Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 through 2008

Comments

• norwoodsmnnorwoodsmn Member Posts: 168
    WOW INDEED! Surely at least some change will finally occur under the hood for the '09 model year, if only to a more efficient petrol burner. In the interim, thanks for the info.
    Of interest to fellow residents in The Great White North, our Canadian Loonie just reached par with the US Greenback this am, (1.004US). There is an excellent piece on CTV tv network's online site this morning re: saving money by buying vehicles in the US and importing to Canada. For instance, for the exercise I net priced a new GV on the US Suzuki website the other day, equipped with a 5 speed manual and the low range gear set and a number of essential options. With the online advertised specials, (never mind that you could quite likely do even better than that), an '07 on clearance came out to just under twenty grand US.

To xostnot: Yes, the homely but capable new 4X4 Jeep Patriot seems to be the closest fit yet towards filling the vacant niche left by the unfortunate discontinuation of Suzuki's four cylinder Vitara model. Comes with an economical variable valve timing 2.4 liter engine, even a CVT transmission. Interesting stuff about yr. recent outing. I can appreciate the usefulness of traction control in the situation you described.

Further re: adventures, we, (three couples), chartered an Otter float plane out of Pt. Hardy to a N. Calvert Island beach. Crossed Hakai Pass "rail under" under sail in our expedition folding kayaks, (kids, don't try this at home!), and wound up in Bella Bella eleven days later to connect with the coastal ferry for a return to Port Hardy. More recently, (we did that trip years ago prior to the Provincial Rec Area designation), knew folks who used the Discovery Coast BC ferry which will drop you off at sea, (via deck crane, seated in yr. boat), in proximity to the area. One would have to check with BC Ferries to get the latest info re: the handling requirements in bringing yr. gear on board. Still, a private mothership would be THE deluxe way to go. Am unfamiliar with "CCR".

Nwdsmn.
  • vitara4mevitara4me Member Posts: 35
    Hello everyone. I called Suzuki of America corporate office to discuss my ongoing issues and I was told by a rather rude individual to "pound sand". In other words, Suzuki said that there is no way that they will buy back my vehicle, or give me another vehicle. :lemon:

Oh really? You sure about that? :lemon:

Well, I have found a very nasty Lemon-Law attorney that has dealt with Suzuki before, and told me to start looking for my next car, because Suzuki is at fault, and is liable for my loss. :lemon:

I'm sure glad I took pictures and documented everything, including all my warranty repair invoices, showing miles and date/time in service. I even recorded all my phone calls to Suzuki of America and all the dealerships I have dealt with. (four Suzuki dealerships in my area have gone bankrupt and shut down). I now have to drive 35 miles to the nearest dealership. :lemon:

I'll let you know how it turns out. :lemon:

Regards, Vitaranot4me :lemon:
    :lemon:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do but it's not necessary to post it in several different topics nor is it desired. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    Other than lousy gas mileage and early tire wear problems,
    why are you upset with Suzuki?

Please explain why you had to hire a lawyer?
    Is there some serious mechanical problems with the Grand Vitara? Is there a safety problem?
    Is there cause for a class action suit or a manufacturers'recall? :confuse: ">
  • denverleighdenverleigh Member Posts: 10
    My 06 GV is still under the microscope, but I wonder if vitara4me (or vitaranot4me)'s GV was built on the same assembly line!? Sorry you're having such a bad experience.

I will concede that the tire wear on mine seems premature (hitting the warning treads at 26,000 KMS (I guess that's now 26,000 Miles ... oh sorry, it's just the Canadian dollar that's par, not the Canadian kilometer), so I may be making a stink about that, both to Suzuki and perhaps the tire manufacturer. Admittedly, I was late in tire rotation, so the fronts did wear down quicker, vis a vis the rears, to be expected.

Lousy gas mileage (kilometerage), well, it's an SUV, not a Prius, and hey, I get 60 mpg according to that little digital readout on the dash (going downhill mind you, it's the flats and uphills that's the problem !). Having been involved in a major rearender accident back in July ($11K damage, blew out the back door and window), with none of my 4 family members getting seriously injured, hat's off to Suzuki for the way they constructed the vehicle to absorb the impact... I'm more than willing to pay a bit more at the pump. And for our situation, I don't commute (work from home, more folks should try it), so we don't fill up that often.

Vibration - we're all aware of the reports on this forum, and I do notice it with my GV at high speeds, so I'll be monitoring it throughout the warranty period.

Appreciate your posts, vitara4me, good or bad, owners need to be informed. Overall though, we picked a winner, always get compliments, and it has served our purposes well. While my GV was in the shop, they gave me a GMC Envoy ... brutal vehicle, felt like I was piloting a houseboat around the corners.
    My 2006 Grand Vitara almost caught fire pulling a trailer to Las Vegas, in the wintertime! Can you imagine if I tried that in the summer?

It also still has the vibration problem. The dealership replaced the transfer case, and the vibration is "less", but it is still there. I feel it everyday when the transmission shifts into 4th gear.

Now it has developed yet another problem. I go to Las Vegas at least once a month. I drive there by way of the 15 freeway. On at least 6 different occasions, I had to turn off the air conditioning because of toxic fumes coming into the passenger cabin. It only happens when the outside temperature is over 100 degrees. Well, it always over 100 degrees in Vegas in the summer, and I have to drive around in my new 2006 Grand Vitara with the windows DOWN, because my wife and kids can't breathe.

In Vegas in the summer, you MUST have air conditioning. It is just too hot.

Of course, the dealership cannot duplicate the problem in California, so they tell me, "No problem found, vehicle is ok".

My vehicle must have been built on a Monday, after a long Japanese holiday, and all the Suzuki factory workers were still drunk or hung over.

Suzuki has the attitude that if they have worked on the vehicle, and replaced parts, therefore, the vehicle is now fixed. Strange logic.

Well, WRONG Suzuki of America. Just because you work on my vehicle, it does not mean that you have actually fixed anything.

Hey, before you guys flame me for my comments, try reading prior posts so that you can see what kind of problems I have had with this vehicle.

Regards, Vitarafromhell.......
  • xostnotxostnot Member Posts: 232
    I'm somewhat amazed at the variation in owner experience different people are having. Subarus are like that too.

I'm not going to criticize you. Having a problematic new car is enough without adding insult to injury. I'm somewhat peeved because Suzuki dealers won't do anything about the baggy leather seats. But that's nothing compared to your GV problems.

I noticed that there's a piece of styrofoam under the floor carpet right where yours would have melted through. The styrofoam is to level out the floor. Seemed like an odd thing to find, but why not?

Hopefully something will bust on yours and then it will be easy for the dealer to fix it. Or carefully document all these hassles and force a buy-back.

Good luck!
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    Sorry, I did not mean to "flame you for your comments."

Although "Edmunds" has a great forum,sometimes looking for previous posts can be cumbersome.

I only have 12k on my 07 GV. I haven't experienced any major problems with it. It does get pretty crappy gas mileage for a mini suv. (17-18mpg rural)
    I will have to wait and see how the tire wear does.

I also have an 02 Impala that is a total lemon!!

I wish you the best of luck with "Suzuki of America!"
    I hope they fix their customer service problems!!
  • bm000092bm000092 Member Posts: 70
    About the tire wear, watch them closely, there is a Suzuki TSB about it, some GV came out of the factory mis-aligned, they do correct it for free at the dealer.

I got my GV almost 2 years ago now, no problem at all so far, just had to do the regular maintenance (oil, ...), it's still running as a champion.

I wouldn't consider my gas mileage too bad for a compact SUV, I get around 21mpg (us gal.) average, (around 17.8 city driving and around 26-27mpg on highway. It is a little bit better than my previous Cherokee that was about the same weight and size.
  • lordygordylordygordy Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I'd share a problem that I had with my '06 GV this past weekend. At this point I've got about 48,000 km. on the GV and have never had a problem with it that was not of my own doing.

But this past weekend we drove from Edmonton to Calgary for a visit. When we got to Calgary the power steering stopped working. I was able to still steer the GV but it was not easy, especially when the vehicle speed was slow.

I did get it in to a Suzuki dealer, who on a Saturday where they only work half a day and were already totally booked, still took my GV in and repaired the problem. Turns out that in '06 they used a plastic part to keep tension on the belt around the power steering pump. The new GV's now have metal tensioners and this is what they replaced in my GV now as well. The repair was covered completely under warranty.

Had I known that this plastic power steering belt tensioner was a weak link in an otherwise great vehicle, I would have replaced it on one of my regular maintenance service visits... even if I would have had to pay for it myself.

Hope this experience is of value to anyone out there with an '06 GV. I don't know when they changed to metal tensioners, so not sure if this also affected some '07's.
  • tim66tim66 Member Posts: 22
    Last week we took the GV in for the annual Pa inspection. The vehicle passed but the mechanic told us the tires were just off the wear bars and should be replaced soon. With only 17000 miles and rotated every 3000, the Geolanders wore out prematurely. We went to the local Suzuki Dealer with our complaint. After inspection of the tires they agreed to the premature wear. Today the tires were replaced along with a four wheel alignment compliments of Suzuki. This is the only problem to date and we are very satsfied with the performance and gas mileage(high 20s)...I think it's a keeper. :)
  • denverleighdenverleigh Member Posts: 10
    Wow, thanks for sharing. I hope my dealer is just as generous. Although from what I've been told by the Suzuki dealer, and tire dealer (Kal Tire), OEM tires are much softer rubber and wear out prematurely vis a vis after market tires. I have about 25000 KMS (about 16000 miles) on my Geo's, with only one tire rotation, and the 2 that were on the front are beyond the warning treads. I'm running new Geo winters on steel rims now, but come Spring, I'll be seeing if I can get the same deal you got !!
    I will say that our wear problem was from the soft compound as all four were worn evenly across. The only downside was the Dealer stated this is a one time deal and we had to take the same type tire that was on the vehicle. Was hoping for a different brand.
    I imagine you know the tires are supposed to be rotated much more frequently than that. It's especially important on the GV because of the negative camber on the rear wheels. You need to rotate them to the front to even out the tread face. Ours have 21,000km on them, and are not visibly worn. They look good enough that I haven't bothered to measure them.
  • aalupoaalupo Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to find out if there are any 2006 GV owners that are having a probvlem with a high idle or acceleration problem. If your vehichle just revs up to a high RPM or any kind of a racing of the engine. My dad was in an accident a couple of days ago and was gassing up his GV. When he was done he put his foot on the brake to put the GV in drive and the car revved up and he said it happened so fast that the car took off and he hit the garage of the gas station. He is alright, but I wanted to find out if there are other people experiencing similar problems.
    I had a similar situation happen to me. It was my size 11 shoe that caused the problem. I depressed the brake and put it in drive,the edge of my shoe caught the accelerator and the car leaped forward. Luckily I released my foot and hit the brake again and stopped the vehicle. The brake and accelerator pedals seem closer together in the Vitara than my other car. May be what happened.
    Just my 2¢
    I'm pretty sure also that unfortunately he did hit the gas pedal when he pushed the brakes. It did happen to me once, I was to go from "Park" to "Drive", so nothing happened. I had big snow boots.
  • shuckapeafarmsshuckapeafarms Member Posts: 3
    I have had recent electrical problems with my Grand Vitara. It is a 2006 with 43,000 miles.
    First, my "check engine light", "abs light" and "esp" light all came on at the same time while driving. I also lost my speedometer, cruise control, 4 wheel drive switch, heater/ac controls, center console dash lights, and my outside temperature/gas mileage guage. I put my OBD 11 scanner on the car and received a "P1875" code. I looked it up and it told me it was a transmission sensor for the low range 4 wheel drive. I took it to the dealer to which they informed me it was the right rear wheel sensor. After having the car fixed I drove it around for about a week.
    I went to hook up a trailer to the vehicle and none of my trailer lights worked nor did the running lights on my car. Took it back to the dealer to be informed my trailer wiring harness had malfunctioned and melted itself together causing the fuse in the car to blow. They replaced the wire harness, the fuse and told me all was well.
    The other day I go to hook up my trailer and the running lights on the trailer don't work. I unhook and back my son's truck up to the trailer, plug in the harness and to my surprise, all the lights work on the trailer---indicating the problem lies within the Suzuki! I called the dealer and told him the problem still existed and needed the car fixed. In the mean time the "ABS" light and "ESP" lights come on again causing most of the original electrical problems all over.
    I take the car back to the dealer--- he tells me the wire harness is fine according to his test, and that the new codes "C1035" and "C1036" indicate the other side speed sensor has malfunctioned. They repair the sensor but the wiring problem he insist is in my trailer. I already know that it is not or it would not have worked properly on my son's truck.
    Here's my question, (finally) ---When I returned home I looked up the two codes he claimed came up on the diagnostics-- Code C1035 and C1036! My scanner does not have either of these codes nor does the Suzuki website OBD 11 code list!
    Can anyone verify these two codes and are they a speed sensor? Also, are there speed sensors on each wheel or is there one speed sensor on the vehicle? I have a gut feeling I may have been bull shi.ed!
    I was charged for an alignment when I found specific information on here stating "Denver Suzuki" acknowledged Suzuki used the WRONG specifications at the factory on certain Grand Vitaras! I'm looking for answers so I can file a complaint if Suzuki is not doing recalls as required by law!!!!
    Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have been a mechanic for 35 years but these new computerized vehicles are quite challenging at times!
    Hi, I have the maintenance manual, I looked it up, and yes there is individual speed sensors for each wheel, also I found the codes:
    C1035: is for the left rear wheel speed sensor circuit failure, Wheel sensor signal is out of specified range.
    C1036: is for the left rear wheel sensor or encoder failure, Abnormal wheel speed sensor signal is detected.

About the wheel alignment, there was a technical bulletin issued, but it is not a recall, they should look after it if there is a complaint from the customer. I don't know about US, but here in Canada, I know that some people even had their tire replaced by the dealer because of excessive wear, unfortunately I'm not able to find back the number of the TSB. So they should charge the expense under that TSB, not to your wallet, I would complaint if I were you.

My trailer harness is working fine, I did the installation myself and bought a converter from HiddenHitch for it, here are the wire colors:

Tail light Red/yellow
    Left Turn Green/red
    Right turn Green/yellow
    Stop (brake) Green/white
    Backup (not normally used unless you have trailer brakes) red

You should check it with a multi-meter, you most probably have a fault there.
  • vitdeanvitdean Member Posts: 9
    So far, my 06 GV plain jane single mode 4wd has done good by me. What I have discovered in the last two years is as follows. Yes the oil filter could be easier to get to, the right angle with the left hand and arm thru an opening in the suspension when you find it makes it not too bad. When on a rough road I was hearing a buzzing sound, this comes from the latch on the center armrest cover, flick it with your finger, you'll hear it. A subtle clicking sound had me baffled, tap the plastic cover between the map lights above your head with your knuckle, there's that one. If the rear privacy cover is not snapped to the back seats it will swing and bang around. The tire thing; with 23000 miles the Geolanders will need to be canned shortly. They are rated a 280 for treadwear, can't expect much more from such a soft compound. As you all probably know now the engine has shim over bucket valves. I'm not really worried about this. In the past I have torn the covers off of Suzuki motorcycle engines, both screw type adjuster and shim valve trains. Believe me, unless you hear clatter, don't fret it. Of course in very rare occasions the tolerence could shrink between the cam lobe and the tappet, with hardened seats this is unlikely. I'm sure the GV engines are run through a cycle somehow to seat the valvetrain in the factory before final measurements are made.
    Moral of the story, so far, knock on my head this is the best vehicle I have owned, It gets me from point A to point B.
  • troyantroyan Member Posts: 9
    Reply to bm000092.... You have a manual?... wow... could you tell me why my horn doesn't work and the airbag light came on after i felt somewhat of a "tug" when i tried to make a 180 degree turn to the left? This is a 2002 GV.
    Any and all info would be greatly appreciated
    I got a copy of the 2006 European model over the net, not the same engine and tranny, but the rest is the same, so better than nothing. I think that I cannot be much help for a 2002 model, completely different.

That 2006 GV is one of the best vehicule I had also, considering fun to drive, handling, and reliability. I did have the first 89 Sidekick model and it was really reliable as well.

About the tires, I personally don't experience that fast tire wear that somes have, but I agree with you, they are 280 and won't last for more than 30k miles.
  • shuckapeafarmsshuckapeafarms Member Posts: 3
    I want to update readers on my 2006 GV!
    The tire problem was as suspected! Suzuki used the wrong calibration at the factory and mine did need realignment. NO, I did not hit the curbs or anything else that affected the alignment. It did this from day one.
    The electrical problems stem from faulty speed sensors on the rear wheels. My extended warranty cover both defects.
    Overall, I like the vehicle but feel we shouldn't be experiencing these kind of failures on a $25,000 vehicle in the first year or two of ownership! Suzuki also had problems with the auto tranny but did make modifications to correct it. Hopefully mine is one of the modified versions. They also used a plastic part on the power steering pump that has given people nightmares but they have owned up to it and rectify it at no cost to the customer.
    I feel they should own up to the rest of the KNOWN factory defects and repair those free of charge to the customer also.
    Please also note that Suzuki used various Geolanders on their vehicle and not all were equipped with 280 tires. Mine were G93's that the dealer insist were 40,000 mile tires. I got about about 20,000-25,000 before wear was totally noticable however, with the alignment defect, my right rear wore completely out at 25,000 while the other three still had significant tread at 40,000. It was definitely the alignment and the dealer informed me he had numerous complaints---some that tires were replaced and others that were not. Unfortunately, I had to purchase a new set to which Geolander was not my choice of tire!
  • den54den54 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any problems with there keyless entry. My door locks do not function properly. I have changed the batteries in the remote and I still cannot lock the doors without using the key. The open door icon on the dash indicates the doors are open and there not. Could this be an electrical problem?
    Any help would be appreciated
    Well, the Suzuki lemon from hell is now gone. I am now the proud owner of an Icy-blue Mazda MX5 Miata Grand Touring Edition with a 6-speed auto. Consumer Reports "Best Buy", J.D. Power "Best Buy", Car & Driver "10 Best" in the world, Road & Track, "Best Buy"............ :) :shades:

No more burning, smoking, vibrating, gas-sucking, saggy-leather, buzzing, clicking, creaking, gear-hunting, no-balls Suzuki products for me anymore.

ZOOM-ZOOM baby! ZOOM-ZOOM!

Ha! Ha! The '08 Mazda Miata is pure fun and I am loving it!

Bye-bye you POS Vitara :lemon:

Best regards, EX-Vitara4me
    Have you had an alarm system installed? This can foul up the keyless entry, and then you have Suzuki and the alarm vendor pointing fingers at each other. Been there, doing that.

We had the power door locks quit working on another car. It had blown a fuse. I'd have your dealer look at this since presumably your GV is still under warranty.
    What did you tell the person who bought the GV about it? :-) Sorry to hear the GV was such a pia for you, and that Suzuki wouldn't sort it out. But it's good you're now free of that hassle. Take care.
    I'm glad that you're happy with your new aquisition, but I just cannot understand someone who goes from a 5 seater 4x4 not really intended for gaz economy, neither performance, to a 2 seater performance oriented car, as I would never buy a 4x4 if I wouldn't need its characteristics. It's unrationnal.
  • gvmomgvmom Member Posts: 1
    I had my clutch replaced and the mechanic cannot get it to work now. It workd for about 2 hours then the clutch pedal goes to the floor. I have had nothing but issues with this vehicle and it is undriveable now. Can anyone help?
    Scuttlebutt "out there" seems to suggest the '99 2.5L Grand Vitara derivative 2.7L engine currently motivating the GV, will finally be history soon.... If the rumors are correct, at long last finally an up to date modern fuel efficient GM designed 3.2L engine, (built in Japan), will find a new home under the hood of a tweaked '09 Grand Vitara. Most notably [also] seems it may have rear discs replacing the current rear drums, and some other new bits and pieces here and there along with some minor cosmetic changes. Further, (and I sure hope this one is true), they will be bringing in the 2.4L inline four 5 door also. One source even suggested we may get an appropriately woodsey looking new forest green one to boot. If this info is accurate Suzuki will at least have a chance of recouping [some] of their former customers by closing the huge gap left upon discontinuation of the basic utility oriented four cylinder "Vitara" model. Now if they just don't do a Suzuki on us by loading that particular model by giving it an auto trannie only, etc., in hopes of maximizing profits in year one, or no low range gear set either [of course] until a few years after its released, if they can avoid all those woeful past mistakes, some of us could finally be attracted back into the fold.

Should caution here none of this has been personally observed as having been writ in stone yet, and represents a gleaning of postings from various sources. So I am waiting myself to see if these dreams really will come true for '09.
    Nwdsmsn.
  • budman3budman3 Member Posts: 187
    Hey norwoodsman, welcome back. I have to say something, you were right. ;)
    We still have our GV, unfortunately. It's OK, but there are many other vehicles out there in the price range that would be far better choices. Our GV has held up, unlike vitara4me's, but it has visited the shop a couple times. I never saw the oil leaks but they said they were there and it was fixed under warranty along with a few other minor issues. Strange but that happened twice. I think they just wanted some work.
    Suzuki never did reimburse me for tires wearing out by 16,000 miles, they said it was normal. :confuse:
    AND just wait till you want to trade the ol zuke in. It's not worth s!@#. :mad:
    We decided to drive the zuke into the ground and then off a cliff since that will bring more satisfaction to us.
    Not only will we never buy another Suzuki again, but I was also looking at the Suzuki Hyabusa for a bike and said no way and bought the Kawasaki ZX14.
    I hope you find the right vehicle,norwoodsman. Let us know what you do.
    Yo, bud! Thank you. I've always tried to tell it like it "was" re: my general experience(s) with Zukes. As mentioned way back when?, maybe take a little comfort knowing at some point "they", (all Suzukis?), seem to pass through "a teething period", then settle down to give a long reasonably reliable service life. At least that's my experience with prior models, though they were less complex than the current GV. Also find a mechanic at a dealership somewhere who knows ALL the idiosyncrasies of the beast, and put him on your Christmas card list.

For additional relief, Rx: "Take dirt and call me in the morning". Seriously, I used 18 year old "Rusty" last week en route to tying into a four pound bow at a deep woods lake hereabouts. Just me and the Loons. A soft roader could have made it but probably would have suffered loose nuts by the end of the day. So use it well out there off the beaten track to help bring forgetfulness re: those on road issues.

Additional since this am: Found another July post stating that in the home market in Japan the 3.2L, 230hp six, with improved mileage vs. the current 185hp 2.7L, is debuting under the hoods of "Escudos", (GV's), NOW. It is joined by a new 2.4L inline four that makes166hp. Again speculation is both of them will show up here for the '09 model year. Will they be more refined in other ways as well? Once again, only time will tell. Regards. Nwdsmn.
    My dealer said the 4 cylinders should be available with a MT 5 speed or AT 4 speed, the V6 only with AT 5 speed. 16' wheels should be gone, only 17' and 18' available.

You can watch their promotional video there:

2009 video
    Thanks for that one. The new "Indy/Escudo promo" on the Suzuki Co. Japan website is worth a look too. The hill holder feature, (ala Subaru), will be a welcome addition along with those rear disc brakes. Paused the video to note specs for the two engines. The dohc 16 valve 166hp four achieves what I'm assuming is a combined city/highway average mileage figure of: manual 5 speed, 11km/L, and 10.6km/L with the slush box. The figure for the new automatic only 3.2L six, (is it 230 or 224hp?), is 9.2km/L. Have yet to do the math to mpg, but compare that to the reported, what?, a combined average of 19 or so US mpg's for the old 2.7L...
    Maybe Suzuki has listened to us after all? Looking forward to kicking the tires and perhaps parking a UTILITY oriented 4cyl here, IF I can convince my better half to reconsider buying what would be a fourth [purchased new] Zuke. Any word as to when they'll show up?
    I've heard the 2009's will be in dealerships next month.

When we criticize the GV's features, we should bear in mind that it was not designed primarily for the North American market. The 2.7 may already just be a sop to our associations between personal worth (etc.) and vehicle engine power.

It will be interesting to see if the 2009 update revives sales. They've done some good things, such as the engine options and increased sound insulation. I can do without the rear disc brakes and side-mirror turn signal lights. How about the back seat center armrest for North America? Or the headlight washers? Or gimballed headlights?

The XL7 is outselling the GV in the US, and Canadian sales of the GV are falling toward 200 per month. The 2009 updates are overdue. Had they made some of these changes when the shortcomings and errors were well known back before the 2007's came out, the GV may not have been relegated to the backburner after the initial burst of publicity about the 2006. And I think the inadequate response to both serious and minor problems reported by owners also drove sales to other cuv's. Those problems reinforced impressions of second-tier quality, and undermined any potential confidence suggested by the warranty. (Has anyone used the roadside assistance provision?)

I'd still like to see an off-road version: diesel, manual, raised suspension and skidplates. Plus a Rav4-fighter: more sound insulation, 2wd/Awd, and softened suspension.

Hopefully the "new" green color will be the one offered in other markets since 2006. It's a beautiful deep metallic forest green, like the older Rav4's had. Apparently there's also going to be a purple color. A what?! Rather have the bright blue metallic.

If the new 3.2 improves mileage significantly, it contradicts my contention that the GV's mileage is easily explained by a busy 5th gear plus being in 4wd all the time. If the new version really does have better mileage despite those other two characteristics, then the new engine must be quite the gizmo.
    As you mentionned, it should be here in August.

Regarding the fuel economy the new V6 should be rated at (in US measure) 21mpg versus 19mpg for the previous 2.7L. This may explain your contention about being busy in 5th gear, the new engine being more powerfull and having more torque will handle that gear better.

Have you noticed the torque curve on the Japanese site ? Almost flat from 1000rpm to 6500 rpm (in between 177lbs/ft and 209.5lbs/ft), the max being at 3500rpm. This finally will be more adapted to a truck than a car.
    Great. Was not sure if we'd have to wait until January, or... With this latest generation of the breed about to debut, and what percentage of current owners having bought GV's, sans understanding of the root DNA of Suzuki SUV's, well, will those current owners still be around as repeat buyers for these new "improved" ones? Bud 3's response here may be illustrative of what to Suzuki oughta be, (and has been my worry all along), that Suzuki risked putting the cart before the horse by debuting the Le Grand prior to an exhaustive ironing out of "issues" beforehand, via extensive pre intro testing. Historically that's NEVER happened, (at least it seems so, intuitively, to me), with the Co.'s past new SUV product releases, so why start in '06? Because the clear marketing implication was, hey, we're finally/fully going mainstream, so forget yr. boring CRV's, RAV 4's, or whatever, join us and come along for the ride...

Look at the delayed intro of the new Corolla. What took so long?, just precisely for that reason, so it would be absolutely as bug free as possible. Now Suzuki is left with no more "We sure wanna be mainstream, aspirations/wiggle room" in my opinion. They must significantly refine the GV so the whole book will prove be as just as good as it's attractive cover. As to the new models, I'd bet, (or at least hope), the new 4cyl will be offered in "decontented" form. It will probably be used as "a vehicle" to help empty the rear drums parts bins for a few years, plus I wouldn't expect it to be loaded with some of the other new bells and whistles. Bring on a 4cyl. "Vitara Classic" model with the skid plates that used to be std. equipment, etc. Go luxo boat for the highway with the new higher end sixes, then [hopefully] we can all live happily ever after.

But Suzuki may not be out of the woods yet. What about all those XL-7's languishing on dealers lots, EVERYWHERE, the recalling of US boss "Rick" Suzuki to Japan, (for under performing?), and the perplexing intro shortly of a Suzuki re badged Nissan Frontier pickup, all before we even have the real Suzuki Swift, (the highly regarded one sold in the rest of the world), offered for sale here in North America. Then there's the new expensive super car due after that.
    I dunnoww....
    Nwsdmn.
    Just a quickie to say I agree completely re: yr. observation alluding to how "it just had to be a six under the hood there" for oft irrelevant reasons. Yes the Vitara BADLY needed one in order to become Grand in 1999, as the 4cyl version was actually LESS fun to drive than it's Sidekick predecessor! But that's ancient history with the intro of this up to date 4. Certainly the CRV has always done fine with it's sophisticated version, and may Suzuki's prove to be of similar quality. Subtract the weight of the new 4 vs that of the 6, (don't know the figures yet), and factor in the mileage advantage, and but for accelerating slower up the Coq. in the mtns. here, (and ya, having max torque and hp clock in at higher revs), the 166hp 4 with a five speed manual still ought to feel reasonably zippy. Surely so in everyday use applications. Plan to TD the first one on the lot here.

For a final long view observation about the 2.7, it was an advantage to have experienced it in the previous generation XL-7. In two wheel drive mode sans other drive train factors, when accelerating a ways beyond half throttle the inefficiency of the design became quite apparent, both aurally and to the seat of the pants. Further lets hope the rest of the new GV's teething issues are now mostly behind us, concurrent with the intro of these updated models. It would be a great milestone for Suzuki if that proves to be the case.
    Intereseting to speculate what Suzuki's up to. Again, their North American car operations probably aren't a major portion of their global car sales. So it's possible it's not worth "tuning" their handling of this market to perfection. Despite abysmal sales in Canada, the XL7 is selling in perplexingly good numbers in the US. As for a basic offroad model, they have the Jimny in their important markets. I doubt they'd sell many Jimny's here, and why make a basic version of the GV just for a few sales in one market?

I was willing to buy our '06 GV after researching reliability of previous generations of Vitaras, and finding no higher problem rates for introduction-year models. The '06 is not bad for any vehicle, let alone a new model. Yes, it has/had issues, but no show stoppers for most buyers.

As for the Suzuki pickup, planning for it likely was developed before the current fuel "crisis". Notwithstanding that, Nissan can stick some Suzuki trim on their Frontier, sell them to Suzuki for a small profit, and Suzuki takes whatever it can get for them from the consumers. Suzuki doesn't even necessarily have to even own them. The proceeds on sales could go to Nissan and Suzuki gets a cut. It's an organizational and marketing exercise as opposed to a technological one. It can't cost Suzuki sales of any other models. As for Nissan, it can only add to their total pickup sales. It remains to be seen if it was just a waste of time.

Then there's the super car. Again, it seems to be based on a failure to recognize peak oil and the passing of automobile-worship. But Suzuki may be in a very good position otherwise. They have vast expertise at building small vehicles, and have a wide range of them. Not to mention brand engineering experience. As the Big 2.8 flounder trying to adjust to the new market, maybe Suzuki can provide models to them, or fill the vacuum themselves.

It's becoming common to see tiny Suzuki Every and Carry utility vans and trucks (used right-hand drive vehicles imported from Japan) on the roads in southwestern BC.
    http://www.terra2imports.ca/import-japan119265573674698.htm
    http://www.4x4far.com/suzuki.htm

Suzuki also made the Mazda AZ-1 Autozam
    http://japanoid.com/cardata.php?carNo=20
    Agreed re: the suspension. I don't expect them to contract with Acura any time soon to copy their high end underpinnings. They are basic in feel and will probably remain so to keep the price/utility ratio intact. That's ok but doesn't mean there's no room for tweaking as you suggest. Especially increasing the ground clearance specs a bit. Maybe they have for '09?

There has to be a 4cyl model with the basic goodies which attracted many former brand adherents in the first place. Suzuki owes us that one. Would it sell? Who would get overly crabby if Honda [ever] had offered it's CRV in base form with o/r capabilities similar to the GV? They would sell each and every one they could build. With the reality of ever escalating fuel prices evident to all, it will be more than interesting to see how the sales figures for the new 4 and 6 cylinder models stack up. Even with the evident high quality specs of this new 6. Suzuki may have a real coup on it's hands with the re intro of a 4 at this juncture.

Yes re: small imports from Japan here. The rugged right hand drive Mitsubishi Delica 4wd Van is sure an interesting piece too. Had a chance to peruse one first hand curbside a few weeks back. Bring in a new LHD camper version for North America, and both of us might have to switch brands, eh?
    Nwdsmn.
    Thanks again bmoooo92 for posting the 2009 video link. If you pause it during the rock slab climbing demo, looks like that one may be sort of a medium to lighter metallic LIME green....? Hummm. The forest green one offered elsewhere now, (and earlier in the run of the old XL-7), also appears in picture form in the current accessories catalog showing the "molded rear mud guards". Hope that's the one we get. Cats eye blue was probably my own personal fave on the old XL-7. Maybe we're going to get "trendy" now though with metallic lime green and "Pimp my ride purple"? Who cares [almost] if the rest of the vehicle proves now to be all that it can and rightly should be now for '09?. It's well past time to drop the Angst from the Love/Angst mix that has been included, (at no extra charge, unknowingly to most buyers), along with the purchase of too many new Suzuki SUV's. I wish them EVERY success with these new models, IF it can be proven they've taken the necessary steps to fully earn it this time..
    Re: "Interesting to speculate what Suzuki's up to". Found a post confirming my feeling that US boss "Rick" Suzuki: "Resigned to take responsibility for the company not meeting '07 US sales targets". I enjoyed some of his more audacious press releases. One can't achieve if you don't reach high enough though, and I found his unbridled enthusiasm refreshing. But sales didn't meet targets and along with Rick US staffing levels have been cut back as well.

In another shake up, Suzuki also terminated it's US ad agency relationship in favor of going with another firm. Perhaps we'll get the Japanese Indiana Jones promo treatment? Further on Rick, I wonder if it he really needed to fall on his sword? Or, was it more a case of: (to loosely paraphrase an old saying), His press releases wrote a check that the QUALITY CONTROL ENGINEERS back home
    couldn't enable him to cash? Put another way, did GV reliability issues evolve to become a statistically important part of his problem(s)? Only he and home office know. He assumes the position of adviser to the board.

Finally, we know nothing about '08 GV reliability data yet, do we? Maybe they've got it all right this year but for the overdue engine upgrades, thus making the current close out deals "interesting"? Who knows? It will be interesting to see the '09 pricing. Lastly, the apparently light green one I first saw on that 2nd gen video post, looks more like silver in the original footage in the Suzuki Japan promo. Maybe we will get the forest green.
    I don't know who makes the decision about the colors we get, because that forest green and cat's eye blue were already available almost every where around the world since '06 except here in North America
    Right, and there's a true red which has been available down south in the US. Tech. name of the old green was Grove Green Metallic. As might be expected looks like the four will come with most if not all the new '09 goodies. Still at least there's hope an entry level one might be used to phase out "older" parts. Saw some '09 foreign msrp's expressed in US dollars, and they seemed STEEP. Can't necessarily correlate that, (I hope), to what we'll see here in North America.

For fellow Canucks prepared to do the legwork, again you could now bring a US '08 across the line with the low range gear set, for close to the clear out price for the base model here. Check the duties and a "Fuel inefficient vehicle levy", (that's a quote from Suzuki Canada's own website, please note!), re: "cautions about importing from the US".... BIG for me will be to see if Suzuki gets closer to price parity with the US for '09. At least for us, that's been another major factor in our holding off on purchasing another new vehicle. As an aside, If anyone is considering a car as a SUV alternative these days, (another one of our dilemmas), the 2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport GS with the economical 2L engine is THE killer deal in the marketplace now, what with a new model set to replace it. Drive it and you'll love it.
    Our mates down under landed the first good test drive(s) on a multi day Suzuki pulls out all the stops journalists outing. Ayers Rock, camels, and more. Check out caradvice.com.au and their Aug 28th post found under: 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara First Steer. [2008] indicating their test date of these new '09's.

Great photos, good look at the nicely re designed new instrument cluster, facts about NVH improvements, and much more. One quote: "The new 3.2L is a big improvement over the old 2.7". Winter release down under is scheduled for Sept. Obviously/hopefully same for us here in The Great White North.

Happy Labor Day weekend.
    Nwdsmn
    Check out the Suzuki Australia website: suzuki.com.au where all cats have now been let out of the bag. Download their '09 GV brochure for a look at
    "Ever Green Pearl", (it is a lighter shade than Grove Green metallic was), and "Twilight Purple Pearl". Yes, it's truly purple, but should be nice in person. Slight extra charge [down under] for both colors.

From other sources, the new 3.2 Liter motor is 9% more fuel efficient than the outgoing 2.7. Thicker glass and door seal changes, and perhaps some insulation improvements?, achieve a noise level reduction of 2db in the cabin. Not sure if that's for all of them, or just the premium models. However, all of them get four wheel disc brakes.

The variable valve timing four has a vibration damping balance shaft, and a variable port fuel induction system, reported to result in a smoother idle and improved all round performance vs. all previous Zuke fours. Sounds good. Fuel consumption for the 4 is 8.8L per 100km combined as previously mentioned here. On paper it does look like we may finally have our own reasonable facsimile version of Honda's CRV motor. Different specs of course, but close enough for our purposes, it seems. Finally a four in the lineup again. But differing GREATLY from the dull, bog slow, inflatable toy look base '99 to '03 Vitara, (in '04 they gave it a 2.5 six, it's last year), INSTEAD we will have a 4cyl model which is every bit as modern for it's own time, stem to stern, as was the 4 door Sidekick when it was intro-ed way back in 1991. Rusty, (O' faithful Sidekick), you may be off to the wrecking yard. Suzuki listened after all.
    Nwdsmn.
    Though neither Suzuki USA or Canada have anything about them online yet, our site autotrader.ca under their new car section, DOES. MANY pictures, specs, etc. They show some new colors, but it seems incomplete as I saw a sort of Metallic Navy blue '09 four cylinder JLX on the lot today, and they didn't show that color on the site. Supposed to get a plain non metallic white though, and a second red, but they didn't show either the green or purple. We'll see.

The base model four cylinder, (no low range), with manual transmission, has a msrp of $25,995. Cdn. Mileage figures differ a bit from whats been posted elsewhere to date, indicating: city 11.2L /100kms, highway 8.1L /100kms for the base model. The "least expensive" four cylinder [listed] with the low range gear set has a msrp of $27,995. Cdn. with an automatic transmission. No five speed manual JX is shown, but maybe one is on the way. Specs show "underbody protection for the engine". Couldn't tell if the instrument cluster does differ from an '08. There's more on all of the models at this site.

Again, with one on the lot here now, Suzuki should have the accurate details out soon. Will look forward to seeing a test drive evaluation of the four cylinder automatic transmission JX or JLX [here?] by someone who currently owns a 2.7 with auto box. There ought to be one in your hood now too?
    So the wife and I TD'd the loaded to the gills, (but for leather), 4cyl JLX automatic.
    My speculation about it being a worthy, yes, Sidekick replacement, (attractive, nimble, economical, fun to drive), while the 99 to 03 Vitara was NOT, was confirmed. To wit: the lesser weight of the four under the hood of a GV, vs. that of a six, gives the all new VITARA, (that's what I'd choose to call it), very nimble handling, actually making it "tossable" in the corners. I'm smiling here while thinking at last, at last! Sure, of course it has the same Suzuki feel to the suspension as the '08 GV, a direct lineage from that of the Sidekick/Vitara for that matter. But again as we agree, it's that suspension which allows us to do what we do in the dirt.

I'll leave it to auto box fans to delve more deeply into the performance of the four speed transmission, though to me it's operation represents a definite improvement to the breed. Most notable besides the handling improvements thanks to the lighter engine, was [yes] the quietness of the cabin. Tire noise seems the most noticeable factor there now. Sure, you can hear it when the trannie kicks down a gear when ascending a long hill on the freeway, but nothing like before in prior models. Yes, with two aboard and no load, it does accelerate nicely up those hills too. Making it's peak hp at a higher revs, it does rev up on kick down, but not at all as drastically as prior Zuke slush boxes, (at least it seems so to me).

So we're waiting to TD the base JA with the five speed. Figure we'd have to give up the more heroic off road outings sans the crawling gears, but it should provide the sportiest ride in the entire lineup, while still having all the basic toughness necessary to handle most backwoods assignments. A tougher Subaru Forrester fighter, while the CRV is too SOFT roader to be used for comparison. Given the goodness of this configuration, surely expect the new six to be a real road rocket. Super there if you want/need that in an urban environment. But drive the new four and vicariously you will understand what some of us have been SO missing from the Zuke lineup way back since the last four cylinder Sidekick was bolted together in '98. Nice job Suzuki! Feels good not to have to [non-permissible content removed] here anymore with actual "ALL NEW" Grand Vitara(s) finally being offered for sale by Suzuki. Only "ointment fly" being there is no low range equipped five speed manual JX four cylinder model in the lineup yet.

Oh ya, the new four wheel discs "feel" great. For six fans, one other tidbit I've gleaned is that the timing chain control mechanism has been redesigned. Back to colors, I no longer pretend to know what's what there, nor do dealers, with no brochures available yet. Will be interesting to see where Suzuki offically debuts 'em here in North America. Hope they don't obsess solely on the new six, and they TD the four also.

After too many posts I'll shut up and look forward to your input....

Nwdsmsn.
    norwoodsman, I'm always happy to read your thoughts on the currrent generation Vitara. I'm glad to hear they're getting close to what you have had in mind for the last three years. I think they should put out one model that's clearly for off-road users (skid plates, more clearance, 5-spd, diesel etc) and one for the Rav4 crowd (predominantly 2wd, soft suspension, even more sound insulation). They could keep the total number of models the same.