Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
It has a fully independent suspension, unibody construction with ladder-frame chassis (like Honda Ridgeline), full-time 4WD with a locking center differential and low range. In Japan HIDs, NAV and an electronic stability program are standard. a 5-speed auto is standard with the V6 model. In Japan the V6 is 2.7L, but I think we will get a larger engine. Not sure if it has 3-row seating?

I saw the concept that was shown at the NY show, and was VERY impressed! Should be on sale here next fall.

Bob

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    From NY auto show:

http://www.suzukiauto.com/about_suzuki/concepts/concept_x2/

From Japanese Suzuki web site:

http://www.suzuki.co.jp/escudo/

Looks like it could be a poor man's mini Touareg.

Bob
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Together with the new Swift, Suzuki has a good design language going.

Funny that Japan can't get over the forward-placed rearview mirrors...
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    From the back, it looks a lot like a RAV4.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Today while at the shopping mall I just spotted this vehicle. I wasn't too sure what it was, but the badge said it was a Grand Vitara. I didn't expect to see it too soon.

Anyway, it was in royal blue, and it looked great. Much better than the bland/boring design of the current XL7 and Grand Vitara. It looks a whole lot bigger, even more than the XL7. Apparently it's 12 inches longer.

It must have been imported from Japan, but it had RHD! It started selling May 16 in Japan according to Autoweek.

I didn't even know these were out! :surprise:
    RHD? Or did you mean LHD?

Are you near Suzuki's American headquarters? It could be a pre-production model being tested by a Suzuki employee . Did it have "manuafacturer's" license plates?

Bob
    Sorry, I meant LHD.

I'm in the Middle East, so maybe the model will be released here before being released in America. It had normal plates, as far as I can remember.
    Maybe it's already on the market there.

Bob
    It was a pretty base model, but with full-time AWD. This vehicle will go a long way towards changing Suzuki's image here, and for the better. I was very impressed. The power is good; not great but good, and certainly seemed more powerful than the non-turbo Forester 2.5. It seemed very well made, and is about as roomy as a CRV. It lacks the height of the CRV, so the CRV may have more "total" space. Either way it's much roomier than the Forester. The rear seats fold like the CRV, meaning split-fold and tumble.

The ride is not as good as the Forester, mainly because it appears to be a bit more rugged, and you can feel that going over bumps. It's weight is around 3600 lbs, which is in the Outback H-6 neighborhood. The steering seemed to be pretty quick, and quicker than the Forester I think.

The one I drove had the 5-speed automatic. All new Grand Vitaras have a 185 HP 2.7L V6 (w/timing chain), fully independent suspension, choice of 2WD, full-time 4WD, or 4-Mode 4WD (Neutral, 4-hi full-time, 4-hi lock, 4-lo lock), stability control, ABS, fullsize spare and 3K towing. They start around $19K. The one I drove was around $22K. It's a very nice package.

Bob
    there's incentives already.
    A $199/month lease for 36 months.
    Suzuki has been a marginal player for years, and they're doing whatever they can to get more vehicles on the road. The way I view this lease as just another benefit for customers. Personally, I don't care for leases, but I can see how that might be attractive to many.

It could also be nothing more than a reaction to the high gas prices and the associated anti-SUV fever that is now so prevalent; just covering their butts, so to speak.

Bob
    true.

But the Grand Vitara isn't one of those full sizers that get 10 MPG and depend on low gas prices and America's desire for those large trucks to sell...

The Grand Vitara could actually be considered efficient when compared to say an Excursion or H2.

I guess Suzuki is trying to boost sales with this tactic, especially since its right after launch.
    is efficient when compared to beasts like the H2, Excursion, Suburban.

Anyway, I saw a Grand Vitara in silver color the other day and it looks great. Suzuki seems to have a homerun on their hands.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Got a chance to drive a 5-speed manual 2WD the other day. There was only 1 4WD on the lot, an automatic - it was really jammed in, and I couldn't stick around for them to prep it.

Very nice looking, outside and in. Nice seats, great features for the $$. Fun to drive, as well - plenty of get-up-and-go. The only negative I found was, on the freeway, the engine is revving pretty high - like 3000 RPM at 65 mph. Never needed to downshift to 4th to pass anyone, but never felt like it would make a relaxing freeway cruiser. I have yet to try the 5-speed auto version, which should rev lower at this speed. It's only rated 23mpg Highway - kinda wished they made 5th a real OD, and gotten it up to 25-26mpg.
  • feelfroogyfeelfroogy Member Posts: 5
    Really curious about these new vitara's. they just showed up at our dealers here (Utah) and I currently have an XL-7. I am hoping to get a new SUV that has more get up and go than that. Its good, but not as good as what I have previously had. Of course they were all sport cars. Anyone know if is better than the XL-7 or about the same? Worth the money, or no?
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    I think CAMI will start producing the Theta version of Suzuki's XL-7 next spring.
    If you need the 3rd row of seats or the 3.6L engine, I'd wait until then.
  • packaging propackaging pro Member Posts: 32
    I just bought a Pearl White 2006 w/ the Luxury Package 2WD. So far my only complaints are the lack of storage space and I realized the back brakes are Drums, not Disks. I came from a 2002 Altima and it had more storage, even in the trunk. I am hoping this is a reliable vehicle. I put about 25K per year. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Congratulations!

Let us know your comments and opinion on the car, it's interior, handling, styling, practicality and quality.

Did you cross shop the competiton first or did you just buy?
    I actually narrowed it down between an 06 Honda Civic and the Suzuki GV. Some of my gripes are: 1) I wish it had a Navigation system. 2) There is more road noise than I expected. 3) Not many storage places. Overall I am very pleased with it. I hope the reliability is there. I just installed a Parrot Bluetooth Car Kit and had the windows tinted. I am also concerned with the mileage. I am hoping I can get at least 21 MPG combined driving. The last problem is the instant MPG reading. It will go from 5 MPG at start and go up to 99MPG while crusing. It is annoying, or you can turn it off completely. No in between.
  • boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    How do people like their new 2006 GV's...what mileage are you getting?

Any feedback would be great..

Thanks..
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Hi all,

According to the specs on the reat seat, it has hip room of 44". That is barely wider than the rear seat of a Wrangler! I've sat in the back of a Wrangler, and I can tell you that two wide is all you want to put back there. The GV is advertised as a 5-seater.

Those of you who have seen it (or own it), just how is the rear seat room? Is it really meant for two? Would three kids fit okay back there? (By "kids" I mean a teen, a tweener, and a rather squigly 9-year old.)

I haven't been able to get to my local, friendly, neighborhood Suzuki dealer yet, so I don't know firsthand. Any information you could give me would be great! One of these days I'll actually make it to the dealer... :blush:

Thanks,
    --Dan
    I now have 300 miles on mine. I filled up 3/4 of the way through and I was getting 21 MPG. I do a lot of city driving and it's not broken in yet. I am very happy with this vehicle. It gets better and better the more I drive it. I do have some complaints, but if you look at the price, you have to make compromises. As far as back seat space goes, it is very tight for 5 people. It is fine for 3 small kids. I have two car seats in mine and there is room in the center for me to stack my folders for work, etc. I also like that this is all Japanese. It is not built on the GM Theta platform like the Equinox etc. The new XL-7 is and will be built in Canada. Fit and Finsih is great. Very solid vehicle. I would recommend it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    What is that little rectangular indentation under the hood line right near the base of the A-pillar? Almost looks like a grab-handle to open the hood. Is the hood a front-hinged design ala Corvette?
    That is decorative. The Suzuki accessories catalog has chrome ones also.
  • mixbrix2mixbrix2 Member Posts: 7
    It's replacing an Olds Bravada. Much more impressed with the Suzuki than the "luxury" Bravada. Plenty of head and leg room, great styling and standard equipment. So far it's been getting 20 mpg around town, and I haven't been babying the gas pedal. Seems exceptionally quick and the ESP is outstanding.
    Is yours a 2WD Model?
    Yes, I opted for the 2WD. With the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and traction control, it handles quite well on wet roads. I've tried to spin it out, taking off around corners, but it won't let me. Handles nothing like a regular rear wheel drive vehicle.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Isn't the 2WD FWD?
    No, it's RWD.

Bob
  • kc5ytikc5yti Member Posts: 38
    Since the powerplant in the GV is the same as the XL-7, you should find it to be reliable. My 2002 XL-7 has been excellent. The only thing to watch for, actually listen for, may be the timming chain rattle that may occur at around 40K miles. This is covered by the warranty if you happen to run into it. I may consider buying a new GV in the future as a daily driver, but I plan never to get rid of my XL-7. It will be my weekend toy when she gets older.

Regards,
    kc5yti :shades:
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I am very intrigued by the new Gran Vitara. On paper, no one else has the combination of features (luxury and safety) for the price of the GV, and by my best estimate this vehicle promises to have the best gas mileage (excluding the Diesel Liberty) of any SUV with true off road capability.

I have to admit that I am leery of buying a Suzuki due to questions regarding build quality, reliability and resale. The warranty helps sooth some of these concerns. Also, I have been reading that while Suzuki is a weak player in the US, they are trying to strengthen their position here and they are relatively strong in other parts of the world. I am not a world traveler, but I have just come back from a vacation in Europe, which included some time spent in the Swiss Alps.

In that steep and often snowy area, I was interested to note that the two most popular Japanese brands appeared to be Subaru and Suzuki, as there were Suzuki SUVs (including GVs and other smaller models not available here) running all over the place. Since the Swiss tend to be meticulous, this makes me feel a little better. Also interesting, I had my first road sighting of a new GV while I was in a remote area of Serbia in the former Yugoslavia (of all places). It looked sharp and better in real life than the photos I have seen.

Since my wife already has a Subaru, I'm thinking a Suzuki may be a good addition to our stable. I'd love another Subie, but I need something with a little more off road capability for my job, which occasionaly takes me on rutted trails and through stream crossings. For the time being, I'll be watching these boards to see what kind of feedback will be provided by new owners.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    After that long post. Has anyone seen any info regarding the fording depth of the 2006 Gran Vitara? I cannot find it on the Suzuki website. Maybe it is in the owners manual.
    I saw a truckload of these pulling out of the highway, headed for the local Suzuki dealer.

I thought it was a truckload of RAV4s from a distance, the old ones.
  • tacograndetacogrande Member Posts: 1
    I Have the 4x4 black with black cloth... I this is my first suv and im very impressed. I am down grading from a Nissan 350z so every vehicle i test drove except the 06 mustang were sadly under powered. Again i was trying to stay in the high teens low twentys on price. This car beat out several others.... Including the Dodge Hemi --- 13 mpg avg over a weekend test drive.. Honda CRV --- SLOW Chevy HHR --- DANGEROUSLY UNDERPOWERED. Jeep Liberty --- Elderly parents could not fit in back. Nissan Altima --- Nice Grand Vitara looked better. Nissan X-Terra... too expensive cheapest i could get was 24900.. Ford Mustang--- Good again but some reason i kept the GV in my mind.. Honda element--- couldnt bring my self to buy a box... I actually tested over 14 vehicles over the last 3 months... It is noisy at 4000 plus rpms, and to really have some fun you have to floor it, but, when you floor it it responds unlike all the others, i have so far found it to have loads of space but coming from a 350z hauling anything other than a sandwich was a chore. It seems to like 60 mph,,, very quite and low rpms stereo is the best factory ive ever had and will likely not change it out, also seats are fairly confortable, im seeing 24 mph which is what the 350z was seeing. Body roll is moderate, again, its no sports car but neither i nor my test dummys/passengers experenced ocean sickness (see HHR if you like your passengers to be ill) You cannot smoke the tires, but you can drive in the snow (i assume, something that a 350z cannot do safely for sure)
    If i experence anything else i shall post for better or worse.

my 2 cents
  • vitara4mevitara4me Member Posts: 35
    Just bought an 06 grand Vitara Luxury Edition and I love it. I drove almost every small and midsized SUV and nothing compares to the "bang-for-the-buck" Vitara.
    I got mine from World Imports Ontario, California and I got it for $200.00 BACK of invoice. Also got a $500.00 rebate, sidsteps, factory alarm, and trailer hitch at cost, plus free oil changes for a year. that is the best deal that I could find anywhere.
    I went strait to the fleet department and got a quote. So far, the Suzuki is excellent. I really enjoy driving it and find myself making excuses to go somewhere. What I like best is the handling, and the 5-speed auto is SWEET. The 4-wheel LOW with locking center diff is awesome. I also like the fact that the engine uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Plus, this is a true front-engine rear-drive vehicle, and not a front-wheel drive car converted to four-wheel drive. Can't wait to drive it to Vegas. Suzuki has a home-run with the new Grand Vitara.
  • ecolonecolon Member Posts: 3
    I've had mine for a month and a half now it's a 5-speed RWD. And i'ts like a smoke grey it handles like a dream compared to what a had before which was a 2000 jeep cheerokee the diference in handling is like night & day. And just looks great, down here in Puerto Rico people when they see it for the first time up close and personal they just stop what ever there doing just to get a good look at it.
    :)
    I've had a gold (biege) one for about a month now. Had to go back to the dealer and get more business cards from my salesman. People always looking at it and asking questions.
    What kind of gas mileage have you been getting? I am getting about 19 combined with 1,700 miles on it.
    Pro do you know if Suzuki has an accessories catalog online for the '06 GV? :shades:
    I'm getting something in that area i go to the gas station like every friday cause i never let the gas gauge to read less than half a tankful. Mine has 768 miles on it cause i really don't travel far for work.
    I picked up the 2006 catalog at my Suzuki dealer. I have already purchased the painted rear spoiler, envelope style cargo net and the sliding tray for under the passenger seat. I figured I can use this to store items. They also have a "Suzuki Works" Exhaust tip that I want to get. I also wanted to see the roof rack cross bars. They look to big and bulky in my opinion. Accessories are expensive for this thing. They should have a PDF File posted on the wqebsite shortly.
  • dan5150dan5150 Member Posts: 3
    I have about 300 miles on my 2006 grand vitara premium.I love this suv,but occasionally there is a burning smell coming from somewhere when I am driving it hard or going up a steep hill.When I test drove a few kia sportages they had a similar smell to them and I found out kia sprays the undreside of there cars with a protective sealer to protect them from the sea water and salty air.This burns off after a few hundred miles.I hope this is the case with my new grand vitara!!Any feedback would be great!! Thanks!! ;)
  • manifoldmanifold Member Posts: 57
    I just got my new silver metallic premium 4x4 auto GV also. It is sweet indeed. Its also my first suv. I was really looking/testing Jeeps, Rav 4s etc and GVs never even crossed my mind. Till I saw one pull out of a garage and whoa! I thought it was some kind of new euro suv till I saw the badge. Could not believe it. Went to the dealer next day and I knew I was leaving with one.

I definetely recommend the truck. On the freeway, it feels like your riding on rails. Very precise, stable and quiet. Interior is just all around quality. Easy to use controls. Engine is ok and did not feel underpowered. Space is great and I didnt feel cramped like I was on a Liberty. Center of gravity is lower and I didnt have the tipping sensation as I did with the Liberty. Visibility is great and I didnt have to strain to see anything on the road. Lots of safety features. The $29k Jeep Liberty 3.7 Limited I test drove didn't even come with side or curtain airbags =(.

Definitely get one. It's a winner all around.
  • manitowocmanitowoc Member Posts: 17
    I have detected a burning smell occasionally also. I've had my 06 GV 2 days. I purchased the premium pkg and so far very satisfied.
    I have 1400 miles on mine now and still get the burning smell sometimes. I figured it was paint and such burning off the new parts. So far it's gotten exactly 20 mpg on every fill up, all around town miles. Am curious to see what it gets on a trip. Couldn't be happier with it. I think if anyone test drives one, they'll buy it. I was all set to buy a Kia Sorento, after looking at them several times. Just happened to pass the Suzuki dealer and saw a line of these out front. After the test drive, the hardest part was picking out the color, they all look good.
    Off topic, but anyway.

Today I saw a silver Grand Vitara wrecked by the side of the freeway. Since it was introduced just recently, it must have been only a few months old. Nearby I saw a pre 95 Lincoln Town Car with it's front slightly damaged in. The Grand Vitara was off the highway with it's doors and front all bashed. The Town Car definitely did much better in the crash. Good old American iron! :)

Quite a shame, a new vehicle and irreparably damaged already.

Thought maybe you Grand Vitara owners might be interested in knowing how it fared in a crash.
  • manitowocmanitowoc Member Posts: 17
    A larger vehicle with more mass would undoubtably do more damage to a vehicle with less mass. Hopefully the occupants of the GV were protected by the airbag system and the structural reinforcement built in the GV.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats completely absurd, why would you bother offering this sensational information to happy owners of this vehicle? You have ZERO knowledge of the circumstances of the crash or how the occupants actually fared. In case you arent aware, its typically preferred to have a mangled vehicle that absorbs impact energy and doesnt not transmit the forces of the crash to the occupant compartment.

alpha
    ALPHA

I'm just stating what I saw. If you don't like my post, don't read it. IF GV owners dont like it they dont need to read it.

I really could care less about how the occupants of either car felt.

I only posted that because I dont think I have ever seen such a new model car already damaged.

With only 52 posts on this discussion, there are probably only like 3 owners. The rest of us just follow up on the vehicle, and my message isn't to offend anyone (although apparently people like you take it a different way).

Please accept my apologies if I caused you emotional damage or whatever. :sick: