrid in a sedan config....I wonder if it will be possible to actually buy one.