Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Real World MPG

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Its not the size of difference, but how much difference can it make in your calculation. If the nozzle shuts down at 1.2 gallons instead of 1.0, the extra fuel will have a greater impact (error) in your calculation than the same difference would if you were filling up 13.5 gallon.

This applies not only to manual calculations but also trip computers. There have been a few times when I have decided to fill up the tank after only 60-70 miles on the odometer since last fill up. While trip computer may show 24-25 mpg, I may calculate 21-22 mpg. This difference literally disappears after almost a tank worth of driving. My calculation almost match the trip computer display.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    jaxs1 and robertsmx,

This all started when thegraduate wrote regarding tankbeans' post #1260, "Write down your gallons pumped each time when you do the little adds

Don't reset the trip odometer until you fill up. When you do finally fill up, use this:

Total Miles Driven before Fill Up / Gallons to Fill Up + Gallons added before complete Fill Up

For example:

550 miles / 2 gallons + 3 gallons + 15 gallons = 550/20 = 27.5 MPG
    "

He was correct. He and I are talking about multiple small fillups over a period of time. The total number of incremental gallons still equals the total gallonage. That is irrespective of what's in the tank at a particular moment in time.

Sure, there is still the question of whether pump A is calibrated slightly differently than pumps B and C, or temperature factors. But we are splitting hairs here.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Just for the record . . . I've tried calculating mpg after multiple fill-ups, using the exact number of gallons added at each stop. It didn't work well. I got numbers that were clearly several miles per gallon in error. I can only assume that it was because the pumps were inaccurate (makes me wonder if the amount I pay at the pump is even vaguely related to how much gas I got in my tank :mad: ) Of course, there is a substantial possibility that it was the error of the guy running the calculator :P
    Calibration is a different issue. When you fill up, how do you know the tank has just the amount of fuel it needed? Did the nozzle stop too early? Or, too late?

If it stopped too late, say 0.1 gallons too late, every time you filled after 1 gallons, at the end of 13th trip to the pump, you would have computed an additional 1.3 gallons due to a "one-time" error (multiplied by times you fill up) as opposed to one time error, once. For sake of simplicity I'm assuming the error is constant.

So, after x miles, you might calculate from 13.1 gallon (one fillup), or from 14.3 gallons (multiple fillups). Think the number would be same?

Almost always you will find that computation based on multiple small fill ups will result in poorer fuel economy than would on a full tank fill up. Try it. I have.

And this applies to trip computer in my car too (TL). At this time, I have about 45 miles or so since last fill up and as usually the average mpg on trip computer is 26 mpg. However, I'm very certain that if I filled it up right now, I won't be anywhere close to 26 mpg. But if I did the same after over 300 miles from now, the two will be very close. In fact, during last fill up, the trip computer showed 24 mpg while I computed 24.9 mpg (trip computer in my car doesn't have decimal).
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    It is easy. The whole matter of computing MPG is dividing number of gallons used into the number of miles driven. So if you start off with a full tank of gas with the odometer set on ZERO and then ad some fuel to the tank without filling it up merely record the number of gallons and fraction there of And keep doing this until the day you have enough money to fill it up again. Of course while doing this do not reset the odometer to ZERO. Then when you fill it up ad up all the gas which you put into the tank plus the amount on the last fill up and divide that into the number of miles on the odometer.
  • holewholew Member Posts: 71
    I had come to this part of the HONDA message area with hopes of seeing some meaningful real world numbers of miles per gallon posted.

While there were a few such messages overall I am disappointed that no one seems capable of just writing the MPG, type of engine and transmission, year of the car and type of driving.

Many of the messages if not all which I have seen indicate the MPG but hardly ever indicate the type of engine, ie. 4 or 6 cylinder.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Here ya go buddy... my last tanks:

Both Accords share the same commute - 20 miles 70 MPH interstate, 15 miles urban driving in Birmingham, AL (downtown driving, stop and go, red lights). I'm a pretty easy driver, but have no problem gunning it to merge in a hole or get the lead on someone whose lane I need to be in. Throw in a trip around the beltway (I-459) at 50 miles or so interstate extra too in a typical tank. In that commute, I see:

2006 Honda Accord EX. 2.4L 5-speed Automatic. 26,600 miles - 30 MPG on my last tank (no A/C), typically closer to 28.5-29. I get service as the maintenance minder tells me to.

1996 Honda Accord LX. 2.2L 4-speed Automatic. 176,900 miles - 27 MPG on last tank, this is typical. Higher speeds on the interstate really hurt mileage in this car because of shorter gear ratios. I get the oil changed every 3,000 miles, and recently replaced the air filter (spark plugs about 25k miles ago).

This what you are looking for?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    First 2 tanks in my new 08 LX, 177hp 4cyl, 5 spd manual. So far a stead7 25.5 MPG.

Commute is about half and half, 50%relaxed rural surface streets, 50% rural 2-lane highway 70mph.

First tank was on stock Dunlops, second tank is on chunky Cooper snow tires. I did do a nice relaxed highway and 55mph back roads trip to Keene and back the other day, filed up before I left then whyen I returned and got a bit over 27MPG.

I'm hoping by spring, once winter-blend gas is done, once the engine has a few thousand miles on it, and once I get the lower rolling resistance tires back on, I'll be getting a good 28-30 in my regular commute.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    08 Accord EX-L Nav Automatic. 700 miles driven thus far

City driving only, long stop lights, many of them and within a few blocks of each other, normal driving, not hard accelerations nor stops, no air on, florida fall season. I drive maybe 3 miles one way which hurts the mpg

18.3 miles per gallon twice now

Highway 90% 10% city and I got 33 miles per gallon.
    I have posted regularly my mpg. But, I've quit since the numbers were getting monotonous :D I have about 3500 miles on the vehicle now. I use 85 octane because of my high altitude (average driving at 6200-6500 feet). I am very conservative with braking and letting the engine race. I rarely let the engine race above 4000 rpm and I try to not let the engine shift up hills. I, however, drive fast . . average80-85 on the interstate and 70-75 on two-lane. Also, my driving is almost never over flat terrain. No matter where I go, there are usually elevation changes of 1500 to 3000 feet.

I have little experience on commuting --my mpg numbers generally involve 350 to 450 miles of mixed interstate and two-lane roads per calculation.

I am averaging right around 27 mpg. It has been as bad as 24 (with Denver interstate traffic) and up to 31 with a hefty tail wind for 200+ miles.

As stated , I use 85 octane gas that does contain 10% ethanol.

Hope that info is useful!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I got over 32 mpg on my weekly trip to the eastern part of WA state. Lots of rain and huge puddles of standing water on the mountain pass, which also made speeding up and slowing down a part of the trip. Pretty windy on some portions and there was some city driving as well.

This is pretty good for the colder weather and all that rain. I've been over 40 mpg with slower speeds and much better weather. The trip computer showed over 37 mpg on the return trip but that will change by the time I fill up.

06 EX-L I4 manual.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    My 2004 V6 A/T Accord EX Coupe averages 20 to 22 mpg on a day-to-day basis with local commuting and some highway. On long flat highway trips with not much interfering traffic I can get 30 to 31 mpg keeping it under 75 mph.

My wife's 2008 I4 A/T Accord EX-L Sedan hasn't had a complete fillup yet, so no statistics. I'll know in a few days.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    My 2003 Accord LX I4 is averaging about 27 mpg with about half city/half highway and a very short commute, 6 miles each way all highway(save the mile it takes me to get to the highway). On a long trip 300 miles I got around 35. I had a 95 EX I4 and that averaged about 23 under the same conditions.
  • mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    robertsmx -

I have to say, thegraduate and blane are correct on this issue, are you are just plain wrong.

"When you fill up, how do you know the tank has just the amount of fuel it needed? Did the nozzle stop too early? Or, too late?"

This initial statement is correct. The particular fuel pump could shut off earlier or later than your last fillup, which could effect your MPG calculation. But this only applies when you are FILLING UP your tank, when the nozzle senses the tank is filled.

When you are only getting small increments of fuel (partial fillups), there is no possibility of the pump shutting off too early or too late. It shuts off when you want it to. So if you pump 2 gallons of gas, you get 2 gallons of gas.

"So, after x miles, you might calculate from 13.1 gallon (one fillup), or from 14.3 gallons (multiple fillups)."

This doesn't make sense. You wouldn't be making "multiple fillups", you would be making multiple partial fillups, which would not be effected by the pump shutting off too early or too late.

"Almost always you will find that computation based on multiple small fill ups will result in poorer fuel economy than would on a full tank fill up. Try it. I have."

I think understand...you are confused as to what is being discussed. They are not computing MPG based on topping off the tank with "multiple small fillups". They are only completely filling the tank one time.
    What you said mattgg1 is what I wanted to say, you just beat me to it.

Something else to mention is that if a pump reads wrong, say, it shows an extra .1 gallon pumped for every 10, that difference will be smaller if you only pump one gallon (meaning it would be off by .01). It's not a difference of .1 with every addition of fuel, the amount that the pump is "off" will correlate to the amount of gas pumped. The "click" issue isn't an issue at all until you FILL the tank.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    MPG = 22.06
    60% city (stop n go)
    40% highway

Initially I was disappointed, but when I considered the following I guess it wasn't too bad.

1. 1st tank
    2. I'm constantly changing speeds for engine break-in reasons ie. no cruise.
    3. winter gas
    4. Temp. has been in the 20's
    5. I swapped the oem Michelin's for the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity's. Softer
    rubber - I think. Of course I don't know how much softer any rubber is at 20F.

Also, the "trip computer" on the Navi said 22.1mph when I filled up. I was pretty impressed with it's accuracy.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......seems right from here. That VCM must be treating you right. Hope you post trip (freeway) numbers when feasible.

best, ez....
    My emphasis is on precision. If you fill up 1.04 gallons everytime but record it as 1.0 gallon, and do so 12 times. Would it make a difference to consider that 0.04 gallon? Well, it would seem more logical to say the fill up was 1 gallon, and twelve times is 15 gallons, and that the car covered 375 miles on it for 25 mpg.

In reality, the person might have actually filled 15.6 gallons for 24.03 mpg. It is easy to ignore smaller numbers. If precision is maintained, then accuracy will simply depend on precision of the gas pump.
    Hmmm... I have just over 3500 on the odometer. Filled up the tank after 320 miles of mostly highway driving with maybe 25% short-distance, in town driving. My fuel economy dropped to 23.9mpg.

I guess I just have lots of things working against me . . high elevation (6000' average), 85 octane gas with 10% ethanol, cold temps (30 degrees), winter gasoline and fast highway speeds (70-85mph). But, as I've said on this post before, I don't think my I4 98 MT Accord ever got that low . . .
    fast highway speeds (70-85mph).

Consider wind and hills as well, and the very fact that is highlighted above. If you were getting better under identical condition in a 1998, then you might have a point of concern. Otherwise, it is newness (and getting used to a new car with AT versus being used to old with MT), and/or something else working against you.
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Which Honda Accord generation is considered to be more fuel-efficient, 2003-2007 or 2008+?
    The 4-cyl Accords have the same basic economy in each generation, both 7 and 8. The V6s are improved for 2008.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    3.5 tanks of gas and still seeing a steady 25.X MPG with my 08 LX 5 spd.

I did do a half tank with a mostly highway trip (filling up before I left and when I returned) and came up with a shade over 27 so I believe she'll do better over time (and once winter blend gas and snow tires go away in the spring.)

It's been my experience that that combination of factors in the winter looses me an average of 2 MPG. My Mazda6 would do a steady 24ish in summer, 22-23 in winter. The Protege5 did a solid 30 all summer long, in winter it dripped to 28ish.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    My sons always rev engines a lot @ 3000+ RPM. I only need 2000- 2500 RPM on my V6 most of the time. Do not brake abruptly, Do not accelerate too hard. Imagine you have an egg under the gas pedal and imaginarily try not to brake that egg.

I always achieve MPG which exceeds sticker's MPG. Honda is very good at achieving good MPG that is better than sticker's MPG figures. Good luck guys & gals.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I have approximately 700 miles on this car so far- and my most recent tank of fuel proved dismal in terms of fuel economy.... 19.68 MPG....

The tank prior I got about 22 MPG... I imagine the colder weather is playing a role in the drop- but certainly hope the mpg improves this spring -

Does anyone know when the engine is said to be broken in ? I suspect this will help fuel economy as well...
    Quick questions: In your previous car (assuming there was one), what was the vehicle, and what mileage did you get in the same conditions? What are your conditions (route type, traffic/hills/idling/warming up the car, etc)?
  • iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Can anyone give me some advice on sedan leather interior? Which looks the best?
    I am strongly considering the polished metal with black interior? However that white diamond pearl looks stylish with the ivory leather ? I want an upscale look but actually I am a little concerned about the light color? I am a family person with kids and a dog that will be riding often . Someone help me out. I have already made my mind up on the v-6. By the way what does anyone think of the gray it seems a little light in the pictures. It seems like the black interior goes better with the polished metal color.
    Try some of the other forums. This one is dedicated to fuel economy of the Accord. Here is a forum dedicated to the colors of the Accord. Honda Accord Colors Happy Hondaing! :)
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    My previous car was a 2003 Accord sedan- LX automatic - 4 cylinder... Under similar conditions, I was getting 24 mpg- city/highway combo/ few hills-- and normally little or no idle time..
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Your mileage will not be better than you previously got on the '03. It's a bigger/heavier car.
    Your mileage will not be better than you previously got on the '03. Your new car is a bigger/heavier car.
    I haven't posted an update in awhile. For those who don't know, this is a 2006 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl 5AT, with 26,700 miles. 40% oil life remaining.

406.1 miles
    13.085 gal @ $2.869/g = $37.54 of Texaco Regular

This tank had about 160 miles pure highway on it, with the rest being my in-town/suburban commuting that includes about 40hwy/60city (city meaning lots of traffic lights, hills).

For the record, the light came on about 1/2 a mile from the station, meaning there was at least 4 gallons left in the 17.1 gallon tank when the light came on.
  • iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    I am so sorry I didn't mean to post my question here. Didn't realize it until this morning.
    It's ok. I hope you found what you were looking for in the other forum!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Been busy/gone for a while.

mattgg1
    I found the hack by searching the forums can't remember if it was on here first or vtec. I did not discover it though, but somebody at Honda must have put it out there. I know Mazda has something similar with activating the trip computer on lower end vehicles.

tankbeans
    as far as remembering settings goes. If you have the a/c turned off and then turn off the car, you don't have to turn the a/c off again once you restart the car. If the car is running and you switch from one mode to another (defog to ft/defog) the a/c light will come on and need to be turned off again.

Now that it is winter (1 degree out this morning) the a/c should never come on if the temp is below freezing.

Speaking of winter some recent driving in very cold temperatures has yielded my worst highway mpg to date by a large margin. Very cold temps have a huge effect on mpg.

I had a tank with 470 miles that only gave me 30.4 mpg. This was 220 miles highway 30 miles stop and go then 220 miles highway return trip. My trip on the way there was at 65 mph for the first 30 miles with completely white roads and temps of about 20. The next 190 miles I averaged about 65-70 with precipitation the entire way ranging from sleet to snow to freezing rain. The temp was below 28 the entire trip. And yes I have 4 snow tires (michelin x-ice) so I was not driving too fast for conditions.

The roads were better on the return trip, and I averaged about 70 mph, but the temps were much colder - low single digits. My scangauge showed only 29.8 on that leg. First highway leg below 30 - the horror.

Nice looking car grad - looks just like mine.
    Dudley, is yours an EX cloth too? I was thinking you had an SE for some reason. They do look identical though!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes I have an SE, but on the outside it looks just like the EX cloth - unless you look from above and see the sunroof.

Same color and same wheels. Although right now mine is kinda white looking with all the salt.
    Salt is a big bummer. I guess I did the hack wrong, oh well. I'm not about to complain over small things. The next time my car gets washed will probably be in April. No point right now. It'll just get dirty within about 5 seconds anyway.

Grad, your car does look great have fun with it. Oh wait you already do ;) . Anywho, I'm just going to learn to switch off the defrost once it's done it's job for fear of messing up the computer by continuing to try the hack, too expensive to have it reset at the dealer I would imagine.
    To reset, I would think simply disconnecting and reconnecting the battery would suffice, but do whatever you think is best for you! :)
    Well, I now get over 40+ MPG on highway. I only drive 55 miles max since new. Is it possible to get 50 MPG if I continue to drive only 55 MPH max for the next 10,000 miles?
    If you have the patience to try it go for it. I know I wouldn't be able to do it because I usually give myself just enough time to get somewhere. Anyway, try it and report back. Do you live in the warmer states or the colder states? Meaning is having to defrost/defog an issue? Thegrad will have more questions to ask to see if it is feasible. Anyway, good luck.
    No.
    At 601 miles after the break-in if you still drive 55MPH in order to achieve 50MPG I think you should not buy a Honda. But you should exchange your Honda for a 1975 Pinto. This little Pinto can walk, crawl and sing along at same time and will achieve 90+MPG.
    Other options:

- A 2-wheel carrying 2 riders Vespa @ 250cc @ $7,000 + tax which can achieve 65MPG max.

- An Accord '08 V6 EX-L with lot of muscles but you should minimize your unescessary trips to save on gas. Its MPG is 19-29, real life is 27-32 MPG if ones applies "permanent fragile egg strategy under the gas pedal".
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....Its MPG is 19-29, real life is 27-32 MPG if ones applies "permanent fragile egg strategy under the gas pedal".

......actually - - - taking nothing from the 'fragile egg strategy' - - - - careful driving using no a/c, 2150 or so rpm in 6th OD on the 6M will return significantly better than 32 MPH........this sailor has verified the asymtotic relationship with the 40 mpg barrier countless times.............

Great car (performance AND economy)

season's best, ez....
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    im assuming it was a 4 cyl. and on flat ground, or slightly downhill. manual tranny.?70 degree temps, no ac
    It appears in 2005, there was a pzev accord made, that gets extremely good gas mileage. Anybody know what this is or can shed some light for me? It actually out does the accord hybrid for MPG by quite a bit according to the greenhybrid website.?
    All I know is that PZEV is the acronym for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle, but I'm assuming you knew that. My best guess is that the vehicle has more technology to capture exhaust fumes to get the most out of a gallon and thereby reduce emissions, which could be why it does better than the hybrid. I don't know the scientific terms or at least how the physics work, but that is my guess.

Some of the other acronyms that they use that I know of are L.E.V., U.L.E.V. and the Clarity, only available in a small part of California, which is classified as a Z.E.V.

The acronyms mean the following to the best of my knowledge. L.E.V.-Low Emission Vehicle, U.L.E.V.-Ultra Low Emission Vehicle and Z.E.V.-Zero Emission Vehicle. I only know about the Clarity because I went to honda.com and watched the video. The Clarity is their fuel-cell being tested in California.

There are other people out there who know more about this than do I, but I thought that I'd put my two cents in for whatever it's worth.

Any of you out there who know more that I forgive me for my ignorance or rambling.

Speaking of the Hybrid did they get rid of it for 08? I know this isn't part of the O.P.s question.
    Yes, they axed the accord hybrid. They will probably bring it back once they re-do it a lil better. They missed the mark when they tried to copy Lexus and put it with a powerful motor, disreguarding the economical side and going for more power like Lexus does. They should have offered it with the 4 cyl. and it would be selling like hotcakes...
    I have the PZEV 4-cylinder Accord, and it was bought in southern California. I only have 1,800 miles in the odometer so far, and I am getting at least 40 MPG on highway while driving 55 mph constantly. That includes a little hilly road. Average MPG (including city and highway) is around 35. Will I be able to obtain 45-50 MPG when it reaches over 10,000 miles?

By the way, my Accord is not a manual. It's an automatic.

Are you sure the PZEV accord gets better MPG? I never know that. If so, then I will hug my new Accord more.