Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• fmorrisofmorriso Member Posts: 52
    Did anybody catch the fact that picture #5 very appropriately shows the artist as "Motorhead"?

Careful with the rocks and dirt. Don't want "wash me" drawn on the glass after less than a week of ownership :)
  • michaelwehomichaelweho Member Posts: 12
    So - the first stock vehicle I had a deposit down on - hit the dealership in LA, CA. I decided to end my relationship with that dealership as I feel that the Internet Manager was an idiot.

I now have a new stock vehicle on order with a different dealership that seems awesome. And the new dealership is closer to home. But still waiting - Decided I did not need the navigation system and the markup from this new dealership is less - only 1K over MSRP. The other was 2k over MSRP.

Of course, I am looking at stock items expected for delivery - not custom delivery.

Wondering - if Ford is producing stock items first and custom orders later thinking they already have custom order folks hooked!!! Just a thought!!!

Still awaiting!!!
  • burnsvaburnsva Member Posts: 35
    I have been told by my dealer the priority is: 1) retail sales (custom orders), 2) dealer stock and 3) fleet sales.
  • cwgmlscwgmls Member Posts: 5
    I was told by my dealer today that the delay in shipping had something to do with a "mass quality control" issue. I had a ship date of 6/25 and am still waiting here in NJ. The blueoval forum listed it as a weather related delay. I wonder what the real issue is. I'm hoping to get my FEH before the end of the month so can turn in my leased '05 Freestyle - don't want to make another payment.
  • alfredckalfredck Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for sharing!! It looks awesome. Is that a split window I see? I don't remember seeing those before...
  • crysnstevecrysnsteve Member Posts: 17
    No it does not have a split window, but on the drivers side back it looks like some kind of vent thing in the back window. Maybe it has something to do with the battery.

My husband wanted the nav system, I'm glad we got it, it's a pretty cool feature. It already needs a wash, guess it's the Rocky Mtn. afternoon rain.

I'm anxiously awaiting you all to get yours and hear what you think. :)
    "Mass Quality Control" issue is a bit worrisome. Anyone else heard of this?
  • mabatchemabatche Member Posts: 7
    Apparently my order finally shipped on 7/18. Thanks to the people over at blueoval for supplying me the info. Now, I just have to sit back and wonder how long its gonna take to get from KC to southern Illinois.. :) Anyone else in this area (chicago even) recieved theirs yet?

Heres the info from Blueoval....

For those of you interested, its a standard FEH fwd with a moonroof and nav system added.

Receipt Date: 5/10/2008
    Serialize Date: 5/15/2008
    Segment Date: 5/15/2008
    Sequence Date: 6/11/2008
    Blend Date: 6/18/2008
    Produced Date: 6/26/2008
    Gate Release Date: 7/17/2008
    Ship Date: 7/18/2008
    Arrival Date:
    Sold Date:
  • cwgmlscwgmls Member Posts: 5
    I'm just concerned that they got caught in the floods from a few weeks ago, considering blueoval posted mine with a ship date of 6/25 and as of yesterday my dealer has no idea where it is.
  • neuroboy002neuroboy002 Member Posts: 24
    Check out the edmunds.com user reviews. There is one up for the 2009 FEH and this person gave it a rating under 7. This person couldn't have had it for more than a
    week considering 2009 ship dates (!?) Based on the review date, perhaps they accidentally reviewed a 2008 and posted it under 2009. It would be a hapless mistake though - how could the reviewer think that they would be the sole reviewer for a particular 2008 vehicle, a hybrid no less, on edmunds.com?
    If you read the review they stated that after putting 50,000 miles on the car they have problems. I can't imagine how someone could have put 50k on an 09 yet.. so i have to assume its on an 08 or 07 or something.
  • therock515therock515 Member Posts: 6
    Just an update from the East Coast. My dealer in Columbia, MD called and said my 2009 FWD FEH will be arriving on August 8th. I had ordered it on July 6th. More details to follow.
    Yes, I know. That's obvious. It's just unfortunate that the 2009 model has to start from an average rating based on someone else's mistake.
    Just spoke with my dealer tonight. My Hybrid was delivered and is waiting for me at the dealership! Now, unfortuanatly, I can't go pick it up until tuesday. :( (the dealer is 5.5 hours away from here.. )
    Where are you located? Your FEH and mine shipped on the same day so I am speculating it's on the same railcar. I'm assuming you're East of me. I'm in CA.
    I was informed today to expect my FEH Limited the week of 9/1 (maybe sooner) blue oval tracking seems to confirm - I ordered it on 5/8 and it looks like it'll make it just under the 4 month mark (10 weeks if you count from production start up) - and it looks like I'll be getting it for only $800 over invoice (negotiated price from dealer + $1,000 in rebates).
  • pobre08pobre08 Member Posts: 8
    Rebates? What rebates?
    Another example of somebody who ordered well after I did that is getting their vehicle.

I'm still in line for the silver medal for earliest order (April 21, 2008) that still hasn't been scheduled. My only consolation is knowing there is a guy who ordered April 18, 2008 that is in the same situation.
    If you join the American Quarter Horse Association ($35 annual dues) and are a member for sixty days prior to purchase - you qualify for a $500 partner rebate (X plans excluded), additionally, Ford has extended its college student rebate and included the 09 Escape and Hybrid as a qualifying purchase (another $500 - x plans excluded).
  • ganggreenganggreen Member Posts: 4
    I ordered a White Suede FEH AWD on April 18th and still haven't gotten a VIN#. I am told I am #13 in the queue, whatever that means. Ordered from Rhinebeck Ford in the Hudson Valley, NY. Paid $1,000 over MSRP and left them with a $3,000 deposit. Such a shame. I really wanted that car. :confuse:
  • pobre08pobre08 Member Posts: 8
    Hmmm....our dealer said that we could combine college graduate rebate with X-Plan...We have a white suede MMH on order.
    On the paperwork from ford for the College Student Cash Program, it says, "The College Student Purchase Program offer may be used in conjunction with most other Ford Motor Company national incentives, but not with any private offers such as certificates, coupons or A, X, D and Z plans."
  • warrentoolwarrentool Member Posts: 3
    fmorriso,
    I have been watching for your posts closely hoping you come up with the magic key to get moving on with the process. I put my order in on 22 April and have no VIN yet as well. I feel your pain. I called Ford customer service and they could not or would tell me anything or could not get me to someone that has the facts. I am thinking it has something to do with an allocation. My dealer says he has one. Wishing us all luck!
    Today, at 1:00 PM EDT, my sales rep called me and informed me that somebody at Ford (didn't say what part) called the Regional Sales Manager who in turn called the dealer Sales Manager who told my sales rep that my vehicle "will be built sometime in September and as soon as we have a Serialized Date or a VIN I'll let you know". I sensed that he may have just come from "the wood shed" (perhaps along with his DSM) because he didn't sound too happy.

My response: Thank you for calling. Please don't call me back unless it's to report the full VIN number of my vehicle. Our conversation ended at that point.
    Hi There,

I received my car yesterday - it was an item that was coming in for stock - White Suede - looks awesome. I had placed a deposit down for it appx one week ago. It is awesome - looks great and has some nice features - very happy that it is blue tooth compatible for my cell - since here in California we can no longer drive with a cell phone to an ear (must be hands free).

Suggestion for everyone out there waiting. Call around to find out what stock items your dealerships have allocated to them and put a deposit down on one of them. There are so few options except color that you should be able to find one from stock that meets your needs. Sorry - but it appears that stock items are being delivered first. I think that Ford is giving most of those with special orders the run around. Good luck - everyone!!!
    Congratulations!

Please post pictures of your vehicle, because the one I have on order since April 21 is White Suede and the only Ford vehicle I could use to determine what that color looked like was a 2008 Ford Expedition sitting on the dealer's lot.

There is a My CarSpace link at the top of the page that should allow you to upload the pictures. Alternatively, I can show you how to get a free ShutterFly account to post them too.

Is your vehicle the Hybrid Limited version (300A or 700A) or the regular Hybrid (350A or 750A)?

Is your vehicle FWD (U49) or 4WD (U59)?

Did you get the Navigation System (60N) ? I'm particularly interested in photos of the two screens associated with the Energy Monitoring System and gas mileage.
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    A salesperson in Daly City, CA sent me an email Saturday evening stating that they had taken delivery of six 2009 FEH. Perhaps if someone is in the area, they can give them a call. I'm hoping my order was among those they received but I haven't received a confirmation yet.
  • ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    Sounds like California is hopping. I just got as message from our dealer in Sonoma. Car is arriving in the morning (Tuesday.)

Now, I gotta get my 2005 Escape Limited sold! Probably will ride up tomorrow to give them the go ahead on installing the step bars (since Ford dropped the ball on the factory install and the dealer needs my in person go ahead.)

Will pick up this weekend.

Regards,
    I picked mine up this last saturday 7/26... By far the coolest car I've ever owned. Not having owned a FEH prior to this, I have nothing to compare it to.. but running in electric mode, I've been able to go *about* 18 miles to work before the engine kicked in. (my commute is mostly residential roads anyway). But, either way, I could get up to 40 without trying all that hard in electric mode.

I also sprang for the NAV system with all the integrated sync/sirius stuff. While it was expensive, it is very cool. Got it paired with 2 cell phones, 3 ipods and a usb drive. works great!

The Sirius Travel link thing is pretty cool. Nothing like laying a radar weather image over the top of your GPS map... pretty cool.

Hope everyone else has such a positive experience!
    Maybe those who have received or are receiving their FEH's soon should say where they are, that might help others. I got mine, live in Colorado
    I'm in Illinois.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    " I've been able to go *about* 18 miles to work before the engine kicked in. (my commute is mostly residential roads anyway)."

That doesn't seem possible - it would equate to 100MPG or so (actually, 999MPG for those 18 miles).

Are you sure you aren't misreading the energy display somehow?
    Nope.. it was in full electric mode. But, remember, I was *trying* to keep it electric. So, I wasn't really driving all that normal. Had I been driving normal the engine would have ran for sure. (i.e. - I started extremely slow from a stop - so had someone been behind me, it wouldn't have been practical).

Thats my record so far.. most of the time, the engine is kicking in and out all the time..
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    So what was your MPG over that 18 miles?
    This is where I get confused on what the car thinks. So, the nav system displays your mpg for the last 15 minutes, or your average since you last reset the counter. (im assuming its since last reset). So, my average (since this is only my second tank of gas) is 32 overall at the moment. While I was doing my little experiment my average went from 29-32 roughly. (it was like 31.7 or something). So, over those 18 miles, I really don't know. It made my average jump a lot higher than it had any other way.. But, since I hadn't reset the counter.. (im assuming this is how it works mind you) for those 18.. no idea.

Incidentally, I gave it another shot tonight.... I only made it 2 miles before I goosed it too much and the engine kicked in...

Its like a big game.. my wife hates me right now since I keep driving really slowly all over the place.. :)
  • rilian1rilian1 Member Posts: 3
    I got mine last week in Minnesota. Very impressed at how smooth and quiet the transition is back and forth from EV to ICE. I can't detect the change without instrumentation.
  • ddawesddawes Member Posts: 14
    Congratulations to all that have received their respective FEH. I guess the train hasn't made it to the state of Washington yet! I hope it's still on the tracks. :confuse:
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    I hope dealer stock has at least equal priority as special orders; my dealer won't take deposits. He ordered one for me as dealer stock in early July. No response from Ford yet as to whether or not they will fill the order. Seems like a crapshoot at this time, but he said to give it a couple weeks and he should know by then.

Here's hoping...... :confuse:
  • bjcarterbjcarter Member Posts: 28
    i was told it was in Cheyenne, WY yesterday... :) That's progress.

For they looked in the future and what did they see, They saw an iron road runnin from sea to the sea, Bringin the goods to a young growin land, All up through the seaports and into their hands...
  • hdtechhdtech Member Posts: 11
    Well I am now a happy camper...

After talking with my local dealership one last time, they still said my 2009 FEH was clean/unsched and could not update me with a timeline.

So I got in touch with Longmont Ford (CO) and they do have allocations and are only 100mi away. As a matter of fact they are getting 5 allocations per month for at least the next 6 months. They quote and list each one at 3K over MSRP (and are getting it) but I was able to get them down to 1K over for a custom order. However, they will not budge below that 1K. They are getting the allocations b/c they are the only Ford dealer in Boulder Cty, which our local ultra left wing congregation point so Ford looks to be playing a bit of PR with the early production. For those of you in CO, these guys are saying that the rest of the dealerships wont have anything till Dec. Of course that is pretty hard to validate but something to keep in mind if you want the full tax credit

Anyway... They had received 5 as of last week and there was 1 left on the lot. I mostly wanted to drive one to compare with the 2008. I was very impressed. Brakes feel better, the extra HP is noticeable, and the ICE is quieter (I think due to the extra HP). And the biggest thing is that the NAV is not a POS like in the 2008. The whole interface on the NAV is completely different than the 2008 and is actually very usable and fairly comparable to something aftermarket. It isnt DVD based anymore and thus no update costs every couple of years. It is all satellite based and is supposed to be up to date all the time. Does real time traffic too....

Previously, I was deadset against getting the NAV just for its lack of value but I quickly fell in love. With a little haggling, I was at $700 under MSRP and driving off the lot. Not too bad considering what I have seen others paying. It is a 4WD limited, NAV, Step Bars, & Black Pearl color.

Love the vehicle.... 33MPG hwy on the way home (although it is a bit of an art to maintain the higher MPG). I havent yet cracked 40MPH in EV mode and other than that, I havent played with it too much. I will be happy to answer any other questions out there.

FWIW, Longmont Ford has a Vista Blue one in the production line now that they told me was not sold yet. I worked with Joey T(sales) and Dave S(mgr) and would highly recommend them.
  • jawsontjawsont Member Posts: 1
    I've been lurking for a while debating on a purchase of the FEH. I finally started the process here in Ottawa Canada, they have one for sale for $31 900 plus tax and admin. Do you think that this is a good deal? I noticed that the Edmunds TMV states that others are paying about $29k US for this vehicle (it includes the moonroof/satellite). I'm torn, I bought my Prius in the US for considerably less than here in Canada (there's been a consumer backlash due to our inflated vehicle prices over the past year and a half), but it would appear that 31900 vs. 29000 is pretty close considering that we have about $4500 in eco-rebates.

Any opinions?
    HI
    So excited you got your FEH, if you heard about Longmont Ford from me on this thread, can you tell em I referred ya? That would be too cool. I bought the first one they got from Rod and Dave. Enjoy your ride. I'm so excited for ya.
    Please PM your information and I will give Joey a call. Not sure if they will honor after the fact but I am willing to try.
    Looks like you are getting 2900 over MSRP. That is pretty common if you read around so by no means is it an unfair deal. I would suggest the NAV.
    For those of us in the US that have taken ownership of a new 2009 - what is the process for proof of purchase and what forms do we need for our 2009 taxes?

Anyone know?

Thanks!
    Couple minor updates/corrections to my long winded post.

1) 40MPH in EV appears to be a hard lockout speed. I was just coasting down a hill in EV the whole time and not really pressing on the gas and every time I hit 40MPH, the ICE kicked on. That is a little disappointing. Not sure that feature will break in. Although I was able to repeat the other experience driving around for 5 or miles at 100MPG+ in EV nearly all the time. Of course not realistic to maintain in a real world scenario.

2) Not true about the NAV not needing updates. The quick reference NAV manual says that to stay up to date with maps, etc, you need to purchase NAVTEQ updates. And several of the interactive travel related features like traffic and weather radar overlay need SIRIUS to keep going. So that was misleading from the dealer, although, I knew more about the car than they did so that is not a huge shock.

3) Quick ref NAV manual says the internal hard drive is 40GB, not 10GB. Need to validate this though. I sure would like to know where this hard drive is. Should be very cheap to increase the capacity. In due time...
    When I bought my 07 Camry Hybrid I was able to claim the full credit. I used an electronic filing system and when it came to the question about buying an alternative fuel vehicle, I clicked yes and it kicked out forms # 3800 "General Business Credit" and 8910 "Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit". At that time there was no proof of purchase needed, it just asked when you purchased the vehicle. I would figure they'd want a VIN or something. I guess if they have a question they can find you! Hopefully the same process will be used this year.
    The train made it to Washington!! I was going by my dealer this evening as the transport was getting ready to off load my FEH. I was able to look at it a bit before he took it into the compound, since the dealer was closed. I'm sure the dealer will get it detailed as soon as they can tomorrow morning. I'm happy to see she's finally here! :)
  • baraboodadbaraboodad Member Posts: 20
    Reading this, I am a bit envious of the people lucky enough to live near Longmont, Colorado.

Does anyone have any information on when Ford will decide what orders will be filled or not? Our order "as dealer stock" was placed in early July, and other than being an accepted "clean" order, no info yet. :confuse:

thanks in advance.
  • papalimapapalima Member Posts: 6
    About the updates... yeah, the nav system will need updating from time to time. It's not all that big of a deal.

I don't know about the Fords (don't have mine yet!) but most manufacturers' systems use a DVD. You load the nav DVD in and it *stays* in your vehicle.

Right now, an update for the 2008 FEH would run you 150 bucks. To see what I mean, go to www.navigation.com. On the left side of the page, it'll say UPDATE YOUR MAP. You click through the options (built-in factory, Ford, FEH, year) and it'll eventually get to the page that has the description of the DVD on it.

As you can see if you poke around a bit, they DO update various areas. For example, in my gf's 2007 Honda CR-V, we recently went to a concert (The Police!) at the ampitheatre in George, Washington. (it's a real place, look it up.)

On the little county roads to the venue, some of them weren't updated on the map with names and they were just a tiny bit off from where the GPS said we were.

As I understand it, what happens is that the mapping companies use two methods for verifying their maps. They have the information from all the municipalities, blend it with satellite pictures, etc, and then load it up. That's the lesser-quality version, actually.

The higher-quality roads are ones that they've actually gone out and driven cars around on. They've got super-duper GPS systems and it keeps track of where everything's at.

So as they keep adding areas where they've driven, each year they'll add more info to the DVD, and those areas appear as having been "updated" on their web sites when us owners go to look for a new DVD.

The DVDs also are updated with all the info for the businesses that are in there (the new sandwich shop on the corner, the gas station that went out of business, etc) so that stuff changes.

So the answer to the ultimate question of "do you need to update your GPS/NAV system?" is "it depends". If you travel a ton and rely on it to be super-accurate for finding stuff, yeah, you might want to update it every year.

If you're a normal person, no, it's almost certainly NOT worth updating more than every few years or so.

Oh, and one more thing for those who don't have a problem with pirated software... sometimes if you do some searching on the warez sites, you can find disk images of the newest versions of the DVDs and save yourself 150-200 bucks. Of course, you have to be able to burn the disk and know how to do all that (and if you don't know what a "warez" site is, then you're not going to be able to do it and should ignore this paragraph- just stick with buying it from the company.)