Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• ilovehybridsilovehybrids Member Posts: 1
    Wow Jeff, I really appreciate all the information on buying my FEH online. I've been really interested in buying one of these and you've shown me a great way to save a couple...hundred dollars!! Once again thanks, the info was great.

Ford Hybrid
  • testestestes Member Posts: 13
    This has been a great forum. I took the advice of others and made a great deal on my Mercury "little green sprout" (LGS). I started my research on Edmunds.com. Found the price for all the options I wanted and determined color. This lead to the option of requesting quotes from multiple dealers in my area.

First email came from Leominster, MA. A simple request for a quote over the internet lead to 4 phone calls from them, 4 emails (from 2 different people) and never a price. It didn't take long to just say no.

Second email came from the dealer in Shrewsbury, MA. This was the closest dealership to my home. However, their idea of a good price was MSRP of 34,220 (4WD, Premium, Moon Roof). Their story was, "... we cannot find a red one for you locally...blah, blah, blah... we can order it..." The sales people were very nice. Went for an informative ride with the family. Chatted us up, then the manager dropped the full price bomb. I left without a car, and began to doubt the process.

Third email came from a dealership in Framingham, MA that had just closed as a Mercury dealership and reopened as a Nissan. They said I needed an Xterra. Didn't bother with them at all.

Forth email came from Acton Lincoln Mercury. Not only did I get an immediate response, but I also got a very good price. The email contained a copy of the sticker and their discounted offer. No haggling, no pressure, no phone calls. After much thought (and a lengthy business trip), I finally drove the 30 min to see if they actually had the car on the lot. I was afraid they would be a "bait and switch" operation. A pleasant surprise ! Turns out they did indeed have my choice in options and color on the lot. The sales people were very knowledgeable. They were honest when they didn't know the answer to all my questions, and found out the correct answers. Not only did they honor the internet quote, but came off an additional $500 on the spot. Bottom line is: $250 over invoice and almost $1700 under the TMV price. Did not try to sell any undercoating, sealants, or other snake oils. Just the car.

The price given on my trade in was $1000 more than the trade in value as listed on the Edmunds Used Car Appraiser and only $300 below the Private Party value. Considering the tax advantage, this was a good deal (yes, the value of the trade in was subtracted from the selling price of the LGS to determine total tax liability, therefore a better deal than a private party sale). Only a $95 processing fee on top of normal state taxes.

Edmunds.com made my research and acquisition very easy. I recommend both Acton Lincoln Mercury and Edmunds.com. Both are professionals ! I'll keep the forums posted with my satisfaction levels in the future. :D
  • vws1vws1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to Jeff I was able to save a great deal in purchasing a new Ford Escape hybrid '06. I live in DC and found a reasonable price by getting quotes from several dealers. Some dealers offered no come-down off the MSRP and a couple offered a somewhat lower price. One in particular offered a very low price saving me a bundle (Darcars, Lanham, MD). There are also certain perks I wasn't aware of:

MSRP for the options I chose: $30,610
    Price I got at the dealer: $28,760 (saved $1850)
    Interest on 60 month loan: 0% (saved about $1400)
    DC sales tax on hybrids: 0% (saved about $2000)
    Federal income tax credit on hybrids: $1965 (I'll get back $1965)

This means that I saved about $7250 compared to the cost of a non-hybrid car with a 5% loan going for $30,610 with no price decrease from the dealer.

I can't wait to see how much I save on gas!

Thanks again Jeff.
  • newbridnewbrid Member Posts: 4
    Used the ford website to locate inventory, very easy indeed. Each of the three dealers in my area had exactly one loaded FEH. Two in silver, one in Red. Dealers contacted me with form "we'll get back to you" emails and thought I'd never hear from them again.
    One guy at Suddard (SE Mass.) actually contacted me! We went up there and test drove the car and were impressed. I asked if there was any room on price and he said "well, I'll see what I can do, but hybrids are rather desirable"...not encouraging!
    MSRP was 34,315
    My wife told him we'd walk if it was over $32k. The sales manager pleaded with us for $32.1 with 0% for 60mos. The financing really put us over the edge...if Ford's giving us free money for five years, I'll take it!

My one concern is the Dealer did NOT know the Hybrid warranty! Stating several times that Hybrid components were warranteed for 10 years. It isn't really clear on the website either, but in the manual it does state 8yrs.
  • sharminsharmin Member Posts: 2
    Purchased from Pearson ford in san diego.
    MSRP: $29,300
    Price Paid: $27,725
    Interest rate: 1.9% for 72 months (I needed the smaller payment)
    Rebate: $500 for recent college grad (which so far, I haven't showed proof of because I forgot!)
    Final price: $27,225 plus taxes, lic, fees. which came to $29697.
    Drive off payment: $0 down (used the rebate), first payment due June 11.
    Hope this helps anyone looking to buy.
  • raysrays Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 4WD FEH from a dealer in CT for a great deal. Over the past 6 years we had leased 2 Ford Explorers and bought one (the most recent) so we had some purchasing history with the dealership. Also, the past 2 Ford Explorers we had purchased using Ford's X-Plan.
    We first drove the vehicle on 2/22, they had only one on the lot. When we went back in early April, the same vehicle was still there along with another FEH. The vehicle was a different color than what we preferred and it also had the Appearance option that we were not interested in. After we talked about trying to locate another vehicle that better matched our preferences, the sales manager offered to sell us the vehicle at the X-Plan price minus the cost of the Appearance option. My guess is that since it had been on the lot for at least a couple of months and that they had an additional FEH in stock, the dealership was interested in moving this vehicle. We decided to buy it at the below X-Plan price. The timing of the deal was fabulous for us.
    Given that the price of gas has jumped over the past few weeks and our need for another economical car, we are happy with the purchase.
    Had the full fillup after a week and a half of driving. 1st fillup over 29MPG!!!
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Pearson Ford is a leader in alternate vehicles & fuel also. They own the only gas station in CA that sells E85, along with several other alternatives like biodiesel.
  • sharminsharmin Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, they have a fancy building just off of the 15 freeway. My son actually toured it on a field trip with his classmates awhile ago. When I brought home the escape, he got really excited and told me all he knew about it. He's eleven and thinks the hybrid thing is so cool!
    I feel like I was treated pretty well there. I got a price quote with incentives, payments, etc. through email before I ever went in, which I loved, no other ford dealer did that. I hate talking on the phone or going in to the dealer, being a young blond female I feel like prey walking in the door. and they would be right!
  • cars4240cars4240 Member Posts: 1
    Jeff -

Is there some way you can trick the Ford web site to give you a list of all dealers in a 50 or 100 mile radius. Right now it asks for a zip code or a city and then you get a group of dealers. I am looking for a 2006 FEH

Thanks
    Dan
  • newfehownernewfehowner Member Posts: 1
    Purchased from Beverly Hills Ford (LA)
    MSRP:27,795 (asking price, $30,285)
    Price Paid: $26,000
    Financing: 0%/60 Months
    Had to put $300 down but they added the 72 mo/75,000 mile warranty and Vehicle Recovery Plan at no cost to me! Didn't realize it at the time of purchase but noticed on the way home that the vehicle has a 6 disk changer (was never listed on the sticker so I consider it a bonus :) )

Final price: $29128.00 including taxes, lic, fees

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy.
  • jeff_hjeff_h Member Posts: 20
    Dan -

With regards to the zip codes, no way to get around it that I know of, so I just opened another browser in another window to USPS.com and went to the search zip code area, then put in names of cities and such and used it that way... I'm sure I missed a few dealerships here and there, but was confident that I got the vast majority in the area.

I was just adamant about 1) finding just the color and options my wife wanted, and 2) staying out of the dealership until things were agreed upon, to take away that home turf advantage that I (and many others) get frustrated over when they give that runaround to keep the price high.

Good luck!
    Jeff
  • whisky6whisky6 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,i was looking at a 2006 hybrid in elma,wa and as i was going thru the options list they came to a little over 28,000 dollars,no t&l,then as i was looking at the other lists that were on the window i saw a sticker that said the price was 28,000+5,000 dollar dealer markup which then put the price of this vehicle 34,000 dollars plus tax which i believe grays harbor cty. is 8%,that puts the cost at over 36720 dollars,but what galled me more was 5,000 dollar markup,thank,s whisky1
  • waltawalta Member Posts: 13
    "My one concern is the Dealer did NOT know the Hybrid warranty! Stating several times that Hybrid components were warranteed for 10 years. It isn't really clear on the website either, but in the manual it does state 8yrs."

It is 8 years (100K miles) in some states, and 10 years (150K miles) in others. I know that in CA, it is 10 years.
  • newbridnewbrid Member Posts: 4
    "My one concern is the Dealer did NOT know the Hybrid warranty! Stating several times that Hybrid components were warranteed for 10 years. It isn't really clear on the website either, but in the manual it does state 8yrs."

This is EXACTLY what I experienced! Somewhere, at some point, someone at ford must have put this in some sales/training lit.!
    It's definitely 8/100k in my manual.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    It's definitely 8/100k in my manual.

It is 8 yrs 100k miles for the whole US mandated by the EPA. In the 5 CARB states it is 10 yrs 150k mandated by the stricter AT-PZEV regulation.
  • damianinpadamianinpa Member Posts: 22
    Question...Does Ford offer any kind of Leasing on the Escape Hybrid. I like to lease. Paying 30K for the vehicle over 5 or even 6 years can be a big car payment. Is this an option?? I haven't seen any lease deals, only end of year buying deals of 1.9% and such. If anyone has leased, I would be interested in hearing what you pay per month. I am in a Freestyle right now which I love, but, might scale back to a smaller vehicle next year.
  • devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    I just bought a 2007 Escape FEH from Dean Sellers Ford - Troy Michigan. I started looking for 2006, which they were unable to get for me. They did offer me $200 over "A Plan" for a 2007. I am not connected with Ford, and did not qualify for A Plan. I started with Email inquiries to 4 area dealerships asking them to quote a price of a Hybrid set-up the way I wanted it. I made a point in my Email to list all 4 Dealers by name, and that I would buy the car from the low bidder. Starting with Email cut out all the BS. 2 of the Dealers would not quote a price and wanted me to come in and talk it out, so they were out of the running. The 2 other dealers did give me a quote by Email. I went to the low bidder, and used the Email as a starting place. The whole thing took about 3 days from time I sent out the first Emails to the point I had the bids back. It worked out real well for me, and would do it the same way again the next time I am in the market for a car. I would definely recommend this process for anyone who does not access to "A/B/X Plan":)
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    sadly, i doubt you got what you think you got. i'm so sure a dealer will take a true $500 to move a freeking 07 hybrid. you may have got the price but i assure you they made up the difference and then some on the trade/financing/warranty/whatever else. congrats on running in a circle!
  • advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    you saved more than that. you wouldnt have got a 5% loan on a non hybrid without sacrificing rebate money. when you bought your hybrid, you didnt hve to give up anything. you bought at the right time.
  • devomidevomi Member Posts: 10
    I confirmed the A Plan price off the Factory Invoice, and paid cash. I did have a trade-in, but that deal was cut B4 when I was looking for 2006. In the negotiations for the 2007, they increased the trade-in from $7000 to $7700 for a 2001 Expedition. It was the last day of the Month, and they wanted to pump-up their sales figures.
  • ericbigwongericbigwong Member Posts: 7
    given the gas price has dropped from almost $4 a gallon to under $2.50, anyone getting better deals in the Silicon Valley area? Pricing info much appreciated.
  • quantifirequantifire Member Posts: 21
    Just picked up an '07 FWD, Tungsten Gray, with safety canopy, appearance package, and 110V outlet, for $26,863 (MSRP was $27,815), plus got 3.9% for 72 months and 1,000 bonus cash.
  • sl1der10sl1der10 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '07 FEH AWD in Alexandria, VA at Ourisman World of Ford in August.

I was reading Jeff's posts about his buying experience in the area, and I used similar tactics to buy my car, which had to be shipped down from NJ and I only paid $500 over invoice. The people at Ourisman were nice enough to bend over backwards to find a FEH to my specifications, and they found it and shipped it in two days.

Koons Ford in Falls Church, VA is a bunch of a-holes, as Jeff mentioned, as they quoted a 26,000 FEH at 34,000 and change after they tack on all their useless mumbo jumbo crap. I just up and walked out.

I love the car by the way and highly recommend it.
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I have to echo the comments on Koons Ford in Falls Church. Back in '04 they tried to get me to pay $8000 premium to have one of the first FEHs. They were down to $4000 premium (on top of full MSRP) as I was walking calmly out the door. The information on this kind of behavior in the sales department needs to be communicated as much as possible - so informed consumers can take their business elsewhere. I even wrote a letter to Ford about standardizing their pricing policies on mass production (not limited edition) vehicles.....like Honda does with great success. [Honda was getting full MSRP on every Odyssey for over 2 years - partly because they prevented their dealers from gouging (charging a premium) on a very popular, mass-produced vehicle.]

Bought my 06 AWD FEH from Cowles in Woodbridge for $250 over dealer cost - almost 10 months ago. Took it in for the 10K service and they did it for no charge. :D
  • mwhitacre99mwhitacre99 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up an '07 FWD over the weekend, Metalic Green, with safety canopy, appearance package, and 110V outlet, for $23,900(MSRP was $27,815), plus got 0.0% for 60 months. Price included 1,000 bonus cash. I could have opted for an additional $2500 rebate (bringing the price to $21400) in lieu of the 0% interest rate but would have paid more in interest than the savings up front. Also got what I wanted for my trade. Was able to get A/X Plan Pricing. Fairside Ford Ann Arbor, MI.
  • keremnathankeremnathan Member Posts: 1
    We just bought it in Jan 2007. Included the premium package in monochrome silver for 29,143 OTD. Got a quote of $1,300 plus the $3000 rebate off MSRP via email from the dealer. We sent in a request for a quote from the edmunds site to a few local dealers and went with the one who had the right vehicle at a reasonable price.
  • dennesdennes Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an '07 FWD Escape Hybrid from PA with the safety and appearance packages, plus the navigation system and power outlet. MSRP was $29,810, and I paid $28,500 before $1,000 cash back (promo and college student discount), so when all was said and done, $27,500 with 0% financing for 5 years. The best part was no BS dealer fees only the actual cost for title, registration, and transfer of tags. The internet quote method is very effective. Send a bunch of requests out and make sure to let them know you're serious and don't want to mess around - you want their best price, and you want it now. Then go with the low bidder! Oh and I got the advertised 36 mpg on my way home!
  • malibuskymalibusky Member Posts: 15
    My 2007 was carjacked and will probably go with the 2008 when it comes out. I spoke to the dealer today and he basically said..."No Incentives", neither % rates or cash back!! I am quite bummed and am wondering if it is worth it to go with the traditional financing or maybe I should just wait. Does anyone know how long it took for the 2007 incentives to kick in?

Thanks
  • tclongtclong Member Posts: 6
    Incentives on 07s have been available basically since intro last summer. Incentives on FEH in general started in late '05. You could get an 06 for $3000 below MSRP, or less if you qualified for A/X plan. Before then, many dealers were gouging.

2008 Escape began production Jan 31 and should begin shipping Feb 20-ish. Likely will be no 2008 model incentives for a while but you never know. 2008 base prices are $400 to $900 LOWER than '07s, depending on model.

Leftover '07 is a sweet deal right now if you can find one.

In my region (Rocky Mtns) the X plan qualified buyer can pick up a remaining '07 for about $5000 below MSRP, for example:

$33100 MSRP ('07 FEH, Premium Pkg, Safety, Moonroof)
    $31116 X Plan Price
    $ 2500 Customer Cash
    $ 500 Bonus Cash
    $28116 Final Price, plus taxes&tags
  • roemmeltroemmelt Member Posts: 1
    i ordered my '08 FEH from Battlefield ford (Manassas, VA) on 21 Dec. checked with the dealer about two weeks ago and one ordered on 30 Nov was scheduled for build.

stopped in last friday and mine's still not scheduled for production, but they had an '08 XLT just off the truck and were cleaning it up for the showroom floor. sweet ride.

should have mine in a few weeks.

by the way www.fordaccesories.com had a great color chooser feature.

b

:)
  • zoltanozoltano Member Posts: 6
    :confuse:

I am in the process of buying an '07 Escape Hybrid. The current $2,500 Customer Cash promotion will expire after a week (on 02/28). So what can we expect? Will Ford extend the promotion, maybe even raise the amount, or will the promotion just disappear? (In other words - should I hurry up and buy a car quick??)

$2,500 is a lot of money...
    It's a gamble. 2008 models are arriving at dealerships every day, which usually means the incentive on the previous model will be around for a while. But you may want to act fast, just in case.

I didn't think there were very many 2007 hybrids left?
  • debruyndebruyn Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an '07 Mercury Mariner Hybrid, Premium, leather, GPS, etc etc. Stickered around $34, they offered me $27,800 including "undercoating" (I didn't think dealers did that any more) but no 0% interest. I took it. Maybe could have done better, but I'm happy.
    Paul
  • drdan3drdan3 Member Posts: 13
    Ford's only incentive was a 6.9% interest deal, which was no deal at all. I found that the best Ford dealer in the MD-DC-VA area was Castle/Crysall Ford in Silver Spring. In response to my query for a 2008 about 3 months ago, they promised to provide me first with a pricing sheet when it became available (which they did), and then quotes on incoming units. Their quotes were around invoice. I paid $27,900 for AWD, Premium package, Chrome, moonroof. This saved so much time compared to others who were evasive or who - in one case - quoted the MSRP and a "your price" with an asterik saying plus taxes, tages AND FREIGHT. The MSRP included the destination, but it was taken out of the "your price" quote... Thus far, no problems with the car...on the contrary it seems much more refined than the 2007 and worth the difference in cost. If you do spring for the nav kit, at least it is 'normally sized' although a bit pricey.
  • zeeman84zeeman84 Member Posts: 16
    My wife ordered a 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD to replace her 04 Escape.
    Pretty much loaded with the exception of the chrome package. With the Military Assistance $500.00 cash back, close to invoice price, and the $2,200 tax deduction, I believe we did pretty well.
    I just noticed that the $2500 incentive got extended 'til 04/02/07. However the is an extra $500 that we could get, and so far there is no word regarding if that one will be avail. in March... I am still sitting on the fence...
    Got it today, Escape Hybrid 4WD w/premium pkg, audiophile, and moonroof. MSRP $30375, total invoice $28658. I qualify for X plan at $28620. They called today and offered it to me for $28200. I think $450 below invoice is a good deal for someone who can't get 'A' plan, so I took it.

The ride is still a little truck-like, but a huge improvement over the old one. I wish there was better quality on the interior, perhaps fewer separate pieces and better plastics. And what's the deal with the tiny cheap plastic glove box with no light? At least the huge console is big enough to store almost anything. Regardless, this vehicle is WAY better than before. It's noticeably more refined and quiet. I agree it's worth getting the '08, and re-sale should be better, as well.

The incentives on the leftover 07s are still $2500 cash plus $500 bonus cash, or low APR plus $500 bonus cash, expiration April 2. No incentives at all on the '08, but they were definitely willing to deal.
    Galpin gave me the best deal. Dealt with internet manager. Received ~ $2500 dealer discount plus the $3000 Ford Cash plus I am eligible for the full 1950 tax credit on a new '07 4WD FEH.
    Final math: MSRP $33100 - $7500 incentives = roughly $25600 + tax (8.25% where I live in LA).

I got financing through Ford Credit but I am planning to pay the car off this year so I did not opt for the 0APR financing, rather took the $3000.

Hope this helps somebody.
    Not that it matters, just an FYI for everyone, there are not "$7500 incentives" available on '07 Escapes.

The only incentive is $3000 from Ford.

Savvy buyers can negotiate an additional $2000 to $2500. Dealers want to move the last '07s which have been in stock since last fall, most of which are $33100 units equipped by Ford with their remaining old style nav systems.

The final $2000 in the example is a personal Federal income tax credit ($1950), which most buyers can claim next year against '07 income. Some buyers, like a retired person who pays no tax, would not get that. Also, people with other credits may get caught up in the AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax) if they try to claim a hybrid credit, too.

Also, sales tax is calculated on ~$27600, not $25600.

Again, not to nitpick, but just to point out that the example is not exactly a $25600 + tax purchase. It's still a great deal, though!
    Well said. I just did not have that much time to type...

:P
  • lhpmjplhpmjp Member Posts: 1
    Just picked-up a '07 FWD Hybrid with appearance pkg, safety and leather - stickered for $28,410. Got 3k off MSRP for 25,410 plus 3k rebate - final cost $22,410 plus T,L and doc fees. Very fair deal, especially with $2,600 tax credit yet to come on '07 taxes. Drew Ford in San Diego made the deal - easy to work with - no BS.

Let's hope that quality is there, as we are giving up a bullet-proof '02 Acura MDX for the green thing. Not to mention an increase in real word fuel economy from 16 MPG (premium fuel) for the Acura to 30 MPG (regular unleaded) in the Ford.

Good luck - deals on the '07's are still out there.
  • tripcapecodtripcapecod Member Posts: 1
    I work at Chatham Ford on Cape Cod. We have finally gotten our first 2008 Escape Hybrid. Very cool! Big changes from the 2007! We have had a couple of lookers so far, but it is still available. The sticker price is $29,850.00 and typically they would sell for close to that amount due to their scarcity at this time. Let's face it... it's a buyers market right now you can save money!
  • complawmancomplawman Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2WD Hybrid Escape from Galpin during the next week. How did you get the $2,500 dealer discount -- their internet manager tells me that does not exist. They also claim to not have any Escape Hybrids that do not have all of the expensive options and packages -- meaning, no base model -- so, you are stuck with paying for stuff you don't want or need.

I will likely try another dealer that can get me closer to the $22,000 price point (meaning, I get both dealer and Man. incentives, plus some of the packages without getting gauged for stuff I don't need). Thanks.
  • lv031170lv031170 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an '08 FEH three weeks ago. I live in Boulder, Colorado and the sticker price was $29,175. I was able to get it for $27,238 because I used my COSTCO membership warehouse auto buyer program. After searching all 15 Ford dealers in the entire Denver Metro area, there were only two '08 FEH's that were not fully loaded with sticker prices at $32,500.

I did not want the $2,695 Navigation system nor the moonroof and was able to find 2 without these options. 2WD doesn't even exist out here. No one in Colorado would buy one. All in all, I think I got a good price considering there are no incentives out on the '08 yet.
    Yepp, it does not exist - that is something that YOU have to negotiate off the MSRP... I was able to do that, but mine was fully loaded (MSRP 33100) so maybe they are more willing to sell those at (in my case slightly below)Invoice.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter for a weekend news program is looking to interview consumers in the Los Angeles area who are interested in purchasing a hybrid. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, March 22, 2007 with your daytime contact info.
  • davidlazerr9davidlazerr9 Member Posts: 3
    Wow, hard to find 08 hybrids here but I did close the deal last week on a fully loaded black one. Drove the Mariner hyrbid first and was shocked at how different it drove, sounded, and felt from the Escape although they are supposedly in the same blood line. After much BS, I got mine for $1000 below MSRP and then saved an additional $1000 in rebates for college grad/auto show promotion. Hard to get right at full invoice when they are so new and scarce but I'm pleased.(trade in on mine was quite sweet to boot). Nice quiet ride, Nav/Sirius/Moonroof were worth the bucks. Averaging around 33 MPG thus far.
  • adamdonagheyadamdonaghey Member Posts: 6
    I'm debating purchasing the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 2WD.

Originally, I thought I'd get a better deal on a 2007 model because of all the extra incentives. The vehicle has a base MSRP of $25,655.00 and a base invoice of $24,198.00. Accounting for dealer holdback (3% off total MSRP), Blue Oval holdback (additional 1.25% off total invoice), and current factory-to-dealer rebate of $500.00, I've come up with a dealer cost of $22,625.88. Add in the destination charge and subtract the $3000.00 in customer rebates, and I'm down to $20,290.88 for the base model. Anyway, after adding in all the options I want (Premium Package, Safety Package, and Moonroof) and my local tax rate, I've come up with a total w/options cost of $25,987.30. That's $7,397.40 off MSRP & $5,031.48 off invoice). Take out another $2600 for the tax credit, and I'm down to $23,387.30. Then, of course, I have to add in *some* profit for the dealer.

Now, here's the issue... Going through all that rigamarole with the 08 model has given me a total cost of $25,698.23 (after the $3000 tax credit and, again, I have to add in profit), which is $2310.93 more than the 07, and only $4336.67 off MSRP and $1,873.23 off invoice... That really seems crazy to me, based on previous vehicles I've purchased (course, they've always been marked up more than the Escape).

Anyway, I've read--from Ford--that the 08 is slated to have an 11% better residual value than the 07 model... If that's the case, it might be worth it just to go for the 08. That, coupled with all the new features, may be my best choice. Of course, the drastic markdown in the 08 will certainly have a negative effect on the prior models' resale value, anyway.

It should also be noted that I used this same formula with both the 07 and 08 Mariners. Oddly enough, both of them came in at just over $200 more than the 08 Escape... So the 08 Mariner is on my mind too. *sigh*

Any thoughts before I purchase?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are considering purchasing a Ford vehicle. If you are interested in speaking to the reporter, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 20, 2007 with your daytime contact info.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• treagantreagan Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the same boat, but in so cal. all the 07's are fairly loaded. I'm assuming that when more 07's are gone, the big rebate will shift to the 08. I'm also looking hard at a Prius.