Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• burnsvaburnsva Member Posts: 35
    "This last dealership said that fleet models have already been ordered and will be on the lots before the individual vehicle orders. If you have the opportunity to switch your vehicle to one that is already ordered in the fleet, it would be advantageous."

This seems to run counter to the many reports that have stated the production schedules would prioritize '09 FEH's the following: 1) Actual Retail Sales, 2) Dealer Stock and 3) Fleet Orders.
  • neuroboy002neuroboy002 Member Posts: 24
    Just got back from the dealership and signed my paperwork. I thought I would post the info from my vehicle order confirmation:

2009 FWD FEH Limited
    MSRP: $31,330
    Retail: $30,635
    Dealer invoice: $28,358
    A/Z Plan: $28,286.34
    D-Plan: $28,386.59
    X-Plan: $29,381.64

Other Charges: 3 Gallons of gas - $11.34
    FDAF - $360
    Destination & Delivery - $695

Two things surprised me (You'll have to forgive me for mentioning these, but this is my first time purchasing an item of this magnitude):

1. I plan to pay this car off in one year. I was not aware that the banks Ford use
    will normally penalize $75 for closing a balance early. I wasn't too happy about
    that.

2. The dealership I went to required a 10% non-refundable deposit, or $3000.
    Again, I didn't know this was standard, but at the same time, I didn't care too
    much. I planned to pay off the care ASAP. Also this dealership was in walking
    distance of my parents' home as opposed to a 8 mile drive elsewhere.

I've got no timetable as to when my vehicle will be built. I did take a look at my dealer's ordering list while he was away from his desk and stock inventory of certain 2009s, including the FEH Hybrids, were already being built. I didn't see any "clean" models, just ones that said "locked-in" for the production plant.
    Perhaps I misunderstood the dealership. I believe it was the "stock" vehicles he said that would come first, but perhaps he told me that because I would be ordering after that particular dealership's stock orders. That would make more sense.
  • vdepuyvdepuy Member Posts: 8
    Hi Monkeyboy4 -

After trying to buy locally, I ended up going to Newport News, VA. May have been able to find somewhere closer that would honor X-plan after an even longer search, but was just relieved to have it ordered at long last.
    Local dealers (RTP area) - Capital, Crossroads (multiple locations), and University Ford all said no up front. University Ford North is the one that gave me the 'get on a list for a future order' run around previously mentioned. Also tried a variety of smaller dealerships (ie Oxford, NC) in the hopes they might be willing to do X-plan if they had a smaller volume, no luck.
    The other 2 run-arounds were the dealerships in Fayetteville and Hendersonville (western NC). Hendersonville actually backed out when the learned I wasn't local.
    Best of luck!
    -V
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    Two thoughts:

1. Get financing elsewhere. Any sort of early penalty for closing early is absurd and may speak to a poor finance rate too...

2. Dealer requiring a non-refundable 10% deposit is outrageous... Many things can go wrong that make loosing that deposit within the realm of possibility.
  • fmorrisofmorriso Member Posts: 52
    I have been told that dealers in Washington, DC are being forced by Ford HQ to accept a "bundling" of two Ford Exhbitions in order to get an allocation for one Ford Escape Hybrid.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Furthermore, I was tod that, since an Exhibition is basically a "boat anchor" that isn't going to sell, dealers have to factor in the $4000 carrying cost of one of these "boat anchors" and make that up on the "hot sellers", resulting in the $3000-$5000 "premium" you see on the sticker of a Ford Escape Hybrid.

Sounds like I better find another dealer outside the DC area and see if they have the "escaped" (lower-case) this "bundling" issue and can sell me a FEHL without the "premium" tacked on.
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    OK,

Just got an email from the dealer. Looks like they did forget to include the step bars on the order. They are going to try and revise. Regardless, if they can't they will install at the dealer (might be a bit more.) The good news is that we are locked in and have a delivery date of 7/10/08.

Regards,
  • alfredckalfredck Member Posts: 9
    I have to agree with bjcarter. Financing is almost always better elsewhere - credit unions are best bet. The deposit they required is also outrageous. I made an order earlier this week and they didn't even require a deposit. I've spoken with 2 other dealerships before and they're quoted me a $1000 deposit or $500 deposit respectively. There is such a shortage on these hybrids, frankly I don't understand the rationale of a deposit at all.
  • therock515therock515 Member Posts: 6
    I just wanted to post my order info for anyone in the Maryland area. I went to a dealer in Columbia, MD and was quoted an x-plan price of $27,269 for a FWD standard Hybrid with no options. Included in this was a $11 gas, $360 FDAF and a $695 destination charge. I had to give a $500 deposit. Very easy experience, no runaround. I was told the expected delivery will be sometime between September and December. I have read mixed things on whether the FDAF is an allowable charge under the x-plan. Anyone know for sure?
  • chucklesvachucklesva Member Posts: 9
    i purchased a 2008 fwd hybrid last august using the x-plan and at that time this was not an allowable charge.
    chuck
    I just posted my info about ordering a 2009 FEH and raised the question about the FDAF charge. Well, after looking at the fordpartner website, I came across this:

"The New Vehicle Purchase Program price includes advertising, finance costs, transportation, fuel charges and Ford Motor Company administrative fees. The dealership may not charge extra for these items."

So just a warning to people ordering under the X-plan, the fuel charges and FDAF are NOT allowed. One thing I am wondering though is "transportation" as mentioned above the same thing as destination and delivery? If so, then I really got taken for a ride.
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    I ordered a 2008 FEH on 7/30/2007 NOTE: 4WD.

The formula for the X Plan price at that time was "The DEALER invoice less 0.4% plus $75.00 Administration Fee". (Note the administration fee is not the dreaded processing fee that should not and is not included in an X Plan price.) This above formula however, DOES include the FDAF Assessment (Per X Plan rep I spoke to at the time of order). So-----using the above formula here is how my X Plan price of $28,809.63 was arrived at using the Dealer Invoice pricing (get yours from Edmunds) :
    Dealer Invoice Pricing 2008

The FEH 4WD----------------------------------------------25,363.00
    Premium Pkg--------------------------------------------------1,016.00
    MoonRoof Pkg----------------------------------------------------846.00
    Audiophile Pkg----------------------------------------------------591.00
    U.S Gasoline----------------------------------------------------------9.03
    FDAF ASSESSMENT------------------------------------------360.00
    Destination/Delivery----------------------------------------------665.00

Note: at the time of order I contacted an X Plan Rep regarding the
    the FDAF Assessment charge, and that rep stated that it was proper but to
    make certain there were no processing fees charged.

Per Formula-----$28,850.03 X .004= 115.40
    Per Formula---- $28,850.03 less 115.40 = $28,734.63
    Per Formula-----Add $75.00 Administration Fee and you will get the total price.
    Total Price------$28,809.63 (as indicated in above paragraph)

Note: the formula is in the X Plan on line manual.
    Ok, thanks for clearing things up rnarg. I misunderstood how the calculations were being made. I made the same calculations with my quote and was able to see how the x-plan price was computed. So, the bottom line is I received a legit price.
    I ordered an '09 in late April. The local dealer advised that a VIN had been assigned and an estimated build date of the last week in June. He estimates a July delivery. Ford appears to be moving fast...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to consumers who are in the market for a hybrid SUV but are having trouble finding one. Please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information along with the vehicle you are shopping for no later than Friday, June 20th.
    I was told the dame thing - that the vehicle I ordered already had a VIN assigned and that a late July deliver was possible. I believe it when I get the phone call from the dealership somewhere between 6/23 (when the building phase of the FEHs are scheduled to start) and 7/1 regarding the vehicle's progress. I was never given the VIN number though and I never got anything in writing saying if I didn't receive my FEH by a certain date, I could take my sizable deposit elsewhere. I guess that was a rookie mistake.
    ... And if there are delays, we can blame the life guards since they received their 2009 FEHs first.

http://tinyurl.com/3lp58e
    I accidentally hit the "9" key when I meant to type "8" but then I found this surprising result:

http://tinyurl.com/3evcc4
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Yes, that is surprising, bet the winning bid will be close to the buy it now price listed.
  • papalimapapalima Member Posts: 6
    Man, I've had a bit of a struggle finding a dealer who was willing to sell a 2009 on the X-plan price. Finally got one that said they would; going to do the paperwork on Saturday.

Hopefully. Things change and if they screw me over I can tell you I'll be one PO'd guy, driving over 60 miles to get the shaft.

Until I know for sure either way I won't post the dealer name... ;)

But I definitely will tell you that Bill Pierre Ford, on Lake City Way in Seattle, is a bunch of jerks. I went in there because they said they could handle a FEH on the X-plan.

Three hours (a looong talk about the rig, a decent test drive, and then some waiting around) later they not only said that they wouldn't do the X-plan, but they pretended they were offering me a great deal on a 2008 FEH... with a second sticker that added NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS to the MSRP.

Yep, 9 grand. On a 2008, which I was clear I didn't want, in Kiwi Green, which I was clear I didn't want, instead of the X-plan which I was clear I was looking for.

Jerks. Don't use them if you're in the Seattle area!
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I accidentally hit the "9" key when I meant to type "8" but then I found this surprising result: "

Well, the pictures are of a 2008, obviously, but the VIN is 2009.
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    Just in case someone needs an X Plan participating dealer in this part of VA:--- Winchester Ford in Winchester, VA is currently a participant in the X plan program including the FEH.
  • ddawesddawes Member Posts: 14
    When I last checked with my dealer, the FEH FWD I ordered on 5/7/08 was scheduled to be built on 06/23/08. They did not have an estimate on when it would reach them. I live in SW Washington.
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    Just a quick update.
    Our 2009 FEH Limited still has a delivery date to the dealer here in Sonoma County, CA. of 7/10. The dealer was absolutely working for us and got in in the Que.. I had to "insist" that they take a $500 deposit (which they did). Only issue is Ford factory missed the side step bars but the dealer will install at cost.
    Regards,
    That's amazing. Keep updating if things are going smoothly and whether 7/10 remains the scheduled date. If so, hopefully we can expect no delays with other priority codes (I assume yours was a 10). The dealer "insisted" I make a 3000K deposit and I have received no VIN or delivery date.
  • papalimapapalima Member Posts: 6
    I ordered my 4WD FEH on Sat, June 21. Hopefully it gets built soon- lots of speculation on what order they make the rigs in (do they do a run of silver ones, then a run of white ones, etc) and so forth out there. The new car sales manager said he had no idea when things would be moving, but that generally once they're about two months out they are pretty firm with the dates of build and delivery.

I called all around western Washington, talking to the new car sales manager at each dealer, and found one who didn't even hesitate when I asked if he would order me a 2009 FEH and sell it for the X-plan price.

He did say (when I was in there) that Ford will try to push off other vehicles as part of an allotment but that his dealership generally doesn't have much problem with that; they're big enough that they get what they want/need from Ford.

FWIW, it also sounded like if they're custom-ordering a rig, that's above and beyond their "normal" allotment that the factory gives them.

Unfortunately, I couldn't put down a deposit. I would rather have been able to do so, giving me a better claim on the rig and the pricing we agreed to. I'd hate to see gas shoot to 5.25 a gallon between now and whenever it comes in and have them say "well, we can't/won't honor the X-plan price now" (which is essentially dealer invoice pricing.)
    I ordered my FEHL April 20 and still don't have a VIN. Others who ordered after me say they have a VIN. I don't have any idea why some early orders haven't been sequenced for production while later orders have a VIN.

I do know from reading some of the online KC papers that Ford and the UAW agreed to start a third shift to build Escapes starting August 11, so there's some good news to close this post.
  • ddawesddawes Member Posts: 14
    Is there any chance the dealer forgot to order your FEH? It is odd that you've yet to receive a VIN. Hopefully you've received one by now. I ordered mine on 5/7 and it was scheduled to be built 6/25. The ETA for arrival at my dealer is 7/14/08.
    Not all of us are so lucky - it seems to be dependent (at least partially) on where you live...I ordered mine on May 7th and still do not have a full VIN - my dealer says that they will not resume scheduling for at least another week or so...I still expect to see mine before labor day (hopefully)!
    My dealer assures me my April 20, 2008 order is in the system as "clean but unscheduled". I still haven't got a VIN after over two months.
  • pobre08pobre08 Member Posts: 8
    Hubster just checked his X-Plan, and the FEH is not listed as an available vehicle...is that new, or does that vary by company?
    Got word from the dealer this afternoon that the FEH I ordered (April 21) is on the ramp in KC awaiting shipment... we'll see how long it takes to get to the bay area. All in all, it's been a pretty speedy process.
    Congratulations. I ordered the same day as you did and I don't even have a VIN yet, much less a production date.
  • jlcomstockjlcomstock Member Posts: 14
    A few questions for anyone who has some info ...

1). Does anyone know if the 2009 will qualify for the federal tax credit? I just ordered a FWD Limited and what mainly made this a good buy in my mind was the tax incentive ($3k for the 2008). I've been looking everywhere online and can't find one shred of solid info. I'm still happy to buy the car w/o it, but I'd feel like I was paying too much ... I'll have to have the car for 8 years or so to see the gas savings be worth it over just buying a regular Escape.

2). What can I do to push my order up in the queue? I've read some stuff about a DORA, and assigned priority levels. I put down a deposit thinking that might help. I just ordered it on 6/28, and they say I'll hear from them when my order gets scheduled for production. (What factors go into this ... Color? Location? Deposit? Retail or Fleet order? Trim? Options?).

3). Production started on June 23rd from what I hear. That means some of you should get them soon. Let us know what you think! And if any of you happened to order from Sturman & Larkin in Pittsburgh (or any other dealer really in Pgh), that'd be good to know too.
    Hi - congrats on your order! There is no reason to believe that the 09 FEH won't also qualify for the tax credit. However, based on sales numbers, I believe that Ford crossed the 60,000 sale threshhold in June which means the credit will reduce to half on October 1st. Elgibility of the credit is based on the date you receive the vehicle, not date the order was placed.

Don't think there is much to do to push your order forward - my understanding is the priority is: 1) Retail sales, 2) Dealer Stock and last 3) Fleet sales.

They have been starting to ship out of Kansas City, I expect many of us that are waiting on VINs should start hearing something in the next two weeks or so...
    From what I can gather, the IRS is treating the 08 and later FEH's as a separate vehicle than pre-08 (?)

2008 IRS Vehicle Tax Credit Schedule: http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=176409,00.html
    2007 IRS Vehicle Tax Credit Schedule: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=176419,00.html

2007 and earlier qualify for $2600, while 2008 still qualifies for $3000.

Explanation of tax credit calculation: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html
    Yes - the 2008 credit went up - but if you look at other vehicles that increased the credit because of engine enhancements, it did not "reset" the 60,000 sales cap. I believe that all sales of FEH/MMH since Jan. 1st 2006 count towards the 60,000.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=167435,00.html
    Waaahh...

Is there a more updated version of the IRS credit? Just wondering who has the up to date numbers...
    Haven't seen an updated IRS bulletin, but using Ford's retail sales reporting, they had sold approx. 50,300 between jan 06 and Dec 07 (FEH and MMH combined). Last week ir was reported that Ford sold 9,300 in 08 through the end of May...clearly they are close to the 60,000 mark and probably surpassed it in June 08. Let's hope that Kansas City begins to role them out in large numbers soon!
  • jlcomstockjlcomstock Member Posts: 14
    Yeah, it'd be nice if the tax credits were fixed and didn't change, but they vary by auto manufacturer, model, and fiscal quarter (tied with overall sales numbers).

That's why I'm wondering ... I haven't seen new sales numbers or IRS information at all this year. Up through the end of 2007, the FEH was still available for the full credit, as Ford had not sold 60,000 yet. But sales are getting definitely getting up there... If they hit 60k already this year, I might not see any credit or just a partial one ... however ... if they don't hit 60k until November, I'd get the full credit come tax time. Wish I knew ...
    Even if (which - believe they have) hit the 60,000 mark, we have until Sep 30th to qualify for the full credit, and then 6 months (Mar 30 09) to qualify for 1/2 the credit...
  • rilian1rilian1 Member Posts: 3
    Just another data point on price/schedule.

I ordered the following on 5/06/08 in Minnesota under X-Plan for $28,854.

FEH AWD Base Model (no options).

Other schedules I have seen suggest about 3 weeks from sequence date (a specific production week has been assigned) to ship date so may arrive in August however depends on how it falls with respect to two week line shutdown for summer end of July.

Receipt Date: 5/6/2008
    Serialize Date: 6/26/2008
    Segment Date: 6/26/2008
    Sequence Date: 7/2/2008
    Blend Date:
    Produced Date:
    Gate Release Date:
    Ship Date:
  • michaelwehomichaelweho Member Posts: 12
    Hi - I have a small deposit on a 2009 Escape Hybrid. Never thought I would be wanting to buy American - but that is another story. But - time for me to be proud!!

I am being told that the ship or receive date is 7/7 - but I have received no info from my dealer (Los Angeles).

Does anyone have sticker info - my dealer has been unable to provide - I have my deposit on the FWD with all options.

Has anyone received their new SUV - or does anyone have a "real" ETA?

Thanks - I would appreciate any responses!!!
    I ordered a fully loaded Ford Escape Hybrid Limited on April 20. My dealer says my order is "clean but unscheduled". No VIN. No scheduled production date. No estimated delivery date.

Since the Claycomo, MO plant where they are built is about to take two weeks off for scheduled vacations, I don't expect delivery of the vehicle anytime soon.

According to articles in the Kansas City Star, a third shift is supposed to start August 11 on the Escape/Mariner/Tribute line. Perhaps we'll see more vehicles coming off the line by then.
  • crysnstevecrysnsteve Member Posts: 17
    I have been reading this thread for a few weeks, I wanted to let anyone out there interested that lives in the Denver area that the Longmont Ford in Longmont is expecting some 2009 FEH 4wd limited in the next two weeks. I know they have a white one on order . They also have several 08 hybrids on the lot at this time. Good luck!
  • hdtechhdtech Member Posts: 11
    Fred. I have the same problem. "Clean" but "Unscheduled" and they are telling me that this allocation is truly a waiting game over which they have absolutely no control. This is frustrating as we ordered a 2008 but passed when it finally showed up in May. I didnt want end of the year stuff and I really liked the changed coming to the 2009.

We are in Colorado Springs so not the biggest market in the world but respectable nonetheless. To see the later post that Longmont CO will have 2 this weekend really ticked me off. We are at least 5-6x bigger than they are. OK, they are a remote Denver suburb.... I am just frustrated.

If anyone has any suggestion to get my 2009 sooner, please post or PM me!!
    Have you inquired at BlueOval.com? If you have your VIN, one of the Ford Employees who works at the production plant is nice enough to look up your vehicle to see where it is in the 10-step process, but you must have your VIN. Other people who have ordered the FEH are currently tracking their orders there as well. You can see how your order date compares to theirs and how their process schedule is relative to yours. Those who ordered as early as late April are expecting them next week! Check out this forum:

link title

If you are getting to the point of desperation, you can try eBay. I have noticed one dealer put up 2009 FEHs/FEHLs for auction. No one has met his reserve price yet - actually no one has gone above $25K in a bid which is strange because this car should prove to be pretty popular. The dealership leaves contact info on the auction page, you may be able to go that route, but you will have to pay for 3rd party delivery service to your location:

link title

Don't be disappointed about missing out on the 2008. I am sure you'll be much happier with the 2009 considering many of the changes.

My hybrid is scheduled for delivery in either the last week of July or 1st week of August. I may not be able to keep it though. I'm applying for medical school and may need the extra cash. If I do, I'll make sure to inform posters on here. It's a black FEHL, no navigation.

Anyone read articles about the 2009 Prius running accessories like A/C on solar panels? Oops... was it taboo to mention Toyota on this board (?)
  • richardmayorichardmayo Member Posts: 26
    For those of you who have ordered, here's some info you may find useful:

For what it is worth, these are the stages of a vehicles production, from order placement to purchase:

Receipt Date: The date that MS&S recorded the order.
    When the order is received from the dealers

Serialize Date: The date that MS&S transfers the order to MP&L and the VIN is created.
    When the order is received by Material Planning and parts are ordered

Segment Date: The date that MP&L determines which week the order will be built.
    When they figure what week that parts will be able to be delivered to the plant to build the vehicle

Sequence Date:
    The date that MP&L determines which day the order will be built.
    When they figure what day that parts can be at the plant to build the vehicle

Blend Date:
    The date that MP&L determines when the order will be built within the assigned day.
    When they figure the specific order that vehicles will be built. This depends on options and line constraints.

Produced Date: The date that VO finished assembling the vehicle
    Your unit has been built!

Gate Release Date:
    The date that VO transfers the vehicle to Transportation Carriers for shipping
    Your unit has left the building, and is in the hands of the shipper (rail or truck)

Ship Date:
    The date the vehicle left the Assembly Plant
    Your unit has left the load site, and is on it's way to the dealer

Arrival Date: The date the Dealership received the vehicle
    Your dealer has the unit in hand, doing the dealer prep thingy

Sold Date
    : The date the Customer picked up the vehicle
    You came in, looked it over, said, "I'll take it!" and signed the papers

Once the order is placed, Ford will begin the scheduling process for your vehicle. For all intents and purposes, it is just a waiting game from that point on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- - - - ------------------------

Check out the "Priority" number on your order.

Ford Dealers can enter orders with priority codes ranging from 10-99. The lower the number, the higher the priority for scheduling vehicles for production. Most Dealers order "Retail" orders, those vehicles that are sold and ordered for specific customers, with a priority "10" so that those orders will be scheduled for production ahead of stock orders which might be ordered with priority codes 20-79. When a Dealer has allocation for that week's scheduling, Ford generates "Suggested Orders" which are always generated with a priority code of 80. They do this so that the "Suggested Orders" are prioritized behind most Dealers stock orders. Even so, Dealers can order vehicles with a "99" priority code which is supposed to mean that Ford is not authorized to schedule the unit under any circumstances.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

I'm not a Ford insider, but I am considering on '09 FEH, so I've been doing some research.
    All of this info comes from people in the know at here
    It won't make you any happier, but I was just in Denver the second week of April, to take in the "Frozen Four" and meet my cousin and his wife, who live in Longmont. I guess I should have stayed long enough to order my FEHL, right? Then again, I'm not sure I would want to drive back to the suburbs of DC as the first trip in the new vehicle. :D
  • hdtechhdtech Member Posts: 11
    thanks neuroboy. I have asked the dealer for a VIN but I dont think it would be there yet until they get an allocation.

The other details about the priority number is very interesting too.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. This site is awesome.