Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

Comments

• howardkentuckyhowardkentucky Member Posts: 4
    I think the real point was that your message was basically irrevelant. If you saw a Lincoln Town Car that had been hit by a Peterbuilt, the result would have probably been similar or most probably a lot worse. I doubt that any GV owners really care one way or the other what you saw. It just really doesn't make any difference. When I was a kid, I saw a Corvette that had been T-boned. There was fiberglass all over the road, and about the only thing that was recognizable as a Corvette was the tail lights, but so what?
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    You aren't telling me anything I don't know when you say my message was irrelevant. I said it was off topic to begin with. With that warning I told my story.

I didnt post that message with the intent of showing the GV as uncrashworthy car. I simply posted it because I have never seen such a new car being wrecked so soon. This vehicle made it's debut only like 3 months ago.

If GV owners don't care what I saw, then I couldnt care less. It's a free country, they can read my message if they want, or they can ignore it.
  • manifoldmanifold Member Posts: 57
    The O5 GVs did OK on crash test results. The 06 GVs will no doubt fare even better given the unibody frame, side airbags etc. The 06 design does account for spreading the impact forces to sides and away from the driver/passenger during frontal collisions as much as possible. According to a Car and Driver article, features were also put in to the 06 GV regarding pedestrian impacts (reduce leg/thigh injury, hood absorbing upper body/head impacts etc). I live in DC which is probably the jaywalking capital of the world so thats somewhat good to know. Besides the standard safety package (eps, traction, control, ABS etc) theres also things like back up power in case of engine/main power failure and you can still brake the car.

I'd say the 06 GV is a pretty safe car to be in.
    What is that little rectangular indentation under the hood line right near the base of the A-pillar? Almost looks like a grab-handle to open the hood. Is the hood a front-hinged design ala Corvette?

Those are vents to to help keep the engine cool and let the heat out.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Isn't it time to move this thread out of "Future Vehicles," since it's already on sale?

Bob
  • pktrktpktrkt Member Posts: 1
    I took a test drive a couple of days ago. As much as I loved its solid body and suspension setup, and smooth 5sp automatic transmission, I thought engine noise was too much and annoying. I wonder if it was a problem with the particular car. Did anyone experience the same?
    great review of the GV

===================

As good as a BMW X3 but $20k cheaper? Part 1-The exterior
    9/7/2005

I must tell you, when I got the invitation to Vancouver for the press launch of the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara, my expectations about the new SUV weren't the highest.

In fact to be truthful, I went there thinking I was about to drive the lamest vehicle in a long time.

But from the minute I saw it and got inside, I knew I had made a mistake pre-judging it.

Not only did the SUV blow me away, it would turn out to be the best small SUV I've driven next to the BMW X3.

And in some ways, it's nicer!

The new exterior of the Grand Vitara is sharp attractive and aggressive.

No more 'I'm driving the cheapest, generic looking car on earth' look.

Suzuki has raised their design standing, to not only equal but better the Vitara's main competitors, the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and anything Subaru.

The interior is one of the nicest, cleanest layouts you will find anywhere.

Comfortable, functional and a more roomy feel, than its competitors.

Everything is in the right place and tastefully done.

And the drive does not disappoint.

The steering feel and suspension are outstanding.

In fact, I prefer the steering and suspension comfort of the Vitara to the BMW X3.

80MPH through the ‘S’ turns on the way to Whistler…No drama or problem for the Suzuki.

Doubt me?

Go do a comparo of your own at your local dealer.

And remember when you drive it, that the Suzuki’s starting price is less than TWENTY GRAND!!!!

But the big surprise on the Vitara compared to its competitors, is that it can go off-road and not disappoint. REALLY!

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5276&offSite=rss
  • ilynchilynch Member Posts: 1
    I have noticed a small plastic cover under both front doors, looks like it was going to be door warning lights but it does nothing, the Suzuki dealer has no idea. Can anyone shed any light.
  • benbenwanbenbenwan Member Posts: 13
    I just bought 06' GV for few days, can anyone tell me how to turn off ESP function. The manual said press and hold the ESP off button, but it doesn't work. Can anyone help? oh.. by the way, i also smell burning sometime. :confuse:
  • packaging propackaging pro Member Posts: 32
    I have the same problem. It seems that the switch does not work at all. Congrats on tne new ride! What model and color did you get? Are you happy so far? I have almost 4K on mine and I love it except for a few minor things.
  • dan5150dan5150 Member Posts: 3
    you can only turn off the esp switch when driving under 20 mph sais the manual. i have the same smell at 1000 miles but it is slowly going away. it is an undercoating for crossing the ocean for delivery.
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    push and hold the button for about 5 seconds. A light will come on saying esp off in the left gauge.
    they all have that burning smell, slowly going away
    do you have to buy the xm receiver from a dealer? I had one dealer that wanted $800 including installation. I bought a portable unit and it works great.
    I couldn't find any aftermarket receivers that would work.
    "xm ready" doesn't seem to mean anything
    anybody notice a high pitched whine while accelerating around 60mph? It's not coming from the radio.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I saw an Audi A3 the other day at the mall that was "XM Ready" and it had the sharkfin antenna on the roof, but not the actual receiver.
    the suzuki doesn't even have the antenna. The accessory list shows the receiver for $399 plus installation.
    I bought the xm myfi for $99 and I can use it just about anywhere.
    I never thought I would buy a suv, but after testing the Suzuki, we were sold. Very satisfied. Not sure why the luxury doesn't come with a power seat and rear disc brakes.
    Less than 1,000 miles and we got 24mpg highway and that's between 70 and 80mph
  • manitowocmanitowoc Member Posts: 17
    Anyone having trouble with their 12v phone charger ?
    Mine worked a couple of times, now it doesn't charge my phone when plugged into either front 12v outlet,even though the red indicator light on the charger is lit.
    My Hella map light works in both 12v outlets.
    Mine is working fine.
    Here are pictures of my Pearl White w/ Luxury Package. You can see the options that I have installed from the Suzuki Accessories Catalog. They are the Fender Flares, Painted Rear Spoiler, Stainless Exhaust Tip and the Rear Bumber Guard. Let's hear some feedback from other owners about their 2006's!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00001.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00002.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00003.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00004.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00005.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00006.jpg
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c68/packagingpro/DSC00007.jpg
  • barlobarlo Member Posts: 23
    just want to say nice pics packaging, I am just looking into the GV. It sure looks sharp in white. Is this your first suzuki and did you consider any other small SUVs? I was thinking about waiting to see the new RAV4 but they won't be here in Canada till Feb.
    I would wait for the new RAV-4 if possible. You will have to spend about 5K more to get it. It will be worth it because of the additional power, fuel efficiency and resale being a Toyota. I personally could not wait or spend the extra $$$$. This is my first Suzuki. My sister had a 2002 Grand Vitara, with over 100K on it and the only problems she had was warped rotors. My biggest gripe about the Suzuki is the back window not opening up. If you wanted to carry something long, you have to ride with the hatch opened up and that's a bad idea with the swing-open door. There also needs to be more cubby holes to store things. I still think that it's the best small SUV out there for the money. I am still not convinced the Koreans are up to par with the Japanese built Suzuki. I personally did not like the CRV or the American made small SUV's. I also like that you don't see to many of them around. That's my 2 cents!
  • mcperrmcperr Member Posts: 74
    1. Has anyone located a source for 17-inch winter tire / steel rim packages that will fit the GV? Don't have Packaging Pro's palm trees alas and would like to preserve the alloy wheels. Also, any after-market trailer hitches found yet? The Suzuki item is very expensive.
    we have the same setup except the fender flares. we get alot of stares. So far we love it.
    I don't think the dealer xm radio is worth the money. I bought a portable xm and can take it anywhere.
    I like the idea of a roll down back window. Rear discs are a must, especially if you 4 wheel. A luxury without a power seat, what happened there?
    thanks.... it works
    I got 06' GV/Premium Azure Grey, now with 450 miles on it. Very happy with it. I also consider new RAV4 at the beginning, but the new RAV4 will be more expensive for sure and it's too common, silver RAV4 everywhere. It's too common so higher chance the car get steal for part. Yes, toyota resale higher, but more expensive you paid. GV has many features (day time running light, auto climate control, wheel mount audio control, heated outside mirror, in dash 6 CDs changer/w 6 speakers plus subwoofer under driver seat and XM radio, auto on/off headlight etc...) are standard for the trim I purchased I don't have to add any option. Also GV is 100% made in Japan, others are Japanese brand but made in USA. So my finally decided to buy GV instead of wait for RAV4. I paid invoice price plus tax only ... no advertising fee, doc fee or any other fees that toyota or honda dealer required.
    the audio system for 06' Grand Vitara is by Clarion. Have you check with Clarion?

Please see: link title
  • barlobarlo Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for your input also benbenwan. I realize that the resale value won't be as good but your right your paying for it off the bat. My other vehicle is a 2005 corolla but I still like the looks of the GV better than the pictures of the new RAV 4. I am trading in a 2000 Montana
    and if you want to talk louse trade in value, see what one of these are worth 6 years later. I have had my fill of GMs for now so not even going to consider the Torrent.
    Circuit City had a free receiver after rebate, but the digital adapter is wrong. Terk makes the xmd1000 receiver for all major brands, but they don't make the digital adapter for Clarion. I didn't call Clarion. We decided on the xm myfi. If my daughter lets me use it from the GV, I can use it in my truck, boat, or home. Cool system for $99. I actually bought 3 for xmas presents, but don't tell anyone. :)
    GM is having problems. I like my truck but it's not good when you know the whole service dept. We traded in a Saturn for the GV. Couldn't wait to get rid of the car. The a/c broke the day we made the deal.
    A friend just bought the 2005 Rav4. I think you could see the look on his face when we showed him our GV and we shared price tags.
    thanks for the link. I did check Clarion's website and it was mostly Sirius. Am I missing something? The link says you can get 3 months free of xm with Suzuki. One dealer wanted $800 to install the receiver and antenna. The accessory list from Suzuki charges $399 plus installation. Our Honda came with everything and 3 months free, that's how we got into xm.
    do anyone break in your 06' GV? Owner's manual didn't mention anything about break in, any new owner break in your new 06' GV?
    drive it like you stole it. Just kidding. It's on page 6-21. Basically drive it easy for the first 600 miles.
    oh yeah... 600 miles only, 460 miles now, 140 miles to go.... thanks !!!!!
    looks cool! i think one of the nice things with the gv is how accomodating the design is to all sorts of mods....

• norwoodsmnnorwoodsmn Member Posts: 168
    Any other Suzuki sport UTILITY fans out there? Why is there no base low range equipped 5 speed manual transmission model for those of us out here somewhere beyond Palm Boulevard? Evolution with this new model?, absolutely, and hats off to Suzuki. Except for a slight size difference it's exactly what the successor to my Sidekick should have looked like.

But what about encouraging Suzuki to also import the more fuel efficient 2 litre four cylinder 5 door model that's available across the pond, (maybe call it a Vitara?), but in de contented form with a low range equipped 4wd system, and again the availability of a 5 speed manual transmission?
    Is the reason why you can't get a 5 speed manual with the low range feature, now, because the Daimler Benz sourced driveline design doesn't offer that option?

Bottom line: Suzuki must be all smiles reading this blog, right up until this entry, as no one seems to have expressed any concerns about serious off road usage of this new model. True, none of us are about to challenge the Rubicon Trail, but for wilderness canoeing and mountaineering access routes and more hereabouts, we've relied heavily on our Zukes for years. So for those of us who have faithfully supported [you]in the past by buying these rugged 4wd's, one more time, where is our UTILITY oriented model option? Anyone else out there feel this way?

PS: If Suzuki actually no longer cares about such concerns, then I'd suggest prospective purchasers owe it to themselves to also check out the spy photo of the 2007 Honda CR-V, posted online. It should be here this time next year.
    Theres some reviews on the web where they did offroad tests (Whistler, Canada I think) on the 06 GV and it did nicely. I think we'll see more reviews and possible offroad images from owners of the car as more are sold. I looked on the web and here are some that I found so far..

The other 3 images didnt seem to show. Just click here to see....

Offroad GVs
  • anderpanderp Member Posts: 1
    Went to the dealer last night, unfortunately they are under construction and only had three on the lot. I ended up walking away with more questions than answers.

First, I was very shocked by the quality of the interior, the materials felt incredible. I was sold instantly, and I'm crossshopping the 4Runner! The test drive was just as reenforcing in my decision.

The dealer was an automall type place, multiple dealers in one location and noone seemed to know anything about the GV. They said the X-sport would not be available until next march, is this true? They had a luxury model but it didn't have SmartPass, nor did it have the textured fender flares even though the brochure and web site say they are included in this model. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul
    You're right on the interior. Even the little elbow pads on the doors are cushy. The only complaint I have on the interior is the way the back seats fold up. You need to move the front seats forward and there is a little strap that you need to hook up to keep the seats from falling back down. It would be nice if you could remove the back seats.
    The X sport should come with the fender flares, all others are optional, even the luxury. I also thought the smart pass was standard on the luxury. It's a nice option, no more fumbling for keys.
    the dealer I purchased my GV doesn't have X-sport too, they have base, premium, luxury only. When the time i purchase x-sport isn't available yet (2 weeks ago).

Luxury package should have SmartPass, if you see the car's door handle has a little black button that's smartpass.
    Japan Suzuki website link title

Japanese version is call ESCUDO, exterior has a small mirror on passenger side for blind spot . They have 2 types of engine available 2.0 and 2.7, they also have navigation system available for option. I like the LED fog light and interior light illumination. too bad i didn't see it's available in US model.

Accessories link title

PS. the site is written in japanese, you can use www.dictionary.com translator to translate japanese to english.
    offroad test video link video
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    I don't think Suzuki is unaware of the demand for a basic GV with the low range. I think they know many who MUST have the low range, and just can't wait, will shell out for the top-of-the-line model. For those more patient, I'm sure there will be low ranges on cheaper versions, starting with the Sport model which is already sold in the US. This is an old tactic by car companies, so they know they'll profit from it. Who is Suzuki going to lose those low-end w/ low range sales to? There simply is no alternative.

I'm a bit pissed that to get the low range, I have to have leather seats, or wait for a Sport model. I don't even like leather seats. But then I don't like the alternative - an entirely-black cloth interior. If you wait for the Sport model, you can't get the sunroof. Sheesh, the hassles of modern life. They also put the wheel/tire combination least suitable for rough roads on the version with the low range. Obviously they understand the market well, even if the market isn't entirely rational.

In the meantime, the party line is that even the fully loaded model is not expensive. A few days ago I put a deposit on one of them, using the carcostcanada service. The transaction was strangely devoid of trickery and pressure tactics. Although the price quoted plus factory rebate isn't guarranteed for the jan/feb delivery, it comes in between $2000 and $3000 under MSRP. No wonder they have waiting lists.

The dealer didn't have a demo for a test drive, but I got to look at a customer's that was in for repairs. Repairs?! Yes, it made a tinny rattling noise from underneath when idling, and there were some plastic panels from the front seats laying on the floor. I noticed the spare tire rattled when I closed the hatch. Surely Suzuki can engineer that out.

There's no ski pass-through like the X-Trail has, beause it's not long enough for skis inside. The lid for the under-deck storage in the cargo area isn't attached. The back wheelhouses intrude farther into the back seat than I expected, but you don't seem to notice them when you sit in it. A bit less rear seat legroom than I expected. Flashy 4-color dash lights. Enough elbow room, unlike the 2005 GV. Looks better in the metal than in pictures. Tidy and distinctive at the same time.

Until this showed up, the X-Trail was our top choice. It has more cargo space and better mileage. But the GV has a low range, plus more features, for thousands less. And the X-trail looks like three separate styling groups did the front end, back end, and side.

Although our '91 Pathfinder is about the same size as the new GV, somehow it has 30 cu ft, cargo volume compared to the GV's 24. I guess we'll live with it.
    Yes, the press event was staged out of Vancouver here in British Columbia Canada. They drove up the Sea to Sky highway along Howe Sound to Squamish. Then a bit further north towards Whistler, (see you for the 2010 Winter Olympics!). Actually I became a Zukeophile while living there with my new 88 Samurai hardtop. I'm positive I even recognize the [test] road. Yes, it looks adequately capable, with durability being a longer term question.
    But my chief concern remains the fact that the only Grand Vitara model available with a low range, (the model tested off road), has:
    1.) an automatic transmission only when a manual five speed is optimal for off road use. Further:
    2.) to get the low range equipped model you have opt for the loaded to the gills, (leather, home link, well, just name it), model which lists at around $32,000.00. Hey, if that's your cup of tea or you want to bling one out for the street, more power to ya. But would I want to spill sun block or mosquito spay on my leather seats out back of beyond here in the wilds of BC? Not.. So again, where's "our" model optioned with the low range and a manaual transmission for those of us who use them off road?

My feeling is a bit of pontification is well justified here, as to no small extent "we" helped get Suzuki, (three new one's purchased in this household), to this point in the marketplace where they could produce a vehicle of this apparent calibre. So where's our payback now with a more utility oriented version of this vehicle, to meet our ongoing needs?
    Excellent points all. Sorry I just missed your post before my last one. Ditto re carcost. The rattle is a heat shield. A genetic thing. Most Zukes seem to go thru a period of teething post delivery, then settle down to provide a long reliable service life. Every choice is a compromise. Automatics have gotten better and better, even yielding slightly better mileage figures. Why I could almost see myself in a black on black AWD Grand Vitara, but with the 5 speed manual, for the street.

But my dilemma now is there is no word from Suzuki of anything coming down thru the pipeline next year re: a GV configured to meet my ongoing needs. Actually, near the top of my list of contenders may be a used 94 XL-7 with the five speed manual. Either that or give up my wild ways and cast a wider net by waiting to have a look at the attractive new [see spy photo] '07 Honda CR-V, this time next year. More money, sure, but having owned Accords, well, you know how that old saying goes....

Tidbits for the faithful:
    The earlier post re: the Japanese site is a good reference. I find it insulting to the max that there are virtually no hard engineering details, (or images), available re: the guts of the new Grand Vitara, in the north american marketplace. For instance our Canuck brochure just has a diagram describing how the 4wd system works! But the Japaneese site does include cutaway driveline and many other very interesting look-see's.

For the best review I've seen after much research, (on all the new internationally available '06 Grand Vitara models, including the little 3 door), go to the english language version of a site out of Toulouse, France, by clicking on:
    motiontrends.com/2005/m09eng/suzuki/grdvitara.shtml

Any other off roaders care to help kick up some dust out there? Suzuki just might listen.
    I can see your guys dilema with 4wd. Down here in the USA we have our trucks and ATVs to go off road. We bought the luxury 2wd to drive back and forth to Las Vegas. We wanted more options, but we didn't want leather either, but we had no choice. The heated seats are nice when it's cold.
    My heart stopped when I saw $2000 to $3000 under MSRP. And MSRP at $32000. I haven't figured the exchange rate. My neighbor sold us our Honda and Suzuki and trust that he is giving us a good deal. We paid under $23k.
    I hope Suzuki reads your concerns and comes thru for you. Here's some more dust for you, Suzuki.
    Precise msrp of the full luxo barge low range equipped Canadian GV is $29,995.00, but then add freight and PDI and roof rack accessories to carry your skis, and...
    Then add 7% Federal and 7% Provincial tax(es). It costs to live here in the Great White North! But we have universal health care, such as it is.
    As XOSTNOT so sagely stated, use an internet buying service [like carcost up here]. Down south I think Coscto even offers a members car buying service. Should end up being pretty much the same deal price wise. IE: cost plus a profit to the dealer of maybe $500.00 to $1,000.00, somewhere in that range. Here on my local lot I figured I could have bought the last base '05 low range, 5 speed manual trannie equipped 4wd GV for something close to $4,000.00 off list. Just never warmed to that model though, and was not ready to spring for the last '04, (correction, not a 94), XL-7 with the manual transmission and low range. On '05 and '06 XL-7's the manual trannie option on the 4wd version was deleted.
    Thanks for "the dust". From the get go back when Zukes first crossed the pond to North America, there's always been a very O.R. capable low range manual trannie base equipped 4wd Zuke truck in the lineup, ALWAYS, until now. Suzuki officials, want to add something here to this discussion? We're waiting.....
    anyone know how to change fog light? it's seems very hard to reach the light bulb, any idea? :(
    No need for 17's as the base model's 16's with the correct profile winters, should work fine. Discount Tire Direct in the US has 16" alloys starting at $85.00 to fit the new GV. Plus a winter package consisting of Hankook w401's and very good looking MB Motoring five rims for $648.00 US, inc. mounting and balancing. USA types, and those of us who visit, can get free shipping now at Discount Tire to a US address. Good excuse for a visit depending on where you live and/or if you have friends down south. Stay a few days and bring 'em back duty free. Didn't see steel rims offered, but of course Suzuki would like to sell you some of their 16's. Good luck.
    Purchased protection package from this website.

Suzuki Accessories

2006 Grand Vitara Accessories Brochure Brochure